PDA

View Full Version : How successful will Bruce be playing Back

bornadog
01-02-2023, 05:27 PM
Back to the future for Bruce (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1266161/back-to-the-future-for-bruce)

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2023/01/31/9d82f7f9-0b7c-4e2e-abe6-6d75bb518b80/TR120123MW0909.jpg?width=952&height=592After returning from a knee reconstruction late last winter, Bruce sat down with Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge in his exit meeting last September and pitched an idea to ponder during the off-season.

With the club set to land Fremantle star Rory Lobb during the trade period, and with former No.1 pick Jamarra Ugle-Hagan taking a significant step forward in season two, Bruce suggested he return to where he started his AFL career.

Before the Canberran kicked 50 goals for St Kilda in 2015 – the first of five seasons where Bruce has kicked at least 36 goals – and well before he was coming second in the Coleman Medal when he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in round 21, 2021, Bruce started his career as a key defender at Greater Western Sydney.

That was the role the Saints had in mind when they pinched him from the Giants at the end of 2013, the role he started in at Seaford before Alan Richardson threw him forward in 2015 and changed the trajectory of his career.

But now after an impressive December and January in the bank, the 30-year-old is mounting a case to be selected in the Western Bulldogs' backline when they meet Melbourne on the first Saturday night of the season on March 18.

"It was probably my idea towards the end of last year," Bruce told reporters at the Western Bulldogs' pre-season camp in Portsea on Tuesday afternoon.

"Coming back from my knee injury, I certainly wasn't playing the way I was capable of and certainly didn't have the confidence in my body when I was coming back and playing forward.

"I heard the rumour mill that Rory might be coming to the club and I just felt like I might get ahead of the curve. I had a chat at my exit meeting to the coaches about potentially doing some of pre-season down back and learning my craft down there. They were open to it and it's been a good summer so far."

The Western Bulldogs have been stacked full of midfielders and light on in the key position posts during Beveridge's tenure at the club – the premiership coach has led the Dogs to six finals appearance in eight seasons, recording a club-record 104 wins to date – but the pendulum has swung.

In the space of a trade period, the Western Bulldogs gained two proven stars at either end in unrestricted free agent Liam Jones and Lobb, but lost reigning Charles Sutton Medal winner Josh Dunkley and All-Australian wingman Lachie Hunter.

Pressure for spots is fierce inside the Whitten Oval right now, especially down back. Lobb is set to partner Aaron Naughton and Ugle-Hagan in attack to start the season. But down back, the picture is far from clear. Bruce is one of five key defenders – Sam Darcy, Alex Keath, Ryan Gardner and Jones – fighting for two or three spots in defence.

"All of a sudden we've got a plethora of talls; we've got so many tall forwards and a lot of key backs; there is good competition for spots; there is a lot of good guys playing in the twos team at training. Who knows what the make-up will look like come round one?" Bruce said.

"We've got practice games to get through. The injuries always happen in footy at this time of year. It is healthy. You're never comfortable in your spot; I'm certainly not comfortable right now and I don't think I will be throughout the year."

Bruce has worked closely with dual premiership defender Taylor Duryea and Jones since making the move at the start of pre-season. The trio are half of the six players currently north of 30 at the kennel – Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen and Keath are the others – and have ridden the rollercoaster of life in the AFL.

Last year was a difficult one for Bruce. He returned from 12 months out of the game at a time when the Dogs were outside the eight and fighting to remain in the hunt for September. He struggled to get up to speed at that point of the year, found himself in and out of the team and conceded he was worn out by the time the Bulldogs' season ended in the first week of the finals.

"It was difficult. It almost felt like I'd never played before. I came up against Steven May in my first game and he treated me like a kid. We came through the system together and that was a really weird feeling. But I got a lot of confidence in my body and my knee in particular. I'm really fit again, which is exciting," he said.

"I really had to have a good spell from footy in general this off-season. I had a year in 2020 where I wasn't happy personally and we were in the hub. Then I had the really good year in 2021 and did my knee and I was straight into rehab.

