PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone prepared to…

mjp
04-01-2023, 07:28 PM
…rank the 10 best moments of the 2016 prelim?

I wanted to start a poll…but where do you start.

My vote for #1 is the Daniel goal (and the lead up passage of play) on 3/4 time.

Or maybe Smith’s first goal when he is involved on the wing and follows up.

Or maybe the Bont fend off (vs Wilson) then handball to Zaine…right foot snap…goal.

Or maybe the Dickson one hander 20m in front.

Or…

Whatcha got??

Mofra
04-01-2023, 08:10 PM
...or the commentators talking up Wood's marking ability early in the game, only for him to take a hangar 10 seconds later.

... and the crowd sound of "yeaaaahhhh' when Bont kicks a goal late in Q4 while BT screams 'to hit the front, to hit the front' (great run by JJ to get the ball and kick to him)

EasternWest
04-01-2023, 08:11 PM
1. Boyd's toepoke and play
2. Clay's hit on Griffen/Clay's first half.
3. Stringer's cross kick
4. Knee of God
5. Libba's kick out the back
6. Macrae's wobble goal
7. Wood's hanger
8. Devon Smith spudding it up
9. Lobb's very early audition.
10. T Boyd's toughness to gut it out without Roughead.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
04-01-2023, 09:52 PM
Heath Shaw’s tantrums

chef
04-01-2023, 10:07 PM
The booing when the Giants ran out. Removed any thought this was a home final.

Mat Lyons
04-01-2023, 10:20 PM
TOP 40 Bulldog Moments of the 2016 Finals Series…Enjoy the countdown!

**The magnificent moment that didn't make the cut: Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Johannisen unleashes a rocket, fittingly, from upon the Bulldog emblem outside the 50 metre arc. Tears flow as the crowd and JJ believe the second premiership may indeed be on it’s way to Barlky Street, until the goal umpire and technology conspire to threaten to continue the drought curse. The Football Gods however had other ideas, as the list below, and Bulldog history tells us…

40. Q1 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Daniel’s one-step long bomb goal, as Bulldog supporters around the country shuffle nervously on their sofas, allowing themselves for the first time, to consider that we may not be just making up the numbers…

39. Q1 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Wood’s ice-cool Captainly conversion to open the account after Dunkley’s craftily executed centring cross.

38. Q2 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Smith’s instinctual roving off the pack and adrenaline-pumping curly snap for his fourth major

37. Q1 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Wood’s fierce commitment to spoil a mark where Hunter’s opportunistic roving and lace-out pass finds Dickson. He expertly sends the ball over the goal umpire’s hat to give the Bulldogs the lead for the first time in a Grand Final since the third quarter of the 1961 decider.

36. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Tom Boyd’s enormous pack mark at halfback, splits his opponents and teammates in half and has the punters howling in the aisles

35. Q3 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Daniel’s mid-air steal and shimmy, before releasing inside 50 to Dunkley for a major

34. Q2 Grand Final Vs Sydney, McLean’s round-house snap to keep the Bulldogs in touch with seconds remaining before half time

33. Q1 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Picken’s three-touch mark in heavy traffic, and conversion to goal

32. Q3 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Roughead’s enormousl vice-like mark inside 50 and centre-splitting goal

31. Q4 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Bontempelli’s intercept from Hodge and assist to Dickson for a major

30. Q4 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Picken’s rolling, snaking punt for a goal to end the Premier’s title defense

29. Q2 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Hamling’s contested mark having outpointed Franklin, to save the day at the last line of defence

28. Q3 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Tom Boyd’s head-first battering-ram escape from a clutch of tackles, before releasing to Smith for a magnificent goal

27. Q1 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Smith’s follow up from his own clearance to run onto a Cordy assist and smash home the game’s opener

26. Q3 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Smith’s centring ball to Dickson for a one-handed slips catch and conversion

25. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Roughead's mighty momentum halting mark following Johannisen's goal review, which demanded the cruel footy gods to back off, and to signal that the weight of ill-fated history was about to change.

24. Q3 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Liberatore’s scoop to Bontempelli for a goal to elicit Bruce’s throaty tones – “Of course it’s him!”

23. Q3 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Morris’ desperate smother on Kennedy to prevent a certain goal, typifying the tenacity of the 2016 breed

22. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Wood's second effort after winning a vital contest at half back, to follow up with a brutal and rugged bump on Hanneberry to effectively end the play-maker's day and hand a significant advantage to his team, as only a skipper can.

