PDA

View Full Version : We all LOVE Bevo (of course), but SOMETIMES...

mjp
23-01-2023, 01:04 PM
...he does that ONE THING that drives us crazy.

What is it for you???

bornadog
23-01-2023, 01:16 PM
non ruck in the ruck - if they are short (for ruck size) eg Hannan, or Dunks, Or Bont. I even hate seeing Naughton ruck

Grantysghost
23-01-2023, 01:26 PM
The outside 5. It drove ME SPARE!

I feel like that few seconds after someone takes a mark you want to press right up in their face and halt the flow.

It clearly can't be done all the time, but conceding ground especially in the defensive half I just don't get.

From the TV I get it, looks ok but when you're at ground level playing; someone running up into your face just puts that element of doubt into your mind.

Press! Don't back off.

/rant and hopefully it's gone forever.

jeemak
23-01-2023, 01:34 PM
None of those things worry me.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-01-2023, 01:42 PM
How long have we got?

:D

dog town
23-01-2023, 01:52 PM
I don’t have any issue with the on field options, in isolation some have been concerns in games but there are reasons and nuance behind most of them. I actually think the portrait painted of Bevo being some mad scientist spinning the magnets and trying wild moves is incredibly inaccurate. Every coach in the comp throws players new challenges, ensures they have versatility and can give the side options. I would like him to be more adventurous in some respects not the other way around.

I chose grouchy press conferences. I think his needless clashes with the media, general secrecy and condescending attitude have at times put pressure on him and by extension the playing group. I dislike sections of the media as much as anyone but he picks targets that have friends in high places and ultimately it has been bad for the club. He is intelligent enough to reflect on this and realise that this is not a battle he can win.

Happy Days
23-01-2023, 02:14 PM
My choice isn’t listed but I’d go with filling the last two-three spots in the 22 in a given week with driftwood that he for whatever reason likes the shape of.

Of the options it has to be non-ruckman in the ruck given we’ve been doing it roughly 100% of the time for the last 4 years.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-01-2023, 03:19 PM
I just don't have an issue with any of those things with the right context. I'm confident that Bevo and his crew have supporting data to justify their tactical moves.

GVGjr
23-01-2023, 04:00 PM
Not listed but match committee selections. In the end I went with non ruck man but accepting that at times it's going to happen.

I can live with grumpy press conferences but prefer that he didn't make it so obvious he was pissed off.

and yes, I do love Bevo.

Go_Dogs
23-01-2023, 04:01 PM
The 5m thing got my vote. I’m sure there is a time and place for it, but we did it every. Single. Time.

The press conferences overall are good IMO, but he certainly doesn’t forgive and forget.

dog town
23-01-2023, 04:13 PM
When Bevo does a long form interview or even answers a press conference question from a journalist he likes he is incredibly insightful and engaging, always gives a hint to his thoughts on tactics. That’s the Bevo I want all the time or as often as we can get.

He is going to get peppered with questions on Darcy, Jamarra, use of our talls, loss of Dunkley all year so we need the best version of him. Kane Cornes and co have made it very obvious that they will go after him this year.

Bulldog Joe
23-01-2023, 04:23 PM
I find I can't vote in the poll.

There needs to be other options

All of the Above

and

All of the Above and more.

I could have voted all of the above, but I would need to add more.

Match Committee selections.

The Determination to reinvent the game until the season is almost shot.

The treatment of some matches as insignificant (such as Brisbane 2015, Freo 2016 and others)

Mofra
23-01-2023, 04:28 PM
Non-ruckman in the ruck - Hannan or Buks getting murdered doesn't help us at all.
Track-watchers this pre-season note Naughton was taking ruck contests in the F50 - you don't use a Ferrari to plow a field.

mjp
23-01-2023, 05:13 PM
LOL.

I wanted to add 'Magic Committee Bingo' as an option but figured that is the ultimate 'Bevo-ism' and when it works (like it did particularly in 2015) then it is pure magic.

So I couldn't include that because it is part of what makes Bevo who he is. Outside 5, Caleb at Full-back etc - those are tactical changes that he could EASILY reverse field on. Well, I think he could.

Grantysghost
23-01-2023, 05:40 PM
LOL.

I wanted to add 'Magic Committee Bingo' as an option but figured that is the ultimate 'Bevo-ism' and when it works (like it did particularly in 2015) then it is pure magic.

So I couldn't include that because it is part of what makes Bevo who he is. Outside 5, Caleb at Full-back etc - those are tactical changes that he could EASILY reverse field on. Well, I think he could.

Do you coach outside 5 MJP?

