PDA

View Full Version : Who is your current favourite player and why?

The Bulldogs Bite
10-01-2023, 12:30 PM
This can be a rolling thread, because let's face it, 'favourite player' can change like the wind.

Feel free to add special mentions.

My current favourite player is Aaron Naughton, he's just unlike any player I've seen. The long hair, the headband, the strut, the leap, the marking. He can get me out of my seat by either taking a ridiculous contested mark by flying over 4 opponents when he has no right to, or run down a running defender. My one criticism is that he hasn't quite put it together in a big final (good v Port though), so that's what I want to see.

Special mentions to Bont (love him) and Libba (heartbeat of the club).

I'm also unashamed in my love for Treloar, as when he's breaking lines and kicking goals, we look as good as any side in the comp.

The Doctor
10-01-2023, 12:41 PM
love em all esp the the premiership players. Love watching Bailey Smith

Ryan Gardner would be my favourite at the moment.

weltschmerz
10-01-2023, 12:56 PM
It’s very hard to separate Naughton and Weightman. Naughton is a superstar, love how he goes about it, love how he’s a bit silly and just a bit odd in a very loveable way. Weightman has that huge spirit and energy, just loves playing footy, and has star quality.

Happy Days
10-01-2023, 01:13 PM
Tom Liberatore. In a football world increasingly full of mattress sponsors it’s nice to actually see a bit of yourself in a player.

Grantysghost
10-01-2023, 01:29 PM
Lachie McNeil.

I think it's very obvious why.

Maybe Marra - 'cause he's a nice-a boy.

F'scary
10-01-2023, 01:29 PM
Rory Lobb. Because he was one of the stars of the AFL competition last year and wanted to play for us.

Flamethrower
10-01-2023, 03:49 PM
Tom Liberatore, Buku Khamis, Cody Raak, Izzy Grant and Izzy Pritchard - tend to follow former WRFL players as I have seen many of them play juniors.

If I had to narrow it to one, it'd be Buku.

bornadog
10-01-2023, 04:09 PM
Hard to pick a favourite, but both Bont and Naughton are exciting at the top of their game and bring people through the gate.

EasternWest
10-01-2023, 08:59 PM
Bont lol. As if that's a question.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-01-2023, 09:37 PM
Bont lol. As if that's a question.

I suppose if I included past players, Suckling would have been the obvious choice?

EasternWest
10-01-2023, 10:00 PM
I suppose if I included past players, Suckling would have been the obvious choice?

Nets.

jeemak
10-01-2023, 10:20 PM
Pretty hard to say now that Team Dunkley has left.

Jacko has been an absolute pro and I love him. Not as much as MJP does, but pretty close.

In honesty though they all madden me at times, and are possibly the most frustrating and inside their own head players I've followed!

bornadog
10-01-2023, 11:14 PM
In honesty though they all madden me at times, and are possibly the most frustrating and inside their own head players I've followed!

Aren't all players like that from every team

jeemak
11-01-2023, 12:03 AM
Aren't all players like that from every team

I think ours have had a penchant for it more than I've seen from others but that might just be because I follow the Dogs......and don't watch enough of the others.

Eastdog
11-01-2023, 12:21 AM
I would say right now Libba. Has been fantastic the last couple of seasons.

Mofra
11-01-2023, 10:07 AM
Libba - I just like the weird ones.
CD right up there too. I think he has the best change of direction in the competition and his kicking is phenomenal.

Bulldog4life
16-01-2023, 03:46 PM
Libba - I just like the weird ones.
CD right up there too. I think he has the best change of direction in the competition and his kicking is phenomenal.

Put CD up there with Libba snr and Wee Georgie as my favourite small men to pull on the doggies jumper.

comrade
17-01-2023, 12:50 AM
King Bont followed by Libba, Naughts and Caleb. I also like seeing Gardy doing well.

It’s a pretty likeable group overall, especially so now that Dunks and Hunter have gone.

dog town
17-01-2023, 05:49 AM
Macrae has been my favourite since 2016. Love his consistency, vision and toughness.

whythelongface
17-01-2023, 06:46 AM
Bailey Dale - love his run and carry and his passing from the HB. Takes the game on and isn’t afraid to make a mistake or two. Plus his goal kicking is a delight.

Smads57
18-01-2023, 10:30 PM
Can’t go past Libba for mine. His dad was also a fave back in the day.

1eyedog
23-01-2023, 11:36 AM
Bailey Williams is my favourite. When he's up and about we look better. I love his attributes he can run, he is a penetrating kick, knows how to kick a goal and is tough and unassuming. Also really effective in the air. I'm hoping we get a good, consistent version of him this year because it's his time. Richards would be a very close second for very similar reasons.

