West Coast Eagles vs. Melbourne Optus Stadium 5:20pm Fox Footy

Monday, Apr 10
Geelong Cats vs. Hawthorn MCG 3:20pm Seven/Fox

Eastdog
03-04-2023, 05:00 PM
Bump

Bulldog Joe
03-04-2023, 05:57 PM
Collingwood might struggle for a ruckman. McStay might need to match Oscar.

Surely Geelong get a win this week.

macca
06-04-2023, 09:33 PM
Lions have kicked 4 in a row take a 10 point lead, 7.3 45 , running all over the pies at the moment 2nd quarter 10 mins to go.

They are winning the contested ball and shutdown the pies run.

jeemak
06-04-2023, 10:02 PM
It's amazing what happens when a group of players buy into a plan and execute it.

Lions are refusing to get sucked into the contest and aren't leaving Pies players out by themselves. When we're getting burned it's one of the first things I see - bees to the honey pot.

Numbers to the contest is great, but if you have too many you're going to get burned.

westdog54
06-04-2023, 10:05 PM
Can you imagine how insufferable Saints supporters will be if they're the only team left will a perfect record by the end of the round?

Unless the Lions drop their bundle badly this quarter it's a near certainty, as I can't see the Suns laying a glove on the Saints at Marvel.

jeemak
06-04-2023, 10:09 PM
Can you imagine how insufferable Saints supporters will be if they're the only team left will a perfect record by the end of the round?

Unless the Lions drop their bundle badly this quarter it's a near certainty, as I can't see the Suns laying a glove on the Saints at Marvel.

I actually see it as a danger game for the Saints. They're flying, but GCS just beat the Cats relatively well and kept them ineffectual going forward which could easily happen to the Saints.

There's hope it won't happen!

angelopetraglia
06-04-2023, 10:14 PM
Dogs performance underrated last week? Lions destroying the flag favourite Pies.

westdog54
06-04-2023, 10:15 PM
I actually see it as a danger game for the Saints. They're flying, but GCS just beat the Cats relatively well and kept them ineffectual going forward which could easily happen to the Saints.

Last year I might have agreed with you but Ross has got them a little but more focused on this year's admittedly small sample size.

The Underdog
06-04-2023, 10:29 PM
Dogs performance underrated last week? Lions destroying the flag favourite Pies.

Brisbane Lions, unstoppable. Non-Brisbane Lions, not so much.

angelopetraglia
06-04-2023, 10:53 PM
Brisbane Lions, unstoppable. Non-Brisbane Lions, not so much.

Valid point.

jeemak
06-04-2023, 10:53 PM
Last year I might have agreed with you but Ross has got them a little but more focused on this year's admittedly small sample size.

They're insanely fit and committed to the cause. Just wondering how much against a decent challenge they'll hold up. You could be right.

jeemak
06-04-2023, 10:54 PM
You just can't let Cameron get goal side of you. No matter how silly you feel about where he might go other than goal and being caught out, you can't give him a line to the goals.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-04-2023, 10:58 PM
You just can't let Cameron get goal side of you. No matter how silly you feel about where he might go other than goal and being caught out, you can't give him a line to the goals.

Like Eddie Betts first final '15.
With help from inside our camp.
I believed we could beat anyone in those finals.

angelopetraglia
06-04-2023, 11:18 PM

100%. Also highlights how good Doc was to curtail him in the late stages of that famous Semi win.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-04-2023, 11:21 PM
Pies had 28 shots to Lions 26 but beaten by 33 pts.

whythelongface
06-04-2023, 11:25 PM
Pies had 28 shots to Lions 26 but beaten by 33 pts.

Lions lucky that the Pies missed some easy shots. Lions looked ok in patches. Still not convinced that they are that good a team. only seem to fire at home. I do rate Cam Rayner - pity he is contracted to 2025.

jeemak
06-04-2023, 11:29 PM
You just have to take the steam out of Collingwood's run and gun style for as long as you can in each quarter. Don't crowd the contest, don't let them run forward without pressure and be mindful of who's being assertive when the ball is in dispute.

