PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 3 V Brisbane Lions

Scraggers
16-03-2023, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Two match against St Kilda for our Round Three match against Brisbane at Marvel on Thursday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
25-03-2023, 10:17 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
25-03-2023, 10:38 PM
I’m honestly not sure it matters one iota. Deck chairs. Titanic.

chef
25-03-2023, 10:41 PM
I’m honestly not sure it matters one iota. Deck chairs. Titanic.

Yep it's the effort not the make up.

Mantis
25-03-2023, 11:29 PM
Yep it's the effort not the make up.

It’s skill level too… early on we just gifted them goals from our errors.

Dry Rot
25-03-2023, 11:31 PM
West and Garcia stay.

At least they have a crack and bring hardness otherwise absent across the field.

1eyedog
25-03-2023, 11:35 PM
West and Garcia stay.

At least they have a crack and bring hardness otherwise absent across the field.

Bring back DFA as well.

Mantis
25-03-2023, 11:38 PM
West and Garcia stay.

West had 1 kick for the entire game… but hey, he tried

westbulldog
26-03-2023, 12:28 AM
Out
Daniel Darcy West McLean

In
Sweet Cleary Khamis JJ

The Underdog
26-03-2023, 12:34 AM
There was almost nobody playing in the VFL team today? McNeill, Khamis, Sweet and Cleary probably the only chances.
Why bring Hannan and JJ back? Would Gardiner be ready?

GVGjr
26-03-2023, 12:44 AM
There was almost nobody playing in the VFL team today? McNeill, Khamis, Sweet and Cleary probably the only chances.
Why bring Hannan and JJ back? Would Gardiner be ready?

He's done a lot of running and some skill work but he's not done any contact work. Tuesday might tell the story if we are considering him for Thursday night.

F'scary
26-03-2023, 12:48 AM
Yeah he was shithouse but starting from the coach down, he had plenty of company. Just give him to the bombers if they are still that charitable

F'scary
26-03-2023, 12:50 AM
Just sad to see how far Macrae has fallen. They couldn't even hide him on the bench tonight.

F'scary
26-03-2023, 12:53 AM
Bailey Smith. Once you get past the hair style, there's not much to recommend for another senior match

derb
26-03-2023, 01:46 AM
West and Garcia are midfielders not small forwards. Play them there.

West has aggression and mongrel. We haven't had that since Clay Smith.

Garcia has burst speed.

If something is not working- fix it.

azabob
26-03-2023, 10:11 AM
IN: Cleary, Khamis, McComb, McNeil
OUT: Darcy, Keath, Macrae, Williams

JanLorMill
26-03-2023, 10:19 AM
Gardiner back isn’t going to help, he joins the long queue of players that can’t hit a target.

lemmon
26-03-2023, 10:34 AM
Out - Darcy, West
In - Buku, JJ

Would throw the magnets around a bit too - Macrae off half back with Caleb playing on ball. Dale to half forward and JJ to half back. Buku playing third key forward.

Mantis
26-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Would throw the magnets around a bit too - Macrae off half back with Caleb playing on ball. Dale to half forward and JJ to half back. Buku playing third key forward.

What makes you think that Macrae can be serviceable as a defender?

I also can't see how adding another midfielder who played wide of his opponent in Daniel helps us? what do you see?

anfo27
26-03-2023, 10:52 AM
OUT- Anti-defence footy strategy. Players names I could list 18 players.

IN- Actual defence & can we find where desire has gone & get it back in the squad.

kruder
26-03-2023, 11:01 AM
Just sad to see how far Macrae has fallen. They couldn't even hide him on the bench tonight.

Macrae has had a lot of head knocks over the years maybe its starting to catch up with him.

lemmon
26-03-2023, 11:25 AM
What makes you think that Macrae can be serviceable as a defender?

I also can?t see how adding another midfielder who played wide of his opponent in Daniel helps us? what do you see?

Not much.

You're 100% right - there's not much logic behind either move, but not sure there's much alternative either except finding another viable role for the second part of their careers.

Daniel is less dramatic than Macrae but I think he and Dale have been figured out off half back and his ball use has been putrid. He has exposed form as a mid at under-18 level and we're light on through there without Dunkley and Trelouar. Ball use coming out of the back half has been awful - I'd like to see us change up the personnel and have a different look at running defenders - whether that's JJ or Cleary. I still think there's a bit of footy left in Caleb and the class he had two or three years ago would be useful in a poorly-skilled midfield.

Macrae has four more years on a contract that probably puts him in the top 5 well-paid players at the club. I think you could excuse the second part of 2022 as a slump, but now it's looking like he's about dusted as an AFL player. I think he's too slow to play forward, he's stinking up the midfield, so what else do you do with him except send him back to Footscray or play him off half back? Matt Boyd was a similar midfield accumulator (albeit he started his career as an accountable mid/defender) who I thought was no chance at making it off half back at the latter stages of his career, but it reinvigorated him. When he is playing well, I think Jack's intelligence and agility would be handy coming out of defense, and he has done bits and pieces of tagging in the past (I'm definitely stretching here).

Both moves driven more by necessity than evidence, but things are starting to feel dire, so I'd be changing it up rather than continuing down the same path.

Go_Dogs
26-03-2023, 11:28 AM
We need to make some changes to the side and some changes to the roles folks are playing. I?d start by:

Out: Macrae, Daniel, McLean, West, Keath, Darcy

In: McNeil, Cleary, Buku, JJ, Arty, Sweet

Then I would line a side up like follows:

B: Duryea, Jones, Cleary
HB: Dale, Bruce, Richards
C: Scott, Libba, Bont
HF: Williams, Naughton, Arty
F: McNeil, Marra, Sweet
R: English, Garcia, Smith
B: Baker, Crozier, JJ, McComb

Bont on a wing as he?s the only player we have who can hit a target and one of few who?ll work hard up and down in both directions. Let?s let him do that and not also get smashed as our best contested ball player.
Garcia and Smith in the midfield with Libba. Smith needs to kick the footy better and use his pace defensively but hoping to offset some of our defensive weakness with Garcia starting in there.
Cleary straight into the backline, Will be an instant gain in Keath as can use the ball better and defensively just as good if not better than 2023 Keath
Arty straight in, need some wheels and dash and excitement, just about the only player we have with the creative agility
Williams playing a similar role running up and down but named as a forward.
McNeil to tackle tackle tackle and run hard (unsure if he?s right?)
Sweet not a forward but can?t have less of an impact that Darce did last night (and I still rate King Darce as one of our most exciting talents, but we need to settle a position, play him there in the VFL for 4 weeks and then bring him back once he?s got his swagger back)
JJ to play back, Crozier to play forward, McComb at least has some pace and could tag Dunks/Neale, and Baker keeps his spot just.

