PDA

View Full Version : Round 4, 2008 Opposition Player Focus: Mark McVeigh

The Underdog
07-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Following on from Lantern’s excellent analysis of Sam Fisher last week (somewhat like going on stage after the Stones with a 3 string guitar), I thought I’d take a look at one of Essendon’s danger players for this Friday night’s game. While there have been a number of players from the Don’s who have taken us apart over the years (thankfully Hird is retired and Lucas injured), I thought I’d take a look at Mark McVeigh, who has emerged in recent times as one of the Dons most important players for his ability to both create and shut down. He is capable of winning the ball in and under but is also often the guy who receives the handball and releases players running past

http://www.bombersfc.com.au/portals/0/essendon_images/2008_profile_images/2008_McVEIGH_Mark_Profile_medium.jpg

D.O.B: 26th January, 1981 (Age 27)
Recruited from: Pennant Hills / NSW – ACT U18’s
Height and Weight: 184cm / 85 kg
Drafted: Pick 9, 1998
Debut: 1999
Games: 165

Player Profile: (From bombersfc.com.au):
Had a superb 2007 season to be equal third (with Scott Lucas) in the best and fairest. Often used as a tagger, but wins plenty of the ball himself and is now regarded as a fine midfielder in his own right. Has the ability to kick vital goals and is a superb overhead mark. Determined and consistent

Up until the last couple of years McVeigh was stuck back in the queue of Essendon midfielders, behind the likes of Hird, Johnson and Mercuri and better known for his tagging abilities, he spent as much time in the backline as he did in the middle. However in recent times he has become a strong ball winner and creative midfielder, good in the clearances but also used as a linkman. In 2007 he was the Bomber’s 6th leading disposal winner, 4th in inside 50’s, 5th in hard ball gets and 1st in loose ball gets. Averaging 25 possessions per game this year McVeigh is still often sent to the opposition’s most dangerous player or onto a player having an influence, as he was against Carlton, being sent to play on Betts when he was on fire and going to Judd later when he was turning it on. Deceptively good overhead (in evidence in the video below) he is not the most penetrating kick, but given time and space is dangerous and can often sneak forward to kick a goal :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtnLKRTP19c

Where I think McVeigh will be most dangerous is in the clearances, getting the ball out to the quicker Essendon runners. He will also most likely be assigned to one our mids, possibly Cooney to begin with, but along with the general rotations, will I’m sure be moved around to players having an influence on the game. Also don’t be surprised to see him start out of the square potentially on Gilbee trying to shut him down and make him accountable. However with Essendon’s lack of midfield depth I don’t think they can afford to leave him out of the midfield for the whole game.
The key to beating him is nothing complicated or new. Our midfielders like Cooney, Cross, Griffen and Boyd need to get first hands on the ball and be strong in the contest as they were last week. McVeigh isn’t overly quick so someone like Cooney should be able to exploit him with his pace as well as being strong enough overhead and in close to match him. We definitely need to be aware of him sneaking forward and stop him from picking up cheap goals. His versatility and ability to play different positions are very dangerous but on the other hand I think we have a group of midfielders who if they continue to play the hard nosed pressure football they have recently should be fully capable of negating his influence.

Dry Rot
07-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Great choice Underdog. He certainly is a Dons player who has been around for years but crept up in importance. One of the few "old heads" left from the great Bombers sides of the late nineties.

His duel with Conney should be a cracker.

Sockeye Salmon
07-04-2008, 11:31 AM
He's done a good job on Johnson befpre but I doubt they have enough ball winning talent to have the luxury of giving him that job again.

alwaysadog
07-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Agree with DR about this player's importance. He could well be a barometer of their side if he fires a lot of others get good ball and space in and around packs to work. Shut him down and the Dons don't look so potent.

Might be a job for out No 5.

Topdog
07-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Will Essendon use anyone in a tagging role? Against Geelong they seemed to just try and take them on and whilst I didn't watch any of the Carlton game with the final match score being around 280 I can't imagine a lot of tagging was done.

His handballing out to the quick guys is certainly something that we will have to watch for and I'd like to see Boyd match up on McVeigh in an attempt to curb his influence.

