PDA

View Full Version : Robbo's Top 50 - Preseason 2023

jeemak
08-03-2023, 12:15 AM
Does anyone who subscribes to the HUN want to post this year's preseason list? Apparently it's Kurnow, Petracca, Bont and Cripps top four.

aker39
08-03-2023, 07:22 AM
Does anyone who subscribes to the HUN want to post this year's preseason list? Apparently it's Kurnow, Petracca, Bont and Cripps top four.

This is the top 10

1. C. Curnow

2. C. Petracca

3. M. Bontempelli

4. P. Cripps

5. C. Oliver

6. J. Cameron

7. D. Martin

8. L. Neale

9. P. Dangerfield

10. C. Warner

GVGjr
08-03-2023, 08:24 AM
Dogs in Robbo's top 50 were

50 - Bailey Smith
29 - Tim Emglish
25 - Jack Macrae
21 - Aaron Naughton
3 - Marcus Bontempelli

Mantis
08-03-2023, 08:30 AM
Probably only Libba stiff not to make the list... feel he had a much more influential year than Macrae in 2022 and is set to do so again this year, but Macrae's weight of number seduces many in the media.

GVGjr
08-03-2023, 08:40 AM
Probably only Libba stiff not to make the list... feel he had a much more influential year than Macrae in 2022 and is set to do so again this year, but Macrae's weight of number seduces many in the media.

Agree, based on last year when compared to Macrae I would have had Libba in it.

bornadog
08-03-2023, 10:13 AM
This is the top 10

1. C. Curnow

2. C. Petracca

3. M. Bontempelli

4. P. Cripps

5. C. Oliver

6. J. Cameron

7. D. Martin

8. L. Neale

9. P. Dangerfield

10. C. Warner

I would take Bont and Petracca over Curnow

Sedat
08-03-2023, 12:37 PM
The underestimating of Libba is as predictable as it is unacceptable for people who earn a living supposedly watching the game. He is a top 25 player in the competition and was elite in 2022.

Grantysghost
08-03-2023, 12:45 PM
The underestimating of Libba is as predictable as it is unacceptable for people who earn a living supposedly watching the game. He is a top 25 player in the competition and was elite in 2022.

Slobbo be better writing on toilet walls. About the level of his ability.

EasternWest
08-03-2023, 12:58 PM

Slobbo be better writing on toilet walls. About the level of his ability.

I disregard the opinions of unrepentant drunks and this is no exception.

Happy Days
08-03-2023, 01:08 PM
I actually really rate the player but Chad Warner at 10 is exactly the sort of zero analysis zero stakes clickbait bullshit that shows why these rankings should be disregarded entirely.

1eyedog
08-03-2023, 01:16 PM
I would take Bont and Petrraca over Curnow

Another person who can't spell Petracca properly.

MrMahatma
08-03-2023, 01:16 PM
Isn't this his prediction/guess of what the top 50 will look like at the end of the year? So he's essentially predicting Warner to have a monster year, and Curnow to be the best player going around AFTER this season?

It'll be an interesting year as always. I'm not sure the gap between Naughton & Curnow will be that large at the end of the year. I predict Astro will be knocking on the top 10 door.

EasternWest
08-03-2023, 01:25 PM
Isn't this his prediction/guess of what the top 50 will look like at the end of the year? So he's essentially predicting Warner to have a monster year, and Curnow to be the best player going around AFTER this season?

It'll be an interesting year as always. I'm not sure the gap between Naughton & Curnow will be that large at the end of the year. I predict Astro will be knocking on the top 10 door.

I like Curnow a lot. He's maybe more mobile than Naughton. But Naughton terrifies me. If he remains injury free I think he'll be the number 1 forward in the league this year.

Sedat
08-03-2023, 02:06 PM
I like Curnow a lot. He's maybe more mobile than Naughton. But Naughton terrifies me. If he remains injury free I think he'll be the number 1 forward in the league this year.
So do I, been a massive fan of Curnow's for a number of years (even when he was out injured). But as far as key forwards go, Jeremy Cameron has him covered, and I despise Cameron and the dirty club he plays for. To be honest, Cameron has Naughts covered as well as of today (that might change and soon).

Axe Man
08-03-2023, 02:23 PM

Exactly. I'm not sure why people get so outraged. It's one blokes prediction, which is neither right nor wrong at this stage. It is also likely he deliberately constructs the list to include some controversial selections to generate clicks/paper purchases and debate.

bornadog
08-03-2023, 02:39 PM
Exactly. I'm not sure why people get so outraged. It's one blokes prediction, which is neither right nor wrong at this stage. It is also likely he deliberately constructs the list to include some controversial selections to generate clicks/paper purchases and debate.

