PDA

View Full Version : AFL : Other clubs 2023

Grantysghost
11-02-2023, 12:14 PM
Couldn't find a good place to put this so made a thread.

Adelaide have given Dawson the captaincy.

After one year! Must've made some impression.

The Doctor
11-02-2023, 12:27 PM
Couldn't find a good place to put this so made a thread.

Adelaide have given Dawson the captaincy.

After one year! Must've made some impression.

Thought Doedee would be a big chance there.

Wonder if he has other intentions being out of contract this year.

Grantysghost
11-02-2023, 12:29 PM

Yeah Laird also I thought would've been high up in the pecking order.

Interesting decision wonder how they came to it.

Mofra
11-02-2023, 03:08 PM
Have we ever had a captain we didn't draft/sign/develop?

It seems weird after just one year. But then, the Crows do weird things (PS camp, firewalking, etc)

GVGjr
11-02-2023, 05:13 PM

It seems weird after just one year. But then, the Crows do weird things (PS camp, firewalking, etc)

Not that I can recall. I think we were prepared to give it to McGuinness but he wanted to head back to SA.

Grantysghost
11-02-2023, 05:31 PM

Bill Cubbins come on Mof. Saints 4 x B & F prior to Dogs. In the 1930s.
Wait wait... And Sid Dockendorff. (Tigers first). 1930s too
Harvey Stevens. Collingwood prior was captain in 1957.
Stuart Magee. Swans. Captain briefly after EJ in 1970.

bornadog
11-02-2023, 05:32 PM
Essendon still haven't decided on a captain

Grantysghost
11-02-2023, 05:39 PM

Interesting. You would think Parish would be the one?

GVGjr
11-02-2023, 05:41 PM

They have a few candidates but I think they might stick with Heppel.

Grantysghost
11-02-2023, 05:44 PM
They have a few candidates but I think they might stick with Heppel.

Ah OK, I thought he'd stepped aside or something.

Feel free to tidy up the thread name G to whatever makes sense.

It's really just a thread for AFL chat about other teams.

Go_Dogs
12-02-2023, 11:58 PM
Was surprised about Dawson. Good fodder for stirring up mates back in ADL at least.

GVGjr
13-02-2023, 12:04 AM
Was surprised about Dawson. Good fodder for stirring up mates back in ADL at least.

It basically said the well was dry for leaders at the club and they needed to import a captain.

jeemak
13-02-2023, 12:42 AM

If they wanted someone more vanilla than Heppell then he'd be the man.

EFC are hilarious, that they could start the campaign without a captain nominated to run things after the Christmas break with a new coach is a bit beyond me. Surely enough would have been done by then for the new coaching team to nominate someone for the players to follow on-field.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Not that I can recall. I think we were prepared to give it to McGuinness but he wanted to head back to SA.

That sparked a memory in me.

Bulldog Joe
13-02-2023, 08:40 AM

Do they have anyone with obvious leadership?

bornadog
13-02-2023, 09:48 AM
Do they have anyone with obvious leadership?

Maybe Zac Merrett or Andy McGrath

Grantysghost
13-02-2023, 09:48 AM
Interesting article re Ben Long. Likes the stability of one position, seems Dew will play him in the back 6.

I always liked this guy (until the Macrae incident) be interesting to see how he goes.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/874342/long-time-coming-former-saint-relishing-stability-at-the-suns

Grantysghost
13-02-2023, 10:11 AM

Merrett has had a weird ride. He was VC one year, then left out of leadership group the next.

Those two along with Parish are probably the obvious candidates.

Mofra
13-02-2023, 10:36 AM
McGrath is the definition of underwhelming.
Just one of those guys who sends to have a lot of tools but you never see all of them in the same game.

Heppell is a fantastic guy, but he's barely best 22 for them.

Mofra
13-02-2023, 10:37 AM
Former Bulldog fan Coffield got through the saints sim match ok. I hope he goes well this year, for some reason I have a soft spot for the guys who endure an ACL and always like to see them get back.

Axe Man
13-02-2023, 10:54 AM

Hopefully we throw our hat in the ring.

What Jordan Dawson being named Crows captain could mean for Tom Doedee’s future (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-2023-what-jordan-dawson-being-named-crows-captain-could-mean-for-tom-doedees-future/news-story/5275a56784505a965aeb4e36d68adf45)

Just after 11am on Saturday morning the phones of every Victorian list manager started to blow up.

That was when the news dropped about Jordan Dawson‘s appointment as the new Adelaide Crows captain but the phone calls weren’t about him, it was about the player he’d leapfrogged over to get the job.

Tom Doedee was already one of the biggest names in the 2023 free agent pool, now he‘s at the top of the pops given you don’t have to be Nostradamus to work out how the next eight months will unfold.

The Crows defender has already put contract talks on hold, they will remain that way as he gets his way back from injury, and then by mid-season when the Crows are most likely struggling again he‘ll privately start to look at the big-time offers coming from over the border.

And then when the season comes to a close, the former Geelong Falcon will reveal that suddenly the pull of home is too much and he‘ll be activating his free agency status to get back to Victoria.

