PDA

View Full Version : Which player is first to get a game?

bornadog
11-01-2023, 10:53 AM
The following players haven't played AFL yet.

Which player do you think will be first to make their debut and will it be this year?

Busslinger, Jedd
Clarke, Charlie
Gallagher, Harvey
Jones, Arthur
Raak, Cody R

MrMahatma
11-01-2023, 11:00 AM
Clarke

This needs to be a poll.

GVGjr
11-01-2023, 11:09 AM
The following players haven't played AFL yet.

Which player do you think will be first to make their debut and will it be this year?

Clarke, Charlie
Gallagher, Harvey
Jones, Arthur
Raak, Cody R

Have you excluded Busslinger for any particular reason?

bornadog
11-01-2023, 11:17 AM
Have you excluded Busslinger for any particular reason?

Thanks, cut and paste mistake :o

1eyedog
11-01-2023, 11:18 AM
Yeah Charlie Clarke will get first taste, I can see him being played for his energy alone not to mention he has a skill set applicable to a position of need.

bornadog
11-01-2023, 11:18 AM
Clarke

This needs to be a poll.

Good idea. GVGjr, is that possible to edit?

GVGjr
11-01-2023, 11:27 AM
Good idea. GVGjr, is that possible to edit?

I think you need to start another thread. It doesn't look like I can add a poll to an existing thread.

hujsh
11-01-2023, 01:26 PM
Clarke is seed one but Gallagher's impressive aerobic capacity, footskills, versatility and being a bit older makes him a pretty close second IMO.

mjp
11-01-2023, 01:50 PM
I think Gallagher.

Grantysghost
11-01-2023, 01:55 PM
Jones.

For no reason I can think of other than I reckon we will want to give him a debut at some point.

Still not sure where his best position is. Hopefully not an in between player as he seems like a really likeable kid.

F'scary
11-01-2023, 02:32 PM
I'm going to go with Harvey Wallbanger too. He is an overage NAB Cup draftee, he will be 19 and a half by Round 1. He was the captain of Sandhurst FC and seems to have a very mature outlook on his footy career. I suspect he has the skill set, versatility and the ability to rack up possessions in the VFL to catch the eye of the match committee pretty quickly.

Mofra
11-01-2023, 03:53 PM
Jones and Gallagher seem the most advanced.
We brought in a mature wing option, so that pushes Jones back a bit.

I'll go Gallagher as Duryea may not be too durable this year and our young smaller/medium defenders have often gotten a game or two early (e.g. Butler, Clearly)

mjp
11-01-2023, 07:06 PM
I'll go Gallagher as Duryea may not be too durable this year and our young smaller/medium defenders have often gotten a game or two early (e.g. Butler, Clearly)

It's a clear role. Go and play on 'him'. Pretty easy for a young player to understand and fit in.

GVGjr
11-01-2023, 07:18 PM
I suspect it will be a race between Clarke and Gallagher. Whoever can get through January with the least amount of interrupted training sessions will get their nose in front. I'll go with Gallagher.

GVGjr
11-01-2023, 07:19 PM
Added a poll by merging 2 threads.

Stevo
11-01-2023, 07:56 PM
If we start strongly none of them should get a game. Clarke will though at some point.

Jasper
11-01-2023, 10:24 PM
I think it will be Clarke.

bornadog
11-01-2023, 11:54 PM
Added a poll by merging 2 threads.

Thankyou.

I voted Gags

weltschmerz
12-01-2023, 01:23 PM
From training today, I really rated Clarke’s forward craft.

Axe Man
12-01-2023, 01:27 PM
How come Jones isn't a poll option?

Happy Days
12-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Sight unseen I would’ve thought Clarke too. He has lesser competition to get past and if we’re to put any stock in the draft as a player rating tool he is theoretically better than the other options.

MrMahatma
12-01-2023, 03:30 PM
I'm going to go with Harvey Wallbanger too. He is an overage NAB Cup draftee, he will be 19 and a half by Round 1. He was the captain of Sandhurst FC and seems to have a very mature outlook on his footy career. I suspect he has the skill set, versatility and the ability to rack up possessions in the VFL to catch the eye of the match committee pretty quickly.

For a second I was thinking to myself "Gee... I'm not switched on, I didn't realise we recruited a guy called Wallbanger - that's a ripping name!"

bornadog
12-01-2023, 04:02 PM

Looks like missed

F'scary
12-01-2023, 04:20 PM
For a second I was thinking to myself "Gee... I'm not switched on, I didn't realise we recruited a guy called Wallbanger - that's a ripping name!"