It?s slim pickings. Gardner and Weightman straight in when available. And would then look to move Bruce forward again.

Ergh.

G-Mo77
26-03-2023, 11:30 AM
I don't think it matters. I said this last week, we are done. We've been overtaken and don't have the cattle on and off the field to compete. It's time to rebuild now and work on bringing young players through. Sack this coach ASAP and start the process for building around a new coach, new team in 2024.

Danjul
26-03-2023, 12:39 PM
We need to make some changes to the side and some changes to the roles folks are playing. I?d start by:

B: Duryea, Jones, Cleary
HB: Dale, Bruce, Richards
C: Scott, Libba, Bont
HF: Williams, Naughton, Arty
F: McNeil, Marra, Sweet
R: English, Garcia, Smith
B: Baker, Crozier, JJ, McComb

Not bad. Obviously need to do something that Brisbane is not expecting.

But I would begin with English as CHB, Bruce as a forward, and Sweet as First ruck, smith on the wing and Bont taking his position.

Why?

Brisbane have 2 confident tall forwards. Need English?s skills to complement Jones.

I?ve been pleasantly surprised by Bruce this year, but most of the team has played with him as a forward. See if they can rediscover how to work with him. I think this would help McNeil to be more effective.

Some of Bont,s good games have been with Sweet rucking. They link well and it might open up his ability to run and deliver. Bont has been doing too much heavy work lately.

1eyedog
26-03-2023, 12:52 PM
I'm not not convinced we should move our best key back over the first two weeks out of the backline. I'm also not convinced that English can keep up with Hipwood or Daniher in that role.

Rocco Jones
27-03-2023, 02:09 PM
How I would go

In:
Lobb and Adz (if fit)
McNeil
McComb (starting)

Out:
Darcy (develop in VFL)
Marra (taking time away from club)
West (if he isn't attending CBAs, there isn't a spot for him)
Truck

If Lobb is out, I'd play Buku
If Adz is out, I'd play Truck.

With Macrae, I would only have him out if the club believe he is actually truly sulking/not putting in effort.

bornadog
27-03-2023, 02:11 PM
How I would go

In:
Lobb and Adz (if fit)
McNeil
McComb (starting)

Out:
Darcy (develop in VFL)
Marra (taking time away from club)
West (if he isn't attending CBAs, there isn't a spot for him)
Truck

If Lobb is out, I'd play Buku
If Adz is out, I'd play Truck.

With Macrae, I would only have him out if the club believe he is actually truly sulking/not putting in effort.

Why McComb? I personally don't rate him at all.

I would think about Cleary coming in if Truck is out.

F'scary
27-03-2023, 02:14 PM
Out - Darcy, West
In - Buku, JJ

Macrae has zero overhead game, including spoiling. Could not possibly play in the defence.

Rocco Jones
27-03-2023, 02:18 PM
Why McComb? I personally don't rate him at all.

I would think about Cleary coming in if Truck is out.

McComb due to really low benchmark I have to get into the side to improve hardness and run (I know).

Cleary I like a lot but we have Juice, Jones, Keath and Crozier already down back. Think Cleary is more a D3-4 type and we need more run.

bornadog
27-03-2023, 02:24 PM
McComb due to really low benchmark I have to get into the side to improve hardness and run (I know).

Cleary I like a lot but we have Juice, Jones, Keath and Crozier already down back. Think Cleary is more a D3-4 type and we need more run.

Fair enough on Cleary, but McComb has zero hardness. A number of times on Saturday he wouldn't go in and just stood back.

GVGjr
27-03-2023, 02:28 PM

I don't think we can both Cleary and Crozier in the back line and Crozier is the preference at the moment but we might give it a whirl

Ozza
27-03-2023, 02:29 PM
I get the reactions and the anger - but after 200 extremely consistent games, I think it would be fair to say that Macrae has some runs on the board. And I absolutely get that the defensive side of Jack's game is not where it needs to be - but are we really honestly as supporters not going to have faith in him to respond after a poor game?

I'm as angry as anyone about how we are playing, but dropping Macrae or re-fashioning him into a defender don't make us a better team.

Probably need to understand where the injured players are at before commenting in much detail. But structurally, I don't see how we could play Keath this week - we never used to play 3 key talls down back...he wasn't the worst the other night, but makes the least sense for the team. I also don't think playing Darcy is doing him or us any favors at the minute.

azabob
27-03-2023, 03:01 PM
I don't think we can both Cleary and Crozier in the back line and Crozier is the preference at the moment but we might give it a whirl

I'd be ok dropping Keath for Cleary. In fact that was one of my changes.

bornadog
27-03-2023, 05:50 PM
A few players could be available:

Ryan Gardner (elbow): Test
Adam Treloar (hamstring): Test
Rory Lobb (ankle): Test
Tim O'Brien (hamstring): Test
Arthur Jones (groin): Test

GVGjr
27-03-2023, 05:59 PM
A few players could be available:

Ryan Gardner (elbow): Test
Adam Treloar (hamstring): Test
Rory Lobb (ankle): Test
Tim O'Brien (hamstring): Test
Arthur Jones (groin): Test

O'Brien has missed a bit too much, needs to play at Footscray.
If any of the others are ready they should pressure the MC.

bornadog
27-03-2023, 06:12 PM
If any of the others are ready they should pressure the MC.

Gut feel, Treloar will play. Lobb 50/50

GVGjr
27-03-2023, 06:14 PM
Gut feel, Treloar will play. Lobb 50/50

I'm less confident about Lobb but will know more tomorrow. If Treloar says he is right it would be hard to ignore that.