21. Q3 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Picken’s glorious contested mark against two defenders, and goal conversion

20. Q3 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Jack-in-the-box Stringer’s leap-frogging right foot snap from the pocket for his third goal and trademark horizontal-arm celebration

19. Q3 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Roughead’s contested grab, turn and magnificent running, long goal

18. Q2 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Picken’s courage against the flight to mark and absorb all the impact that the Hawk army could muster, before rising immediately from the canvas, unrattled and itching for more

17. Q2 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Hunter’s over-the-head handball pinpointing Picken for a bending classic goal and exemplifying the class and success of the now-famour 'Bulldog handball club'

16. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Stringer’s mercurial goal from within the tight dimensions of a phone-box, to give every hopeful dreamer, belief that the unthinkable may happen

15. Q2 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Bontempelli’s matrix-like side-step and pass to Tom Boyd who marks down low and squeezes home a left foot snap

14. Q1 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Wood’s sky-scraping hanger on centre wing in front of the adoring and frothing Bulldog-faithful

13. Q1 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Cordy’s bone-crunching tackle and subsequent goal from the boundary to register a goal – and our first score – at precisely 19:54 on the clock. Charlie and Ted, thank you for your helping hand.

12. Q2 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Bontempelli’s chesty nudge when confronted by Hodge, epic mark and goal

11. Q1 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Dickson’s second effort to recover after almost hauling in a classic one hander, to rise to his feet and beat three opponents to jet through a magnificent goal

10. Q3 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Morris’ slide and gather against all odds to extract the leather from his opponent’s grasp and move the ball forward, where Smith put the cherry on top

9. Q4 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Bulldog team defensive effort between Wood, Hamling and Roberts to clear the ball from certain-death, enabling Smith to see the ball over the boundary with less than two minutes remaining

8. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Picken’s elegantly iconic, soaring mark from behind, that reminded us all of dad Billy, as pubs across the country roared in approval

7. Q4 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Bontempelli’s deft tap to Liberatore and pinpoint transition to Macrae 30 metres out, to extract the lead from the Giants for the final, magnificent time

6. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Picken charging into an open goal with the glorious backdrop of the red, white and blue army roaring victoriously as the dam wall was obliterated

5. Q4 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Matt Boyd’s hack out of mid-air landing with Johannisen who embarked on a kamakazi dash through the Orange Sea, to steer a kick in the path of Bontempelli for a majestic Bulldog goal

4. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Biggs’ extraordinary five-peat individual involvement in 30 seconds of manic and relentless finals footy results in Picken ramming home an enormous goal

3. Q3 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, the extraordinary, rabid, relentless, pressure-packed transition from Tom Boyd to Dunkley, to Bontempelli with ferocious tackling support from Dickson, to the wrenching Liberatore to Stringer, whose parry to Dahlhaus and inside 50 entry results in Smith’s head on collision allowing the ball to ricochet to Daniel for perhaps the hardest-earnt team goal in Bulldog final’s history, as Brian Taylor declares “Goal! Play of the year!!”

2. Q4 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Stringer’s cross to Dickson with 30 seconds remaining seals the deal and sends the tri-colours into their first Grand Final since before the moon landing

1. And the GREATEST MOMENT of them all?...Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, despite his broken back, Sir Dale Morris charges down footballing Goliath, Lance Franklin allowing the soon-to-be immortal figure,Tom Boyd, to press the red button, launching a Bulldog Atomic Bomb skyward, scoring a direct hit that paid his salary in one thunderous blow and sent the engraver to collect his tools to etch our name onto the most glorious cup on the planet!

soupman
04-01-2023, 10:43 PM
The Bont goal is probably my favourite football moment ever, so that. Just seeing it unfold, and knowing what was gonna happen, and the eruption of the crowd as it did was so beautiful.

But the 30 seconds after the siren wins on a personal level. We had about 14 of us in our group, and everyone was ecstatic. The outpouring of emotion...relief, excitement, happiness. As an extended family that had done all the hard yards, had had so many moments of "when will it be our turn", had gone every week every year, and had gambled on being there for that very exact moment, it was amazing. I distinctly remember having to run across about 12 seats to get to the bay across behind celebrating people so I could hug my sister and the rest of the our group. And seeing Dad and my uncle both in tears. And having Easton Wood run over to us and give my partner a footy.

