PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 4 V Richmond

Scraggers
16-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Three match against Brisbane for our Round Four match against Richmond at The 'G' on Saturday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
30-03-2023, 08:49 PM
Bump

G-Mo77
30-03-2023, 11:18 PM
Lobb looked pretty sore. Not sure why we rushed him back after ankle surgery.

westbulldog
30-03-2023, 11:36 PM
Out Lobb Garcia
In Sweet or Darcy, Cleary or McComb

Go_Dogs
30-03-2023, 11:57 PM
Gardner in I suppose.

Keath out?

Keath has done some good things and some not so good, but is probably fourth in line now for key defenders.

1eyedog
31-03-2023, 12:02 AM
Garcia for McLean please. Let's just run McLean into some form Garcia nearly pissed everything against the wall on two occasions tonight with less than 5 minutes left he is just too high risk.

bornadog
31-03-2023, 12:21 AM
I am hoping Weightman is ready

1eyedog
31-03-2023, 12:24 AM
I am hoping Weightman is ready

Still 2-3 weeks only just turned the corner steering away from OP.

bornadog
31-03-2023, 12:26 AM
Still 2-3 weeks only just turned the corner steering away from OP.

Bloody hell.

He and Arty would make a great duo. They live together, imagine the two of them high fiving and bouncing around the dining table and Sitting room

josie
31-03-2023, 12:28 AM
Garcia for McLean please. Let's just run McLean into some form Garcia nearly pissed everything against the wall on two occasions tonight with less than 5 minutes left he is just too high risk.

If MC consistent after dropping West last week I think they should drop Garcia. I’d like to see Khamis for Lobb if Lobb is sore. And West be given another opportunity but I don’t think that’s going to happen so I’m ok with Maclean instead. I think Keath, Bruce and Jones hold their spots for now.

MrMahatma
31-03-2023, 02:27 AM
Wrong quote

MrMahatma
31-03-2023, 02:30 AM
Going to bed

lemmon
31-03-2023, 07:28 AM
I'd like to see us unchanged, if they're all fit.

Reward the effort from last night's side by putting them straight back out there.

Garcia was horrible and lost his head in a big game, but he brings a lot of what we need in terms of pace and aggression, so I'd be willing to give him another run. He's played less than 10 games and needs exposure to those big games.

Lobb was also below par, but I thought our delivery didn't help him there. He's here and he's going to play most weeks, I'd be leaving him in that forward line with Naughton so they can start to find some connection.

Hotdog60
31-03-2023, 07:32 AM
I'd like to see us unchanged, if they're all fit.

Reward the effort from last night's side by putting them straight back out there.

Garcia was horrible and lost his head in a big game, but he brings a lot of what we need in terms of pace and aggression, so I'd be willing to give him another run. He's played less than 10 games and needs exposure to those big games.

Lobb was also below par, but I thought our delivery didn't help him there. He's here and he's going to play most weeks, I'd be leaving him in that forward line with Naughton so they can start to find some connection.

Same for me although I would be happy with Buku for Lobb if he can't get up.

EasternWest
31-03-2023, 08:06 AM
Bloody hell.

He and Arty would make a great duo. They live together, imagine the two of them high fiving and bouncing around the dining table and Sitting room

Imagine how annoying they'd be.

Anyway Lobb out - he's obviously underdone so rest him. I'm not sure who to bring in.

I'd leave Garcia in - made some howlers but give him a chance to settle a bit.

D Mitchell
31-03-2023, 08:15 AM
Lobb looked pretty sore. Not sure why we rushed him back after ankle surgery.

Lobb did the hard work on the forward line, competitive in marking packs, bodying interceptors, and was as good at ruckwork as English when he relieved. Those qualities were glaringly lacking against St Kilda. Subbed off in the last 10 minutes or so, hope it's not serious.

Happy Days
31-03-2023, 09:38 AM
I think we gotta drop Garcia. That might’ve been full on the worst individual game I’ve ever seen. I don’t really know who for but that can’t be abided.

jeemak
31-03-2023, 09:57 AM
I think we gotta drop Garcia. That might’ve been full on the worst individual game I’ve ever seen. I don’t really know who for but that can’t be abided.

I'm not ready to forgive.....all of his efforts were unthinking and costly.

If the MC is prepared to cop it and chalk it up to experience and all that then I'm not going to be too phased.

Grantysghost
31-03-2023, 10:07 AM
I'm not ready to forgive.....all of his efforts were unthinking and costly.

If the MC is prepared to cop it and chalk it up to experience and all that then I'm not going to be too phased.

I like his energy levels. He was dirty on himself I'm marking it down to an aberration he's never done it before.
He stays for me.

bornadog
31-03-2023, 10:09 AM
I like his energy levels. He was dirty on himself I'm marking it down to an aberration he's never done it before.
He stays for me.

I was angry last night, but will forgive him.

At this stage, barring any injuries from last night, NO CHANGE

jeemak
31-03-2023, 10:12 AM
He stays for me.

You don't think that after the first one he may have started to think things through? Or the second?

I'm all for energy levels, providing they're directed at doing good things rather than shitty/ silly things.

Axe Man
31-03-2023, 10:16 AM
I didn't mind Garcia's game overall. I thought he was a bit unlucky with the Dunkley 50, wasn't really that late just unfortunate that he hooked his arm and it swung him horizonal. Was worth it in any case ;). Second 50 was a horrible brain fade but he knew that himself instantly.

Bevo said Lobb was fine, just jarred his ankle slightly but the sub was also about introducing some more run, just as Brisbane did with theirs.

I thought Keath was good last night, was a large part of us moving the ball from defensive 50. As much as I like Gardner that isn't his bag. I'm unsure how we go about fitting 4 KPDs into 3 spots as none deserve to be dropped.

I would also go no change.

Grantysghost
31-03-2023, 10:31 AM
You don't think that after the first one he may have started to think things through? Or the second?

I'm all for energy levels, providing they're directed at doing good things rather than shitty/ silly things.

It was frustrating. Have to say at the game I couldn't tell what a couple were for. The Dunkley one I saw, the other one was it knocking the ball out of the hand? There was a third I couldn't work out either.

If it happens regularly I'm with you.

Axe Man
31-03-2023, 10:38 AM
It was frustrating. Have to say at the game I couldn't tell what a couple were for. The Dunkley one I saw, the other one was it knocking the ball out of the hand? There was a third I couldn't work out either.

