PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 6 V Fremantle

Scraggers
16-03-2023, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Five match against Port Adelaide for our Round Six match against Fremantle at Marvel on Optus Oval on Friday night?

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
15-04-2023, 09:33 AM
Bump.

josie
15-04-2023, 11:39 PM
Out: Hannan, Bruce if injured
In: Khamis, Gardener

1eyedog
15-04-2023, 11:51 PM
Out: A Jones and probably Bruce
In: West as a small forward and Gardner.

Jones is not getting near it at the moment and is running in circles. Need West in for another crack. Could be swings and roundabouts but that's what you get with your 22-25 players.

I reckon Bruce will miss with bruised ribs and Gardner seems like the likely replacement.

westbulldog
15-04-2023, 11:52 PM
Out Bruce McLean Hannan
In Gardner Khamis Cleary

azabob
15-04-2023, 11:54 PM
Out Bruce McLean Hannan
In Gardner Khamis Cleary

I think you need another player out or one less in.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 11:54 PM
Arty needs a rest. The wet conditions have not suited him, but he has been a liability in the last two weeks.

Go_Dogs
16-04-2023, 12:00 AM
I don’t think we’ve got any winning moves at the selection table.

Gardner for Bruce if he’s injured.

West for Arty maybe? We don’t have many options but West is probably the better option at this time.

I’d love to play Buku forward but not for Marra and we need Lobb to chop ruck, so it doesn’t quite happen this week.

Scraggers
16-04-2023, 12:01 AM
Arty needs a rest. The wet conditions have not suited him, but he has been a liability in the last two weeks.

Whilst I agree with you, do you play him in WA in front of his family and friends. Might be the boost he needs.

westbulldog
16-04-2023, 12:04 AM
I think you need another player out or one less in.

Another out would be A Jones

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 12:10 AM
Whilst I agree with you, do you play him in WA in front of his family and friends. Might be the boost he needs.

It is a good point and a dry day on a firmer ground in Perth would suit him.

hujsh
16-04-2023, 12:49 AM
Probably doesn't matter. McNeil I guess. For Hannan.

Gardner for Bruce.

Busslinger for O'Brien. May as well right?

A.Jones for... Cleary? I dunno figure something out guys.

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 12:50 AM
Probably doesn't matter. McNeil I guess. For Hannan.

Gardner for Bruce.

Busslinger for O'Brien. May as well right?

A.Jones for... Cleary? I dunno figure something out guys.

Buss is a long way off being ready to play senior football.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 12:52 AM
Out: Bruce, Hannan, Jones
In: Gardner, Buku and West

derb
16-04-2023, 01:21 AM
No idea.

Jones, Scott and Hannan all on shaky ground.

Scorlibo
16-04-2023, 01:40 AM
As much as I think a whole host of players should be on the chopping block, you've got to start with who is ready to step up at the lower level and the cupboard is bare.

McNeil and West are nowhere near it in the VFL. Khamis has had some down weeks. Raak was good in the most recent game but needs to back it up. Darcy is too good for VFL but needs to show some consistency within games. Busslinger is starting to show some promise but isn't ready. Ditto Charlie Clarke. We don't need Sweet unless English goes down.

What we're left with is Gardner who is lacking VFL form but is a somewhat proven quantity at AFL level, and Cleary who has been ultra consistent without being outstanding.

In - Gardner, Cleary
Out - Bruce, Hannan

lemmon
16-04-2023, 08:42 AM
Out - Bruce, Arty, Hannan
In - Gardner, Khamis, Garcia if fit otherwise McNeil

Really tempted to drop Lobb, but he seems like the type to kick a bag against his old side and a hostile crowd. I didn't think he was right for us, but he's here now so think we need to persist

G-Mo77
16-04-2023, 08:51 AM
We're not coming back to Vic so I doubt we'll have many changes at all unless everyone went over? I'm sure we took a squad so possibly only changes in the 25 selected last week.

azabob
16-04-2023, 09:38 AM
For posters suggesting Khamis is an IN, I’m really interested to see what position you think he should play.

I think he’s really limited in what he can offer. I see him as a third forward / ruck only.

