PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 5 V Port Adelaide

Scraggers
16-03-2023, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Four match against Richmond for our Round Five match against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval on Saturday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
08-04-2023, 10:14 AM
Bump

westbulldog
08-04-2023, 08:32 PM
Out
Keath McComb Crozier (?) Hannan

In
McLean Duryea Cleary Darcy

G-Mo77
08-04-2023, 08:35 PM
Out
Keath McComb Crozier (?) Hannan

In
McLean Duryea Cleary Darcy

Not going to happen. McComb and Hannan are here to stay.

Keath, Crozier Out
McLean, Weightman in.

jeemak
08-04-2023, 08:39 PM
How did Gardner go today?

Testekill
08-04-2023, 08:56 PM
Out: Keath, Crozier, McComb
In: Gardner, Cleary/Duryea, Weightman

How did Gardner go today?

Gardner was fine. Not spectacular but not bad, not exactly ideal conditions for a tall defender.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-04-2023, 09:09 PM

In: Gardner, Duryea, Weightman

I love to see a rookie lister make it, and I'm prepared to persist if I can see growth. But outside of maybe fitness, I just don't see any attribute or group of attributes with McComb that either individually or when collectively packaged together override his deficiencies. Same with Hannan to be honest. Hannan gets a reprieve this week.

Stevo
08-04-2023, 09:13 PM

In: Gardner, Duryea, Weightman

I love to see a rookie lister make it, and I'm prepared to persist if I can see growth. But outside of maybe fitness, I just don't see any attribute or group of attributes with McComb that either individually or when collectively packaged together override his deficiencies. Same with Hannan to be honest. Hannan gets a reprieve this week.

Im the same but think Arthur needs a spell.

westbulldog
08-04-2023, 09:16 PM

Keath, Crozier Out
McLean, Weightman in.

Welcome to fantasy land :)

bornadog
08-04-2023, 09:27 PM
Out: Crozier, Keath, McComb

In: Gardner, Cleary, Weightman

McLean sub

The Underdog
08-04-2023, 09:27 PM

Keath, Crozier Out
McLean, Weightman in.

One came in for his first game and one was the sub. Not like they’re first picked.
Are we missing Roarke Smith right now?

jeemak
08-04-2023, 09:31 PM
One came in for his first game and one was the sub. Not like they’re first picked.
Are we missing Roarke Smith right now?

Depends which Roarke Smith you're talking about. At his best he's super valuable, at his worst he can go missing too often.

In - McLean, Weightman, Gardner and Duryea
Out - Jones, McComb, Keath and Crozier

Jones or McComb the sub.

josie
08-04-2023, 09:34 PM
Depends which Roarke Smith you're talking about. At his best he's super valuable, at his worst he can go missing too often.

Jones or McComb the sub.

Yup-I agree. Arty as sub. Cleary a smoky too-thought he played better than Duryea in VFL.

bornadog
08-04-2023, 09:37 PM
Yup-I agree. Arty as sub. Cleary a smoky too-thought he played better than Duryea in VFL.

Duryea looked abit rusty today

1eyedog
08-04-2023, 09:38 PM
McComb and Keath out
McLean and Gardner in

bornadog
08-04-2023, 09:40 PM
McComb and Keath out
McLean and Gardner in

Has Crozier got concussion? Would need 12 days out

Edit: just noticed it is a back injury.

macca
08-04-2023, 09:41 PM

Jones or McComb the sub.

The list has some conpetition for spots , a good problem to have

Out : crozier (injured ?), Keath (injury), i hope Lynch gets a few weeks for that dog act
IN : Gardner , Duryea
Sub : Hannan

Persist with Arty as he needs the game and having exposure to tough condition.
I would not be surprised if a few players were sore after tonight and may see 1 or 2 under the ommitted category .

I dont rate McComb as he made a few turn overs today , but the MC must have KPI they see he hits , so i woild keep him in. He does get to the right spots but i just dont see clean execution. But conditions were tough today.

derb
08-04-2023, 11:28 PM
In: O'Brien, Duryea, Weightman

Reckon Arty Jones gets another week with Weightman coming back. Will be the first time in a long time we will have two designated small forwards.

Couple of smalls on their last chance in my opinion. Ie: Caleb Daniel.

derb
08-04-2023, 11:28 PM
I didn't see the hit on Keath. Will Lynch cop weeks?

The bulldog tragician
08-04-2023, 11:31 PM

Reckon Arty Jones gets another week with Weightman coming back. Will be the first time in a long time we will have two designated small forwards.

I thought he was terrific.

jeemak
08-04-2023, 11:52 PM
I thought he was terrific.

Yeah I reckon Caleb was amazing in the last and pretty good in the first. He needs to build on it a bit to get back to his confident self with ball in hand but today was a good game for him.

Testekill
09-04-2023, 09:08 AM

It looked purely accidental to me.

