PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Melbourne R1 2023 - Saturday March 18, 7:25PM, MCG

Pages : [1] 2 3

Eastdog
25-12-2022, 08:54 PM
Margin:
First goal:
Best on ground:

Eastdog
13-03-2023, 09:00 PM
Bump

chef
13-03-2023, 09:57 PM
Dogs by 23
First Goal the Lobster
BOG the Bont

Raels_d
13-03-2023, 10:14 PM
Dogs by 10
First Goal- Jamara
BIG - The Bont

angelopetraglia
13-03-2023, 10:40 PM
March.

The best month to be in Melbourne. The days get shorter. The sun is still shining. The wind is lighter. Cooler crisp mornings. The leaves start falling.

But most importantly, the footy is back …

bornadog
13-03-2023, 11:02 PM
How good is it to have this thread back

Dogs by 15
First Goal Naughton
BOG Bont

Crowd 55,000

Grantysghost
13-03-2023, 11:06 PM
Dogs by 17
First Goal Hannan
BOG Macrae.

Mantis
14-03-2023, 10:54 AM
I absolutely love that this thread was created on Xmas night... Easty was done with celebrating Xmas Day with the family and then it was all about the footy!

MrMahatma
14-03-2023, 11:51 AM
Dogs by 11.
FG: Libba.
BOG: Bont

Eastdog
14-03-2023, 11:59 AM
Margin: Dogs by 4 points
First goal: Marra
Best on ground: Libba
Crowd: 56,000

Eastdog
14-03-2023, 12:01 PM
I absolutely love that this thread was created on Xmas night... Easty was done with celebrating Xmas Day with the family and then it was all about the footy!

Just was relaxing Christmas night creating new threads for the new season in 2023 :D

Eastdog
14-03-2023, 12:33 PM
March.

The best month to be in Melbourne. The days get shorter. The sun is still shining. The wind is lighter. Cooler crisp mornings. The leaves start falling.

But most importantly, the footy is back …

Really good to have it back. It is a great outlet for all of us after the working week.

Bumper Bulldogs
14-03-2023, 09:15 PM
Dogs by 27 points
1st Goal JUH
BOG English

azabob
14-03-2023, 09:25 PM
I despise this round one fixture.

I despise Melbourne. Their smugness makes me sick and so angry.

Melbourne by 37 points
1st Goal: Dale
BOG: Bontempelli

Grantysghost
14-03-2023, 10:34 PM

Melbourne by 37 points
Agree, why on earth is it their home game again if it's a thing to start the year?
Every other fixture like this they either rotate or have a deal (eg Melbourne always get Queens Birthday I believe).

DOG GOD
14-03-2023, 10:40 PM

Melbourne by 37 points

Yep. Melb by 28 points
1st goal: Bont
BOG : Libba

bornadog
14-03-2023, 11:32 PM
Calling all new WOOFERs - come on don't be shy to post

Prince Imperial
14-03-2023, 11:40 PM
WB by 17 points.

FG: Lobb

BOG: Jones

Happy Days
15-03-2023, 12:24 AM
We gonna win. Dees can’t kick a score without Fritsch and I think we can at least match them everywhere else.

Dogs by 15
First goal - Naughton
BOG - Bont

josie
15-03-2023, 02:06 AM
Dogs by 1
First goal Treloar
BOG Marra

Max469
15-03-2023, 02:43 AM
Dogs by 3
First goal Lobb
BOG Libba

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2023, 09:07 AM
Confidence is high after a big pre-season.

Bont is ready to rip them apart.
Libba at his best.
A forward line to generate fear.

Dogs by 47
1st Goal Darcy
BOG Bont

Hotdog60
15-03-2023, 10:18 AM
It's good we are playing at the 'G' because we will be playing there at the end of September and it good to get some practice in.

Dogs by 27
1st goal Scott
BOG Libba

Mofra
15-03-2023, 11:28 AM
I was actually ready to tip Melbourne until news today of Fritsch being out (with Viney & Salem who were already unlikely to play)

Dogs by 14
1st goal Lobb
BOG Liam Jones

Mantis
15-03-2023, 11:28 AM
Goodwin has confirmed that all of Viney, Salem & Fritsch will miss this week which is nice given we have a few out too... but pretty clear there's are better performed/ more important than our's.

Pugz89
15-03-2023, 11:32 AM
Margin: 16
First goal: Toby McLean
Best on ground: Libba

dog town
15-03-2023, 11:37 AM
I wonder if Fritsch being out means they will risk Crozier on the highest tall (usually McDonald) and opt against playing 3 key backs. My read was we were looking at trialling Crozier on Fritsch and playing 3 talls which I didn’t quite like but seemed necessary. I am not sure Bruce, Crozier with the two key defenders affords us enough ability to challenge Melbourne with the ball, would prefer we only take the 3 in.

Mantis
15-03-2023, 11:45 AM
I wonder if Fritsch being out means they will risk Crozier on the highest tall (usually McDonald) and opt against playing 3 key backs. My read was we were looking at trialling Crozier on Fritsch and playing 3 talls which I didn’t quite like but seemed necessary. I am not sure Bruce, Crozier with the two key defenders affords us enough ability challenge Melbourne with the ball, would prefer we only take the 3 in.

As with you I'd be ok with Crozier & Richards taking the 3rd tall as I don't trust Bruce to 1/ defend and 2/ distribute the ball... he needs to show form in the VFL team before he's selected.

