PDA

View Full Version : Bailey Williams? Is anyone gonna tell us???

mjp
28-02-2023, 05:17 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/969/bailey-williams

LOL.

bornadog
28-02-2023, 05:21 PM
https://media.tenor.com/wk9lyeGLnVAAAAAM/chimp-laughing.gif

Daughter of the West
28-02-2023, 05:24 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/players/969/bailey-williams

LOL.

I know he loves a wild hairstyle, but changing his face is next level

hujsh
28-02-2023, 05:26 PM
Before anyone says it that stuff is run by someone the AFL hires and it's not something the club controls.

mjp
28-02-2023, 05:37 PM
Before anyone says it that stuff is run by someone the AFL hires and it's not something the club controls.

Cool. It's on the CLUB WEBSITE.

Mantis
28-02-2023, 05:53 PM
Cool. It's on the CLUB WEBSITE.

Yep.. you would like to think someone at the club validates the information is correct and if it isn't, they get it rectified ASAP.

Grantysghost
28-02-2023, 08:49 PM
It would all be pulled from the one data base.

Someone has made an error obviously, however the club would have little control.

Best we could do is feed back to the AFL webmasters and they'll fix it up.

Worth messaging the club with the info as it may not have been picked up. It wouldn't flag as an error automatically.

bornadog
28-02-2023, 11:26 PM
It would all be pulled from the one data base.

Someone has made an error obviously, however the club would have little control.

Worth messaging the club with the info as it may not have been picked up. It wouldn't flag as an error automatically.

I mentioned it on twitter to club.

Funny thing is if you go to the West Coast site, they use a different picture of Bailey Williams

mjp
01-03-2023, 12:21 AM

Well, when you give UP control then you lose control.

I get annoyed by stuff like this - particularly the whole "There is nothing they can do...". Well, how about taking control of your own website and taking responsibility for what's on it. Personally, I think having the 'right' images of our players on the site is important and whilst I get you might outsource the updates you shouldn't outsource the CONTENT.

Grantysghost
01-03-2023, 08:33 AM
Well, when you give UP control then you lose control.

I get annoyed by stuff like this - particularly the whole "There is nothing they can do...". Well, how about taking control of your own website and taking responsibility for what's on it. Personally, I think having the 'right' images of our players on the site is important and whilst I get you might outsource the updates you shouldn't outsource the CONTENT.

They can do something, they have to notice it first (well done bad) then contact the service owner to get it rectified.
I actually prefer this setup as you have the one source of truth and you get consistency across the league.
It also kind of makes sense financially for the clubs.

I'll be interested to see how quickly it's fixed though. This is where the system is tested.

azabob
01-03-2023, 10:38 AM
They can do something, they have to notice it first (well done bad) then contact the service owner to get it rectified.
I actually prefer this setup as you have the one source of truth and you get consistency across the league.
It also kind of makes sense financially for the clubs.

I'll be interested to see how quickly it's fixed though. This is where the system is tested.

But the one source of truth is wrong.

This thread certainly points out who works in IT and who does not.

GVGjr
01-03-2023, 10:52 AM
It's just a mistake and a more alert person ie a footy person would have realised that the jumper alone wasn't a Western Bulldogs one.
As GG mentioned the real test is now that the club is aware of it how long it takes to get rectified.

I know from experience working closely with a lot of IT staff over the years that from their perspective they were tasked with loading a image of Bailey Williams and that task was completed.

jazzadogs
01-03-2023, 11:29 AM

I don't work in IT, but I don't put the blame for this on the club at all. Many years ago now the AFL took control of all the club websites - it's poor, but an extremely inconsequential mistake that can hopefully be fixed quickly and easily.

Axe Man
01-03-2023, 11:57 AM
I don't work in IT, but I don't put the blame for this on the club at all. Many years ago now the AFL took control of all the club websites - it's poor, but an extremely inconsequential mistake that can hopefully be fixed quickly and easily.

I think the fact the draftees still don't have images is worse than this silly little booboo.

bornadog
01-03-2023, 12:01 PM
It's just a mistake and a more alert person ie a footy person would have realised that the jumper alone wasn't a Western Bulldogs one.As GG mentioned the real test is now that the club is aware of it how long it takes to get rectified.I know from experience working closely with a lot of IT staff over the years that from their perspective they were tasked with loading a image of Bailey Williams and that task was completed.Sent a DM and got this message

Hi Michael, thanks for that! We were made aware of the annoying change. Unfortunately Champion Data does the player headshot updates and not us so we're currently working with them to have that error rectified.

hujsh
01-03-2023, 12:26 PM

I'm not sure what side you see me on but I can imagine working with whoever the AFL has managing the sites (apparently champion data but I suspect the actual updates are done by offshore resources) is much more tedious and time consuming than it really should be for very simple fixes. I see mjp's perspective but I doubt the club sees it as worth the money and time to takeover running their site (if the AFL would even let them and if they did it would be with very strict guidelines on keeping everything consistent with all the other clubs)

Personally I'm inclined to put these issues at the feet of the AFL. They have enough people to check this information for errors on the few times a year it's updates (draft/trade period).

jazzadogs
01-03-2023, 12:33 PM
Sent a DM and got this message

Hi Michael, thanks for that! We were made aware of the annoying change. Unfortunately Champion Data does the player headshot updates and not us so we're currently working with them to have that error rectified.