Bigdog
09-04-2023, 09:44 AM
If I were in charge I’d do:

Out - Keathe, Cleary, McLean

In - TOB, Crozier, McComb

Sub - Hannan

TOB is performing better in the magoos than Gardiner at the moment. I think he could be okay this year as he might be better at playing a 3rd banana than Gardiner or Keathe as his intercepting is good and kicking is close to elite although he can make poor decisions.

MC a will probably give Duryea a go over Cleary, but I thought Duryea looked a bit slow in the 2s and got caught a few teams. Also think we need some youth to add some more spark to the side.

Mclean a no brainer as he had 45. Needs to have a run in the mid tho.

Hannan is unlucky to be named on the field - did his job yesterday.

Hotdog60
09-04-2023, 09:47 AM

I think he will get a week if the AFL is going to protect the head.
Lynch didn't contest the mark and decided to turn his body and bump Keath making it more a hip and should hit to the head causing a player to be subbed with concussion.
In the old days nothing these days he should miss.

GVGjr
09-04-2023, 09:50 AM

Sub - Hannan

TOB is performing better in the magoos than Gardiner at the moment. I think he could be okay this year as he might be better at playing a 3rd banana than Gardiner or Keathe as his intercepting is good and kicking is close to elite although he can make poor decisions.

MC a will probably give Duryea a go over Cleary, but I thought Duryea looked a bit slow in the 2s and got caught a few teams. Also think we need some youth to add some more spark to the side.

Of form it could very well be a line ball decision between TOB and Gardner. I think Bevo will go with Gards though
Agree that McLean needs to come in for McComb. Cleary for Crozier might be one to consider.

Stevo
09-04-2023, 09:57 AM

Sub - Hannan

I dont mind this analysis but Weightman has to be considered doesnt he? It might be wrong to drop King Arthur but Weightman offers so much more.

SquirrelGrip
09-04-2023, 10:02 AM
Out: Keath, Crozier (both inj), Scott (rest), McComb
In: Gardner, Cleary, McLean, Weightman
Sub: Hannan

Scott had work done on his knee last night and may benefit from a week off.

Mantis
09-04-2023, 10:04 AM
Of form it could very well be a line ball decision between TOB and Gardner. I think Bevo will go with Gards though
Agree that McLean needs to come in for McComb. Cleary for Crozier might be one to consider.

It’s an expected move, but Toby is just as ineffective as a full time forward as McComb so unless he’s going to get serious midfield minutes it’s just rinse & repeat.

Happy Days
09-04-2023, 11:20 AM
It’s an expected move, but Toby is just as ineffective as a full time forward as McComb so unless he’s going to get serious midfield minutes it’s just rinse & repeat.

Disagree. The move might not get the most out of Toby but he’s a much more reliable and polished player than McComb is. He won’t miss the simple targets, won’t lose mind blowing ground ball one on ones with 5m of space, and won’t induce a panic attack at the thought of him taking a set shot 15m out dead in front.

EasternWest
09-04-2023, 11:52 AM
won’t induce a panic attack at the thought of him taking a set shot 15m out dead in front.

We only have these reactions when it's Bont.

Happy Days
09-04-2023, 11:54 AM

Taking your careful quotation as a sign of agreement.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 11:55 AM

I was on the 50m mark where Bont took the shot and he did not look confident at all.

Grantysghost
09-04-2023, 11:55 AM

Naughton.

EasternWest
09-04-2023, 12:11 PM
Taking your careful quotation as a sign of agreement.

Unquestionably. I'm not as anti McComb as some, sides need foot soldiers, but I agree that he doesn't seem to be quite good enough. McLean is a far superior player in any facet.

I was on the 50m mark where Bont took the shot and he did not look confident at all.

He never does.

Naughton.

Nah not entirely true. He misses more than he should but I'm more confident than when Bont has it.

Bigdog
09-04-2023, 12:19 PM
Let’s give weightman some minutes in the 2s before we bring him straight in. Groins are tricky so I suspect he would have managed minutes.

Go_Dogs
09-04-2023, 12:22 PM
Out: Crozier, Keath

In: Duryea, Gardner

Hard to see too many changes being made. I’d probably move Hannan onto the park and McComb as sub.

1eyedog
09-04-2023, 01:46 PM

Daniel was absolutely sensational across half back last night his best game for the season. He saved a number of forward thrusts especially in the last quarter with the game on the line.

1eyedog
09-04-2023, 01:50 PM
It?s an expected move, but Toby is just as ineffective as a full time forward as McComb so unless he?s going to get serious midfield minutes it?s just rinse & repeat.

Yeah I dunno I'd roll the dice on Tobias running at more than 8 disposals @ 29% efficiency.

Mofra
09-04-2023, 02:24 PM

Hard to see too many changes being made. I?d probably move Hannan onto the park and McComb as sub.
Might be this, although Cleary might get the nod ahead of Duryea based on VFL reports.

I've got Hannan ahead of McComb, quicker and is more of a marking threat too

azabob
09-04-2023, 02:37 PM
Naughton.

Three straight yesterday.

soupman
09-04-2023, 03:29 PM
Mclean has been terrible in his two games this year, admittedly in bad team performances, I am in no rush to get him back into the side. He is moving like a kpp, and not the modern athletic type.

