PDA

View Full Version : Things you don't see at the footy anymore

The Coon Dog
06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
I was watching my son play footy the other day & noticed that the kids on the bench were wearing dressing gowns to keep warm. It used to be common to see that, but with the revolving door that is the interchange these days, I'd say we've seen the last of it.

It made me think about things that you no longer see at the footy.

* Players entering the ground signing autographs. Nowdays players enter the ground via secret tunnels & emerge through trapdoors hidden behind pictures on the wall in dressing rooms.

* Race results on the scoreboard.

* Reserves playing prior to the seniors.

* The Hyde Street School Band!

* People walking around the ground at half time with a blanket to collect coins thrown.

Others?

Go_Dogs
06-04-2008, 12:10 PM
You rarely see confetti thrown anymore. I have many fond memories of sitting at Norwood Oval as a youngster and the whole area behind/around the goals would be filled with floating confetti.

1eyedog
06-04-2008, 12:27 PM
You rarely see confetti thrown anymore. I have many fond memories of sitting at Norwood Oval as a youngster and the whole area behind/around the goals would be filled with floating confetti.

Yeah confetti. We used to throw torn up newspaper when I was a kid in the 70s. Playing in the mud has gone (except the cricket square in Brisbane in round 1). Drop kicks and flat punts (ha ha) and manual scoreboards.

ledge
06-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Having a kick at the 1/4 time breaks and walking around the players listening to the coaches addresses.
Duffle coats with numbers and badges all over them, still around but nowhere near what they used to be.
Going home with a sore back because you stood on a slope covered in stone dust all game.
Standing next to retired players during a game because they just became another supporter after they finished.

Mofra
06-04-2008, 03:32 PM
Ahhh the memories:

- Tearing the sleeves out of a jacket because of the barbed wire they had on the player's races at WO.
- Standing up at the football and still being close enough to the action
- Being able to buy food at the football without needing to arrange a personal finance loan first
- Kids collecting cans to recycle for some extra pocket money
- An old guy punching a tab out of your membership card as you enter the ground through turnstyles made of metal recycled from the Crimean War
- Watching the boys run out onto the ground and recognising your plumber, electrician, etc.
- Needing to buy a footy record so you could work out who the hell C vs D were
- Kids given longer than 1/2 a season to develop into good footballers (hi Peter Foster)

bornadog
06-04-2008, 06:03 PM
With all the technology and electronics the scoreboard these days is woeful. You don't see the quarter by quarter scores , permanently. This could be done on the side of the score board, especially at the Dome. The MCG is even worse, the score board there is a small board on level two, the big screen does not have any scores at all.. How many times do you hear fans saying, how many did we kick that quarter?

Other things you don't see:

- Boys yelling out Pies hotdogs cold drinks.

- The peanut man

- handknitted jumpers, scarves and beanies

- Old women knitting

- Umbrellas up and you can't see a bloody thing

- Mud on the ground and players covered in it

- running on to the ground at the end of the game to see who gets to the centre first.

- Mounted policeman heading to protect the umpire as the crowd runs on to the ground

- running on the ground and milling around the players race and the players fighting their way through and the crowd chanting and screaming, a great sight.

- a century kicking fullforward (when was the last one?????)

- A drop kick, stab pass or a long booming torpedo (although Griffen did one last week against Melbourne)

- A real fight with real punches.

The Coon Dog
06-04-2008, 06:41 PM
- Cheer squads with those huge floggers.

- Grea huge canvas signs hung over the fence or from the grandstand.

Dancin' Douggy
06-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Chris Grant

1eyedog
06-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Chris Grant

Not true, I saw him at the Adelaide game in round 1:D

Super 27
06-04-2008, 08:42 PM
feeding Scragger ice in the social club after the match while the old man drank with his mates

The Coon Dog
06-04-2008, 08:45 PM
feeding Scragger ice in the social club after the match while the old man drank with his mates
Didn't he dribble somewhat? Also welcome S27, we had another Super fan join recently, Superfan ironically. Still my wife's second favourite Doggies player.

hujsh
06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Didn't he dribble somewhat? Also welcome S27, we had another Super fan join recently, Superfan ironically. Still my wife's second favourite Doggies player.

