PDA

View Full Version : 2023 season: Your wooden spoon and bottom 4 predictions

Dry Rot
28-02-2023, 01:50 AM
Let's face it, most speculation at this time of the year is about the top eight finalists, probable top four finishes, and who may be playing in the grand final.

So let's look at the other end of the coming season.

Who is going to win the wooden spoon?

My first thoughts are either North Melbourne or Hawthorn, pretty obvious I suppose but you never know. North have a great new proud coach, and perhaps Mitchell may know what he's doing.

Where is West Coast at?

Or the Giants who have a new coach and a new approach, where will they finish?

And there's always our favourite team, the Adelaide Crows.

Of course, so often does a surprise bottom four team from the previous season make the top eight or even the top four, but likewise a relatively well favoured team today can go down the dunny and end up in the bottom four for the season.

So who is your pick for the wooden spoon in season 2023 and why?

What is your prediction for the bottom four teams in 2023 and why?

And what is your left field prediction for a well favoured team to go down the dunny and end up in the bottom four in 2023 and why?

Dry Rot
28-02-2023, 01:54 AM
And what is your left field prediction for a well favoured team to go down the dunny and end up in the bottom four in 2023 and why?

A hopeful prediction of the Lions does not count unless you have some good reasons. :D

bornadog
28-02-2023, 09:44 AM
I really can't see North climbing off the bottom of the ladder. They basically have the same team as last year, all be it they are are now slightly more experienced. Clarkson or not, you need the cattle on the ground.

The other move for me is I think the Saints will drop off even more and will finish bottom 4. Essendon were a bit of a surprise to finish bottom 4 last year and may move up a few rungs.

Bottom four for me are:

Saints
Giants
Hawks
North

MrMahatma
28-02-2023, 10:19 AM
I could see the Pies falling hard. They won’t win so many close ones and it’ll be a close competition again from 5-12th I reckon - prob only 4/5 wins between those positions, which means losing a few close ones will cost you big time.

hujsh
28-02-2023, 10:28 AM
I could see the Pies falling hard. They won’t win so many close ones and it’ll be a close competition again from 5-12th I reckon - prob only 4/5 wins between those positions, which means losing a few close ones will cost you big time.

I could actually see that. They have some talent for sure (every team does) nut still feel light in a lot of areas. More of their unknowns will be known to other clubs after their success so I could see them dropping too and maybe bouncing back a bit next yer

josie
28-02-2023, 11:04 AM
I really can't see North climbing off the bottom of the ladder. They basically have the same team as last year, all be it they are are now slightly more experienced. Clarkson or not, you need the cattle on the ground.

The other move for me is I think the Saints will drop off even more and will finish bottom 4. Essendon were a bit of a surprise to finish bottom 4 last year and may move up a few rungs.

Bottom four for me are:

Saints
Giants
Hawks
North

West coast is also a possibility, however with saint’s injuries leading up to season and my venom for GWS I’ll agree with BAD.

GVGjr
28-02-2023, 11:07 AM
Spoon
North will pick up the wooden spoon again. To win a lot more games they need to be able to score and while Sheezel might be able to help I can't see that Larkey and say Comben or CCJ being able to kick enough of a score. Potentially losing Thomas and the uncertainty of Hall won't help either.

The Botton 3 joining North
The rebuilding Hawks needs another season. They'll upset a team or two along the way but losing O'Meara and Mitchell has to hurt
West Coast will improve but losing Ryan, Kennedy and doubts on Nic Nat and Darling will be a problem for them.

The last spot is tricky, Saints have had a poor preseason and have a lot of injuries. It could be a train wreck for them.
Crows have a better list than the results have indicated.
The Giants are the most likely to fall off and be in the bottom 4 so I'll go with them. They're shuffling a lot of players around and it could take time to settle in.

So North, Hawthorn, West Coast and GWS

Danger Will Robinson
The left of field of field one might be the Saints. Those injuries will break the continuity needed leading into the season.

Happy Days
28-02-2023, 11:11 AM
I think Hawthorn are going to be really, really bad and can’t really see them not winning the spoon. North aren’t going to be better, they’re just going to be better than Hawthorn.

bornadog
28-02-2023, 11:54 AM
West coast is also a possibility, however with saint’s injuries leading up to season and my venom for GWS I’ll agree with BAD.

Thanks Josie - Yes, for some reason missed West Coast. :o with Saints hovering
My revised is

Giants
West Coast
Hawks
North

Bulldog Joe
28-02-2023, 12:09 PM
I think Hawthorn are going to be really, really bad and can’t really see them not winning the spoon. North aren’t going to be better, they’re just going to be better than Hawthorn.

I am with you on this.

When was the last time any team traded/retired out 4 of their most experienced (Mitchell, McEvoy, Gunston, O'Meara) and improved.
They have also installed an absolute hot head as captain and their really promising key forward (Lewis) has suffered a big setback with injury.

Axe Man
28-02-2023, 12:33 PM
I am with you on this.

When was the last time any team traded/retired out 4 of their most experienced (Mitchell, McEvoy, Gunston, O'Meara) and improved.
They have also installed an absolute hot head as captain and their really promising key forward (Lewis) has suffered a big setback with injury.

