25-12-2022, 10:08 PM
Round 5 (Gather Round)

Thursday, Apr 13
Adelaide Crows vs. Carlton Adelaide Oval 7:40pm Seven/Fox

Friday, Apr 14
Fremantle vs. Gold Coast Suns Norwood Oval 5:10pm Fox Footy
Richmond vs. Sydney Swans Adelaide Oval 8:10pm Seven/Fox

Saturday, Apr 15
Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne Summit Sports and Recreation Park 1:10pm Fox Footy
Essendon vs. Melbourne Adelaide Oval 4:10pm Fox Footy
Port Adelaide vs. Western Bulldogs Adelaide Oval 7:50pm Seven/Fox

Sunday, Apr 16
Geelong Cats vs. West Coast Eagles Adelaide Oval 1:10pm Fox Footy
GWS Giants vs. Hawthorn Norwood Oval 3:20pm Seven/Fox
Collingwood vs. St Kilda Adelaide Oval 4:50pm Fox Footy

Eastdog
11-04-2023, 12:13 AM
Bump

angelopetraglia
11-04-2023, 09:30 AM
Some tasty matches for the gather round.

jeemak
13-04-2023, 09:00 PM
The team I'm led to believe is the best in the universe according to media sycophants is having its arse handed to it in Adelaide. Surprising given their amazing form against Richmond, GWS, Norf and an asleep Geelong.

bornadog
13-04-2023, 09:04 PM
What a start by Adelaide

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2023, 10:16 PM
Been saying it for a bit but I rate Adelaide.

bornadog
13-04-2023, 10:37 PM
Been saying it for a bit but I rate Adelaide.

Listening to a few scribes on radio, Adelaide have a lot of first rounders that are now coming together. They are being likended to how Richmond built up.

macca
13-04-2023, 10:44 PM
Is Carlton falling apart after round 5 ? Its taken them this long ??

bornadog
13-04-2023, 10:53 PM
Is Carlton falling apart after round 5 ? Its taken them this long ??
I don't know why I picked them. They struggled to knock off North.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-04-2023, 11:15 PM
The Adelaide footy round begins with the better result.
Hoping Dogs can ruin Port's party and string a few wins together.

GVGjr
13-04-2023, 11:34 PM
That was a very impressive performance, Dawson has taken his game to another level and the big forwards in Walker and Fogarty were productive.

macca
13-04-2023, 11:37 PM
That was a very impressive performance, Dawson has taken his game to another level and the big forwards in Walker and Fogarty were productive.

Adelaide looked very quick, agile and very skillful by foot. They are playing with a lot of confidence. Fogarty kicked 5, could be his break out game.

Geez Tex Walker took some ripper marks in the 3rd quarter. His going to get batter as he no longer number 1. Just need Thilrthorpe to get his confidence and timing, and they will be pretty scary team.

GVGjr
13-04-2023, 11:43 PM
Adelaide looked very quick, agile and very skillful by foot. They are playing with a lot of confidence. Fogarty kicked 5, could be his break out game.

Geez Tex Walker took some ripper marks in the 3rd quarter. His going to get batter as he no longer number 1. Just need Thilrthorpe to get his confidence and timing, and they will be pretty scary team.

I have to acknowledge how they've set this team up and the likes of Keays and Rachele are effective forwards who both can push into the midfield with their skills but essentially make an impact forward. A lot of their players have some depth in their kicking.
Their back line is very workman like but they're more than solid everywhere else.

bornadog
13-04-2023, 11:47 PM
Stop Cripps stop Carlton. (19 disposals)

bulldogsthru&thru
14-04-2023, 12:21 AM
Adelaide are hitting the most exciting period of a rebuild. That moment where the young draftees start hitting their straps.

I remember in 2015 for us as well as back in 2005 or 06?? when we rolled the three-peat lions at the Dome in a classic.

There are still no expectations but unlimited hope.

The Doctor
14-04-2023, 05:24 AM
Adelaide have the best forward line in the competition. So many options and such variety.

Testekill
14-04-2023, 08:25 AM
So another game where Lewis Young doesn't get to play loose and fundamentally without an opponent and he gets beaten pretty badly.

He wouldn't be the answer to our defensive woes as he can't defend against an opponent.

The Underdog
14-04-2023, 09:17 AM
Is it possible that I like an Adelaide Crows team? (Tex aside of course)
Like the way they play, love Rachele, admire what Keays has done. Yikes.

mjp
14-04-2023, 09:25 AM
Adelaide have the best forward line in the competition. So many options and such variety.

I think they have a nice developing forward line Doc but you might have gone a touch overboard with the 'best in the competition' stuff. It's Round 5.

What I DO like - and this is similar to the WCE team that won the flag in 2018 and even Melbourne in 2021 - they play FORWARDS in the forward line. WCE had Ryan, Rioli, Cripps, Darling, Kennedy and some other bloke i can't remember rn...each of them could kick 3 goals in a q and were always a threat. Rankine and Rachele really add an edge to the Crows...

jeemak
14-04-2023, 10:01 AM
Has there ever been a more pure forward than Mark LeCras?

I enjoyed watching Adelaide as well. I don't hate them as much as I used to.

Carlton have been well over-hyped this year given who they've played. There wa an article in The Age yesterday - that I chose not to read - that compared them to their 1995 team. It's round five for goodness sake and their 1995 team had come off a grand final and two finals the two years prior. The media seems so desperate for them to succeed.

Happy Days
14-04-2023, 10:05 AM
So another game where Lewis Young doesn't get to play loose and fundamentally without an opponent and he gets beaten pretty badly.

He wouldn't be the answer to our defensive woes as he can't defend against an opponent.

Lewis Young has a good looking game and has clearly improved with the opportunity, but you’re completely right in saying that he’s still playing far too loose and is probably miscast in being made to be responsible for dangerous tweeners like Fogarty and Cameron.

I think he’s best suited to a Lever/McGovern role but Carlton are probably one KPD short to let it happen.

Bulldog4life
14-04-2023, 01:09 PM
I have to acknowledge how they've set this team up and the likes of Keays and Rachele are effective forwards who both can push into the midfield with their skills but essentially make an impact forward. A lot of their players have some depth in their kicking.
Their back line is very workman like but they're more than solid everywhere else.

Played as a defensive forward on Saad.

mjp
14-04-2023, 02:25 PM
Played as a defensive forward on Saad.

Which someone should do every week.

We should start a 'these blokes MUST BE TAGGED' thread.

Nick Daicos
Adam Saad
Jake Lever (Elbow in back)
Tom Stewart (Elbow in back)
Daniel Rich

Who else ya got?

Happy Days
14-04-2023, 02:34 PM
Can you tag Nick Daicos? From what I’ve seen Daicos can play anywhere, and when teams have tried McRae is willing to move him to wherever the tagger is least comfortable.

The Underdog
14-04-2023, 05:21 PM
Has there been a worse case of fixturing than Fremantle fixtured at 3:10 on a Friday afternoon Perth time? Am I missing something? Is it a public holiday in WA?