Honestly if i could replay a minute of my life that would probably be it, or maybe I'd split it 5050 (3030?) with the Bont goal.

mjp
04-01-2023, 10:46 PM
3. Q3 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, the extraordinary, rabid, relentless, pressure-packed transition from Tom Boyd to Dunkley, to Bontempelli with ferocious tackling support from Dickson, to the wrenching Liberatore to Stringer, whose parry to Dahlhaus and inside 50 entry results in Smith’s head on collision allowing the ball to ricochet to Daniel for perhaps the hardest-earnt team goal in Bulldog final’s history, as Brian Taylor declares “Goal! Play of the year!!”

2. Q4 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Stringer’s cross to Dickson with 30 seconds remaining seals the deal and sends the tri-colours into their first Grand Final since before the moon landing

OK - I'm trying to put a line through any non-prelim stuff ('cos it's my thread and I'll do what I want) and given that I need serious justification as to how the Stringer kick - which sealed a game I guess but it was basically OVER - is better than the Daniel goal...on the siren with the Giants coming hard at us and the game on the line...it gave us last q momentum and (I think) was the most crucial passage of play all day.

So HOW is the Stringer goal rated above the Daniel goal??

The list is great btw but we should strip out all of the stuff from the West Coast, Hawthorn and Sydney games and focus instead on the best game ever player...the prelim vs the Orange.

EasternWest
04-01-2023, 11:10 PM
OK - I'm trying to put a line through any non-prelim stuff ('cos it's my thread and I'll do what I want) and given that I need serious justification as to how the Stringer kick - which sealed a game I guess but it was basically OVER - is better than the Daniel goal...on the siren with the Giants coming hard at us and the game on the line...it gave us last q momentum and (I think) was the most crucial passage of play all day.

So HOW is the Stringer goal rated above the Daniel goal??

The list is great btw but we should strip out all of the stuff from the West Coast, Hawthorn and Sydney games and focus instead on the best game ever player...the prelim vs the Orange.

I know you didn't quote me but I put Daniel's goal above Stringer's cross. But I understand why people might put that moment up so high.

For me Stringer's kick was like a pressure relief valve finally blowing and all the pent up years of bleh were washed away. I know it's fatalist, but him kicking that to Dickson meant there would be zero seconds - none - nada - zilch - left in the game for us to find a way to lose.

He takes a potshot there and there's still at least three second left in the game for us to conjure a way to lose.

EasternWest
04-01-2023, 11:12 PM
The booing when the Giants ran out. Removed any thought this was a home final.

But it was a home final. Just not theirs.

mjp
04-01-2023, 11:23 PM
I know you didn't quote me but I put Daniel's goal above Stringer's cross. But I understand why people might put that moment up so high.

The Stringer kick ==> Dickson point is not top 10.

I would say the Smith goal from Q1 is CLEARLY ahead of it. The Bont fend-off to Cordy goal, the Boyd toe poke...I could keep going. An under-rated one (and I can picture the kick and mark but not the kicker though I THINK it was Liber) was the over the back mark to Macrae with Haynes coming back but too late to effect the spoil...I'm sure that came out of a BTI with Liber having a couple of involvements but can't remember if he dished it off or kicked it.

I don't know why I've been thinking about this game so much today...I don't think I've watched it for over 12-months...

It is hard to define the joy of watching the footy during 2015 and then again in the 2016 finals when the boys were playing a united style of footy...I guess the Brisbane game in 2021 showed it's still there somewhere (and that Bailey Smith has TRUE GRIT) but all of the effort based losses since 2017 have really pushed those memories to the back of my mind...it's hard to forget though that once upon a time - and it wasn't that long ago really (but longer than I'd like) when you would go to the footy/turn on the game and just know that no matter what happened, it wasn't going to be effort/energy that cost us the result.

Sedat
05-01-2023, 10:23 AM
8. Devon Smith spudding it up.
I'd have a Jeremy Cameron highlight in the list as well but I couldn't find one.