In-between time, there will be plenty of denials and pledges of love for Adelaide but mark February 11 down as the day all 10 Victorian clubs started formulating their juicy offers for the 25-year-old centre half-back.

Doedee captained the Crows in five games in 2020 while Rory Sloane was out injured. He was put in the leadership group after just two seasons in the senior team.

Now being overtaken by someone whose been at West Lakes for five minutes has to be a kick in the guts.

While the appointment of Dawson came as a shock to many, it was greeted with a nod of approval in Sydney.

They knew all about his leadership qualities when he decided he wanted to go home to Adelaide at the end of the 2021 season.

Both South Australia teams were chasing Dawson and there were plenty of contacts in the Harbour City telling both that the half-back flanker with a booming left-foot was a special player.

On the field, Crows fans got to see that last year with his magical moment coming in just his third game when he kicked the winning goal in a famous after-the-siren Showdown victory over Port Adelaide.

Dawson went on to finish runner-up in the best-and-fairest and Crows coach Matthew Nicks called him a “natural leader” whose great strength was his ability to remain calm in chaos.

What happens to Doedee next will be interesting. He was part of a leadership group who shared the role last year – the others were Ben Keays, Reilly O’Brien and Brodie Smith – while Sloane was out with a serious knee injury.

The question that many will ask is did his decision to delay contract talks cost him the captaincy. Last month, Doedee was on local Adelaide radio explaining why he‘d dodged the decision to make a long-term commitment to the Crows.

“With the injuries that I’ve had and the surgeries I’ve had I knew I wouldn’t be able to commit to negotiating the contract stuff without being fully involved,“ Doedee told 5AA.

“I want to put that back, I want to focus on my rehab, make sure my shoulder’s right, give myself the best chance to play round one and then figure it out from there. I’m on path in that regard . . . and the contract stuff will follow.”

Which path he heads down now may be a different one to what he was thinking before the captaincy snub.

It‘s certainly a line his agent will be hearing from Victorian clubs as they ramp up their ’Get Doedee’ campaigns.

Grantysghost
13-02-2023, 10:58 AM
McGrath is the definition of underwhelming.
Just one of those guys who sends to have a lot of tools but you never see all of them in the same game.

Heppell is a fantastic guy, but he's barely best 22 for them.

Such a shame they stuffed up their gifted #1.

Never draft short guys early ;) (except Daicos)

Grantysghost
13-02-2023, 10:59 AM
Hopefully we throw our hat in the ring.

What Jordan Dawson being named Crows captain could mean for Tom Doedee’s future (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/afl-2023-what-jordan-dawson-being-named-crows-captain-could-mean-for-tom-doedees-future/news-story/5275a56784505a965aeb4e36d68adf45)

Just after 11am on Saturday morning the phones of every Victorian list manager started to blow up.

That was when the news dropped about Jordan Dawson‘s appointment as the new Adelaide Crows captain but the phone calls weren’t about him, it was about the player he’d leapfrogged over to get the job.

Tom Doedee was already one of the biggest names in the 2023 free agent pool, now he‘s at the top of the pops given you don’t have to be Nostradamus to work out how the next eight months will unfold.

The Crows defender has already put contract talks on hold, they will remain that way as he gets his way back from injury, and then by mid-season when the Crows are most likely struggling again he‘ll privately start to look at the big-time offers coming from over the border.

And then when the season comes to a close, the former Geelong Falcon will reveal that suddenly the pull of home is too much and he‘ll be activating his free agency status to get back to Victoria.

In-between time, there will be plenty of denials and pledges of love for Adelaide but mark February 11 down as the day all 10 Victorian clubs started formulating their juicy offers for the 25-year-old centre half-back.

Doedee captained the Crows in five games in 2020 while Rory Sloane was out injured. He was put in the leadership group after just two seasons in the senior team.

Now being overtaken by someone whose been at West Lakes for five minutes has to be a kick in the guts.

While the appointment of Dawson came as a shock to many, it was greeted with a nod of approval in Sydney.

They knew all about his leadership qualities when he decided he wanted to go home to Adelaide at the end of the 2021 season.

Both South Australia teams were chasing Dawson and there were plenty of contacts in the Harbour City telling both that the half-back flanker with a booming left-foot was a special player.

On the field, Crows fans got to see that last year with his magical moment coming in just his third game when he kicked the winning goal in a famous after-the-siren Showdown victory over Port Adelaide.

Dawson went on to finish runner-up in the best-and-fairest and Crows coach Matthew Nicks called him a “natural leader” whose great strength was his ability to remain calm in chaos.

What happens to Doedee next will be interesting. He was part of a leadership group who shared the role last year – the others were Ben Keays, Reilly O’Brien and Brodie Smith – while Sloane was out with a serious knee injury.

The question that many will ask is did his decision to delay contract talks cost him the captaincy. Last month, Doedee was on local Adelaide radio explaining why he‘d dodged the decision to make a long-term commitment to the Crows.

“With the injuries that I’ve had and the surgeries I’ve had I knew I wouldn’t be able to commit to negotiating the contract stuff without being fully involved,“ Doedee told 5AA.