G-Mo77
27-03-2023, 06:22 PM
I'm less confident about Lobb but will know more tomorrow. If Treloar says he is right it would be hard to ignore that.

They did say in the video "He has a history of soft tissue injuries" That is likely them saying they'll be cautious.

mjp
27-03-2023, 06:41 PM
Is anyone seriously suggesting we play Arthur Jones for his first game on a Thursday night having not played for (I think) 4x weeks?

That would be a prayer, not a selection. You really think getting in a first gamer is the solution?? It just reminds me of Homer getting the job of Head of Sanitation (or whatever it was) in Springfield - "some-one else, some-one else....". "Hey - I'm 'Someone Else'".

GVGjr
27-03-2023, 06:51 PM
They did say in the video "He has a history of soft tissue injuries" That is likely them saying they'll be cautious.

I think it would be hard to say no if Treloar says he is good to go. He really knows if he is right or not.

GVGjr
27-03-2023, 06:54 PM
Is anyone seriously suggesting we play Arthur Jones for his first game on a Thursday night having not played for (I think) 4x weeks?

That would be a prayer, not a selection. You really think getting in a first gamer is the solution?? It just reminds me of Homer getting the job of Head of Sanitation (or whatever it was) in Springfield - "some-one else, some-one else....". "Hey - I'm 'Someone Else'".

He shouldn't play but had he been right for round one he might have been the sub or in the best 22.
I'd like to see him play with Footscray.

kruder
27-03-2023, 07:45 PM
Few people on BF suggest Marra wont play and is on leave from the club?

GVGjr
27-03-2023, 07:49 PM

I'll confirm early tomorrow if he is at training.

1eyedog
27-03-2023, 07:56 PM
Who makes way for Gardner? Does Bruce play forward, does Keath get omitted and what to do with Sam Darcy?

GVGjr
27-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Who makes way for Gardner? Does Bruce play forward, does Keath get omitted and what to do with Sam Darcy?

I think it's Darcy and or Marra but it could be Keath. Moving Bruce forward if Lobb isn't available might be a decent move.

kruder
27-03-2023, 08:03 PM

Absolute desperation if Arty plays.

Go_Dogs
27-03-2023, 09:43 PM
Absolute desperation if Arty plays.

He was in the round one side until injured and he’s not going to do worse than some others have… if he’s fit enough, I’d play him. No idea if he is fit enough.

bornadog
27-03-2023, 10:30 PM
Darcy should be learning his trade at VFL level for a little while.

EasternWest
27-03-2023, 10:38 PM
Darcy should be learning his trade at VFL level for a little while.

Couldn't agree more with this. We're gifting him games when he's nowhere near ready.

I'm pretty content with what I've seen that he'll be a player,but he's not strong enough or fit enough at the moment.

Grantysghost
27-03-2023, 10:50 PM
Couldn't agree more with this. We're gifting him games when he's nowhere near ready.

I'm pretty content with what I've seen that he'll be a player,but he's not strong enough or fit enough at the moment.

There was that one pre season game where it all clicked though EW...
We need more time in real games to make sure it's a bad idea.

bornadog
27-03-2023, 10:54 PM

He had the day off today, but hopefully he is ok.

https://youtu.be/Xuse4gApFYQ

FrediKanoute
27-03-2023, 11:46 PM
Out
Daniel Darcy West McLean

In
Sweet Cleary Khamis JJ

What does JJ add? He is soft as butted. I would prefer West's 1 kick, but a heap of pressure than JJ's 5 kicks and no pressure.

He is not a forward and is not good enough to be a back half ball carrier (or maybe he is and Bevo has f*cked that up)

westbulldog
28-03-2023, 12:20 AM
What does JJ add? He is soft as butted. I would prefer West's 1 kick, but a heap of pressure than JJ's 5 kicks and no pressure.

He is not a forward and is not good enough to be a back half ball carrier (or maybe he is and Bevo has f*cked that up)

There wasn't much choice Fred, JJ just pipped Hannan :)

D Mitchell
28-03-2023, 12:23 AM
West and Garcia are midfielders not small forwards. Play them there.

W....We haven't had that since Clay Smith.

You are right, hesitation didn't exist in his game. Clay Smith was a bit more than mongrel. 4 goals in the first win of 8 attempts at a Prelim,

FrediKanoute
28-03-2023, 12:31 AM
There wasn't much choice Fred, JJ just pipped Hannan :)

So don't make the change - work with West. No point making change for change's sake.

derb
28-03-2023, 12:55 AM
Beveridge spoke of being innovative to match Brisbane.

Would this innovation be playing West or Garcia in their natural positions? I mean, they put good showings in the VFL and earn a call up to the senior side then get whacked in a completely different position. It stinks.

G-Mo77
28-03-2023, 05:48 AM

Needs to play in the VFL permanently. We'd be really scraping the bottom of the barrel bringing him in. Who knows, we're already scraping the bottom with McComb. Bringing him in might be being "innovative".

Mofra
28-03-2023, 09:16 AM
Needs to play in the VFL permanently. We'd be really scraping the bottom of the barrel bringing him in. Who knows, we're already scraping the bottom with McComb. Bringing him in might be being "innovative".
I'd be surprised if he plays this year. He's and 'interceptor' who doesn't use the ball well enough for his position.
Crozier is playing that role now anyway, and if Garnder's fit Keath could well slide into that spot anyway.

Mantis
28-03-2023, 09:22 AM
I'd be surprised if he plays this year. He's and 'interceptor' who doesn't use the ball well enough for his position.
Crozier is playing that role now anyway, and if Garnder's fit Keath could well slide into that spot anyway.

O'Brien for all his faults, is a much better kick of the ball than our tall defenders & Crozier.

Bullies
28-03-2023, 10:02 AM
O'Brien for all his faults, is a much better kick of the ball than our tall defenders & Crozier.
That says a lot for our Defenders as O'Brien is an absolute butcher of the ball.

Who would have thought we would be having discussions coming up to Round 3 if we bring in O'Brien without playing a pre season game. Surely we are not that desperate yet. But then again who would have thought McComb would be playing Round 2. Says a lot as to where we are at.

bornadog
28-03-2023, 10:16 AM
That says a lot for our Defenders as O'Brien is an absolute butcher of the ball.