Happy Days
23-01-2023, 11:47 AM
Bailey Williams is my favourite. When he's up and about we look better. I love his attributes he can run, he is a penetrating kick, knows how to kick a goal and is tough and unassuming. Also really effective in the air. I'm hoping we get a good, consistent version of him this year because it's his time. Richards would be a very close second for very similar reasons.

The thing I really like about Williams that I can’t fully explain is that he carries himself like someone who has been a gun at footy his whole life. Just something about his personality.

MrMahatma
23-01-2023, 12:36 PM
Libba.

An amazing talent, a never say die competitor, a leader, a heart and soul player, with a chunk of "life's too short to be too serious all the time" chucked in. He makes me literally smile time after time when I watch him go at it.

Jeanette54
26-01-2023, 01:29 PM
Libba, no contest.

Like his father he is the barometer of our performance. I love his in your face contested style, and how he converts static stoppages to free flow plays with his out of stoppage disposals to advantage.

I used to love Robodog on our jumpers, but when they got rid of him we could have replaced him with a portrait of Libba. He is that much a true Bulldog.

F'scary
26-01-2023, 01:45 PM
I have switched to Bailey Smith because he seems to fly under the radar with everyone.

jazzadogs
26-01-2023, 03:08 PM
I love Bont, Naughts, Libba just like everyone else.

My less common favourites are Rhylee West (Scott West was my first favourite player, so I think I have a subsequent soft spot for Rhylee, but I also just love the ferocity of his attack on the ball and the man. I loved his little hot patch in the middle of the year and I'm bullish about his 2023 prospects) and Ed Richards (loved his courage and skill in the air this year, combined with his speed and kicking skills)

Grantysghost
26-01-2023, 03:39 PM
I have switched to Bailey Smith because he seems to fly under the radar with everyone.

Plus he's now gone from Frydenberg to woke.

F'scary
27-01-2023, 12:01 AM
Plus he's now gone from Frydenberg to woke.

In time he may blossom into a full Teal.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-01-2023, 02:09 PM
Bont to me occupies a special place.
He seemed restricted by injury last year.
My predominant feeling about Marcus is he won us a premiership and can do it again. A team with Bont in it has a guranteed winner and contributor linking play.
Bont is my fav because of all players we can least afford to lose him.
Other fav's are Gardner, Lobb in hope and Marra in potential.
Overall I would say I have a pretty even spread of love for the whole team lets face it.
Big Tim, what is not to love.
Bugger it, Libba is my fav by a country mile, heart and soul FFC.
Late mention to our VFL premiership star Liam Jones our prodigal son, coming back better.

Scraggers
27-01-2023, 06:11 PM

These are my two in order as well.

doggies ftw
28-01-2023, 02:08 PM
I just can’t go past Naughty, I think it’s underrated how good he is and has been for his age. He’s on track to be one of our best ever forwards IMO and hands down the best key forward in the comp.

But more for me it’s the joy he brings to watch him play footy. The infectious energy at ground level, the ridiculously chaotic high flying marking, the extreme athletic profile combined with his raw strength, and his intent to play on and keep the ball moving towards goal at all times.

He plays the way footy should be played

Matjoh
09-02-2023, 07:43 PM
Oh, Macrae usually but now neck and neck with Libba[esp the last two years]. Both get in and under and distribute. Special mentions to the astronaut for what he can do so uncannily,weightman for enthusiasm and effort and Dale for such precision kickouts.

bornadog
09-02-2023, 07:55 PM
Oh, Macrae usually but now neck and neck with Libba[esp the last two years]. Both get in and under and distribute. Special mentions to the astronaut for what he can do so uncannily,weightman for enthusiasm and effort and Dale for such precision kickouts.

We do have some exciting players

Stevo
09-02-2023, 08:01 PM

Both of them are determined types and are the heartbeat of our midfield. Ive never seem someone in the red, white and blue who can rack up possessions week after week like Macrae and Libba is the guy you want at a stoppage. I cant split them in what they bring our club.

1eyedog
14-02-2023, 12:34 AM
Both of them are determined types and are the heartbeat of our midfield. Ive never seem someone in the red, white and blue who can rack up possessions week after week like Macrae and Libba is the guy you want at a stoppage. I cant split them in what they bring our club.

Scott West / Simon Atkins?

muzzyahoy
15-02-2023, 04:53 AM
Bont and CD. Just love players that find a way to create their own time and space. They both have such a knack of being able to slow the game down around them.

Jasper
15-02-2023, 08:37 AM
Bont and CD. Just love players that find a way to create their own time and space. They both have such a knack of being able to slow the game down around them.