“I want to put that back, I want to focus on my rehab, make sure my shoulder’s right, give myself the best chance to play round one and then figure it out from there. I’m on path in that regard . . . and the contract stuff will follow.”

Which path he heads down now may be a different one to what he was thinking before the captaincy snub.

It‘s certainly a line his agent will be hearing from Victorian clubs as they ramp up their ’Get Doedee’ campaigns.

Former Geelong Falcon..... Enough said.

1eyedog
13-02-2023, 11:01 AM
Gee whizz misses out on the captaincy so will have a big sook and go home? Expect the Cats to get him as part of a 'lifestyle / be closer to family choice'.

Grantysghost
13-02-2023, 11:12 AM
Former Bulldog fan Coffield got through the saints sim match ok. I hope he goes well this year, for some reason I have a soft spot for the guys who endure an ACL and always like to see them get back.

Taking he and Hunter Clark prior to Naughton has to still burn. They had two cracks at it!

Not sure about Coffield, Clark I like as a player though.

Grantysghost
13-02-2023, 11:14 AM
Gee whizz misses out on the captaincy so will have a big sook and go home? Expect the Cats to get him as part of a 'lifestyle / be closer to family choice'.

Could just be media putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. Would be ironic if you were overlooked for the leader role and then you prove them right.

Happy Days
13-02-2023, 11:47 AM
Taking he and Hunter Clark prior to Naughton has to still burn. They had two cracks at it!

Clark has a terminal case of Jesse White Syndrome. Looks like the biggest gun to ever exist but can’t really actually play. I can see why you’d burn a top 10 pick (maybe you did your recruiting research solely on google images) but they couldn’t be happy with their return so far.

Grantysghost
13-02-2023, 12:13 PM
Clark has a terminal case of Jesse White Syndrome. Looks like the biggest gun to ever exist but can’t really actually play. I can see why you’d burn a top 10 pick (maybe you did your recruiting research solely on google images) but they couldn’t be happy with their return so far.

Jesse White haha - there's a blast from ze past.

If Clark gets a run at it without getting his head caved in he might be ok.

Grantysghost
14-02-2023, 05:16 PM
The Tigers have passed on Narkle.

Signed a forward who has dominated in the Ovens and Murray league, Kaelan Bradtke as a rookie.

Do we think Narkle is worth pursuing?

Tigers sign country star, knock back former Cat - https://www.afl.com.au/news/874909

GVGjr
14-02-2023, 05:17 PM
I see that Kaelan Bradtke has joined Richmond via the SSP.
Quinton Narkle misses out.

The deadline is tomorrow.

Grantysghost
14-02-2023, 05:18 PM
I see that Kaelan Bradtke has joined Richmond via the SSP.
Quinton Narkle misses out.

The deadline is tomorrow.

Jinx.

GVGjr
14-02-2023, 05:21 PM

Signed a forward who has dominated in the Ovens and Murray league, Kaelan Bradtke as a rookie.

Tigers sign country star, knock back former Cat - https://www.afl.com.au/news/874909

I don't think so.

Axe Man
14-02-2023, 05:28 PM
Harley Bennell has signed with Port Melbourne to have one last crack at making back to an AFL list. If he was flying in the VFL and injury free come the MSD would you consider picking him up with our free list spot at 30 years old?

Axe Man
14-02-2023, 05:35 PM

This part is interesting:

The Tigers are believed to have deliberated over the decision for some time given the way Narkle presented in the new year and his form across the match simulation block of the pre-season.

Following a dedicated training block during the Christmas break, the 25-year-old reported back for training eight kilograms lighter and finished third in the second heat of the Tigers' 2km time-trial, which is why the decision on Tuesday was so difficult for the club to make.

Sounds like he had a real crack but I would be slightly concerned he wasn't fully committed at Geelong if he can lose 8 kilos at 182cm. Hopefully stays focused and gets a chance somewhere else.

GVGjr
14-02-2023, 05:36 PM
Harley Bennell has signed with Port Melbourne to have one last crack at making back to an AFL list. If he was flying in the VFL and injury free come the MSD would you consider picking him up with our free list spot at 30 years old?

His age shouldn't be a problem for the MSD if we were desperate for a player to perform this year and he was fit enough.
He could probably settle into a club quicker than most.
I'd need to be convinced he is over his other distractions.

Bulldog Revolution
14-02-2023, 06:09 PM

Id want a really good understanding of where he was at physically - didn't his calves just effectively hold him back from playing more AFL footy?

hujsh
14-02-2023, 07:21 PM
This part is interesting:

Sounds like he had a real crack but I would be slightly concerned he wasn't fully committed at Geelong if he can lose 8 kilos at 182cm. Hopefully stays focused and gets a chance somewhere else.

Might have been trying to change his composition to better fit a role they potentially had for him? We know Treloar shed Kgs when he joined us but he wasn't uncommitted at the Pies

GVGjr
14-02-2023, 07:22 PM
Zorko has stepped down as captain.

bulldogfan
14-02-2023, 07:24 PM
Yeah saw that who do you think will take over as there next captain

GVGjr
14-02-2023, 07:27 PM

It probably should be Neale. I wonder if Andrews is in the frame.

