PDA

View Full Version : Our Tactical Sub candidates for 2023

GVGjr
01-02-2023, 08:26 PM
So a slight change in the sub rule for the 2023 season which allows the club to bring in their sub when it suits them and the don't need to necessarily have an injured player.

The question is how creative are we likely to be in our use of the tactical sub and which players might be the best candidates.

To me Mitch Hannan could be one of the better candidates for us given his versatility
Could Oscar Bakers pace really be effective in the 2nd half of games?
Could Treloar be eased into the home and away season after a difficult preseason by being an impact player off the bench?
Would Riley Garcia versatility appeal? And what about Khamis who despite impressing as a forward can cover a lot pf positions?

Who do you see as the best candidates and why?

Go_Dogs
01-02-2023, 08:33 PM
I think it could be any number of players, Buku is a personal preference, I suspect players like Hannan, Scott will be others who are very much in the team first, versatile mould that may get selected for the role too.

Jasper
01-02-2023, 10:58 PM
Khamis, Scott and McComb are a few that stand out. Hannan fits the brief but you know Bev is going to play him in the best 22.

MaXiBoNt
01-02-2023, 11:20 PM
Josh Bruce wouldn't be the worst option given his new found versatility. Would obviously leave us extremely tall if a mid was get injured.

However he would be extremely handy if we were to lose a key forward, back or god forbid Timmy.

Could also be a decent tactical sub late in a game if Jamarra or Darcy are gassed.

GVGjr
01-02-2023, 11:22 PM
Josh Bruce wouldn't be the worst option given his new found versatility. Would obviously leave us extremely tall if a mid was get injured.

However he would be extremely handy if we were to lose a key forward, back or god forbid Timmy.

Could also be a decent tactical sub late in a game if Jamarra or Darcy are gassed.

There is an element of risk about it especially if a mid was subbed out early but he does provide a number of options and could even provide a chop out in the ruck.

lemmon
01-02-2023, 11:26 PM
Left field but I'd be having a think about whether Sam Darcy would be a good option.

Doesn't seem like he's ready for four quarters of footy yet, but he changed the game in five minutes when thrown forward against the Hawks. I think it'd be a nightmare for opposition coaches to have a 206cm gazelle brought on it at 3/4 time when you don't really have a match-up for him. Also offers good defensive cover if necessary.

Jasper
01-02-2023, 11:26 PM

Good points identified there Maxi. How often do the taller players get used as a sub? I seem to recall Brisbane getting caught out with it last year.

Jasper
01-02-2023, 11:29 PM
Left field but I'd be having a think about whether Sam Darcy would be a good option.

Doesn't seem like he's ready for four quarters of footy yet, but he changed the game in five minutes when thrown forward against the Hawks. I think it'd be a nightmare for opposition coaches to have a 206cm gazelle brought on it at 3/4 time when you don't really have a match-up for him. Also offers good defensive cover if necessary.

Im thinking out loud here but if we went into a game with 3 + 3 in terms of tall forwards and defenders and lost a midfielder how could we use Darce?

lemmon
01-02-2023, 11:35 PM
Im thinking out loud here but if we went into a game with 3 + 3 in terms of tall forwards and defenders and lost a midfielder how could we use Darce?

It's a risk and would mean a change of structure, but it might mean someone like Weightman plays on-ball which we seem to be experimenting with, and Darcy slots in forward. Definitely a roll of the dice!

bornadog
01-02-2023, 11:36 PM
We used McComb alot last year as a sub, but i would like someone like Scott if he isn't in the best 22.

I am a fan of Scott and impressed with what I have seen of him.

1eyedog
01-02-2023, 11:37 PM
We used McComb alot last year as a sub, but i would like someone like Scott if he isn't in the best 22.

I am a fan of Scott and impressed with what I have seen of him.

I like Scott. He always does what he's told and does it pretty neatly.

bornadog
01-02-2023, 11:40 PM

He was going well till he got knocked out with a dirty act from I can't remember. He was about to kick the ball and the player hit him in the head. He didn't recover for the rest of the season

Axe Man
02-02-2023, 10:14 AM
No to the likes of Darcy and Bruce, losing a runner early would be a disaster. I think clubs will mostly look to use the sub to tactically increase run when not forced into a sub by injury. I suspect it will be a rotation of fringe mid/forward types such as Scott, McNeil, McComb, Roarke, Garcia, West, Hannan.

Happy Days
02-02-2023, 10:25 AM

Handsome bastard too. We need a few of those to keep up with the Pies.