Who would have thought we would be having discussions coming up to Round 3 if we bring in O'Brien without playing a pre season game. Surely we are not that desperate yet. But then again who would have thought McComb would be playing Round 2. Says a lot as to where we are at.

I don't believe anyone is calling for O'Brien to come in. He needs to earn his spot.

Mantis
28-03-2023, 10:17 AM

Hard disagree on this... he kicks it flat and with penetration unlike pretty much every player on our list.

MrMahatma
28-03-2023, 02:46 PM
Just got an alert. It's an Arty Party on Thursday night. Wow. Didn't expect that!

Axe Man
28-03-2023, 02:46 PM
Arthur Jones to debut against Brisbane (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1293755/?fbclid=IwAR2fut_3lgQAZm7uPwVTGO_hca8XsF_gBky1OFQMh0u9NmaRUf KOKUn3Au4)

The Western Bulldogs will field their first debutant of 2023 this Thursday night against Brisbane, handing speedy forward Arthur Jones his maiden senior opportunity.

The Indigenous youngster has spent the last year and a half biding his time in the VFL program, and had impressed with his preseason work this summer before being sidelined with a groin injury.

Development coach Travis Varcoe broke the news to Jones in front of the entire playing group during Tuesday morning’s team meeting.

“It’s a really exciting moment for me and my family, but also for the Club,” Jones said.

“It’s a bit hard to put into words. It’s a great moment – when you work at something for so long.

“I had a massive preseason and just before round one tweaked my groin, so to have a speedy recovery and have all the boys see the work I’ve put in – to finally get this one thing that I’ve wanted so bad, is kind of an emotional moment.

“It’s a lifelong dream. I’m just so grateful to the Western Bulldogs for giving me the chance to debut.

“Hopefully I can make the red, white and blue as proud as they can be.”

Jones was selected with pick 43 in the 2021 AFL Draft, hailing from Mt Barker in Western Australia.

Axe Man
28-03-2023, 02:50 PM
Hopefully Arty can provide a spark, a bit of enthusiasm to lift us out of our funk.

The Doctor
28-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Great news about Arty. I thought he might come back via Footscray so he must have really impressed the MC

1eyedog
28-03-2023, 03:14 PM
Arthur Jones to debut against Brisbane (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1293755/?fbclid=IwAR2fut_3lgQAZm7uPwVTGO_hca8XsF_gBky1OFQMh0u9NmaRUf KOKUn3Au4)

The Western Bulldogs will field their first debutant of 2023 this Thursday night against Brisbane, handing speedy forward Arthur Jones his maiden senior opportunity.

The Indigenous youngster has spent the last year and a half biding his time in the VFL program, and had impressed with his preseason work this summer before being sidelined with a groin injury.

Development coach Travis Varcoe broke the news to Jones in front of the entire playing group during Tuesday morning’s team meeting.

“It’s a really exciting moment for me and my family, but also for the Club,” Jones said.

“It’s a bit hard to put into words. It’s a great moment – when you work at something for so long.

“I had a massive preseason and just before round one tweaked my groin, so to have a speedy recovery and have all the boys see the work I’ve put in – to finally get this one thing that I’ve wanted so bad, is kind of an emotional moment.

“It’s a lifelong dream. I’m just so grateful to the Western Bulldogs for giving me the chance to debut.

“Hopefully I can make the red, white and blue as proud as they can be.”

Jones was selected with pick 43 in the 2021 AFL Draft, hailing from Mt Barker in Western Australia.

ok ok

G-Mo77
28-03-2023, 03:44 PM
Great to see! Very unlucky not to play Round 1 so hopefully he can grab this opportunity with both hands and run with it. Perfect opportunity for a young player like Arty, we need to start a change of the guard and if he performs he could see plenty of game time beyond this round.

Hopefully this selection breathes a bit of life into his lifeless teamates.

The bulldog tragician
28-03-2023, 03:52 PM
For morale, nothing could be better. A kid living his dream. Can’t wait to see Arty out there.

bornadog
28-03-2023, 03:55 PM
https://youtu.be/iOLBSseGfmw

The bulldog tragician
28-03-2023, 04:02 PM

Just when you think you’re out of love with footy. Go well Arty #dustineyes

bornadog
28-03-2023, 04:03 PM
Just when you think you’re out of love with footy. Go well Arty #dustineyes
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsRu8eLagAAPtLe?format=jpg&name=large

bornadog
28-03-2023, 04:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsRu5-zaIAAbOkc?format=jpg&name=medium

F'scary
28-03-2023, 04:09 PM
B: Duryea, Jones, Williams
HB: Daniel, Ugle-Hagen, Dale
C: Richards, Macrae, Smith
HF: JJ, Naughton, Garcia
F: English, Bruce, A Jones
Foll: Sweet, Bontempelli, Liberatore
Int: Khamis, Cleary, Scott, McNeil

Time to try a couple of things and perhaps go back to the forward line of early 2021

Matjoh
28-03-2023, 05:17 PM
This is the team I'd play. Gardner straight in if available as he was our best Key position back last year, Bruce then goes forward where he was one of our best before that and is his best position despite being ok last week. If no Gardner then Cleary at HF. Darcy out to gain game time in a "preferred" position in the VFL [according to Bevo]. JUH out if he still needs personal time otherwise in the pocket. Treloar in if he's fit. If not then McNeill. Sweet in as English cant do it all alone all the time. The instructions are the obvious - workrate, tackle, take them on and go down the middle as often as possible, yeah lions will want to deny us that but we take them on - I mean what - do we have no confidence that our teammates will win/halve the contest if we try to control the middle? Lead to the kicker, lower the eyes and kick to the leader. Basic stuff that wont work you say - well what has? This is the innovation Bevo mentioned??!
FB Richards Gardner/Keath Duryea
HB Dale L.Jones Keath/Cleary
CC Williams Libba Baker
HF B Smith Bruce Scott
FF JUH Naughton Garcia
RR English Bont Macrae
INT A.Jones Sweet Treloar/McNeill Crozier
EM West Mclean Khamis McNeill

lemmon
28-03-2023, 05:24 PM

Bloody love it.

