GWS Giants vs. Adelaide Crows Giants Stadium 1:10pm Fox Footy
Hawthorn vs. Essendon MCG 3:20pm Seven/Fox
St Kilda vs. Fremantle Marvel Stadium 4:40pm Fox Footy

Eastdog
14-03-2023, 11:54 AM
Bump

bornadog
14-03-2023, 12:09 PM
Four games in four days at the MCG and the turf has just been relaid after the Ed Sheeran concert. I hope it is ok for us to play on.

MrMahatma
14-03-2023, 12:29 PM
Four games in four days at the MCG and the turf has just been relaid after the Ed Sheeran concert. I hope it is ok for us to play on.

Seems touch and go. I know with the NRL they re-laid the Suncorp and it didn't look up to it in the first match. I don't follow the NRL media though so not sure if there was any commentary on it. They aren't changing directions as much as AFL though either... and Brisbane is prob more conducive to growing grass.

EasternWest
14-03-2023, 07:42 PM
Good man Easty, footy is back baby.

Dogs 24/7
14-03-2023, 08:23 PM
This has to be the hardest tipping round I can recall. So many games could go either way.

EasternWest
15-03-2023, 10:12 PM
Gillon McLachlan on the Front Bar and his rictus grin never touches his cold, dead eyes. Weird.

JanLorMill
16-03-2023, 07:26 PM
I'm predicting we win and 8 draws in the other games as I wish they could all lose. We go into round 2 half a game clear on top. Melbourne spoon.

jeemak
16-03-2023, 08:42 PM
Glad to have been reminded three times in the first minute of ABC's coverage that this is the traditional opening fixture and how much both teams deserve it.

If there's a bigger sycophant than Cameron Ling I've never observed them.

bornadog
16-03-2023, 08:43 PM
Glad to have been reminded three times in the first minute of ABC's coverage that this is the traditional opening fixture and how much both teams deserve it.

If there's a bigger sycophant than Cameron Ling I've never observed them.

How can it be traditional. Tradition made up by media

jeemak
16-03-2023, 09:01 PM
How can it be traditional. Tradition made up by media

It seems to have started in 2008. On the same day the tradition started Port played Geelong in SA.

Then it didn't happen in 2012, because Sydney teams played the Saturday before - nor did it happen in 2013 and 2014. It was super traditional in the years 2015 until 2022 as MELB vs. WB opened the season, and now we're back to the tradition that's happened 10 out of 15 years for 2023.......

I love the gaslighting!

Testekill
16-03-2023, 09:11 PM
Blues have been cleaner but I don't think they've been better.

angelopetraglia
16-03-2023, 09:23 PM
Very scrappy game

GVGjr
16-03-2023, 09:28 PM
Very scrappy game

Carlton's much vaunted forward line isn't living up to their scoring potential at the moment.
They're solid in the midfield though.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-03-2023, 09:38 PM
Richmond keep shooting themselves in the foot, but round 1 is often scrappy like this - especially the night fixtures.

Important first 10 minutes coming up. If Carlton kick a couple, they'll be hard to catch.

jeemak
16-03-2023, 10:05 PM
That was a shit effort from Young not to impact that Lynch facemark.

Testekill
16-03-2023, 10:40 PM
That was a shit effort from Young not to impact that Lynch facemark.

Yeah I don't get the angst over Young, when he's loose he looks great but he does the same stuff as he used to when he faces the slightest amount of pressure. Take out Weitering and he'd be all at sea, he's beaten Riewoldt tonight but Riewoldt looks slow and finished.

Testekill
16-03-2023, 10:54 PM
Both these teams are a bit poo.

Grantysghost
16-03-2023, 10:55 PM
58 each might be time for a rule change.

We want scoring!

Testekill
16-03-2023, 10:58 PM
https://youtu.be/WJtaCryzL20

Sedat
16-03-2023, 11:00 PM
I'm predicting we win and 8 draws in the other games as I wish they could all lose. We go into round 2 half a game clear on top. Melbourne spoon.
1 draw down, 7 to go

JanLorMill
16-03-2023, 11:01 PM
Here we go, only 7 draws and 1 win to go.

bornadog
16-03-2023, 11:03 PM
58 each might be time for a rule change.

We want scoring!

After more than 40 rule changes in the 2000s, AFL still have no idea that they are the ones that stuffed the game

Sedat
16-03-2023, 11:18 PM
Gee Nank was good. A ruckman getting his hands dirty and laying 11 tackles, on top of his grunt work at stoppages. Just works incredibly hard.

bornadog
16-03-2023, 11:21 PM
Great stat from Sirswampthing

CARL last 3 @AFL games

2022 R22 v MELB, had lead with under a minute to go
2022 R23 v COLL, had lead with under 2 minutes to go
2023 R01 v RICH, had lead with under a minute to go

jeemak
16-03-2023, 11:24 PM
The traditional opening draw of the season. Great stuff.