Pretty happy bringing Weightman in for McComb. Hopefully he and Jones is as fun as it sounds.

Gardner comes in for Keath. ToB might be in better form but we are trying to keep Bruce on the shitter forward and we can't do that with two players. Gardner is probably best 22 and not really the type that gets picked based on VFL performances.

I really like Cleary, and would bring him in for Crozier, but think Duryea will get the nod.

Hannan is dropped, but I didn't think he was completely terrible so would be content with him being sub again but it's not a decision I could be bothered arguing for.

Jasper
09-04-2023, 04:27 PM
Daniel was absolutely sensational across half back last night his best game for the season. He saved a number of forward thrusts especially in the last quarter with the game on the line.

His best game of the season.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-04-2023, 06:16 PM
Outs: McComb, Keath and Crozier
In: Gardner and Cleary

Sub Weightman. Manage minutes but it should be all good

1eyedog
09-04-2023, 08:27 PM
Mclean has been terrible in his two games this year, admittedly in bad team performances, I am in no rush to get him back into the side. He is moving like a kpp, and not the modern athletic type.

Pretty happy bringing Weightman in for McComb. Hopefully he and Jones is as fun as it sounds.

Gardner comes in for Keath. ToB might be in better form but we are trying to keep Bruce on the shitter forward and we can't do that with two players. Gardner is probably best 22 and not really the type that gets picked based on VFL performances.

I really like Cleary, and would bring him in for Crozier, but think Duryea will get the nod.

Hannan is dropped, but I didn't think he was completely terrible so would be content with him being sub again but it's not a decision I could be bothered arguing for.

Did you watch him this week? He was simply everywhere. If you can't get back in after touching it 40 times the system is broken.

Ignore the above there is no system McComb is playing.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 08:39 PM
Did you watch him this week? He was simply everywhere. If you can't get back in after touching it 40 times the system is broken.

you made me laugh with this. - so true

Scraggers
09-04-2023, 10:16 PM
I like the flexibility of Hannan as the sub. If a forward or backman goes down, he can play both ends. The only issue with him as sub, is the chance of a mid going down.

Mantis
10-04-2023, 07:29 AM

No I didn?t watch him this week, but I assumed from the comments that he played as a midfielder and gathered possessions at will.

He is a more than capable midfielder at AFL level, but in the 2 and a bit games he’s played as a forward in the AFL team this year he has had less than 10 kicks ( he had lots of handballs against the Saints, but is that what you want your HF doing?

Unless he can impact the scoreboard and apply more defensive pressure, which is difficult given physical limitations he plays only as a midfielder in the senior team for me and there isn?t a spot at present.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-04-2023, 08:07 AM
Let?s give weightman some minutes in the 2s before we bring him straight in. Groins are tricky so I suspect he would have managed minutes.

I go back and forth on this. If medically he's 100% and he's trained strongly then I am more than happy for the match committee to make a call to play him.

What we can't have though is two low disposal small forwards who are not impacting the game; we need one and preferably both of Weightman and Arty Jones getting involved against Port on the weekend.
I"m more inclined to play Weightman at Footscray if there is any thought by the match committee that his extended absence from the field may hinder his ability to perform against Port Adelaide.

soupman
10-04-2023, 11:39 AM

As Mantis has already said, if he did it as a midfielder then whats the point? He doesn't play that role at senior level.

McComb is pretty good at VFL level too, at least from a stats perspective, but thats never really used as an argument in his favour.

I liked McLean, and he did have a very good quarter in the Elim final last year, but aside from that he hasn't looked like the AFL player he was yet and I'm not going to try and find a spot for him in a winning side that is already going to have 3ish changes and when he has "knocked down the door" one week in a role he won't play for us.

1eyedog
10-04-2023, 12:26 PM
No I didn?t watch him this week, but I assumed from the comments that he played as a midfielder and gathered possessions at will.

He is a more than capable midfielder at AFL level, but in the 2 and a bit games he?s played as a forward in the AFL team this year he has had less than 10 kicks ( he had lots of handballs against the Saints, but is that what you want your HF doing?

Unless he can impact the scoreboard and apply more defensive pressure, which is difficult given physical limitations he plays only as a midfielder in the senior team for me and there isn?t a spot at present.

He has gone back simply to regain touch and find the footy which he has done. It's more about running him into some form and building confidence not just playing him forward and judging his output on how many score assists he accumulates.

Form is form and he was certainly out of form early this year and it showed. Looks like he has found some. That's what the 2s are for for experienced players. McComb's role is defensive anyway so not sure why McLean needs to kick goals or prove himself in that role. He knows what that role is and he has credits in the bank.

I'd certainly play him in the McComb high forward role this weekend. I actually think he'd be a perfect run-with defensive mid but we just don't value this role.