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 09:59 AM
For posters suggesting Khamis is an IN, I’m really interested to see what position you think he should play.

I think he’s really limited in what he can offer. I see him as a third forward / ruck only.

I don't think he is that limited but I suspect why people might see him in the mix is that they want the 190cm Hannan out and a 190cm Khamis is a logical replacement. I agree that he is more of a 3rd tall forward or even defender but the well is pretty dry with options to come in.

bulldogtragic
16-04-2023, 10:05 AM
I don't think he is that limited but I suspect why people might see him in the mix is that they want the 190cm Hannan out and a 190cm Khamis is a logical replacement. I agree that he is more of a 3rd tall forward or even defender but the well is pretty dry with options to come in.

That’s why I love preseason. The list looked great. Reports were good, yours excellent. Our injury list is even pretty good too. But five weeks in and the well is dry.

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 11:17 AM
That’s why I love preseason. The list looked great. Reports were good, yours excellent. Our injury list is even pretty good too. But five weeks in and the well is dry.

We've got an imbalanced list with too many limited players.

Lets have a a look at some of the players being mentioned to be dropped.
Arty Jones - Well I suggested that he should have been omitted last week and Weightman's return was the prime replacement opportunity. Other candidates were Charlie Clarke who's had too many disruptions in his preseason to be considered. McNeil seems to be just short of the standards and Vandermeer who would be seriously considered but is injured along with Gallagher.
To replace Arty we will need to get a bit creative.

Hannan - Given the conditions and having 3 talls already in the forward line I think he got his spot because Baz was injured.
Logical replacements in the mix would be the likes of McNeil, McLean who hasn't measured up as a forward this year, West who doesn't really grasp his chances and Garcia who is injured.

Bruce - If injured it's going to be Gards or perhaps Darcy is a chance.

We've gone into the season with a very experienced list but we simply have too many marginal players.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 11:24 AM

That was my reasoning for suggesting Buku, but, I would rather get some smaller guys in. Garcia is injured, West I don't have confidence in, but should come in and the two VFL matches I have been to, McNeil has been poor. Clarke is way off at this stage, Arty is struggling with the pace of the game - he just doesn't know where to position himself.

I also didn't like Duryea coming in as he was poor in the VFL last week. Does Crozier come back and play forward?

1eyedog
16-04-2023, 11:32 AM
I think a coach once said Premierships are won by your bottom six. Obviously this is a metaphor for ensuring you have good balance across the list and I think this was true for 2016. Roberts, Smith, Biggs and a bunch of kids played their roles effectively.

While I feel many of our problems are in the midfield our bottom end players are not making the contribution we need from them. Hannan, McComb Scott (has been ok at times), Arty, Bruce, McLean, Williams and JJ who was very ordinary last night, are not giving us what we need and it's hurting.

I think we need to get off this line of thinking re. selections and choose three young players we think have huge upside and just leave them in. My choices would be West and Khamis / Clearly over Hannan and McComb for a start.

I'm not a 'just play the kids advocate' usually but I am convinced that Hannan and McComb and even Scott is not working now and is not the way forward long term.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 11:35 AM
I think a coach once said Premierships are won by your bottom six. Obviously this is a metaphor for ensuring you have good balance across the list and I think this was true for 2016. Roberts, Smith, Biggs and a bunch of kids played their roles effectively.

While I feel many of our problems are in the midfield our bottom end players are not making the contribution we need from them. Hannan, McComb Scott (has been ok at times), Arty, Bruce, McLean, Williams and JJ who was very ordinary last night, are not giving us what we need and it's hurting.

I think we need to get off this line of thinking re. selections and choose three young players we think have huge upside and just leave them in. My choices would be West and Khamis / Clearly over Hannan and McComb for a start.

JJ had the second most disposals for the game and took 6 marks as well. I don't think he was that bad.

1eyedog
16-04-2023, 11:42 AM
JJ had the second most disposals for the game and took 6 marks as well. I don't think he was that bad.

Thanks BAD I barely noticed him and didn't look up his stats.

What I didn't like about JJ was he skirted a number of contests. I know he is not a hard inside player but his speed got him to a few contests and as soon as he got there he folded off and let someone else do the lifting.