Happy Days
14-04-2023, 05:28 PM
Has there been a worse case of fixturing than Fremantle fixtured at 3:10 on a Friday afternoon Perth time? Am I missing something? Is it a public holiday in WA?

What about a team being forced to play an extra interstate away game while everyone else plays at neutral grounds, then getting a 6 day break to go even further interstate?

Because hypothetically that fixture would be worse.

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 05:39 PM
What about a team being forced to play an extra interstate away game while everyone else plays at neutral grounds, then getting a 6 day break to go even further interstate?

Well at least we know our record at that ground.

Everyone else is giving up any home ground advantage.

Seriously Freo v Gold Coast?

Ive got no idea who to tip.

The Underdog
14-04-2023, 05:45 PM

At least people will see those games and know they’ve existed.

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 06:12 PM
Why are Freo wearing Carlton's jumper?

Mofra
14-04-2023, 06:47 PM

Nick Daicos
Adam Saad
Daniel Rich

Who else ya got?
Based on a couple of weeks ago, Harris Andrews
Jordan Dawson

Dry Rot
14-04-2023, 07:02 PM
They set up well and get good delivery.

Our coach and team should watch their games. Might learn something useful.

1eyedog
14-04-2023, 07:43 PM
This lighting is really not AFL standard

G-Mo77
14-04-2023, 08:06 PM
Gotta say, I love Freos new kit. Looks great!

jeemak
14-04-2023, 08:27 PM
Gotta say, I love Freos new kit. Looks great!

Although alarming for Darcy that it doesn't hide how much pud he's carrying irrespective of it being a dark strip!

jeemak
14-04-2023, 08:28 PM
Can we start a campaign to inundate Caddle Crash Repairs on Monday with general enquiries due to their TV exposure?

Dry Rot
14-04-2023, 08:59 PM
No Rampe, no Swans?

Looking forward to seeing Gould debut.

GVGjr
14-04-2023, 09:30 PM
No Rampe, no Swans?

Looking forward to seeing Gould debut.

Well their start doesn't support that view. Early days though

jazzadogs
14-04-2023, 09:45 PM

Nick Daicos
Adam Saad
Daniel Rich

Who else ya got?

Bailey Dale or Libba would be the options for the Dogs imo

The Bulldogs Bite
14-04-2023, 10:32 PM
How bad are the Suns?

They'll escape major criticism because nobody cares, but they're a waste of time.

GVGjr
14-04-2023, 11:17 PM
Great contest between the Swans and Tigers. Really enjoying it.

jeemak
15-04-2023, 12:21 AM
It's OK to say - which I often do - that having a player like Papley would be awesome but you need to play a way to maximise his opportunities to cause havoc and the Swans do that really well.

Dry Rot
15-04-2023, 12:39 AM
Great contest between the Swans and Tigers. Really enjoying it.

Same here. Very entertaining.

We they are on, the Tigers are amazing. But they just can't sustain it.

Dry Rot
15-04-2023, 12:41 AM
How bad are the injuries for both these sides?

And my man Warner was terrific.

mjp
15-04-2023, 08:34 AM

It?s been a big talking point over here. Clearly the Freo fans are annoyed and rightly so...

FWIW it?s why the whole ?Friday night footy needs to start earlier? debate is so hard to cop for those of us on the west coast.

GVGjr
15-04-2023, 09:55 AM
It?s been a big talking point over here. Clearly the Freo fans are annoyed and rightly so...

FWIW it?s why the whole ?Friday night footy needs to start earlier? debate is so hard to cop for those of us on the west coast.

It was an awful draw for WA viewers and it might have made more sense to have been played on Saturday.

soupman
15-04-2023, 10:43 AM

It's an absolute joke.

Don't rate it as a timeslot, but I understand their want for nearly every game to be standalone (although last week they scheduled two Saturday night games at the exact time despite having other options).

But once they settled on that Friday time why would they pick one of the only two teams that were in a timezone that made it incompatible with everyday life? Baffling.

The Doctor
15-04-2023, 11:36 AM
I think they have a nice developing forward line Doc but you might have gone a touch overboard with the 'best in the competition' stuff. It's Round 5.

What I DO like - and this is similar to the WCE team that won the flag in 2018 and even Melbourne in 2021 - they play FORWARDS in the forward line. WCE had Ryan, Rioli, Cripps, Darling, Kennedy and some other bloke i can't remember rn...each of them could kick 3 goals in a q and were always a threat. Rankine and Rachele really add an edge to the Crows...

Yes it's debatable of course. However I don't mind sticking my neck out on this one for much the same reason you have pointed out, 'they play forwards in the forward line' and they are dynamic. I get it's only round 5 but the key players in their forward line have been around long enough now to give us a decent sample size of their ability. They have been steadily building up and then acquiring Rankine was a brilliant get. The Crows have 4 players in the top 12 of the goal kicking leaderboard at the moment. This, despite only having a 3-2 win/loss ratio. I would further argue that Rankine, Fog & Rachele would walk into most teams, including ours.

If their midfield and backline hold up they could be very scary. I also tipped the Crows in our season prediction thread to make the finals.

macca
15-04-2023, 11:59 AM
Same here. Very entertaining.

When they were on, the Tigers are amazing. But they just can't sustain it.

I was hoping the tigers could steal this one, but that Balta handpass that Heeny intercepted was amazing . Just smashed their moment
And the Ryan dropped mark took the game away from them .

Where the hell did they find Papaley ? His a guy will punish you if he gets half a step ahead . He caused havoc in the midfield when he had the ball. Fwd pinching hitting in the mid is so valuable
Hardwick is doing the right thing by playing the kids . The late blowout shows their not physically up to the 4 quarters yet , but will get there.

sydney have so many good young players in the midfield .

jeemak
15-04-2023, 01:02 PM
It's an absolute joke.

Don't rate it as a timeslot, but I understand their want for nearly every game to be standalone (although last week they scheduled two Saturday night games at the exact time despite having other options).

But once they settled on that Friday time why would they pick one of the only two teams that were in a timezone that made it incompatible with everyday life? Baffling.

Because they're a bunch of no talent dipshits.

Sedat
15-04-2023, 01:04 PM
Taranto and Hopper on 7 year deals might haunt Hardwick and Richmond. Their addition to the team has changed the entire way Richmond play, and it is a net negative so far. Both players are doing pretty much what they did at GWS but it is detracting from Richmond's previous strengths. They are poor users by hand and foot and as a result the Tigers are getting picked off on the turnover.

Bulldog4life
15-04-2023, 01:18 PM
Taranto and Hopper on 7 year deals might haunt Hardwick and Richmond. Their addition to the team has changed the entire way Richmond play, and it is a net negative so far. Both players are doing pretty much what they did at GWS but it is detracting from Richmond's previous strengths. They are poor users by hand and foot and as a result the Tigers are getting picked off on the turnover.

