PDA

View Full Version : You're the COACH: Question #1

mjp
13-02-2023, 12:14 PM
Just a fun little poll.

I have written up a few of these and would like to get some opinions on what you would do.

Question #1:

There are 7-minutes remaining and we are 9 points (so, 2-goals) down. We have dominated inside 50's on the day and so far in the last q have had 17 inside 50's (world record pace) vs only 6 for our oppo but have managed only 1.3.

You have decided to make a forward change to try and 'pinch' a goal/the game. So you throw "xxxxxxx" into the forward line.

Adding some justification would make this more fun!

bornadog
13-02-2023, 12:35 PM
I will go with the Bont for this year but depending on where Darcy plays, in future probably Darcy. As fatigue starts to set in, the tall guys don't get any shorter and they can usually pluck a mark.

I chose Bont as he can be a match winner.

Happy Days
13-02-2023, 12:38 PM
My answer is English with the caveat that Lobb is moved into the ruck. Tim’s around the ground and boundary stoppage work is much better than Lobb’s is, but if we’re being honest with ourselves and need a true hitout to advantage from a centre clearance then Lobb is our best look at it. It’s a rein we haven’t been able to pull previously and think it can make us a much more dynamic team

Plus Tim is really dangerous up forward in his own right anyway.

Grantysghost
13-02-2023, 12:43 PM
Naughton.

bornadog
13-02-2023, 12:45 PM
Naughton.

you read the wrong question:D

Grantysghost
13-02-2023, 01:09 PM
you read the wrong question:D

G tells me he's a defender now..! I'm throwing him forward when needed, reason : he's a good forward.

I actually selected Darcy - reading the recent interview with Gardner he reckons he marks everything that goes near him.
I think he'd be the perfect choice to throw forward in this scenario.

MrMahatma
13-02-2023, 01:19 PM
Dale. Proven goal kicker and has fwd smarts.

1eyedog
13-02-2023, 01:23 PM
Bont without question. His mere presence alone will cause unease against every single opposition player down there and I'd bank on him to create a Bontcentric environment that provides opportunities for others (although Bont is just as likely to win the match off his own boot anyway).

DadBod
13-02-2023, 04:04 PM
Given I don't know the line up its a bit difficult to answer but assuming they're not in there already I would move the following fwd and in this order.
- Darcy, this kid has the talent and temperament to do this. He'll clunk a couple of marks and slot them easily.
- Bont, goes without saying however I wouldn't put my house on his goal kicking.
- West, kid plays bigger than he is, can take a good mark, is an accurate kick and can win a free if the ball hits the deck.

Matjoh
13-02-2023, 04:13 PM
Dale undoubtedly. Bont and Macrae are our top inside 50ers so they'll keep doing that. Dale arguably our best kick, a fair mark and a former forward knows forward play.

lemmon
13-02-2023, 04:19 PM
Bailey Dale. Would back him to find a pocket of space on a short lead and more likely than not to convert from anywhere.

Scraggers
13-02-2023, 04:42 PM
I went for Big Chill. At the end of the season he started to really clunk them. Given we are trying to pinch a goal, its either against the run of play or late in the quarter. We are pumping the ball in with a hail-mary sort of approach ... I'm saying Tim English will stand tall and take a one grabber; go back and kick the goal.

The Doctor
13-02-2023, 05:55 PM
I went with Caleb. He is so clever, he is the kind of player that find a goal that no one else can see. Also, I think the oppo would certainly plan for Bont & to a lesser extent Dale (my first thought) so Daniel would probably be a bit less predictable.

I'll never forget Caleb popping up for one of the most crucial goal's in our history in the 2016 prelim

Mofra
13-02-2023, 06:45 PM
Darcy for me.

If we're dominating i50s, for the love of god keep that midfield group together.
Darcy right now is a one-trick pony but by god being 8 foot tall and marking the ball at it's highest point is a good trick.

Starting forward defences will work him out. Pinch hit late in a quarter and they might not adjust in time.

1eyedog
13-02-2023, 07:07 PM
I went with Caleb. He is so clever, he is the kind of player that find a goal that no one else can see. Also, I think the oppo would certainly plan for Bont & to a lesser extent Dale (my first thought) so Daniel would probably be a bit less predictable.

I'll never forget Caleb popping up for one of the most crucial goal's in our history in the 2016 prelim

Do you remember that goal he kicked against the Crows I think in Ballarat? He can do it from a stoppage as well. Surprised he hasn't been tried across half forward more.

Hotdog60
13-02-2023, 07:20 PM
Is Bruce washed up and can't get a game in the backline? Or is he forward. I'll go darcy. :)

Mavericks
13-02-2023, 07:36 PM
Ryan Gardner - watch his contested marking explode this year with his extra confidence from the contract extension. Otherwise Brian Lake

Flamethrower
13-02-2023, 07:52 PM
We had a sneak preview down in Launny last year - Sam Darcy will become the most dangerous swingman since the dawn of time.

Jeanette54
14-02-2023, 02:52 PM
I would go forr Marcus, because he has the most strings to his bow. He can take a pack mark, is good at ground level and has a sixth sense as to placing himself where the ball will go. As Captain he also continually rises to the occasion and seems to be inspired by that responsibility. Shades of the great EJ in that area.

azabob
14-02-2023, 03:55 PM
I'm going with Tim English. When he plays forward he is a proven goal kicker who can take a mark on the lead or in a pack.

Not too many defenders can go with him, especially if we already have Naughton and Ugle-Hagan deep.

azabob
14-02-2023, 03:56 PM
mjp are you throwing Dale forward?

lemmon
14-02-2023, 04:00 PM

This! Would love to hear how you'd be thinking these scenarios through MJP.

Go_Dogs
14-02-2023, 08:23 PM
King Darce got my vote. King Bont second.

mjp
14-02-2023, 10:10 PM

Yeah - 100%.

Something DIFFERENT means throwing forward someone DIFFERENT.

He would have spent the game at HB...get him in there.

soupman
15-02-2023, 12:33 AM
I think it's pointless sending someone forward to kick a crucial goal if they aren't a natural goalscorer, so that rules out a few.

They need a trick that sets them apart from the other characters down there who have failed so far. Darcy I like but if Lobb/Naughton aren't taking contested marks I'm not sure Darcy offers anything that different, especially being a 19 year old in his second season late in the game.

Dale is the guy. I do think there is merit in keeping him hovering around the 60m and trying to get a long one, but we have clearly failed at that thus far and he ticks all the boxes: Natural goalkicker, good at ground level and in the air, can create space, is a good shot, naturally finds the ball.