Grantysghost
05-01-2023, 10:52 AM

I would say the Smith goal from Q1 is CLEARLY ahead of it. The Bont fend-off to Cordy goal, the Boyd toe poke...I could keep going. An under-rated one (and I can picture the kick and mark but not the kicker though I THINK it was Liber) was the over the back mark to Macrae with Haynes coming back but too late to effect the spoil...I'm sure that came out of a BTI with Liber having a couple of involvements but can't remember if he dished it off or kicked it.

I don't know why I've been thinking about this game so much today...I don't think I've watched it for over 12-months...

It is hard to define the joy of watching the footy during 2015 and then again in the 2016 finals when the boys were playing a united style of footy...I guess the Brisbane game in 2021 showed it's still there somewhere (and that Bailey Smith has TRUE GRIT) but all of the effort based losses since 2017 have really pushed those memories to the back of my mind...it's hard to forget though that once upon a time - and it wasn't that long ago really (but longer than I'd like) when you would go to the footy/turn on the game and just know that no matter what happened, it wasn't going to be effort/energy that cost us the result.

Maybe not in a highlight sense, but in a history of the Footscray Football Club sense it's probably number 1 for me. It's the moment I actually believed we might just win it all.

Mofra
05-01-2023, 11:06 AM
Maybe not in a highlight sense, but in a history of the Footscray Football Club sense it's probably number 1 for me. It's the moment I actually believed we might just win it all.
Yeah. "Jeez, if even Jake is being unselfish we're a chance" seemed to be my thoughts as well.

jazzadogs
05-01-2023, 11:17 AM
Patton and Cameron laughing in Boyd's face when Lobb outmarked him in the goal square is retrospectively a highlight, just for the way the big s?!*-eating grins were wiped off not long after.

Testekill
05-01-2023, 11:27 AM
Patton and Cameron laughing in Boyd's face when Lobb outmarked him in the goal square is retrospectively a highlight, just for the way the big s?!*-eating grins were wiped off not long after.

It's a shame that Cameron won a premiership for Geelong, would have been happy to see him retire without ever winning one.

Grantysghost
05-01-2023, 11:30 AM

Oh god yeah what flogs.

Bulldog Joe
05-01-2023, 12:30 PM
There are so many highlights that it is hard to rank them.

Tory Dickson juggled mark and goal on Heath Shaw with Shaw trying to blame everyone else.
Clay Smith roving the ruck contest to goal with Heath Shaw trying to blame everyone else.
Clay Smith barreling Griffen after a brilliant continuous play for the Caleb Daniel goal.
Mathew Boyd getting the ball out for the JJ run and pass forward for Bont to run on and goal
Libba passing to Jack Macrae and set shot goal
Stringer passing off to Dickson to kill the last 30 seconds.

What a magic game.

MrMahatma
05-01-2023, 01:50 PM

Yeah, Libba kicked it after following up from a kick he got previously... off the back of a Picken smother. I think Bont maybe taps it to him as he's following up.

That play, like pretty much all mentioned, just show the grit and guts and never-say-die approach that got that team a flag.

comrade
05-01-2023, 02:27 PM
Bont goal to hit the front.

To hit the front.

Greatest moment in the greatest game ever played.

1eyedog
05-01-2023, 04:21 PM
Mine was definitely Bont's goal in the last. Far from the sealer it was still the moment for me when I knew we were not going to lie down and that it might also be our time. Happened right in front of me I was on the 50 on the outer side.

Following some great tackle pressure from GWS I think Matty Boyd shin kicked it in mid air at HB but hit the ball near the end and it just spun and went a metre or two in the air and JJ was well positioned and read it perfectly on the drop. He ate space and released the pressure valve, crowd starts to heave. Of course it's him sprints forward from the centre of the ground to accept an ordinary but advantageous field kick from JJ and steadies from 25m and drills it. Everything is perfect the goal umpire does the head back thing and the crowd goes nuts. Bont runs right in front of me fist clenched. Think it puts us a point in front. There is a great octocall on this passage of play and every piece of commentary adds to the moment.

It wasn't as gritty or as team orientated as Daniel's goal but it was a moment in our history where Boyd's kick could have gone anywhere but it bounced in our favour. It was nice to get the rub of the green in that instance in the greatest game ever played.

The bulldog tragician
05-01-2023, 06:19 PM
Maybe for me, when we somehow repelled the charge from the Oranges in the last two minutes. Sorry to quote myself, but this is something I wrote about it - it was a tribute to Fletcher Roberts….

