PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Cometti

ledge
05-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Well i was just reading threads and it seems Dennis is a very funny man,(apparently he played reserves at the bulldogs).
Maybe through the year we can post his new and wonderful phrases of past and present up here.
If we get a fair amount maybe we could hand it to Rodney and give him a good giggle or even send it into The footy Show for Sam to read out, i can see Sam now in tears of laughter.
Ones i can remember a little about are last nights, "bulldogs purring" and he even used a "Hahn beer" comment in another game.

westdog54
05-04-2008, 12:58 PM
His best ever work:

Gerald Healy makes a remark about a certain player being the player you want kicking at goal if your life depended on it.

Dennis: "I'd prefer my Mum."

[silence]

"Not a great footballer but at least she'd care".

Crizza
05-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Dennis had a funny call last night when Wight kicked it out on the full, and Dennis said;
'Kicked like My wife, she'd be in bed by now'

Can't remember which other 7 caller then reminded him about daylight savings, and that she may be watching.

The Coon Dog
05-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Tony Liberatore once burrowed into a pack & got battered. Dennis said "Liberatore went into that optimistically & came out mistioptically."

ledge
05-04-2008, 01:07 PM
mistioptically? now thats a Cometti-ism, has Dennis ever been drug tested and should comentators be tested? I think he is the perfect example of finding out just how much he takes and giving the same amount to all other comentators.
I love the man. in fact he is THE MAN

westdog54
05-04-2008, 01:08 PM
The camera panned to Peter Rhode as we were about to chalk up a rare win under his coaching.

"There's Peter Rhode. I'm sure if he had a tail he'd be wagging it."

ledge
05-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Crizza that is brilliant.

ledge
05-04-2008, 01:41 PM
A St Kilda player kicked in a rush and Addison was there to mark, comment.... a bit of a catch 22 there for the saints player.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Well i was just reading threads and it seems Dennis is a very funny man,(apparently he played reserves at the bulldogs).
Maybe through the year we can post his new and wonderful phrases of past and present up here.
If we get a fair amount maybe we could hand it to Rodney and give him a good giggle or even send it into The footy Show for Sam to read out, i can see Sam now in tears of laughter.
Ones i can remember a little about are last nights, "bulldogs purring" and he even used a "Hahn beer" comment in another game.

That was against Melbourne last week - he brought Miller and Hahn in and suggested they'll be having a beer together after the game or something like that.

I read a book he had - more pictures and the one liners he's had rather than an biography type thing - and it was very entertaining. I enjoy listening to Dennis.

The Coon Dog
05-04-2008, 02:08 PM
'Scotty Cummings alone in the square, jumping up and down and waving his arms like they're playing My Sharona ...'

'Farmer may have an injury to his calf ... hmmm, a farmer with a calf problem ...'

'Spider had both his legs taken out from under him - leaving only the other six to balance on ...'

"Ball to Barker to Barlow - The Hawks are attacking alphabetically"

On Melbourne's Adam Yze: "A terrific player . . . terrible scrabble hand."

"Ling's running off the ground a little bit gingerly."

"Cousins, runs away from Carr ... not the first time we've seen that this season."

About Cameron Cloke who was timing his ruck work badly, something along the lines of: "He leaves his messages before the ‘beep’."

'Hay is bailed up on the boundary line . . .'

'Walker to Carr . . . that's a step up . . .'

'He's made a typo! - he wanted Bickley and he's got Buckley!'

"The Magpies ought to be kicking themselves right now, but with their luck, they'd probably miss."

After Darren Gaspar hits the post from 40 metres out: "Gaspar, the unfriendly post."

"Ashley McIntosh, like a good hair spray ... capable of a subtle hold."

"Ball in dispute, Lamb, now Yze the meat in the sandwich. Really Lamb should be in the sandwich."

On former Magpie, Crow and now Cat, Brenton Sanderson: "He goes much better as a mammal."

ledge
05-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Coon Dog im in fits they are awesome

1eyedog
05-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I like his little comments, but his flow style commentary is punctuated and often very monotonous. Just the same flat tone all the time. I used to like Rexy Hunt, he gets excited and brings you into the game through that excitement.

hujsh
05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
A St Kilda player kicked in a rush and Addison was there to mark, comment.... a bit of a catch 22 there for the saints player.

He used that "catch 22" a couple of times.

The only downside to Cometti's wit and humor is McEvany possibly trying to copy him.

When Hill had the ball he made some comment about how he'll be at Rocket's party. I think it has something to do with his bag of tricks. If not then it's just a weird comment.

Am I imagining this or is he trying to be funny?

Bulldog Revolution
05-04-2008, 04:18 PM
classic TCD - love the yze lamb sandwich stuff

ledge
05-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Keep them coming !

Mofra
05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Crows game:
"The umpire comes in and says hey, you, get off of Mc-Leod!"

This was back when he had a bet he could get a nominated song title into the call every week.

He is loved on RRR in Melb, apparently his wife was Bon Scott's date to his high school formal so has a tenuous link to Aussie rock royalty.

westdog54
06-04-2008, 02:02 AM
Not during a game, but he was doing a weekly radio spot in Perth a few years back, and a talkback caller asked what he thought was wrong with the Eagles. His reply was priceless:

"I think they've become too predictable. They do start every concert with 'Hotel California'".

The Underdog
06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
I like his little comments, but his flow style commentary is punctuated and often very monotonous. Just the same flat tone all the time. I used to like Rexy Hunt, he gets excited and brings you into the game through that excitement.

At least he would bring you into the game if you had a clue what was actually happening. Rex became all about Rex and not about the footy a while ago. I think he's been pulled back in a bit now, but he was out of control for a while.
I'd take Cometti any day of the week, although I have noticed him make more mistakes in the last couple of years.

Rocket Science
07-04-2008, 07:57 PM
another gem from last round...delivered late during the Tigers-Pies clash, while calling players in possession:

"Jackson...Brown...and Richmond's 'running on empty'"

Certainly a student of 70's era folk rock.

ledge
07-04-2008, 08:07 PM
that is just a speciiiiaaaallll comment

alwaysadog
07-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Slightly tangential, but I enjoyed his call on Friday; especially as his dry humour; Catch 22 etc was backed up by the other comments guys; Bucks et al who did know what was going on rather than Robert the Wall, who is always at least a ¼ behind where the game is at.

The first time for me since Alan Jeans used to provide incredible comments about what was going on, or even about to happen; we had incisive analysis, rather than disguised barracking, of what we were doing and why we were on top and stayed there.

