PDA

View Full Version : The reminicing thread.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Late last year I was seriously ill and hospitalised, and my house was packed and moved as I had just sold my house. So today i thought i'd go through some of the boxes of stuff that were just shoved where ever.

To my delight I found some old (for me being 25 is early 90's ish) stuff which i forgot i even had. For instance old footy records such as Dougie's 300th and his record breaking game. Photo's with players such as Doug and Super. A video signed by Leon Cameron, stickers books and card collections with players like Nicholson, Sexton, Reynolds & Kellett. An autograh book i thought i'd lost as a kid with many of those names plus Peter Quill.

I also found the PM edition of the Hun of the day EJ passed away urging the boys to win the premiership and the footy record of the following week. Plus my pride and joy - The first EJ Whitten Cup match with EJ holding the Big V signed by the entire team.

So i thought i'd share because i felt really happy and nostalgic about our club and brought back some great memories and some sad ones too. So the question is what do you have, what have you accidentally found and/or whats your pride and joy when you want to get nostalgic in our great club?

GVGjr
03-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Late last year I was seriously ill and hospitalised, and my house was packed and moved as I had just sold my house. So today i thought i'd go through some of the boxes of stuff that were just shoved where ever.

To my delight I found some old (for me being 25 is early 90's ish) stuff which i forgot i even had. For instance old footy records such as Dougie's 300th and his record breaking game. Photo's with players such as Doug and Super. A video signed by Leon Cameron, stickers books and card collections with players like Nicholson, Sexton, Reynolds & Kellett. An autograh book i thought i'd lost as a kid with many of those names plus Peter Quill.

I also found the PM edition of the Hun of the day EJ passed away urging the boys to win the premiership and the footy record of the following week. Plus my pride and joy - The first EJ Whitten Cup match with EJ holding the Big V signed by the entire team.

So i thought i'd share because i felt really happy and nostalgic about our club and brought back some great memories and some sad ones too. So the question is what do you have, what have you accidentally found and/or whats your pride and joy when you want to get nostalgic in our great club?

Great thread 42. A few years ago I packed away a limited addition Dougie Hawkins framed picture from his 300th game. Just recently I decided to turn the study into a Bulldog shrine and now it is proudly displayed on a wall near pictures of Whitten and team posters from various years. The Hawk was a great player and I'm kicking myself for not displaying it earlier.

bornadog
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
The other day when I was replying to the thread on 1985, I was going through some old footy records to look up a photo of Lally. It was great to read some stories of some of the players from the 1980's, even thou we only had one successful year. I really enjoyed the seasons from about 1984 onwards as at the time it felt like we were on the verge of something big especially the lean years from 1977 to 1984. Going through those old footy records gave me a big buzz to remember the days standing at the Westren Oval and meeting my mates between the players race and umpires race every home game. There use to be about ten of us that would meet there every week. Sadly I have lost touch with all the guys.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Great thread 42. A few years ago I packed away a limited addition Dougie Hawkins framed picture from his 300th game. Just recently I decided to turn the study into a Bulldog shrine and now it is proudly displayed on a wall near pictures of Whitten and team posters from various years. The Hawk was a great player and I'm kicking myself for not displaying it earlier.
You just reminded that was one of my plans, GVGjr. So i went hunting and found a 1954 WEG (replica I think) Footscray winners signed by some players ijncluding personally addressed by Jack Collins and a drawing of 7 goals. And some other posters I've been meaning to have framed for years including the entire team signed 1995 year, plus 1985 and 1993 and some others. Also my grandmother (70) was given her mothers collection of Footscray memorabillia from the VFA days, being the most passionate of any children/grand children she's slowly handing it down to me whicdh is where i think the weg's from. When i can spare the few hundred for framing, i think the study will go your wya GVGjr.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 03:56 PM
The other day when I was replying to the thread on 1985, I was going through some old footy records to look up a photo of Lally. It was great to read some stories of some of the players from the 1980's, even thou we only had one successful year. I really enjoyed the seasons from about 1984 onwards as at the time it felt like we were on the verge of something big especially the lean years from 1977 to 1984. Going through those old footy records gave me a big buzz to remember the days standing at the Westren Oval and meeting my mates between the players race and umpires race very home game. There use to be about ten of us that would meet there every week. Sadly I have lost touch with all the guys.
Great memories aren't they, I got indocrinated by my grand mother and her sisters from Footscray who were the old ladies sitting on the fence yelling and knitting all game. Then developed into going with the old man, like you, meeting at the umpires race. Good times, is it sad i want them back. The big concrete structures and corporate atmosphere has nothing on what we had at the Western Oval.