It was a slow/ dead track, difficult to get the ball flowing on, but overall that was a bit ordinary in my view. Yep, it was close but not sure I'm too enamoured with either side.

angelopetraglia
16-03-2023, 11:34 PM
Tigers +21 inside 50m entries but didn't look dangerous in their F50. Blues did not look like they have improved.

GVGjr
16-03-2023, 11:44 PM
Great stat from Sirswampthing

CARL last 3 @AFL games

2022 R22 v MELB, had lead with under a minute to go
2022 R23 v COLL, had lead with under 2 minutes to go
2023 R01 v RICH, had lead with under a minute to go

Very good stat.

jeemak
16-03-2023, 11:49 PM
The platitudes each coach is affording themselves and players is a bit surprising.

macca
16-03-2023, 11:56 PM
last 2 mins

@49 sec remainin : 3 blues defenders get outmarked by Lynch , long bomb into fwd line.

Young standing there wondering why he got pushed out. That kinda thing drives supporters nuts .

I am glad Carlton snatched this game from jaws of victory... again...

https://www.afl.com.au/video/883066/curnow-creating-havoc-with-two-in-little-time?videoId=883066&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1678960974001

Sedat
17-03-2023, 12:09 AM
The platitudes each coach is affording themselves and players is a bit surprising.
I kind of get it. Richmond played the game on their terms (except for being very inefficient insde F50) and their normally rubbish stoppage game stood up against one of the best stoppage teams in the comp - Taranto and Hopper already making a difference in an area of weakness.

Carlton would be happy to have defended their back 50 so strongly - as Voss said, they would have lost a similar game last year by 6 goals. They would be concerned to lose the I50 count by over 20 but their back 6 hung tough.

Testekill
17-03-2023, 12:11 AM
last 2 mins

@49 sec remainin : 3 blues defenders get outmarked by Lynch , long bomb into fwd line.

Young standing there wondering why he got pushed out. That kinda thing drives supporters nuts .

https://www.afl.com.au/video/883066/curnow-creating-havoc-with-two-in-little-time?videoId=883066&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1678960974001

Yeah, like I said before I don't get the angst over him. He plays loose as can be and then here he failed to put in any body contact or even contest the ball in a meaningful way.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-03-2023, 12:13 AM
The traditional opening draw of the season. Great stuff.

It was a slow/ dead track, difficult to get the ball flowing on, but overall that was a bit ordinary in my view. Yep, it was close but not sure I'm too enamoured with either side.

There is something about this opening match that just makes me feel bored of football already.

The whole tigers vs blues opening game is just typical weird and contrived AFEL stuff.

jeemak
17-03-2023, 01:08 AM
I kind of get it. Richmond played the game on their terms (except for being very inefficient insde F50) and their normally rubbish stoppage game stood up against one of the best stoppage teams in the comp - Taranto and Hopper already making a difference in an area of weakness.

Carlton would be happy to have defended their back 50 so strongly - as Voss said, they would have lost a similar game last year by 6 goals. They would be concerned to lose the I50 count by over 20 but their back 6 hung tough.

Perhaps it's too early in the season to show a great deal of concern and I get coaches want to keep things positive, though the inverse of what you've pointed out in each case is pretty damning.

Richmond had the game on their terms but couldn't capitalise due to ineffectiveness, while Carlton relied on Richmond's ineffectiveness to stay in the game. A bit of sober and honest introspection will do both teams a bit of good in the early part of the week.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2023, 08:26 AM
last 2 mins

Seriously. Lewis Young would not want to watch back that tape. He literally stepped out of the way. He pulled out of the contest. He didn't go the ball or even try and put some body on Lynch.

They signed him to three more years. Good luck.

The Underdog
17-03-2023, 09:09 AM
Seriously. Lewis Young would not want to watch back that tape. He literally stepped out of the way. He pulled out of the contest. He didn't go the ball or even try and put some body on Lynch.

They signed him to three more years. Good luck.

14 intercept possessions. Reckon they’re probably pretty happy to have him. He, Weitering and McGovern were all poor in that contest, but on balance he’s a solid addition for the Blues.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2023, 09:17 AM
14 intercept possessions. Reckon they’re probably pretty happy to have him. He, Weitering and McGovern were all poor in that contest, but on balance he’s a solid addition for the Blues.

Possibly. One view. But that final contest for me sums up why Bevo was hesitant to play him. Game is on the line and he pulls out of the contest.

azabob
17-03-2023, 09:32 AM
Gee Nank was good. A ruckman getting his hands dirty and laying 11 tackles, on top of his grunt work at stoppages. Just works incredibly hard.