Rexy and Wallsie please leave Bulldog games alone and let’s have more of Dennis and Friday’s support team.

ledge
07-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Like a cork in the ocean... bobbing up everywhere.

Throughandthrough
08-04-2008, 09:24 AM
My fave

Last year, Jason Gram ended up with his pants near his knees after a tackle from a Crows player

"it's a Stripper-Gram"

I have had the pleasure of sitting next to Dennis Committee on a plane twice, he is a genuinely 100% top bloke. Loves to chat footy and no arrogance at all.

He has a very soft spot for the doggies, and yes he barracks for us as much as any other team, including the two WA ones.

He also knocked his glass of red over, and it landed on my shoes, so i guess i've been blessed..

But sadly, he does carry a big folder of quotes, he was studying them up for the game the next day, all handwritten. He jotted a few more down during the flight, I wanted to look but i thought that would be stretching things..

I asked him if the Gram one was pre-thought of, and he admitted that Gram had been playing footy for quite a few years...

LostDoggy
08-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Here's one for Dennis:

Ha(rgrave) to Ha(rbrow) to Ha(hn)- the Dogs are attacking comically

wimberga
08-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Am i the only one here who does not enjoy listening to dennis commetti?

I find his voice very irritating, and similarly with Bruce Mcavaney shouting JIMMY when Bartel gets the ball and CLEVER when someone kicks the ball to another player.

Brian Taylor, Gerard Healey, even Wallsy a bit. those are the commentators for mine

brilliantgriffen
08-04-2008, 01:23 PM
My favourite Dennis Commetti quote was about Brad Johnson last year (I think against collingwood) and he said something along the lines of "If Brad Johnson went for a motorcycle ride, without a helmet on, he'd get insects all over his teeth". I definitely enjoy his commentry.

Sockeye Salmon
08-04-2008, 02:22 PM

I find his voice very irritating, and similarly with Bruce Mcavaney shouting JIMMY when Bartel gets the ball and CLEVER when someone kicks the ball to another player.

Brian Taylor, Gerard Healey, even Wallsy a bit. those are the commentators for mine

Yep, you probably are.

Bruce is an annoying twat and there is no question Dennis has dropped off the pace a little since he's been working with Bruce, but Dennis is still the best.

Taylor is good, Mike Williamson and The Captain and the Major are my other faves.

Can't stand Rex Hunt.

ledge
08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Bring back Mike Williaimson and Harry Bietzel

The Bulldogs Bite
08-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Cometti is a very good commentator, but at times he probably stretches the humour a little too much and it's this reason why I probably wouldn't like to hear him commentate a Grand Final. In his earlier days he was much better IMO. These days, he's more 'relaxed' and seemingly more focused on cracking a few jokes. Not that there's anything wrong with that, he's very witty and hits the spot every time, but sometimes a game - particularly a close one - deserves more serious attention to it.

When he actually focuses on the game, Cometti is a lot better.

My favourite commentator hands down would be Anthony Hudson, and it's no wonder he's be given the last few Grand Finals. He's completely unbiased and is exciting to listen to, his commentary ebbs & flows according to the pattern of the game. When it requires a little more enthusiasm, he delivers. When it's more strategic, he's calmer. He's got the balance right and his efforts on Grand Final day are to be recognised, and he comes up with some fitting quotes himself at the right time. The match he called in 2005? when Geelong lost to Sydney in the finals was brilliant.

ledge
08-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey i want more quotes, funny ones, dont care from which comentator , Jack Dyer was hilarious.

Bulldog Revolution
08-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Who was the old guy who used to report from the rooms with Harry Bietzel and the gang?

Was it Tommy? what was his last name

GVGjr
08-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Who was the old guy who used to report from the rooms with Harry Bietzel and the gang?

Lahif. Tommy was the best.

LostDoggy
08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I loved the way Cometti used to say Malaxos

1eyedog
08-04-2008, 06:12 PM

No you are not see my earlier post.

hujsh
08-04-2008, 06:49 PM
My favourite commentator hands down would be Anthony Hudson, and it's no wonder he's be given the last few Grand Finals. He's completely unbiased and is exciting to listen to, his commentary ebbs & flows according to the pattern of the game. When it requires a little more enthusiasm, he delivers. When it's more strategic, he's calmer. He's got the balance right and his efforts on Grand Final day are to be recognised, and he comes up with some fitting quotes himself at the right time. The match he called in 2005? when Geelong lost to Sydney in the finals was brilliant.

His performance in the semi final between Geelong and Sydney in 05 was an absolute credit to him. So devastating for him but he was still sounded very excited.

westdog54
08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Hey i want more quotes, funny ones, dont care from which comentator , Jack Dyer was hilarious.

One of my favourite Jack Dyer ones:

"Flanagan's trying to use some pace he hasn't got"

A Dennis classic, describing a player who never stops working:

"He's like a bricklayer who gets paid by the row"

BulldogBelle
09-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Its no secret that Denis dreams his quotes up and says them when he has the opportunity.

I love his commentary.

I have a football program where he played for Footscray in a practice match in Perth. He played alongside E J Whitten and co. Yes, he played in the same team as EJ.

I can't see where he played for the Footscray Reserves though.

If anybody has a Football Record that shows that he played in the reserves in Melbourne I'd like a copy of the team list.

Bulldog Revolution
09-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Tommy was very good

So who else was part of that crew GVGjr?

And were they doing our games when we were at Princes Park (97/98/99)?

GVGjr
09-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Tommy was very good

So who else was part of that crew GVGjr?

And were they doing our games when we were at Princes Park (97/98/99)?

I can't remember if the 3WRB team were still with us in those years but when we played at the WO, it was the big H, Tommy, Rachel Stevens, Raymond Van Wert (sp). I think Ian Major filled in from time to time as well. The big H also ran a Sunday morning show as well.

I could listen to Tommy speak for hours and he was a very interesting character and a gentleman. Good cricketer in his day to.

I must have heard the story about Tommy being locked in the rooms after the game more than 20 times.

LostDoggy
09-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Cant stand Cometti's contirived lines. Give me Gerard Whateley any day

alwaysadog
09-04-2008, 10:50 AM

"Can You hear me, Harry?"

ledge
09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Can we have some of Jacks quotes now... eg good ordinary player

GVGjr
09-04-2008, 12:51 PM
"Can You hear me, Harry?"