p.s. - also found the finals ticket stub to Dogs Vs Adelaide 1997 Prelim Final.....

bornadog
03-02-2007, 04:20 PM
Great memories aren't they,
p.s. - also found the finals ticket stub to Dogs Vs Adelaide 1997 Prelim Final.....

Unfortunatelty I missed the 1997 prelim final, I was living in Singapore at the time. I was listening to the game through my short wave radio and still remember running to the laundry and saying to my wife, we are 30 minutes away from the grandfinal, I thought it was in the bag. Her words were, "Don't say that" I had tickets booked back to Australia for the GFinal just in case. The rest is history.

I actually missed alot of the games in the 1990's, as I was overseas for the 1992 through to 1998 season and only saw about two game every year, including some of the finals, including the thrashing by Melbourne (1995) and the two finals in 1998. Luckily my mother in law taped all the doggies games and sent them through to me, so I have most of the games from that era (when we were on the telly and it was before Foxtel), but only the games we won. At one stage Australia Televsion (Asian Sat TV) was beaming live games into asia and the dogs were on quiet a bit in 1992. Later on the games were sent through delayed by two hours, so the 1997 prelim came through late, ie not live.

The Coon Dog
03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
42-C-3, firstly I must be right in assuming that you have recovered from your illness, I certainly hope so & wish you future good healh.

I don't have a record player but have hung onto a Footscray Football Club Song record sung by the Fable Singers.

The cover is autographed byRoss Abbey, Ian Dunstan, Colin Dell, John Birt, Garry Baker, Barry Round, Alan Stoneham, Laurie Sandilands, Gary Dempsey, Gordon Casey, Steve Boyle, David Thorpe, Stephen Power, Stuart Magee & Peter Welsh.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 04:44 PM
42-C-3, firstly I must be right in assuming that you have recovered from your illness, I certainly hope so & wish you future good healh.

I don't have a record player but have hung onto a Footscray Football Club Song record sung by the Fable Singers.

The cover is autographed byRoss Abbey, Ian Dunstan, Colin Dell, John Birt, Garry Baker, Barry Round, Alan Stoneham, Laurie Sandilands, Gary Dempsey, Gordon Casey, Steve Boyle, David Thorpe, Stephen Power, Stuart Magee & Peter Welsh.
Nice work TCD.

The health is getting better. The goal was to get fit/strong enough to get ot the intraclub match on Feb 16. I hope it's all i've cracked it up to be in my head.

Twodogs
03-02-2007, 04:52 PM
The big concrete structures and corporate atmosphere has nothing on what we had at the Western Oval.

It might not be Whitten Oval but I've become quite attached to the place. It just feels like home. It's at the end of Footscray Rd, I still stand with the same guys I used to stand with at Whitten Oval-at first we all got seats in the same bay, but then took to standing behind that bay and giving it to opposition supporters, I can walk out my front door and be in my position inside 20 minutes and we play well there.

Twodogs
03-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Nice work TCD.

The health is getting better. The goal was to get fit/strong enough to get ot the intraclub match on Feb 16. I hope it's all i've cracked it up to be in my head.

What was it, if you dont mind me asking?

If you do just tell me to pull my head in.