Happy Days
15-03-2023, 01:09 PM
As with you I'd be ok with Crozier & Richards taking the 3rd tall as I don't trust Bruce to 1/ defend and 2/ distribute the ball... he needs to show form in the VFL team before he's selected.

I’m with this, but also from the point of view that I don’t rate their third tall whoever it may be out of McDonald Brown or Schache, and think we can use it against them by putting a smaller gunner on them.

Bulldog4life
15-03-2023, 01:22 PM
We beat Melbourne last time and we will beat them again.

Margin: 28
First goal: Lobby Lloyd
Best on ground: Bont

dog town
15-03-2023, 01:38 PM
May in doubt with a calf strain according to Mitch Cleary.

doggies ftw
15-03-2023, 02:04 PM
Our new look line up is well placed to take on the Dees IMO.

Their midfield & ruck duo is great but if anyone can match it it’s us, all we need to do is go close to breaking even in the middle and we will score way too much for them. Their backline has always killed us but we finally have the talls to split their defenders, whoever cops Lever on will destroy him if he thinks he can zone off to help out Petty & May. Plus they’ve always cut our zone up with their slow and methodical approach - with a more settled defence led by Jones, who is happy to sit back and hold the defensive line rather than our crazy aggressive high push, with their slow build up play their forward line will just not be damaging enough to go toe to toe with the score we’ll put on the board. Especially without Fritsch.

It’s a great time to get em and I’m expecting us to start our year off with a bang, dogs by 23, Baz BOG, Lobb first goal

Axe Man
15-03-2023, 02:25 PM
Something strange going on with tickets for the game. I managed to purchase an adult GA ticket for $19 (meant to be $27 as far as I am aware) and concession for $13. However when I was playing around it was also coming back with weirdly high prices for GA as well. Ticketek site seemed glitchy but I jumped on the tickets when the right price came up.

If you are planning on attending GA take a look.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-03-2023, 02:27 PM
Dogs by 44 points
First Goal: Naughton

josie
15-03-2023, 02:49 PM
Dogs by 1
First goal Treloar
BOG Marra

With Fritsch and Viney out I amend margin-Dogs by 23.

aker39
15-03-2023, 04:32 PM
Dogs to wear Blue jumper and socks and white shorts

Mofra
15-03-2023, 04:35 PM
I wonder if Fritsch being out means they will risk Crozier on the highest tall (usually McDonald) and opt against playing 3 key backs. My read was we were looking at trialling Crozier on Fritsch and playing 3 talls which I didn’t quite like but seemed necessary. I am not sure Bruce, Crozier with the two key defenders affords us enough ability to challenge Melbourne with the ball, would prefer we only take the 3 in.
McDonald, Brown and Gawn/Grundy.
I think Bruce plays

bornadog
15-03-2023, 05:23 PM
Dogs to wear Blue jumper and socks and white shorts

Excellent

josie
15-03-2023, 05:33 PM
Goodness - forecast now max 34C on Saturday.

bornadog
15-03-2023, 05:40 PM
Goodness - forecast now max 34C on Saturday.

Its' ok, drops to 32 at 7pm :D

dog town
15-03-2023, 06:04 PM
McDonald, Brown and Gawn/Grundy.
I think Bruce plays

Yep I had them pencilled in for 3 tall forwards just arguing we shouldn’t play Bruce and Crozier. I would be inclined to risk Crozier on McDonald or Richards (only when high) to ensure we have enough mobility to challenge them with ball movement. Odds are we will play it safe and go with Bruce.

For all the focus on the 10 minutes in the 21 GF where they scored from centre bounce if you look at it all the last 5-6 games have been relatively close statistically. The thing that separates the games we lost apart from the GF (still happened early) is they have pinned us in our D50 and we have chopped the footy up. We need to be able to score from turnover and ball movement not just bounce/stoppage.

The Underdog
15-03-2023, 06:17 PM
Something strange going on with tickets for the game. I managed to purchase an adult GA ticket for $19 (meant to be $27 as far as I am aware) and concession for $13. However when I was playing around it was also coming back with weirdly high prices for GA as well. Ticketek site seemed glitchy but I jumped on the tickets when the right price came up.

If you are planning on attending GA take a look.

Maybe some weird dynamic pricing bullshit?

bornadog
15-03-2023, 06:42 PM
Yep I had them pencilled in for 3 tall forwards just arguing we shouldn’t play Bruce and Crozier. I would be inclined to risk Crozier on McDonald or Richards (only when high) to ensure we have enough mobility to challenge them with ball movement. Odds are we will play it safe and go with Bruce.

For all the focus on the 10 minutes in the 21 GF where they scored from centre bounce if you look at it all the last 5-6 games have been relatively close statistically. The thing that separates the games we lost apart from the GF (still happened early) is they have pinned us in our D50 and we have chopped the footy up. We need to be able to score from turnover and ball movement not just bounce/stoppage.

I think McDonald would be too big and strong for Crozier.

azabob
15-03-2023, 06:53 PM
Maybe some weird dynamic pricing bullshit?

Sounds about right. They did that for the tennis.

Mofra
15-03-2023, 07:02 PM

That's a worry, as Bruce's disposal as a back has been terrible and Crozier kicks long down the line every. single. time.
At least we have Richards & Dale as starting defenders, and can send Caleb into a sweeper role to run and chip the ball out of there.

Virgin-Dog
15-03-2023, 07:14 PM
Dogs by 20
First Goal - Baker
BOG - Bont

EasternWest
15-03-2023, 07:58 PM

Croz needs more red meat.