I remember having a long chat to Tommy at the Can Bar and he loved having another go at it for the Dogs with Harry and the team.
It was Peter Gordon's idea to have a local station call our games. Harry used to tell the story that he bumped into Peter who immediately let out a "The Big H you're just them man I wanted to see". I think it only took a few minutes before the deal was done. Peter Gordon could be very persuasive. :)

ledge
09-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Was a shame because in the end Tommy was well past it and really struggling, but Doug Hawkins loved him immensely from what i remember.

camwoof
09-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I think the foxtel boys can commentate a game really well. I thought with Grybas gone this year that it may not be as good but it doesnt appear to be the case so far. I am not sure how Malcolm Blight gets a gig though. About as exciting as a trip to the dentist

westdog54
09-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Gerard Whateley isn't fit to tie Dennis Cometti's shoelaces.

ledge
09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Gerard Whateley isn't fit to tie Dennis Cometti's shoelaces.

Has he got bad hamstrings?

The Bulldogs Bite
09-04-2008, 04:48 PM
I think the foxtel boys can commentate a game really well. I thought with Grybas gone this year that it may not be as good but it doesnt appear to be the case so far. I am not sure how Malcolm Blight gets a gig though. About as exciting as a trip to the dentist

I prefer Blight to Walls, because even though Blight acts stupid at times he can offer some interesting insight - so long as he doesn't rave about it for the next half hour. Being a fine goal kicker himself I've heard some decent advice on how to train yourself to kick goals, especially in this day and age where goals are missed regularly. He's made some observations about defensive punches and where they generally land as opposed to where a lot of players run.

Granted, Blight can rave on about some silly things but he's not too bad. He's better value than Walls at least.

Walls states the obvious twenty minutes late.

bornadog
09-04-2008, 05:25 PM

I am with you, can't stand the commentary. Do enjoy all the little comments that people have poicked up in this thread, but overall, the commenatry on Channel 7 is soooooo boring.

bornadog
09-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Jerry, something we agree on.

LostDoggy
09-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I prefer Blight to Walls, because even though Blight acts stupid at times he can offer some interesting insight - so long as he doesn't rave about it for the next half hour. Being a fine goal kicker himself I've heard some decent advice on how to train yourself to kick goals, especially in this day and age where goals are missed regularly. He's made some observations about defensive punches and where they generally land as opposed to where a lot of players run.

Granted, Blight can rave on about some silly things but he's not too bad. He's better value than Walls at least.

Walls states the obvious twenty minutes late.

I agree, Blight is much better than Walls, but I think Hudson is the best commentator going around. Dennis has some classics, but I get so frustrated at channel 7 when they don't focus on the game and talk about whatever they please- their job is to call the game, nobody cares about the rest.

Rocket Science
09-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Jerry, something we agree on.

+1

Dennis is entertaining, even if his schtick seems a little tired at times, but Whateley is a modern day doyen.

LostDoggy
09-04-2008, 08:39 PM
That was against Melbourne last week - he brought Miller and Hahn in and suggested they'll be having a beer together after the game or something like that.

That was Tim Lane, who's the lesser for not having played for Footscray seconds.

The Underdog
09-04-2008, 09:09 PM
+1

Dennis is entertaining, even if his schtick seems a little tired at times, but Whateley is a modern day doyen.

Add me to the list. Whateley is the man

The Coon Dog
09-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Add me to the list. Whateley is the man

Anyone recall the cross he did for Channel 10 when Telstra Dome was being built & part of the way through his live cross the security guard frog marched him from the premises on live TV?

alwaysadog
10-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Anyone recall the cross he did for Channel 10 when Telstra Dome was being built & part of the way through his live cross the security guard frog marched him from the premises on live TV?

No, but apart from the unintended humour, it might be an historical moment, the first time that the fascist management style of the place was evident. But that's the subject of another yet to be developed thread.

gohardorgohome
10-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Tony Liberatore once burrowed into a pack & got battered. Dennis said "Liberatore went into that optimistically & came out mistioptically."

My all time favourite.

Next one is when he says it is "a Rock Hudson kick. One that looks straight but it isnt.".

gohardorgohome
10-04-2008, 08:13 AM

"are you theeeeeeere Harry????"

camwoof
10-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Robert Walls could hardly be called a football commentator but a football whinger.

ledge
10-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey all i wanted was more of Dennis and his one liners, now im getting Robert Walls, isnt that the complete opposite?
Would even settle for some Dyerisms.... if you dont mind umpire!.....

westdog54
15-04-2008, 02:13 PM
He had a few beauties on Friday night. This one was the pick of the bunch. Brian Lake was arguing with the umpire "How could I be holding if my arms are up?"

The replay shows, predictably enough, Brian all over his opponent.

Dennis' thoughts: "And you wonder why those 'identikit' pictures are so wrong."

I reckon he's got a thousand lines saved up for when players swear on camera.

An Essendon player yelled the F-Bomb on camera, Dennis: "That's Australian for 'No'".

bornadog
15-04-2008, 02:21 PM
He had a few beauties on Friday night. This one was the pick of the bunch. Brian Lake was arguing with the umpire "How could I be holding if my arms are up?"

The replay shows, predictably enough, Brian all over his opponent.

Dennis' thoughts: "And you wonder why those 'identikit' pictures are so wrong."

I reckon he's got a thousand lines saved up for when players swear on camera.

An Essendon player yelled the F-Bomb on camera, Dennis: "That's Australian for 'No'".

When Johnno tried to spoil Hille:

That was big Hill he had to climb

westdog54
15-04-2008, 06:19 PM
When Johnno tried to spoil Hille:

That was big Hill he had to climb

I'm sure he's been sitting on that one for years;)

BulldogBelle
15-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Dyer on Justin Madden [?]....."His arms were hanging down like giant testicles".

ledge
15-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Dyer on Justin Madden [?]....."His arms were hanging down like giant testicles".

Hey Fossie32,
That is just hilarious , i dont know if its just me but i tend to picture things, makes life so much funnier, maybe i have an overworked imagination, but their must be others on this site who find that hysterical.

westdog54
16-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Another 'F-bomb line':

"Not often you see that, players quoting Shakespeare. I'm sure he said 'Puck'".

BulldogBelle
16-04-2008, 08:15 AM
"Retaliate first"
- Jack Dyer, instructing his players during a final series

"I only have two words for you men - believe in yourselves"

"If you are not in bed by 12 o'clock, go home"

"Tell him he is John Coleman and send him back on"
- Jack Dyer, when told by medical staff that a concussed player 'did not know who he is'

Like the last one.