100% this... Could you imagine Ben Hudson in our team for the last few years? Seriously.. how good would that be?

bornadog
17-03-2023, 09:42 AM
Possibly. One view. But that final contest for me sums up why Bevo was hesitant to play him. Game is on the line and he pulls out of the contest.

It was a weak effort. He should have crashed the pack and made sure Lynch was no where near the ball. This is something I am confident Jones would do.

jazzadogs
17-03-2023, 10:57 AM

This is where I land too.

That was a horrible contest, but he also won a lot of 1v1s and was a big reason for why Richmond's +21 inside 50s didn't lead to more goals.

The thinking of "yes he had a good game but he also made one mistake" is very Bevo black and white, and is the reason we have lost quality players in his tenure.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2023, 11:08 AM
This is where I land too.

That was a horrible contest, but he also won a lot of 1v1s and was a big reason for why Richmond's +21 inside 50s didn't lead to more goals.

The thinking of "yes he had a good game but he also made one mistake" is very Bevo black and white, and is the reason we have lost quality players in his tenure.

Yeah, not sure I subscribe to the 'he's no good because he's not with us' line.

He isn't a superstar, but there's a sense of irony that we were desperate to add a player with intercept ability (Jones) while Young was/is very clearly that. Clearly Jones is BETTER but it wasn't orchestrated by design.

Carlton are happy with Young, evident by a 3-year deal. From what I have seen, he's been good value and for much of last night. Considering none of our defenders could essentially halve a contest last year, I'm not sure we should be pointing fingers..

Happy Days
17-03-2023, 11:10 AM
Young was excellent last night and was a large part of why Carlton were able to hold firm against a significant possession deficit. Don’t really think this Cornes-style micro criticism is fair or honest.

But also at the same time WOW are Carlton getting a lot of praise for choking away another win in the last two minutes. That play with O’Brien down the wing (fumbling a bounce and missing the chance to get an easy hit up to McKay 10 seconds earlier) and Acres at half forward (dropping a chest mark) are plain as day examples of the moment being too big for their fringe players and also exactly the sort of thing that they were criticised for at the end of last season.

soupman
17-03-2023, 11:16 AM
But also at the same time WOW are Carlton getting a lot of praise for choking away another win in the last two minutes. That play with O’Brien down the wing (fumbling a bounce and missing the chance to get an easy hit up to McKay 10 seconds earlier) and Acres at half forward (dropping a chest mark) are plain as day examples of the moment being too big for their fringe players and also exactly the sort of thing that they were criticised for at the end of last season.

You're not wrong but the LOB one is an interesting one as he has faced a bit of criticism for it from the fan base as well, when even with his "stuff up" he still managed to hit McKay uncontested. I mean if LOB is gonna be criticised for the turf not bouncing the ball back to him properly but McKay isn't going to be criticised for slipping on the turf and dropping a mark that literally hits both his hands then thats not really fair. LOB has enough to dislike without being told off for stuff he did ok in.

Think Carltons last 3 games have all been losses despite leading inside the last 2 minutes in each one.

Mofra
17-03-2023, 11:19 AM
He played ok but when the game's on the line, do you trust him?
Gardner has less natural ability and I'd pay Gardner ahead of Young every time.

Good luck to Lewie, but he won't be playing on a completely cooked Riewoldt every week either

soupman
17-03-2023, 11:22 AM
The bits I saw he was pretty good, one contest aside.

He's undoubtably good enough to be an AFL key defender, and almost undoubtably never going to be an elite one, but I think we probably have to get off our high horse when we are fielding Josh Bruce in the same role.

Grantysghost
17-03-2023, 11:24 AM

Good luck to Lewie, but he won't be playing on a completely cooked Riewoldt every week either

Yeah let's face it, he really does suck and you guys should all stop practising revisionist history ;)

Also - I hope he does well just not against us !

Happy Days
17-03-2023, 11:26 AM
You're not wrong but the LOB one is an interesting one as he has faced a bit of criticism for it from the fan base as well, when even with his "stuff up" he still managed to hit McKay uncontested. I mean if LOB is gonna be criticised for the turd not bouncing the ball back to him properly but McKay isn't going to be criticised for slipping on the turf and dropping a mark that literally hits both his hands then thats not really fair. LOB has enough to dislike without being told off for stuff he did ok in.

Think Carltons last 3 games have all been losses despite leading inside the last 2 minutes in each one.

The ball bouncing was funny but live I thought he probably needed to look to get the ball in after bounce number two or so. It let Richmond work back with more numbers and clear the ball instead of getting it into McKay one out. Down the ground footage would be good to see.