Grantysghost
14-02-2023, 07:56 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/Gm2pmKzz/Screenshot-20230214-185518.png (https://postimg.cc/9r62xG6q)

knucklehead
14-02-2023, 09:30 PM
Surely Neale is the next captain at Brisbane.
McCluggage or Berry to follow him unless Dunkley jumps above them

Happy Days
14-02-2023, 09:44 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Gm2pmKzz/Screenshot-20230214-185518.png (https://postimg.cc/9r62xG6q)

Gotta hand it to him, the move north definitely didn’t make him less handsome.

Daughter of the West
14-02-2023, 09:48 PM

I had exactly this thought! ;)

bulldogfan
14-02-2023, 09:59 PM
In my opinion don’t think it will be Dunks think it will be Neale or Andrews

jazzadogs
14-02-2023, 11:13 PM
Was Dunkley even in our leadership group? He's a good trainer but I wonder if he would have the personal/social skills for a good leader.

Grantysghost
14-02-2023, 11:32 PM
Was Dunkley even in our leadership group? He's a good trainer but I wonder if he would have the personal/social skills for a good leader.

No he wasn't after he wanted out to Essendon.

When he requested a trade to the Dons he was part of the leadership group.

mjp
14-02-2023, 11:32 PM

As a youngster he was a stand-out leader in the AFL AIS Academy...was a fair crew there following behind him (Mills, Weitering, Burton etc etc).

GVGjr
14-02-2023, 11:47 PM

He was until he requested the move to the Bombers. He then stepped back from it. The way he trains he is a natural leader.
A few years back he was regularly pushing to the front of the running drills and dragging the group along.

bornadog
15-02-2023, 02:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fo-WEH2aIAEc3pi?format=jpg&name=medium

GVGjr
15-02-2023, 02:45 PM
I would have thought Kelly would have been the better choice but let's see if he can grow into the role

bornadog
15-02-2023, 05:26 PM
I would have thought Kelly would have been the better choice but let's see if he can grow into the role

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fo-1cHjaIAAq_8g?format=jpg&name=medium

The Underdog
15-02-2023, 06:41 PM
Gotta hand it to him, the move north definitely didn’t make him less handsome.

Wanna test his new mattress?

Jasper
15-02-2023, 07:50 PM

Its a big move by the Tigers and it might indicate that something put them off Narkle. I dont think Bradtke is related to Mark but I hope he grabs his chances.

Jasper
15-02-2023, 07:57 PM
As a youngster he was a stand-out leader in the AFL AIS Academy...was a fair crew there following behind him (Mills, Weitering, Burton etc etc).

So not a bad bloke?

mjp
16-02-2023, 12:34 AM
So not a bad bloke?

I like him.

I don’t understand a lot of what has happened over the past few years but he still played good footy...I’m disappointed he left the club but hope he finds what he is looking for at Brisbane.

jeemak
16-02-2023, 03:37 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fo-WEH2aIAEc3pi?format=jpg&name=medium

I'm so happy for Toby and the Giants, he's been picked on so much these past eight or so years by everyone, and it's not like his dickhead attitude has let his club and team mates down across the journey.

In fact, I'd almost say I love the way he goes about it..........

Happy Days
16-02-2023, 09:43 AM
Wanna test his new mattress?

See this is why we need access to the full emoji keyboard on here.

Grantysghost
17-02-2023, 11:58 AM
Looks like Rayner is set for a role off Half-Back. Wonder if Moz had anything to do with this!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/875468/-a-natural-surprising-new-role-on-the-cards-for-star-lion

Happy Days
17-02-2023, 12:15 PM
Rayner just isn’t as good as they want him to be and probably will never get there.

bornadog
17-02-2023, 01:51 PM
Sicily confirmed as hawks captain

Heppell stepping down

Axe Man
21-02-2023, 10:19 AM
Take Georgiades and Leave Naughton alone!

‘Watch this space’ for Freo trade targets as club confirms interest
(https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/fremantle-dockers/afl-2023-trade-news-rumours-whispers-fremantle-dockers-aaron-naughton-mitch-georgiades-peter-bell-latest-news/news-story/7548d612b1410c48513dbf32ab9a3e8d?recommendedCount=0)
Fremantle has Western Bulldogs star Aaron Naughton and Port Adelaide young gun Mitch Georgiades on its radar, according to Western Australia journalist Ryan Daniels.

Coming off an impressive rise to finish fifth in 2022, the Dockers had a busy off-season of player movement that saw the likes of Luke Jackson and Jaeger O’Meara join the club after Jordan Clark and Will Brodie arrived the year prior.

But Freo’s bid to add more talent reportedly won’t stop there, with Naughton, 23, and Georgiades, 21, who’re both from Western Australia, seemingly in the club’s sights in a bid to bolster its forward line that was a weak point last season.

Naughton is contracted at the Dogs for two more seasons, while Georgiades, who was linked to West Coast last year as part of the Junior Rioli trade and other clubs, is on an expiring deal at Alberton.