S Coast Simon
15-03-2023, 08:51 PM
Dogs by 32
First Goal Westie
BOG Liam Jones
Jamara Kicks 5 again

Mavericks
15-03-2023, 08:52 PM
Dogs by 30 if May is out. Jones really stabilises the backline and Dees fwd line is their Achilles heal with their best forward out. Would be very disappointing to drop this one.

jazzadogs
15-03-2023, 09:16 PM

That's only an issue if we leave them one out, and I don't think that will happen with Jones and Keath patrolling. All Croz needs to do is occupy him.

jazzadogs
15-03-2023, 09:18 PM
Dogs by 30
Bont BOG, 3 votes out of his perfect 69 for the year
Darcy first goal

bornadog
15-03-2023, 11:14 PM
That's only an issue if we leave them one out, and I don't think that will happen with Jones and Keath patrolling. All Croz needs to do is occupy him.

So is the feeling Bruce will be left out of the team?

jazzadogs
16-03-2023, 12:22 AM
So is the feeling Bruce will be left out of the team?

Not sure it's a feeling, but it's my opinion on what should happen. Melbourne aren't going to play four tall defenders just because we have four tall forwards...you have to play to your strengths, and I'm not sure Bruce is a strength in defence at this stage.

FrediKanoute
16-03-2023, 05:41 AM
Dees by 30
Hunter BOG,
Schache first goal

dog town
16-03-2023, 07:25 AM
Would say Gawn will spend less time forward than originally planned now that May is out. They will likely try to deploy him behind the ball a bit more which means potentially more Grundy forward.

GVGjr
16-03-2023, 09:17 AM
Would say Gawn will spend less time forward than originally planned now that May is out. They will likely try to deploy him behind the ball a bit more which means potentially more Grundy forward.

I think that makes a lot of sense particularly if our taller forward line is working.

Funke disco
16-03-2023, 10:15 AM
Dogs by 16
Bont BOG
JUH first goal

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2023, 11:01 AM
Dogs by 19.
BOG Bont.
FG Lobb.

azabob
16-03-2023, 11:10 AM
Dogs by 16
Bont BOG
JUH first goal

Post more dude. Don't be a stranger.

Eastdog
16-03-2023, 03:58 PM
https://www.mcg.org.au/whats-on/events-calendar/2023/march/afl-round-1---melbourne-v-western-bulldogs-march-18-2023

GENERAL ADMISSION SEATING
Please note, general admission seating areas are subject to change. Continue to check regularly for updates and check the general admission screens at your gate upon arrival to the MCG.

Shane Warne Stand
M5-M6
M7 (rows A-O)
M12 (rows A-U - no alcohol)
Q1-Q15 1/2

Ponsford Stand
M28 (rows A-Z)
M29-M32
M33 (rows T-NN)
M34-M36
Level 4 closed

Olympic Stand
Q49-Q53 (rows K-MM)
Q54-Q57

AFL Reserve
Not available

CHEER SQUAD AREAS
Melbourne: M3 (rows A-NN)
Western Bulldogs: M33 (rows A-S)

Boots
16-03-2023, 05:20 PM
Is May confirmed out or is it still just suspected?

GVGjr
16-03-2023, 05:21 PM
Is May confirmed out or is it still just suspected?

I heard it said that he will most likely be out for 2 weeks. It will be confirmed in a couple of hour Boots :)

NoseBleed
16-03-2023, 05:24 PM
I work with someone who also works at the Dee's, and when I suggested May would be out she scoffed.

Axe Man
16-03-2023, 05:26 PM
No confirmation on May yet but they have confirmed 2 debutants in Judd McVee and Bailey Laurie.

Boots
16-03-2023, 05:34 PM
I work with someone who also works at the Dee's, and when I suggested May would be out she scoffed.

Yeah it has the feel of silly buggers to me. Trying to get some psychological points ahead of the match.

bornadog
16-03-2023, 05:50 PM
Yeah it has the feel of silly buggers to me. Trying to get some psychological points ahead of the match.

You know, I would prefer Melbourne had all their best players in - no excuses then.

Happy Days
16-03-2023, 06:06 PM
You know, I would prefer Melbourne had all their best players in - no excuses then.

Nah this way is much better I reckon.

Prince Imperial
16-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Nah this way is much better I reckon.

I agree. Let's belt them by as much as possible and finish the H&A the highest we can and ahead of them.

GVGjr
16-03-2023, 08:39 PM

Bit the same, if we lose you really have to question our quality or structure and if we win we will question how much the outs impacted them.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-03-2023, 02:43 PM
Anyone know if the afl has a heat policy?

Axe Man
17-03-2023, 04:19 PM
What the coach said: Round 1 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1283909/what-the-coach-said-round-1?fbclid=IwAR3Ik4w4_q7_DL3akSoskAlOkatQY2j-XPdN359pJCmLUCPDSEvqRO_xd0E)

The key talking points from Luke Beveridge’s weekly press conference.

Tall forwards

We obviously had a reasonable outing against the Kangaroos – the thing that was pleasing about that game was half our goals came from turnover and half from stoppage. It was a pretty good ratio. Our key forwards were influential in that game. A little bit in all of us is intrigued about how it all plays out.

For the first time since I’ve coached our club, we’ve got depth through there with a roster of guys who can definitely shake up the competition. In that sense for our supporters, it’s really exciting.

