PDA

View Full Version : Sixteen Teams, half can make the Finals - what a joke

bornadog
03-02-2007, 03:33 PM
I am interested to hear what others think of having a final eight system. Personally I think it really is a joke having half the teams able to make the finals. It really doesn't give this great game of ours credability around the world. When you explain the game to someone out side of Australia, they think its a joke having a full season of games and half of the teams making the finals. Why are Australians obsessed with finals? Look at the A League, thats a joke too with their finals system. Lets face it, its almost impossible to win a flag from positions 5 to 8. The current system rewards mediocracy and is only for TV rights but does nothing for attendence and supporters. Compare, the finals series attendance of the 1970's and 1980's and you will see what I mean.

I would like to see a final 6, or even 5.

What do you think?

GVGjr
03-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Sorry BAD but I think an 8 works better than a 6 or 5. The competition should be more even with the draft and the salary cap which should make it hard enough to make the 8.
I think we are stuck with an 8 for a fair while yet and this is one that they are unlikely to change.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I like 8 for the symetry in finals matches. Six and five make it more confusing in the middle weeks of finals and sooky la-la's and loud mouths always find something to criticise about which team gets a week off, what round and so on. The system atm is working very well i think and casting out minds back to Adelaide was it 97, winning from 8th?

bornadog
03-02-2007, 04:13 PM
i think and casting out minds back to Adelaide was it 97, winning from 8th?

Back then they had a complicated method of working out who plays who after week one. Since then the 8 has changed.

The Coon Dog
03-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Eight is OK, let's be honest, if it wasn't for the 8, how many sides finals aspirations would be dashed by round 13?

If there wasn't a final 8, we would never be able to say 'I was there" when we flogged Collingwood last season at the MCG infront of the biggest crowd to watch a Bulldogs game sinse 1961.

Sponsors tip bucketloads of cash into clubs so they want their brand exposed during September. The AFL's sponsors want as much exposure during finals & they also tip bucketloads of cash into the comp as the the TV networks. Whether we like sponsors or not, they are a VERY intergal component. We alone couldn't do without them.

Probably digressed a bit, but I have no qualms with a final 8. Alot depends who you play too, for example if we finished 5th & hosted Essendon it would be alot less of an advantage than if we hosted Brisbane. I suppose that's the same for any final system. They key in my view is to finish top 2, win the first one then you are guaranteed of host a Prelim.

bornadog
03-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I think we are stuck with an 8 for a fair while yet and this is one that they are unlikely to change.

Agree the AFL won't change the current system at this stage. But, still don't agree that half the teams can make the finals, but good to hear what others think.

bresker
03-02-2007, 04:46 PM
The eight teams have to win most of their 22 matches, sometimes travelling farther than any teams anywhere in the world for a home/away fixture (Brisbane-Perth.)

Only then do they get the right to play in finals, and then they have to win 3 or 4 cut-throat matches on top of the gruelling regular season.

I think it is just as hard as other leagues.

For instance, in American football you only have about a 15 week season, and you can finish 2nd (maybe 3rd?) in your little league of 4 and still make the finals. Isn't it the same in basketball and baseball?

In European soccer only a handful of teams every win anything these days because they have the money and power. The rest are fighting for scraps. It would make things more interesting if their leagues had finals. Imagine the uproar if Bolton knocked Chelsea out of the premiership race.

LostDoggy
03-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Agree the AFL won't change the current system at this stage. But, still don't agree that half the teams can make the finals, but good to hear what others think.
BAD, you are right on the money. It rewards average teams and has the ability to dilute the quality of the final series.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 05:25 PM
BAD, you are right on the money. It rewards average teams and has the ability to dilute the quality of the final series.
Where did we finish last year?

The Coon Dog
03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Where did we finish last year?
After 22 rounds - 8th.

After the finals - 6th.

bulldogtragic
03-02-2007, 05:30 PM
After 22 rounds - 8th.

After the finals - 6th.
Billy, just making sure that the Dogs in 2006 were not an average team that was rewarded to dilute the quality of the finals series?

Dry Rot
03-02-2007, 06:52 PM
In many years, the 7th and 8th teams are crap.

But in some more even years, the race for the finals between 10 or 11 teams goes down to the wire in the last round = exciting.

alwaysadog
03-02-2007, 07:03 PM
In many years, the 7th and 8th teams are crap.

But in some more even years, the race for the finals between 10 or 11 teams goes down to the wire in the last round = exciting.

In 2005 we would have been stoked to have made the finals, although we took over 1/2 a season to regain self belief we wouldn't have regarded ourselves as mediocre we saw ourselves as bound for glory and a finals berth would have added about 1,000 extra memberships.

LostDoggy
03-02-2007, 08:11 PM
In response to 42's and Coon Dogs contributions.
If you finish the home and away season of a 16 team competition 7th, 8th or 9th you are probably in the average range.
The Dogs finished the H&A season 8th so they were in the average range.
The Dogs did win a final against a team that started the season very well but slipped back, the following week we were stitched up but a powerful team and made to look 2nd rate.
Even though we were playing good football in the latter part of the season it highlighted that we were a fair way behind the quality teams. We did have some good reasons though.
I see where BAD is heading, in just about every year the final 4 are contested by the teams that finished in the top 6.
I also agree that the race for the final 8 can be exciting but in most instances teams 7 and 8 are just making up the numbers. I think a Doggies win against the Eagles might have changed my view on that though.

mjp
04-02-2007, 09:03 AM
For instance, in American football you only have about a 15 week season, and you can finish 2nd (maybe 3rd?) in your little league of 4 and still make the finals. Isn't it the same in basketball and baseball?

In American Football, 6 teams from each 16 team conference make the playoffs. Yes, up to 3 teams from one division can make it, as each division winner (4 per conference) make it, plus the teams with the next best two records.

In the NBA, 8 teams make it per conference - approx half of the teams.