Not withstanding all the draft picks they paid to get them. 12 & 19 last draft. Richmond's 1st pick this year plus 31 this year.

jeemak
15-04-2023, 02:09 PM
Not withstanding all the draft picks they paid to get them. 12 & 19 last draft. Richmond's 1st pick this year plus 31 this year.

This year's first pick is looking pretty juicy as well.

Richmond's been an amazing story in recent times but a lot of hubris as imbedded itself in the attitude of the players and the coach particularly. I'm enjoying it not going as well as it might.

bornadog
15-04-2023, 04:17 PM
Although alarming for Darcy that it doesn't hide how much pud he's carrying irrespective of it being a dark strip!

Didn't notice :D

bornadog
15-04-2023, 04:20 PM

I have never rated the two of them and couldn't understand what Richmond outlaid for theses players

JanLorMill
15-04-2023, 04:47 PM
Apparently they says Gather round is the best thing since slice bread

jazzadogs
15-04-2023, 04:54 PM
42 shots on goal for the Lions would be the highest in a while? Too scared to ask Swamp in case the last time was last week or something.

G-Mo77
15-04-2023, 05:12 PM
Apparently they says Gather round is the best thing since slice bread

They're going to be talking this up so much all weekend and beyond. They're already pushing an anual spot for it.

There is another place who have lots of cool suburban grounds that can do something like this but unfortunately the AFL doesn't see them fit enough to play on.

Happy Days
15-04-2023, 05:18 PM
15k or so at this sell out.

JanLorMill
15-04-2023, 05:44 PM
They're going to be talking this up so much all weekend and beyond. They're already pushing an anual spot for it.

There is another place who have lots of cool suburban grounds that can do something like this but unfortunately the AFL doesn't see them fit enough to play on.
It’s sickening really. Like South Australia has never seen football before.

JanLorMill
15-04-2023, 05:49 PM
All games are sold out apparently yet there are a lot of empty seats

macca
15-04-2023, 05:58 PM

Hopper in particular, he was very poor last night and his skill execution is ordinary.

G-Mo77
15-04-2023, 06:27 PM

Is that the Mel V Ess game. If so I'd imagine most of the crowd will come through the gate late as it's a double header and they'll come to see Port get smashed tonight.

bornadog
15-04-2023, 06:47 PM
Dees getting done

G-Mo77
15-04-2023, 06:57 PM
Dees getting done

That's a shame.

DOG GOD
15-04-2023, 07:10 PM
Dees getting done
Lever and Gawn out is a massive loss for this mob

bornadog
15-04-2023, 07:14 PM
Lever and Gawn out is a massive loss for this mob

Yeah, but Essendon :eek: .

G-Mo77
15-04-2023, 07:19 PM
Yeah, but Essendon :eek: .

Sadly I think they're going to be pretty good. I hope not but think they're on the right track

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 07:24 PM
It's about to get quite soggy in Adelaide

bornadog
15-04-2023, 07:28 PM
It's about to get quite soggy in Adelaide

Tears from Dees supporters?

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 01:31 PM
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl-gather-round-set-to-remain-in-adelaide-until-at-least-2026-but-some-high-profile-voices-disagree/news-story/d2a2b97e89a6e695cf19f3830a4c4434?amp

AFL Gather Round set to remain in Adelaide until at least 2026 but some high profile voices disagree

Sell out crowds and an economic windfall for South Australia has helped drive a decision to keep the Gather Round in Adelaide, but not everyone agrees.

The AFL is expected to confirm the Gather Round will remain in South Australia for several years.

The deal is tipped to to keep the round in Adelaide until at least 2026 and could include a commitment from the AFL and the South Australian government to fund football facilities, - foreshadowed on Friday at a business lunch by AFL boss Gilllon an McLachlan and South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas..

Sellout crowds and an expected $80m economic windfall for the South Australian economy has helped drive the decision with football industry leaders believed to have been widely impressed with the Gather Round in South Australia.

The AFL last night was tight-lipped about the decision, issuing a statement that “the AFL will make a decision in the next week on the future of Gather Round to give the successful 2024 applicant 12 months to prepare.”

South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas said last week the round would be even better with more than five months to prepare.

“I hope from the AFL’s perspective they can see a value in keeping it by virtue of the fact we’ve done this in five months … so with 12 months’ preparation I honestly believe we can take it to another level,” he said.

Adelaide is so confident it can host it next year, Mr Malinauskas is urging the AFL to hand him a four-year contract.

It is understood that bedding down the Gather Round concept in one state for several years is a priority for the AFL , before possibly taking it to another state

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson, GWS board member Jimmy Bartel and Sydney coach John Longmire all believe the concept must rotate between the states.

And AFL legend Leigh Matthews said giving Adelaide and Port Adelaide an extra home game in what was now an uneven 23-match fixture was unfair in a game built on equalisation.

Clarkson said before his side’s defeat that he loved the concept but believed that, for the sake of development, states must share it around.

“It’s a wonderful buzzy atmosphere in the city. It would be a shame if it was locked down for one state,” he said.

“It will be a tough call for the AFL. But there are plenty of other states that could do just as good a job.”

He echoed Longmire’s call for his state to get its chance to show off its passion for footy.

“I think the concept, it would be hard to argue against the concept,” Longmire said. “It’s been an absolutely resounding success. It would be wonderful in Sydney. It is great to grow the game everywhere but if you can rotate something like this. You can’t rotate the grand final but wouldn’t it be great to take it on the road? It would be unreal.”

Geelong champion Bartel, now a GWS board member, told 3AW the league had to get real about investment across the nation.

“What is the ‘goal’ of Gather Round? If it’s to increase awareness of the game and introduce it to new people, then you have to move it around. If you’re truly investing in NSW, well the next one goes there.”

Matthews said as much as he enjoyed the concept, handing Adelaide and Port Adelaide that extra home game could be the difference between them making finals and missing out.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 01:32 PM
No doubt we will be fixtured against Adelaide in next year's gather round.

macca
16-04-2023, 01:46 PM
Dees getting done

Its good for the game, footy is the winner overall.
The best tbing about them not able to win GF in succession is they are draft tankers.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 01:48 PM
Its good for the game, footy is the winner overall.
The best tbing about them not able to win GF in succession is they are draft tankers.

Or just make it the traditional Saturday night fixture v PA.

hujsh
16-04-2023, 02:36 PM
AFL Gather Round set to remain in Adelaide until at least 2026 but some high profile voices disagree

Seems silly not to do the same in WA and Tassie at least. The AFL is so lazy though of course they'll say well that worked lock it in forever same way Carton VS Richmond traditional R1 season opener is locked in forever.

JanLorMill
16-04-2023, 05:58 PM
Seems silly not to do the same in WA and Tassie at least. The AFL is so lazy though of course they'll say well that worked lock it in forever same way Carton VS Richmond traditional R1 season opener is locked in forever.
Anzac Day

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 06:54 PM
Himmelberg just had the biggest minute ever.
Took mark of the year kicked the winning goal then saved the game by touching a certain goal on the line.

HOSE B ROMERO
16-04-2023, 07:00 PM
Took mark of the year kicked the winning goal then saved the game by touching a certain goal on the line.