Smads57
02-02-2023, 11:02 AM
I am thinking the tactical sub should take into account the opposition for the week and where they may likely have an advantage over us.

In Round 1 we have Melbourne with a midfield that can quickly create challenges for us. In that case I would opt for a defensive midfield type player who could possibly stymie their play. In this case Mclean, or maybe West, Scott or Garcia (the latter 3 with defined roles around playing 'defence' when introduced into the play).

Of course it is likely McLean will be best 22 for Round 1, but would the 23rd player option allow some lateral thinking and see the introduction of holding back a 'burst' player for a break glass situation later in the game?

Stevo
02-02-2023, 04:38 PM
Scott or Roarke have the versatility to cover a few spots.

FrediKanoute
03-02-2023, 07:29 PM
Khamis, Scott and McComb are a few that stand out. Hannan fits the brief but you know Bev is going to play him in the best 22.

Sorry if he is anywhere near our best 22 this year I will throw up

Mofra
04-02-2023, 11:56 AM
Hannan has the tank and aerial game to plug a hole anywhere, although based on his pre-season he might be int he 22 anyway/ Scott also heavily nominated is someone I agree with.

The dark horse is McNeill. Played inside and outside mid as a junior and at AFL level provides pressure when playing forward. Hasn't been mentioned much during pre-season but the kid should develop nicely, still a lot of scope for development too.

F'scary
04-02-2023, 06:36 PM
Is the sub a good spot for a receiver type of player who isn't big on tackling? If so, Hannan's the choice par excellence.

Stevo
04-02-2023, 07:12 PM
Hannan has the tank and aerial game to plug a hole anywhere, although based on his pre-season he might be int he 22 anyway/ Scott also heavily nominated is someone I agree with.

The dark horse is McNeill. Played inside and outside mid as a junior and at AFL level provides pressure when playing forward. Hasn't been mentioned much during pre-season but the kid should develop nicely, still a lot of scope for development too.

We have a few players that would make ideal subs but Im warming to Hannan based on your suggestion.

Jasper
04-02-2023, 09:43 PM
It should be Vandermeer. He could provide that burst of running later in games.

Mavericks
05-02-2023, 08:36 PM
Darcy for me. Little worried about his body standing up to the rigours of full AFL games and would to manage his game time. Think he would be a weapon coming on late with his athleticism and marking ability.

Bullies
06-02-2023, 11:26 AM
I like Scott. He always does what he's told and does it pretty neatly. Scott is our best ball user and sets us up from the wing. As a left footer on the wing he allows Williams to take the pther wing. Both excellent kicks. The forwards apparently love having Scott in the side.

Bullies
06-02-2023, 11:29 AM
Sorry if he is anywhere near our best 22 this year I will throw up If either McComb or Roarke are in our best 22 + 1 we are not as strong as we thought.

Happy Days
06-02-2023, 11:44 AM
Scott is our best ball user and sets us up from the wing. As a left footer on the wing he allows Williams to take the pther wing. Both excellent kicks. The forwards apparently love having Scott in the side.

He’s our what now?

Mantis
06-02-2023, 12:06 PM
If either McComb or Roarke are in our best 22 + 1 we are not as strong as we thought.

Should we wait until the season starts before we start writing players off?

From where I sit Roarke is a role player who comes in and does his job... he is a bit limited, but you know what you're going to get. McComb was underwhelming in his 1st year but is now moving into his 2nd year as a FT footballer, has had another full pre-season and should be looking to improve... let's see how he goes.

Bulldog Revolution
06-02-2023, 12:45 PM

From where I sit Roarke is a role player who comes in and does his job... he is a bit limited, but you know what you're going to get. McComb was underwhelming in his 1st year but is now moving into his 2nd year as a FT footballer, has had another full pre-season and should be looking to improve... let's see how he goes.

Id kind of echo this - we've almost played our best footy over the past 2 years when Roarke has been in the team

Now Im not claiming its all him, but he does play his role

McComb did a good job of finding the ball last year, and theres no reason to think he wont have improved in year 2

GVGjr
06-02-2023, 01:03 PM

Spot on. We have a few players in the mix for the tactical sub role. R.Smith, Scott and McComb are just 3 of the players in the mix and they are at least versatile enough for the role. I'd add Hannan into the mix but he would most likely be best 22.

bornadog
06-02-2023, 01:36 PM
If either McComb or Roarke are in our best 22 + 1 we are not as strong as we thought.

I can't see McComb as best 22, but we will see how he goes.