If you’re standing next to Sam Darcy or Rory Lobb or if Tim English drifts down and you still have Aaron Naughton and Jamarra to contend with, those 1 v 1s are probably going to need some help. That will be an interesting part of the byplay, how well our forwards can be relevant and isolate.

Pressure forwards

JJ is in and Mitch is in – they’ll provide some of the forward pressure. Laitham is out for a little while still. The role players through there are ever important, we still have the mids that play a little bit of forward time because they have too. Our wings are evolving, we’ve got Oskar Baker and Bailey Williams is spending a lot of time as a winger. Anthony Scott can also do that. We feel they will work together tomorrow night to provide that.

Marcus Bontempelli

If Marcus can play any better than 2021 it would be quite amazing. We all feel responsible for him not winning the Brownlow that year because at the end of that year, our last few games weren’t where they needed to be. Every Brownlow Medallist needs a good team around them. He was still influential at times last year, definitely at the end when he was starting to feel a bit better. If he could get close to it, that would be amazing.

Bailey Smith & Adam Treloar

Adam and Bailey have both had their interruptions – it’s one of the reasons why we had Caleb and Cody running through the midfield, having contingencies in place if those marquee midfielders weren’t available. We exposed some of the boys to centre bounce. Whatever Bailey and Adam do on Saturday, they’ll continue to flourish from there. They’re absolutely ready – there last month has been extremely solid.

Top 4 mentality

Aspirationally every year we want to be the best. I think we’ve always said that, we aim to be, we don’t claim we’re going to be. There has always been a strong belief that we can be, which is a great starting point. I like the fact the players are declaring that’s where we want to head this year and that’s the tick off point. It is the way we all feel. Depends on what unfolds, everyone is after some good fortune with their playing roster and it means a lot in the challenges of 23 rounds. We haven’t been there yet in my time, but the same aspiration has been there every year.

jazzadogs
17-03-2023, 05:39 PM
What the coach said: Round 1 (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1283909/what-the-coach-said-round-1?fbclid=IwAR3Ik4w4_q7_DL3akSoskAlOkatQY2j-XPdN359pJCmLUCPDSEvqRO_xd0E)

The key talking points from Luke Beveridge’s weekly press conference.

Tall forwards

We obviously had a reasonable outing against the Kangaroos – the thing that was pleasing about that game was half our goals came from turnover and half from stoppage. It was a pretty good ratio. Our key forwards were influential in that game. A little bit in all of us is intrigued about how it all plays out.

For the first time since I’ve coached our club, we’ve got depth through there with a roster of guys who can definitely shake up the competition. In that sense for our supporters, it’s really exciting.

If you’re standing next to Sam Darcy or Rory Lobb or if Tim English drifts down and you still have Aaron Naughton and Jamarra to contend with, those 1 v 1s are probably going to need some help. That will be an interesting part of the byplay, how well our forwards can be relevant and isolate.

Pressure forwards

JJ is in and Mitch is in – they’ll provide some of the forward pressure. Laitham is out for a little while still. The role players through there are ever important, we still have the mids that play a little bit of forward time because they have too. Our wings are evolving, we’ve got Oskar Baker and Bailey Williams is spending a lot of time as a winger. Anthony Scott can also do that. We feel they will work together tomorrow night to provide that.

Marcus Bontempelli

If Marcus can play any better than 2021 it would be quite amazing. We all feel responsible for him not winning the Brownlow that year because at the end of that year, our last few games weren’t where they needed to be. Every Brownlow Medallist needs a good team around them. He was still influential at times last year, definitely at the end when he was starting to feel a bit better. If he could get close to it, that would be amazing.

Bailey Smith & Adam Treloar

Adam and Bailey have both had their interruptions – it’s one of the reasons why we had Caleb and Cody running through the midfield, having contingencies in place if those marquee midfielders weren’t available. We exposed some of the boys to centre bounce. Whatever Bailey and Adam do on Saturday, they’ll continue to flourish from there. They’re absolutely ready – there last month has been extremely solid.

Top 4 mentality

Aspirationally every year we want to be the best. I think we’ve always said that, we aim to be, we don’t claim we’re going to be. There has always been a strong belief that we can be, which is a great starting point. I like the fact the players are declaring that’s where we want to head this year and that’s the tick off point. It is the way we all feel. Depends on what unfolds, everyone is after some good fortune with their playing roster and it means a lot in the challenges of 23 rounds. We haven’t been there yet in my time, but the same aspiration has been there every year.

Some great responses from Bevo there.

bornadog
17-03-2023, 06:11 PM
Some great responses from Bevo there.

I love this bit about top 4

I like the fact the players are declaring that’s where we want to head this year and that’s the tick off point. It is the way we all feel.

GVGjr
18-03-2023, 09:46 AM
I wonder how critical our use of the tactical sub might be tonight?
We are going in tall and a bit light on of running players and yet our emergencies aren't noted runners. Given that it will be hot conditions it could be a critical decision of when to utilise that option.

SonofScray
18-03-2023, 11:58 AM
I’m really looking forward to the season starting tonight. First time since the pandemic started that I actually feel fully invested and keen to go.

Bulldog4life
18-03-2023, 12:02 PM
I feel confident we will win. Fritsch and May being out is a big plus as they both always give us grief. Feeling bullish.

Prince Imperial
18-03-2023, 12:45 PM
The wind is forecast to drop sharply around the time of the cool change and prior to the start of the game.