Desipura
16-04-2008, 12:01 PM
I like the one where St Kilda coach at the time who instructed his players at training to do push ups when they got home during the commercial breaks while watching tv.

The following day he asked everyone whether they did as they were told. Wow Jones put his hand up and replied "no I did not".
The coach asked why.........Wow replied there are no commercials on ABC

westdog54
16-04-2008, 12:43 PM
ATM I'm flipping through Dennis' second book, "That's Ambitious", just looking for a gem or two.

This one's a killer, which came out the week after Lloyd kicked six goals in the first quarter against Sydney.

"LLoyd kicked six goals before quarter time at the Coventry End last week. Gaspar and Gehrig are there now. It must be unsettling for Gaspar, there's probably a chalk outline of Leo Barry in the goal square."

westdog54
20-04-2008, 02:06 PM
A cracker on radio yesterday.

Paul Chapman has a goal disallowed in the first quarter due to an infringement.

Dennis pipes in with "I guess fortune doesn't favour the bald".

BulldogBelle
22-04-2008, 12:45 AM
In our game he came out with something like 'Boyd takes flight'. Not sure if that was intentional.......

hujsh
26-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Something along the lines of

"kicks it, not 15 (marked by Gamble not 15m so play on)...Ryan Gamble is 15, not to be confused"

MikeSheahan
26-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Dennis Cometti, several years ago, Fremantle v Port, Josh Carr wearing 9 for Port, crunches his brother Matthew, wearing 9 for Freo.
"How's that, a two Carr collision, both with the same rego!"

westdog54
27-04-2008, 01:16 AM

"kicks it, not 15 (marked by Gamble not 15m so play on)...Ryan Gamble is 15, not to be confused"

Spotted that one too. Might've been improvised, that one.

Came out with the "Australian for 'No'" line again also.

Topdog
27-04-2008, 08:24 AM

yeah I heard that one during the game. made me chuckle.

Then Bruce ruined it by trying to be funny.

BulldogBelle
27-04-2008, 08:41 PM
He used that "catch 22" a couple of times.

The only downside to Cometti's wit and humor is McEvany possibly trying to copy him.

When Hill had the ball he made some comment about how he'll be at Rocket's party. I think it has something to do with his bag of tricks. If not then it's just a weird comment.

Am I imagining this or is he trying to be funny?

That wasn't a great attempt by Bruce but it ended up being pretty funny as there was a little dead air and Dennis said "Yes.....??? Wasn't sure where you were going with that!"
:p

hujsh
01-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Watch for if Judd gets a Cox tap or handballs to Kerr accidentally ect. Surely he would have a line about having seen it before

ledge
03-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Last nights quip... something along the lines of the crowd is so vocal, everytime Judd turns around he must think its Heather Mills tagging him.

hujsh
30-05-2008, 09:13 PM
(Reimers wearing orange boots handballs off)

"...and Reimers has found another use for the cones, he's wearing them"

ledge
30-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Thats a pearler Hujsh, love it.

hujsh
30-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Thats a pearler Hujsh, love it.

Stood out as the best joke about his boots yet

ledge
01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
This one was a nice one talking about a certain play when a player seemed to know whats going to happen....... he reads better than tolstoy!

ledge
01-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Poor young Westhoff, Dwayne Russell.... Napoleon Dynamite loolalike, hope his teammates dont listen to that call.

LostDoggy
01-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Great comments, plenty of laughs there.

I heard prob the worst comment from Dwayne Russell today during the Port/Freo game..

Went something along the lines of 'farmer needed some beyonce..to the left to the left but couldnt quite get it'

Thought id mention it in here to show how bad some commentators are compared to the big DEN

BulldogBelle
04-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Robert Walls when Essendon were leading Adelaide -

"Look at all the Adelaide supporters - they've got heads on them like mice and they're all shaking them!"

LostDoggy
04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Great comments, plenty of laughs there.

I heard prob the worst comment from Dwayne Russell today during the Port/Freo game..

Went something along the lines of 'farmer needed some beyonce..to the left to the left but couldnt quite get it'

Thought id mention it in here to show how bad some commentators are compared to the big DEN

Ohh, I think that's hilarious in a really lame and sad sort of way.

GetDimmaBack
07-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Anyone remember Dennis' "girt by Shaws" line?
Spur of the moment comment, definitely not contrived.

LostDoggy
07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Ohh, I think that's hilarious in a really lame and sad sort of way.

It's just sad because you know he's thought of it earlier.

LostDoggy
07-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Anyone remember Dennis' "girt by Shaws" line?
Spur of the moment comment, definitely not contrived.

Contrived. He admits all his lines are contrived. He just has to wait for the right moment

westdog54
09-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Contrived. He admits all his lines are contrived. He just has to wait for the right moment

Part of football commentary nowadays is to entertain, and Dennis does it better than any other.

hujsh
09-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Gia kicks great goal after Cometti mentioned how smoothly he moves earlier

"I said he was smooth, he's half man half cappuccino"

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Gia kicks great goal after Cometti mentioned how smoothly he moves earlier

"I said he was smooth, he's half man half cappucino"

That's golden.

He comes up with some incredible quotes.

hujsh
09-06-2008, 10:51 PM
What i like about the cappuccino line is that it's probably spontaneous.

westdog54
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM
What i like about the cappuccino line is that it's probably spontaneous.

Probably not.

Still piss funny though

bornadog
10-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I like the way he used cork in the ocean when the umpire that fell and rolled straight up.

craigsahibee
14-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Eagles defender Darren Glass crashes into the goal post. Cometti "Glass is in pain"

LostDoggy
14-06-2008, 11:06 AM
I loved one of Comettis lines last night..

"We saw 2mins 7 seconds taken away from the coll/melb game last week...2mins 7secs was also the length of Yesterday by The Beatles'

Totally random, yet totally funny :)

hujsh
14-06-2008, 07:24 PM
There was a good one but i forgot it. Did mention something about a sockeye salmon though.

The Coon Dog
01-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Had a chuckle tonight. Alan Toovey for Coillingwwod was between the wing & half forward & grabbed the ball quickly throwing it onto his left foot aiming towards centre half forward. It came off on an unusual angle & went towards the centre of the ground.