Who was Super? I'm guessing he had the jumper 27

Mantis
06-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Ahhh the memories:

- Tearing the sleeves out of a jacket because of the barbed wire they had on the player's races at WO.
- Standing up at the football and still being close enough to the action
- Being able to buy food at the football without needing to arrange a personal finance loan first
- Kids collecting cans to recycle for some extra pocket money
- An old guy punching a tab out of your membership card as you enter the ground through turnstyles made of metal recycled from the Crimean War
- Watching the boys run out onto the ground and recognising your plumber, electrician, etc.
- Needing to buy a footy record so you could work out who the hell C vs D were
- Kids given longer than 1/2 a season to develop into good footballers (hi Peter Foster)

I used to do that at the Western Oval. Used to fill the cans up with rocks to add extra weight.

The best spot to collect them was between the 2 clubs races. I used to stand in the middle and get pelted with empty green cans. I used to smell like a brewery worker after the game, but when the olds were in the social club after the game we used to play on the ground and after that I would just plain stink..... Fun times

hujsh
06-04-2008, 08:56 PM
I used to do that at the Western Oval. Used to fill the cans up with rocks to add extra weight.

The best spot to collect them was between the 2 clubs races. I used to stand in the middle and get pelted with empty green cans. I used to smell like a brewery worker after the game, but when the olds were in the social club after the game we used to play on the ground and after that I would just plain stink..... Fun times

Did you get paid by the kilo?

GVGjr
06-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Did you get paid by the kilo?

Yes that was the way it worked. Most people added a bit of sand so that the bags didn't make too much noise if they were rattled

craigsahibee
06-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Simon Beasley being listed as a late withdrawal due to the potential for rain at some stage in the afternoon.

Dancin' Douggy
06-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Not true, I saw him at the Adelaide game in round 1:D

Yeah but I still want see him soaring over packs. I miss Chris. I wish there was an icon I could attach to represent deep and sincere sadness.

The Coon Dog
06-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah but I still want see him soaring over packs. I miss Chris. I wish there was an icon I could attach to represent deep and sincere sadness.

Here you are DD.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3293/imagesvb1.jpg

ledge
06-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Helen Damico running nude at Bruce Doull

aker39
06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
3/4 time oranges

Umpires in white

ledge
06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Watching players break through the banner,ripping it in half. Does anyone know why we now go under it?

Dancin' Douggy
06-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Here you are DD.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3293/imagesvb1.jpg

Thanks Coon Dog. But it's still only scratching the surface.

Dancin' Douggy
06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Watching players break through the banner,ripping it in half. Does anyone know why we now go under it?

Because like everything else in footy it's become an over bloated version of the original idea. Players CAN'T run through it any more. It's so big it needs so much tape to hold it together to be windproof etc. That 22 of the strongest athletes in the country aren't powerful enough to do it. That tape is pretty damn strong. And there's Kilometres of it in every banner.

Sockeye Salmon
06-04-2008, 10:46 PM

Steve Macpherson.

Arrived from Tassie as a 16 yo in the early 80's and played until mid 90's. 180 or so games. Tough bugger (solid but not tall) who handed it out. A good mate of Doug Hawkins who didn'y exactly live a temperate life off field.

There's probably a thread on him in The Doug Hawkins Wing. If there isn't there should be.

Dancin' Douggy
06-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Steve Macpherson.

Arrived from Tassie as a 16 yo in the early 80's and played until mid 90's. 180 or so games. Tough bugger (solid but not tall) who handed it out. A good mate of Doug Hawkins who didn'y exactly live a temperate life off field.

There's probably a thread on him in The Doug Hawkins Wing. If there isn't there should be.

I played schoolboy footy with Super. He was jaw droppingly incredible. He'd take every clearance and Play on and kick a goal. If there was a bad bounce and the other team went forward he'd sprint into defence and take the mark. Then play on and kick a goal. We won the Herald Shield that year on his back. We did have some other good players but having Super was like having a Bren gun against Slingshots. He was............super!