MrMahatma
23-01-2023, 05:47 PM
I quite like his press conferences. People may think he went OTT on Morris but heck, I enjoyed it. Reckon I watched that presser 3 or 4 times.

I'd like the role of Ruck to be looked at differently though.

mjp
23-01-2023, 07:10 PM
Do you coach outside 5 MJP?

From the top of d50 to the centre I do...that ‘control’ zone where the oppo is trying to switch and set up theor attack. Inside d50 I want to press and apply pressure to the kicker - make them feel uncomfortable - and forward of centre I just feel it gives the kicker more angles to work with if you drop back...

Grantysghost
23-01-2023, 07:17 PM
From the top of d50 to the centre I do...that ‘control’ zone where the oppo is trying to switch and set up theor attack. Inside d50 I want to press and apply pressure to the kicker - make them feel uncomfortable - and forward of centre I just feel it gives the kicker more angles to work with if you drop back...

OMG can you apply for an assistant coach job please.

Bullies
23-01-2023, 07:28 PM
His stubborness when he makes a captains choice in selecting players. Some are not up to it but he continues to play them and leave them on the list.

The Underdog
23-01-2023, 07:49 PM
LOL.

I mean, its either Match Committee or his dogged commitment to XS shirts to show off the guns

chef
23-01-2023, 10:40 PM
Non-ruckman in the ruck - Hannan or Buks getting murdered doesn't help us at all.
Track-watchers this pre-season note Naughton was taking ruck contests in the F50 - you don't use a Ferrari to plow a field.
Agree with this most of this but.....

Ferrari do make tractors and other farm equipment haha.

Bumper Bulldogs
23-01-2023, 11:00 PM
Yep like 65% of us. Just play rucks and stop stuffing around Bevo.

jeemak
24-01-2023, 11:35 PM
It's not like we're the only team that has its best forward rucking in the forward fifty.

If we win possession a quick kick to the top of the square can be contested by the taller forward, brought to ground or marked.

Bulldog Revolution
25-01-2023, 01:08 PM
LOL.

This is Bevo in a nutshell

Who could have coaxed such footy out of Fletcher Roberts, Joel Hamling, a Clay Smith held together with elastoplast, Zaine Cordy starting up forward in prelim and granny, backing in rookies McLean and Dunkley

When everyone doubts him, he often doubles down in his belief on a player, or what a player could become - e.g Gardner

mjp
25-01-2023, 01:30 PM
e.g Gardner

Sometimes he sees what no-one else can.

EasternWest
25-01-2023, 02:29 PM
Sometimes he sees what no-one else can.

And sometimes he can't see what everyone else can.

bornadog
25-01-2023, 02:58 PM

Only according to supporters

EasternWest
25-01-2023, 03:17 PM
Only according to supporters

Nah you're right. Zaine Cordy was always the right answer. One ruckman was always the right answer. Apologies for saying something that implies Beveridge might get some things wrong occasionally.

SonofScray
25-01-2023, 03:24 PM
It has to be the ruck issue, an ongoing frustration that exists for me on on a continuum from "Geez this isn't working" to "Danjul."

bornadog
25-01-2023, 03:31 PM
Nah you're right. Zaine Cordy was always the right answer. One ruckman was always the right answer. Apologies for saying something that implies Beveridge might get some things wrong occasionally.

Cordy - who replaces him? We have never had a decent KP

Ruck - who? Please don't say Sweet

azabob
25-01-2023, 04:04 PM
For mine it is grouchy press conferences.

When Bevo is on, he is one of the best footy people to listen to. Too often he gets into us against the world mode.

Having said that, I totally understand why he does it because the amount of times his comments are taken out of context and become click bait.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-01-2023, 04:28 PM

Possible EW, although I think its often a case that we can't see or get access to the data or supporting information that leads Bevo and his staff to settle on a course of action.

Just knowing a bit about how Bevo operated during his time in my organisation, he's not a gut feel kinda guy... he makes decisions based on the information presented. Doesn't mean he gets things right always, but I just don't think that when he does get it wrong its' because he's blind to what others can see.

I do, however, have a suspicion (based on conversations with his previous boss at my work) that his biggest positive trait could also possibly be his biggest weakness at times. His boss once told me that Bevo is loyal to the hilt, and would always support his team, even when it was time to perhaps change tack or cut his losses.

I suspect that once he and his team agree on something, he's loathe to change course until they've exhausted every and all opportunities to make it work. Not out of pure stubbornness per se, but out of belief in his team and their decision making process.

EasternWest
25-01-2023, 08:54 PM
Cordy - who replaces him? We have never had a decent KP

Ruck - who? Please don't say Sweet

In both cases the answer is "an inanimate carbon rod".