'A square cut' said Dennis, 'it went behind point'.

ledge
01-08-2008, 11:18 PM
If it was stats and he seriously got them off this site its you Coon who he would have got them from.

cinder
02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Apologies if someone already put this one up ...

"He's an absolute leather magnet. And for those who think there's no such thing, spare a thought for my wife and my wallet!'

Seriously don't know where he comes up with them ...

ledge
26-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Welsh, has been a Kangaroo,a Crow and now a Bulldog..good partner for Ace Ventura

The Underdog
26-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Quarter time of St.Kilda-Crows, he described St.Kilda's first quarter as having "sucked like a $500 vacuum cleaner".
Also on Friday night with the score at 20-20 someone mentioned good vision. Dennis piped up with "you'd expect good vision with the score at 20-20".

ledge
29-03-2009, 05:47 PM
New season and time for some more Commettiisms, Motlop doing a bit of fancy footwork... shades of Berlin 1939!

ledge
13-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Well its 7 rounds in, thought i would fire this up for any newbies heard lately.

LostDoggy
20-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Another classic on Friday night when Harbrow made a complete meal of a ball kicked to him in the backline before finally recovering and getting hold of it, to which Dennis commented:

Harbrow, determined to impress the Russian judge...........

azabob
21-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Another classic on Friday night when Harbrow made a complete meal of a ball kicked to him in the backline before finally recovering and getting hold of it, to which Dennis commented:

Harbrow, determined to impress the Russian judge...........

Don't forget Harbrow actually fell over from memory as well.

Throughandthrough
21-07-2009, 07:44 PM
LOVE the Dennis Committee, but sadly i think they all (most) are scripted.

Have had the extreme pleasure to briefly meet him twice (sitting next to him on a plane to/from Perth) and he is a genuinely 100% top bloke, and more then happy to listen to a stalker (typo) fan bang in his ear for a few hours.

He spent half the trip looking at a big manilla folder of funny one liners relating to the games he was calling that weekend. I had heard him a few years before, when Jason Gram got his pants ripped off "it's a stripper gram" whether that was made up on the spot. His reply...."Gram has been playing for a few years"

I think the music died for me a little bit when he said that :(

But yes, love friday night footy mainly because he commentates.

AndrewP6
21-07-2009, 11:51 PM
LOVE the Dennis Committee, but sadly i think they all (most) are scripted.

. His reply...."Gram has been playing for a few years"

I think the music died for me a little bit when he said that :(

I still think he's funny... I once heard John Cleese (one of my all-time faves) say how he finds it difficult when random people ask him to "say something funny", when much of his most famous work (Monty Python, Fawlty Towers) is meticulously planned and thought out.

Hot_Doggies
22-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Had a clanger in the Rich vs Roos game, with "the two young tyro's go at it".

Max469
23-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Top bloke is Dennis Cometti.

Just like us all he has brain fades - yesterday he turned up at the "G" to call the Carlton game that was being played at "Etihad".

After a quick taxi ride, I am sure he got there in time.

He was laughing at himself about it while I called the taxi for him.

He thought there were not many people at the game and wondered why. :rolleyes:

BulldogBelle
23-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Nice one, I think they were saying yesterday Anthony Hudson went to the wrong ground too. ts a bugger when you have to get out of the car park in all the traffic :o

A couple of weeks ago in the Carlton match he said Carlton 'kick to the fat side of the ground' and it went to Nick Stevens hehe

bornadog
23-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I forgot to post this one when Stack made his debut versus Richmond.

Stack falls down and players fall over him and Commetti says instantly- Stacks on the mill:D

Throughandthrough
08-10-2009, 08:27 AM
on 3AW after the stats guru (Bond?) gave an amazing collection of stats before this years Grand Final.

"The Western Bulldogs have won the Grand Final every year Adam Ant has been born"

The Coon Dog
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
on 3AW after the stats guru (Bond?) gave an amazing collection of stats before this years Grand Final.

"The Western Bulldogs have won the Grand Final every year Adam Ant has been born"
OK, the next WOOFER that has a baby is hereby decreed to call him or her Adam Ant!

The Underdog
08-10-2009, 09:54 AM
OK, the next WOOFER that has a baby is hereby decreed to call him or her Adam Ant!

There's no way I'm getting that past the wife. Hopefully someone else is up before Feb.:D

Sedat
08-10-2009, 10:00 AM
There's no way I'm getting that past the wife. Hopefully someone else is up before Feb.:D
Don't be such a 'Goody Two-Shoes' :D

ledge
08-10-2009, 06:03 PM
If its a boy, prince charming?

mighty_west
08-10-2009, 06:07 PM
As long as she doesn't have to Stand AND Deliver!

Throughandthrough
08-10-2009, 08:27 PM

Agreed. Otherwise its that's parents sole fault if we don't win the flag next season.

Throughandthrough
08-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Actually i've done some more research.

This gives the expectant parents more choice.

According to the interweb, the top 10 famous people that the Bulldogs have ALLWAYS won a flag in the same year they were born are:

10. Yanni: Nov. 14
9. Oprah Winfrey: Jan. 29
8. Michael Bolton: Feb. 26
7. John Travolta: Feb. 18
6. James Cameron: Aug. 16
5. Jackie Chan: April 7
4. Condoleezza Rice: Nov. 14
3. Ang Lee: Oct. 23
2. David Lee Roth: Oct. 10
1. Al Roker: Aug. 20 (a Fat American Weatherman)

Adam Ant was born 3 November.

David Lee Roth was born the closest to the GF, so T think it's reasonable if the next bub is called David, Lee, Roth, Van or Halen.

AndrewP6
08-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Actually i've done some more research.

This gives the expectant parents more choice.

According to the interweb, the top 10 famous people that the Bulldogs have ALLWAYS won a flag in the same year they were born are:

10. Yanni: Nov. 14
9. Oprah Winfrey: Jan. 29
8. Michael Bolton: Feb. 26
7. John Travolta: Feb. 18
6. James Cameron: Aug. 16
5. Jackie Chan: April 7
4. Condoleezza Rice: Nov. 14
3. Ang Lee: Oct. 23
2. David Lee Roth: Oct. 10
1. Al Roker: Aug. 20 (a Fat American Weatherman)

Adam Ant was born 3 November.

David Lee Roth was born the closest to the GF, so T think it's reasonable if the next bub is called David, Lee, Roth, Van or Halen.

God help any poor child whose parents don't read the list closely enough, and who gets saddled with the name "Condoleeza"... though another "Al Roker" might be funny!

