PDA

View Full Version : Sheedy on Griffen

Topdog
08-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Link (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23503018-19742,00.html)

THERE are plenty of Holdens and Fords running around in the AFL, and even a few Morris Minors. Bulldogs midfielder Ryan Griffen just could be a Jaguar.

Put the smooth mover into cruise control and get him to 100 games as quickly as you can, because there is no doubt he will be a superstar.

After spending a couple of rounds idling in lower gears, he hit the accelerator and collected 120 points for Sheedy's Superstars this week.

One of the great pleasures I am quickly finding in SuperCoach is picking a bloke, then sitting back on Friday night and watching him star.

Griffen did that for my side, and he will be doing it for the next 10 years.

That agility, that pace, that swerve - we saw it all, and in my humble opinion he will very quickly be one of the great midfielders in the league.

He was a great selection by the Dogs several years back. Teams are criticised for dropping down the ladder but why wouldn't you, because if you go down you pick up a champion.

ledge
08-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Over the years i have seen champions arrive at this club and you know it from the minute you see them, Templeton, Hawkins, Grant.
From the first time i saw Griffen he was my next thought.
Although i will say, Hill who has come out of nowhere like Grant did, has definitely got me thinking too.
You dont get the skinny under 16s players anymore like the above mentioned due to the AFL rules, so you will get a sneak preview at 18 in the VFL or in the under 18s.
Well heres a question i have got, i believe you cant play AFL until your 18, does that rule apply in the VFL?

mjp
08-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Over the years i have seen champions arrive at this club and you know it from the minute you see them, Templeton, Hawkins, Grant.
From the first time i saw Griffen he was my next thought.
Although i will say, Hill who has come out of nowhere like Grant did, has definitely got me thinking too.
You dont get the skinny under 16s players anymore like the above mentioned due to the AFL rules, so you will get a sneak preview at 18 in the VFL or in the under 18s.
Well heres a question i have got, i believe you cant play AFL until your 18, does that rule apply in the VFL?

Well, that isn't exactly the rule - but you cannot be drafted if you turn 18 AFTER the end of March the following year...which in essence means you cannot play AFL until you are 18. The season started in March this year though, so it would have been possible for a 17yo to play. As for the VFL question, I guess if you were not selected by a TAC cup teamyou could go to a VFL side to try and get a game - but I suspect AFL Victoria would step in if that became reality and assign you BACK to your TAC Cup club.

It is different in WA and SA, as the elite under-age comps are aligned to the senior WAFL clubs. The rule in WA is that you cannot play 'up' until after the u18's carnival (for players selected in the champs, if you are not selected you can play up from the START of the carnival), unless you played senior footy the previous season in which case you are fair game. That is why you are hearing about kids like Rich, Natanui and Yarren playing seniors - none were draft eligible in 2007, and all of them will play in the u18's carnival this year and they are all playing senior WAFL footy...This has left an unintentional loophole that the clubs are taking advantage of, and anyone who even looks like they might be a chance to play seniors the next season will be immediately promoted to the 2's late in the year so they can access them immediately the following season. I understand the WAFC will close that one at the conclusion of this season...further detaching the colts from their senior counterparts.

The tier 2 footy is so dependent on players being drafted for its livelihood that I think a stand-alone u18s competition in both WA and SA is only a matter of time - but the clubs will fight it and they will be correct to do so.

camwoof
08-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Tasmania has had a guy who was to young to nominate for the draft last year running around. He is eligable this year, Aaron Cornelius. He plays as a key position forward.

ledge
08-04-2008, 02:21 PM
So if a VFL club gets a heap of injuries or lose too many to the AFL or both , can they pick players from the under 18s comp? Or do VFL clubs still have their own under18s?

Sockeye Salmon
08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
What if a kid spits the dummy with his TAC coach and quits, then rocks up at Willi asking for a game?

I assume if he's good enough they'll play him, but does he need a clearance? (Do they even still exist? Do I have to explain what they were to the under 20's amoung us?)

ledge
08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
A clearance OMG i stood out a year at Sunshine because Crossroads wouldnt clear me and i was only a junior!
Thank god they dont exist any more.

camwoof
08-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Players have played for the Tassie Mariners and then have been called up to the Tasmanian Devils in the VFL if they are good enough.

mjp
08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
So if a VFL club gets a heap of injuries or lose too many to the AFL or both , can they pick players from the under 18s comp? Or do VFL clubs still have their own under18s?

No.
No.

They have to go to the local leagues for players.

mjp
08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
What if a kid spits the dummy with his TAC coach and quits, then rocks up at Willi asking for a game?

I assume if he's good enough they'll play him, but does he need a clearance? (Do they even still exist? Do I have to explain what they were to the under 20's amoung us?)

Would be assessed on a case by case basis. A kid who was cut by Eastern Ranges last year, went to Willi because of a personal relationship and played 2's footy. AFL Vic saw him play and reallocated him to the Western Jets on that basis. If a kid spits the dummy with his TAC coach and walks out, I suspect he will play local u18's/seniors until he is no longer TAC eligible at which point he can go to the VFL.