Too right. Absolutely sensational 'clutch' moments video to show his grandchildren down the track.

And the fact that Sicily copped the knee to the back of his noggin makes it a definite for mark of the year.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 07:11 PM
Too right. Absolutely sensational 'clutch' moments video to show his grandchildren down the track.

And the fact that Sicily copped the knee to the back of his noggin makes it a definite for mark of the year.

Haha that knee was perfectly placed.

I pray we never take that away from forwards.

whythelongface
16-04-2023, 07:57 PM
Was expecting more from the Pies v Saints game. Good pressure from both sides creating a lot of turn over contributing to skill errors. Good to see the Pies 4 goals up early in the 4th

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 08:09 PM
Was expecting more from the Pies v Saints game. Good pressure from both sides creating a lot of turn over contributing to skill errors. Good to see the Pies 4 goals up early in the 4th

Pies ability to close space when defending is sensational.
Very well coached and unified team.
Bobby Hill is a very good pick up.

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 08:24 PM
Daicos 850 metres gained from 42 disposals never seen a better start to a career.

whythelongface
16-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Daicos 850 metres gained from 42 disposals never seen a better start to a career.

He is extremely talented.

whythelongface
16-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Pies ability to close space when defending is sensational.
Very well coached and unified team.
Bobby Hill is a very good pick up.

Very very good team. Would say current favourites but their lack of height will be a problem for them. Reminds me of us circa 2008 - 10.

EasternWest
16-04-2023, 08:48 PM
Haha that knee was perfectly placed.

I pray we never take that away from forwards.

Provided they're in the contest of course.

chef
16-04-2023, 09:05 PM
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl-gather-round-set-to-remain-in-adelaide-until-at-least-2026-but-some-high-profile-voices-disagree/news-story/d2a2b97e89a6e695cf19f3830a4c4434?amp

Sell out crowds and an economic windfall for South Australia has helped drive a decision to keep the Gather Round in Adelaide, but not everyone agrees.

The AFL is expected to confirm the Gather Round will remain in South Australia for several years.

The deal is tipped to to keep the round in Adelaide until at least 2026 and could include a commitment from the AFL and the South Australian government to fund football facilities, - foreshadowed on Friday at a business lunch by AFL boss Gilllon an McLachlan and South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas..

Sellout crowds and an expected $80m economic windfall for the South Australian economy has helped drive the decision with football industry leaders believed to have been widely impressed with the Gather Round in South Australia.

The AFL last night was tight-lipped about the decision, issuing a statement that “the AFL will make a decision in the next week on the future of Gather Round to give the successful 2024 applicant 12 months to prepare.”

South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas said last week the round would be even better with more than five months to prepare.

“I hope from the AFL’s perspective they can see a value in keeping it by virtue of the fact we’ve done this in five months … so with 12 months’ preparation I honestly believe we can take it to another level,” he said.

Adelaide is so confident it can host it next year, Mr Malinauskas is urging the AFL to hand him a four-year contract.

It is understood that bedding down the Gather Round concept in one state for several years is a priority for the AFL , before possibly taking it to another state

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson, GWS board member Jimmy Bartel and Sydney coach John Longmire all believe the concept must rotate between the states.

And AFL legend Leigh Matthews said giving Adelaide and Port Adelaide an extra home game in what was now an uneven 23-match fixture was unfair in a game built on equalisation.

Clarkson said before his side’s defeat that he loved the concept but believed that, for the sake of development, states must share it around.

“It’s a wonderful buzzy atmosphere in the city. It would be a shame if it was locked down for one state,” he said.

“It will be a tough call for the AFL. But there are plenty of other states that could do just as good a job.”

He echoed Longmire’s call for his state to get its chance to show off its passion for footy.

“I think the concept, it would be hard to argue against the concept,” Longmire said. “It’s been an absolutely resounding success. It would be wonderful in Sydney. It is great to grow the game everywhere but if you can rotate something like this. You can’t rotate the grand final but wouldn’t it be great to take it on the road? It would be unreal.”

Geelong champion Bartel, now a GWS board member, told 3AW the league had to get real about investment across the nation.

“What is the ‘goal’ of Gather Round? If it’s to increase awareness of the game and introduce it to new people, then you have to move it around. If you’re truly investing in NSW, well the next one goes there.”

Matthews said as much as he enjoyed the concept, handing Adelaide and Port Adelaide that extra home game could be the difference between them making finals and missing out.

Surely for the fairness of the fixture(lol) they should play the showdown this round. Takes away the extra home game for the SA sides.

jeemak
16-04-2023, 09:21 PM
Surely for the fairness of the fixture(lol) they should play the showdown this round. Takes away the extra home game for the SA sides.

Yep - the SA clubs can't be given three circle jerk rounds a year, two is sufficient.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:06 PM

I think he is out of contract too

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 10:14 PM

Well if my motivation is financial.

2 x stand alone showdowns.
2 x full house at Gather round.

Equals twice as much cash.

Wait... I feel like you already know that ;)

Why couldn't we draw Norf or someone.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:17 PM
Well if my motivation is financial.

2 x stand alone showdowns.
2 x full house at Gather round.

Equals twice as much cash.

Are you saying they play each other 4 times?

Grantysghost
16-04-2023, 10:24 PM
Are you saying they play each other 4 times?

I don't know what I'm saying most of the time.

If they just play the showdown in gather round you're not maximising profit would be their thinking.

We get stiffed with the draw I'd love to know what we request v what we get.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:29 PM
I don't know what I'm saying most of the time.

If they just play the showdown in gather round you're not maximising profit would be their thinking.

We get stiffed with the draw I'd love to know what we request v what we get.

For years I have argued with people about Blockbusters and think it is just ridiculous to sacrifice the integrity of a sport just for money and no other reason. We may as well let Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond play each other every week at the G and the rest can just play each other. We would really maximise profits.

I agree, the fair thing to do is have the derby at Gather round and SA can keep gather round every year. But as you know the AFL has no integrity as a sporting organisation.

macca
16-04-2023, 10:34 PM
For years I have argued with people about Blockbusters and think it is just ridiculous to sacrifice the integrity of a sport just for money and no other reason. We may as well let Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond play each other every week at the G and the rest can just play each other. We would really maximise profits.

I agree, the fair thing to do is have the derby at Gather round and SA can keep gather round every year. But as you know the AFL has no integrity as a sporting organisation.

I don't really understand this concept of having all the AFL teams play in SA. Isn't SA a football state already ?
If they want to promote footy, run it inn one of the non-AFL states like QLD, Tas and Sydney.

Logistically this may be a challenge as the grounds need to be AFL standard.

As for blockbuster pretty much agree, its all about the $$$ for big club members and ticket gate sales and the cable TV subscription.

Maybe I should not complain, at least there is Free to Air coverage unlike test cricket.