Unleash the four headed monster!

bornadog
18-03-2023, 12:54 PM
The wind is forecast to drop sharply around the time of the cool change and prior to the start of the game.

Some rain forecast over East Melbourne from 1pm to 3pm. Hopefully doesn't effect the surface. &pm it drops from 32 to 28 and then by 9pm to 23.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-03-2023, 01:28 PM
Dogs by 22 pts
First Goal Scott
BOG Macrae

bornadog
18-03-2023, 03:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fra3IRJaEAA6qnF?format=jpg&name=large

Stevo
18-03-2023, 04:10 PM
Dogs by a single point. Its got the makings of a nail biter.

Jeanette54
18-03-2023, 04:34 PM
Some rain forecast over East Melbourne from 1pm to 3pm. Hopefully doesn't effect the surface. &pm it drops from 32 to 28 and then by 9pm to 23.

If we get some light rain it might help the surface to settle a little. The reports of injuries, supposedly brought on by the surface Collingwood v Geelong are a bit of a worry.

Dogs by 2 points
First Goal: Jamarra

Jasper
18-03-2023, 04:56 PM
I’m really looking forward to the season starting tonight. First time since the pandemic started that I actually feel fully invested and keen to go.

Same here, nervous energy but excited. Lets get off to a good start and bury the Dees.

whythelongface
18-03-2023, 04:58 PM
Dogs by 22
BOG Bont
First goal Jamarra

Jasper
18-03-2023, 04:59 PM

It doesnt feel as hot as the temperature gauge is saying. Our players will adapt.

First goal to Naughton and the dogs by 20 points.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 05:39 PM
If we get some light rain it might help the surface to settle a little. The reports of injuries, supposedly brought on by the surface Collingwood v Geelong are a bit of a worry.

Dogs by 2 points
First Goal: Jamarra

Threat of rain now gone, bit sunny here at the moment. Change still forecast for 7pm onwards

angelopetraglia
18-03-2023, 07:40 PM
Cool change has hit. Almost perfect weather for footy. Just a little windy, but should continue to subside.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-03-2023, 08:05 PM
Doesn't look like a big crowd at the moment

bornadog
18-03-2023, 08:16 PM
10 umpires out there - gets more ridiculous every year

Topdog
18-03-2023, 08:21 PM
So excited to see our new forward line in action

A lot of media focus on Melbourne being able to easily counter attack which seems to neglect that Marra and in particular Naughton are very agile and work hard

bornadog
18-03-2023, 08:28 PM
Caleb Smith and Darcy on bench

chef
18-03-2023, 08:30 PM
booing hunter, that's a bit shit

jeemak
18-03-2023, 08:32 PM
That’s shit from Libya after a strong mark.

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 08:32 PM
booing hunter, that's a bit shit

Totally. Knock it off.

So we're just gonna kick to Lever all night. Cool, cool.

Topdog
18-03-2023, 08:33 PM
Lucky there Naughton

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 08:34 PM
English, somebody do something about this issue he has playing ruck.

Topdog
18-03-2023, 08:36 PM
Pretty shit to be opened up like that. Too many collapsing onto the ball.

Mantis
It’s only early, but our team defence, which we hear has been a big focus is as bad as ever… backs are all over the place.

Grantysghost
Lever give me strength.

Marra put body on him.

Topdog
18-03-2023, 08:38 PM
How on Earth do you hit the man on the mark there? Bloody hell

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 08:38 PM
Nothing seems to have changed.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-03-2023, 08:40 PM
We need to not get sucked into just bombing it into the f50 as we have 4 talks. Hoyt up targets is the go.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 08:41 PM
Nothing seems to have changed.

Yep. We look horribly slow.

Topdog
18-03-2023, 08:41 PM
Keep kicking to Lever Dogs, it will work one day

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 08:45 PM
We need to not get sucked into just bombing it into the f50 as we have 4 talks. Hoyt up targets is the go.

I feel like we've been saying this for ever.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 08:46 PM
It's only half a quarter of round 1 but what I've seen is not encouraging and much of the same issues weve seen for a while. Let's hope we turn it around.

Topdog
18-03-2023, 08:47 PM
Think that goal may have calmed us down a bit

Topdog
18-03-2023, 08:49 PM
lovely entry Macrae, great run Treloar

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 08:50 PM
It's only half a quarter of round 1 but what I've seen is not encouraging and much of the same issues weve seen for a while. Let's hope we turn it around.

I think we were ordinary early but we're definitely playing better now. Lowered the eyes a few times and it's made a difference.

Grantysghost
Marra kicks so straight.

G-Mo77
I think we were ordinary early but we're definitely playing better now. Lowered the eyes a few times and it's made a difference.

Worked our way back which is good. Still seems like an absolute grind on every entry.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 08:51 PM
Stupid mistakes

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 08:51 PM
Our skills are awful early. We're panicking but also stuffing up under no pressure.

MrMahatma
18-03-2023, 08:53 PM
We’re winning. I mean, we’re beating ourselves, so does that mean we’re winning?

MrMahatma
18-03-2023, 08:53 PM
So many simple mistakes. Like the GF. Costing us early goals.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 08:55 PM
Naughton geee

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 08:56 PM
Settled into the game after an awful start. Just gotta chill out a bit when ball in hand.

Pace and spread is a worry.

macca
that was poor kick on the left by Daniel. Gawn being influential that quarter, providing chopout in defense.

We gave up 2 goals to poor skills error.