I tell you, players have ZERO rights in the game today, ZERO. Unless they become an absolute superstar and happen to come out of contract in a season where the club they want to go too has finished stone motherless last...

ledge
08-04-2008, 04:19 PM
Isnt that terrible, whatever happened to restrict of trade? I mean AFL i can understand it but lower grades thats not right.

Sockeye Salmon
08-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Would be assessed on a case by case basis. A kid who was cut by Eastern Ranges last year, went to Willi because of a personal relationship and played 2's footy. AFL Vic saw him play and reallocated him to the Western Jets on that basis. If a kid spits the dummy with his TAC coach and walks out, I suspect he will play local u18's/seniors until he is no longer TAC eligible at which point he can go to the VFL.

I tell you, players have ZERO rights in the game today, ZERO. Unless they become an absolute superstar and happen to come out of contract in a season where the club they want to go too has finished stone motherless last...

Boo hoo.

That's bollocks. Hudson wanted to go to the Dogs, he went to the Dogs.
McMahon wanted to go to the Tigers, he went to the Tigers.

The only guy who didn't get traded to where he wanted was Bradley and he ended up there anyway.

What you really mean is whinging, prima donna footballers have ZERO rights to completely screw over their club, ZERO.

You'll be right, the AFLPA will bring in free agency soon and then every kid in Australia will have his favorite players number valcro'ed on because he'll be playing for someone else next year.

Topdog
08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Good to see Sheedys thoughts on Griff have generated so much talk :)

ledge
08-04-2008, 05:41 PM
But Sockeye loyalty will come back into it, kids can actually play for who they barracked for.
Then hopefully only players that go are ones who arent good enough at that club , but at least they had there chance.
If you were good enough and had choice im sure you would have liked to have played for doggies first.
I know when i was a kid i would have been devastated not to play for dogs.

ledge
08-04-2008, 05:44 PM

Ok Topdog back to Griffen,
funny its taken the media so long to see his talent, now they want to jump on the bandwagon, Reiwoldt might get the teachers pet taken from him .

Sockeye Salmon
08-04-2008, 08:10 PM
But Sockeye loyalty will come back into it, kids can actually play for who they barracked for.
Then hopefully only players that go are ones who arent good enough at that club , but at least they had there chance.
If you were good enough and had choice im sure you would have liked to have played for doggies first.
I know when i was a kid i would have been devastated not to play for dogs.

I was zoned to Geelong and did a pre-season there in 83-84. If they had have picked me up I would be now posting on a Geelong forum somewhere (assuming I had sobered up from last September).

For the chance to have played VFL footy I would have gone anywhere and pledged my allegence to anyone.

They actually changed their theme song while I was there.

"Come on the Cats
Come on the Cats
Let's show the world the way to play the game
For we are Geelong
We'll show them we belong
The greatest team to ever play the game

ledge
09-04-2008, 04:55 PM
But if you had a choice ?

mjp
09-04-2008, 05:26 PM

The problem is TD, that sentiment aside it is just a crap article. Where did Sheed's write that? Does he even care about his job these days?

Go_Dogs
10-04-2008, 09:04 AM
The problem is TD, that sentiment aside it is just a crap article. Where did Sheed's write that? Does he even care about his job these days?

I'm guessing he wrote it in regards to his dreamteam - Roo is doing one down here in The Advertiser where he has his team and comments on it each week.

Topdog
10-04-2008, 09:55 AM

Yeah I know but I just love reading stuff where people praise our players.

He wrote it in the HS for his dreamteam.

I wasn't actually worried about it going onto another topic just found it amusing that not 1 post actually related to it.

mjp
10-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Yeah I know but I just love reading stuff where people praise our players.

He wrote it in the HS for his dreamteam.

I wasn't actually worried about it going onto another topic just found it amusing that not 1 post actually related to it.

My fault I guess. In my defence, Ledge commented on the article and asked a question - which I tried to answer. Which derailed things.

Sorry.

ledge
10-04-2008, 11:53 AM
My fault I guess. In my defence, Ledge commented on the article and asked a question - which I tried to answer. Which derailed things.

Sorry.

So i guess i take half the blame too.

ledge
10-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Actually i just read the first post, Sheedy on Griffen, and what was the topic we were supposed to follow? In the end Sheedy was commenting on picking up a champion in the draft, I followed on from his last few comments.If you wanted us to follow a certain lead you probably should have put a lead underneath. Maybe...whats your thoughts on Griffen or something of the sort.

Topdog
10-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I didn't want anyone to follow anything, just posted it out of interest.

I meant that I found it funny that no one actually spoke about Griffen in the thread. The preceding posts were actually more interesting than Sheedy's comments to be honest, i just liked how it seemingly came from no where.

ledge
10-04-2008, 02:20 PM
A lot of posts do that. In fact not many dont, i started one on Dennis Cometti, i must check to see if he is still getting a mention in latest posts.

Topdog
10-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Dennis will always stay on Dennis. He has that control over people.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Well top dog,

Your in for a good year as I'm sure their will be lots of Praise for our players and coaches this year as we show all how the game should be played.

Don't forget the Scott Clayton needs a slap as well.