Or heaven forbid let's recruit/target players that fill that need so we don't have to play Cordy or Sweet. But yeah nah, all those people (and plenty on this board) commenting loudly and often about our recruiting needs are all wrong and Beveridge is always right.

Possible EW, although I think its often a case that we can't see or get access to the data or supporting information that leads Bevo and his staff to settle on a course of action.

Just knowing a bit about how Bevo operated during his time in my organisation, he's not a gut feel kinda guy... he makes decisions based on the information presented. Doesn't mean he gets things right always, but I just don't think that when he does get it wrong its' because he's blind to what others can see.

I do, however, have a suspicion (based on conversations with his previous boss at my work) that his biggest positive trait could also possibly be his biggest weakness at times. His boss once told me that Bevo is loyal to the hilt, and would always support his team, even when it was time to perhaps change tack or cut his losses.

I suspect that once he and his team agree on something, he's loathe to change course until they've exhausted every and all opportunities to make it work. Not out of pure stubbornness per se, but out of belief in his team and their decision making process.

Maybe you're right and his loyalty is a double edged sword. Hey I love Beveridge, I just can't come at people who think he's above criticism.

hujsh
25-01-2023, 09:47 PM
In both cases the answer is "an inanimate carbon rod".

Or heaven forbid let's recruit/target players that fill that need so we don't have to play Cordy or Sweet. But yeah nah, all those people (and plenty on this board) commenting loudly and often about our recruiting needs are all wrong and Beveridge is always right.

Maybe you're right and his loyalty is a double edged sword. Hey I love Beveridge, I just can't come at people who think he's above criticism.

Like Matthew Lobbe

bornadog
26-01-2023, 12:06 AM
I just can't come at people who think he's above criticism.

Of course he can be criticised, just read all the posts.

comrade
26-01-2023, 09:35 AM
I chose non-ruck in the ruck as it exemplifies our biggest issue over the last 4-5 season: the team has lacked balance - playing too many mids and shoe horning them in the forward line, ruck setup, lack of any defensive intercepting.

It’s partly a recruiting issue too, but when it’s a regular occurrence over a 4-5 year period, the buck stops with Bevo.

GVGjr
26-01-2023, 09:59 AM
I chose non-ruck in the ruck as it exemplifies our biggest issue over the last 4-5 season: the team has lacked balance - playing too many mids and shoe horning them in the forward line, ruck setup, lack of any defensive intercepting.

It’s partly a recruiting issue too, but when it’s a regular occurrence over a 4-5 year period, the buck stops with Bevo.

All coaches need to improvise on match days due to injuries or something not going to plan but we seem to get invested in in what should be a short term fix and roll it out over a period of time. With Lobb it should solve the the support for English challenge during match days by only having 2 genuine ruckman on the list could catch us out.

Jeanette54
26-01-2023, 01:17 PM
I vote for dropping back from the mark. I have yet to see any real advantage in this move.

Unless you consider being 5 meters closer to wherever the ball lands as an advantage.

I get that the new rules reduce the man on the mark to a useless imitation of an inanimate statue, but this practice of regularly giving time and space to the opposition is difficult to accept.

This (to my mind) is not good practice, either in the phone box, or the Tardis.

josie
26-01-2023, 03:45 PM
I’m hoping the giving up 5m on mark is curtailed, especially anywhere close to our defensive 50.

A few things that have puzzled me, hoping with Lade’s extra help and a more harmonious playing group these conundrums are a thing of the past:
1) Puzzling MC selections
2) Inability to try something different to counteract when oppo has a run on
3) Refusal to tag an oppo mid who is tearing us apart.

I still think Bevo is a good coach and I reckon he can take us to a second premiership this year or next.

mjp
26-01-2023, 03:48 PM
I’m hoping the giving up 5m on mark is curtailed, especially anywhere close to our defensive 50.

A few things that have puzzled me, hoping with Lade’s extra help and a more harmonious playing group these conundrums are a thing of the past:

I still think Bevo is a good coach and I reckon he can take us to a second premiership this year or next.

See - I think your points 1 + 3 are just part of 'who he is' - fundamental Bevo 'stuff' that define 'HIS' footy belief system...

Mofra
26-01-2023, 04:06 PM

I think Bevo is a victim of perception sometimes.
People still run with him not being a fan of ruckmen, despite playign two ruckmen for much of his tenure (Camhead / Roughy & Boyd in 2015 & 2016). I'll agree he just doesn't rate immobile tap-only ruckmen, but he's hardly on his own there.