Bulldog4life
17-04-2023, 12:52 PM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/four-points-gushing-about-gather-round-the-heart-of-the-bombers-in-the-danger-zone-20230416-p5d0sb.html?utm_content=FEATURED&list_name=10023_age_realfooty&promote_channel=edmail&utm_campaign=afl-real-footy&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=2023-04-17&mbnr=MTAzNzM1MzM&instance=2023-04-17-10-22-AEST&jobid=29607559

Four Points: Gushing about Gather Round; the heart of the Bombers; in the Danger zone

Gather Round for home wins
Peter Malinauskas is a canny politician. He bought his state a round of football, untold investment, tourist dollars and the two local teams two more home games. And with home games came two wins. As far as dividend on political investment this is as good as it gets.

Integrity is a word unknown in the AFL when it comes to fixturing but in a competition where only half has a true home ground advantage and teams don’t play all others twice, where the Victorian teams travel half the amount of the non-Victorian teams, this is yet another added inconsistency.

This isn’t to diminish either the Crows or Power’s performances for they were superb and both thoroughly deserved their wins. Adelaide were stronger, ran the ball better, and looked like they would win from the first bounce. Port grew into the game in grim conditions, were far cleaner in the critical last quarter and were just as deserving.

This isn’t about that. This is about a competition where two, and only two, of the competition’s teams get an extra home game and the well-accepted advantages that flow from that. Put it this way, Port finished 11th last year, only won 10 games but seven of them were at home. The Crows finished 14th, won eight games and five of those were at Adelaide Oval.

In a 23-round competition, two teams get 12 home games. Fourteen teams get 11 home games and one neutral game. And two teams – Carlton and the Western Bulldogs this year – get 11 home games and 12 away games.

Put like that it’s hard to find a fairness argument in it. And yes, fairness, like integrity, is only ever whispered at the AFL and anyone heard to do so is quickly escorted from the building.

The gushing about Gather Round that came across the border – which for those not there was like pictures of food at a restaurant on a Facebook page, “Look where I am, you really you should be here” – means that of course this round was by all other measures an outrageous success. It will happen again, it should happen again. It was great; it brought eyeballs and cash to the game.

But it didn’t help that pesky integrity question. And for that Carlton and the Dogs can feel most aggrieved. They were the two teams that played an additional away game.

And before those in South Australia start frothing and flexing their fingers to thunder out a stern email about the hypocrisy of Victorians and travel and the VFL running the competition, don’t. This same unfairness issue affects the WA, NSW and QLD teams when two teams from one state only get an extra home game.

The clearest thinker in the game, Leigh Matthews, a Brisbane three-time premiership coach and board member made the same point.

It’s not insurmountable. The most obvious answer is that next year the round kicks off with a Showdown, Adelaide v Port.

hujsh
17-04-2023, 01:08 PM
Another potential solution here is to add another 'gather round' (say in WA for the sake of argument) so the WA teams would play the SA teams in both rounds giving them each a home and away game while the other teams get 2 neutral rounds.

angelopetraglia
17-04-2023, 01:17 PM
Another potential solution here is to add another 'gather round' (say in WA for the sake of argument) so the WA teams would play the SA teams in both rounds giving them each a home and away game while the other teams get 2 neutral rounds.

mmm because the AFL has a history of prioritizing fairness in their fixture before maximizing revenue ... ha

Boots
17-04-2023, 01:45 PM
All I know is, when I tuned in to watch the game all the commentators were crowing (har har) about Adelaide's win the night before and talking up Port. It didn't feel like a game we were meant to win.

What do you want to bet that if the showdown isn't in Gather Round next year, we play port again. Because "tradition" or "rivalry" or some such utter tripe.

hujsh
17-04-2023, 03:08 PM
mmm because the AFL has a history of prioritizing fairness in their fixture before maximizing revenue ... ha

Of course... BUT this would probably be a good revenue booster which makes it something in the realm of possibility. Main issue is it's two extra games a year, not sure what the AFLPA response to that is.

GVGjr
17-04-2023, 04:27 PM
What did people think of the booing of Horne-Francis?
I don't like booing unless there is a dirty act you want to respond to but ongoing booking to me just isn't on.

chef
17-04-2023, 04:41 PM
I don't like booing unless there is a dirty act you want to respond to but ongoing booking to me just isn't on.

It was pretty shit imo, hes just a kid at the end of the day wanting to go home. Must eat at him a bit.

And most people probably don't even know why they are doing it too.

GVGjr
17-04-2023, 04:46 PM
It was pretty shit imo, hes just a kid at the end of the day wanting to go home. Must eat at him a bit.

And most people probably don't even know why they are doing it too.

There is no logical reason for our fans to do it but I could sort of understand if it was North supporters.

He's still very likely to be a great player but I'm not sure we can keep saying it's part of the game when we know the toll it took on Goodes.

Go_Dogs
17-04-2023, 05:54 PM
There is no logical reason for our fans to do it but I could sort of understand if it was North supporters.

He's still very likely to be a great player but I'm not sure we can keep saying it's part of the game when we know the toll it took on Goodes.

Yeah, I kinda get it from North fans (don’t agree with it) but if it’s just general footy fans then it’s a bit off the mark.

Unfortunately the coach coming out and making a statement just draws more interest to it and I suspect we’ll see more of it rather than less as a result. What a world we live in…

GVGjr
17-04-2023, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I kinda get it from North fans (don’t agree with it) but if it’s just general footy fans then it’s a bit off the mark.

Unfortunately the coach coming out and making a statement just draws more interest to it and I suspect we’ll see more of it rather than less as a result. What a world we live in…

It's frustrating that making people aware of poor behaviour is more likely to create a bigger problem but doing nothing and ignoring it won't fix it either.

angelopetraglia
17-04-2023, 06:02 PM

I don't think there is a logical answer. However, I do think Kane Cornes baiting North fans all summer and not letting the issue of him leaving go and the ongoing continued reference to the ice bath incident has contributed to it.

GVGjr
17-04-2023, 06:16 PM
I don't think there is a logical answer. However, I do think Kane Cornes baiting North fans all summer and not letting the issue of him leaving go and the ongoing continued reference to the ice bath incident has contributed to it.

As I mentioned before, there could be plenty of reasons for North supporters to do it but I question the impact on some of the things Cornes has said as fuel for people supporting other clubs to do it.
The appears to be a culture that gets right into the hate part of attending games. I get people booing a dirty act by a player but I don't understand why JHF should be on the receiving end of boos from non North supporters.

Dry Rot
17-04-2023, 08:18 PM
As I mentioned before, there could be plenty of reasons for North supporters to do it but I question the impact on some of the things Cornes has said as fuel for people supporting other clubs to do it.
The appears to be a culture that gets right into the hate part of attending games. I get people booing a dirty act by a player but I don't understand why JHF should be on the receiving end of boos from non North supporters.

Agreed.

Why would say a Dogs fan boo him? It's nonsense.

jeemak
17-04-2023, 08:39 PM
People don't like already privileged people behaving like entitled wankers, which if you believe the stories of his behaviour at Norf, is what he acted like.

So in that sense I get it.