"I just felt the walls were closing in on me a bit in terms of the footy sense, so I just stepped away for probably four to six weeks to be honest. Then got some motivation through a PT and really honed in on my body and mobility and that kind of stuff, just trying to be a bit smarter with the way I’m training; quality over quantity aspect of it."

bornadog
01-02-2023, 05:28 PM
Is this a risky move for Bruce's playing career?

Does he need to play games in VFL before he is picked at CHB?

Axe Man
01-02-2023, 05:46 PM
Is this a risky move for Bruce? Does he need to play games in VFL before he is picked at CHB?

Don't see much risk in it for him. He could clearly see with Lobb coming in he was likely to find himself out of the team as a first choice key forward. Bruce likely isn't in the team as a first choice KPD either but he gives himself a chance at both ends now when others inevitably have injury/form/other issues, potentially opening more opportunities for him during the season.

GVGjr
01-02-2023, 05:53 PM
Is this a risky move for Bruce? Does he need to play games in VFL before he is picked at CHB?

Not sure if it's risky because if he is seen by the MC to be better form than the likes of Jones, Keath and/or Gards to the point where he gets selected then it's a form based selection.
What concerns me at the moment is his disposal skills under pressure and particularly with his right foot. He's super enthusiastic at training and in the games and has a great rapport on the field with Jones in the match sims so he gets a few ticks.
I'm not sure if he is quite ready yet though based on what I've seen.

hujsh
01-02-2023, 06:00 PM
I think he's opening up possibilities for himself so kudos for showing initiative. He should still be capable of playing forward if needed so we'll just see how form and injuries play out

GVGjr
01-02-2023, 06:04 PM
I think he's opening up possibilities for himself so kudos for showing initiative. He should still be capable of playing forward if needed so we'll just see how form and injuries play out

It was a smart move and I can't fault him for the way he goes about his training and match sims. If it doesn't work it wont be due to a lack of effort.

bornadog
01-02-2023, 06:22 PM

When I said risk FOR him, that is what I meant - his playing career. However, he can still go forward, especially if a player goes down injured.

GVGjr
01-02-2023, 06:23 PM
When I said risk FOR him, that is what I meant - his playing career. However, he can still go forward, especially if a player goes down injured.

He might also be used in the 2nd ruck role from time to time.

bulldogfan
01-02-2023, 06:40 PM
He is looking really fit hopefully he goes well in the backline and like Bornadog said if somebody is injured he can go still forward 👍

Go_Dogs
01-02-2023, 08:27 PM
Like that it was Bruce himself who brought it up.

I’m optimistic he can play a meaningful role this season, but I’m not sure he’s a first choice player - a great spare parts utility who will plug holes at both ends as they arise week to week.

MrMahatma
01-02-2023, 09:48 PM
I’m not confident. He’s no mug though and I hope he’ll do ok down back.

1eyedog
01-02-2023, 10:23 PM
Not 100% that Bruce can get off the ground or keep up with any key forward to be honest but I think he could be a servicable 'big bodied' road block in a break glass scenario.

Would love to see him have a good year though.

bulldogtragic
01-02-2023, 10:47 PM
I think I was the first to float the idea on the forum. I think he could be pretty handy on the right opponents.

He’s an experienced player, of a good height and size, who can run all day, handy skills if not great of both feet. Motivated to continue his career in the role. Can play swing man when playing with Darcy, or pinch hit in the ruck in case of breaking glass.

Jones was (May still be an interception king), Keath can be interception and shut down defender. But Bruce could play on a bigger/slower KPF or resting ruckman and I think do a reasonable job. If he can use his athleticism and fitness to provide some counter attack that might be a nice option too.

I’m not going to bet the house on it, but I’m happy with the decision and it hasn’t sounded disastrous to date. So if we can get a ready made, mature KPD to add to Gardner, Jones & Keath - then the KPD stocks might be ok with support from Dale, Williams, Duryea etc. etc. So I’m still happy to see how it goes.