MrMahatma
Naughton geee

Was almost my dream play. He just missed the goal.

merantau
Poor start. We look very rusty. But verg slick with the turnovers!

The Bulldogs Bite
Mids dominated early. Skills really letting us down, not enough pressure on turnover either.

MrMahatma
We settled and we gifted them a couple. We’ll turn it on in the 2nd

macca
18-03-2023, 08:57 PM
Was almost my dream play. He just missed the goal.

Have we worked on goal kicking over the pre-season?

The Bulldogs Bite
18-03-2023, 08:58 PM
I'm worried about Keath in transition, he just looks lost.

Surprisingly Bruce was actually reading the play well that quarter.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 08:59 PM
Up on CP but down on clearances

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 09:00 PM

Yes he's a big concern coming off last year.

Bruce has actually looked like our best defender.

Keath may be injured not sure what it is.

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 09:02 PM
Missed kick inside 50 again

Topdog
18-03-2023, 09:02 PM
Great finish by Bailey W

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 09:05 PM
Poor kick from Macrae. He had so much more time but panick kicked.

bulldogsthru&thru
Naughton marking well as usual

Topdog
Nice follow up work by English after a really poor handball

Grantysghost
Nice work Dogs! Cmon.

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 09:07 PM

Yes he's a big concern coming off last year.

Bruce has actually looked like our best defender.

Keath may be injured not sure what it is.

Wary of saying this but Bruce does not look terrible in the backline.

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 09:07 PM
Better start to this quarter. Mids doing very well in there

Hot_Doggies
18-03-2023, 09:08 PM
Has been a great player, but five years is looking a looong time for Macrae.

Mantis
18-03-2023, 09:09 PM
Really impressed by English so far… much better ruck craft & follow up.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 09:09 PM
Will we ever become good at hitting targets inside 50?

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Will we ever become good at hitting targets inside 50?

No, doesn't seem like it. Then they go coast to coast and hit an open player.

Topdog
18-03-2023, 09:12 PM
We kinda look on top at the moment

bornadog
18-03-2023, 09:13 PM
Is Lobb ever going to take a mark

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 09:13 PM
We kinda look on top at the moment

We actually just look like the better team, not that we're just playing better. This feels weird.

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 09:14 PM
Wow, Tim English is not happy. I love it. Pickett what a grub.

Topdog
18-03-2023, 09:15 PM
Pickett will get weeks for that.

Terrible miss by Bont

MrMahatma
18-03-2023, 09:16 PM
Bont FFS

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 09:17 PM
Bont is the greatest player ever. Imagine if he could kick!
Pickett what a sniper.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 09:17 PM
Pickett should get at least 4 for that. That action is horribly dangerous. But the stupid afl will look at no injury to Smith and give him a week.

MrMahatma
18-03-2023, 09:19 PM
Keeping them in it.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 09:20 PM
Feel like we should be a couple goals more in front

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 09:22 PM
Wasted opportunities are going to bite us. We're on top everywhere and just can't score

Topdog
Feel like we should be a couple goals more in front

We certainly should be. Costly misses and fumbles.

bulldogsthru&thru
Far out. We are wasting this. 5pts but should have been at least 20

bornadog
Too much wrestling going on with Naughton

Topdog
18-03-2023, 09:24 PM
Pickett was absolutely shocked that he got a free kick there

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 09:24 PM
Soft free but Libba didn't need to do it.

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 09:25 PM
Gawn tackles Marra to spoil the mark up one end, Pickett gets the softest free ever up the other.

We should be 4 goals up.

MrMahatma
18-03-2023, 09:26 PM
Gawn tackles Marra to spoil the mark up one end, Pickett gets the softest free ever up the other.

We should be 4 goals up.
You can’t pull jumpers.

macca
18-03-2023, 09:26 PM
Soft free but Libba didn't need to do it.

these soft frees destroying moment in games, yeah 4 umpires making these games more neutral. NOT!

it was just a jumper shove.

Topdog
18-03-2023, 09:27 PM
The difference in f50 play is depressing

G-Mo77
Just like that. All those missed ****ing opportunities costing us.

Topdog
You can’t pull jumpers.

Not even Pickett thought it was a free kick

angelopetraglia
18-03-2023, 09:28 PM
Had all the momentum. Had the game on our terms. Don’t put them away. Blow chance after chance after chance. They hit us on the counter. Then get a cheap free kick. Only ourselves to blame.

bulldogsthru&thru
This has been a horrendous 5 minutes

Grantysghost
Man, Melbourne play tempo so well.

We blow games quickly.

MrMahatma
Bont’s miss. #turningpoint

Topdog
18-03-2023, 09:29 PM
We blow games quickly.

Literally nothing changed on that front

macca
This has been a horrendous 5 minutes

These last 5 minutes is what makes us drop from a top 4 team, trouble staying in the 8

bornadog
****ing umpires are now Cheating

angelopetraglia
Only ourselves to blame. We are our own worst enemy.

chef
18-03-2023, 09:30 PM
GF flashbacks

macca
When Tom MacDonald has an influence on a game, we have just completely dropped our marbles.

bulldogsthru&thru
Nothing. Has. Changed.

Oh well....

Mantis
Haven’t seen this before have we?

azabob
18-03-2023, 09:31 PM
****ing umpires are now Cheating

Nah, just our players cheating us.

macca
Only ourselves to blame. We are our own worst enemy.

WTF was that free in the centre for goal square infringement ?

The Bulldogs Bite
Am I watching the 2021 GF?