If it happens regularly I'm with you.

The Andrews one he smartly had his hands up to prevent a quick handball off and then inexplicably decided to knock the ball out of his hands and you could see the WTF have I just done realisation instantly come over him.

Virgin-Dog
31-03-2023, 11:07 AM
Really hope Garcia isn?t dropped. Usually I?d say you need to punish that level of poor discipline, and yes he did nearly cost us the game with the Andrews 50m, but he?s also one of the only players who can honestly raise their hand and say they?ve put in maximum effort for two games in a row. We need his pace and pressure in the side. If Weightman was ready, then maybe I could see us dropping him.

Hoping for only change to be:
OUT: Lobb (sore)
IN: West or Darcy

Gardner is best 22 but I’d give him another week or two to build in the VFL

JanLorMill
31-03-2023, 11:28 AM
Who we playing as a small forward if Garcia is dropped?

JanLorMill
31-03-2023, 11:29 AM
No room for Gardner ATM, his time will come.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-03-2023, 11:37 AM
I think we need to go easier on Garcia. He had a mare but he goes about it the right way. He's hard at it and gives his all. Sometimes in sport you just have a bad night where nothing is working for you. He'll learn. If someone was banging the door down at VFL level then I wouldn't argue against dropping him, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

bornadog
31-03-2023, 11:57 AM
Does Duryea come back in? Who does he replace?

lemmon
31-03-2023, 12:02 PM
Does Duryea come back in? Who does he replace?

Not for mine. I liked the mix back there last night, and thought the team effort on Cameron was terrific without our most notable 'stopping' small defender.

The backline has mostly functioned well this year, I think letting them spend some time playing together will help with cohesion. Gardner and Duryea have a roll to play this year, no doubt, but I think the incumbents deserve first crack.

Danjul
31-03-2023, 12:05 PM
Lobb did the hard work on the forward line, competitive in marking packs, bodying interceptors, and was as good at ruckwork as English when he relieved. Those qualities were glaringly lacking against St Kilda. Subbed off in the last 10 minutes or so, hope it's not serious.
The general comment around where I was sitting was Lobb wasn?t moving well, right from the start of the game. At one stage I thought he was limping noticeably. Couldn?t keep up with the game movement. Good to see the strong mark and accurate shot at goal.

Rocco Jones
31-03-2023, 12:05 PM
Sunny had a shocker. I don't think being 'dropped' has to be a punishment/purely negative, can still show love and make it a development thing. Door is very much still open short term, just go back and kill it at VFL level. Also fine if we still it's best for his confidence to keep him in.

I would replace Bruce with Gardy. Nothing really against Juice, more about the MCG and having Gardner's ability to keep up running wise.

McNeill in for Garcia. Would prioritise need for speed in filling out the 22. Really do not want guys who are killing it with CBAs in VFL who won't get the time in AFL.

Darcy in if Lobb isn't right.

Doc perhaps as sub?

Bullies
31-03-2023, 12:09 PM
I didn't mind Garcia's game overall. I thought he was a bit unlucky with the Dunkley 50, wasn't really that late just unfortunate that he hooked his arm and it swung him horizonal. Was worth it in any case ;). Second 50 was a horrible brain fade but he knew that himself instantly.

Bevo said Lobb was fine, just jarred his ankle slightly but the sub was also about introducing some more run, just as Brisbane did with theirs.

I thought Keath was good last night, was a large part of us moving the ball from defensive 50. As much as I like Gardner that isn't his bag. I'm unsure how we go about fitting 4 KPDs into 3 spots as none deserve to be dropped.

I would also go no change. I think Gardner would play on Tom Lynch. He plays close checking which is something you need on a player like Lynch.

lemmon
31-03-2023, 12:18 PM
I think Gardner would play on Tom Lynch. He plays close checking which is something you need on a player like Lynch.

I think Jones is our best match-up for Lynch. Gardner's at his best when he gets a run and jump at the ball - I don't see that happening playing on Lynch too often.

If Gardner comes in, I'd have thought it would be for the mobile Riewoldt who might have too much agility for the three that played last night.

In saying that, I'd start with Jones to Lynch, Keath to Riewoldt and Bruce on Samson Ryan (would look to exploit that and free Bruce up to play the intercepting role we say in rounds 1 and 2).

Side note - I massively underrated how good a player Jones had become at Carlton. His ability and courage in the air is outstanding and he's the best of our key defending talls by foot.

Critter
31-03-2023, 12:42 PM
I'd resist the temptation to bring back Duryea. JJ played quite well last night and his pace was a real bonus. I'd look to making him a permanent member of the back 6 and would also immediately bring in Gardner. Let the current set-up settle and get used to playing along side each other.

Bruce wasn't too bad at all but I feel he would be better value for us up forward. Our entry into the forward line is appalling, still. I have little faith in our ability to turn this around. So, if we're going to drop the ball on the forwards' heads, we need a strong body who can provide a contest - either to mark, bring the ball to ground or to clear a path. Bruce is that strong body. He doesn't shy away from a physical contest, has forward craft and he now looks to be nearing match fitness. Lobb needs a rest - mainly, to get fully fit but also because his form over the last three weeks doesn't warrant selection. Bruce can give English a chop out in the ruck when necessary. I believe it's unacceptable for our tall forwards to be watching opposition backs flying uncontested for marks. As was too often the case last night. We need to be present at every marking contest.

And, I agree that we need to go easy on Garcia. Sure, he had a nightmare at moments but his errors can be coached. I like his endeavour and aggression and the fact the regularly gets to contests. He has smarts and he will improve steadily with game time. Keep playing him.

azabob
31-03-2023, 01:45 PM
Gardner in I suppose.

Keath out?

Keath has done some good things and some not so good, but is probably fourth in line now for key defenders.

What about Lobb out and Bruce forward?

GVGjr
31-03-2023, 04:01 PM
The general comment around where I was sitting was Lobb wasn?t moving well, right from the start of the game. At one stage I thought he was limping noticeably. Couldn?t keep up with the game movement. Good to see the strong mark and accurate shot at goal.

I agree, mentioned early in the game that he looked liked he was wearing ill fitting boots.