I should have written Harvey "Wallbanger" Gallagher.

GVGjr
12-01-2023, 06:18 PM

All fixed

whythelongface
12-01-2023, 06:23 PM
I would go with Charlie Clarke. Looks ready to go. In saying that Gallagher may also get a game if Duryea is injured.

On another note where did the nickname for Gallagher come from? Is it the cocktail or the band the Wallbangers that featured Mick Harvey? Assuming it is the cocktail. (Is the nickname a WOOF nickname or one that already existed?).

GVGjr
12-01-2023, 06:26 PM
I would go with Charlie Clarke. Looks ready to go. In saying that Gallagher may also get a game if Duryea is injured.

On another note where did the nickname for Gallagher come from? Is it the cocktail or the band the Wallbangers that featured Mick Harvey? Assuming it is the cocktail. (Is the nickname a WOOF nickname or one that already existed?).

I 'think' it's a name that was just stumbled upon here. I'm not 100% certain but I think I heard someone call him Gags today.

bornadog
12-01-2023, 06:28 PM
Thankyou.

I voted Gags

I 'think' it's a name that was just stumbled upon here. I'm not 100% certain but I think I heard someone call him Gags today.

Wasn't from me was it :D

FrediKanoute
13-01-2023, 02:59 AM
I think Gallagher.

The Salty BUlldogs guys really rate him.

Axe Man
13-01-2023, 10:25 AM

Everyone I have known with the surname Gallagher has been called Gags and I actually have no idea why that's a thing.

mjp
13-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Everyone I have known with the surname Gallagher has been called Gags and I actually have no idea why that's a thing.

I think Liam gets called Liam and Noel is Noel. :-)

People voting for Clarke - I sorta get it. But can you please tell me who he is selected ahead of.

Forward line:

Naughton, JUH, Lobbe, Bruce, Weightman, JJ, Garcia, West, B. Smith, Hannan, Khamis, Bedendo...

I just can't see how an inexperienced 18yo is selected right now.

Do I think there is some unique stuff about his skillset that fits? Yep.
Do I think he can bridge the gap between playing under-age footy with the 3-2 rule to playing senior footy with its 'empty out' mentality and somehow learn to re-position on the fly...not a chance in hell.

I sort of hope you're right because a genuine small forward is something we still lack but I can't see how he does this in a single off-season with a log-jam of players ahead of him.

Bulldog Joe
13-01-2023, 01:53 PM

People voting for Clarke - I sorta get it. But can you please tell me who he is selected ahead of.

Forward line:

Naughton, JUH, Lobbe, Bruce, Weightman, JJ, Garcia, West, B. Smith, Hannan, Khamis, Bedendo...

Do I think he can bridge the gap between playing under-age footy with the 3-2 rule to playing senior footy with its 'empty out' mentality and somehow learn to re-position on the fly...not a chance in hell.

I sort of hope you're right because a genuine small forward is something we still lack but I can't see how he does this in a single off-season with a log-jam of players ahead of him.

I went with Clarke because I feel he brings something different to all the other forward options.

He appears as the genuine crumber with forward nous.

He isn't a midfielder trying to shoe horn into a forward and he isn't a marking player flying against all those other marking options.

mjp
13-01-2023, 01:54 PM
He isn't a midfielder trying to shoe horn into a forward and he isn't a marking player flying against all those other marking options.

Yeah, I get that (100%) but he's going from playing IN the forward line due to the 3-2 rule to basically playing up the ground as happens to all forwards at AFL level. It's a big adjustment.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-01-2023, 01:55 PM

Forward line:

To be fair none of Garcia, West, Hannan, Khamis, Bedendo and Jones have shown enough to 'lock down' a spot. If he performs early, he'll be a chance on that fact alone.

There's competition for spots, but the quality of options is still debateable.

Axe Man
13-01-2023, 02:03 PM

That's not what they call each other, but we can't probably publish that in a PG environment.

Bulldog Joe
13-01-2023, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I get that (100%) but he's going from playing IN the forward line due to the 3-2 rule to basically playing up the ground as happens to all forwards at AFL level. It's a big adjustment.

I do appreciate your point and you have more experience with this than most of us (me anyway), but occasionally things click for players coming in.

His point of difference is probably the strongest of the untried players.

hujsh
13-01-2023, 02:21 PM

Forward line:

I get where you're coming from but we see McNeil get games regularly as a pressure forward and while I like him those games could well be snapped up by Clarke this year as a more dangerous version of the same archetype.

All it'd take is some good form and an injury to JJ and one other (Hannan or West for example) with some bad form elsewhere.