Speaking on Triple M, Daniels revealed the Dockers were pursuing moves for the two key forwards.

“I know for a fact there’s two names very firmly on the radar,” he said.

“Aaron Naughton … and Mitch Georgiades … West Coast and Fremantle are right into this kid. If he plays more than a couple of games in the SANFL, that phone is going to be ringing hot, just watch that space all year.

“Naughton’s a bit more difficult because he’s under contract for this year and next. But as we know, things change in footy.

“I have it on very good authority that watch those two blokes. Do not be surprised if one of them ends up in purple as soon as next year.

“These things can happen, just watch this space. There was a lot of very subtle noise about Naughton last year ... just an under current. Just watch that space.”

Naughton is coming off a career-best season where he booted 51 goals and 47 majors the year prior. Georgiades meanwhile regressed slightly last season with 23 goals and played several games in the SANFL after kicking 32 majors in his second year.

It comes after Fremantle football boss Peter Bell even confirmed to Daniels during an interview on Channel 7 the list profile is “never finished” and that it’d continue to look at trade, free agency and the draft.

Asked about potential interest in Naughton and Georgiades, Bell said: “We have a lot of conversations with player managers ... we have an extra interest in West Australian players for very obvious reasons, just like Victorian list managers would have an extra interest in our Victorian players.

“The names you mentioned are certainly players we look at.

“But I think as a club we’re at a stage with the environment we’ve created, where there are players who are expressing interest – and sometimes that’s just it – and sometimes they express interest for a whole variety of reasons. But expressing interest in potentially moving to Western Australia and playing for Fremantle.

“That wasn’t the case a while ago. So things have changed a little bit.”

Happy Days
21-02-2023, 10:23 AM
Wasn’t Georgiades linked to a move last off season? Bringing Naughton up with him kinda seems like a trick by Freo to approximate their value for when they do land him.

GVGjr
21-02-2023, 10:26 AM
It's not surprising that a club from the Western Australia would be interested in Naughton. I'd imagine all clubs would be asking his manager if he is looking to make a move.

hujsh
21-02-2023, 11:39 AM
Short of pick 1 and pick 2 it's hard to imagine us trading him this year

Grantysghost
21-02-2023, 12:07 PM
It's just a journo speculating. They make up their own stories and then syndicate it as news.

bornadog
21-02-2023, 03:13 PM
Merrett named captain at Brombers

GVGjr
21-02-2023, 03:20 PM
Merrett named captain at Brombers

It's a good decision perhaps their only genuine option.

Grantysghost
21-02-2023, 03:20 PM

I thought they'd go with Parish.

GVGjr
21-02-2023, 03:22 PM
I thought they'd go with Parish.

I've heard Merrett in the media more but perhaps Parish could have been decent for them.

josie
21-02-2023, 03:49 PM
Short of pick 1 and pick 2 it's hard to imagine us trading him this year

I reckon Naughts is at least worth 2 first round draft picks, one of those being an early pick (1 to 5). I’d hate to see him leave us. Based on his positive demeanour I think he’ll stay with us for a good while.

Axe Man
21-02-2023, 03:58 PM
Merrett voted out of the leadership group by his teammates in 2020, captain in 2023. :confused:

Grantysghost
21-02-2023, 04:40 PM
Merrett voted out of the leadership group by his teammates in 2020, captain in 2023. :confused:

Haha same!

comrade
21-02-2023, 04:43 PM
We have 2, maybe 3 untouchable players and one of them is Naughton. Go and jam it Freo!

josie
21-02-2023, 05:43 PM
We have 2, maybe 3 untouchable players and one of them is Naughton. Go and jam it Freo!

Hi Comrade - Bont & Naughts for sure. I’d also say Darcy. Who is your 3rd untouchable? B. Smith? English? Marra? Macrae? Might be a good thread discussion with a poll where we can choose 3 untouchables.

Mofra
21-02-2023, 06:36 PM

That's not the only burn... Paddy McCartin over Petracca then Billings over Bont (in fairness, Billings was a consensus no 3 pick that year).
Like's tough as a Saints fan, they all happened within a few years of each other

1eyedog
21-02-2023, 08:49 PM
Hi Comrade - Bont & Naughts for sure. I’d also say Darcy. Who is your 3rd untouchable? B. Smith? English? Marra? Macrae? Might be a good thread discussion with a poll where we can choose 3 untouchables.

If we wnna keep making money and get to 60k members we need to keep Baz too.

Bulldog Joe
21-02-2023, 09:02 PM

I agree it is their only viable option, but that doesn't equate to a good decision.

Grantysghost
23-02-2023, 11:52 AM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/876628/cats-out-of-the-bag-why-in-demand-bowes-chose-geelong

Here's one for Sedat. The stadium won him over!

Essendon offered him Brent Stanton's jumper, worth a shot Dodo.

The Hawks just seemed like a desperate stalker. I'll give you more of what i've got.... and better more. PLEASE!

Happy Days
23-02-2023, 11:58 AM
Still annoyed we didn’t try to get in on that.

Sedat
23-02-2023, 12:11 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/876628/cats-out-of-the-bag-why-in-demand-bowes-chose-geelong

Here's one for Sedat. The stadium won him over!

