PDA

View Full Version : Please sit down before you read this.

Twodogs
01-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Adam Goodes has got off at the tribunal. A big shock I know, that's why I advised you to sit down.

The Coon Dog
01-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Adam Goodes has got off at the tribunal. A big shock I know, that's why I advised you to sit down.

Thankfully we're not playing Sydney this week!

mjp
01-04-2008, 07:37 PM
So...it has started already, has it?

On what basis was he found not guilty of doing what the camera clearly showed him doing?

hujsh
01-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I think they said lack of clear evidence

Sockeye Salmon
01-04-2008, 07:58 PM

Player swings elbow.
Elbow hits head.
Opponents head leaves body.

How much more evidence do they need?

Can we just get the NRL judicary to run things in future?

LostDoggy
01-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I think hes got a temper old Goodsey.

Apart from the head high contact, whats the difference between a forward punching a backmens arm off their jumper? Thats still a strike with forceful contact i would have thought. How come they never get sited?

The Coon Dog
01-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Goodes cleared to equal record (http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23467722-23211,00.html)

DUAL Brownlow Medallist Adam Goodes has been given the chance to equal Sydney's consecutive games record streak after beating a striking charge at the AFL Tribunal.

The 28-year-old can now play in Saturday night's clash with Brisbane at the Gabba after being cleared of striking Port Adelaide's Matt Thomas early in last Sunday's match at the SCG.

The match will be his 194th in succession, a streak which stretches back to 1999, and will equal the mark set by teammate Jared Crouch in 2006.

It is the second time in as many seasons that a visit to the tribunal has paid off for Goodes, after he had an alleged charging offence downgraded to striking last year, which also allowed him to avoid a suspension.

Goodes successfully argued that he was simply trying to shrug off Thomas, when the Power player tackled him after a fellow Port player had been awarded a free kick.

He argued that Thomas tripped over his legs and was left dazed after his head struck the SCG centre wicket area, which he said was as hard as it had been at any time during his career.

Goodes said he had shrugged the youngster off because he had feared that otherwise he would be brought to ground and he did not want to fall on the hard surface himself.

Video evidence played to the tribunal was inconclusive as to whether Goodes made contact to Thomas with his arm.

Earlier Brisbane's Daniel Merrett accepted a reprimand and 93.75 points towards his future record for engaging in rough conduct against Collingwood's Anthony Rocca during the third quarter of Friday's match at the Gabba.

And Geelong's Josh Hunt has accepted a reprimand for tripping Essendon's Brent Stanton during the third quarter of their clash at the Telstra Dome on Sunday.

Twodogs
01-04-2008, 08:36 PM
So what the article essentially says is that Goodes will only be suspended if he actually shoots someone dead on the ground, makes a full confession and a video outlining what he's intends on doing and posts it in youtube an hour before the game then he might get a couple of weeks.

As long as it's deemed not be 'in play'.

BulldogBelle
01-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Goodes seems to get off each and every time he fronts the tribunal. He seems to be able to do whatever he wants and always gets away with it. Guess his string of consecutive games won't be broken now.

LostDoggy
01-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Twodogs you were one that said the game is well administered. :)

I love how they brought in the new fandangled points system a few years back that no one understands expect Adrian Anderson.
How can they have a court/sentencing system where the precedent for similar type incident means nothing?

Sockeye Salmon
01-04-2008, 09:20 PM

I love how they brought in the new fandangled points system a few years back that no one understands expect Adrian Anderson.
How can they have a court/sentencing system where the precedent for similar type incident means nothing?

The points system is fantastic. It's the implementation that's a shambles.

Footy tragics like all of us should be able to look at an incident and say high contact, in play, low impact and reckless* - 5 points, 2 weeks. The worst that should happen would be Mantis chipping in and saying "that should be moderate impact" or TCD says "that should be negligent rather than reckless".

The MRP haven't been too bad but the tribunal is an absolute joke.

* I don't actually see the point of having 'negligent' as well as 'reckless'.

LostDoggy
01-04-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't know why you have to have a point system at all. Adding 4 different aspects is just stupid.
The grading system the NRL has is better but the AFL couldn't copy it as they think any other code is wrong
Why don't they just say any elbow to the head is 5 weeks, add a couple for those with a record.

Also whether its in play off the ball should not make a difference. Either you hit him or you didn't.

Watch this space, one of our guys will be up soon and get weeks.

Twodogs
01-04-2008, 10:50 PM

I'm happy to point out the flood of money coming into the game making our club just as important to the product the AFL has to supply to the networks as any club as many times as you like. Given we are going nowhere and are always going to be based in the west of Melbourne I reckon that's as good an outcome as we could expect. At least they seem to be serious about helping Victorian clubs to have better facilities in recovery, fitness and planning.

Watch this space, one of our guys will be up soon and get weeks

Yeah, well Duh!

Remind me never to ask you to help with my tattslotto numbers. You'd give me last weeks.

LostDoggy
01-04-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm happy to point out the flood of money coming into the game making our club just as important to the product the AFL has to supply to the networks as any club as many times as you like. Given we are going nowhere and are always going to be based in the west of Melbourne I reckon that's as good an outcome as we could expect. At least they seem to be serious about helping Victorian clubs to have better facilities in recovery, fitness and planning.
Ok then, whether or not this money goes to our club or saves us remains to be seen.

Tell us more about the 18 team league fiasco and how the Gold Coast has no support for a team and about this Gabba 2016 contract they forgot to mention. The pubicity on this seem to be strangely quiet. Me things a lot of this money might be wasted there.

Sockeye Salmon
02-04-2008, 10:17 AM

You don't seriously think the AFL wouldn't shunt us off to West Sydney if they got half a chance?

We look the best (off field) we've been for years but don't for a second think the AFL isn't going to cull two more Melbourne clubs.

All we can hope for is that North and Melbourne fall over first.

Twodogs
02-04-2008, 12:25 PM
You don't seriously think the AFL wouldn't shunt us off to West Sydney if they got half a chance?

And leave how big an area with no football club?

Kensington to Werribeee mate, Kensington to Werribee.

mighty_west
02-04-2008, 02:39 PM

Looked to be alot more clearer than the Howat / Hartlett incidents from last weeks Blues v Tigers game.

LostDoggy
02-04-2008, 05:00 PM
And leave how big an area with no football club?

Kensington to Werribeee mate, Kensington to Werribee.

No clubs in an afl stronghold of bigger areas like Tasmania and NT but does that make a difference?

alwaysadog
05-04-2008, 02:10 AM
So what the article essentially says is that Goodes will only be suspended if he actually shoots someone dead on the ground, makes a full confession and a video outlining what he's intends on doing and posts it in youtube an hour before the game then he might get a couple of weeks.

As long as it's deemed not be 'in play'.

Seems an excessive punishment to me, a caution and a few points but no more than say fifty. He's a protected animal afterall.

alwaysadog
05-04-2008, 02:18 AM
Wayne Carey gave evidence at the tribunal that Goodes was at his apartment at the time of the alleged offence!

I like your work:D