I respect your opinion but I just can't see how you can ignore an experienced, premiership player racking up 40+ in the magoos and be indifferent about his inclusion over a bloke who touched it 8 times @29%.

meenies
10-04-2023, 02:23 PM
For mine, in Cody (no VFL game for us this week), McLean (maybe he or Hannan as sub), Gardner, and Cleary or Duyea (can Cleary do the Crozier role?)
out McComb, Hannah (McLean & Hannah - coin toss for sub), Keath (from Lynch dog act), Crozier

O'Brien for Bruce if he needs to be managed. McLean for Scott is he needs to be managed.

jeemak
10-04-2023, 03:07 PM
I go back and forth on this. If medically he's 100% and he's trained strongly then I am more than happy for the match committee to make a call to play him.

What we can't have though is two low disposal small forwards who are not impacting the game; we need one and preferably both of Weightman and Arty Jones getting involved against Port on the weekend.
I"m more inclined to play Weightman at Footscray if there is any thought by the match committee that his extended absence from the field may hinder his ability to perform against Port Adelaide.

It's a really good point, having both Weightman and Arty failing to contribute would be sub-optimal. To say the least. The question I have is who of Arty and Weightman is likely to eclipse Arty's output from the past couple of weeks, away at Port Adelaide?

I'm leaning towards Weightman if it's one or the other, but happy to go with both if the MC think Arty is doing the right things, getting to the right spots, working hard enough and likely to get on the end of a few/ be more productive because of it.

Mitcha
10-04-2023, 03:13 PM
Pretty straightforward this week you would think with some like for like replacements.
Keath out for Gardner with the added bonus of Gardners ability to play high minutes meaning extra rotations for the mids.
Crozier out for Duryea with Doc's ability to set up the back six crucial.
McComb out for Weightman who if ready comes straight back in as no VFL game this weekend.
We have got the season back on track and need to put the best available side on the park in another very stern test in hostile territory.
As I said fairly straitforward from where I sit but what will Bevo do???

1eyedog
10-04-2023, 03:22 PM
As Mantis has already said, if he did it as a midfielder then whats the point? He doesn't play that role at senior level.

McComb is pretty good at VFL level too, at least from a stats perspective, but thats never really used as an argument in his favour.

I liked McLean, and he did have a very good quarter in the Elim final last year, but aside from that he hasn't looked like the AFL player he was yet and I'm not going to try and find a spot for him in a winning side that is already going to have 3ish changes and when he has "knocked down the door" one week in a role he won't play for us.

Do you think McComb plays as a defensive forward if he goes back to the VFL? I reckon he plays in the midfield.

GVGjr
10-04-2023, 04:15 PM
Pretty straightforward this week you would think with some like for like replacements.
Keath out for Gardner with the added bonus of Gardners ability to play high minutes meaning extra rotations for the mids.
Crozier out for Duryea with Doc's ability to set up the back six crucial.
McComb out for Weightman who if ready comes straight back in as no VFL game this weekend.
We have got the season back on track and need to put the best available side on the park in another very stern test in hostile territory.
As I said fairly straitforward from where I sit but what will Bevo do???

There is a strong chance he will only go in with changes he has to make although Weightman could be an important inclusion.

bornadog
10-04-2023, 04:22 PM
Do you think McComb plays as a defensive forward if he goes back to the VFL? I reckon he plays in the midfield.

Absolutely he does play mid at VFL level

ratsmac
10-04-2023, 05:08 PM
I think we need pressure forwards to keep the ball in our f50. Arty has been ok zipping around but he hasn't really been one to pressure the ball rebounding out of our f50. Weightman we know is good at this and I would like to see Toby get another go in the seniors especially after showing good form at Footscray. McLean can play a pressure forward role and also give us a different look in the middle. So in saying that Arty makes way for Weightman and McComb for Mclean.

Duryea is a like for like for Crozier if he misses with a sore back, although I'd like to see Cleary get a run.

The obvious replacement for Keath would be Gardner but for all reports he hasn't exactly slammed the door down either. So it could mean Darcy gets a call up again. Tim O'brien is another option too.

OUTS
Keath, Crozier, McComb, Arty Jones

INS
Weightman, McLean, Duryea/Cleary, Darcy

kruder
10-04-2023, 05:20 PM
Since there is no VFL, Wightman the sub for mine. He hasn't played a game of football all year, need to play the long game with him.

Keen to give Arty another crack, he had a nearly game on the weekend love to give him a month of football.

Cleary gives me Scrimshaw vibes, I think we need to move past Crozier also be happy to see TOB at AFL level again.

McComb shouldn't be on an AFL list.

Mantis
11-04-2023, 07:48 AM
He has gone back simply to regain touch and find the footy which he has done. It's more about running him into some form and building confidence not just playing him forward and judging his output on how many score assists he accumulates.

Form is form and he was certainly out of form early this year and it showed. Looks like he has found some. That's what the 2s are for for experienced players. McComb's role is defensive anyway so not sure why McLean needs to kick goals or prove himself in that role. He knows what that role is and he has credits in the bank.

I'd certainly play him in the McComb high forward role this weekend. I actually think he'd be a perfect run-with defensive mid but we just don't value this role.