Hotdog60
31-03-2023, 07:23 PM
It was most likely precautionary but in one of the videos in the rooms Treloar was having his right hamstring iced.

GVGjr
31-03-2023, 07:25 PM
It was most likely precautionary but in one of the videos in the rooms Treloar was having his right hamstring iced.

I'd say that is a normal precautionary step for him after every game and at the training sessions it's having dencorub applied.

Go_Dogs
31-03-2023, 09:30 PM
What about Lobb out and Bruce forward?

Yeah don’t mind it.

Lobb kicked 2 goals, which on balance is take week on week from him, but really struggled to impact in most contests that were near him. If he’s not quite right, then I like this move.

azabob
31-03-2023, 09:31 PM
Yeah don’t mind it.

Lobb kicked 2 goals, which on balance is take week on week from him, but really struggled to impact in most contests that were near him. If he’s not quite right, then I like this move.

What puzzles me with Lobb is why is Naughton still taking inside F50 ruck contests?

bornadog
31-03-2023, 09:31 PM
Yeah don’t mind it.

Can't see Lobb being dropped unless he has an injury.

macca
31-03-2023, 09:47 PM
Our coaching staff should be watching the Collingwood vs Richmond game tonight. the pies are really choking the tiger's mid and getting a heap of fwd 50. Pies have kicked 3.10 with 8 mins left in the 2nd quarter.

yes this game could be 30 point difference if they had kicked straight.

jeemak
31-03-2023, 10:05 PM
If Lobb's out Bruce goes forward, if Gardner is coming in.

If Lobb's in and Gardner's in, Bruce or Keath go out and we back in a defencive unit for at least a month.

Outside of that I'd be looking to reward a disciplined reserves effort and drop an undisciplined one. So somebody in for Garcia.

Garcia wasn't at all good, panicked with the footy/ didn't think his way through situations and also lost his head a few times inexplicably (he had -6 Super Coach points for a whole game!). It could be an aberration and as I've said I'm not losing my mind if he's retained. Just think about how this board would be if a McComb or Hannan was as poor as Garcia was and did the three silly things he did that cost us. It would be out of control.

jeemak
31-03-2023, 10:08 PM
Garcia last night:

https://y.yarn.co/3d4f3725-69f8-4f0a-8bae-e76273de2108.mp4

GVGjr
31-03-2023, 11:23 PM
If Lobb's out Bruce goes forward, if Gardner is coming in.

If Lobb's in and Gardner's in, Bruce or Keath go out and we back in a defencive unit for at least a month.

Outside of that I'd be looking to reward a disciplined reserves effort and drop an undisciplined one. So somebody in for Garcia.

Garcia wasn't at all good, panicked with the footy/ didn't think his way through situations and also lost his head a few times inexplicably (he had -6 Super Coach points for a whole game!). It could be an aberration and as I've said I'm not losing my mind if he's retained. Just think about how this board would be if a McComb or Hannan was as poor as Garcia was and did the three silly things he did that cost us. It would be out of control.

I like your thinking on all the scenarios and with Garcia I don't see why we should stick with him. It was an appalling performance and you're right that it is was some of the older guys dishing up the same they'd be written off and criticized.

I'll be very interested in seeing how Lobb trains next week because very early in the game he was struggling with his running.

jeemak
01-04-2023, 12:04 AM
I like your thinking on all the scenarios and with Garcia I don't see why we should stick with him. It was an appalling performance and you're right that it is was some of the older guys dishing up the same they'd be written off and criticized.

I'll be very interested in seeing how Lobb trains next week because very early in the game he was struggling with his running.

There's also an element of wiping someone in front of a bunch of players who are pretty happy with themselves after one week, especially how in jeopardy Garcia put the result in.

It's nothing against the kid, but it's just not acceptable and we need to see better concentration and behaviour. Winning or losing shouldn't change it.

1eyedog
01-04-2023, 12:39 AM
There's also an element of wiping someone in front of a bunch of players who are pretty happy with themselves after one week, especially how in jeopardy Garcia put the result in.

It's nothing against the kid, but it's just not acceptable and we need to see better concentration and behaviour. Winning or losing shouldn't change it.

Agreed we can't be seen to be ok with accepting that. Footy is too cut-throat and the mistakes were too great. It would be a far better lesson with greater emphasis if he went back to Footscray to contemplate those brain fades. They were borderline game defining.

It's pure emotion I get it but if we don't make a stand against such undisciplined acts it has the potential to either normalise within him internally or lower the bar of what is expected in terms of our standards across the entire team.

Plus the lad is going to cost me a new telly if it happens again.

Pretty sure Bevo will keep him in the team though.

jeemak
01-04-2023, 01:11 AM
Agreed we can't be seen to be ok with accepting that. Footy is too cut-throat and the mistakes were too great. It would be a far better lesson with greater emphasis if he went back to Footscray to contemplate those brain fades. They were borderline game defining.

It's pure emotion I get it but if we don't make a stand against such undisciplined acts it has the potential to either normalise within him internally or lower the bar of what is expected in terms of our standards across the entire team.

Plus the lad is going to cost me a new telly if it happens again.

Pretty sure Bevo will keep him in the team though.

There has to be non-negotiables. Thinking has to be the biggest of them all.

Bigdog
01-04-2023, 01:17 AM
Gardner was really ordinary in the VFL. I’d let him get some touch.

I’d probably swap McNeil for Garcia.

If Lobb is out I’d bring in Buku.

jeemak
01-04-2023, 02:08 AM
Words can't describe how bad Crozier's first impact on the game was that resulted in Neale's goal, first for the Lions.

Almost enough to keep him out and bring Duryea in, especially given later in the game Crozier being sucked into the contest.

soupman
01-04-2023, 07:32 AM
Yeah if Duryea is good I'm dropping Crozier.

JJ made our attempt to trun him into a forward for 5 years look futile, just play him down back again, that's his best game in years.

If Lobb is no good (he was very no good despite two goals) I'd run with Khamis.

Gardner can earn his way back in, the key defenders are doing well and I don't like the idea of switching Bruce forward when he is going pretty well atm.

I'm happy to drop Garcia but don't think I like any of the alternatives enough. McNeill is fine I guess.

Grantysghost
01-04-2023, 08:35 AM

Harsh G it's not like he set the world record for turnovers!
#savesunny

GVGjr
01-04-2023, 10:29 AM
Yeah if Duryea is good I'm dropping Crozier.