Desipura
20-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Here are some more quotes from Dennis:

'Scotty Cummings alone in the square, jumping up and down and waving his arms like they're playing My Sharona ..'

'Farmer may have an injury to his calf ... hmmm, a farmer with a calf problem ...'

'Spider had both his legs taken out from under him - leaving only the other six to balance on ...'

On Melbourne's Adem Yze: "A terrific player . . . terrible scrabble hand."

"Ling's running off the ground a little bit gingerly."

"Cousins, runs away from Carr ... not the first time we've seen that this season."

About Cameron Cloke who was timing his ruck work badly, something along the lines of: "He leaves his messages before the beep."

'Hay is bailed up on the boundary line . ... .'

'Walker to Carr . . . that's a step up . . .'

'He's made a typo! - he wanted Bickley and he's got Buckley!'

"The Magpies ought to be kicking themselves right now, but with their luck, they'd probably miss."

After Darren Gaspar hits the post from 40 metres out: "Gaspar, the unfriendly post."

"Ashley McIntosh, like a good hair spray ... capable of a subtle hold."

"Ball in dispute, Lamb, now Yze the meat in the sandwich. Really Lamb should be in the sandwich."

On former Magpie, Crow and now Cat, Brenton Sanderson: "He goes much better as a mammal."

Dennis Cometti, several years ago, Fremantle v Port, Josh Carr wearing 9 for Port, crunches his brother Matthew, wearing 9 for Freo.
"How's that, a two Carr collision, both with the same rego!"

Daniel Metropolis playing for the Eagles was gang tackled by 3 opposition players. "Now there's a city under siege"

A few weeks ago Collingwood were 40+ points up against the Dogs. The camera focuses on David Smorgon, the Bulldogs president who is looking despondent. "Now there's a glum dog millionaire."

Scraggers
20-08-2010, 04:37 PM
I heard one on the weekend ... he was talking about the Collingwood and Richmond ruckmen running around like lumbering dinosaurs ... he called them Tyrannosaurs Rucks

LostDoggy
20-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Always cracks me up good ol' Dennis! :)
In reference to the call about Gasper hitting the post, would anyone think that he made that call on the spot, or make it up beforehand in the off chance that it would happen?

Jasper
20-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Here are some more quotes from Dennis:

A few weeks ago Collingwood were 40+ points up against the Dogs. The camera focuses on David Smorgon, the Bulldogs president who is looking despondent. "Now there's a glum dog millionaire."

From memory it was a Stunned Dog Millionaire.
Dennis spoke to Ross & John on 3AW earlier this year and admitted to planning most of these in the lead up to games.
Loses the mystery a fraction.

Throughandthrough
20-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Always cracks me up good ol' Dennis! :)
In reference to the call about Gasper hitting the post, would anyone think that he made that call on the spot, or make it up beforehand in the off chance that it would happen?

He carries around a big folder full of potential quotes, studies them before the game.

LostDoggy
20-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Regardless if he plans them or comes up with them on the spot. They are still great to hear

Throughandthrough
20-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Regardless if he plans them or comes up with them on the spot. They are still great to hear

agreed 100%.

Scraggers
20-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Did anyone hear during the Eagles v Bombers game with Nic Natanui and Paddy Ryder in the ruck ... Nic Nat Paddy Whack ... Funny stuff :D

AndrewP6
20-08-2010, 09:08 PM

Agreed...

I still think he's funny... I once heard John Cleese (one of my all-time faves) say how he finds it difficult when random people ask him to "say something funny", when much of his most famous work (Monty Python, Fawlty Towers) is meticulously planned and thought out.

ledge
24-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Thought I would give this a bump after hearing Dennis and his Cheesie comments on our own Ed Barlow, any new ones come to mind?

The Underdog
24-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Thought he actually had a particularly poor call last Friday night. Made numerous mistakes. I love Dennis but he's almost certainly past his peak. Still rather listen to him than pretty much every other play by play commentator aside from Gerard Whateley (the King).

bulldogsfight
24-06-2011, 03:48 PM
A crows player turns it over and DEnnis says " and that how Schmidt happens"

always right
24-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Still love him.

wimberga
26-06-2011, 02:01 AM
Cannot go past BT

Puts real excitement into the game rather than Commetti's crappy wordplay

ledge
26-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Cannot go past BT

Puts real excitement into the game rather than Commetti's crappy wordplay

Sorry mate this isnt a post on favourite commentators or excitement into the game, this is just on Dennis funny quotes.
Whether you like him or not in my opinion he lets out some pearlers at times.

I think there is another thread on favourite commentators :D

ledge
02-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I thought the Rooney Cooney one was another good one

JohnGentStand
02-07-2011, 05:09 PM
old favourite..
Liberatore, goes in optomistically,.....comes out misty optically

wimberga
02-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Sorry I mentioned a good commentator in this thread.

If you dont like crappy word play, your not going to like Commetti, which I do noy.

Is this a more appropriate post?

The Underdog
02-07-2011, 11:49 PM

If you dont like crappy word play, your not going to like Commetti, which I do noy.

No. And don't knock crappy word play, it shits all over blokey "humour".

wimberga
03-07-2011, 01:53 AM
No. And don't knock crappy word play, it shits all over blokey "humour".

Football without blokey humour....hmmmm

The Underdog
03-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Football without blokey humour....hmmmm

Yeah sounds impossible, but I like to dream of better world's

wimberga
03-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Keep dreaming :)

immortalmike
04-07-2011, 02:01 AM

Really? I thought you mentioned BT?

wimberga
04-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Really? I thought you mentioned BT?

Shhh! we cant talk about anyone bar dennis commetti here!

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I love Cometti's witty one liners.
He went up an astronomical level on Friday night at half time.
Nick Riewoldt was special guest and while leading him in Cometti said something like.........
"This game is moving from end to end, it's exciting and energetic, no body is clogging up the play and It's far from boring. It's safe to say Nick, this isn't a Saints game!"

Throughandthrough
04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I thought the Rooney Cooney one was another good one

Indeed, I laughed.

PS (and this is at least the third or seventeenth time) I am extremely lucky enough to have met DC a few times, and don't be surprised if all these things are pre-planned.

He carries a big folder (all hand written) of funny quotes that may apply to the right moment/player.

I asked him about when Jason Gram had his dacks pulled off "its a stripper gram" that SURELY that wasn't pre-written

"He has been playing footy a long time"

PS I think he is easily the best footy commentator by 1000%. Will happily watch a boring game if he is commentating.