I respect your opinion but I just can't see how you can ignore an experienced, premiership player racking up 40+ in the magoos and be indifferent about his inclusion over a bloke who touched it 8 times @29%.

Why should it matter if Toby is a premiership player or not? Not sure what that brings to the argument given he isn't the same player now as he was back then.

McComb was extremely poor on the weekend and he shouldn't stay in the team... but I don't feel the role that McComb played suits Toby's skill-set and for that reason I'd much prefer we bring in Weightman and Toby can continue to bang down the door until a midfield spot opens up.

Mantis
11-04-2023, 08:25 AM
In: Weightman, Cleary, O'Brien

Out: McComb, Crozier, Keath, Hannan

I'm going O'Brien over Gardner as a back 6 including Bruce, Jones and Gardner gives me nightmares with ball movement and hoping O'Brien can do the job on Finlayson. Also choosing Cleary over Duryea.

McLean can be the sub.

FrediKanoute
11-04-2023, 10:53 PM

Hard to see too many changes being made. I?d probably move Hannan onto the park and McComb as sub.

Why? Hannan was average. Actually Hannan was typical Hannan type game. I know he has the height, pace etc, but to be honest there is no product from that.

Throughandthrough
12-04-2023, 08:48 AM
It’s absolutely going to hose rain

angelopetraglia
12-04-2023, 09:18 AM
It’s absolutely going to hose rain

We will need to build an Ark. 5 to 25mm of rain. Winds 25 to 35 km/h. Based on what we saw against Richmond, does that suit us?

bornadog
12-04-2023, 09:34 AM
We will need to build an Ark. 5 to 25mm of rain. Winds 25 to 35 km/h. Based on what we saw against Richmond, does that suit us?

Based on contested possession numbers, the rain will suit us.

Sedat
12-04-2023, 09:46 AM
We are missing our "Adelaide Oval in the rain" specialist, Roarke Smith.

Mantis
12-04-2023, 10:07 AM

Port are 2-2 this year... when they've won the contested possession count, they've won the match... so yeah, it's going to be an important factor in determining who wins... especially if conditions are adverse.

Mofra
12-04-2023, 10:22 AM
Why? Hannan was average. Actually Hannan was typical Hannan type game. I know he has the height, pace etc, but to be honest there is no product from that.
Kicked one, should have been two.
He should be on the park ahead of McComb. M not as down on him as others but at 65% TOG we need more from a running/defense type

I like Hannan as the sub but if McComb stays in the side he has to be swapped

1eyedog
12-04-2023, 10:46 AM
I like Hannan he is a decent hybrid and always seems to impact the scoreboard.

Happy Days
12-04-2023, 10:52 AM
We are missing our "Adelaide Oval in the rain" specialist, Roarke Smith.

You mean Josh Schache?

Happy Days
12-04-2023, 10:54 AM
Hannan was putrid up until 3QT but actually played a pretty significant role in winning the game in the fourth quarter. Plus he played the game of his life pretty recently at Adelaide Oval against Port. Can’t believe I’m saying it but I’d be fine with him in.

josie
12-04-2023, 04:57 PM
Hannan was putrid up until 3QT but actually played a pretty significant role in winning the game in the fourth quarter. Plus he played the game of his life pretty recently at Adelaide Oval against Port. Can’t believe I’m saying it but I’d be fine with him in.

I can imaging Bevo showing him the footage of that game - was it the 2021 final we won you speak of? When the game was being played I though sheesh, Hannan has turned the corner and could really be a good player for us.

Grantysghost
12-04-2023, 05:04 PM
I can imaging Bevo showing him the footage of that game - was it the 2021 final we won you speak of? When the game was being played I though sheesh, Hannan has turned the corner and could really be a good player for us.

The prelim v port he was really good.

mjp
13-04-2023, 05:47 PM
The prelim v port he was really good.

Yep. Like the Church minister playing golf in a hurricane in CaddyShack though, are we really expecting a repeat of that? He turned into Ted Whitten that night.

DOG GOD
13-04-2023, 05:53 PM
If the rain keeps Dixon, Marshall etc marking the ball, then hail baby hail.

Grantysghost
13-04-2023, 05:54 PM
Yep. Like the Church minister playing golf in a hurricane in CaddyShack though, are we really expecting a repeat of that? He turned into Ted Whitten that night.

Ask G!

G-Mo77
13-04-2023, 07:22 PM
Tim O'Brien? Surely this is a piss take?

azabob
13-04-2023, 07:24 PM
ROUND 5 TEAM

Port Adelaide v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 15 April, 7.20pm ACST (7.50pm AEST)
Adelaide Oval

B: Jason Johannisen, Liam Jones, Tim O’Brien
HB: Bailey Dale, Josh Bruce, Ed Richards
C: Oskar Baker, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams
HF: Mitch Hannan, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman
F: Arthur Jones, Aaron Naughton, Rory Lobb
R: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Adam Treloar

Int: Taylor Duryea, Caleb Daniel, Jack Macrae, Anthony Scott

Emerg: Lachie McNeil, Toby McLean, Jordon Sweet, Buku Khamis

IN: Cody Weightman, Taylor Duryea, Tim O’Brien
OUT: Hayden Crozier (back), Robbie McComb (omitted), Alex Keath (concussion), Bailey Smith (calf)

azabob
13-04-2023, 07:24 PM
Interesting Smith is out injured and no real midfield replacement?

bornadog
13-04-2023, 07:27 PM
Why?

