PDA

View Full Version : Best Broadcaster and why.

LostDoggy
10-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Thought it would be interesting to find out which broadcaster people prefer to listen to at the footy and watch on the tele when you cant make the match.

I prefer Fox Sports telecasts marginally over ten main reason is because I think they have a better blend of commentators, with the exception of the NBL Guy he is just annoying, and special comments guys and I do like playing around with the fox sports active too.

Radio I prefer the Triple M guys just like the personalities and the colour they add to it. Plus BT always claims our boys as his boys with Gilbee and now Hill which is always good to hear someone impressed with our players.

LostDoggy
10-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Yes BT was such a great forward coach with us.

GVGjr
10-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Ch7 and 10 do a good job with the footy as does Fox. I have no real complaint with the TV coverage. 10 and 7 are nearly the same and I like Fox because there is less interruptions.

As for the radio, MMM would normally be the last one I would listen and I try to avoid 3AW. The ABC then SEN are my preference.

aker39
10-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I listen to 774 ABC on Friday nights, and SEN on the other days (unless Grant Thomas is on). In regards to TV, well we have no choice who we watch, but Channel 7 are crap.

camwoof
10-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Not living in melbourne so unable to pick it up but what is the quality of SEN in broadcasting the game? looking at their line up it doesnt look very big.

camwoof
10-04-2008, 10:33 AM
In Southern Tasmania we get the ABC, the same broadcast as in Melbourne but we also get a feed on another station for Triple M on the day games on Saturday and Sunday. The Saturday crew of Garry Lyon, Brian Taylor, James Brayshaw and Danny Frawley really go well together. Just another question to people, has anyone phoned up previously before or after a game to either let off some steam or pump up the boys?

The Doctor
10-04-2008, 11:05 AM
I quite like Anthony Hudson.

He adds a boyish humour to his calls as well as a nice blend of excitement and accuracy in his calls.

David Schwarz calls it like an oaf.

GVGjr
10-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I quite like Anthony Hudson.

He adds a boyish humour to his calls as well as a nice blend of excitement and accuracy in his calls.

David Schwarz calls it like an oaf.

Hudson cops a fair bit but I agree that his commentary is interesting

Sedat
10-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Huddo calls it like he is actually enjoying his job - some of the other commentators could do well to follow suit.

Cometti forces the vaudeville routine a little too much these days but is still a high quality commentator.

David Schwartz - "(insert player name here) is as brave as brave". But one example of the jibberish that he spouts. I want a special comments man to give some insight into the flow of the game and the key match ups. The Ox gives you no insight whatsoever. I guess when you pay the vast majority of the $780M for the TV rights, you have to cut corners elsewhere hence we have the likes of Olarenshaw and Schwartz contaminating the Channel 7 coverage. McAvaney has been disappointing since he returned as well.

Peter Larkins was by far the best boundary rider - he gives you exactly the information you expect a boundary rider to give without any hyperbole. Other than the Doc, the usefulness of boundary riders will forever remain one of life's great unanswered questions.

The Underdog
10-04-2008, 11:47 AM
As I've said elsewhere, I really like Gerard Whateley and thus the ABc coverage, he has McAvaney's enthusiasm without coming across as a total swot. I also think his opinion's are fairly sensible and balanced. I also enjoy Stan Alves analysis.
I don't mind MMM, I think BT is a very good caller, although I'm no fan of Frawley and the blokiness can get a bit much.
I don't listen to SEN or Aw enough to have a really strong opinion although I've never been a fan of Rex Hunt. His histrionics are too much for me.

As for TV, I don't think Bruce and Dennis has worked but I'm still a fan of Cometti even though he's not what he was. I don't think Schwarz or Watson add much and Olarenshaw still looks like he's just realised his fly is undone. Doc Larkins probably set a standard for boundary riders that noone else has matched.
Channel 10 is fine. I actually really like Hudson and don't really mind Walls or Blight, although both go a little wierd at times. Even an average Tim Lane is better than most. The one who really annoys me is Michael Christian. I just think he's not a particularly good caller and makes some poor mistakes.
I don't have Fox so can't comment there.

bornadog
10-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Radio

Prefer to listen to 774. However, I do not like Parkin and Schwabb on Friday night, they are so anti bulldogs its not funny and I am thinking of complaining to 774 to get rid of them

On Saturday I love Stan Alves special comments and McClure has a dry sense of humour plus good analysis.

TV

I enjoy Fox because no commercials, however, I cannot stand Dwaynes calls (or him). The other bloke (can't remember his name , Matt some one), nice bloke but voice isnot much chop.

Channel 10 is pretty good but I have gone right off Channel 7. Channel 7 donot turn up crowd noise so it sounds boring. McVaney and Commetti are passed it and special comments are weak.

Desipura
10-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Sandy Roberts for mine although he was not on radio. Came accross as very passionate in his call without any bias

Dry Rot
10-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Not the radio 5AA guys.

camwoof
10-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Can anyone remember back when channel seven oringally had the tv rights i think his name was Ian Robertson, He seemed alright i thought. quite passionate

ledge
10-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Ian Robertson played for Carlton a backman i think, in the tough old days
Yeah he did it for quite a while, i love watching the winners on fox when they show old ones and Peter Landy was doing it, his hair and the way he liked to look important was hysterical, the bloke was a rower i think, whats that got to do with being a footy expert i dont know!

Desipura
10-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Can anyone remember back when channel seven oringally had the tv rights i think his name was Ian Robertson, He seemed alright i thought. quite passionate
I found his passion was for always disputing the umpires, he hated them with passion and annoyed the crap out of me!

bornadog
10-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Ian Robertson played for Carlton a backman i think, in the tough old days
Yeah he did it for quite a while, i love watching the winners on fox when they show old ones and Peter Landy was doing it, his hair and the way he liked to look important was hysterical, the bloke was a rower i think, whats that got to do with being a footy expert i dont know!

He played a couple of games for Footscray as well, in 1974.

The Coon Dog
10-04-2008, 06:30 PM
He played a couple of games for Footscray as well, in 1974.
Spot on! Played 4 games & kicked a goal. Bonus point, what number did he wear? Extra bonus point, who else wore that number in 1974? (Sockeye & A39, no refering to the sooper dooper spreadsheet I sent you).

hujsh
10-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Sen or MMM. All depend on which game they're doing. If both are doing the game the MMM for the proper game and SEN for the talkback ect.

7=Crap (except for Cometti)
10= ok (improves with Huddo)

Haven't watched many sub Gybas Fox yet

Sockeye Salmon
10-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Spot on! Played 4 games & kicked a goal. Bonus point, what number did he wear? Extra bonus point, who else wore that number in 1974? (Sockeye & A39, no refering to the sooper dooper spreadsheet I sent you).

Pick me! Pick me! I know!

I remember Robertson, but I don't remember the other player at all (was he related to the Hawthorn player?).

Robertson took his number, not the other way around. The next year the number was given to a dead set gun from Interstate who didn't stay very long before ending up at another club.

LostDoggy
10-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I enjoy Fox the most, but it will never be the same without Clinton Grybas...channel 10 is to me an obvious but close second. Channel 7 are so far behind the other two stations that it's frustrating- Bruce is not the same as he used to be, Dennis Cometti still has some classic lines but I don't like him that much at 7 (much preferred the 9 team with him) and Schwarz, well, his comments are just bad. I thought Buckley started the season well, and while it's still the start of the season, he's had a bit of time now and hasn't exactly said anything useful. Anthony Hudson is my favourite commentator, he's brilliant- I hate to imagine what channel 7 will do with the Grand Final, Huddo has set a very good standard in the past.