…..”Another devastating loss was still a real possibility when, with less than two minutes to go, the ball was pumped forward into The Acronyms' forward line. A forward line packed with glittering talent courtesy of the AFL: supercilious Jeremy Cameron, smarmy Toby Green, haughty Jon Patten, and others for whom I've run out of nasty adjectives. Ours was filled with rejects and rookies. Blue collar, not blue chip. Big-hearted, not big-headed.

As the kick spiralled into their star-studded forward line the hopes and dreams of thousands rested with those unheralded defenders all making the right decision, ensuring the wall would withstand the surge. Unobtrusive Fletcher Roberts was one of that wall. Easton Wood made a massive leap, crashing the contest. Danger still awaited; the ball hit the deck. Fletcher Roberts scooped up the ball. In that nightmare parallel universe into which Bulldogs' teams have so often tumbled, he would have fumbled it. But he handled it as cleanly as The Bont. Fletch launched a long bomb out of defence. It would have, in that parallel universe, skewed off his boot, gone out on the full, landed straight in the arms of someone wearing orange. But his kick landed in a pack inside the boundary line. And the ravenous Bulldogs were not going to let that ball back into the Giants' forward line again.

We remember JJ's dash, and Macrae's goal, and Clay Smith's ferocity, but Fletcher Roberts played his part in that night's story too.”

There will NEVER be a greater victory than that one..the fact that even watching a premiership the week after failed to surpass it tells us everything.

F'scary
05-01-2023, 08:40 PM
1: JJ pretty much standing as last defender intercepts a ground ball, breaks the lines, puts it out in front of Bont who controls the ball at full pace with no one between him and goal but the Giants cavalry bearing down on him. He shoots, GOAL, GOAL, GOAL.

merantau
05-01-2023, 09:55 PM
Maybe for me, when we somehow repelled the charge from the Oranges in the last two minutes. Sorry to quote myself, but this is something I wrote about it - it was a tribute to Fletcher Roberts….

…..”Another devastating loss was still a real possibility when, with less than two minutes to go, the ball was pumped forward into The Acronyms' forward line. A forward line packed with glittering talent courtesy of the AFL: supercilious Jeremy Cameron, smarmy Toby Green, haughty Jon Patten, and others for whom I've run out of nasty adjectives. Ours was filled with rejects and rookies. Blue collar, not blue chip. Big-hearted, not big-headed.

As the kick spiralled into their star-studded forward line the hopes and dreams of thousands rested with those unheralded defenders all making the right decision, ensuring the wall would withstand the surge. Unobtrusive Fletcher Roberts was one of that wall. Easton Wood made a massive leap, crashing the contest. Danger still awaited; the ball hit the deck. Fletcher Roberts scooped up the ball. In that nightmare parallel universe into which Bulldogs' teams have so often tumbled, he would have fumbled it. But he handled it as cleanly as The Bont. Fletch launched a long bomb out of defence. It would have, in that parallel universe, skewed off his boot, gone out on the full, landed straight in the arms of someone wearing orange. But his kick landed in a pack inside the boundary line. And the ravenous Bulldogs were not going to let that ball back into the Giants' forward line again.

We remember JJ's dash, and Macrae's goal, and Clay Smith's ferocity, but Fletcher Roberts played his part in that night's story too.”

There will NEVER be a greater victory than that one..the fact that even watching a premiership the week after failed to surpass it tells us everything.

I met Fletcher at a Club function in 2017 and said something like, "You could play footy for a hundred years and you'll never do a better clearing kick out of defence."

jeemak
07-01-2023, 03:50 AM
Easton Wood hanger - dominating the air and the ground.....but dominating the air. The first five or ten needed aerial dominance and that mark was so so good in providing it. At quarter time they'd have said don't kick it in the air to the ****....

Dickson's dropped mark and recovery for a goal....not sure if it's been mentioned or forgotten. He raked it in, and made EVERYONE on the field in the area look stupid. It's the best goal I've seen in a final.

Jacko's goal. Everyone said it was shinned, but you need to look closely and realise it's just how he kicks. Dead centre.

bornadog
07-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Easton Wood hanger - dominating the air and the ground.....but dominating the air..

EW also in the last few minutes of the game, throwing himself at everything to repel the GWS attack. He and Fletcher were determined we weren't going to give this one up.

