PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a big season - Bailey Smith?

GVGjr
10-12-2022, 10:59 PM
There is no question that Bailey Smith is an exciting player. He's got pace and burst from a contest, a powerful kick albeit sometimes inaccurate and some real star power about him.

2022 was not a good season for him though with two suspensions, one for the use of an illicit substance and the other for headbutting an opposition player that really halted his progress.

With those distractions hopefully behind him what does 2023 hold for Smith?
Can he recapture the durability and his 2021 form?
Can he become more of a midfield force and make up for Dunkleys departure?

I suspect he will be one of the more interesting players for us next season.

jeemak
11-12-2022, 12:32 AM
Outside of the disruptions Smith's season was off the charts good statistically with a clear improvement across every metric outside of goals per game and disposal efficiency. These are the two areas on the field I want him to improve upon, though outside of that I guess he just needs to knuckle down and not be a wanker.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6618&pid2=6618&fid1=S&fid2=P&fopt2=2021

bornadog
11-12-2022, 10:40 AM
Smith gets his chance to have more midfield time with Dunkley gone, but as Jeemak pointed out he needs to improve disposal efficiency, especially running towards the forward 50. He tends to just slam the ball on his foot and not pick any target at all. If he can improve in this area, he will become a star.

Grantysghost
11-12-2022, 11:01 AM
Anyone with his running ability and work ethic is going to make it. Whether he becomes elite, that's the question. Considering he works so hard on everything else I'm sure he will be more than aware of his weaknesses and will be doing all he can to improve.
I'm hoping he stays clear of any off-field issues and can see him having a massive year.

Then moving to the Hawks ;)

Testekill
11-12-2022, 11:45 AM
If he can work on not blazing away by foot and instead thinking it through then he's elite. He was unusually bad by foot this season so hopefully he was just trying to do too much.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-12-2022, 12:01 PM
Time to step up.

I said it elsewhere but it's a big season for him. Needs to takeover and aim to be 'the man' in our midfield. Bont will spend time forward and needs someone else to demand attention - Smith is that player.

His decision making and ball use isn't great, but most of the top mids in the game aren't quality users by foot anyway. Needs to be an area of improvement, but it's just a piece of the puzzle.

He strikes me.as someone who obviously enjoys the limelight but perhaps without the responsibility. I want that to change; take the limelight, but take the responsibility.

mjp
11-12-2022, 01:53 PM
Geez.

I thought he was awesome last year...he's a young player with A LOT going on. And whilst some of it is (no doubt) self inflicted, when companies are throwing $'s at you, not too many people are able to say no. Dealing with the fall out can take a couple of years of learning. When I was in Melbourne for the GF this year I literally couldn't believe how many tv commercials and billboards featured Bailey...it's not quite at Ben Cousins in Perth 2003 levels but it isn't far off...

We're harsh sometimes.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-12-2022, 02:35 PM
There are 17 other team who would give their eye teeth for a player with Bailey Smith's skillset, fitness and determination.
I am more fearful that when he is next up for contract his profile is going to be off the charts and we'd best be prepared for the massive offers coming his way. I don't think it unreasonable to suggest Bailey Smith could in 2 years time be the biggest name in football.

Smith is a difference maker. He has his flaws, and yet all 18 clubs would gladly take him and his flaws for all that his strength's offer.
With Dunkley gone, I'm really looking forward as to how the midfield roles adjust in 2023, and I suspect Smith's capacity for growth and greater consistency is going to see him feature with even greater prominence.

hujsh
11-12-2022, 02:59 PM
21 was an amazing finish and 22 was an amazing start. I expect more of the same without the off field distractions

F'scary
11-12-2022, 03:51 PM
His only stuff up was his ancient history white powder photo on the internet incident. 4 week ban by club. Otherwise, while it would be great if he can find another gear, you could not realistically ask that much more from him. He is not the problem.

[edit] ok the headbutt. He better not repeat that. Easy win.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-12-2022, 07:08 PM
Enjoys far too much publicity from the Media and often seen socially in the entertainment spots in Melbourne. Needs the guidance of a Bontempelli as a senior player mentor.Has tremendous pace and ability which is vital to our future success.

Eastdog
11-12-2022, 08:47 PM
Hoping Bailey can have a good season. Looking for him to take more charge in the midfield. Certainly is an exciting player if he applies himself well could become an elite midfielder.

MrMahatma
12-12-2022, 01:38 PM
Gun. He's a very good player and I reckon could be a chaz smokey given he'll be in the middle more.

I actually liked the head butt. I mean, it sucked that he had to miss a couple of weeks due to suspension, and I get that it's ill discipline, but the Cats flat out OWN us. He crossed the line but at least someone went near the line.

Keep it up Baz. I'm soooo glad you're a doggie! One of the best draft picks we've ever made - excellent player and marketing dream.

PS: I reckon he'll be the biggest name in footy by the end of this season, if he's not already. I'm not saying best player, but he's a draw card and without doubt part (not all of it, but part of) the reason we're getting as much prime time exposure. We're exciting to watch and he's a big part of that - AND he'll draw non-Dogs supporters to the TV.

Mantis
12-12-2022, 03:50 PM
Enjoys far too much publicity from the Media and often seen socially in the entertainment spots in Melbourne. Needs the guidance of a Bontempelli as a senior player mentor.Has tremendous pace and ability which is vital to our future success.

Would you like him to sit at home and take up knitting?

hujsh
12-12-2022, 04:38 PM

Needles may be a bit too pointy. Maybe crochet?

Dogs 24/7
12-12-2022, 05:35 PM

Is there a need to discredit someones POV with an extreme overreaction of what was suggested? Id be happy to see a bit less next year of the socially popular Bailey Smith but knowing that is unlikely.

Mantis
13-12-2022, 01:14 PM
Is there a need to discredit someones POV with an extreme overreaction of what was suggested? Id be happy to see a bit less next year of the socially popular Bailey Smith but knowing that is unlikely.

Spare me the lecture.

How often does he even go out? He is hugely popular on social media and when he does venture out its news, but is he out more than other players of his age?

1eyedog
13-12-2022, 01:19 PM
Time to step up.

I said it elsewhere but it's a big season for him. Needs to takeover and aim to be 'the man' in our midfield. Bont will spend time forward and needs someone else to demand attention - Smith is that player.

His decision making and ball use isn't great, but most of the top mids in the game aren't quality users by foot anyway. Needs to be an area of improvement, but it's just a piece of the puzzle.

He strikes me.as someone who obviously enjoys the limelight but perhaps without the responsibility. I want that to change; take the limelight, but take the responsibility.

Lol he's already a gun and is improving exponentially. Won the Brisbane semi off his own boot.

Turned 22 a few days ago he's gonna be an absolute superstar at 25 if he isn't already.

soupman
13-12-2022, 02:07 PM

I'd personally rather we steered away from criticising players doing normal things like going out as a 21 year old or having a girlfriend (see Jamarra), especially when there is zero indication either has a negative impact on him.

I am however very happy to criticise marketing shills with no self respect or awareness, I call it the J. Dunkley loophole, wait no...that's too obvious, maybe the Josh D loophole?

Sedat
13-12-2022, 03:07 PM
I am however very happy to criticise marketing shills with no self respect or awareness, I call it the J. Dunkley loophole, wait no...that's too obvious, maybe the Josh D loophole?
I guess it takes some sort of skill to turn a spicy fajita into a boring flavourless toastie