PDA

View Full Version : Dear AFL Media: I am NOT impressed with the size of 'Player X's biceps

mjp
22-01-2023, 01:25 PM
I have no idea what is going on but somehow it seems that the papers are filled at the moment with cheese-cake (I guess they're supposed to be beef-cake) shots of players with visible abs and biceps.

NO. ONE. CARES.
(and further)....IT.DOES.NOT. MATTER.

It 100% doesn't help them play football and whilst it is (I guess) evidence of some dietary discipline over the break...it is equally evidence of a bit of vanity.

Dunks has bigger biceps now? Cool. Been strong was never his problem. Consistently hitting targets by foot? Yeah...a picture of a laser like drop punt would have been more impressive.

I probably shouldn't say much as Bailey Smith is clearly the leader of the pack with regards to 'Man, have you seen the rig on player x' sweepstakes, but it DOES NOT MATTER.

bornadog
22-01-2023, 02:56 PM
Interesting to look at though :D

GVGjr
22-01-2023, 05:49 PM
I have no idea what is going on but somehow it seems that the papers are filled at the moment with cheese-cake (I guess they're supposed to be beef-cake) shots of players with visible abs and biceps.

NO. ONE. CARES.

It 100% doesn't help them play football and whilst it is (I guess) evidence of some dietary discipline over the break...it is equally evidence of a bit of vanity.

Dunks has bigger biceps now? Cool. Been strong was never his problem. Consistently hitting targets by foot? Yeah...a picture of a laser like drop punt would have been more impressive.

I probably shouldn't say much as Bailey Smith is clearly the leader of the pack with regards to 'Man, have you seen the rig on player x' sweepstakes, but it DOES NOT MATTER.

100% agree as there can be a difference between what looks good in the mirror, the camera lens or in media and then how a player performs on the field. Good on players for making the most of their physique but it's unlikely a few extra muscles do that much for a player on the field. Skills with the footy, the ability to run and a footy IQ are vastly more important attributes.

It's wishful thinking but I'd like the media to focus on more than just the appearance of a player.

mjp
22-01-2023, 06:06 PM
Interesting to look at though :D

Just watch a body building contest then...the rigs are better and the ego is on full display...

Mofra
22-01-2023, 06:47 PM
They are normally shots taken at just the right time, at just the right angle, to accentuate the muscle.
Some players lose a few kgs from their playing weight during the season as recovery takes priority over pushing tin

Grantysghost
22-01-2023, 06:59 PM

NO. ONE. CARES.

Click. Bait.

Totally agree, I just stay away from mainstream afl media completely.

GVGjr
22-01-2023, 08:01 PM
They are normally shots taken at just the right time, at just the right angle, to accentuate the muscle.
Some players lose a few kgs from their playing weight during the season as recovery takes priority over pushing tin

There were some picks of Dunks the other day that look like they had been touched up. Agree with GG that there is an element of click bait about some of the pics they keep portraying for their articles.

Stevo
22-01-2023, 11:07 PM
Just watch a body building contest then...the rigs are better and the ego is on full display...

Saddest day in bornadogs AFL life is when they stopped skin-fold tests. :)

jeemak
22-01-2023, 11:09 PM

BAD doesn't need skin fold tests, he's honed his senses over time to the point where he can smell the fat content of AFL players.

Stevo
22-01-2023, 11:17 PM
BAD doesn't need skin fold tests, he's honed his senses over time to the point where he can smell the fat content of AFL players.

Much like my 17 year old daughter he does luv his eye candy.

jeemak
22-01-2023, 11:23 PM
Much like my 17 year old daughter he does luv his eye candy.

BAD loves your 17 year old daughter?

bornadog
22-01-2023, 11:58 PM
BAD loves your 17 year old daughter?

That was is going to far.

Nah can't stand looking at freaks

jeemak
23-01-2023, 12:16 AM
That was is going to far.

Sorry mate.

Stevo
24-01-2023, 11:30 AM
Some of the ways we view players is very superficial. Some forget we should be looking more at how they are performing rather than how they look.

Happy Days
24-01-2023, 11:56 AM

Nah no skin fold tests is good because now you can call players fat with no evidence required

bornadog
24-01-2023, 12:46 PM
Some of the ways we view players is very superficial. Some forget we should be looking more at how they are performing rather than how they look.

That is what the OP is saying - no one wants to worry about how big the muscles are. As you say, how they perform is the most important.

You look at a guy like Jacko, and most supporters from other clubs would rate him as not tough, but I would say he is one of the toughest in our team. He takes hit after hit until he makes his decision.

Grantysghost
24-01-2023, 12:53 PM
That is what the OP is saying - no one wants to worry about how big the muscles are. As you say, how they perform is the most important.

You look at a guy like Jacko, and most supporters from other clubs would rate him as not tough, but I would say he is one of the toughest in our team. He takes hit after hit until he makes his decision.

Absolutely spot on BAD. He holds his disposal a lot of times to benefit the side at the expense of copping a hit.

Never carries on, just gets on with it.

He will be remembered as one of our all time greats. Cunnington, Archer et al get this blokey toughness title from the commentariat; Jacko is as tough as any of them.