Worth whatever 7 pays him

Maddog37
04-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Love Dennis but he is making more mistakes year by year which really annoys me. Eg, Grant in good form at willy last week kicking six. Little things but annoying IMO.

I think he is getting a touch bored with it all.

ledge
05-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I love Cometti's witty one liners.
He went up an astronomical level on Friday night at half time.
Nick Riewoldt was special guest and while leading him in Cometti said something like.........
"This game is moving from end to end, it's exciting and energetic, no body is clogging up the play and It's far from boring. It's safe to say Nick, this isn't a Saints game!"

Ha ha thats gold, not dodging the obvious as a lot do.

bornadog
05-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't like Dennis.

ledge
05-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Im sure plenty do bornadog, but i actually made the post in regards to his wit, he must have let go a couple you find funny,wasnt intended to be a whos a better commentator or if he is good, in fact he is probably regarded as the worst by some.
I just found over the years he has softened the seriousness of games and bought some humour into it with his wit and I was after his one liners I would have missed.
Most are quite clever some are rubbish and he tends to bring them out at the right time even if he does have them pre thought of.
Maybe he is a terrible commentator its just nice to have a giggle after all its just a game.:)

bornadog
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Im sure plenty do bornadog, but i actually made the post in regards to his wit, he must have let go a couple you find funny,wasnt intended to be a whos a better commentator or if he is good, in fact he is probably regarded as the worst by some.
I just found over the years he has softened the seriousness of games and bought some humour into it with his wit and I was after his one liners I would have missed.
Most are quite clever some are rubbish and he tends to bring them out at the right time even if he does have them pre thought of.
Maybe he is a terrible commentator its just nice to have a giggle after all its just a game.:)

Yes thats true Ledge. I did like when he said Cooney did a Rooney after the soccer goal. That one you can't practise.

ledge
16-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Brilliant one last night, cant remember exact remark but it was along the lines of Shaw
not taking Betts today.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Brilliant one last night, cant remember exact remark but it was along the lines of Shaw
not taking Betts today.

it's currently doing the rounds on Facebook, or at least a version of it.

"Collingwood have some matchup problems, as Shaw usually takes Betts"
:D

ledge
17-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Watching the 2009 NAB GF, on Geelong, a bit like listening to a Bob Dylan song "you knew it was impressive you just didnt know what it meant".

westdog54
18-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Watching the 2009 NAB GF, on Geelong, a bit like listening to a Bob Dylan song "you knew it was impressive you just didnt know what it meant".

That is pure rolled gold. :D

ledge
18-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Is he still on this year?

bornadog
10-02-2016, 09:02 AM
AFL commentator Dennis Cometti to hang up the microphone at the end of 2016

story here (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-commentator-dennis-cometti-to-hang-up-the-microphone-at-the-end-of-2016-20160209-gmpwud.html)

Maybe Bruce will follow :D

ledge
10-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Sad day.. But their comes a time and he has been doing it a long time.

LostDoggy
10-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Dennis has been great over the journey, but the time is right. I reckon the humour has been a bit forced over the last year or so and he's looked a little jaded. If I were 7, I'd try and talk him into a Bill Lawry style cameo every now and again.

always right
10-02-2016, 09:55 AM
Love Denis.....now concerned as to who 7 replaces him with.

Sedat
10-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Denis has seen the light. Ch 7 have dragged his reputation down into the mud by turning him into a pantomime act.

In terms of replacements, knowing Ch 7 it will be BT promoted to Friday nights and Darcy promoted to head commentator on Saturday nights. Would expect nothing better from that shitstain of a network.

ledge
10-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Oh please not more Bruce !!!

The Underdog
10-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Dennis has been great over the journey, but the time is right. I reckon the humour has been a bit forced over the last year or so and he's looked a little jaded. If I were 7, I'd try and talk him into a Bill Lawry style cameo every now and again.

Yeah I agree. He hasn't been the same the past few years. It's time for him to go. Same with Bruce, BT, Luke Darcy, Hamish McLachlan, Cameron Ling, Basil....

Twodogs
10-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Denis has seen the light. Ch 7 have dragged his reputation down into the mud by turning him into a pantomime act.

In terms of replacements, knowing Ch 7 it will be BT promoted to Friday nights and Darcy promoted to head commentator on Saturday nights. Would expect nothing better from that shitstain of a network.

Completely agree. How hard is it to commentate a game and not sound like a yahoo?

Hopefully seven will take the chance to completely overhaul their commenters. But they won't.

bornadog
10-02-2016, 03:18 PM
Completely agree. How hard is it to commentate a game and not sound like a yahoo?

Hopefully seven will take the chance to completely overhaul their commenters. But they won't.

Good example is the Tennis on 7. You don't need to say much but they rabbit on about stupid things.

I was listening to the ESPN version (streaming on line) and they had two British commentators, who just spoke about the game, but didn't say alot either. Footy should be the same. The Winners on ABC in the 80s had it spot on.

Remi Moses
10-02-2016, 03:28 PM

Without Denis they resemble the channel 9 cricket team.:(

Twodogs
10-02-2016, 04:18 PM
I wonder if there would be a big enough viewership happy to watch games with no commentary at all to justify running it on 7mate or 72? I'd prefer it. I'd just turn the sound down but I like the sound of the game and hearing the umpires.

Sedat
10-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Without Denis they resemble the channel 9 cricket team.:(
Sad but true. Although I would back Ch 9 or Ch 10 to do a much, much better job of the footy than Ch 7. Nobody is perfect but the other two provided far more game-related analysis and far less incidental 'colour' (ie: mindless drivel and stupidity) when they had the footy rights.

Hotdog60
11-02-2016, 06:28 AM
Maybe they could get Peter Donegan to take his place.

Bulldog Joe
11-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Sad but true. Although I would back Ch 9 or Ch 10 to do a much, much better job of the footy than Ch 7. Nobody is perfect but the other two provided far more game-related analysis and far less incidental 'colour' (ie: mindless drivel and stupidity) when they had the footy rights.

You do seem to have a real thing about channel 7.

Personally, I see them all in much the same light and Ch 9 with the cricket highlight it. Even ABC Radio commentary has declined.

Modern commentators (in Australia anyway) seem to be intent on entertaining themselves rather than informing the viewing public.

Perhaps their surveys tell them that the majority of viewers simply like that.

I could never understand Rex Hunt being popular as a caller.