But, those very same people are prone to behaving like entitled wankers. They feel they're entitled to denigrate others for their own amusement.

Commentators are quick to call out this terrible victimisation of him, but in reality many of those same commentators were ripping into him via their privileged positions in the media like entitled wankers.

So in summary if everyone just stopped acting like entitled wankers the rest of us would all be able to get on with things.

Grantysghost
17-04-2023, 08:47 PM
People don't like already privileged people behaving like entitled wankers, which if you believe the stories of his behaviour at Norf, is what he acted like.

So in that sense I get it.

But, those very same people are prone to behaving like entitled wankers. They feel they're entitled to denigrate others for their own amusement.

Though does it really mean anything though? Does JHF really care about random people in the crowd? Commentators are quick to call out this terrible victimisation of him, but in reality many of those same commentators were ripping into him via their privileged positions in the media like entitled wankers.

So in summary if everyone just stopped acting like entitled wankers the rest of us would all be able to get on with things.

Are we entitled wankers if we use forums to call out the entitled wankers calling out the entitled wankers booing the entitled wanker?

It sounded better in my head

Dry Rot
17-04-2023, 08:49 PM
Anyone else see the leak of the radical game plan Brad Scott is employing at the Dons?

How Scott is using his players is instructive, too, of the longer-term goal.

Save for Kyle Langford, who is having a strong campaign as an effective Mr. Fix-It, Scott has settled his players in their best positions. Andrew McGrath has been much more effective as a half-back, and his exit has opened up more midfield time for others.

Can we learn from this?

jeemak
17-04-2023, 08:57 PM
Anyone else see the leak of the radical game plan Brad Scott is employing at the Dons?

Can we learn from this?

If that's the thing that stops our midfielders from checking out at different times of the game, then absolutely!

Grantysghost
17-04-2023, 09:34 PM
It's round 5 and Essendon have won the flag again.

Happens every year.

jazzadogs
17-04-2023, 10:28 PM
Agreed.

Why would say a Dogs fan boo him? It's nonsense.

Let's not underestimate the number of non-Port supporting South Australian 'neutrals' who would have been at the game. I can't see any reason that a Bulldogs supporter would boo him - but I can see a world where a South Australian who has spent all summer reading and hearing about how much of a coup he is would be frustrated.

Does that frustration mean the booing is reasonable? No...but it helps it make some sort of sense.

FrediKanoute
18-04-2023, 12:13 AM
I don't get the angst about booing and I definitely don't buy the argument that he's just a kid.

Whilst I don't particularly care that he left North and went home, I do get why some people would be annoyed with him - an entitled kid who didn't want to play by the rules.......At least Rankine waited a couple of seasons before he exited the Suns!

JHF - from all reports acted like a spoilt child when he was at Nth and showed the club a lot of disrespect. Good player or not. Kid or not respect for the jumper/club is important.

If he's old enough to sign a deal; old enough to say no to a new deal; old enough to demonstrably disrespect the fans then he is old enough to be booed.

If as a fan you cannot go to a football game and boo who you want then something is wrong.

GVGjr
18-04-2023, 01:06 AM
I don't get the angst about booing and I definitely don't buy the argument that he's just a kid.

Whilst I don't particularly care that he left North and went home, I do get why some people would be annoyed with him - an entitled kid who didn't want to play by the rules.......At least Rankine waited a couple of seasons before he exited the Suns!

JHF - from all reports acted like a spoilt child when he was at Nth and showed the club a lot of disrespect. Good player or not. Kid or not respect for the jumper/club is important.

If he's old enough to sign a deal; old enough to say no to a new deal; old enough to demonstrably disrespect the fans then he is old enough to be booed.

If as a fan you cannot go to a football game and boo who you want then something is wrong.

I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't boo but outside of North supporters I don't really get why other supporters would target JHF. Good luck to anyone if that's their thing.

But it does beg the question if a 19yo footballer is fair game for adults to boo then why a supporter in the off season doing a parody of Greta Thundberg's catch cry of "how dare you" isn't regarded as a good look.
I'm not sure I agree with a concept that its better to bully or ridicule than parody.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?19268-How-Dare-You

hujsh
18-04-2023, 01:22 AM
I don't think anyone is saying you shouldn't boo but outside of North supporters I don't really get why other supporters would target JHF. Good luck to anyone if that's their thing.

But it does beg the question if a 19yo footballer is fair game for adults to boo then why a supporter in the off season doing a parody of Greta Thundberg's catch cry of "how dare you" isn't regarded as a good look.
I'm not sure I agree with a concept that its better to bully or ridicule than parody.

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?19268-How-Dare-You

That's some top level snitching there.

But I think if you just read the two posts Fredi has already explained the stances well enough no? Do you honestly need him to break down the differences between those two cases?

GVGjr
18-04-2023, 01:39 AM
That's some top level snitching there.

But I think if you just read the two posts Fredi has already explained the stances well enough no? Do you honestly need him to break down the differences between those two cases?

Fredi always gives good reasons and I closed the How dare you thread on the strength of his response. Having recently stumbled across that thread again and then reading his response to booing I just thought it was inconsistent.
After hearing the impact to JUH with the racial slurs and taunts, the impact of the booing of Goodes I think it's time to consider if targeted booing is still appropriate.

hujsh
18-04-2023, 10:06 AM
Fredi always gives good reasons and I closed the How dare you thread on the strength of his response. Having recently stumbled across that thread again and then reading his response to booing I just thought it was inconsistent.
After hearing the impact to JUH with the racial slurs and taunts, the impact of the booing of Goodes I think it's time to consider if targeted booing is still appropriate.

I think you know the difference between these and JHF too. I get the similarities but that's just surface level. We can talk about if booing is appropriate but these comparisons are like trying to compare calling someone a cracker vs A*o to say all slurs are bad.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2023, 10:36 AM
This next generation coming through are really an entitled lot.

They expect to be able to do what they want without repercussions. It's not one bit surprising given they've grown up doing exactly what they want and no one is allowed to tell them no or provide decent discipline. You only have to walk into a school to see how that's playing out.

I don't think the current environment is building any kind of resilience amongst our kids today. There's overstepping the mark, discrimination etc but then there's things like this. He's entitled to do what he wants to ge to Port, but he can't expect north fans not to boo him given what he did to them. Why neutral fans would boo him is beyond me but there's really only been 1 match with solid evidence of that yeah?

hujsh
18-04-2023, 10:40 AM
This next generation coming through are really an entitled lot.

They expect to be able to do what they want without repercussions. It's not one bit surprising given they've grown up doing exactly what they want and no one is allowed to tell them no or provide decent discipline. You only have to walk into a school to see how that's playing out.

I don't think the current environment is building any kind of resilience amongst our kids today. There's overstepping the mark, discrimination etc but then there's things like this. He's entitled to do what he wants to ge to Port, but he can't expect north fans not to boo him given what he did to them. Why neutral fans would boo him is beyond me but there's really only been 1 match with solid evidence of that yeah?

Mr. Rogan, has JHF actually complained or are you conflating him with your perception of younger people and the media coverage defending him?