Literally everything I worry about in terms of how we play is what you need to be mindful of to beat them.

Happy Days
06-04-2023, 11:54 PM
You just have to take the steam out of Collingwood's run and gun style for as long as you can in each quarter. Don't crowd the contest, don't let them run forward without pressure and be mindful of who's being assertive when the ball is in dispute.

Literally everything I worry about in terms of how we play is what you need to be mindful of to beat them.

The second quarter in particular was the blueprint. They just denied them the ball at all costs and starved their game of any oxygen. I think we’re capable of replicating that.

bornadog
07-04-2023, 12:22 AM
McInerny 43 Hitouts and 13 to Advantage - Not good

jeemak
07-04-2023, 01:33 AM
McInerny 43 Hitouts and 13 to Advantage - Not good

How many times did he throw the ball in the air and then hit it with his other hand to clear the contest without getting pinged this week?

GVGjr
07-04-2023, 09:08 AM
While I quite like how Collingwood have been playing I'm glad we have seen them lose that game.
The lack of a genuine ruck man hurt them last night and the irony is that they're paying a significant chunk of Grundy's contract and are suggesting to the AFL that there not only needs to be a mid season draft but a mid season trade period as this would help them address their lack of ruck options.

azabob
07-04-2023, 09:40 AM

Suns should?ve beaten Essendon at Marvel a couple of weeks prior.

DOG GOD
07-04-2023, 11:42 AM
Bris have won like 40/45 games at the Gabba in recent years. Totally different team up there.

jeemak
07-04-2023, 05:52 PM
We're never getting Good Friday back.

The hype around the "full" ground and how amazing it is has basically put a nail in the coffin. If it's a close game then that'll make it even harder.

D Mitchell
07-04-2023, 05:59 PM
Good Friday's the first day of the Easter break, everyone goes away. Ridiculous idea that it could be an ersatz Anzac Day. No loss.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-04-2023, 06:17 PM

The hype around the "full" ground and how amazing it is has basically put a nail in the coffin. If it's a close game then that'll make it even harder.

Came to post the same thing

They have only mentioned it about 38 times.

angelopetraglia
07-04-2023, 07:22 PM

We had 47K first game. Crowds don’t matter.

angelopetraglia
07-04-2023, 07:23 PM
#FreeKickCarlton

1eyedog
07-04-2023, 07:24 PM

Oh yeah we cooked now.

Best thing in their favour is it is a contest. Bad timing for us that Norf are no longer completely shit.

bornadog
07-04-2023, 07:35 PM
#FreeKickCarlton

Around the neck and no free to North

jeemak
07-04-2023, 07:41 PM
Around the neck and no free to North

Blame that on the AFL for taking the onus of a fair tackle away from the tackler. Morons.

bornadog
07-04-2023, 07:45 PM
Blame that on the AFL for taking the onus of a fair tackle away from the tackler. Morons.

Umpires explanation was you lifted your arm - total bullshit

Grantysghost
07-04-2023, 07:54 PM
Good Friday's the first day of the Easter break, everyone goes away. Ridiculous idea that it could be an ersatz Anzac Day. No loss.

I'm come around to this view. However we do need a blockbuster.
Thing is they need to be at the G too.

jeemak
07-04-2023, 07:55 PM
Umpires explanation was you lifted your arm - total bullshit

I saw that, he lied straight to his face and should be suspended.

GVGjr
07-04-2023, 08:12 PM

Well it's being reported that vastly less have chosen to go away this year due to cost of living challenges plus the bad weather outlook.

Happy Days
08-04-2023, 12:38 AM
Good Friday is a fake blockbuster and the moment has long past on swaying people from a prime time slot anyway. Our blockbuster is being good in perpetuity.

jeemak
08-04-2023, 01:06 AM
Good Friday is a fake blockbuster and the moment has long past on swaying people from a prime time slot anyway. Our blockbuster is being good in perpetuity.