GVGjr
17-03-2023, 11:32 AM
Yeah, not sure I subscribe to the 'he's no good because he's not with us' line.

He isn't a superstar, but there's a sense of irony that we were desperate to add a player with intercept ability (Jones) while Young was/is very clearly that. Clearly Jones is BETTER but it wasn't orchestrated by design.

Carlton are happy with Young, evident by a 3-year deal. From what I have seen, he's been good value and for much of last night. Considering none of our defenders could essentially halve a contest last year, I'm not sure we should be pointing fingers..

We haven't got a great history in developing talls in recent years with Naughton and English being the most notable exceptions.
As a result we've tended to trade/acquire for taller players like Trengove, Bruce, Keath, Gardner and now the pairing of Lobb and Jones and we also tried to luck out with Martin.
For whatever reason and despite an encouraging first year with us we just weren't set on Young as a defender and tried, without success, to turn him into a 2nd ruck and forward player.
He would be happy that Carlton have given him some chances to play in his more natural position and a show of faith by Carlton with an extended period deal.

The onus is now on us to develop Ugle-Hagan, Darcy and Busslinger into KPP and also with Croft if we can get him to the club.

Sedat
17-03-2023, 12:02 PM
You're not wrong but the LOB one is an interesting one as he has faced a bit of criticism for it from the fan base as well, when even with his "stuff up" he still managed to hit McKay uncontested. I mean if LOB is gonna be criticised for the turd not bouncing the ball back to him properly but McKay isn't going to be criticised for slipping on the turf and dropping a mark that literally hits both his hands then thats not really fair. LOB has enough to dislike without being told off for stuff he did ok in.

LOB is a role player with massive limitations who is on maybe 200-250k a season (possibly less). He no doubt erred initially in not delivering the ball quicker, but when he did he absolutely laced out McKay with a perfect kick. McKay is on probably 4 times the salary that LOB is on - in that same play he slipped over while on his own, and then flubbed the uncontested chest mark from a kick that couldn't have been directed at him any better. McKay is on the big bucks and is the money man, but the foot soldier on minimum wage gets almost all the criticism from fans and the AFEL media alike.

EasternWest
17-03-2023, 12:26 PM
but when he did he absolutely laced out McKay with a perfect kick.

Bears repeating. That kick was so good it was like Dan Marino got the laces out for it.

jeemak
17-03-2023, 02:25 PM

I wonder if we'll be as forgiving of our own when they make mistakes that lead directly to goals that cost tight games as we are with Young now he's left us......

Happy Days
17-03-2023, 02:28 PM
Carlton really just gonna pretend they won this one aren't they.

jeemak
17-03-2023, 02:32 PM
Carlton really just gonna pretend they won this one aren't they.

If it contributes to their gaslighting of fans as effectively as last year's first half of the year did then I'm all for it.

bornadog
17-03-2023, 02:52 PM
I only watched the first quarter and the last 10 minutes of the game, but I thought the skill level of some of the players was woeful.

Can AFL footballers handball at all and hit a target, instead of someone's feet?

EasternWest
17-03-2023, 02:58 PM
I wonder if we'll be as forgiving of our own when they make mistakes that lead directly to goals that cost tight games as we are with Young now he's left us......

I only watched the first quarter and the last 10 minutes of the game, but I thought the skill level of some of the players was woeful.

Can AFL footballers handball at all and hit a target, instead of someone's feet?

Posted without comment

azabob
17-03-2023, 04:04 PM

I'm sure Josh Bruce will be a test case tomorrow night.

jeemak
17-03-2023, 05:14 PM
I'm sure Josh Bruce will be a test case tomorrow night.

Ha, he probably will, but hopefully he actually contests rather than going out of his way not to like Young at crucial times.

Mofra
17-03-2023, 08:35 PM
LOB is a role player with massive limitations who is on maybe 200-250k a season (possibly less). He no doubt erred initially in not delivering the ball quicker, but when he did he absolutely laced out McKay with a perfect kick. McKay is on probably 4 times the salary that LOB is on - in that same play he slipped over while on his own, and then flubbed the uncontested chest mark from a kick that couldn't have been directed at him any better. McKay is on the big bucks and is the money man, but the foot soldier on minimum wage gets almost all the criticism from fans and the AFEL media alike.
A former pick 10 foot-soldier who was once seen as an integral part of their rebuild...

I'm not sure he runs forward with 4 bounces if he has his time again after Carlton put up that stupid power point sign from the bench a minute earlier.