Mantis
13-04-2023, 07:27 PM

He hasn’t been spending much time in the midfield has he? Playing more across HF and rolling up.

G-Mo77
13-04-2023, 07:28 PM

McLean hopefully a late in.

azabob
He hasn’t been spending much time in the midfield has he? Playing more across HF and rolling up.

True. Not sure we can rely on Weightman or Jones to play that role. I guess it will be Hannan?

G-Mo77
Why?

Because he's garbage.

hujsh
13-04-2023, 07:39 PM
True. Not sure we can rely on Weightman or Jones to play that role. I guess it will be Hannan?

My guess would be Caleb and possibly Weightman though less likely given he's been out.

hujsh
13-04-2023, 07:42 PM
Because he's garbage.

Fair few in this thread had him as an in given his VFL form. I assume that doesn't change your judgement of his capabilities though

GVGjr
13-04-2023, 07:42 PM

I would have gone with Gards but TOB has done well at training and with the wet weather it might work out to be a decent selection.

Grantysghost
13-04-2023, 07:45 PM
I love TOB so excited for him. One of the great people at the club.

Fingers crossed he kills it!

bornadog
13-04-2023, 07:46 PM
Caleb to midfield, Duryea takes his spot. TOB takes Crozier’s spot

G-Mo77
13-04-2023, 07:46 PM
I would have gone with Gards but TOB has done well at training and with the wet weather it might work out to be a decent selection.

What does he offer in wet weather that Gardner doesn't? If it's a like for like selection Gards gets the call wet or dry. I'd sooner stretch a Buku or Cleary with this spot if Gards is still not ready.

HOSE B ROMERO
13-04-2023, 07:51 PM

Watching the vfl last week, i thought Gards was just finding his feet. Pity there's no reserves this week. I'm sure he'll be in pretty soon.

macca
13-04-2023, 07:54 PM
it be interesting to see whch of the Mc is picked McNeil or McLean.

I hope it does not stamp Toby McLean paper if he does not get selected this week

azabob
13-04-2023, 07:57 PM
My guess would be Caleb and possibly Weightman though less likely given he's been out.

Caleb to midfield, Duryea takes his spot. TOB takes Crozier’s spot

Generally I thought Daniel has been somewhat lost in the first few rounds and really found his groove when he was moved back to defence last week. I’d be hesitant to shift him to the midfield so soon.

GVGjr
13-04-2023, 07:58 PM
it be interesting to see whch of the Mc is picked McNeil or McLean.

I hope it does not stamp Toby McLean paper if he does not get selected this week

McLean just hasn't been as productive up forward as we would like. I don't think his papers have been stamped.

1eyedog
13-04-2023, 08:04 PM
Select him as part of the midfield rotation then. Only place for him atm we're stacked for small / mediums in the forward line now with Arfer, Hannan and now Flea coming in.

Suspect Bevo will sub him and pull a tall at some stage.

bornadog
13-04-2023, 08:15 PM
Select him as part of the midfield rotation then. Only place for him atm we're stacked for small / mediums in the forward line now with Arfer, Hannan and now Flea coming in.

Suspect Bevo will sub him and pull a tall at some stage.

If it is raining then it might happen.

Grantysghost
13-04-2023, 08:37 PM
Because he's garbage.

Well that's an opinion I don't agree with.

Let me tell you at a sponsors function he shepherded around a young boy who had a jumper to be signed. ALL NIGHT. Everytime I looked up he was taking him to another player to get his shirt signed.

I've had the pleasure of talking to him, you can NOT get a better person in my opinion. He's just a brilliant guy and so engaging with the fans.

Get behind him and hope he kills it! He has all the attributes. I just hope he gets a decent run at it (3 -4 weeks).

bornadog
13-04-2023, 08:42 PM

Let me tell you at a sponsors function he shepherded around a young boy who had a jumper to be signed. ALL NIGHT. Everytime I looked up he was taking him to another player to get his shirt signed.

I've had the pleasure of talking to him, you can NOT get a better person in my opinion. He's just a brilliant guy and so engaging with the fans.

Get behind him and hope he kills it! He has all the attributes. I just hope he gets a decent run at it (3 -4 weeks).

Last two weeks he has been very good at VFL level and the ideal guy to play as an interceptor. We tried to use him as a KPD last year and it really didn't work

Grantysghost
13-04-2023, 08:46 PM
Last two weeks he has been very good at VFL level and the ideal guy to play as an interceptor. We tried to use him as a KPD last year and it really didn't work

He's got an amazing leap, and distributes really well. My only query is his ability to position and read the play. If we think of the gold standard, which is unfortunately one of the great knobheads of footy Lever...he just reads it before it's even kicked. He's a superstar and it's little wonder Melbourne with 2 of the best mids and 2 of the best defenders are so amazingly good.