When Stringer popped the ball in the air to Dickson standing on his own, the roar of the crowd while the ball was still in the air was incredible. It was the moment we all knew we are on the way to the big one.

merantau
07-01-2023, 09:57 PM
EW also in the last few minutes of the game, throwing himself at everything to repel the GWS attack. He and Fletcher were determined we weren't going to give this one up.

When Stringer popped the ball in the air to Dickson standing on his own, the roar of the crowd while the ball was still in the air was incredible. It was the moment we all knew we are on the way to the big one.

Agree BAD. It seemed like the crowd started to roar just after the ball began its descent from the apex of its trajectory. I loved that roar.

Sedat
09-01-2023, 12:51 PM
It's always nice to reminisce about this game (and the entire 2016 finals series). We weren't the 'best' team that year but we were easily the toughest, most uncompromising and most ruthless when it counted. It personally shits me that we are now 7 years on from this and have barely displayed those same qualities in that time. And the one time we did in the 2021 finals series (which was outstanding for 3 weeks and 2.5 quarters), we squandered our chance to add to the trophy cabinet with 8 of the most careless and insipid minutes of football we've played in our history. I really hope we leave no stone unturned and are absolutely ruthless and uncompromising in 2023 to ensure we don't blink when presented with another chance at success.

Boots
09-01-2023, 01:18 PM
I have watched the replay of that game twice or more and there was something I remember so clearly from watching it live that I haven't been able to find int eh footage since.

After Dickson marked but before he kicked, one of the commentators (Darcy maybe?) said something like, "I've been wanting to say this for as long as I can remember, but the Bulldogs are going through to a Grand Final" and the cameraman zoomed in on the bench with everyone hugging.

I swear that - at extreme zoom and quite uncharacteristically - the camera wobbled for a second. I could never decide if the wobble was caused by the cameraman being emotional, or by a sort of vibration in the stand being caused by fans jumping up and down with excitement.

Either way I like the idea that the footage itself was overwhelmed by the emotion of the moment.

bornadog
09-01-2023, 01:33 PM
The last two minutes were the most nervous I have been at a game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0DqIzr8IQ&t=4s

bornadog
09-01-2023, 01:44 PM
Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Hkba1o64g

aker39
10-01-2023, 02:01 PM
The Bont goal is probably my favourite football moment ever, so that. Just seeing it unfold, and knowing what was gonna happen, and the eruption of the crowd as it did was so beautiful.

But the 30 seconds after the siren wins on a personal level. We had about 14 of us in our group, and everyone was ecstatic. The outpouring of emotion...relief, excitement, happiness. As an extended family that had done all the hard yards, had had so many moments of "when will it be our turn", had gone every week every year, and had gambled on being there for that very exact moment, it was amazing. I distinctly remember having to run across about 12 seats to get to the bay across behind celebrating people so I could hug my sister and the rest of the our group. And seeing Dad and my uncle both in tears. And having Easton Wood run over to us and give my partner a footy.

Honestly if i could replay a minute of my life that would probably be it, or maybe I'd split it 5050 (3030?) with the Bont goal.

That is why I rate the PF better than the GF for me. The 15 family members who had gone to the footy together for so many years, got to celebrate together, to hug together, to cry together.

We didn't get that on GF day because we were separated, all in different stands at the G

After being at 7 losing GF's, no one will ever convince me that the GF was better than the PF. And I'm not saying that may not be the case for you, but for me the PF is the one.

And reading these moments, I can visualise every one of them.

Grantysghost
10-01-2023, 03:07 PM
That is why I rate the PF better than the GF for me. The 15 family members who had gone to the footy together for so many years, got to celebrate together, to hug together, to cry together.

We didn't get that on GF day because we were separated, all in different stands at the G

After being at 7 losing GF's, no one will ever convince me that the GF was better than the PF. And I'm not saying that may not be the case for you, but for me the PF is the one.

Agree, the prelim was the game. So glad I made the trip.
7 losing in person I was not going to miss the 8th!

Turned out it was the start of the 2-0 streak.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-01-2023, 09:39 PM

Pretty much this, although for me the GF day was pretty special. I didn't attend the PF (I was heading to USA the day after the Grand Final so I needed to save for it) and the whole GF experience from the minute I woke up was basically Hollywood perfection. Sharing the day with my dad, good mate and his brother was special.