Mofra
17-03-2023, 08:40 PM
I think there's a certain 'perception' element - did the player give their all?
Good luck to Lewie but I still am not convinced he's one of the 'competitive animals' that we seem to demand in the backline. Nothing against the bloke, it's just the jury is still out for mine.
He can certainly intercept but as a no 2 KPD (Weitering is brilliant)? Let's see. He's certainly been given time to develop which kids often do when they 'show signs'.

jeemak
17-03-2023, 09:08 PM
I think there's a certain 'perception' element - did the player give their all?
Good luck to Lewie but I still am not convinced he's one of the 'competitive animals' that we seem to demand in the backline. Nothing against the bloke, it's just the jury is still out for mine.
He can certainly intercept but as a no 2 KPD (Weitering is brilliant)? Let's see. He's certainly been given time to develop which kids often do when they 'show signs'.

It's interesting, because I asked my brother who's a Carlton supporter on the two critical Lynch marks and goals that followed Lewis not competing at any level when he clearly should have influenced the contest and he still saw his game as a positive on balance. He virtually shrugged off both instances.

Perhaps people are starting to focus on what players can do rather than what they can't, more so than they may have in the past.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2023, 09:09 PM
Have I ever told anyone how much I hate Geelong?

Because I do. A lot.

Testekill
17-03-2023, 09:35 PM
Just watch Geelong swoop in and recruit Doedee because he's a Lara boy.

jazzadogs
17-03-2023, 10:19 PM
Ollie Henry getting run down in the goalsquare was sweet after his big celebration. Requesting a trade after two years because he missed a few games was really poor, and I would be booing him just as ferociously as the Pies have been.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-03-2023, 10:20 PM
Realisticly FFC want Geelong to win every game against others, given they are likely to be top dog this season.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2023, 10:25 PM
Howes injury is sickening. Really nasty.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-03-2023, 10:27 PM
Horrible, horrible, horrible.
Unwatchable. Terrible that they kept the tape rolling. Ugly tv.

EasternWest
17-03-2023, 10:40 PM

Well I'm glad I'm not watching it. I love the way Howe plays.

GVGjr
17-03-2023, 10:43 PM
I'm at the game tonight, Isaac Smith has been sensational for the Cats and any questions I had on Nick Daicos have been answered.
Good contest.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-03-2023, 10:59 PM
I'm at the game tonight, Isaac Smith has been sensational for the Cats and any questions I had on Nick Daicos have been answered.
Good contest.

Seems Pies have responded to Howe's injury with spirit.
Has Hoskin Elliot taken his role?

macca
17-03-2023, 11:08 PM
Have I ever told anyone how much I hate Geelong?

Because I do. A lot.

Some of these frees for the cats was down right cheating in the 3rd quarter in the last 10 mins
Explains why I hate watching footy now

Happy Days
17-03-2023, 11:17 PM
These teams are so much better than those two teams last night.

hujsh
17-03-2023, 11:20 PM
I've only watched a little but does Ratugolea look good in defence or is it just my small sample size?

jeemak
17-03-2023, 11:30 PM

They didn't show it on 7HD.

jeemak
17-03-2023, 11:31 PM
Pies have so much run compared to the Cats, who aren't dominating the air in their back half and not generating any clear movement as a result.

macca
17-03-2023, 11:38 PM
I've only watched a little but does Ratugolea look good in defence or is it just my small sample size?

His been very good tongiht and taken some crucial marks , and his spoiling has been excellent
His been very switched on and accountable
A bit stiff with that trip , as has back and thigh was away from MacGinnis

To his credit they tried him back , as he could not make it in the ruck

macca
17-03-2023, 11:40 PM
Pies have so much run compared to the Cats, who aren't dominating the air in their back half and not generating any clear movement as a result.
22 points down in the third quarter
Incredible run and dare from the young pies . They took the game on and ran hard . Moore and Murphy running away from their opponents to provide support . Great leg speed and so many runners , great work rate

kicked 8 unanwaswered goals , no crap free kicks for geelong

Wiped that smirk off Ollie Henry face

Hope Howe can make a speedy recovery as his an exciting player to watch

Has Macrae installed some genuine empath for each other ? They are almost enjoyable to watch

josie
17-03-2023, 11:44 PM
Pies so good to watch, brave kicks with changing angles, running in waves, slick handballs, tough as nails, never say die. If we don’t win it this year would not mind them winning it. I particularly like how their tall backmen try and cover each other, Moore and his look alike. Missed most of Q1 and the Howe injury. Hope there’s plenty more high scoring, high skill games like that to come in the season.

hujsh
17-03-2023, 11:55 PM
His been very good tongiht and taken some crucial marks , and his spoiling has been excellent
His been very switched on and accountable
A bit stiff with that trip , as has back and thigh was away from MacGinnis

To his credit they tried him back , as he could not make it in the ruck

I was hoping we'd pick him up end of last year but maybe wasn't on the cards with Jones joining.