Also agree with Hawthorn looking the worst team on paper. It's their midfield that is the greatest concern for mine. Their best onballer is Jai Newcombe who is a promising young player but wouldn't be in our top 5.

mjp
28-02-2023, 05:33 PM

Agree - I think Hawthorn cut WAY too deep. This is a tear-down of biblical (aka Dean Bailey era Melbourne) proportions.

GVGjr
28-02-2023, 05:55 PM
Agree - I think Hawthorn cut WAY too deep. This is a tear-down of biblical (aka Dean Bailey era Melbourne) proportions.

North tried something like this and have never recovered. There is a balance that needs to be achieved and going the youth option isn't the short term fix some might think. Still they can probably be a big player for Free Agents unlike North who have struggled to land the right players.

mjp
28-02-2023, 08:16 PM
North tried something like this and have never recovered.

North were half pregnant with their veterans though. The one with ‘real” value was Goldstein and they refused to give him up...meantime, they traded everyone around him so he couldn’t succeed. As for bringing in players like Polec, Hall, the hyphen whose name escapes me...even others like Josh Walker who didn’t fit in terms of age... North have done some seriously strange stuff.

To be fair, I think they drafted well this year. And I’m 100% sure they’ve been waiting on me announcing that!

GVGjr
28-02-2023, 08:32 PM
North were half pregnant with their veterans though. The one with ‘real” value was Goldstein and they refused to give him up...meantime, they traded everyone around him so he couldn’t succeed. As for bringing in players like Polec, Hall, the hyphen whose name escapes me...even others like Josh Walker who didn’t fit in terms of age... North have done some seriously strange stuff.

To be fair, I think they drafted well this year. And I’m 100% sure they’ve been waiting on me announcing that!

Clubs need to be honest with themselves before making the decision to savage the list and start to execute a rebuild.
I would imagine North's footy department would have gone to the board and said that the list was ageing and under performing and that they needed to let some big name players go two things:
1) Rebuild the list via the draft
2) Attract OOC and FA players with the money saved on letting the more veteran types go.

The result is they never drafted that well and couldn't attract players that could make a difference. It's going to take a couple of years more before they might make some progress.

It's probably fair to say Hawthorn have done it more professionally and they might be regarded by the AFL players as a bit of a destination club but they've got a lot of things they need to get right to bring that to fruition.

1eyedog
28-02-2023, 09:40 PM
I don't think the Giants will be bottom 4 at all. There is way too much talent still in that team across the board to fall that hard. I see them anywhere from 8-12.

My bottom 4 are as follows;

West Coast
Essendon
Hawthorn
North

I think generally speaking the interstate teams get enough of a home ground advantage to win enough games to stave off a bottom 4 finish, but the Weagles have been decimated and their list is ordinary.

Essendon lack star power and any sort of effective forward line. I don't think 2-metre Peter will fire and their midfield is a weak link. Can see them bottom 4 they're a young side.

Hawthorn might be even worse than Essendon and have had a lot of quality move out. They'll be in the bottom few. What a time to be alive!

North have the worst list in the comp I don't care what anyone says they're five years away from challenging for the top 8 at the earliest. Clarko will get the boot long before they win more than they lose. What a time to be alive!

mjp
01-03-2023, 12:23 AM
I don't think the Giants will be bottom 4 at all. There is way too much talent still in that team across the board to fall that hard. I see them anywhere from 8-12.

Who is going to kick their goals?

I agree they have a talented list but if Hogan gets injured...

ratsmac
01-03-2023, 01:25 AM
I am with you on this.

2014 Western Bulldogs - Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney, Shaun Higgins, Liam Jones. It worked out alright for us! We did have Bont, Macrae, Stringer, Daniel ect waiting in the wings to step up though where I think the Hawks cupboard is bare for the next gen to rise as quickly as ours did.

Mantis
01-03-2023, 06:32 AM

If or when?

Greene will kick 40+ if he stays on the field, but agree that they don’t have lots of other options.

Bulldog Revolution
01-03-2023, 10:57 AM
Im in the Hawks camp also

They lost McEvoy retiring, Gunston, Shiels, OMeara all ended up at other clubs, whilst 100 gamers Kyle Hartigan, Daniel Howe, Tom Phillips departed

They've brought in Amon as the major experience coming in

I cant see it starting, going or ending well

Bulldog Joe
01-03-2023, 11:02 AM
2014 Western Bulldogs - Ryan Griffen, Adam Cooney, Shaun Higgins, Liam Jones. It worked out alright for us! We did have Bont, Macrae, Stringer, Daniel ect waiting in the wings to step up though where I think the Hawks cupboard is bare for the next gen to rise as quickly as ours did.

Liam Jones was only fringe at that point.
Cooney was clearly done.
We parlayed the Griffen pretty well with Boyd replacing Jones.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-03-2023, 11:09 AM
I think Hawks are in for a brutal year and I predict they'll win the spoon.

I also reckon Saints are in for a shocker, especially given their continuing run of injuries. I also suspect given they've squandered many draft picks in recent years, that they're probably not too concerned with a very low finish this year.