Essendon offered him Brent Stanton's jumper, worth a shot Dodo.

The Hawks just seemed like a desperate stalker. I'll give you more of what i've got.... and better more. PLEASE!
Clearly he doesn't play wing and thus is happy to ply his trade on a pissant little toy ground without any.

Grantysghost
23-02-2023, 12:18 PM
Still annoyed we didn’t try to get in on that.

Could we have beaten a stadium tour with "Danger"?

Happy Days
23-02-2023, 12:22 PM

Around the beautiful and ethically sourced grounds of Goomba Stadium? Damn probably not. Depends if they still have that baked potato van.

Sedat
23-02-2023, 12:22 PM
Danger is Dunks with more savvy. Did you know he's from Moggs Creek and he likes surfing? That's a story the world absolutely needs to hear and is bursting with personality.

Grantysghost
23-02-2023, 12:30 PM
Danger is Dunks with more savvy. Did you know he's from Moggs Creek and he likes surfing? That's a story the world absolutely needs to hear and is bursting with personality.

No way ! Moggs Creek you say ? Knock me down with a feather.

Sedat
23-02-2023, 12:33 PM
No way ! Moggs Creek you say ? Knock me down with a feather.
Are you sitting down? Did you know that Pendles has a basketball background? Amazing I know.

hujsh
23-02-2023, 12:58 PM
I wish I could block all news and knowledge of other clubs except for the week we beat them. I'd be happier and less annoyed.

bornadog
23-02-2023, 01:47 PM
Alex Pearce named as new Freo Captain

Grantysghost
23-02-2023, 01:54 PM
Alex Pearce named as new Freo Captain

Good choice. I watched some footage of him mic'ed up in a game v the Dogs last year and he screamed leadership material to me.

bornadog
23-02-2023, 02:03 PM
Good choice. I watched some footage of him mic'ed up in a game v the Dogs last year and he screamed leadership material to me.

He is also a very good player, but plagued with injuries over the years.

bornadog
25-02-2023, 11:31 PM
Danger new captain of GEEEElong

Grantysghost
26-02-2023, 08:06 AM

Moggs Creek erupts!

Bulldog4life
26-02-2023, 12:07 PM

Doesn't he surf? :D

MrMahatma
26-02-2023, 09:43 PM
I reckon Naughts is at least worth 2 first round draft picks, one of those being an early pick (1 to 5). I’d hate to see him leave us. Based on his positive demeanour I think he’ll stay with us for a good while.

I wouldn’t trade him for 3 top 10 picks. If we HAD to deal then that’s what I think he’s worth minimum.

1eyedog
27-02-2023, 10:06 AM
Naughton shut down talk of leaving the Dogs for Fremantle after the intra-club match. The Geelong Addy picked it up.

He is a must keep at all costs player only 22 and already has 150 goals after spending an entire season down back. He's that good the Pies sent Moore back after Naughton towelled him up as a forward in Naught's first year.

He will become our greatest ever goal kicker.

bornadog
27-02-2023, 05:34 PM
Jason Castagna has retired

GVGjr
27-02-2023, 06:10 PM
Jason Castagna has retired

The timing of this retirement is a bit strange. I wonder how long he wrestled with the decision?

bornadog
02-03-2023, 11:32 AM
Andrews and Neale will be co captains at Lions.

I really don't like this Co captain stuff.

GVGjr
02-03-2023, 12:54 PM
Andrews and Neale will be co captains at Lions.

I really don't like this Co captain stuff.

Tend to agree but there are some times during a transition period where it makes some sense. Brisbane are in the window so I'm not as convinced it's needed but the players might prefer it.

Happy Days
02-03-2023, 12:59 PM
Brisbane also included about 15 guys in their leadership group, including the mattress man himself.

Virgin-Dog
02-03-2023, 01:10 PM
The timing of this retirement is a bit strange. I wonder how long he wrestled with the decision?
Reminiscent of Sam Lloyd (although even deeper into preseason)

Bulldog Revolution
02-03-2023, 02:18 PM
Reminiscent of Sam Lloyd (although even deeper into preseason)

Had he been told opportunities to play AFL were going to be a bit more limited in 2023 - and decided to walk away

Or does he have injuries that require a lot of rehab in order to be physically able to play?

I can understand why someone might decide they've had enough

Grantysghost
02-03-2023, 06:45 PM
This kid Cam Mackenzie the Hawks nabbed from under the Saints NGA with pick 7 in the 22 draft is going to be an absolute gun.

I saw him in the champs and was praying he'd fall through to us! Of course, no chance.

GVGjr
02-03-2023, 07:00 PM
This kid Cam Mackenzie the Hawks nabbed from under the Saints NGA with pick 7 in the 22 draft is going to be an absolute gun.

I saw him in the champs and was praying he'd fall through to us! Of course, no chance.

I'm not as convinced on McKenzie but he should be a good player at the senior level. The Saints would have taken him at pick 10 and then given Carlton seemed to be locked on Oliver we would have had the choice between Phillipou or putting a bid in for Fletcher like we did before ultimately selecting Busslinger.