I'm more concerned about keeping up the performances that ensure we get as many Thursday, Friday and Saturday night games on FTA as we can.

D Mitchell
08-04-2023, 10:54 AM
I'm come around to this view. However we do need a blockbuster.
Thing is they need to be at the G too.
Agree on the desirability of Blockbuster. The essential quality of a blockbuster is attendance of neutrals. Good Friday v North hasn’t cut it and won’t. Pure speculation but the ‘theatregoer’ demography is the same as the going-away-at-Easter demography.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2023, 05:04 PM
Even though I think Adelaide are a good, young, upcoming side, from what I've seen this year Freo are really, really ordinary. Pressure may soon come on the coach.

The decision to go after Jackson so hard is still an odd one to me. He's good, but what is he? Take away that GF performance and the rest is flashes. He's young and will improve, and I get it's a futures market, but he isn't a match winner and I don't think he ever will be.

GVGjr
08-04-2023, 05:08 PM
Even though I think Adelaide are a good, young, upcoming side, from what I've seen this year Freo are really, really ordinary. Pressure may soon come on the coach.

The decision to go after Jackson so hard is still an odd one to me. He's good, but what is he? Take away that GF performance and the rest is flashes. He's young and will improve, and I get it's a futures market, but he isn't a match winner and I don't think he ever will be.

I think they miss an inform Lobb as well. Interesting that it's being reported they're tagging Laird even though they're 5 goals down.

whythelongface
08-04-2023, 05:25 PM

Considering their draw they have been underwhelming to say the least- losses to Saints, North and Adelaide would be extremely disappointing. Pressure will be on Longmuir.

The Underdog
08-04-2023, 08:59 PM
Paddy McCartin off with concussion. Not good.

Dry Rot
08-04-2023, 08:59 PM
What happened to McCartin?

westdog54
08-04-2023, 10:20 PM
What happened to McCartin?

A very innocuous head knock into the ground that left him far more dazed than it ought to have.

I felt a little sick in my stomach when I found out he was going to football again. The guy should simply not be anywhere near a football field.

Grantysghost
08-04-2023, 10:39 PM
A very innocuous head knock into the ground that left him far more dazed than it ought to have.

I felt a little sick in my stomach when I found out he was going to football again. The guy should simply not be anywhere near a football field.

It was something you see quite often. I agree, if thats how easily he is concussed he's in the wrong job.

Dry Rot
08-04-2023, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the responses

Agreed, looked utterly innocuous which is why I asked.

What happened to his brother?

angelopetraglia
08-04-2023, 11:15 PM
Swans v Port game. What a finish. Toe to toe. Unbelievable win by Port.

jeemak
08-04-2023, 11:19 PM
Oh I love what just happened to the Swans. Even Mills on the goal line celebrated the win instead of doing what he could to stop Alir from touching it on the goal line.

Bloods culture. Go Bloods!!!!

angelopetraglia
08-04-2023, 11:27 PM
Oh I love what just happened to the Swans. Even Mills on the goal line celebrated the win instead of doing what he could to stop Alir from touching it on the goal line.

Incredible scenes, but how poor was the camera work and footage from channel seven. Horrendous.

westdog54
08-04-2023, 11:37 PM

Brady Rawlings and Boomer Harvey just lost their mantle for the best/worst 'Celebrated too early' moment on football history. Between Florent celebrating when it was nowhere near the goal line and Mills abandoning the goalsquare about a minute too early, it was about as horrendous as I've seen with the game on the line.

angelopetraglia
08-04-2023, 11:39 PM
Just watched another replay. Mills misjudgement of the ball is incredible. Crazy stuff.

angelopetraglia
08-04-2023, 11:43 PM
Mills. WTF.

https://twitter.com/7afl/status/1644681888613769218?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

jeemak
08-04-2023, 11:50 PM
It was a bit awkward when they had to dial back their orgy. I've had to dial back an orgy or two, there's really nowhere to hide when it happens.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2023, 11:56 PM
Didn't see the game, just those final snippets... Weird ending.