Libba in the 2016 GF begs to differ on the bolded point too - Josh Kennedy was easily BOG in the first half, Libba's job in the second half was a big reason behind us getting over the line.
Wally's last midfield games were run-with roles. He destroyed Heppel one game until rolling his ankle at 3/4 time.

I do think he tries to be 'too clever' sometimes (Wood forward as never going to work) but it can, sometimes, work (e.g. Naughton forward, Dale back. I'm a big fan of playing players to their strengths and sometimes it seems like Bevo doesn't do that.

The Doctor
28-01-2023, 08:48 AM
I went for the grouchy press conferences. This stemmed from 2022 where he seemed so cranky all the time. Clearly he was distracted by something so hopefully he has better support around him this year so he can focus on what he does best, coaching.

I'm not sure if my next point is a Bevo thing of a list management thing but the club's attitude to recruiting ruckmen. I've generally felt under the Bevo reign we have been a ruckman or two short on our list. Consequently we have had to use non ruckmen at critical times in matches. Thats stupid in my opinion. It is one of the most important positions on the ground and I feel our attitude to it has been costly in recent seasons.

GVGjr
28-01-2023, 09:02 AM
I went for the grouchy press conferences. This stemmed from 2022 where he seemed so cranky all the time. Clearly he was distracted by something so hopefully he has better support around him this year so he can focus on what he does best, coaching.

I'm not sure if my next point is a Bevo thing of a list management thing but the club's attitude to recruiting ruckmen. I've generally felt under the Bevo reign we have been a ruckman or two short on our list. Consequently we have had to use non ruckmen at critical times in matches. Thats stupid in my opinion. It is one of the most important positions on the ground and I feel our attitude to it has been costly in recent seasons.

For the second point it's definitely a Bevo thing more than the recruiters. For what is a specialized position and one that can often produce more frequent injuries we should have more depth on our list.

bornadog
28-01-2023, 02:58 PM
For the second point it's definitely a Bevo thing more than the recruiters. For what is a specialized position and one that can often produce more frequent injuries we should have more depth on our list.

The misconception is that Bevo doesn't like ruckman, but as has been stated previously, he likes a particular type of ruckman, ie an English type who are mobile and can play more than just a tap ruckman.

Agree, we should have recruited some developing rucks instead of trying to trade for a ruck that doesn't exist. Like MJP has said many types, we should be drafting, or placing on the rookie list a ruck every year.

GVGjr
28-01-2023, 08:31 PM
The misconception is that Bevo doesn't like ruckman, but as has been stated previously, he likes a particular type of ruckman, ie an English type who are mobile and can play more than just a tap ruckman.

Agree, we should have recruited some developing rucks instead of trying to trade for a ruck that doesn't exist. Like MJP has said many types, we should be drafting, or placing on the rookie list a ruck every year.

It's actually not a misconception it's confirmation. If you only want a certain type of ruckman and for whatever reason year after year you can't identify it or get them to your club then you need to be more flexible and we haven't done that.
We have just 2 ruckman on our list and that is risky and before Lobb gets added to the discussion all of the clubs comments about his recruitment were around him playing alongside of Naughton. He's a match day forward who kicked 36 goals last season and will provide a vastly improved 2nd ruckman support for us.

jeemak
28-01-2023, 08:56 PM
I relented and selected outside five, which is a tactic I actually like in the two offencive thirds of the ground. Laying off close to goal really annoys me.

He doesn't like one trick rucks who aren't highly competent, and that's fair enough. It's a philosophical belief and you have to take it with a few of his others as they are fundamental to his make up. By recruiting and playing Martin it was clear he isn't averse to playing a highly competent traditional ruck (Martin was just too cooked by the time we got him), so putting the blame on him solely for not having another one over the journey isn't right - the recruiting team needs to take some responsibility.

Sedat
31-01-2023, 02:42 PM
No prizes for guessing, but it is his undying loyalty to English as our no.1 ruckman, come hell or high water. It has persisted for 4 years now, has already cost us massively in big finals (and too many H&A games to mention since 2019), and shows no signs of abating (or succeeding). Lobb will minimise the impact of this massive weakness in our structure but it will still remain a net weakness against the best ruck combinations in the business.

It's no coincidence that our absolute best stretch of form in the last 4 years was the first 6 games in 2021 when we had a genuine natural stoppage ruckman, Stef Martin, who was still performing in the general vicinity of his athletic peak - hell, he even did a passable impersonation of his younger self for the PF and half the GF that year. We also looked very potent and multi-dimensional in attack in that stretch when English was up forward causing havoc for decent chunks of those matches. But what would I know?

It's a weakness but also a strength that he has such fierce loyalty to his players.