Not expecting him to have 30 and kick 5, but he seems like a sensational young guy, the group clearly adores him and it's an injection of vitality and hope.

As a supporter, I'm really proud of the way we're celebrating Indigenous identity over the past few seasons, particularly in light of the absolute bullshit that Marra copped on Saturday night.

bornadog
28-03-2023, 05:25 PM
FB Richards Gardner/Keath Duryea
HB Dale L.Jones Keath/Cleary
CC Williams Libba Baker
HF B Smith Bruce Scott
FF JUH Naughton Garcia
RR English Bont Macrae
INT A.Jones Sweet Treloar/McNeill Crozier
EM West Mclean Khamis McNeill

You would drop Daniel?

Sedat
28-03-2023, 05:27 PM

Time to try a couple of things and perhaps go back to the forward line of early 2021
We were 6-0 with these two foot soldiers and role players in the team in early 2021. If we are tossing up which 22nd-23rd players to select in the team, we could do a lot worse that these two (or Roarke when he is fit). Our top tier players will ultimately make the difference in our improvement (if they play to their optimum level), but it doesn't hurt to have the foot soldier types in lock-step with their roles and responsibilities in the team, and the likes of Scott and McNeil know and understand what is expected of them.

Grantysghost
28-03-2023, 05:29 PM
We were 6-0 with these two foot soldiers and role players in the team in early 2021. If we are tossing up which 22nd-23rd players to select in the team, we could do a lot worse that these two (or Roarke when he is fit). Our top tier players will ultimately make the difference in our improvement (if they play to their optimum level), but it doesn't hurt to have the foot soldier types in lock-step with their roles and responsibilities in the team, and the likes of Scott and McNeil know and understand what is expected of them.

McNeil has pace to burn and applies pressure. I really don't know why he's on the nose.

azabob
28-03-2023, 05:47 PM
McNeil has pace to burn and applies pressure. I really don't know why he's on the nose.

Can he kick a goal from 15m out yet?

G-Mo77
28-03-2023, 05:51 PM

He's not alone there. I worry when Naughton lines up from 15 out

Grantysghost
28-03-2023, 05:58 PM

How dare you!

Also : no.

Prince Imperial
28-03-2023, 06:14 PM

Fantastic to see Arthur praising Cody for his development and support at this important moment.

Weightman might have seen Jones as a small forward competitor but this screams leadership and self-confidence.

I know he was captain at Haileybury and it wouldn't surprise me that we see him in the leadership group sooner rather than later.

Mantis
28-03-2023, 06:22 PM

Understand you're making a number of positional changes, but surprised your starting midfield has the usual suspects who haven't been getting the job done? but I guess when that group includes your 2 onfield leaders and another senior player it?s probably up to them to lead by example and set the tone to how we want to play.

azabob
28-03-2023, 06:47 PM
How dare you!

Also : no.
Funnily enough he is in my INs for this week.

Matjoh
28-03-2023, 06:54 PM
Yes dropped Daniel as Ive been anti him for a while, cant mid - stands off his opponent then lets him run forward whilst just standing there. In almost every game he tries to "outsmart/outmanouver" backline opposition with his running in circles and zig zagging around but gets caught and costs a goal. Also he's too short v the lions forward line and I cant omit anyone else from the backline

F'scary
28-03-2023, 07:19 PM
@Mantis, Yeah, it is a bit like that but just got to hope they can find the old form and magic again somehow

Go_Dogs
28-03-2023, 08:41 PM
Great news re Arty.

bornadog
28-03-2023, 08:42 PM
Great news re Arty.

Who does he replace?

chef
28-03-2023, 08:45 PM
Who does he replace?

Darcy.

bornadog
28-03-2023, 08:47 PM
Darcy.

I thought of that, but also thought does Lobb and Treloar come?

Go_Dogs
28-03-2023, 08:47 PM
Who does he replace?

West or McLean for mine. Probably West who we insist on tying to make a small forward but is always going to be a midfielder.

Grantysghost
28-03-2023, 09:02 PM
I thought of that, but also thought does Lobb and Treloar come?

I’d say Treloar is a 90 percent chance.

Lobb 50/50

1eyedog
28-03-2023, 09:38 PM
Sorry love the idea of Arty but it seems it's a purposeful distraction and an artificial feel good selection to get us off the deck mentally.

Maybe the right call when you have nothing to lose but it has a feeling of Bevo reaching in the dark for me.

Not sure what we're expecting of him hopefully not too much.

F'scary
28-03-2023, 09:56 PM
Sorry love the idea of Arty but it seems it's a purposeful distraction and an artificial feel good selection to get us off the deck mentally.

Maybe the right call when you have nothing to lose but it has a feeling of Bevo reaching in the dark for me.

That's good enough for me.

kruder
28-03-2023, 10:01 PM
He was in the round one side until injured and he?s not going to do worse than some others have? if he?s fit enough, I?d play him. No idea if he is fit enough.

Yeah I know he deserved to play round 1 but when does a first gamer come back straight in after injury?

I reckon part of the issue so far is that we played quite a few underdone players and it looks like it may continue this week. Fingers crossed we get it right this time.

jeemak
28-03-2023, 10:50 PM
Yeah I know he deserved to play round 1 but when does a first gamer come back straight in after injury?

I reckon part of the issue so far is that we played quite a few underdone players and it looks like it may continue this week. Fingers crossed we get it right this time.

Possibly when he was the standout over preseason and the alternatives for his position stunk like hell.....like they have.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-03-2023, 11:16 PM

I'm excited about it, it DOES make me more interested in the game, but make no mistake about it - this is a desperate act by the MC.

mjp
28-03-2023, 11:52 PM

The decision makes zero sense. Zero.

But it's done now.

Go well Arthur.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-03-2023, 12:11 AM
I think the decision simply reflects where we are as a club.

Best of luck to him. I hope he tears it apart. It's about the only positive with us right now.

1eyedog
29-03-2023, 01:14 AM

Best of luck to him. I hope he tears it apart. It's about the only positive with us right now.