Having said that, the PF was a rollercoaster of emotions. I almost had to leave the room because I couldn't take it and that's never happened before or since.

bornadog
10-01-2023, 11:17 PM

Spot on with this. What a shame GFs are setup the way they are for supporters. I ended up on my own with mates all over the place.

jeemak
11-01-2023, 12:30 AM
The tackle down from Morris and Tommy Boyd's goal at the GF was insane, however. I was twenty rows back centre wing and watching from close to ground level each level of the Punt Road end erupt and feeling the stand shake was every bit as good as any feeling I felt at the preliminary final. It must have been immense for the players.

I guess it's just that after winning the PF I never thought we'd really lose the GF.

Scraggers
11-01-2023, 04:53 AM
The last two minutes were the most nervous I have been at a game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0DqIzr8IQ&t=4s

I watch this every now and again and still end up in tears. My thoughts go to watching it live, surrounded by mates at my house, and me crying like a baby. My mate hugging me asking if I was okay; I couldn’t talk, couldn’t reply. Like others here, I’d watched the seven previous prelim losses, I didn’t know how to celebrate a win. Good times

jeemak
11-01-2023, 06:23 AM
The buzz around us after winning the WCE game was one thing, but after winning the Hawthorn game it was out of control. The entire comp was on us after that and it was at that point our best finals win of the modern era.

jeemak
11-01-2023, 06:35 AM
Back to the PF, I rate the Dickson dropped mark and recovery in the first highly, massive tone setter....

merantau
11-01-2023, 08:46 AM
I watch this every now and again and still end up in tears. My thoughts go to watching it live, surrounded by mates at my house, and me crying like a baby. My mate hugging me asking if I was okay; I couldn’t talk, couldn’t reply. Like others here, I’d watched the seven previous prelim losses, I didn’t know how to celebrate a win. Good times

It was the best game I've ever seen. Watched it in a ramshackle bar by the beach in eastern Sumbawa with half a dozen surfers who had no skin in the game - so the atmosphere was tepid to say the least.

However, I can assure you that my emotions were a maelstrom in a whirlpool: the highs were Himalayan, the lows were Mariana Trench and, when GWS scored successive goals early in the last, my heart fell through the rough cut boards of the bar floor and landed on the sand three metres below.

And then there were incredible goals by Dicko and Bont to get us back in front but still a long way out from the final siren. The last ten or twelve minutes of that game were torture - every contest was, for me, life changing as I felt like a different person after we won the flag. I simply could not bear the thought of departing this world without seeing my team win the Premiership. The win was that important for me.

I've posted this before but some may not have seen it. Here's the link.

Thread 'A Ride to Remember and the Experience of a Lifetime.' https://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-forum/threads/a-ride-to-remember-and-the-experience-of-a-lifetime.10539/

Mofra
11-01-2023, 10:11 AM
TBH I think it's the best game I've seen too.
The 7 losing prelims, the Lost Dogs Home aspect, Griff, the tension, all of that underlined a game where every single moment, every contest, truly mattered

Then consider the first round drafts picks vs a backline almost entirely made up of rookies, DFAs and a PSD pick... so many subtexts that made it extra special

1eyedog
11-01-2023, 11:36 AM
Easton Wood hanger - dominating the air and the ground.....but dominating the air. The first five or ten needed aerial dominance and that mark was so so good in providing it. At quarter time they'd have said don't kick it in the air to the ****....

Dickson's dropped mark and recovery for a goal....not sure if it's been mentioned or forgotten. He raked it in, and made EVERYONE on the field in the area look stupid. It's the best goal I've seen in a final.

Jacko's goal. Everyone said it was shinned, but you need to look closely and realise it's just how he kicks. Dead centre.

I was side on to the kick and when it left his boot I cringed. Jacko's arse was almost touching the turf. A weird set shot kicking action but a great result. It was fading right though another five metres out and who knows.

jazzadogs
11-01-2023, 11:44 AM
Pretty much this, although for me the GF day was pretty special. I didn't attend the PF (I was heading to USA the day after the Grand Final so I needed to save for it) and the whole GF experience from the minute I woke up was basically Hollywood perfection. Sharing the day with my dad, good mate and his brother was special.