JJ made our attempt to trun him into a forward for 5 years look futile, just play him down back again, that's his best game in years.

If Lobb is no good (he was very no good despite two goals) I'd run with Khamis.

Gardner can earn his way back in, the key defenders are doing well and I don't like the idea of switching Bruce forward when he is going pretty well atm.

I'm happy to drop Garcia but don't think I like any of the alternatives enough. McNeill is fine I guess.

I've been okay with what Crozier has done but I rate Duryea higher and I don't mind the Khamis for Lobb suggestion if Lobb isn't right. We could of course throw Bruce forward and use Gardner but I think Gards probably needs another week.

I just don't think we can accept Garcia's performance and we have to consider West and McNeil.

bornadog
01-04-2023, 03:45 PM
I had a look at the reply, plus I attended the second half of the VFL game.

From the VFL, Buku and West faded in the second half after starting well, West kicked three in the half, but ended up with only 15 disposals playing mostly midfield. Buku didn't get the ball much either. Gardner was ok, but not really 100%, so I agree with Bigdog.

McLean was ok, but I would wait and see how he goes next week.

Changes:

In Duryea

Out: Garcia

Caleb to play small forward role.

azabob
01-04-2023, 04:06 PM
I had a look at the reply, plus I attended the second half of the VFL game.

From the VFL, Buku and West faded in the second half after starting well, West kicked three in the half, but ended up with only 15 disposals playing mostly midfield. Buku didn't get the ball much either. Gardner was ok, but not really 100%, so I agree with Bigdog.

McLean was ok, but I would wait and see how he goes next week.

Changes:

In Duryea

Out: Garcia

Caleb to play small forward role.

If we are trying to find roles for Daniel should we actually be dropping him instead?

He’s struggled in defence, he’s struggled as a midfielder, I’m not sure he is quick enough or applies enough defensive pressure to succeed as a small forward.

bornadog
01-04-2023, 05:12 PM
If we are trying to find roles for Daniel should we actually be dropping him instead?

He’s struggled in defence, he’s struggled as a midfielder, I’m not sure he is quick enough or applies enough defensive pressure to succeed as a small forward.

If he can play the half forward role and deliver the ball to the talls that is where I would like to see him

lemmon
01-04-2023, 06:48 PM

I thought he was pretty good rolling through the midfield, particularly in the first half against Brisbane. Didn't get a heap of it but he did some really classy things.

D Mitchell
01-04-2023, 11:30 PM
Imagine how annoying they'd be.

Anyway Lobb out - he's obviously underdone so rest him. I'm not sure who to bring in.

I'd leave Garcia in - made some howlers but give him a chance to settle a bit.

Lobb did the hard things, pushing, shoving, working his way to the front of packs, keeping up English's standards when he relieved. Underdone or carrying an injury, as long as he's as fit as he was on Thursday, select him. Garcia was fierce and relentless. He'll learn from those 3 howlers, Bont and Bev will make sure of that. He's earned his spot for the R'mond game.

Mantis
03-04-2023, 08:48 AM

We should stick with him because in sense of being non-disciplined that was a one-off.. you could see by the end of the game his confidence was shot to pieces and the fumbling and ''trying too hard'' took over.

When most his more senior team-mates were ''taking the piss'' in terms of effort against St.Kilda he was still giving his all... so I would hope he gets a few cuddles this week, is reminded of what is expected in terms of effort and discipline and we give him the opportunity to right his wrongs.

Danjul
03-04-2023, 09:31 AM
We should stick with him because in sense of being non-disciplined that was a one-off.. you could see by the end of the game his confidence was shot to pieces and the fumbling and ''trying too hard'' took over.

When most his more senior team-mates were ''taking the piss'' in terms of effort against St.Kilda he was still giving his all... so I would hope he gets a few cuddles this week, is reminded of what is expected in terms of effort and discipline and we give him the opportunity to right his wrongs.
After quarter time he was a negative, doing more for the opposition than the Dogs.

people see potential but at this stage of the season that has to be given some polish in the reserves.

We are already taking a gamble with Lobb but he has shown that he can make good use of limited opportunities.

1eyedog
03-04-2023, 11:10 AM

Yep a few cuddles should fix it.

Not only is he prone to brain fades in the worst possible instances he's also a panic merchant with the ball under any type of pressure. Sure he gives 100% effort runs hard and applies defensive pressure but when he gets it it's like he's playing for the opposition. You could find another 1000 Garcia's in the State league.

I don't want a player in the team because they 'crack in'. He has to make a contribution when he gets his opportunity and he just doesn't.

The Underdog
03-04-2023, 11:25 AM
I've been okay with what Crozier has done but I rate Duryea higher and I don't mind the Khamis for Lobb suggestion if Lobb isn't right. We could of course throw Bruce forward and use Gardner but I think Gards probably needs another week.

I just don't think we can accept Garcia's performance and we have to consider West and McNeil.

I know it won't be a popular suggestion, but after two weeks as the sub, does McComb need to play a full game at one level or another and does he then come in for Garcia? Thought he was ok in the short time he was on ground the other night. Maybe Garcia gets the sub vest as a not quite demotion, with the opportunity to make amends at senior level when he gets on.

bornadog
03-04-2023, 12:14 PM
I know it won't be a popular suggestion, but after two weeks as the sub, does McComb need to play a full game at one level or another and does he then come in for Garcia? Thought he was ok in the short time he was on ground the other night. Maybe Garcia gets the sub vest as a not quite demotion, with the opportunity to make amends at senior level when he gets on.

McComb needs a few games in the VFL otherwise he is in danger of not having played a full game for 4 weeks. I don't believe we can justify playing him at AFL level

Mantis
03-04-2023, 12:28 PM
Yep a few cuddles should fix it.

Not only is he prone to brain fades in the worst possible instances he's also a panic merchant with the ball under any type of pressure. Sure he gives 100% effort runs hard and applies defensive pressure but when he gets it it's like he's playing for the opposition. You could find another 1000 Garcia's in the State league.

I don't want a player in the team because they 'crack in'. He has to make a contribution when he gets his opportunity and he just doesn't.

I like Garcia so views are biased, but I would think he's made meaningful contributions in most games he's played, but given he's been yo-yo'ed lots of times we either stick with him now or potentially discard him forever.