I really hope we give him a good run at it.

TOB, Bruce and Jones might just work.

They've got Dixon, Marshall and Finlayson.

I dare say Bruce goes to Dixon, Jones to Marshall and TOB to Finlayson. It's going to be a critical area of the ground.

angelopetraglia
13-04-2023, 10:11 PM
Any insight or more information how bad Bailey’s calf injury is?

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2023, 10:13 PM
TOB isn't as bad as some ride him out to be.

In the wet, I might prefer Gardy as I'm not sure it suits TOB's game but I think he's perhaps a better fit if we're playing Bruce too. Gardy is fine athletically but TOB is better and, perhaps more importantly with this set up, is a better distributor.

Aren't we last for scores from D50? That could be a consideration that playing 3 KPDs has restricted us in this area. TOB theoretically would therefore be more 'positive' in this facet of the game.

bornadog
13-04-2023, 10:39 PM
TOB isn't as bad as some ride him out to be.

In the wet, I might prefer Gardy as I'm not sure it suits TOB's game but I think he's perhaps a better fit if we're playing Bruce too. Gardy is fine athletically but TOB is better and, perhaps more importantly with this set up, is a better distributor.

Aren't we last for scores from D50? That could be a consideration that playing 3 KPDs has restricted us in this area. TOB theoretically would therefore be more 'positive' in this facet of the game.

Did ok last week in the wet at the VFL.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-04-2023, 11:35 PM
Weightman and Arty mixing it with our tall forwards is an exciting anticipation, fast entries especially.

HOSE B ROMERO
13-04-2023, 11:41 PM
Maybe i'm a bit of a bleeding heart but i always hope the borderline players ie TOB, Roarke, Hannan, Gardy etc do well. It can only benefit the team if they do.

bornadog
13-04-2023, 11:48 PM
Any insight or more information how bad Bailey’s calf injury is?

Calf injuries are not good. Hopefully not too bad, as they can take weeks.

Doc26
13-04-2023, 11:50 PM
Calf injuries are not good. Hopefully not too bad, as they can take weeks.

Read a tweet earlier from Stevo saying that Smith’s calf is more tightness and not a tear, and that he may still miss the Freo game.

G-Mo77
14-04-2023, 04:55 AM

Not saying he's a bad person GG I was saying he's a bad AFL footballer. I'll certainly be cheering for him this week, like the other players who I think are nowhere good enough at AFL level, I'll support them. Doesn't mean I'll agree with their selections from week to week. FWIW I thought the default selection of Hamling late in the 2016 season was terrible and look how that turned out. We all get some wrong and some right, it's not personal, it's a forum.

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 08:52 AM
Not saying he's a bad person GG I was saying he's a bad AFL footballer. I'll certainly be cheering for him this week, like the other players who I think are nowhere good enough at AFL level, I'll support them. Doesn't mean I'll agree with their selections from week to week. FWIW I thought the default selection of Hamling late in the 2016 season was terrible and look how that turned out. We all get some wrong and some right, it's not personal, it's a forum.

Fair enough!

mjp
14-04-2023, 09:21 AM

I think it was pretty predictable. PA have 3x tall forwards, Keath is out, Gardner still seems to be finding his way post injury...

I'm not his biggest fan but thought he would play given the injury situation and our opponent. The only alternative was Gardner and whilst he is a reasonable player he should still be brought in when IN form, not when finding his way...

Happy Days
14-04-2023, 10:01 AM
I don’t love TOB either and think his poor decision making completely mitigates his skill level, but he’s not so terrible that he can’t ever be picked when showing form in the VFL.

McComb’s been dropped and can’t be the sub, we’ve nailed selection as far as I’m concerned.

Danjul
14-04-2023, 11:16 AM
McLean just hasn't been as productive up forward as we would like. I don't think his papers have been stamped.McLean was Ok in his last game but was dropped because we needed to generate some excitement after 2 horrendous losses. His replacement has not been as good, even though he has shown some talent. If McLean has a good day the team benefits. Would heavy conditions suit him? I suspect so.

Scorlibo
14-04-2023, 11:17 AM
I'm surprised that Weightman's coming straight back into the side. It probably says a lot about how his leadership and energy is rated internally, but I'm not expecting much on the field given he's missed so much time.

Would also prefer for Cleary to be getting a look in over Duryea, but can also see the merit in Duryea's inclusion from a leadership perspective.

Overall good changes in the circumstances and hopefully Tobes can have a big impact as the sub.

hujsh
14-04-2023, 11:21 AM
I'm surprised that Weightman's coming straight back into the side. It probably says a lot about how his leadership and energy is rated internally, but I'm not expecting much on the field given he's missed so much time.