Hard to go past Bont but I have a soft spot for Macrae and Treloar.

Boots
15-02-2023, 10:28 AM
I think it will always be Bont for me, as boring a choice that that is. I've had a bunch of other faves who I enjoy watching, but it's Bont's calm demeanour, quiet confidence, and humility that I enjoy. Also he seems like a really nice bloke to boot.

He's on a very short list of blokes who I am terrified will do something awful to a woman one day, not because I actually think they will, but because I especially couldn't bear it if he did. That sounds like faint praise but really it's just a twisted form of hope.

Also because of this, which is my favourite niche meme:

Honourable mentions in the 'nice guy' category include Bruce, Treloar. In the 'insane/beast' category it's obviously Libba, but I really enjoyed watching Stringer until he really turned into an ass.

Bulldog4life
15-02-2023, 12:35 PM
I think it will always be Bont for me, as boring a choice that that is. I've had a bunch of other faves who I enjoy watching, but it's Bont's calm demeanour, quiet confidence, and humility that I enjoy. Also he seems like a really nice bloke to boot.

He's on a very short list of blokes who I am terrified will do something awful to a woman one day, not because I actually think they will, but because I especially couldn't bear it if he did. That sounds like faint praise but really it's just a twisted form of hope.

Honourable mentions in the 'nice guy' category include Bruce, Treloar. In the 'insane/beast' category it's obviously Libba, but I really enjoyed watching Stringer until he really turned into an ass.

Yep a lot of us could say that. Well put.

DISHLICKERS
15-02-2023, 02:54 PM
Libba - A footballer who could play in any era 60's, 70's, 80's, 90"s etc

His football nous and what he means to the team is so important and he is a joy to watch

Critter
16-02-2023, 11:09 AM
It's hard to go past heart players who match effort with skilled execution. This probably covers most of the team but my particular favourite is Libba. With Cody fast joining him.

bornadog
16-02-2023, 02:48 PM
It's hard to go past heart players who match effort with skilled execution. This probably covers most of the team but my particular favourite is Libba. With Cody fast joining him.

I love Cody's enthusiasm especially after a goal is kicked and doesn't matter who kicked it. Bruce was the same in 2021. We missed him in 2022.

Daughter of the West
16-02-2023, 04:53 PM

All of this.

I have told my 7 year old that if he is ever to model himself on an AFL player, it is only allowed to be The Bont.

Go_Dogs
16-02-2023, 08:37 PM
I’ve purposely avoided this because it’s so hard to narrow down a favourite player.

Bont an obvious choice.

Libba another.

I wore a JJ badge to the 2016 GF, has always been a favourite.

Naughts, Marra, Cody, The Big Chilli Bush… CD, Dale…

Hmmmmm

If forced to pick just one, I’m buying somewhat low on King Darce. May his stocks soar in the future

letoucan
17-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Jack Macrae, not just a stat padder like he's sometimes made out in the media. Top of the score involvements for mids and arguably most consistent player in the comp over past 5 years. Don't think we ever got to see his full potential with Dunkley/Libba playing more in and under.

ledge
19-02-2023, 10:56 PM
Libba . But if your talking future I am all over Darcy. Kids got it in spades, must say his body worries me early injury wise but fingers crossed he can build up without missing many games.

Dazza
20-02-2023, 03:07 PM
Libba . But if your talking future I am all over Darcy. Kids got it in spades, must say his body worries me early injury wise but fingers crossed he can build up without missing many games.

I'm very much the same. Libba is just an all round great footballer and flies the flag for his team mates whenever the time calls. I feel like he's underrated outside of the club

Dazza
20-02-2023, 03:12 PM
As for the girls it's hard to go past Ellie Blackburn. Genuine star of the comp and a loyal player in a messy competition

1eyedog
21-02-2023, 12:04 AM
Ellie is a star

BornInDroopSt'54
21-02-2023, 04:03 PM
Josh Dunkley butter-would-not-melt-in-my mouth for leaving us and making way for Caleb Daniel to get Dunkley's possessions and put the ball down the throat of our forwards.

JanLorMill
21-02-2023, 07:35 PM
The Bont

Generation West
22-02-2023, 09:59 AM
The Bont. A star on and off the field. Could be the greatest bulldog of all time at the end of his career. Yes, in the same conversation as EJ and Grant.

MrMahatma
22-02-2023, 02:32 PM
The Bont. A star on and off the field. Could be the greatest bulldog of all time at the end of his career. Yes, in the same conversation as EJ and Grant.

Could be. If he can get us a 2nd flag then very likely. If he also wins a Brownlow as well then for sure. All will happen this season!