The Underdog
07-04-2008, 12:47 PM
He's done a good job on Johnson befpre but I doubt they have enough ball winning talent to have the luxury of giving him that job again.

I meant to mention the fact that he's had success against Johnno, but accidentally left it out. I agree though that he's become too important to their midfield and they lack enough depth to do without him.

There's some suggestion he may be sighted for striking Fevola.

You can't get suspended for a public service, surely

Will Essendon use anyone in a tagging role? Against Geelong they seemed to just try and take them on and whilst I didn't watch any of the Carlton game with the final match score being around 280 I can't imagine a lot of tagging was done.

His handballing out to the quick guys is certainly something that we will have to watch for and I'd like to see Boyd match up on McVeigh in an attempt to curb his influence.

We might try and get Boyd to him, but I'd say Knights will set him for a player, so there might be a bit of ring a rosy. He's not an out and out tagger so much anymore as a Kane Cornes like stopper who gets plenty of ball himself. Just watching his game on Saturday night, it seemed like every time someone from Carlton started to have an influence, McVeigh would show up next to them. He is a very important player for them in a number of aspects.

Topdog
07-04-2008, 12:50 PM
We might try and get Boyd to him, but I'd say Knights will set him for a player, so there might be a bit of ring a rosy. He's not an out and out tagger so much anymore as a Kane Cornes like stopper who gets plenty of ball himself. Just watching his game on Saturday night, it seemed like every time someone from Carlton started to have an influence, McVeigh would show up next to them. He is a very important player for them in a number of aspects.

That would be where not watching the game came back missing vital info. At a guess I would say that he doesn't so much as tag a player but goes head to head with them and wins the ball instead of them.

Regardless he is a very important player for Essendon and I wouldn't mind a bit of a 2 on 1 if they wanna play it like that. I believe our midfield will overpower them and it will be very interesting to see how many players McVeigh matches up on.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Way overated. Good player in a crap side.

The Underdog
07-04-2008, 01:01 PM
That would be where not watching the game came back missing vital info. At a guess I would say that he doesn't so much as tag a player but goes head to head with them and wins the ball instead of them.

Regardless he is a very important player for Essendon and I wouldn't mind a bit of a 2 on 1 if they wanna play it like that. I believe our midfield will overpower them and it will be very interesting to see how many players McVeigh matches up on.

I think we're sort of saying the same thing different ways. He doesn't get sent to players to be a negative force but because he has the physical tools to match it with most players his size and to beat them one on one, which i think is similiar to what Cornes does (but maybe that's just me). The only thing he really lacks is pace, and while his kicking isn't penetrating he usually uses it pretty well. He is stronger than most players his size overhead and very strong body to body.
I have to say though that watching the Dons on saturday night, I came out thinking that if they want to play like that we should kill them. McVeigh aside I don't really rate their midfield and Dempsey and Jetta, 2 guys who did well against us in the NAB Cup are out injured. I don't think they match up on us very well at all and with Lucas out shouldn't trouble our backs anywhere near as much.

Topdog
07-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I have to say though that watching the Dons on saturday night, I came out thinking that if they want to play like that we should kill them. McVeigh aside I don't really rate their midfield and Dempsey and Jetta, 2 guys who did well against us in the NAB Cup are out injured. I don't think they match up on us very well at all and with Lucas out shouldn't trouble our backs anywhere near as much.

My thoughts exactly. If we have really arrived this is a game we will win by 5-6 goals.

Twodogs
07-04-2008, 04:31 PM
A player that I worry about. He might have to much leg speed for any of our taggers.

Mantis
07-04-2008, 05:06 PM
A player that I worry about. He might have to much leg speed for any of our taggers.

Won't he be the one doing the tagging?

For Essendon to be competitive ( as long as we come to play) then they simply have to stop Cooney. The only other option might be Peverill who got torn a new arse by Judd and simply can't go with the quicker players now. There are only option is McVeigh.

1eyedog
07-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Way overated. Good player in a crap side.