Grantysghost
02-03-2023, 07:06 PM
I'm not as convinced on McKenzie but he should be a good player at the senior level. The Saints would have taken him at pick 10 and then given Carlton seemed to be locked on Oliver we would have had the choice between Phillipou or putting a bid in for Fletcher like we did before ultimately selecting Busslinger.

Looks comfortable at the level so far. Very neat, good size and has a heap of time.

GVGjr
02-03-2023, 07:11 PM
Looks comfortable at the level so far. Very neat, good size and has a heap of time.

He's solid in just about everything. Composed ball user, good balance but I just wonder if he can get enough of the footy.
I'm just not convinced on the gun player rating at the moment.

Grantysghost
02-03-2023, 08:55 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/7hSmLD6j/Screenshot-20230302-195401.png (https://postimg.cc/30JgLs2Z)

Not a bad start.

Supercoach lock G?

Testekill
02-03-2023, 09:29 PM
Cat's definitely don't look like they're trying out there.

Dancin' Douggy
03-03-2023, 09:36 PM
Just watched Saints smack the bombers by 30+ points. The discussion was all about how the saints are in the wilderness and the bombers have a great list and are on the verge of greatness.,can you believe this sh&@?t? It’s just incredible.

Mofra
04-03-2023, 08:05 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/7hSmLD6j/Screenshot-20230302-195401.png (https://postimg.cc/30JgLs2Z)

Not a bad start.

Supercoach lock G?
I wonder if the Saints are a little bit regretful at stomping their feet over us picking up Marra as an NGA kid? Under the old rules, MacKenzie's theirs.

GVGjr
04-03-2023, 08:23 PM
I wonder if the Saints are a little bit regretful at stomping their feet over us picking up Marra as an NGA kid? Under the old rules, MacKenzie's theirs.

Were the Saints one of the teams?

Mofra
04-03-2023, 09:26 PM
Were the Saints one of the teams?
Most Vic teams were upset IIRC

jeemak
04-03-2023, 09:42 PM
Heard Sheezel's name called a little bit today. Norf won't win too many games but they won't be too bad to watch if they can fight games out with some decent younger players showing a bit.

They really need to hang onto McKay at all costs, and Larkey is someone to build a forward structure around.

Always rate Cunnington highly, stoked to see him out there doing what he does.

Grantysghost
04-03-2023, 09:52 PM

Melbourne too with Mac Andrew

EasternWest
06-03-2023, 01:13 PM
Deleted

1eyedog
06-03-2023, 03:40 PM

No chance they nail that pick anyway.

bornadog
06-03-2023, 04:38 PM
Lipinski out for a few months with shoulder issues

bornadog
07-03-2023, 11:38 PM
Pat Ryder is back at Essendon as Indigenous development office. 10 years after he left due to drug saga

jeemak
08-03-2023, 12:51 AM
Deleted

Keep up the good work.

jeemak
08-03-2023, 12:52 AM
Lipinski out for a few months with shoulder issues

He could be having shoulder issues with us right now if Bevo had have given him a proper chance.

Grantysghost
09-03-2023, 06:50 AM
Classic aints, uploaded coaches box audio to shared drive with all clubs having access.

So much for closed training !

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-08/st-kilda-accidentally-leaks-coaches-box-audio-to-every-afl-club/102070842

mjp
09-03-2023, 05:30 PM
Classic aints, uploaded coaches box audio to shared drive with all clubs having access.

So much for closed training !

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-08/st-kilda-accidentally-leaks-coaches-box-audio-to-every-afl-club/102070842

Number of games that will have their outcomes influenced by this:

ZERO.

I mean, honestly, it's a dumb mistake but it wont provide a competitive advantage.

Axe Man
09-03-2023, 06:14 PM
Reports that Sydney are willing to offer Tom De Koning (Carlton) an 8 year deal to lure him north.

hujsh
09-03-2023, 07:38 PM
Reports that Sydney are willing to offer Tom De Koning (Carlton) an 8 year deal to lure him north.

Do it. It's funny if it's Carlton

Happy Days
09-03-2023, 08:50 PM
Best situation is for Carlton to end up paying him the money Sydney are offering.

De Koning is fine but is not ever gonna be worth that sort of money.

Mofra
09-03-2023, 09:44 PM
Best situation is for Carlton to end up paying him the money Sydney are offering.

De Koning is fine but is not ever gonna be worth that sort of money.
Gee, imagine having to offer long term, multi million dollar deal to an unproven KPF/ruck because of a massive list deficiency...

Sydney have Joel Amarty, Hayden McLean and Logan McDonald on their list. Is de Koning that desperate a list need? McLean has performed decently as that forward/chop-out ruck.

Bulldog Joe
09-03-2023, 10:02 PM
Gee, imagine having to offer long term, multi million dollar deal to an unproven KPF/ruck because of a massive list deficiency...

Sydney have Joel Amarty, Hayden McLean and Logan McDonald on their list. Is de Koning that desperate a list need? McLean has performed decently as that forward/chop-out ruck.

Not sure i am in total agreement.