He played shit and you could see on his face how much it was hurting him, but I would like us to stick fat and give him the opportunity to make amends... I watch in anticipation to how the MC manage this one.

Sedat
03-04-2023, 12:28 PM
There was some good vision of McComb putting time and effort to body Harris Andrews that nullified his intercept aerial dominance in the last qtr and helped us get some vital looks at goal. If he can execute such clear role-based instructions he could thrive in our F50 as a pressure player on the oppo intercept threat - there will be at least one such player we need to contend with every week.

G-Mo77
03-04-2023, 01:01 PM
I like Garcia so views are biased, but I would think he's made meaningful contributions in most games he's played, but given he's been yo-yo'ed lots of times we either stick with him now or potentially discard him forever.

He played shit and you could see on his face how much it was hurting him, but I would like us to stick fat and give him the opportunity to make amends... I watch in anticipation to how the MC manage this one.

Agee with this. I'm not that high on him but feel we need to give him another shot to say that they have confidence in him and help him feel more stable. FWIW I thought we should have done the same with West last week.

Happy Days
03-04-2023, 01:39 PM
There was some good vision of McComb putting time and effort to body Harris Andrews that nullified his intercept aerial dominance in the last qtr and helped us get some vital looks at goal. If he can execute such clear role-based instructions he could thrive in our F50 as a pressure player on the oppo intercept threat - there will be at least one such player we need to contend with every week.

Maybe. But how much faith can you really put in a guy who you can’t trust at all with the ball in hand. Particularly if he’s the one charged with finishing everyone else’s work, which will inevitably happen if he’s played inside 50, pressure player or not.

SquirrelGrip
03-04-2023, 02:16 PM
Maybe. But how much faith can you really put in a guy who you can’t trust at all with the ball in hand. Particularly if he’s the one charged with finishing everyone else’s work, which will inevitably happen if he’s played inside 50, pressure player or not.

I remember when I didn't trust Matthew Boyd, Liam Picken or Dale Morris with ball in hand. Players work hard to overcome their weaknesses. Our coaches are in the best place to make that call.

Sedat
03-04-2023, 02:19 PM
It's a very fair point - let's just say I trust him with such a clearly defined specific role more so than a "free-wheeling part of the midfield rotations" role. This role has less scope for creative license and plays to McComb's strengths much better IMO.

Ozza
03-04-2023, 02:38 PM

I think he will be played in a defensive role on Daniel Rioli this week. And I'm also supportive of him getting another opportunity this week to make amends. He won't need to be told what he did wrong on Thursday night - and would have had a tough time sleeping had we lost (even may have despite the win). I'm backing him in - at least with the likes of Weightman, McNeil and Vandermeer all being unavailable - there is a spot for someone with pressure and pace there that we need to fill - and with that in mind, great to see JJ in defence where he belongs/knows what he's doing.

The Underdog
03-04-2023, 03:04 PM
McComb needs a few games in the VFL otherwise he is in danger of not having played a full game for 4 weeks. I don't believe we can justify playing him at AFL level

It worked ok with Arty Jones and McComb hasn't even been injured as far as I know.

mjp
03-04-2023, 04:10 PM
We seem to be shredding Garcia. Effort based errors are still errors (I know) but they are WAY better than mistakes of omission - as in, it's better to try and fail than just stand off to the side and let things pass you by...

We are talking about the kid who did this right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkSKJp2hrew

mjp
03-04-2023, 04:16 PM

Be careful. If you say nice things about McComb then it might be a sign of the apocalypse.

Remember: He's hardly played and he clearly tries his heart out. Once upon a time - as a supporter group - we would embrace the McComb story...we should (as a group) aspire to return to those days.

EasternWest
03-04-2023, 04:57 PM
Be careful. If you say nice things about McComb then it might be a sign of the apocalypse.

Remember: He's hardly played and he clearly tries his heart out. Once upon a time - as a supporter group - we would embrace the McComb story...we should (as a group) aspire to return to those days.

#bringbackAddison

Mantis
03-04-2023, 05:18 PM
We seem to be shredding Garcia. Effort based errors are still errors (I know) but they are WAY better than mistakes of omission - as in, it's better to try and fail than just stand off to the side and let things pass you by...

The 50m against Dunkley was unlucky.. he was a little late and got caught up his jumper which made it look bad.

The Harris Andrews one (feigned handball) was a sliding doors moment.. the natural reaction is to go to block the handball and he got it wrong. In yesterday's Melb v Syd there was 2 like instances late in the game... Clarry Oliver smothered Ladham's handball at a crucial time in the 3rd qtr when Syd had momentum... the spilled ball made it's way to Fritsch who goaled and it was pretty much game over. In the last qtr Parker did the same thing as Garcia in that he reacted to movement, got pinged the 50m and Melb scored another goal to rub salt into the wounds.... it's a fine line!

Danjul
03-04-2023, 05:24 PM
Agee with this. I'm not that high on him but feel we need to give him another shot to say that they have confidence in him and help him feel more stable. FWIW I thought we should have done the same with West last week.
I think the trip back to the vfl would have helped West. He got his hands on the ball and kicked a few goals.

It would probably do the same for Garcia.

If we want to give someone more experience I would suggest Jones the younger because we are lacking the speed that he displayed on Thursday. Not expecting a lot but a little more of that would be encouraging.

bornadog
03-04-2023, 05:24 PM
The 50m against Dunkley was unlucky.. he was a little late and got caught up his jumper which made it look bad.

The Harris Andrews one (feigned handball) was a sliding doors moment.. the natural reaction is to go to block the handball and he got it wrong. In yesterday's Melb v Syd there was 2 like instances late in the game... Clarry Oliver smothered Ladham's handball at a crucial time in the 3rd qtr when Syd had momentum... the spilled ball made it's way to Fritsch who goaled and it was pretty much game over. In the last qtr Parker did the same thing as Garcia in that he reacted to movement, got pinged the 50m and Melb scored another goal to rub salt into the wounds.... it's a fine line!

He also gave away another 50m penalty in the second quarter (or first, can't remember whichone)

Bulldog Joe
03-04-2023, 06:02 PM
He also gave away another 50m penalty in the second quarter (or first, can't remember whichone)

That one was I think for moving after called to stand.

bornadog
03-04-2023, 06:03 PM
That one was I think for moving after called to stand.