SonofScray
02-02-2023, 05:50 PM
It’s a credit to him that he is prepared to risk his spot and take on a challenge in an area of need for us. Somewhat forced into it, by circumstance, but he could have just settled for getting edged out.

GVGjr
02-02-2023, 05:56 PM
It’s a credit to him that he is prepared to risk his spot and take on a challenge in an area of need for us. Somewhat forced into it, by circumstance, but he could have just settled for getting edged out.

He is certainly incentivized to put in a good year given his contract expires. He will have a "whatever it takes" to his footy assignments this year.

Mantis
03-02-2023, 07:09 AM

I would think we have equal cover at both ends of the ground so perhaps Bruce in training with the defensive group is brought up to speed so he can fill the role, but think he’s ‘next in line’ at both ends…. Or perhaps needed more as a forward if there is form or injury issues with Naughton, Lobb or JUH.

F'scary
03-02-2023, 11:16 AM
Like Gollum, Brucey may yet have a role to play. Jones is a bit of an unknown quantity right now. Keith had a bad season last year. Darcy is still developing and may be best suited as a ruck or ruck/forward in a year or two. After that it is Gardner supported by inexperienced third tall types and slow burn bus driver.

Mofra
05-02-2023, 01:51 PM
Right now Jones & Gardner are ahead of Bruce as KPDs, and I don't think Bruce plays an interceptor role so that's Keath and Darcy ahead of him in that role too - with Khamis/O'Brien arguably stiff competition for that one spot too.

Jones has had 18 months out of the game so there's every chance Bruce gets games this year but it may not be too many.
I suspect we may consider one of Keath or Bruce for a 1 year extension next year if either play more than a handful of games

soupman
05-02-2023, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sceptical about him succeeding there, interestingly for many of the reasons i didn't think Jones would be a good defender.

Think he lacks finesse with his marking, i bad at ground level, and is sloppy by foot, all things Jones had as limitations. Obviously making the switch much older but a chance i guess of making it, although I don't know if i see him being a better option than a fit version of any of Keath, Gardner, Jones or Darcy.

Matjoh
09-02-2023, 02:06 PM
Love Bruce's enthusiasm but its not enough. His after injury comeback was a huge fail. I think he's too slow to trouble good forwards and poor at ground level. Sadly I think he'll only be a spare back/forward after Khamis and even a fit O'brien. Sweet a better stand in ruck too. Could be Bruce's last year.

GVGjr
09-02-2023, 03:25 PM
Love Bruce's enthusiasm but its not enough. His after injury comeback was a huge fail. I think he's too slow to trouble good forwards and poor at ground level. Sadly I think he'll only be a spare back/forward after Khamis and even a fit O'brien. Sweet a better stand in ruck too. Could be Bruce's last year.

I tend to agree but the main challenge for him as a defender is his decision making and his kicking. He's poor on his opposite foot and it takes a while for him to get the ball too his boot. Now as experienced as he is he might be able to make the adjustment but as a defender he might struggle.

AutoFill
09-02-2023, 10:30 PM
I’m a fan of this move. Bruce was drafted to GWS as a key defender, and was picked up by StKilda to play down back as well. I reckon this puts pressure on Keith, and pushes out Gardener. I’ll put it out there that come round one, Jones and Bruce will be out two key defenders, maybe Gardener as a third tall if required, and Keith will be in the Magoos.

GVGjr
09-02-2023, 10:32 PM
I’m a fan of this move. Bruce was drafted to GWS as a key defender, and was picked up by StKilda to play down back as well. I reckon this puts pressure on Keith, and pushes out Gardener. I’ll put it out there that come round one, Jones and Bruce will be out two key defenders, maybe Gardener as a third tall if required, and Keith will be in the Magoos.

He's got a bit of work to do to force his way in but at least we will have plenty of depth. He will play a few roles for us this year.

bornadog
09-02-2023, 11:37 PM

I think Gardner is a lock for best 22

1eyedog
09-02-2023, 11:43 PM
I think Gardner is a lock for best 22

No doubt. Him and Jones and then we have decisions to make.