Rubbish midfield

EasternWest
Bont’s miss. #turningpoint

Death, taxes, Bont missing set shots.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2023, 09:32 PM
Yes. Bont’s miss after the Kozzie bump was a massive turning point.

Grantysghost
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjHNVDu2OwF3tlao/giphy.gif

5 goals in 17 disposals.

ledge
Same old no one defensive side of centre . And bang 3 goals.

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 09:34 PM
Melbourne looked composed when we were bossing the game, we lose our shit.

Now it's going to get ugly. Need leaders. That Kozzy hit did the trick.

macca
18-03-2023, 09:35 PM
Petracca is getting loose. Treloar really poor efforts in tackling

MrMahatma
18-03-2023, 09:37 PM
Bruce having a mare

bornadog
Nah, just our players cheating us.
Those two frees gave them momentum

angelopetraglia
Five goals.

First one from the softest free kick to Max Gawn. Wasn’t there. Coast to coast. Ben Brown banana.

Infringement for not being in the goal square. Don’t they have to wait until he gets into position if Liam Jones is going off with an injury? Results in a goal.

Kozzie. Phantom free kick.

So yes, massive run on. But gee whiz gifted some soft goals.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-03-2023, 09:38 PM
Out coached.

How many times has Naughton been out numbered? Lobb is too high, Darcy ineffective.

Mids completely outplayed. Any danger Bont or a leader can take it upon themselves to man Petracca?

Jones injury the cherry on top.

josie
A half to go. C’mon Bevo & Bont, weave some magic. Oh and please tag Petracca.

bornadog
What is the situation with Jones?

Hot_Doggies
Macrae three blatant turnovers going into forward 50.

azabob
Those two frees gave them momentum

Reality is we cannot stop momentum, that’s the disappointing part.

azabob
18-03-2023, 09:39 PM
What is the situation with Jones?

Arm apparently. Not sure how serious

ledge
18-03-2023, 09:39 PM
I’m ok if Bruce makes errors during play under pressure but not kicking it out on the full off a mark !

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 09:40 PM
Bombing inside 50 - check.
No pressure on the turnover- check
Getting smashed in transition - check
Bont missing important set shots - check
Losing the plot and letting an avalanche of goals- check.
English getting owned in the ruck- check
No tagging a mid - check

To top it off we lose our only decent tall defender.

All that is 5 minutes. We went from should have been 4 goals up to nearly 4 goals down in 5 minutes. It's gonna be a loooong season where we scrap for 8th.

bornadog
I’m ok if Bruce makes errors during play under pressure but not kicking it out on the full off a mark !
That was bad but I think he is played ok

Mantis
Macrae three blatant turnovers going into forward 50.

And no accountability in the midfield… he needs to lift.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-03-2023, 09:42 PM
You know we have new cattle but the same old issue. We can’t kick straight and at centre bounces when we don’t have momentum we have no one goal side of our mids.

Deja vu

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 09:43 PM
Looks like a shoulder for Jones.

We are getting outcoached for sure. I'm not exactly sure what we've worked on all summer.

JanLorMill
18-03-2023, 09:43 PM
Should have 3-4 goals in front. Macrae’s kicking horrible.
Tim English not good enough. Not in the contest too often.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 09:44 PM

We are getting outcoached for sure. I'm not exactly sure what we've worked on all summer.
tell me how we are outcoached

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Some similar frailties showing themselves again. Against a significantly weakened Demon's outfit, we're been really inconsistent in application and execution.

Better lift in the second half.

ledge
Bombing inside 50 - check.
No pressure on the turnover- check
Getting smashed in transition - check
Bont missing important set shots - check
Losing the plot and letting an avalanche of goals- check.
English getting owned in the ruck- check
No tagging a mid - check

To top it off we lose our only decent tall forward.

All that is 5 minutes. We went from should have been 4 goals up to nearly 4 goals down in 5 minutes. It's gonna be a loooong season where we scrap for 8th.

Who is the decent forward we lost ?

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 09:45 PM
Just in case we forgot - they're missing Viney, Salem, May and Fritsch. This is not great viewing for us.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 09:46 PM
Should have 3-4 goals in front. Macrae’s kicking horrible.
Tim English not good enough. Not in the contest too often.
English 13 disposals 8 contested and 12 hitouts

bulldogsthru&thru
Who is the decent forward we lost ?

Oops meant defender

JanLorMill

Maybe not on the day. Yes We look out of balance.
English getting monstered isn’t a coaching problem today. We saw this every losing final the past 4 seasons

azabob
18-03-2023, 09:47 PM

English stats look ok. But Gawn and Grundy to a lesser extent have had a lot more influence on the game.

JanLorMill
18-03-2023, 09:48 PM
He had a great patch when we got on top. We didn’t capitalise. He was terrible when Melbourne got on top.

Nuggety Back Pocket
Out coached.

How many times has Naughton been out numbered? Lobb is too high, Darcy ineffective.

Mids completely outplayed. Any danger Bont or a leader can take it upon themselves to man Petracca?

Jones injury the cherry on top.
Both Lobb and Darcy have been ineffective. Gawn and Petracca have dominated.
Maclean should be playing instead of Hannan. Bruce and Keath ordinary in defence.
With May Viney and Fritsch missing this has been a poor effort

bulldogsthru&thru
tell me how we are outcoached

Allowing Gawn and Lever to out mark our forwards constantly. If players aren't following instructions (which is the usual excuse) then the coach is a crap communicator because it's been going on for years.