Yes I think so. Again stupid AFL BS

The Underdog
03-04-2023, 06:10 PM
Maybe. But how much faith can you really put in a guy who you can?t trust at all with the ball in hand. Particularly if he?s the one charged with finishing everyone else?s work, which will inevitably happen if he?s played inside 50, pressure player or not.

I?d probably rather him having a set shot over Bont or Naughts at the moment to be honest

1eyedog
03-04-2023, 10:03 PM

Talking about a kid who didn't make effort based errors at all he made two stupid errors one involved slapping the ball out of the opposition's hand. Legit rather he did nothing in both instances personally. I just thought it was incredibly immature and a real worry.

But ok leave him in if you think he'll learn it's not like there's much behind him worth swapping in anyway I suppose.

jeemak
03-04-2023, 10:13 PM
Talking about a kid who didn't make effort based errors at all he made two stupid errors one involved slapping the ball out of the opposition's hand. Legit rather he did nothing in both instances personally. I just thought it was incredibly immature and a real worry.

But ok leave him in if you think he'll learn it's not like there's much behind him worth swapping in anyway I suppose.

I like him, however I'm with you, they weren't effort based errors they were all concentration based/ discipline related errors.

Not standing.
Unnecessary front on contact after a mark.
Slapping the ball out of an opponents hand post a mark (and let's not make excuses that he was doing anything other than that).

All of that points to his head and subsequent actions going completely against what we were trying to achieve.

Dogs 24/7
04-04-2023, 09:40 AM
Looking at the training report it looks like Duryea is over his illness so I wonder who he replaces. Is he an automatic return for us?

azabob
04-04-2023, 10:04 AM
Geez, I don't know. For a team which has lacked any sort of intent in the first two weeks I'm ok for Garcia to play again.

We need one of Garcia or West to stand up and become part of a second or third midfield rotation.

Unfortunately West looks so far off it we need to back Garcia in for four weeks.

Mitcha
04-04-2023, 10:04 AM

In that clip McComb's shepherd to allow Dunkley free passage to the ball and offload to Baz is a thing of beauty and should not be under-estimated. Role players knowing their role.

Scorlibo
04-04-2023, 10:44 AM
Bevo on 360 last night joked about having Riley locked up in a straight jacket after the three fifty metre penalties. Sounds like the situation is being handled with a good amount of brevity. I thought he stuffed up with the Harris Andrews one, but was unlucky with the other two.

In terms of what he brings, I think he's a bit more than just a player who cracks in hard. He covers the ground really well and has quick feet. He's a good compliment imo to the rest of the team. I'd like to see him get a good run at it in the senior team, he's in that window where improvement should come, and we already know that we'll get top shelf performances from him in the VFL.

GVGjr
04-04-2023, 10:56 AM
Bevo on 360 last night joked about having Riley locked up in a straight jacket after the three fifty metre penalties. Sounds like the situation is being handled with a good amount of brevity. I thought he stuffed up with the Harris Andrews one, but was unlucky with the other two.

In terms of what he brings, I think he's a bit more than just a player who cracks in hard. He covers the ground really well and has quick feet. He's a good compliment imo to the rest of the team. I'd like to see him get a good run at it in the senior team, he's in that window where improvement should come, and we already know that we'll get top shelf performances from him in the VFL.

With the return of Duryea likely this week and with Weightman likely the following week, Sonny might get just one more chance to impress. He will need to make the most of it because even if you pass on considering the 50mtr penalties he's still got some work to do to lift his performance to an acceptable level.

Go_Dogs
04-04-2023, 06:51 PM
If he stays it’s a different approach to the one West got, rightly or wrongly.

JanLorMill
04-04-2023, 07:10 PM
If he stays it’s a different approach to the one West got, rightly or wrongly. Why? West didn't get near the ball vs saints to give away a 50.

1eyedog
04-04-2023, 07:25 PM
I like him, however I'm with you, they weren't effort based errors they were all concentration based/ discipline related errors.

Not standing.
Unnecessary front on contact after a mark.
Slapping the ball out of an opponents hand post a mark (and let's not make excuses that he was doing anything other than that).

All of that points to his head and subsequent actions going completely against what we were trying to achieve.

He not only gave the ball back to the opposition three times he accumulated 10 disposals for the match (-3 if you count his three 50m penalties against) and two tackles. 7 disposals and 2 tackles.

Surely Tobes or someone???

I'm not gonna rat on him anymore I feel like a prick so let's just wait and see.

GVGjr
04-04-2023, 07:25 PM
If he stays it’s a different approach to the one West got, rightly or wrongly.

Good point and I wonder if the the reports of wet weather on the weekend helps Sonny's and Westy's chance of being selected?

jeemak
04-04-2023, 07:37 PM
He not only gave the ball back to the opposition three times he accumulated 10 disposals for the match (-3 if you count his three 50m penalties against) and two tackles. 7 disposals and 2 tackles.

Surely Tobes or someone???

I'm not gonna rat on him anymore I feel like a prick so let's just wait and see.

I could understand if he ripped it apart outside of that, but what did he do when he had the footy? Did he use it in a composed way? Are his two tackles enough for the role he plays (Charlie Cameron laid five - that's freakish and possibly not a fair comparison)?

Did he hit the scoreboard? I know that's not how we judge forwards anymore, but it does help if they score.

Anyway, I think people know where I stand on this as well! So that's probably enough from me on the subject.

G-Mo77
04-04-2023, 08:58 PM
Looking at the training report it looks like Duryea is over his illness so I wonder who he replaces. Is he an automatic return for us?

I personally don't think he's an automatic selection. I'm not rushing him back in.

mjp
04-04-2023, 11:04 PM
Why? West didn't get near the ball vs saints to give away a 50.

I don't know how comments like this help.

West was poor vs the Saints and it was hard to argue for his inclusion vs Brisbane. At the same time, he is so often the 'target' whenever he plays and we lose (I posted about this last year but I'm too lazy to do the homework again).