Maybe that is what is needed right now. I'm not convinced it will make any difference and I hope he gets a few touches. It was a feel good story in the midst of a pretty crappy week and maybe that is enough.

jeemak
29-03-2023, 01:38 AM
Maybe that is what is needed right now. I'm not convinced it will make any difference and I hope he gets a few touches. It was a feel good story in the midst of a pretty crappy week and maybe that is enough.

You're working on the assumption those within the four walls are taking this as badly as we all are, and feel like it's as out of control as we all do.

To me the Arty selection reflects him being our option in lieu of Weightman not being available, others stepping in not performing, and reward for effort over the preseason.

This is my last deluded hope, mind you.

D Mitchell
29-03-2023, 09:33 AM

At nil:2, as a Club we are roughly where we've been in something like 4 of the last 6 seasons. It will be astounding if Jones has scoreboard impact in his first game. If it's true that he's fast, nimble and, most important, can put pressure on defenders when they have possession and does, then it's a good move by the Selectors because those qualities are precisely what's lacking among the forwards. Maybe he'll inspire movement and urgency in the other 5. I feel much better about tomorrow night already.

GVGjr
29-03-2023, 10:11 AM
At nil:2, as a Club we are roughly where we've been in something like 4 of the last 6 seasons. It will be astounding if Jones has scoreboard impact in his first game. If it's true that he's fast, nimble and, most important, can put pressure on defenders when they have possession and does, then it's a good move by the Selectors because those qualities are precisely what's lacking among the forwards. Maybe he'll inspire movement and urgency in the other 5. I feel much better about tomorrow night already.

The 0 - 2 start isn't really the issue for most supporters it's more about the way we are performing.
Whilst I'm excited for Arty to be making his debut I would have preferred a couple of games at Footscray as a lead in.
It's all well and good to be working hard at training but it's very different we that siren goes off.

Prior to Xmas I don't think I could have envisaged Arty playing until much later in the season but his progress since then has been impressive.

Grantysghost
29-03-2023, 10:16 AM
If Arty doesn't kick at least 2 goals -- well i'll do something.

Axe Man
29-03-2023, 10:23 AM
If Arty doesn't kick at least 2 goals -- well i'll do something.

Finally admit you are a closet Brisbane supporter?

Grantysghost
29-03-2023, 10:23 AM

God damn it !

Ok.

bornadog
29-03-2023, 10:28 AM

God damn it !

Ok.

Followed Dunks to Brissie?? :D

Grantysghost
29-03-2023, 10:32 AM
Followed Dunks to Brissie?? :D

Hey that's not punishment.

Mantis
29-03-2023, 10:33 AM
The 0 - 2 start isn't really the issue for most supporters it's more about the way we are performing.
Whilst I'm excited for Arty to be making his debut I would have preferred a couple of games at Footscray as a lead in.
It's all well and good to be working hard at training but it's very different we that siren goes off.

Prior to Xmas I don't think I could have envisaged Arty playing until much later in the season but his progress since then has been impressive.

Yep.

If you compare it to last season it's chalk & cheese... I left the Rd.2 game against Carlton last year feeling like we were a pretty decent team having shot ourselves in the foot against a team that were up & about... polar opposites to this year when I left Saturday's night feeling like we're a bottom 4 team.

D Mitchell
29-03-2023, 10:37 AM

Bolded bit. Me among them. Jones may well not be ready but if he's a torpedo bearing down on defenders and pressuring them, in my book, he's earned his spot.

F'scary
29-03-2023, 10:39 AM
Luke Dahlhaus v2. I wait with keen anticipation for the Art Jones Play Home. (I think it is meant to rhyme a little).

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-03-2023, 10:47 AM
I wish Arty all the best. I was keen to see him in Rnd1.. but I'm just not sure we've got the timing right on this one.
1. Adductor injury keeps him out of Rnd1 & 2...
2. The team is struggling en masse to deliver anywhere near a coherent performance in the first two rounds.
3. The team has a 5 day turnaround to face Brisbane
3. Arty comes straight in for Rnd 3 in a critical match against Brisbane.

I'm just not sure that's the perfect recipe for giving Arty the chance to shine.

I hope I'm massively wrong on this and the lad makes a decent contribution, and the rest of the team lift their standards.

Mofra
29-03-2023, 10:49 AM

Named an an emergency last week so he must be close

bornadog
29-03-2023, 11:41 AM
In: Arty, McNeil, Treloar

Out: Darcy, West, Scott,

If Lobb fit, then Mclean to sub.

MrMahatma
29-03-2023, 11:53 AM
Definitely a faster team.

Rocco Jones
29-03-2023, 11:56 AM
In- Arty, McNeil, Adz, Lobb, Gardner
Out- West, , Truck, Keath, Darcy, Tobias

If guys aren't declared fit
Khamis for Lobb
Keath for Gardy
Truck for Adz

Sub: Truck

Play Tobias pretty much only forward in VFL unless we are looking at giving him CBAs in AFL.

Grantysghost
29-03-2023, 12:19 PM

Khamis for Lobb
Keath for Gardy
Truck for Adz

Play Tobias pretty much only forward in VFL unless we are looking at giving him CBAs in AFL.

This would be mine, only question Marra or Darcy depending on how the former is travelling.

We can't have both kids in atm.

Axe Man
29-03-2023, 12:33 PM
I keep seeing people dropping Keath, can I ask what the knock is on him this season? I've been at both games so perhaps I've missed some things but I thought he has been ok and moving much better than last year.

Rocco Jones
29-03-2023, 12:34 PM
This would be mine, only question Marra or Darcy depending on how the former is travelling.

Yeah definitely not both. Darcy not in anyway regardless. Love him long term but not offering anywhere close to enough short term. Playing neither is definitely understandable. Maybe I am letting sentiment in as part of playing Marra but emotion can be good. Awful incident last week, Arty debuting. Also, not like other options are great.

Arty a bit the same. Yeah a risk but really the guys we are playing or have available to us either haven't been performing or offer a point of difference. At least Arty is a player who can possibly do something we don't have rather than another guy who dominates in VFL who can't play same role in AFL.