More seriously and pointless inter-generational culture warfare aside I've not actually seen him speak out against the booing. Hinkley has condemned it, the some media has as well, Jason just played a game of football.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2023, 10:47 AM
Mr. Rogan, has JHF actually complained or are you conflating him with your perception of younger people and the media coverage defending him?

More seriously and pointless inter-generational culture warfare aside I've not actually seen him speak out against the booing. Hinkley has condemned it, the some media has as well, Jason just played a game of football.

Why all the uproar if he doesn't have a problem with it?

Pointless inter-generational culture warfare.....that's a good one

hujsh
18-04-2023, 10:52 AM
Why all the uproar if he doesn't have a problem with it?

Pointless inter-generational culture warfare.....that's a good one

It was always going to be brought up for discussion in the media once he was booed. Especially since there's some confusion around who exactly was booing him. Former players get booed all the time but 'was he booed by neutrals?' is something to fill time on TV and inches in newspapers.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2023, 11:01 AM
It was always going to be brought up for discussion in the media once he was booed. Especially since there's some confusion around who exactly was booing him. Former players get booed all the time but 'was he booed by neutrals?' is something to fill time on TV and inches in newspapers.

He was booed by pies fans which was surprsing but unsurprising at the same time.

Gather round we won't know who was booing him.

Ultimately, North fans will boo him when their clubs meet. It might last another couple seasons then it'll fizzle out.

I haven't actually read anything specific on this and why it's creating such an uproar. It seemed to start after the pies game. But has it turned into that he shouldn't be booed at all?

soupman
18-04-2023, 11:06 AM
I think it partly kicked off because Collingwood, with its supporter group who bemoaned the booing of Ginnivan and said it was an unfair thing for a 19 year old to cop, especially considering the increased focus on mentla health, have spent the first couple of rounds this year booing the shit out of 20 year old Ollie Henry and 19 year old JHF.

GVGjr
18-04-2023, 11:09 AM
I think you know the difference between these and JHF too. I get the similarities but that's just surface level. We can talk about if booing is appropriate but these comparisons are like trying to compare calling someone a cracker vs A*o to say all slurs are bad.

Well I actually don't know the reasons behind the JHF booing and why it started in that round. If it's because of the way he left North then I don't understand why other clubs supporters would be buying into it.
Perhaps I'm being a bit protective of the indigenous boys given we know the impact the targeted booing had on Goodes and what happened to JUH with racial slurs. I'd hope JHF isn't subjected to anything like what Goodes endured.

GVGjr
18-04-2023, 11:11 AM
He was booed by pies fans which was surprsing but unsurprising at the same time.

Gather round we won't know who was booing him.

Ultimately, North fans will boo him when their clubs meet. It might last another couple seasons then it'll fizzle out.

I haven't actually read anything specific on this and why it's creating such an uproar. It seemed to start after the pies game. But has it turned into that he shouldn't be booed at all?

Yep, he will be prepared for the North response but I think this one caught both Port and Horne Francis unaware.

soupman
18-04-2023, 11:12 AM
Yep, he will be prepared for the North response but I think this one caught both Port and Horne Francis unaware.

He has been built up as a divisive figure by the media, and his actions have given it just enough credence for dumb SEN public buy in.

Grantysghost
18-04-2023, 11:17 AM
It's an interesting discussion.

I've always hated booing - I think I cry booed Callan Ward once, it just came out as "I love you Callan how could you break my heart like this YOU WERE THE CHOSEN OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE" amidst the sobbing.

Regarding kids being less resilient now, as someone who manages a few 20 somethings and has teenage nieces and nephews it's just not true.

If anything they are as or more resilient considering the world of social media, and a camera in everyone's pocket.

IF it's affecting mental health, then it should be called out. I really don't know how you stop it, however making people aware of it might reduce it a bit due to some people realising it isn't cool and changing their behaviour.

hujsh
18-04-2023, 11:34 AM
Well I actually don't know the reasons behind the JHF booing and why it started in that round. If it's because of the way he left North then I don't understand why other clubs supporters would be buying into it.
Perhaps I'm being a bit protective of the indigenous boys given we know the impact the targeted booing had on Goodes and what happened to JUH with racial slurs. I'd hope JHF isn't subjected to anything like what Goodes endured.

Well my point was the two examples you used were racially motivated which is a bit different than booing someone because you perceive them as being a dickhead. I'm fairly certain JHF wasn't booed for that reason.

GVGjr
18-04-2023, 11:42 AM
He has been built up as a divisive figure by the media, and his actions have given it just enough credence for dumb SEN public buy in.

I'm critical of the way he departed North.
I agree it does appear the media hasn't done him a lot of favors either.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2023, 12:23 PM

I've always hated booing - I think I cry booed Callan Ward once, it just came out as "I love you Callan how could you break my heart like this YOU WERE THE CHOSEN OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE" amidst the sobbing.

Regarding kids being less resilient now, as someone who manages a few 20 somethings and has teenage nieces and nephews it's just not true.

If anything they are as or more resilient considering the world of social media, and a camera in everyone's pocket.

IF it's affecting mental health, then it should be called out. I really don't know how you stop it, however making people aware of it might reduce it a bit due to some people realising it isn't cool and changing their behaviour.

I never have or ever will boo anyone. Mostly because I know it's not going to change anything.

What affects mental health is just such a complicated topic and will be different for each individual. The 'cancel culture' that is currently occurring is as such a complicated issue (diversity aside) given that. People have been accused of playing the mental health card to get out of a situation but how could anyone actually call someone out on it? How would you ever know how something affects someone?

Re the resilience, it's of course not applicable to all youths. There is a hell of a lot of good that the next generation is bringing that will make this world a better place. However what is happening in schools and on the streets is concerning. There is a significant divide playing out right now but I digress.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2023, 12:37 PM
I'm critical of the way he departed North.
I agree it does appear the media hasn't done him a lot of favors either.

It's interesting. If he was so determined to play in SA, could he have given this indication before the draft? Did he? Or was it north he had a problem with?

macca
18-04-2023, 01:23 PM

I am sure he really cares deep down leaving the dogs with his multimillion dollars in the bank... without a Premiership medallion.

There is a long list of great AFL players who have played 300+ games without a premiership. I wonder how much they would be prepared to give back in terms of dollars to be a premiership player ?

GVGjr
18-04-2023, 01:33 PM
It's interesting. If he was so determined to play in SA, could he have given this indication before the draft? Did he? Or was it north he had a problem with?

All the interviews would focus on that very point. I heard that he genuinely wanted to go #1 but he also wanted to stay in SA. North backed it's ability to keep him but we're a shambles

GVGjr
18-04-2023, 01:40 PM
I am sure he really cares deep down leaving the dogs with his multimillion dollars in the bank... without a Premiership medallion.

There is a long list of great AFL players who have played 300+ games without a premiership. I wonder how much they would be prepared to give back in terms of dollars to be a premiership player ?