Maybe as discerning football/sports followers we are simply the minority of the viewing public.

Twodogs
12-02-2016, 01:18 AM
You do seem to have a real thing about channel 7.

Personally, I see them all in much the same light and Ch 9 with the cricket highlight it. Even ABC Radio commentary has declined.

Modern commentators (in Australia anyway) seem to be intent on entertaining themselves rather than informing the viewing public.

Perhaps their surveys tell them that the majority of viewers simply like that.

I could never understand Rex Hunt being popular as a caller.

Maybe as discerning football/sports followers we are simply the minority of the viewing public.

Completely agree especially about Rex Hunt.

Ghost Dog
12-02-2016, 01:34 AM
I really like Commetti. He has a soft spot for us as well. Wrote a really great article on us when we won the NAB.
Best of the bunch.

LostDoggy
12-02-2016, 07:28 AM
I really like Commetti. He has a soft spot for us as well. Wrote a really great article on us when we won the NAB.
Best of the bunch.

He was actually on our list (early 70s from memory) but was injured before he ever played a senior game.

bornadog
12-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Best of the bunch.

He was actually on our list (early 70s from memory) but was injured before he ever played a senior game.

Pretty sure he also coached the reserves.

EDIT

Just looked up his Wiki page, and doesn't mention that, but PP is right, he was on our senior list but due to injury never played.

ledge
12-02-2016, 09:34 AM
His story was he wasn't a good footballer and only played reserves so took up A job offer in radio in WA.

bornadog
12-02-2016, 09:37 AM
His story was he wasn't a good footballer and only played reserves so took up A job offer in radio in WA.

From Wiki

Cometti played 40 matches for West Perth. His best year in the WAFL was 1968 when he kicked over 60 goals playing for West Perth under Graham Farmer. In 1971 Cometti made the senior list at Footscray but due to injuries and media commitments was unable to make a mark and did not play a VFL senior match.[1][2]

On his return to Perth he played with some success in the Sunday Football League. He initially played for Wanneroo before moving to Maddington as captain-coach leading the club to four successive grand finals, winning premierships in 1974, 1975 and 1976.

After hanging up his boots he later coached Osborne Park and Kelmscott, winning a premiership in 1979.[3]
In 1982 Cometti was appointed coach of West Perth. After finishing third in his first year, his tenure at West Perth was otherwise uneventful, finishing sixth in both 1983 and 1984.[4] Other than a brief period as Chairman of Selectors for the [WA state-of-origin side], this was Cometti's last active involvement in club football.

He commenced his media career as radio announcer in Perth, Western Australia, in 1968 as a Top 40 disc jockey at radio station 6KY. Over the following five years he worked as an announcer on 6PM, 3DB in Melbourne and 6PR. He broadcast his first football match - a state game between WA and Victoria at Subiaco Oval in 1971. Melbourne station 3KZ needed a caller and Cometti volunteered. He joined the ABC in 1972 where he concentrated exclusively on sport. He broadcast his first Test match in 1973 (at 23 the youngest in ABC history) and for the next 13 years broadcast Test Cricket alongside Alan McGilvray.[5][6]

bornadog
15-02-2016, 03:56 PM
Good interview with Kerry O'Keefe and Dennis here (http://www.2gb.com/audioplayer/155491)

Mofra
16-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately true, Brian Taylor being a prime example - fine in small doses but for a whole game? Not for me.

Like Anthony Hudson though, seems to make it all about the play.

Greystache
16-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately true, Brian Taylor being a prime example - fine in small doses but for a whole game? Not for me.

Like Anthony Hudson though, seems to make it all about the play.

I don't think there's doses small enough for me to tolerate BT. Agree on Hudson, he does ramp up the histrionics to borderline levels, but it's always about the play and never himself. I quite like McGuire too for the same reason. Dennis works better when he's the slight comic relief to the straight men.

Twodogs
16-02-2016, 11:13 AM
I don't think there's doses small enough for me to tolerate BT. Agree on Hudson, he does ramp up the histrionics to borderline levels, but it's always about the play and never himself. I quite like McGuire too for the same reason. Dennis works better when he's the slight comic relief to the straight men.

Yeah I like Eddie too. He has a passion for the game and he's good at communicating it.

craigsahibee
16-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Yeah I like Eddie too. He has a passion for the game and he's good at communicating it.

Not sure about Eddie commentating. It's like he is channeling Mike Williamson from Seven's "The Big League".

When Eddie's on I half expect to follow the footy with Mike W and Mary Hardy in "The Penthouse Club" with live crosses to the Trots at the Showgrounds to see some Horse with the second name of "Adios" salute and get the chocolates.

Twodogs
16-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Not sure about Eddie commentating. It's like he is channeling Mike Williamson from Seven's "The Big League".

When Eddie's on I half expect to follow the footy with Mike W and Mary Hardy in "The Penthouse Club" with live crosses to the Trots at the Showgrounds to see some Horse with the second name of "Adios" salute and get the chocolates.

And Paleface Adios winds them down the straight.

With Vinnie Knight in the sulky. He seemed to have all the winners. Great TV, I'm not sure how it would fit in modern society though.

Bulldog4life
16-02-2016, 12:33 PM
And Paleface Adios winds them down the straight.

With Vinnie Knight in the sulky. He seemed to have all the winners. Great TV, I'm not sure how it would fit in modern society though.

Poor Vinnie died too early.

LostDoggy
16-02-2016, 12:33 PM
Jeez, I was about 5 or 6 when The Penthouse Club wound up (was great Dogs man Ernie Sigley also involved?), talk about an icon of it's time. It's funny how some callers just take you back to another era. I'm pretty weird, but Kelly Underwood always had me reminiscing about Harry Beitzel - I'm all for it.

Bulldog4life
16-02-2016, 12:39 PM
Jeez, I was about 5 or 6 when The Penthouse Club wound up (was great Dogs man Ernie Sigley also involved?), talk about an icon of it's time. It's funny how some callers just take you back to another era. I'm pretty weird, but Kelly Underwood always had me reminiscing about Harry Beitzel - I'm all for it.

Yes Ernie was a compere at one stage with Mary Hardy PP.

LostDoggy
16-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Gerard Wheatley for me.
Wonder why he dosn't call games on Fox?

LostDoggy
16-02-2016, 09:25 PM
Gerard Wheatley for me.
Wonder why he dosn't call games on Fox?

I think his loyalties are with ABC radio although he could take his pick. He's made quite the career for himself.