PDA

View Full Version : Myths that were dispelled against StKilda

westdog54
05-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Will Minson can't take an overhead mark.

He may have missed the set shot, but to stick that mark in the 3rd quarter was wonderful to watch.

Mitch Hahn can't mark overhead or kick a set shot

Wrong and wrong. One of the best games I've seen Mitch play.

Dylan Addison is a dud

Was outstanding tonight. Solo effort to kick a goal when we didn't look like scoring all night. Tackling, pressure and ability to win the ball were all exemplary. Disposal by foot was excellent.

Tim Callan won't make it as a footballer

Another 'lesser light' who can hold his head very very high tonight. Was solid in defence, hard at the ball right from the opening seconds and skills were excellent.

Cross and West are the only midfielders we have who can win the hardball

I can't remember any recent game where so many have gone in headfirst to win the ball at any given stage.

Scott Welsh doesn't give second efforts

Was laying tackles and chasing after marking contests, after making a strong lead in the first place. Front-runner for recruit of the year.

You can't outmark Nick Riewoldt

When you outmark one of the best sets of hands in the competition, you're having a pretty good night. Dale absolutely pulled his pants down.

Stephen Milne is not a complete prat

Well, this one's not really a myth, but he is a complete prat.

Feel free to add your own to the list.

westdog54
05-04-2008, 02:12 AM
They showed some closeups of Riewoldt's facial expressions in the last quarter. Dale should watch the replay and enjoy.

The free kick he gave away late in the game was very un-Riewoldt-like. Dale must've frustrated the hell out of him.

alwaysadog
05-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Myth the Dogs can't beat decent opposition unless Johnson kicks a bag

Not sure which we dispelled that one or the one that says the Saints are decent opposition

hujsh
05-04-2008, 02:20 AM
That we wilt on the big stage

becmatty
05-04-2008, 02:37 AM
1. Players don't come back as agile after knee injuries

Myth dispelled - Griffin's brilliance to fleet-footedly evade Blake and burn grass as he charged towards goal in the second quarter was Hawkins-like.

Similarly, Hahn and Murphy - both former knee victims - stepped up a gear to show superb agility and courage.

2. If Johno has a bad night, the doggies have a bad night

Scoreless for one of the first times in recent memory, Johnno may not have contributed much but he will surely need a neck massage as he watched the ball sail of his head 19 times by a growing batch of goal-kicking mid-fielders. In fact, when you consider that Higgins is out and Gia, Welsh and Johnno (our four most likely goal kickers) contributed one goal in a side that has smashed St Kilda, there are some good signs ahead!...

3. Cooney has not lived up to his no-1 draft pick status

Blistering pace. Superb execution. Slick movement. Match winner. Say no more.

Go doggies!

westdog54
05-04-2008, 02:51 AM

Myth dispelled - Griffin's brilliance to fleet-footedly evade Blake and burn grass as he charged towards goal in the second quarter was Hawkins-like.

Was almost Andrew Johns-like. Left Blake for dead.

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 08:28 AM
How about the appreciation of our players for contested footy? They like because they are better at it.
To me thats been the single main difference in our game style.

DOG GOD
05-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Totally agree ernie. That was the MOST pleasing aspect. Hard at the ball. bodies on the line. Ran for team mates. Helped out team mates.

VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!

Mantis
05-04-2008, 10:15 AM
^^^

On the ball ernie.

Let's hope the players watch a tape of the game and it sinks in that when we play play tough committed footy we are a damn good side.

The consistency of effort was fantastic after 1/4 time, probably before 1/4 time... The signs late in the 1st qtr were that we were going to have a crack which is all we can ask for.

Myth:

* Mantis can drink his own body weight - Yes he can!!!

Go_Dogs
05-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Dylan Addison is a dud

Was outstanding tonight. Solo effort to kick a goal when we didn't look like scoring all night. Tackling, pressure and ability to win the ball were all exemplary. Disposal by foot was excellent.

Tim Callan won't make it as a footballer

Another 'lesser light' who can hold his head very very high tonight. Was solid in defence, hard at the ball right from the opening seconds and skills were excellent.

I just want to comment on these two - agreed whole heartedly. Whilst I was impressed with Dylan's game last week, I still held question marks over his ability to back it up and become a more consistent performer. He did that this week, by not only matching but exceeding the work he put in against Melbourne against tougher opposition. His attack on the ball, contest, body and disposal were all great. His deft little kick into the F50 at one stage (to Aker I think) was perfect. Played a great game.

Callan was also impressive. Showed composure when he had the ball and didn't turn it over. Was prepared to throw his body around like a maniac in the backline too.

Again, lot's of positives.

1eyedog
05-04-2008, 11:38 AM
That St.Kilda are Geelong's number 1 threat for the flag

westdog54
05-04-2008, 12:34 PM

How they capitulated like they did after quarter time is beyond me. Are they really that bad a side? I would've said no, but after last night?

BulldogBelle
05-04-2008, 12:51 PM

Hard to beleive isn't it!

ledge
05-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Maybe the bulldogs are? Or is St Kilda are just a media favourite this year

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Dylan Addison's one handed mark was as cool as you would like.