Having said that, the PF was a rollercoaster of emotions. I almost had to leave the room because I couldn't take it and that's never happened before or since.

It's Grand Final day for me. I was living overseas for the prelim, watching by myself on sketchy wifi, but arrived back in Melbourne and got to sit with my family at the game.

I will always feel like I missed a key Bulldog supporter experience by not being in Sydney for the prelim.

mjp
11-01-2023, 11:53 AM
I will always feel like I missed a key Bulldog supporter experience by not being in Sydney for the prelim.

Same.

In the 2016 finals I was at the Eagles game (obviously), flew to Melbourne for Hawthorn, stayed home for the prelim, flew back for the GF.

Since then, I have rewatched the GF a couple of times, have never given the Eagles or Hawks game a second glance...but must have watched the prelim 20+ times...it's just a great game of footy.

I didn't enjoy the GF than much. I was on edge all day and yeah, celebrate...but it was more relief. Those feelings flood back when I watch it again so it just isn't as fun as the prelim.

bornadog
11-01-2023, 12:22 PM
Same.

In the 2016 finals I was at the Eagles game (obviously), flew to Melbourne for Hawthorn, stayed home for the prelim, flew back for the GF.

Since then, I have rewatched the GF a couple of times, have never given the Eagles or Hawks game a second glance...but must have watched the prelim 20+ times...it's just a great game of footy.

I didn't enjoy the GF than much. I was on edge all day and yeah, celebrate...but it was more relief. Those feelings flood back when I watch it again so it just isn't as fun as the prelim.

Eagles and Hawks games were also great games (not as good as prelim) as we smashed both teams. You should go back and watch them with some great highlights, especially Liam Picken and his opportunistic goals. The player of the series in my opinion.

I missed the Eagles game as I expected us to lose and I wasn't going to go all the way to Perth to see another drubbing. Eagles were in hot form winning the previous 10 or so games. When the game kicked off and Eagles were seemingly on top, I thought he we go again, but then it happened and we turned it on and the Eagles were gone.

The Hawks game in front of our biggest crowd since 1961 GF had an amazing atmosphere. I remember at the end of the game, my mates and I were walking out but then we heard a massive roar and singing. Raced back up to see on the big screen, the cameras were in the rooms and the players singing the song. The crowd that stayed back were also singing - it was incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWcwDhYTh2U

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-01-2023, 12:32 PM
I never thought we were a chance in 2016 until we got to the prelim.
The first two finals were free hits for me emotionally, as I fully expected us to get reamed in Perth and having done the unexpected there, I was expecting the Hawks to belt us the next week.
Then the nerves really kicked in, because there was now some belief and even expectation and hope in my mind going into the Prelim.
Those last few minutes of the 2016 game were some of the most nerve-wracking minutes of my life thus far.
I just could not believe it when the final siren came..

The GF was great, but for me I'd never seen us get beyond a prelim..so for me the 2016 Prelim was the seminal game for me..and within that I was still thinking we might lose up until that last play that led to Dickson's mark and shot on goal after siren. When I saw the ball travelling up field and Stringer spotting Dickson's field position up forward, that was the moment I relaxed and I enjoyed the final few seconds of the game safe in the knowledge we were through.

aker39
11-01-2023, 04:27 PM
If you want to reminisce even more, Danny McGinlay and Tom Boyd will be re watching a quarter of each of the 4 finals, with live commentary from those that played in the games. Saturday 11th March

Ozza
16-01-2023, 03:38 PM
1. JJ to the Bont for the goal (Most exciting thing in footy ever).
2. Final play that ends up with Dickson mark.
3. Macrae Goal
4. Relentless team play ending in Caleb goal.
5. Easton Wood mark.
6. Clay Smith's opening goal.
7. Liam Picken smother centre wing
8. Dickson up off the ground goal which leads to Heath Shaw/Libba dust up.
9. Bont fend, hands to Cordy for goal.
10. Clay Smith's 4th just before half time.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-01-2023, 04:12 PM
3. Macrae Goal
5. Easton Wood mark.

That was a big moment. From memory, we were desperate for a goal. King Bont delivered.

Another moment or two that stands out late is McLean. I believe he won a couple of key balls around stoppage/got a free kick.

jeemak
16-01-2023, 07:15 PM
3. Macrae Goal
5. Easton Wood mark.

MJP said you're not allowed to have this one high up.