Hotdog60
18-03-2023, 08:30 AM
Pies so good to watch, brave kicks with changing angles, running in waves, slick handballs, tough as nails, never say die. If we don’t win it this year would not mind them winning it. I particularly like how their tall backmen try and cover each other, Moore and his look alike. Missed most of Q1 and the Howe injury. Hope there’s plenty more high scoring, high skill games like that to come in the season.

Ahh Josie let's not get carried away this is the wobbles you are talking about. :)
You need to watch the 2006 Elimination Final again to see how good it is to see the feral's squirm.
Now go wash your mouth out and lets not talk of this sort of nonsense again. :)

josie
18-03-2023, 08:59 AM
Ahh Josie let's not get carried away this is the wobbles you are talking about. :)
You need to watch the 2006 Elimination Final again to see how good it is to see the feral's squirm.
Now go wash your mouth out and lets not talk of this sort of nonsense again. :)

Ha ha - I was there. Monty BOG until he was KO’d. Pies fans stunned that we could turn out in equal if not superior numbers then stunned as we beat them. 50 hail Mary’s for me I know and I’m not a catholic. Father HD forgive me for I know not what I said.

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 09:02 AM
Ha ha - I was there. Monty BOG until he was KO’d. Pies fans stunned that we could turn out in equal if not superior numbers then stunned as we beat them. 50 hail Mary’s for me I know and I’m not a catholic. Father HD forgive me for I know not what I said.

I was there too - Monty was BOG after he was ko'ed.

Didn't he get knocked out at the opening bounce?

For what it's worth Josie unlike the current incarnation of Collingwood too.

GVGjr
18-03-2023, 09:47 AM
I was wrong to write off Collingwood this season. I still don't rate their list but their fight and spirit is amazing.

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 10:07 AM

He did by Holland. Never get back on now.

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 10:09 AM
https://twitter.com/JoshGarlepp/status/1636598918430748672?t=VVce1FIjxBtiThzJp7o0CA&s=19

josie
18-03-2023, 12:12 PM

You’re right. Amazing. I was in upper of ponsford stand with hot sun streaming right on us. I had a hat thank goodness. A few others were resorting to using newspaper to make one. Monty was taking speccies if I recall correctly. Perhaps the melee at the start switched us on.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 12:31 PM
https://twitter.com/JoshGarlepp/status/1636598918430748672?t=VVce1FIjxBtiThzJp7o0CA&s=19

That was funny - cheers

bornadog
18-03-2023, 12:32 PM

Looks like the surface is getting some stick.

Fingers crossed for tonight

Hotdog60
18-03-2023, 12:38 PM
I hope we don't come away with any major injuries Geelong copped ankles and knees last night.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 02:58 PM
Two men and a dog at Marvel. It is hard to support your team every week knowing that they will get done. I still go to all matches and those Rhode and Macartney years were awful. ( I can go back to Royce Hart era as well)

Testekill
18-03-2023, 03:15 PM
It looks like aggressively running and carrying might be the new tactic this season.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 03:21 PM
It looks like aggressively running and carrying might be the new tactic this season.

I think Collingwood do that so well

Testekill
18-03-2023, 03:26 PM
I think Collingwood do that so well

Yeah it makes things a hell of a lot more watchable. It might not come off every time but it'll be more exciting to say the least.

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 03:39 PM
I was wrong to write off Collingwood this season. I still don't rate their list but their fight and spirit is amazing.

Curious to hear where you think the holes are. I think they're reasonably solid across the board.

Stevo
18-03-2023, 03:54 PM
Norf doing well.

Mofra
18-03-2023, 04:06 PM
Norf doing well.
West Coast are a pitiful rabble.
Their rebuild has barely started when you consider some of the older players on their list. Expect them to throw the kitchen sink at every WA player on an AFL list

Testekill
18-03-2023, 04:14 PM
West Coast looked like they at least started hot. They just ran out of puff 20 minutes in which is almost sad. Sheezel is looking to be worth the hype though, just gotta give Norf time to stamp that promise out.

Testekill
18-03-2023, 04:15 PM
Curious to hear where you think the holes are. I think they're reasonably solid across the board.

Talls in their forward half is the big weakness to me, their small defenders also aren't amazing outside of Quaynor.

azabob
18-03-2023, 04:33 PM
How much of a bust has Tim Kelly been? The eagles gave up so much draft capital and salary cap. He looks disinterested.