Minson held MANY, MANY marks last night. And even though he missed the easy one from in front, his impossible angle shot at the end makes you think that he may well make it as a forward. In any case, no one is talking about him, but I reckon he was easily in our best players last night.

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Myth: The dogs recruitment record is abysmal for new and recycled players.

Callan, Hudson, and Welsh - great pick ups - that have added much needed grunt to the team.

Josh Hill #61 in the 2006 Draft (and I haven't mentioned Everitt or Williams) and we haven't even started on the 2007 crop.

Dancin' Douggy
05-04-2008, 03:05 PM

Similarly, Hahn and Murphy - both former knee victims - stepped up a gear to show superb agility and courage.

2. If Johno has a bad night, the doggies have a bad night

Scoreless for one of the first times in recent memory, Johnno may not have contributed much but he will surely need a neck massage as he watched the ball sail of his head 19 times by a growing batch of goal-kicking mid-fielders. In fact, when you consider that Higgins is out and Gia, Welsh and Johnno (our four most likely goal kickers) contributed one goal in a side that has smashed St Kilda, there are some good signs ahead!...

3. Cooney has not lived up to his no-1 draft pick status

Blistering pace. Superb execution. Slick movement. Match winner. Say no more.

Go doggies!
Here comes a big statement.
If Cooney keeps on this upward curve he will eclipse Riewoldt as the best No 1 pick ever.
Some bozo writing for the herald slum said Sam Fisher was the best player in that draft.
What the?............

Dancin' Douggy
05-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Was it really Healy? I've always respected him but I think that one's a clanger.

hujsh
05-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Here comes a big statement.
If Cooney keeps on this upward curve he will eclipse Riewoldt as the best No 1 pick ever.
Some bozo writing for the herald slum said Sam Fisher was the best player in that draft.
What the?............

He was almost AA (apparently) so maybe he's been a bit better so far but Cooney has more development left. Will be the appropriate pick in hindsight by the end of the year.

Dancin' Douggy
05-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Who was almost AA?

hujsh
05-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Who was almost AA?

Fisher (according to the paper)

mjp
05-04-2008, 06:34 PM
All good myths being 'busted'...but I am pretty sure you do that over a season, not over a game. The team played really well for 3/4's, but just as the sky wasn't really falling just one month ago (predictions of a handful of wins and bottom 4 finish by some posters here) there is no real cause for "I told you so's" just yet.

Except for the Stephen Milne thing. But then again, I dont think anyone really believed that myth was true anyway.

ledge
05-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Myth: The dogs recruitment record is abysmal for new and recycled players.

Callan, Hudson, and Welsh - great pick ups - that have added much needed grunt to the team.

Josh Hill #61 in the 2006 Draft (and I haven't mentioned Everitt or Williams) and we haven't even started on the 2007 crop.

And Aker!

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
That we wilt on the big stage

Let me say this...
WE HAVE REACHED THE MOUNTAIN
and I want to go down the other side....

1eyedog
05-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Let me say this...

Let's just climb up to the top and sit down to enjoy the view first;)

Dancin' Douggy
05-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Let me say this...

Boys, boys, boys. We've just reached base camp in the foothills.
The mountain is looming ahead of us

LostDoggy
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
That Gilbee cannot play in the midfield

1eyedog
06-04-2008, 11:02 AM
That Brian Lake doesn't have any personality. Did anyone see him knocking Kosi everytime Kosi tried to take a drink, funny stuff, even Kosi was laughing at him. Heard an interview on C. Wight on the ABC and the interviewees asked Wight about the Kosi-Lake verbal contest and Wight said Kosi was giving Lake crap about changing his name and Lake replied "shut up or i'll get Gia to knock you out again"

Go_Dogs
06-04-2008, 12:05 PM
He was almost AA (apparently) so maybe he's been a bit better so far but Cooney has more development left. Will be the appropriate pick in hindsight by the end of the year.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Sam Fisher plays a very easy position, a half back runner who pretty much runs around by himself and delivers long to one of the best tall forward lines ever. Cooney has been playing midfield and been tagged pretty much since day 1. It's definitely a much harder gig than Sam's and Adam has done pretty damn well over his first 4 years, and looks to be stepping up in a big way this year off a full pre-season.

Not a knock against you hujsh, more so Healy for his inaccurate statement.

westdog54
06-04-2008, 01:11 PM
That Brian Lake doesn't have any personality. Did anyone see him knocking Kosi everytime Kosi tried to take a drink, funny stuff, even Kosi was laughing at him. Heard an interview on C. Wight on the ABC and the interviewees asked Wight about the Kosi-Lake verbal contest and Wight said Kosi was giving Lake crap about changing his name and Lake replied "shut up or i'll get Gia to knock you out again"

LMAO!!

Classic comeback. Great stuff.

alwaysadog
06-04-2008, 11:53 PM

Anyone who has talked to Brian knows he's a real character. Full backs go mad if they have no sense of humour. He might be bad but he's not mad.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Wight said Kosi was giving Lake crap about changing his name and Lake replied "shut up or i'll get Gia to knock you out again"

This is the sort of comeback I would have only dreamed of Lake saying to Kosi, and HE (supposedly) ACTUALLY SAID IT, HAHA, hilarious!