My comment about Garcia making effort based errors has also been taken somewhat out of context. Did I say every mistake he made was 'effort based'? No - and I guess I was specifically referring to the Dunkley 50m penalty. But what I did mean was that there are errors happening all of the time and a lot of them are simply players deciding not to run, not to push across to help - and these are invisible to a lot of us (and to ALL of us stuck with the broadcast view (side on)) of the game via tv. But we give players who make those errors a pass and can be incredibly harsh on those who DO push across but then give away a free-kick, or fumble the footy or whatever....but that mistake might be coming after a 50m sprint when they ran past 3x oppo players and two of their team-mates.

i just don't think we have the full story enough of the time and young players like West and Garcia - particularly given they probably both know their place in the side is on the line every time they run out (incredible pressure) - need us to cut them a bit of slack.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-04-2023, 10:25 AM
I don't know how comments like this help.

West was poor vs the Saints and it was hard to argue for his inclusion vs Brisbane. At the same time, he is so often the 'target' whenever he plays and we lose (I posted about this last year but I'm too lazy to do the homework again).

My comment about Garcia making effort based errors has also been taken somewhat out of context. Did I say every mistake he made was 'effort based'? No - and I guess I was specifically referring to the Dunkley 50m penalty. But what I did mean was that there are errors happening all of the time and a lot of them are simply players deciding not to run, not to push across to help - and these are invisible to a lot of us (and to ALL of us stuck with the broadcast view (side on)) of the game via tv. But we give players who make those errors a pass and can be incredibly harsh on those who DO push across but then give away a free-kick, or fumble the footy or whatever....but that mistake might be coming after a 50m sprint when they ran past 3x oppo players and two of their team-mates.

i just don't think we have the full story enough of the time and young players like West and Garcia - particularly given they probably both know their place in the side is on the line every time they run out (incredible pressure) - need us to cut them a bit of slack.

Good points.

In the review with the players, it could be framed as a positive. 'THIS is the type of energy we want - up in the opponents face, frontal pressure. On these occasions Riley stepped over the mark and we don't want to give away 50s, but bring this effort and energy because this is our identity'.

If we drop him, not only does it effect the player, it potentially permeates through the group / other 15-30 listed plyers (i.e. Can't make a mistake or else I won't play).

Hotdog60
05-04-2023, 01:29 PM
It won't happen but I'm kinda warming to the idea of telling Tim we would like him to take Lobbs place for this game and bring Sweet in to handle Nankervis.
This would hopefully nullify Bolton and Taranto getting too much clearance out of the centre.
Although Tim will most likely see this as a you can't beat Nankervis and may dent his confidence.

Danjul
05-04-2023, 04:10 PM
It won't happen but I'm kinda warming to the idea of telling Tim we would like him to take Lobbs place for this game and bring Sweet in to handle Nankervis.
This would hopefully nullify Bolton and Taranto getting too much clearance out of the centre.
Although Tim will most likely see this as a you can't beat Nankervis and may dent his confidence.
English is improving and eventually will be beyond reproach. Most of the problem has been due to being given the role of number one ruckman a few years too early.

When it was English and Dunkley (or anyone except Daniel) the team suffered. Unfortunately the concept of ruck was never developed as a potent weapon to boost English and allow flexibility in games. Now it?s too late, everyone has adapted to the plan.

Your suggestion has merit but it?s a little on the visionary side.

lemmon
05-04-2023, 04:27 PM

Interesting one. If I was Nankervis, I think I'd love the idea of going up against Sweet in the ruck. It's just a less-accomplished, less-experienced version of himself - think Toby looks at that match-up and feels like he can bully Sweet.

If I'm Nankervis, I'm nervous about matching up with English because his tank and ability to go with English on the outside is going to be pushed to the limit. I think English gets on his bike, pushes back as the spare man in defence, pushes forward to provide a target inside 50 and Toby is going to be seriously stretched on transition.

The Tiges had +17 hitouts against Collingwood last week but lost centre clearances 11-7 - that's all with the Pies not having a ruckman for a good chunk of the second half. I'm pretty comfortable with the ruck match-up this week.

bornadog
05-04-2023, 05:11 PM
If Cody and Duryea are ready, who comes out?

Grantysghost
05-04-2023, 06:16 PM

Cody in for Jones I'd guess.

Not sure who misses in the vfl for Duryea.

Hotdog60
05-04-2023, 06:31 PM

I think either McComb, Garcia or Scott although I would to give Garcia another go I can't see Scott getting dropped. The other thing is do they need time in the VFL.

bornadog
05-04-2023, 06:35 PM
Haha, I know what you are doing :D

azabob
05-04-2023, 08:40 PM

Surely we?d trial Weightman and Jones in the same team?

Out of interest in 2021 SF night who were you going for in the one on one contest late Duryea V Cameron? ;)

Grantysghost
05-04-2023, 08:51 PM
Surely we?d trial Weightman and Jones in the same team?

Out of interest in 2021 SF night who were you going for in the one on one contest late Duryea V Cameron? ;)

Football was the winner

Axe Man
06-04-2023, 10:42 AM

No way we would drop Jones after last week unless he has pulled up sore or something.

I know the training reports suggest Cody looked right to go but Bell was fairly clear in his injury report that they were targeting the following week v Port. I guess we will find out later today.

1eyedog
06-04-2023, 10:54 AM
McComb in the starting 22 this week I'm working with a young lad who plays cricket with his Brother. McComb is a lock.

Robbie was told at training last night.

Happy Days
06-04-2023, 11:02 AM
McComb in the starting 22 this week I'm working with a young lad who plays cricket with his Brother. McComb is a lock.

Robbie was told at training last night.

Thinking a switch with Garcia?

Us playing McComb generally bums me out but he was pretty good in what he did last week. Here’s to a handball and shepherd heavy afternoon from him.

The Underdog
06-04-2023, 02:21 PM

Us playing McComb generally bums me out but he was pretty good in what he did last week. Here?s to a handball and shepherd heavy afternoon from him.

If it's gonna be wet, a big bodied mid who can run isn't the worst idea. As mentioned previously, I'd play him and make Garcia the sub.
If Duryea comes in, I can't see who aside from Crozier would go out. Not sure it's how I'd play it, but it seems logical. Crozier has been ok though. Gardner would be close, but thought all the key defenders were good last week, so maybe he has to wait.
So I guess

In: Duryea, (McComb in the 22 promoted from sub)
Out: Crozier, Garcia (sub)

bornadog
06-04-2023, 02:27 PM
If it's gonna be wet, a big bodied mid who can run wouldn't be the worst idea. As mentioned previously, I'd play him and make Garcia the sub.
If Duryea comes in, I can't see who aside from Crozier would go out. Not sure it's how I'd play it, but it seems logical. Crozier has been ok though. Gardner would be close, but thought all the key defenders were good last week, so maybe he has to wait.
So I guess

In: Duryea, (McComb in the 22 promoted from sub)
Out: Crozier, Garcia (sub)

Does JJ come out for Duryea - only because he is now depth rather than best 22? I am only guessing - personally I wouldn't do that.