We aren't tagging Petracca.

The extra tall has been absolutely useless. Only Naughton is getting near it. Yet Gawn and Lever are marking it nearly uncontested.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2023, 09:49 PM
English stats look ok. But Gawn and Grundy to a lesser extent have had a lot more influence on the game.

Gawn has dropped a lot of easy marks.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 09:49 PM
Grundy has barely touched the ball and Gawn standing in the goal square and defenders can’t defend. Personally I think English has done well. Lobb is a problem

angelopetraglia
18-03-2023, 09:50 PM
Doc Pete Larkins.

Dogs hoping it’s a simple right AC joint sprain for Liam Jones - medical staff assessing pain management options currently

NoseBleed
18-03-2023, 09:51 PM
On top of all that is the shrill announcer yelling into the microphone.

jezuz

JanLorMill
18-03-2023, 09:52 PM
Bruce having a mare
I disagree. One of few standing up in the backline. He has made a couple of disposal errors but so has Macrae Daniel Richards and Dale.

merantau
18-03-2023, 09:52 PM
There is only one way to go from here.

GVGjr
18-03-2023, 09:53 PM
Maclean should be playing instead of Hannan. Bruce and Keath ordinary in defence.

My Melbourne mate was scared we would use Lobb behind the ball. Apparently Lobb played a good game against Melbourne last year in that sort of role for parts of the game.

DOG GOD
I’m not surprised at all by what I’ve seen or where the score sits at half time.

Grantysghost
https://i.postimg.cc/TPjSHpps/Screenshot-20230318-203901-2.png (https://postimages.org/)

G-Mo77
Just in case we forgot - they're missing Viney, Salem, May and Fritsch. This is not great viewing for us.

It's not over yet but yeah, this is disappointing that we're not taking advantage especially considering we're pretty much full strength. I just don't think we're good enough, I don't see much change in our style of play and it looks so similar to 2022. Round 1 and all but doesn't full me with promise.

1eyedog
18-03-2023, 09:54 PM

Bruce has been very good down back not sure what you're seeing other than an errant kick.

NoseBleed
18-03-2023, 09:55 PM
Jones a knock to the neck according to the club twitter. Toby to come on.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-03-2023, 09:56 PM
I don’t mind Toby coming in. We liked to top heavy

DOG GOD
18-03-2023, 09:57 PM
If this fwd line can’t take a mark, it’s not going to work..at all.

MrMahatma
18-03-2023, 09:59 PM
This feels over

JanLorMill
18-03-2023, 10:00 PM
Grundy has barely touched the ball and Gawn standing in the goal square and defenders can’t defend. Personally I think English has done well. Lobb is a problem
It’s a dual ruck combination. It’s Gawn/Grundy and together they changed the game, even if you add in Lobb and Darcy with English.

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 10:03 PM
Forward entries are just amazing. I'm glad we worked out those issues we had last season.

MrMahatma
18-03-2023, 10:03 PM
This is a self inflicted shit show

Mantis
18-03-2023, 10:04 PM
Out forward entries are just disgusting… never to our advantage or when we have space it doesn’t hit the mark.

MrMahatma
When do Lobb and Darcy come on?

Grantysghost
Forward entries are just amazing. I'm glad we worked out those issues we had last season.

They score goals from our f50 entries.

ledge
No one wants to run back and stay on their man .

macca
18-03-2023, 10:05 PM
We are still suffering from the same playbook , long bombs into the forward line.

Lobb has been really poor on the lead.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2023, 10:06 PM
Same story. Getting torched out the back on turnovers. How many goals for them with the same playbook? Soft high entry. Turnover. Bang. Bang. They are out.

Goal. Dees.

Grantysghost
We've got the Butcher and the Baker just need the candle stick maker and we are set.

Im flat it's all I've got.

macca
9 inside 50s to 3 in favour of the dogs, 6 mins into the 3rd quarter.

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 10:07 PM
They score goals from our f50 entries.

Sadly it is true.

GVGjr
18-03-2023, 10:11 PM
Naughty should do better. Bad miss.

GVGjr
18-03-2023, 10:14 PM
16 scoring shots each, the old story of a couple of straighter kicks and it would be close.

MrMahatma
18-03-2023, 10:15 PM
What was Gawn on about with Baker? Prob yelling “Casey” or something.

GVGjr
18-03-2023, 10:16 PM
Loving Treloar's efforts.

macca
set shots 3 goals 5 with 7mins 30 sec remaining in 3rd quarter

bornadog
How long is Petracca allowed to hold the ball. This is BS

angelopetraglia
How’s the bounce. Gee whiz. They get some east goals.

GVGjr
That one hurts in a big way.

MrMahatma
Centre clearances. I mean. FML

bulldogsthru&thru
Just totally dominated at centre bounces.

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 10:17 PM
How long is Petracca allowed to hold the ball. This is BS

That was fine. We should be more annoyed by them being consistently first to the ball.

Grantysghost
Petracca and Oliver are so hard to stop.

We don't have any one with that raw power they've got 2!

ledge
And bang they run straight through the middle for an easy goal .. someone just stick to Petracca it’s not rocket science !

Bumper Bulldogs
Pretty simple game plan from the Dees. Gawn hit it forward snd the kids can run onto it

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 10:18 PM
And bang they run straight through the middle for an easy goal .. someone just stick to Petracca it’s not rocket science !

He was literally being tackled he's just too strong! I get your point.