My preference is that Keath gets first crack at an intercepting role. Keath or Darcy

RedWhite&Blue
14-02-2023, 11:45 AM
He looks extremely fit and has lost the weight to lessen the strain on his knee.
In full flight Bruce is a better forward than Lobb but the question remains if he can capture that 2021 form.
As a backman Bruce is an unknown quantity and he's only a warm body in the ruck.
I think it is easier for a forward to go back rather than the other way around so I'm backing Bruce in to make it work.
Fingers crossed.

letoucan
14-02-2023, 06:48 PM
Think he should be a depth forward, basically Lobb replacement who never plays 22.

muzzyahoy
15-02-2023, 04:47 AM
I think he lacks lateral movement and agility, but moves real well north south, which to me are more forward traits. Like a few others have mentioned, i think he suits more as a backup forward to younger options. I think he will play a similar role within the group to what Schache did last year, just be better at it. I wouldn't chance playing him back personally.

Grantysghost
15-02-2023, 09:15 AM
I think he lacks lateral movement and agility, but moves real well north south, which to me are more forward traits. Like a few others have mentioned, i think he suits more as a backup forward to younger options. I think he will play a similar role within the group to what Schache did last year, just be better at it. I wouldn't chance playing him back personally.

This makes a lot of sense. Welcome aboard mate. I'm a raptors fan too, well was the year we had Kawhi so I'm really a fair weather supporter.
Keep one eye on them.

Bulldog4life
15-02-2023, 12:39 PM
I would think we have equal cover at both ends of the ground so perhaps Bruce in training with the defensive group is brought up to speed so he can fill the role, but think he’s ‘next in line’ at both ends…. Or perhaps needed more as a forward if there is form or injury issues with Naughton, Lobb or JUH.

Yep all makes sense.

Jeanette54
15-02-2023, 01:00 PM
I would play Bruce (as a backman) against the gorillas, where his experience and strength could come to the fore. Tom Hawkins, for example, takes so many unattended chest marks because he does all the necessary bodywork before the ball arrives. Pretty hard to move (a fit) Josh off his intended contest. Of course, now Cordy has gone, a bit of mongrel in the backline won't hurt us either.

Dazza
20-02-2023, 03:13 PM
I can't see it working out but I'm hopeful it does.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-02-2023, 11:09 PM
I can't forget his big hauls as a forward and hope he can find a spot somewhere.

Mantis
21-02-2023, 12:08 PM
I can't forget his big hauls as a forward and hope he can find a spot somewhere.

He's been with us for 3 years (47 games) and he's kicked 4 or more goals on just 3 occasions.. 2 of these were against the worst performed team (North) through this time so with more depth in the forward line and coming off the knee injury it's clear he is at the back of queue.

MrMahatma
05-03-2023, 10:30 AM
Got a bit of it in the practice match and duly butchered it leading directly to simple goals on a number of occasions.

Not sure if time in defence fixes the issues he has. A real concern if we’re relying on him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-03-2023, 10:36 AM
I agree, If we're relatively injury free this year in defense and up forward, Bruce may struggle to remain relevant.
He will need to make the most of his opportunities as injuries keep him in the mix for the 22, otherwise he could quickly find himself struggling to have a regular first 22 role this season.

ledge
05-03-2023, 10:57 PM
Poor Bruce had some shockers yesterday . They do stick out more in defence . Hopefully it was just one of those days and at least it was only a practice match or some supporters would have lost their shit .

FrediKanoute
05-03-2023, 11:12 PM
Thought he was ok. Competed well and did his job. Errors were exposed and he will learn. As a backup he is more than serviceable.

bulldogtragic
09-04-2023, 09:13 AM
How do you rate his first month back in the (old) men’s club? afl.com.au match report has him in our bests from yesterday.

1eyedog
09-04-2023, 09:18 AM
How do you rate his first month back in the (old) men’s club? afl.com.au match report has him in our bests from yesterday.

I thought he's been OK across the first three rounds. He did some ok things yesterday in terms of his positioning and thought he was switched on defensively but he made some critical errors. The conditions didn't suit him.