Uniformed comment. McVeigh has always been a good contributor even when the Dons were fielding strong sides from the late 90s. He seems to have become a very even minded footballer, always makes sound decisions and knows how to find space and bring his teammates into the game. I really rate him and I think McVeigh has become an excellent player and warrants special attention. He has done well on Johnno before but I agree that he is too valuable to be put on Johnno to start so will start in the middle. Johnno will get Slatery or Monfries (although he may be injured???) I'd like to see Boyd run with him as well.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2008, 05:42 PM

For Essendon to be competitive ( as long as we come to play) then they simply have to stop Cooney. The only other option might be Peverill who got torn a new arse by Judd and simply can't go with the quicker players now. There are only option is McVeigh.

Peverill may be lucky to retain his place in the side this week.

Will be interesting to see whether McVeigh tags or they try to out-do us through the midfield without him playing the negating role on someone like Cooney. I hope they roll the dice, it could get ugly, or be a very exciting, fast paced contest.

hujsh
07-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Whoever lines up on him will have to watch him as well. He will kick goals if not paid attention

GVGjr
07-04-2008, 06:16 PM

They will either play him on Cooney or Johnson (if fit) in my opinion.

ledge
07-04-2008, 07:03 PM
OK so what will be Essendons backline? Ryder V Johno, Fletcher v Murphy? Cant see McVeigh covering Johno at all even if Johno does go in midfield. Might try McVeigh on Griffen, try and stop him being explosive, and feed off him.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Uniformed comment. McVeigh has always been a good contributor even when the Dons were fielding strong sides from the late 90s. He seems to have become a very even minded footballer, always makes sound decisions and knows how to find space and bring his teammates into the game. I really rate him and I think McVeigh has become an excellent player and warrants special attention. He has done well on Johnno before but I agree that he is too valuable to be put on Johnno to start so will start in the middle. Johnno will get Slatery or Monfries (although he may be injured???) I'd like to see Boyd run with him as well.

McVeigh was never a top liner in the Bombers good teams. Now they are crap he is. The next team behind Collingwood to pump up their players is Essendon.

BulldogBelle
07-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Great write up Underdog, well done!

McVeigh as mentioned by a few on this thread previously used to always play on Johnno and with great success. Although, now in a different position if he plays on Cooney wow what an interesting battle that will be. I rate McVeigh very highly.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Good write up Underdog - I think that McVeigh will be put on Cooney, who is arguably our most valuable player. I don't think that he has the speed of Cooney though, and it will free up JOhno who rarely has a bad game twice in a row. Who will replace Westy?

Dry Rot
07-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Good write up Underdog - I think that McVeigh will be put on Cooney, who is arguably our most valuable player. I don't think that he has the speed of Cooney though, and it will free up JOhno who rarely has a bad game twice in a row. Who will replace Westy?

Maybe West's injury solves the conundrum of Eagleton or Harbrow?

1eyedog
07-04-2008, 11:12 PM
McVeigh was never a top liner in the Bombers good teams. Now they are crap he is. The next team behind Collingwood to pump up their players is Essendon.

I agree that the Pies and the Dons pump up their players, but I reckon McVeigh is playing 30% better than he was 2-3 years ago. The season is only young. I'll be watching him closely on Friday night,

alwaysadog
08-04-2008, 12:24 AM
When I was growing up, many years ago the Bombers were football purists. Lovely to watch, beautiful long kicking and lovely high marking.
Then Sheeds taught them about life, it's hard and gritty.. and at times dirty (as a plumber would know).
McVeigh is one of the blue collar workers I admire as I did the mid field we had in the 90s, but I don't think he has the support he needs.

Friday will be a part answer.

Dry Rot
08-04-2008, 04:55 PM
I agree that the Pies and the Dons pump up their players, but I reckon McVeigh is playing 30% better than he was 2-3 years ago. The season is only young. I'll be watching him closely on Friday night,

A few of them seem to be thriving under Knights.

GVGjr
08-04-2008, 04:57 PM

He knew what a lot of the boys could do because he was the coach of Bendigo. He seems to have gotten his message across and the list has responded to him.

LostDoggy
08-04-2008, 05:49 PM

They've gone no where yet. They have beaten 15 placed team from last year and a poor North . Big deal.

BulldogBelle
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM
He knew what a lot of the boys could do because he was the coach of Bendigo. He seems to have gotten his message across and the list has responded to him.

Yep, they seem to have embraced him, I heard Jobe Watson on the radio yesterday mentioning that the place was like a breath of fresh air now.