The Doctor
18-03-2023, 04:39 PM
geez I'd be tempted to throw a 1st rounder at west coast for Liam Ryan

bornadog
18-03-2023, 04:42 PM
geez I'd be tempted to throw a 1st rounder at west coast for Liam Ryan

Has this year and next left on his contract

Testekill
18-03-2023, 04:42 PM
How much of a bust has Tim Kelly been? The eagles gave up so much draft capital and salary cap. He looks disinterested.

I think he'll go down as one of the worst high profile trades of all time. For what they paid for him he hasn't delivered enough and the Eagles only had one acceptable season in 2020.

whythelongface
18-03-2023, 05:43 PM
Anyone else hoping Port beat the Lions by 100+?

bornadog
18-03-2023, 05:43 PM
Anyone else hoping Port beat the Lions by 100+?

Haha - yes

Testekill
18-03-2023, 06:02 PM
Lions playing like millionaires out there, have drunk their own bathwater.

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 06:33 PM
Dunks is killing it. Could be the missing link for Brisbane.

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 06:52 PM
Lions playing like millionaires out there, have drunk their own bathwater.

I just turned it on, they're killing them now.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 07:28 PM
Port now turning it on

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Lions shat the bed. Midfield gone missing completely. Horne-Francis looks good.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 07:32 PM
Love to have Rioli in our team

1eyedog
18-03-2023, 07:32 PM
Dunks can't get near it.

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 07:33 PM
Wow. Where did all this come from.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 07:34 PM
Dunks can't get near it.

LIons midfield including Neal are getting done

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 07:35 PM
LIons midfield including Neal are getting done

Maybe they did too much running in training.

Testekill
18-03-2023, 07:36 PM
Wow. Where did all this come from.

Lions were honestly flattered by the Power inaccuracy.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 07:37 PM
haha :D:D

Looking at the game style, Lions are old fashioned and not up with the fast movement of the ball. They seem to go around in circles abit. Posession footy is difficult to play

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2023, 07:39 PM
Hopefully this is a sign that the crazy momentum swings we experienced last 2 seasons were Dunkleys fault :)

bornadog
18-03-2023, 07:41 PM
Hopefully this is a sign that the crazy momentum swings we experienced last 2 seasons were Dunkleys fault :)

Pretty sure they were :D

whythelongface
18-03-2023, 07:50 PM
Dunks can't get near it.

Over rated.

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Ashcroft doesn't look ready. Very small player, they've really hyped this kid up I'm not so sure. Clearly very talented.

Horne-Francis is a jet ! Perfect size.

G-Mo77
18-03-2023, 08:00 PM
My tipping going well. So far a big fat 0. I picked Melbourne so a good sign for us tonight.

GVGjr
18-03-2023, 08:04 PM
Ashcroft doesn't look ready. Very small player, they've really hyped this kid up I'm not so sure.

Horne-Francis is a jet ! Perfect size.

Kane Cornes will be squawking about JHF and Rozee on Monday.

jeemak
18-03-2023, 08:13 PM
Dunkley and Brissy having a shit time makes me smile.

Mofra
18-03-2023, 08:19 PM
Dunkley and Brissy having a shit time makes me smile.
The amount of off-season hype they received was never going to translate to the regular season.
Certainly won't write them off after one game. But that defence (and it's lack of KPD depth)...

EasternWest
18-03-2023, 08:19 PM

Ha ha that's gold, Jerry. Gold.

Testekill
18-03-2023, 08:23 PM
29 metres gained from 19 touches seems very crab like. Granted only three kicks but still, I'd be very frustrated if I chased an inside bull hard and that was his debut.

GVGjr
19-03-2023, 12:32 AM
Did I hear Franklin might be in strife?

bornadog
19-03-2023, 12:34 AM
Did I hear Franklin might be in strife?

Yes bump to head. The AFL is being sued for concussion and these dickheads like Franklin and Picket going for the head. Give them 4 weeks each and see if they do it again

bulldogsthru&thru
19-03-2023, 12:45 AM
Yes bump to head. The AFL is being sued for concussion and these dickheads like Franklin and Picket going for the head. Give them 4 weeks each and see if they do it again

But Pickett did nothing wrong. Smith got up and played the game out.

jeemak
19-03-2023, 12:52 AM
29 metres gained from 19 touches seems very crab like. Granted only three kicks but still, I'd be very frustrated if I chased an inside bull hard and that was his debut.

Yeah but you shouldn't look at his metres gained, his kicking ability or whatever, just his tackles. He tackled Brisbane to a fifty point loss today and that's a great way to start things.

jeemak
19-03-2023, 12:54 AM

Not sure if you're being a smartarse but in case you're not, uncontrolled impact is uncontrolled impact and it's intent that should be punished if the head is hit in any way.

josie
19-03-2023, 12:55 AM
Wow. I watched a bit of first half and thought port power were done & dusted. Bravo Port.

bulldogsthru&thru
19-03-2023, 12:56 AM
Not sure if you're being a smartarse but in case you're not, uncontrolled impact is uncontrolled impact and it's intent that should be punished if the head is hit in any way.