ESPN Have done their own best 50. Read details here (https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/35580701/the-50-best-players-afl-ahead-season-2023)

In summary of top ten:

1. Petracca
2. Cripps
3. Oliver
4. Neale
5. Cameron
6. Miller
7. Bont
8. Bolton
9. Lynch
10. Curnow

23. Macrae, 33. Libba, 42. B Smith, 47. Naughton

1eyedog
08-03-2023, 02:48 PM
ESPN Have done their own best 50. Read details here (https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/35580701/the-50-best-players-afl-ahead-season-2023)

In summary of top ten:

1. Petracca
2. Cripps
3. Oliver
4. Neale
5. Cameron
6. Miller
7. Bont
8. Bolton
9. Lynch
10. Curnow

Based on last year's output sure, but we all know Bont is top 2 fully fit.

Bulldog Joe
08-03-2023, 02:49 PM

Picking a Carlton player at Number 1 increases the readership A LOT.

MrMahatma
08-03-2023, 02:51 PM

In summary of top ten:

1. Petracca
2. Cripps
3. Oliver
4. Neale
5. Cameron
6. Miller
7. Bont
8. Bolton
9. Lynch
10. Curnow

I mean, I have Bont as 1 and feel that's legitimately the case, but there are some other very good players in the comp.

bornadog
08-03-2023, 02:58 PM
Based on last year's output sure, but we all know Bont is top 2 fully fit.

Injury free this year - watch out

EasternWest
08-03-2023, 04:12 PM

Show me on the doll where anyone is "outraged".

bornadog
08-03-2023, 04:43 PM

https://bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/NUP_196112_00018.jpg

Axe Man
08-03-2023, 05:16 PM

Any number of social media channels, forums, etc. I never said or meant anyone here. I just don't get why people get worked up about Robbo's list.

Don't understand your doll reference when I am apathetic to the subject.

Grantysghost
08-03-2023, 05:57 PM

It's a discussion generator for sure. Just had more cred when it was Sheahan. Just.

Sedat
08-03-2023, 06:02 PM
Just had more cred when it was Sheahan. Just.
Both have Caro covered, which is not saying much for them.

EasternWest
08-03-2023, 06:39 PM
Don't understand your doll reference.

I am outraged by this.

Grantysghost
08-03-2023, 07:44 PM
I am outraged by this.

https://www.southparkstudios.com/video-clips/s94rmx/south-park-molestation-demonstration

Axe Man
09-03-2023, 09:56 AM
https://www.southparkstudios.com/video-clips/s94rmx/south-park-molestation-demonstration

I get the joke but don't see how it was in anyway applicable in this situation.

Grantysghost
09-03-2023, 09:59 AM
I get the joke but don't see how it was in anyway applicable in this situation.

It's not, that's why it's funny!

Or.... maybe your point re people being outraged was being challenged. We'll never know what goes on in the esoteric mind of EW :)

bornadog
09-03-2023, 10:24 AM
It's not, that's why it's funny!

Or.... maybe your point re people being outraged was being challenged. We'll never know what goes on in the esoteric mind of EW :)

I got the joke

1eyedog
09-03-2023, 11:18 AM
My top 50 would be 100% inherently bias but would also be better than the ESPN and Robbo's.

Bulldog Joe
09-03-2023, 01:58 PM
My top 50 would be 100% inherently bias but would also be better than the ESPN and Robbo's.

Mine wouldn't be biased.

It would just have Bont, Libba and Naughton in the top 10.

mjp
09-03-2023, 05:29 PM

I don't think there is any way to create a list that isn't inherently biased.

For example:

Bailey Dale is in the top 50 players in the AFL.

- That isn't a question - it is a complete statement of fact. He plays a unique role (well, relatively unique) and every footy side (prob with the exception of Carlton who have Saad) are trying to find a player to play it...Collingwood have Crisp of course but like every other side who find themselves with an exceptional half-back they turn them into a 'good' mid-fielder.

Now - if like the HUN/ESPN polls, you don't create a list based on position types then you will never, ever come to this conclusion...

Even using the CD position descriptions is not enough - and no system that puts Dale and Duryea into the same category (general defender) will ever come up with the correct answer here.

I guess what I'm trying to say if you are the best/second best at your designated role - in the case of Dale/Saad, that role is clearly 'rebound/running defender' - and EVERY club wants one of those players, and you are being paid commensurate with the value you bring your team (and in the case of both of these footballers I believe that to be true!) THEN you are simply going to be 'BETTER' than the 10th midfielder on the list. You just are. Or does this trigger a debate about the 50-best vs the 50-Most Valuable or some other such thing? I sincerely don't know...but I know the mix of the list is wrong and not representative of footy in 2023.

Under-valued: Lock-down small defenders, Key defenders, Running defenders, outside mids, rucks and small forwards.
Over-valued: Inside mids
Correctly valued: Tall forwards.