Amarty has played about 2 decent games (both against us), while McLean has had plenty of chances and not really taken them. Sam Reid has been their best option but hardly gets on the park and is also about cooked.

Logan McDonald is the key forward hope. I totally get why they would be keen on De Koning

jeemak
09-03-2023, 11:58 PM
Number of games that will have their outcomes influenced by this:

ZERO.

I mean, honestly, it's a dumb mistake but it wont provide a competitive advantage.

The only issue is whether the things said are overly personal and unable to be patched up if released. One or two players getting it whilst unsavoury would be manageable, but let's say a defencive six got it on top of a couple of midfielders in a rash yet personal way? On the eve of the season that wouldn't be great.

Coaches I'd imagine don't really do that stuff anymore, but you never know.

jeemak
09-03-2023, 11:59 PM

Not sure i am in total agreement.

Amarty has played about 2 decent games (both against us), while McLean has had plenty of chances and not really taken them. Sam Reid has been their best option but hardly gets on the park and is also about cooked.

Logan McDonald is the key forward hope. I totally get why they would be keen on De Koning

I think Moff may have been referring to Schoctober and our offer to Boyd at the start of his post......however, joke's on him because we only offered a massive multi-million dollar deal to a forward without knowing he could be a highly competent forward/ ruck until he proved he could in a preliminary final that was probably the best game ever played.

Happy Days
10-03-2023, 12:35 AM

Yeah but Tom Boyd is different because my club did that. I feel like I’ve been clear about this sort of thing.

Axe Man
10-03-2023, 10:27 AM

I imagine they see De Koning as a number 1 ruck replacement for Hickey. Amarty and McLean aren't primary first rucks and McDonald is KPF.

Grantysghost
11-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Of course it did :

HOW A COFFEE WITH DANGERFIELD LED TO GEELONG HOMECOMING FOR BRUHN

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/03/11/how-a-coffee-with-dangerfield-led-to-geelong-homecoming-for-bruhn/

Mofra
12-03-2023, 11:20 AM
I imagine they see De Koning as a number 1 ruck replacement for Hickey. Amarty and McLean aren't primary first rucks and McDonald is KPF.
If that's the case, it's riskier than the Boyd deal.
I know ruck is an important position but you can find them anywhere if you prioritise list spots for them.
The following players were rookied in 2016 (after we took English in the first round, and Freo took Sean Darcy in the second round: Marshall, Oscar McInerny, Sam Draper

All five players have (arguably) shown as much as rucks as SdK has to date. SdK's forward craft looks very good for a ruck/forward though.

soupman
12-03-2023, 01:04 PM
If that's the case, it's riskier than the Boyd deal.
I know ruck is an important position but you can find them anywhere if you prioritise list spots for them.
The following players were rookied in 2016 (after we took English in the first round, and Freo took Sean Darcy in the second round: Marshall, Oscar McInerny, Sam Draper

All five players have (arguably) shown as much as rucks as SdK has to date. SdK's forward craft looks very good for a ruck/forward though.

On the flipside Sydney unlike us have drafted a bunch of rucks late, with McLean, Amartey, McAndrew, Owen all on the list through that avenue, along with trade target Ladhams, so it isn't as if they have left that stone unturned.

TDK looks great, Sydney value good rucks, it seems like if they can get a pretty proven young ruck already with a bunch of experience into their line up for 10 years without having to gamble on probably not finding one trough the draft then they should. It isn't as if they are having much difficulty addressing other areas.

macca
14-03-2023, 01:19 AM
On the flipside Sydney unlike us have drafted a bunch of rucks late, with McLean, Amartey, McAndrew, Owen all on the list through that avenue, along with trade target Ladhams, so it isn't as if they have left that stone unturned.

TDK looks great, Sydney value good rucks, it seems like if they can get a pretty proven young ruck already with a bunch of experience into their line up for 10 years without having to gamble on probably not finding one trough the draft then they should. It isn't as if they are having much difficulty addressing other areas.
Sydney have an incredible ability to pickup ruckman , it’s a long list
Some do make it , some cannot sustain the injuries
Pike, Canadian from rugby international
Jolly
Nankervis- departed
Callus Sinclair
Naishsmith
Cameron - departed

Recently Hikey, last year in career best form

Mofra
14-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Sydney have an incredible ability to pickup ruckman , it’s a long list
Some do make it , some cannot sustain the injuries
Pike, Canadian from rugby international
Jolly
Nankervis- departed
Callus Sinclair
Naishsmith
Cameron - departed

Recently Hikey, last year in career best form
They also took Mumford from Geelong who looked great until Buddy hoovered up a chunk of their salary cap.

jazzadogs
14-03-2023, 08:58 PM
They also took Mumford from Geelong who looked great until Buddy hoovered up a chunk of their salary cap.

And mummy hoovered up a chunk of something else.

azabob
14-03-2023, 09:29 PM
And mummy hoovered up a chunk of something else.

BBQ sausages? I know that’s not the correct answer.

EasternWest
15-03-2023, 11:36 AM
BBQ sausages? I know that’s not the correct answer.

Point of order: it's ALSO the correct answer.