Would also prefer for Cleary to be getting a look in over Duryea, but can also see the merit in Duryea's inclusion from a leadership perspective.

Overall good changes in the circumstances and hopefully Tobes can have a big impact as the sub.

Maybe in dry conditions Cleary would be more of a chance. Might be the more solid, senior body is preferred in these conditions.

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 11:47 AM
McLean was Ok in his last game but was dropped because we needed to generate some excitement after 2 horrendous losses. His replacement has not been as good, even though he has shown some talent. If McLean has a good day the team benefits. Would heavy conditions suit him? I suspect so.

I'm surprised Jones has kept his spot however I like it.
Can't wait for the first goal!

Ozza
14-04-2023, 12:02 PM
Yeah......I don't like the O'Brien selection. Hope he proves me wrong. I also hope Caleb is running past him for the handball any time Tim does get an intercept possession.

soupman
14-04-2023, 12:11 PM
Geez I don't particularly rate O'Brien but I don't think he is much more a liability by foot than Bruce or Keath, and considering Daniel has turned it over horrifically at least 4 times this year I'm not even sure TOB will do worse than that (accepting of course very different roles).

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 12:20 PM
I think TOB kicks it ok?

Maybe I'm not looking closely enough.

I'll watch his kicking on the weekend.

Happy Days
14-04-2023, 12:27 PM
I think TOB kicks it ok?

Maybe I'm not looking closely enough.

I'll watch his kicking on the weekend.

His skills are fine he just gets really lazy with “easy” kicks (switches, chips backwards etc) and creates super high pressure situations out of nothing. It’s so frustrating to watch and I think why a lot of us aren’t fans.

angelopetraglia
14-04-2023, 12:27 PM
What has happened to Toby McLean? He really has not been the same player since the knee injuries. When he first came into the side, he was dynamic, always impacted the contest and had an unbelievable set of hands for a mid sized player. He also had that old school never say die attitude.

While not all of those features of his game have diminished, many have. He has some newer assets, but he is a completely different player than what he used to be. Maybe I'm over romancing his impact as a young player.

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 12:41 PM
His skills are fine he just gets really lazy with “easy” kicks (switches, chips backwards etc) and creates super high pressure situations out of nothing. It’s so frustrating to watch and I think why a lot of us aren’t fans.

Thanks HD.

I certainly didn't want to come across as the lord protector of all players, I just prefer some reasoning behind something rather than a blanket he sucks.

You've just explained an issue with his game that I haven't really seen however I'll look for it.

Axe Man
14-04-2023, 01:37 PM
What has happened to TOB? He really has not been the same player since the knee injuries. When he first came into the side, he was dynamic, always impacted the contest and had an unbelievable set of hands for a mid sized player. He also had that old school never say die attitude.

While not all of those features of his game have diminished, many have. He has some newer assets, but he is a completely different player than what he used to be. Maybe I'm over romancing his impact as a young player.

Are you talking about Tim O'Brien or Toby McLean?

angelopetraglia
14-04-2023, 01:44 PM
Are you talking about Tim O'Brien or Toby McLean?

Apologies. That was highly unclear. Toby McLean. I have update my post to clear this up.

Axe Man
14-04-2023, 02:10 PM
Apologies. That was highly unclear. Toby McLean. I have update my post to clear this up.

Glad it wasn't just me! I was trying to figure out how your post related to O'Brien before finally realising you must have been talking about McLean.

The way he came back in the final last season gave some hope that he could still be something like the player he was. Unfortunately in the first 2 games this year he didn't resemble that player (admittedly in games where most of the side looked ordinary).

Sounds like he was excellent in the VFL last week so hopefully he can get back towards the level where we know he is capable of whilst realising he will probably never be quite as dynamic as what he once was.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-04-2023, 03:00 PM
So there's another match on Adelaide oval immediately preceding ours. What are the AFEL thinking? The ground is going to be absolutely shot to pieces, especially given the rain.

Probably lucky it is going to rain as it'll lessen the impact of a shite oval.

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 03:54 PM
So there's another match on Adelaide oval immediately preceding ours. What are the AFEL thinking? The ground is going to be absolutely shot to pieces, especially given the rain.

Probably lucky it is going to rain as it'll lessen the impact of a shite oval.

I've had a few Adelaide friends saying the ground is going to be stuffed.

bornadog
14-04-2023, 04:11 PM

So, last night, tonight, then another match before ours. Forecast to rain all day tomorow

The Underdog
15-04-2023, 08:13 AM

Plus 2 more on Sunday. Collingwood and St Kilda on late Sunday might look like the Western Oval circa 1984.

D Mitchell
15-04-2023, 01:22 PM
...might look like the Western Oval circa 1984.

Ah, the good old days.

SquirrelGrip
15-04-2023, 08:21 PM
Final teams in.

NO LATE CHANGES

SUBSTITUTES
Port Adelaide: Jackson Mead
Western Bulldogs: Toby McLean

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-04-2023, 08:39 PM
Toby as the sub, in this weather might be important. I think these kind of conditions suit him.