LostDoggy
06-04-2008, 11:19 PM
The 2nd Siren allowing you to have a kick at the MCG the NOT so peoples ground. I would also say telstra dome but we all now thate the Corprates ground.

ledge
06-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I played schoolboy footy with Super. He was jaw droppingly incredible. He'd take every clearance and Play on and kick a goal. If there was a bad bounce and the other team went forward he'd sprint into defence and take the mark. Then play on and kick a goal. We won the Herald Shield that year on his back. We did have some other good players but having Super was like having a Bren gun against Slingshots. He was............super!

So you played at St Johns or was it Chisholm college then, that was when the bulldogs sent all theyre under 19s to that school, i remember Dodemaide went and played too.

Dancin' Douggy
07-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Chisholm

The Coon Dog
07-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Chisholm

The 'Red Backs'.

Also Mark Noble was sent there too. Came across from SA & did stuff all.

1eyedog
07-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Ciggies at full time, geez in some instances ciggies at half time:D

Rocket Science
07-04-2008, 09:31 AM

^
^
^
^
There's yer boy up there, if you look closely enough you can see the evil in his eyes.

Back on topic:

- Goal umps in butchers coats
- Imbecilic but amusing post-game race to the centre square
- Cheersquad banners with wit
- Streakers

bornadog
07-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Helen Damico running nude at Bruce Doull

and proving she wasn't a real blond:p

bornadog
07-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Steve Macpherson.

One of my favourites in the 1980's

ledge
07-04-2008, 11:20 AM
being squashed at the gates trying to get out after the game

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 11:21 AM
- Streakers

there was one at the Bulldogs Fremantle game in Darwin last year.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 06:57 PM
The 'Orange Man". He used to stand near us, at the Geelong Road end during a home match in the 70's. He used to get the train from Warrnambool, watch the game and head back that night. At half time, he would eat his oranges, hence our nickname for him 'The Orange man".

Twodogs
08-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Peanuts, get your peanuts

Buying the Herald at the gates on the way out with the 3/4 time scores from other grounds.

Twodogs
08-04-2008, 10:43 AM

1982. I went to Footscray High and you guys killed us in one of the earler rounds.

Sockeye Salmon
08-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Peanuts, get your peanuts

Buying the Herald at the gates on the way out with the 3/4 time scores from other grounds.

That always amazed me how they could do that. Printed, loaded and delivered in 1/2 an hour.

The ink was still wet.

Kentucky Fried Chicken (none of this KFC rubbish) on the way home and the pink Sporting Globe with the scores from every sport you could imagine.

Twodogs
08-04-2008, 01:12 PM
That always amazed me how they could do that. Printed, loaded and delivered in 1/2 an hour.

The ink was still wet.

Kentucky Fried Chicken (none of this KFC rubbish) on the way home and the pink Sporting Globe with the scores from every sport you could imagine.

That was always available at the newsagents on the corner of Somerville and Geelong rds on my walk home from the ground. Full time scores within an hour of siren time without email to send the completed story in with.

Mofra
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
- Goal umpires having to sport a mandatory moustache.
- Someone in the crowd swapping the Sherrin for some dodgy Match III from Forges.
- Puddles in the grandstands/seating areas

ledge
08-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Blokes half tanked slipping and rolling down the hill at halftime for a pee

Sockeye Salmon
08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
That was always available at the newsagents on the corner of Somerville and Geelong rds on my walk home from the ground. Full time scores within an hour of siren time without email to send the completed story in with.

Eddie Maguire so desperately wanted to be a sports journo that at 14 he would carry the journos copy from the MCG to the Herald offices in Flinders St on his bike. It was the quickest way to the stories back and it meant that the journos could go straight to the bar without going back to the office.

He would always read them and often correct bits that were factually wrong.

hotdog
08-04-2008, 05:30 PM
RS I believe I am the proud owner of the jumper he is wearing in that photo. My Dad bought it for me in the early 80's at a school fete. $20 if I recall correctly. I would have been about 10 yrs old and it hung down to my shins but gee was I proud. I still have it with the Eastcoast sponsorship badges and autograph across the 27 although that has slightly faded over the years. I still don it at the occasional match.