You must be drunk ;)

angelopetraglia
19-03-2023, 01:46 AM
Didn't see any of the game. Dunkley's game didn't look great on paper. 19 touches. Only three kicks. Ouch.

josie
19-03-2023, 01:49 AM

100% agree. If I’m a parent and I see that I’m thinking let’s play soccer instead. It’s a really low act.

Grantysghost
19-03-2023, 07:41 AM
Didn't see any of the game. Dunkley's game didn't look great on paper. 19 touches. Only three kicks. Ouch.

His first half was great.

bornadog
19-03-2023, 12:02 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FrgHr1VaIAAxn0A?format=jpg&name=medium

MrMahatma
19-03-2023, 01:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FrgHr1VaIAAxn0A?format=jpg&name=medium

Both those boys are getting a decent holiday. No way the AFL can not punish these actions big time given they’re going to probably use a legal defence that they’re “doing everything they can to protect players and sometimes you’re unlucky”. These were snipes and simply must get a month.

The Underdog
19-03-2023, 02:41 PM
Not that I rate GWS hugely, but the Crows are running all over them atm. Intercepting nearly everything and using the footy really well.
Himmelberg (GWS one) took a cracker of a grab. Shame nobody was there to see it.

bornadog
19-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Not that I rate GWS hugely, but the Crows are running all over them atm. Intercepting nearly everything and using the footy really well.
Himmelberg (GWS one) took a cracker of a grab. Shame nobody was there to see it.

So far my tips are up the creek, but I did pick Crows.

The Underdog
19-03-2023, 03:25 PM

Mine are a mess. Went GWS but not with any confidence.
GWS pulled back a bit there but Crows have been far better. Love Rachele in the midfield. Rankine’s been dangerous up forward. Really like their ball movement and play style.

G-Mo77
19-03-2023, 04:12 PM
A similar incident to what Picket did just happened in the GWS/Ade game.

The Underdog
19-03-2023, 04:17 PM
A similar incident to what Picket did just happened in the GWS/Ade game.

Didn’t quite launch himself up like Kossie Pickett did, but McAdam absolutely smashed the GWS player. Reminded me of Byron Pickett.
In fact both incidents did. Which isn’t good

The Underdog
19-03-2023, 04:20 PM
Giants came back hard to take the lead. Crows up by 5 points at 3/4 time. Pretty entertaining game. Tom Green having about a gazillion touches.

Grantysghost
19-03-2023, 04:45 PM

So they're further up the creek

The Underdog
19-03-2023, 04:47 PM
So they're further up the creek

Giants will be lucky to finish with 18 fit players in a heat wave. Players down with cramp everywhere. Crows still a huge chance

The Underdog
19-03-2023, 04:48 PM
Haynes just kicked a 50m set shot between cramping spells

GVGjr
19-03-2023, 05:48 PM
Just having some looks at the stats between Essendon and Hawthorn and only 9 Essendon players have laid a tackle by half time.
While they're leading on the scoreboard that isn't a great stat.

Happy Days
19-03-2023, 06:26 PM
Think it’s because they’ve had the ball the whole time G

mjp
19-03-2023, 06:36 PM

I'm with you...who the heck are they supposed to tackle??

GVGjr
19-03-2023, 06:38 PM

I'm not watching the game but at half time the scores were close and that stat stood out.

GVGjr
19-03-2023, 07:31 PM
My Saints mate is spitting chips with Cordy's effort today. Apparently Brennan Cox has had 19 marks so far and it isn't yet 3 quarter time.

chef
19-03-2023, 08:00 PM
Nice to see Zaino get a goal.

GVGjr
20-03-2023, 04:36 PM
My Boxed Chocolates and Boiled Lollies for the round are

Boxed Choco's
StKilda - The Saints knocked over a finals favorite in Freo and a Ross Lyon led team found a way to win a low scoring game. We can't take the Saints lightly next week and Ross has a convincing win loss ratio against us.
Collingwood - The Pies continually surprise me and they were brilliant against the premiers. I'm going to try my best not to write them off for the balance of the season.
GWS - Convincing win by the Giants and they'll be happy to get that one done.
Port Adelaide - If ever a club and coach needed to get off to a fast start in a season it's Port and Hinkley.

Boiled Humbugs
West Coast - Any thoughts that last season results was just an aberration were completely wiped after a loss to North who left out one of their best ever ruckman and then had his replacement get injured in the middle of the game.
Hawthorn - Inept performance against an arch enemy and it underlines that their rebuild will take some time.