The Underdog
06-04-2023, 02:46 PM
Does JJ come out for Duryea - only because he is now depth rather than best 22? I am only guessing - personally I wouldn't do that.

Feel like his pace is more important than what Croz brings with the make up of the 22, but I can see the argument

1eyedog
06-04-2023, 03:17 PM

Us playing McComb generally bums me out but he was pretty good in what he did last week. Here’s to a handball and shepherd heavy afternoon from him.

I think Garcia is the most likely out at this stage but I have no idea. They may sub Arty.

josie
06-04-2023, 03:30 PM
I think Garcia is the most likely out at this stage but I have no idea. They may sub Arty.

Gee I want Arfer to start. If anyone is dropped for McComb (in wet makes sense to have his big hardened body) even if it’s to sub it should be Garcia. Gardener needs more time in VFL. If MC think Duryea is ready then unfortunately I think Crozier makes way. JJ was pretty good vs Lions and should keep his spot.

azabob
06-04-2023, 04:07 PM
I believe Garcia should play this week; but not in front of Arthur Jones.

If McComb is a lock i'd lean towards him replacing Garcia.

I'm a Duryea fan and would play him ahead of Crozier.

I was surprised JJ played last week but he gave our back half something different so I'd play him again this week.

IN: McComb
OUT: Garcia

bornadog
06-04-2023, 07:25 PM
Teams

1 change Garcia out injured

EasternWest
06-04-2023, 07:26 PM
1 change Garcia out injured

Feelings hurt, read the meanies on woof

Mantis
06-04-2023, 07:29 PM
Feelings hurt, read the meanies on woof

I blame jee!

Report says it’s a groin issue… but we all know that’s a facade.

Mantis
06-04-2023, 07:33 PM
Richmond amongst others have omitted Riewoldt.

Given they only have 2 talls up forward and it’s predicted to be wet is there a chance we go without Bruce or Keath?

Not sure how effective Lobb and Marra will be in wet conditions either.

jeemak
06-04-2023, 07:42 PM
I wanted him to be dropped, but cutting his balls off is a bit much even for me......

Grantysghost
06-04-2023, 07:43 PM
I wanted him to be dropped, but cutting his balls off is a bit much even for me......

There's a thread coming.

EasternWest
06-04-2023, 07:48 PM
I blame jee!

Report says it’s a groin issue… but we all know that’s a facade.

Fairly sure there's a trade Garcia thread incoming.

jeemak
06-04-2023, 07:54 PM

That was going to come after the remove Garcia's balls thread......but my hand's been forced!

I kid, I kid. I do rate Garcia and want him in the team notwithstanding this week's omission.

Grantysghost
06-04-2023, 07:59 PM

Hold on.

I reckon there's a trade Sunny thread coming?

Dry Rot
06-04-2023, 08:10 PM
Does anyone really believe that Lobb is fit to play?

Grantysghost
06-04-2023, 08:11 PM

So when you read groin you went balls.

Freud would say something about that.

jeemak
06-04-2023, 08:16 PM
So when you read groin you went balls.

Freud would say something about that.

You're speaking for Feud now are you?

Grantysghost
06-04-2023, 08:28 PM
You're speaking for Feud now are you?

Jawohl

1eyedog
06-04-2023, 09:13 PM
I blame jee!

Report says it?s a groin issue? but we all know that?s a facade.

Not the only one gee

jeemak
06-04-2023, 09:32 PM
Not the only one gee

I know mate.

Mantis
06-04-2023, 09:32 PM
Not the only one gee

Feeling unloved?

jeemak
06-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Feeling unloved?

Worse, not sufficiently maligned.

1eyedog
07-04-2023, 08:26 AM
Feeling unloved?

Don't tease me that would be a bridge too far even I know that.

Decent ins I know but Reiwoldt out looks very good for us. Has found some form lately.

lemmon
07-04-2023, 08:41 AM
McNeil or Hannan most likely to be sub?

Will be an interesting game - the Richmond 22 looks full of outside run.

Curly5
07-04-2023, 11:21 AM
I blame jee!

Report says it?s a groin issue? but we all know that?s a facade.

Unless Bevo's boot was involved...

Sorry ;)

meenies
07-04-2023, 01:07 PM
Bevo put a straight jacket on Riley rather than a squirrel grip.

I think it's more about what's up with our training regime and groin injuries:
- Cody, Arty, Dom, now Riley
I know Mantis called this in the injury thread (15/3) that maybe Skinner has not been good for our mozzie fleet or is it the training loads are not suited for them.

1eyedog
07-04-2023, 03:43 PM
Bevo put a straight jacket on Riley rather than a squirrel grip.

I think it's more about what's up with our training regime and groin injuries:
- Cody, Arty, Dom, now Riley
I know Mantis called this in the injury thread (15/3) that maybe Skinner has not been good for our mozzie fleet or is it the training loads are not suited for them.

Wouldn't think so it's a first class surface as good as any surface in the competition. The track around the periphery of the playing surface is also all weather sponge so no issues there either.

The only way to really acquire a groin complaint in a training scenario is a slippery surface or load.

josie
08-04-2023, 02:37 PM
Hannan not playing vfl-presume he is the sub.

jeemak
08-04-2023, 03:47 PM
Hannan not playing vfl-presume he is the sub.

That should make everyone happy.

chef
08-04-2023, 03:50 PM
Hannan, why?

EasternWest
08-04-2023, 04:53 PM
That should make everyone happy.

Hannan, why?

Ha ha ha right on cue.

Send macaroons.

Grantysghost
08-04-2023, 05:26 PM
Hannan, why?

I've been a supporter. Not any more, he's got nothing to add.
Good trainer though.

Stevo
08-04-2023, 06:06 PM
I've been a supporter. Not any more, he's got nothing to add.
Good trainer though.

Harsh there GrantyGhost :)