I really don't see where West Coast improves this year either. they've got to be in the mix for bottom 4.
And rounding it out, whilst I think there may well be a surprise win or 5 , I still expect North will finish in the bottom 4

Bulldog Revolution
01-03-2023, 03:31 PM
Bottom 4

Hawks
North
Eagles
Giants

GVGjr
03-03-2023, 08:35 AM

My bottom 4 are as follows;

West Coast
Essendon
Hawthorn
North

I think generally speaking the interstate teams get enough of a home ground advantage to win enough games to stave off a bottom 4 finish, but the Weagles have been decimated and their list is ordinary.

Essendon lack star power and any sort of effective forward line. I don't think 2-metre Peter will fire and their midfield is a weak link. Can see them bottom 4 they're a young side.

Hawthorn might be even worse than Essendon and have had a lot of quality move out. They'll be in the bottom few. What a time to be alive!

North have the worst list in the comp I don't care what anyone says they're five years away from challenging for the top 8 at the earliest. Clarko will get the boot long before they win more than they lose. What a time to be alive!

While I'd love to see Essendon drop down that far it's more likely that hey will improve this year. The draw certainly early on opens up some chances for them.

1eyedog
03-03-2023, 10:07 AM

Green, Whitfield, Kelly, Coniglio and Perryman are a decent set they'll get it down there enough to give themselves opportunities. Daniels, Riccardi and Hogan look like being their forward targets. Toby Green goes ok as well and their backline is still strong enough to ensure they don't get rag-dolled every week. I'm just saying they're unlikely to finish bottom 4 I'm not advocating a top 8 finish or anything.

1eyedog
03-03-2023, 10:17 AM
While I'd love to see Essendon drop down that far it's more likely that hey will improve this year. The draw certainly early on opens up some chances for them.

Now Essendon is a team where I think if Wright gets injured where are their goals coming from? Stringer?

p.s I don't rate Wright.

Jasper
03-03-2023, 10:25 AM
Now Essendon is a team where I think if Wright gets injured where are their goals coming from? Stringer?

p.s I don't rate Wright.

Their forward line is weak but surely they dont fall this year.

1eyedog
03-03-2023, 01:41 PM
Their forward line is weak but surely they dont fall this year.

We can only hope Jasper.

Grantysghost
05-03-2023, 06:50 PM
Wooden spoon : North.

Bottom 4.

Essendon
St.Kilda
Hawthorn
North

Flamethrower
05-03-2023, 07:13 PM
15 St Kilda
16 North Melbourne
17 Hawthorn
18 West Coast

ledge
05-03-2023, 10:15 PM
Hawks, roos, WestCoast and Bombers .. I absolutely love the hype the bombers come up with every year and fall flat on their faces . Let’s face it they have two rejects in Peter Wright and Weiderman . Followed by two overweight players in Tippa and Stringer as the support. I would almost put money on Scott delisting Stringer next year if it’s the end of his contract . Tippa would also struggle with another year . Can’t understand why they didn’t draft or recruit young ones . Weiderman is a Schache great VFL but not up to AFL .

GVGjr
05-03-2023, 10:19 PM
Hawks, roos, WestCoast and Bombers .. I absolutely love the hype the bombers come up with every year and fall flat on their faces . Let’s face it they have two rejects in Peter Wright and Weiderman . Followed by two overweight players in Tippa and Stringer as the support. I would almost put money on Scott delisting Stringer next year if it’s the end of his contract . Tippa would also struggle with another year . Can’t understand why they didn’t draft or recruit young ones . Weiderman is a Schache great VFL but not up to AFL .

Champion Data rate Essendon's draw as the easiest so I can't see them in the bottom 4 but I hope you are correct.

ledge
05-03-2023, 10:30 PM
Champion Data rate Essendon's draw as the easiest so I can't see them in the bottom 4 but I hope you are correct.

The thing about easy draws is they are rated on last years positions and we know that changes every year.
I would imagine they would be classed as one of the easy teams to beat going on last year.
Wasn’t it champion data that came out with Stringer being the best player in the competition two years ago ?
I’m not a huge believer in data . It’s great for spin doctoring though :-)
Data has its place but you must also look at the variants.

Mofra
06-03-2023, 10:23 AM
Hawks, then daylight.
Even if they're vaguely competitive for a couple of quarters now, without mature bodies in the middle they are going to be woeful as the season drags on.

North have Cunnington back and Logue in the team, they'll steal a couple of wins and climb a couple of spots.
West Coast have the talent back (Yeo & Gaff) but their ball movement makes baby Jesus cry.

Essendon a chance for bottom 4 (again) as they have Wright then nothing forward of the ball. The team I think will really underperform is Port, if Boak is out of the centre and Wines has regressed to 'good' player from a star, they just won't get the job done for me. Their KPDs are 'short' and KPFs flaky.

Mofra
06-03-2023, 10:25 AM
The thing about easy draws is they are rated on last years positions and we know that changes every year.

Yes, correct. And most years a team from outside the 8 the previous year finishes in the top 4 (Adelaide? GWS?)
I don't rate Essendon at all