Rocco Jones
29-03-2023, 12:36 PM
I keep seeing people dropping Keath, can I ask what the knock is on him this season? I've been at both games so perhaps I've missed some things but I thought he has been ok and moving much better than last year.

I just rate Bruce's performances more and I rate Gardy better than both of them. Keath has been 'ok' imo as well. I have no real issue with the KPDs. Not great but way down the list of issues.

bornadog
29-03-2023, 12:38 PM

Marra will definitely be playing (Bevo Press conf on now)

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-03-2023, 12:58 PM
Marra will definitely be playing (Bevo Press conf on now)

How about Naughts?
I think Gary posted on him having a very abbreviated or limited trainging session with heavy strapping on one of his legs.

Mantis
29-03-2023, 01:03 PM

Khamis for Lobb
Keath for Gardy
Truck for Adz

Toby is a capable midfielder at AFL level.. On what we have seen over the past number of outings he is lost as a forward... he's lost his capacity to mark overhead and doesn't have the same agility/ speed he had prior to the knee injuries.

GVGjr
29-03-2023, 01:03 PM
I think Lobb is at longer odds to play than Treloar but he could surprise

bornadog
29-03-2023, 01:19 PM
How about Naughts?
I think Gary posted on him having a very abbreviated or limited trainging session with heavy strapping on one of his legs.

I didn't hear the whole presser, but not mentioned in the bit I heard

GVGjr
29-03-2023, 01:32 PM
Surely it's Arty, Gards, Treloar and Lobb in the mix.

mjp
29-03-2023, 01:45 PM
Surely it's Arty, Gards, Treloar and Lobb in the mix.

LOL.

So - coming off two losses we are considering 4x players coming off injury.

I know I'm ultra conservative with this stuff but does this seem a touch insane to anyone else?

Rocco Jones
29-03-2023, 01:51 PM
LOL.

I know I'm ultra conservative with this stuff but does this seem a touch insane to anyone else?

Huge risk but it's relative to our other options, which either poor or not really suited to the team's needs.

Lobb and Adz have only missed one game. It'll be 12 days since their previous game. If they are not right, they shouldn't play anyway of course.

Gards I guess it's the risk of him doing again but if they believe it's minimal, I am fine with it.

Arty is crazy for sure but we just don't have anyone like him available really. I much rather his risk them going with Tobias and Westy again as small forwards when we know it'll fail.

I guess it's how crazy are these moves vs how poor are our other options?

Rocco Jones
29-03-2023, 01:53 PM
Toby is a capable midfielder at AFL level.. On what we have seen over the past number of outings he is lost as a forward... he's lost his capacity to mark overhead and doesn't have the same agility/ speed he had prior to the knee injuries.

Oh I agree he is. I would have him attending CBAs but understand why he isn't. If he isn't attending CBAs and that isn't in his short term future at AFL level, I would play him in the VFL forward. A bit like the Swans do. I'd play a guy in VFL where we want them to play in AFL. Unless they are so far off selection that it's purely about development.

GVGjr
29-03-2023, 03:53 PM
LOL.

I'm confident that Gards has done the work and if Treloar says he is good to go I'm inclined to back him. Not as confident in Lobb but he might surprise and Arty is the good news story the club needs at the moment but I do share your concerns.

LifeLongBulldog
29-03-2023, 05:49 PM
Could Oskar Baker possibly play a tagging role on Lachie Neale? We can't let him run around free and get 30 to 40 possessions. Oskar Baker is a lot quicker than the other midfields we have in our team and remember he would sometimes play that role for Melbourne.

Bulldog Joe
29-03-2023, 05:54 PM
Could Oskar Baker possibly play a tagging role on Lachie Neale? We can't let him run around free and get 30 to 40 possessions. Oskar Baker is a lot quicker than the other midfields we have in our team and remember he would sometimes play that role for Melbourne.

We certainly need someone to take some defensive responsibility, but it never seems high on the priority with the coach.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-03-2023, 06:06 PM
We certainly need someone to take some defensive responsibility, but it never seems high on the priority with the coach.

That's an issue for me.
Not a defensive bone in his body yet we are not moving the ball.

bornadog
29-03-2023, 06:15 PM
That's an issue for me.
Not a defensive bone in his body yet we are not moving the ball.

Who?

G-Mo77
29-03-2023, 06:20 PM
Who?

Our Coach

bornadog
29-03-2023, 06:25 PM
Our Coach

yeah that is BS.

Our defensive system broke down last year, but that statement is just.... well

G-Mo77
29-03-2023, 06:52 PM
yeah that is BS.

Well I didn't say it but at the moment the only defence he plays is with the media.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-03-2023, 07:12 PM
yeah that is BS.

Glad you are bullish BAD.
It seems to me that the mindset is attack and relying on zone defence.
It is part of Beveridge's style to focus on one thing in exclusion to others and of course part of his success.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-03-2023, 07:24 PM
Who?

Luke Bevo.
Not as a person but as our strategist, we outgun them.
E.g. no tagging.

GVGjr
29-03-2023, 07:25 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

In: A.Jones, A.Treloar, R.Lobb, J.Johannisen
Out: S.Darcy (omitted), R.West (omitted), T.McLean (omitted), T.Duryea (illness), R.McComb (sub)

New: Arthur Jones

Last week's sub: Robbie McComb

BRISBANE

In: K.Coleman
Out: D.Rich (quad), D.Robertson (sub)

Last week's sub: Deven Robertson

GVGjr
29-03-2023, 07:27 PM
I thought Gards might have been close but I'm happy that Adz and Rory have come up. Shame to lose Duryea.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-03-2023, 07:29 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

In: A.Jones, A.Treloar, R.Lobb, J.Johannisen
Out: S.Darcy (omitted), R.West (omitted), T.McLean (omitted), T.Duryea (illness), R.McComb (sub)

New: Arthur Jones

Last week's sub: Robbie McComb

BRISBANE

In: K.Coleman
Out: D.Rich (quad), D.Robertson (sub)

Last week's sub: Deven Robertson

JJ deep back back I hope.

Bulldog4life
29-03-2023, 07:30 PM

On Charlie?

G-Mo77
29-03-2023, 07:32 PM
Make a statement by dropping West after one game. That'll teach em.