The Champion Data monopoly is crazy. Are they owned by the AFL yet?

bornadog
01-03-2023, 12:51 PM

I don't believe they are

Grantysghost
01-03-2023, 01:01 PM
Sent a DM and got this message

Champion data! Wow - inception style outsourcing.

Grantysghost
01-03-2023, 01:03 PM

Mistakes can happen if you "own" the service.

The test is how quickly it's resolved and if it meets your service level agreement with your partners; this is where the issues can be and would really bother me if it took too long.

Axe Man
01-03-2023, 01:15 PM

They were 49% AFL owned a few years back, not sure if anything has changed since then.

mjp
01-03-2023, 01:30 PM
I see mjp's perspective but I doubt the club sees it as worth the money and time to takeover running their site....

My issue is that we have clearly lost control of the content on our site.

We could use things like the player photos to promote things/events etc - Easter is coming up, change some of the photos to include Easter Eggs and run a competition asking which player has the most eggs...I mean, I don't KNOW the total ins and outs of the site but it looks like a pretty straight-forward word-press based site...how actually hard could this be?

Run a past players promo and shoot every player with a previous player who wore the same number - get the fans to guess who...give a prize to all entries and a major prize to someone with a perfect entry...and surround all of these with membership offers and links to sponsors with back-link tracking turned on...surely EVERYONE will see the benefit in this? Use competitions like this to enable Mission (for example) to expand their database and send people recipes for Bonts favourite taco recipe...you can't do any of this stuff unless you control your CONTENT.

The club CLEARLY can control the content on the front page of the site...so I'm sure this could be done as well. As has been stated, the draft was in November yet somehow no photos of our draftees are up? Why is this so hard?

bornadog
01-03-2023, 01:57 PM
AFL signed a contract many years ago and clubs got millions of dollars.

Essendon were running their own website but ended up yielding as well.

We should still be able to do lots of the stuff you talk about.

jazzadogs
01-03-2023, 02:26 PM

We could use things like the player photos to promote things/events etc - Easter is coming up, change some of the photos to include Easter Eggs and run a competition asking which player has the most eggs...I mean, I don't KNOW the total ins and outs of the site but it looks like a pretty straight-forward word-press based site...how actually hard could this be?

Run a past players promo and shoot every player with a previous player who wore the same number - get the fans to guess who...give a prize to all entries and a major prize to someone with a perfect entry...and surround all of these with membership offers and links to sponsors with back-link tracking turned on...surely EVERYONE will see the benefit in this? Use competitions like this to enable Mission (for example) to expand their database and send people recipes for Bonts favourite taco recipe...you can't do any of this stuff unless you control your CONTENT.

The club CLEARLY can control the content on the front page of the site...so I'm sure this could be done as well. As has been stated, the draft was in November yet somehow no photos of our draftees are up? Why is this so hard?

I don't think many clubs care about their websites. They control their social media channels, and that's where their content goes.

We regularly advertise competitions to guess the team, play memory, etc etc with prizes like Merch packs, mission hampers, game day experiences - but this happens on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter with links.

I don't see the website as an issue within our control.

The bulldog tragician
01-03-2023, 03:08 PM
Still not fixed. Im surprised, do they really not have ANY access or log in capability themselves?

Happy Days
01-03-2023, 03:15 PM
I think it’s funny and they should leave it

bornadog
01-03-2023, 03:15 PM
I think it’s funny and they should leave it

Trade target :D

GVGjr
01-03-2023, 05:29 PM

The priority for the club is fans, sponsors, anything that generates income and of course the footy department and players etc.
That's why they don't put a lot of effort into the website or news articles. They have a digital team but I don't think they're in anyway maxed out getting content onto the site.
If one of our company sponsors called and said why is a player wearing another company's logo they'd jump on it quickly but an incorrect picture is just an email and a perhaps a follow-up.

If we really want to create a point of difference on other clubs we should be running our own site but I can't see the club getting passionate about it.

bornadog
01-03-2023, 05:33 PM
The priority for the club is fans, sponsors, anything that generates income and of course the footy department and players etc.
That's why they don't put a lot of effort into the website or news articles. They have a digital team but I don't think they're in anyway maxed out getting content onto the site.
If one of our company sponsors called and said why is a player wearing another company's logo they'd jump on it quickly but an incorrect picture is just an email and a perhaps a follow-up.

If we really want to create a point of difference on other clubs we should be running our own site but I can't see the club getting passionate about it.

All clubs agreed to giving control to the AFL, so no way would we be rebels. Young people tend to gravitate to social media and don't look at the website. The social media is pretty strong.

GVGjr
01-03-2023, 05:37 PM
All clubs agreed to giving control to the AF, so no way would we be rebels. Young people tend to gravitate to social media and don't look at the website. The social media is pretty strong.

How have you measured that?

bornadog
01-03-2023, 05:48 PM
How have you measured that?

Observation.

Lots of activity on Twitter, facebook, Instagram, emails etc as mentioned by Jazzadog

People on WOOF don't even really look at the website, claiming there is not much going on. ( of course the content is not what they want)

Yes, the Club and AFL can always do better.

Grantysghost
01-03-2023, 06:03 PM
Still not fixed. Im surprised, do they really not have ANY access or log in capability themselves?

It comes from a central source outside of the club (the picture data) so very unlikely we would have any ability to update the photos.
All the club can do is put in a request and wait for it to be rectified.
The SLA's (service level agreements) they have in place with the AFL regarding how quickly this is done may need to be revisited in my opinion.

bornadog
06-03-2023, 04:13 PM
Just checked, and fixed