You do know we low balled Ward with our initial offer which opened the door for his manager to explore the marke? He was keen to stay but by the time we submitted a revised offer it was a bit late.
All water under the bridge now.

hujsh
18-04-2023, 01:59 PM
You do know we low balled Ward with our initial offer which opened the door for his manager to explore the marke? He was keen to stay but by the time we submitted a revised offer it was a bit late.
All water under the bridge now.

That and it's never quite so simple as stay=premiership. He probably made the best decision for himself at the time given what he knew.

GVGjr
18-04-2023, 02:02 PM
That and it's never quite so simple as stay=premiership. He probably made the best decision for himself at the time given what he knew.

Before our revised offer he had two offers, one a significant low ball from us and two a well overs offer form GWS. Most should be able to appreciate that a judgement error on our behalf opened the door for his departure.

Grantysghost
18-04-2023, 02:05 PM

Yes the knee of Zaine never happens if he stays.

Everything had to go exactly as it did.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ddLLiCjGDOmrNLoE34/giphy.gif

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2023, 02:09 PM
Yes the knee of Zaine never happens if he stays.

Everything had to go exactly as it did.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ddLLiCjGDOmrNLoE34/giphy.gif

I would never boo Zaines knee

EasternWest
18-04-2023, 02:27 PM

It's ok, Boomers hated us too. It's just what happens, pointless as it is.

The thing is we all grew up with our own problems and not the next generation's problems so we can't understand their experience because it isn't happening to us.

It's like the day you realise triple J isn't aimed at you anymore. It just happens.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2023, 02:42 PM

The thing is we all grew up with our own problems and not the next generation's problems so we can't understand their experience because it isn't happening to us.

It's like the day you realise triple J isn't aimed at you anymore. It just happens.

Exactly. I don't hate the next generation at all. Wasn't my point but I guess I should have been careful with my words knowing where im posting.

I know my generation isn't as resilient as the one before and the one before that. We are products of the environment we've grown up in. I can't imagine growing up during 2 world wars and a great depression.

What's great about each subsequent generation is they are speaking up for themselves and their beliefs. There's so much bs in society that is driven down from the elite or is just done because it's always been done that way. New generations are challenging the bs and it's great.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2023, 02:45 PM

The worst day was hearing my eras music on gold fm.

hujsh
18-04-2023, 02:58 PM
Exactly. I don't hate the next generation at all. Wasn't my point but I guess I should have been careful with my words knowing where im posting.

I know my generation isn't as resilient as the one before and the one before that. We are products of the environment we've grown up in. I can't imagine growing up during 2 world wars and a great depression.

What's great about each subsequent generation is they are speaking up for themselves and their beliefs. There's so much bs in society that is driven down from the elite or is just done because it's always been done that way. New generations are challenging the bs and it's great.

Can't deny how bad they were but that doesn't diminish what subsequent generations have gone through. The threat of a world ending nuclear war, the growing inequality and diminishing quality of life, the existential dread of climate change. All pretty horrible things that all pose different tolls on people.

And appologies if I judged you harshly. When I read that comment my first association was the “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” BS that gets trotted out to dismiss and attack Millennials (without realising it's actually Gen Z who are the 20 year olds now)

bulldogsthru&thru
18-04-2023, 03:15 PM
Can't deny how bad they were but that doesn't diminish what subsequent generations have gone through. The threat of a world ending nuclear war, the growing inequality and diminishing quality of life, the existential dread of climate change. All pretty horrible things that all pose different tolls on people.

And appologies if I judged you harshly. When I read that comment my first association was the “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.” BS that gets trotted out to dismiss and attack Millennials (without realising it's actually Gen Z who are the 20 year olds now)

I'm not trying to diminish what subsequent generations have gone through. I'm a millennial. Ive heard it all from boomers. But at the same time we cant hurl abuse to all of them for our issues (even though i want to!). Again, we're products of our time and environment.

I don't think it's wrong to compare the environments we've grown up in, but to your point, we shouldn't pass judgement.
Knowing what was changing in schools some 10-15years ago, it doesn't surprise me seeing some of the issues our youth are currently facing.

Anyway, maybe this is all a storm in a teacup. Perhaps the crowd were just saying boo-urns.

macca
18-04-2023, 03:26 PM

Your are right @hujush, its not so simple and its easy to talk in hindsight.

I am not criticizing him, as he did what he thought was best and financially he has set himself up.

Honestly, I did not think we were premiership contenders until we beat the Eagles in Perth in 2016.

Grantysghost
18-04-2023, 04:05 PM

#genx4life

jeemak
18-04-2023, 04:57 PM

Can somebody get Franco off the toilet?

Bulldog4life
18-04-2023, 05:07 PM
Talking about booing. I liked what Jerry did after being booed on stage. He went to her work and booed her. Great comedy.

Grantysghost
18-04-2023, 05:08 PM
Talking about booing. I liked what Jerry did after being booed on stage. He went to her work and booed her. Great comedy.

Haha.

Then she lost her pinkie toe in a street sweeper accident.

FrediKanoute
18-04-2023, 11:34 PM

Thanks! Not sure I do ;)

I appreciate the no good look booing a kid and it is inconsistent. If there is a difference between Greta and JHF it's that one is (in my opinion) doing something that has an inherently selfless objective, whilst the other has acted in an essentially selfish manner.

Booing Goodes and JUH for standing up to racial vilification is never acceptable.

My personal guide

Griffin - OK to Boo (but laugh at as well and then thank for delivering a Premiership)
Nathan Brown - Really OK to Boo
Callam Ward - OK to Boo
Dunk's - Boo till the cows come home
JHF - North supporter - Boo and much as you want - Other supporter - your call, but understand why you are booing
Wayne Carey - boo him because he is a great player who regular;y tears your team a new one, put is a complete sh*t of a human being
Toby Greene - see Wayne Carey above
Sol Campbell - Completely exempt from any sympathy for the rest of his life (though do draw the line at racial slurs here as they are never OK) - forever to be booed especially with the confines of White Hart Lane

jazzadogs
19-04-2023, 09:31 AM
Thanks! Not sure I do ;)

I appreciate the no good look booing a kid and it is inconsistent. If there is a difference between Greta and JHF it's that one is (in my opinion) doing something that has an inherently selfless objective, whilst the other has acted in an essentially selfish manner.

Booing Goodes and JUH for standing up to racial vilification is never acceptable.

My personal guide

Griffin - OK to Boo (but laugh at as well and then thank for delivering a Premiership)
Nathan Brown - Really OK to Boo
Callam Ward - OK to Boo
Dunk's - Boo till the cows come home
JHF - North supporter - Boo and much as you want - Other supporter - your call, but understand why you are booing
Wayne Carey - boo him because he is a great player who regular;y tears your team a new one, put is a complete sh*t of a human being
Toby Greene - see Wayne Carey above
Sol Campbell - Completely exempt from any sympathy for the rest of his life (though do draw the line at racial slurs here as they are never OK) - forever to be booed especially with the confines of White Hart Lane

Is there anyone you WON'T boo? ;)