Not sure why we went with three tall backs last night was a weird decision I thought given the conditions and the lack of quality talls in Richmond's forward line.

azabob
09-04-2023, 09:25 AM

He hasn’t been great, hasn’t been terrible. I would’ve taken that in the pre season.

SquirrelGrip
09-04-2023, 09:34 AM
How do you rate his first month back in the (old) men?s club? afl.com.au match report has him in our bests from yesterday.

He has definitely surpassed expectations and played a key role in our new Monsters of the Maribyrnong setup.

Thought it was interesting last night that at the first bounce, Keath went to Lynch and Jones to Martin. Bruce isn?t the one going to the opposition?s stud tall forward. And Jones is seen as having the defensive nouse and foot speed to go with the Dusty type.

lemmon
09-04-2023, 09:46 AM
He has definitely surpassed expectations and played a key role in our new Monsters of the Maribyrnong setup.

Thought it was interesting last night that at the first bounce, Keath went to Lynch and Jones to Martin. Bruce isn?t the one going to the opposition?s stud tall forward. And Jones is seen as having the defensive nouse and foot speed to go with the Dusty type.

Bevo mentioned after Round 1 that Bruce is down there to play an 'intercepting' role. Think he's given the least dangerous forward so that it frees him up to come off his man and help in the air - can see that in some of the aggressive decisions he's making as well to leave his man.

Think he's making a fist of something he's not hugely suited to. I'd prefer someone more mobile and safer by foot in the spot, but he's trying his guts out and keeping Gardiner/O'Brien/Buku out of the side at the moment.

GVGjr
09-04-2023, 09:52 AM

He's gotten a bit better each week so I think he is earning his spot.

SonofScray
09-04-2023, 10:00 AM

OK.

He is going to get burnt out the back if he is up against a player who can get their feet moving. He is going to turn over the footy a bit with his less than surgeon like kicking and fast, instinctive release of the footy by hand.

He is going to keep giving a strong physical contest in the air and in the clinches. He will win some important battles.

Appreciate the effort he is putting in and that it’s an adjustment for him, so let’s see if we can build on OK form towards solid and reliable.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 11:40 AM
A few times last night, both Bruce and Jones went the big punch instead of trying to mark the ball even though they were clear of their opponent. Given the conditions, I didn't mind this.

I think Bruce has been pretty good in the backline so far, and it is great to have some big boys there, compared to the past.

Go_Dogs
09-04-2023, 11:49 AM
He's gotten a bit better each week so I think he is earning his spot.

I agree. I thought he was good last night. He?s getting a better feel for the game now, and had a few critical contests where he made the right decision. Ball use still a concern but I?m rating this move overall.

derb
10-04-2023, 05:24 PM
I don't know what his exact ball use efficiency is but to the eye it does not look that bad.

bornadog
10-04-2023, 05:27 PM
I don't know what his exact ball use efficiency is but to the eye it does not look that bad.

71%, which is pretty good

azabob
10-04-2023, 06:15 PM

71%, which is pretty good

Bruce is playing within his means.

Four of our defenders can’t be trusted to be attacking with their kicks including Bruce.

bornadog
10-04-2023, 07:44 PM
Bruce is playing within his means.

Four of our defenders can’t be trusted to be attacking with their kicks including Bruce.

Maybe that is not his role. His role is to perhaps negate the opposition talls and get the ball to ground for Dale, Ed, Caleb, Duryea to take the ball away.

azabob
10-04-2023, 07:46 PM
Maybe that is not his role. His role is to perhaps negate the opposition talls and get the ball to ground for Dale, Ed, Caleb, Duryea to take the ball away.

It was a compliment to Bruce. He understands his limitations.

I’m actually pleasantly shocked how well he’s played.

MrMahatma
10-04-2023, 09:21 PM
He’s been ok. Prob about what I expected, maybe slightly fewer clangers.

Mistakes stand out in D50 and he fumbles a lot, doesn’t mark as much as he should, and his disposal is suspect.

That said, I also think he’ll still improve with a few more matches and am glad he’s playing.