LostDoggy
03-02-2007, 05:04 PM
The other day when I was replying to the thread on 1985, I was going through some old footy records to look up a photo of Lally. It was great to read some stories of some of the players from the 1980's, even thou we only had one successful year. I really enjoyed the seasons from about 1984 onwards as at the time it felt like we were on the verge of something big especially the lean years from 1977 to 1984. Going through those old footy records gave me a big buzz to remember the days standing at the Westren Oval and meeting my mates between the players race and umpires race every home game. There use to be about ten of us that would meet there every week. Sadly I have lost touch with all the guys.
Its a lot of fun digging through some old footy records. Like you it's brings a smile to my dial when I eventually see or read something that I forgot about.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 05:18 PM
What was it, if you dont mind me asking?

If you do just tell me to pull my head in.
Nah, not at all. It was something called Toxic Megacolon.

In short, my immune system had started attacking my large entestine which led to it becoming toxic and diseased and nearly perforated. If it perforates, you're as good as dead.

It's Very rare, very savage, with very big emergency surgery and long recovery. But i'm back up now 4 months later.

Twodogs
03-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Nah, not at all. It was something called Toxic Megacolon.

In short, my immune system started attacking my large entestine which led to it becoming toxic and diseased and nearly perforated. If it perforates, you're dead.

It's Very rare, very savage, with very big emergency surgery and long recovery. But i'm back up now 4 months later.

Sounds nasty. So you're body just kind of turned against itself?

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Sounds nasty. So you're body just kind of turned against itself?

Pretty much. In a last ditch effort to avoid surgery they suppressed my immune system with some fancy drugs, but didn't work. Thankfully the surgeons didn't elaborate too much at the time about what was happening, but after wards they said i had 12 hours to live. They removed the large entestine so i should be right now, just hope they're right.

Twodogs
03-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Pretty much. In a last ditch effort to avoid surgery they suppressed my immune system with some fancy drugs, but didn't work. Thankfully the surgeons didn't elaborate too much at the time about what was happening, but after wards they said i had 12 hours to live. They removed the large entestine so i should be right now, just hope they're right.

Did they take the whole thing or part of it? The large intestine is, well, pretty large.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Did they take the whole thing or part of it? The large intestine is, well, pretty large.

The whole thing. It's helped me drop to my ratget weight range though....

Twodogs
03-02-2007, 05:29 PM
The whole thing. It's helped me drop to my ratget weight range though....

Hahaha. Theres an easy way to do something and a hard way.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Hahaha. Theres an easy way to do something and a hard way.

No other way i could drop 18kg in 7 days. Don't know if it was the surgery or the uncooked hospital food. Perhaps both.

The Coon Dog
03-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Obviously 42 the big fella upstairs wasn't quite ready for you, maybe he thought you had infinished business to attend to down here first.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Obviously 42 the big fella upstairs wasn't quite ready for you, maybe he thought you had infinished business to attend to down here first.
That's my thinking. Funny when i listed the things i wanted before i meet the spirit in the sky (i like that song) was to see a Bulldogs Premiership. Funny at times i say relax it's just a game, but at the crunch, the game and our club obviously more than that.

The Coon Dog
03-02-2007, 05:53 PM
That's my thinking. Funny when i listed the things i wanted before i meet the spirit in the sky (i like that song) was to see a Bulldogs Premiership. Funny at times i say relax it's just a game, but at the crunch, the game and our club obviously more than that.
Speaking of songs, It's more than a game...

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Speaking of songs, It's more than a game...
Interesting to see what they do this year. NO footy rights and all and no AFL to keep happy.

Sockeye Salmon
03-02-2007, 09:37 PM
My wife was cleaning out the wardrobe in the spare room and found a video (this could be trouble).

Dogs v North, the one where Crofty outmarks Carey in the last few seconds. Bewdy.

GVGjr
03-02-2007, 09:50 PM
What a great game to find out of the blue. Crofty often performed well when playing on some of the games great players.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 10:08 PM
My wife was cleaning out the wardrobe in the spare room and found a video (this could be trouble).

Dogs v North, the one where Crofty outmarks Carey in the last few seconds. Bewdy.
I was trying to get BF posters to remember this game, one of my favourites. Glad someone can still remember and enjoy it.