GVGjr
29-03-2023, 07:33 PM

Looks that way doesn't it.

Mantis
29-03-2023, 07:46 PM

I get what you’re saying, but he had 1 kick last week… surely we need more output than that, regardless of the role you’re playing?

G-Mo77
29-03-2023, 07:49 PM
I get what you’re saying, but he had 1 kick last week… surely we need more output than that, regardless of the role you’re playing?

Nah, I get that, just seems an easy target. I just wqnt to persist with the younger players to see if we've got something. JJ again? Why?

Mofra
29-03-2023, 07:51 PM
Training report had his calf strapped. He might not be right to go anyway - and Garcia performed a similar role, but better

Mofra
29-03-2023, 07:51 PM
I'm nervous

Grantysghost
29-03-2023, 07:53 PM
I thought Gards might have been close but I'm happy that Adz and Rory have come up. Shame to lose Duryea.

Is it though? ;)

azabob
29-03-2023, 08:02 PM
I don’t like these changes.
Lobb should come back through the VFL.
JJ should still be in the VFL team.
At minimum Khamis should’ve replaced Darcy.

F'scary
29-03-2023, 08:05 PM
Definitely a faster team.

Doesn't matter how fast they are clocked over the 20, 50, 100, whatever metre sprint if they just stand around like witches' hats during the match. Which is what most of them did last week.

josie
29-03-2023, 08:16 PM
I don’t like these changes.
Lobb should come back through the VFL.
JJ should still be in the VFL team.
At minimum Khamis should’ve replaced Darcy.

Hoping Khamis is sub

The Bulldogs Bite
29-03-2023, 08:18 PM
West was absolutely rubbish. Not surprised he's dropped, yes it's one game, but it was such a poor performance. I actually think he needs to train/play as a mid and play the same role at AFL level to have any chance of making it.

McLean has possibly been our worst over the first two weeks. Been a big fan but he looks 'heavy' - he can't run.

I thought Khamis might play to release Bruce forward but I suppose Lobb back puts an end to that. Nevertheless, I'd prefer Khamis to Keath. The latter has one final week IMO.

bornadog
29-03-2023, 08:22 PM
West was absolutely rubbish. Not surprised he's dropped, yes it's one game, but it was such a poor performance. I actually think he needs to train/play as a mid and play the same role at AFL level to have any chance of making it.

McLean has possibly been our worst over the first two weeks. Been a big fan but he looks 'heavy' - he can't run.

I thought Khamis might play to release Bruce forward but I suppose Lobb back puts an end to that. Nevertheless, I'd prefer Khamis to Keath. The latter has one final week IMO.

Agree on West and Mclean. I was disappointed in Mclean's effort against Melbourne with 5 disposals in a half and didn't set the world on fire against Saints (who did)

Keath picked up 17 disposals and 10 marks last week, so hard to drop him.

G-Mo77
29-03-2023, 08:28 PM

I didn't recognise him last week. Looks a lot bigger now.

merantau
30-03-2023, 08:15 AM
JJ is a half back flanker pure and simple. If you don’t believe me just ask Snowy on the Trams. He'll put you straight.

G-Mo77
30-03-2023, 08:58 AM
Agree on West and Mclean. I was disappointed in Mclean's effort against Melbourne with 5 disposals in a half and didn't set the world on fire against Saints (who did)

Team balance? It just seems there are around the same age, all around the same height and all around the same speed.

1 thing we did do well last week was intercept but I'm not sure if that was because of us or the Saints butchering, I'm not going to go back and find out. Hahaha.

Mantis
30-03-2023, 09:05 AM

Aren't those numbers inflated due to our game style? (The short sideways kick by the defenders... and then back the other way!)

G-Mo77
30-03-2023, 09:11 AM
Aren't those numbers inflated due to our game style? (The short sideways kick by the defenders... and then back the other way!)

Our 3 tall defenders got 10 marks each I believe. There were some intercepts but yeah, very inflated by the sideways movement.

Grantysghost
30-03-2023, 09:45 AM

He’s had 1 contested mark over the two weeks. In fact most of our defence have low contested mark numbers.

Spoils I couldn’t find.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2023, 10:35 AM
He’s had 1 contested mark over the two weeks. In fact most of our defence have low contested mark numbers.

Spoils I couldn’t find.

That used to be a strength of his game. He's almost incapable of contested/intercept marking in the last 12 months, he goes to ground too often, panics with ball in hand, and has this ridiculous propensity to paddle the ball in front of him instead of picking it up. All worrying signs.

The Underdog
30-03-2023, 10:44 AM

Spoils I couldn’t find.

To be fair, considering the ball is being delivered into our D50 about 60 times a game I’m actually kind of ok with the work of the back 6, at least defensively so far. They’ve been absolutely inundated and not with a lot of contested kicks. We start winning the midfield and putting pressure on up the ground and I reckon Keath etc will be good enough to get by. Sure it’s not Lever and May, but at least give them a chance to compete.

Axe Man
30-03-2023, 11:40 AM
To be fair, considering the ball is being delivered into our D50 about 60 times a game I’m actually kind of ok with the work of the back 6, at least defensively so far. They’ve been absolutely inundated and not with a lot of contested kicks. We start winning the midfield and putting pressure on up the ground and I reckon Keath etc will be good enough to get by. Sure it’s not Lever and May, but at least give them a chance to compete.

Agreed. Our defence has been our strongest (or perhaps least weak) line all things considered. I think Keath, Bruce and Jones have all been solid. Keath might not be at the level he was a couple of years ago but he has looked much better than the 2022 version so far.

Go_Dogs
30-03-2023, 07:14 PM

Inflated due to opp leaving him free to receive and turn it over. Notice they left him and Juice open quite often

jeemak
30-03-2023, 08:04 PM
Agreed. Our defence has been our strongest (or perhaps least weak) line all things considered. I think Keath, Bruce and Jones have all been solid. Keath might not be at the level he was a couple of years ago but he has looked much better than the 2022 version so far.

Agreed.

If we could put a little bit of pressure on the incoming ball it'd be even easier for them.

1eyedog
30-03-2023, 08:55 PM
English having a mare