Port are basically the SA version of us.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the responses

Agreed, looked utterly innocuous which is why I asked.

What happened to his brother?

Pure accident - heads clashing

azabob
09-04-2023, 02:50 PM

Problem was Mills was watching the shitty channel 7 camera angle and not the ball.

Seriously how do channel 7 stuff up the footage again after the buddy debacle last year?

macca
09-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Just watched another replay. Mills misjudgement of the ball is incredible. Crazy stuff.

Another one for the comedy real :

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1644638949204279301?s=20

Sedat
10-04-2023, 09:46 AM
Incredible scenes, but how poor was the camera work and footage from channel seven. Horrendous.
The new ad campaign for Ch 7 in 2023:
"Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed"

Happy Days
10-04-2023, 12:53 PM
Yeah they have got to do something about the camera placement for shots at goal to that end. Buddy’s 1000th goal got ruined by someone standing in front of the camera as well on pretty much the same angle.

whythelongface
10-04-2023, 04:52 PM
Good 1st qtr between the Hawks and Geelong. Hawks off to a quick start but missed a couple of easy shots. Geelong not playing well but managed a few late goals to be within a point. Typical Geelong.

The Hawks are playing an exciting brand of footy

DOG GOD
10-04-2023, 04:55 PM
Hawks really need to take all their opportunities. That Brockman miss was shocking.

GVGjr
10-04-2023, 05:05 PM
Hawks really need to take all their opportunities. That Brockman miss was shocking.

Good to see Fergus get his 2nd goal. I'm torn on this one as I don't really want either team to win.

bornadog
10-04-2023, 05:08 PM
Good to see Fergus get his 2nd goal. I'm torn on this one as I don't really want either team to win.

I prefer Geelong stay winless

angelopetraglia
10-04-2023, 05:09 PM
Jeremy Cameron is the best player in the competition at the moment. Coming from someone who really doesn’t like the person. But gee whiz. He can play.

GVGjr
10-04-2023, 05:16 PM

Sounds good but I don't like the idea that anyone thinks the Hawks are relevant. :)

DOG GOD
10-04-2023, 05:26 PM
Especially under dangerfields captaincy

BornInDroopSt'54
10-04-2023, 05:26 PM
I did not pick it but Geelong are having a worse premiership hangover than we did.
I thought they'd again be the benchmark but the comp has gone past them.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-04-2023, 06:15 PM
I did not pick it but Geelong are having a worse premiership hangover than we did.
I thought they'd again be the benchmark but the comp has gone past them.

I prompted the dragon awake, Hawks helped.

The Underdog
10-04-2023, 06:20 PM
10.1 to 0.0 quarter. Hawks have set a bar I’m not sure the Dogs can reach as far as unimpeded scoring (this year at least)

jeemak
10-04-2023, 06:47 PM
Sounds good but I don't like the idea that anyone thinks the Hawks are relevant. :)

Same, I don't like Geelong but I'm enjoying Hawthorn being putrid and hope they remain that way for as long as possible. They're a disgusting club followed by the worst mix of cashed up bogans and elitist snobs.

jeemak
10-04-2023, 07:36 PM
Surely Cameron is out for life after that celebration induced umpire collision!

angelopetraglia
10-04-2023, 07:58 PM
Surely Cameron is out for life after that celebration induced umpire collision!

If his name was Todd Curley he would get sixteen weeks!

BornInDroopSt'54
11-04-2023, 01:25 PM
If his name was Todd Curley he would get sixteen weeks!

Unforgivable decision.
Todd was going great guns until this and never recaptured it.
I also can't forgive Jeremy Camerons breaking JJ's collarbone when he had his body over the ball; assault.
Toby Greene's boot in Dalhaus' face and fingers in Bont's face.
I am glad I was able to tell Paul Dear that I thought he deliberately kicked Foster although he denied it unconvincingly.