For a senior player it was disappointing to see after watching a heap of 20 year old Essendon kids nearly killing themselves to win the contest.

Bulldog4life
16-04-2023, 11:48 AM

Yep he has had a taste of it now is time to go back to the VFL to get his confidence back.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 11:52 AM
Thanks BAD I barely noticed him and didn't look up his stats.

What I didn't like about JJ was he skirted a number of contests. I know he is not a hard inside player but his speed got him to a few contests and as soon as he got there he folded off and let someone else do the lifting.

For a senior player it was disappointing to see after watching a heap of 20 year old Essendon kids nearly killing themselves to win the contest.

This is true, he doesn't like the body contact.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 12:21 PM
Arthur Jones. Three games of AFL football. His averages.

4.0 kicks. 2.3 Handballs. 6.3 Disposals. 1 Mark. Zero goals. 0.3 behind. 2.3 tackles. Zero clearances.

Love his energy and enthusiasm. But he is basically contributing zero.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 01:51 PM
Bruce is flying home. Significant injury to his ribs. He is 100% out.

hujsh
16-04-2023, 02:30 PM
Buss is a long way off being ready to play senior football.

Yeah but... may as well right? Let him intercept or whatever. Give him a taste for a bit. Like 2 weeks. We're getting to the point where it's worth considering the future. O'Brien, nice as he might be, is a 29 year old fringe player. Neither the present nor the future. Also a good opportunity to let Buss return home for the week.

In fact if we drop Arty let him be the sub or at least traveling emergency. For the same reason.

hujsh
16-04-2023, 02:33 PM

4.0 kicks. 2.3 Handballs. 6.3 Disposals. 1 Mark. Zero goals. 0.3 behind. 2.3 tackles. Zero clearances.

Yeah, not a knock on his future but he's had his taste and knows the standards he needs to reach. Time to give him the opportunity to work on his game at a lower level.

The Underdog
16-04-2023, 03:36 PM
Yeah but... may as well right? Let him intercept or whatever. Give him a taste for a bit. Like 2 weeks. We're getting to the point where it's worth considering the future. O'Brien, nice as he might be, is a 29 year old fringe player. Neither the present nor the future. Also a good opportunity to let Buss return home for the week.

In fact if we drop Arty let him be the sub or at least traveling emergency. For the same reason.

Buss is an 18 yo with a limited pre-season who likely isn’t physically ready to play a role at AFL level. Gardner and Keath should hopefully both be available for next week and should be considered well before Busslinger. I get that we don’t want to play “fringe” types, but kids have been ruined by playing them before they’re ready.

EasternWest
16-04-2023, 03:54 PM
Buss is an 18 yo with a limited pre-season who likely isn’t physically ready to play a role at AFL level. Gardner and Keath should hopefully both be available for next week and should be considered well before Busslinger. I get that we don’t want to play “fringe” types, but kids have been ruined by playing them before they’re ready.

Hey neither was Lewis Young but we threw him in anyway and that worked out alright, right?

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 04:00 PM
Hey neither was Lewis Young but we threw him in anyway and that worked out alright, right?

Lewis Young had a mare on Thursday night. Horrific.

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 04:24 PM
Bruce is flying home. Significant injury to his ribs. He is 100% out.

Shame for him and the club, he's put in a lot of work and seemed to be settling in well in a new role.

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 04:26 PM

No good putting him in if he isn't quite fit enough and hasn't earned it.
I've seen plenty of progress in him in the last 6 weeks after what was a very slow start and he will learn enough at Footscray to help prepare him.

The Underdog
16-04-2023, 04:48 PM

And Lewis debuted in round 17, and he was great and by round 21 he was pretty much emotionally destroyed by Jon Patton et al.

EasternWest
16-04-2023, 05:05 PM
Lewis Young had a mare on Thursday night. Horrific.

And Lewis debuted in round 17, and he was great and by round 21 he was pretty much emotionally destroyed by Jon Patton et al.

I'm sorry I thought you learned gentlemen would know that's exactly the point I was making.

Rocco Jones
16-04-2023, 05:19 PM
A couple of broader things:

- as frustrating and unacceptable as our last quarter was last night, I think our last three games have been mostly 'good'. We have well and truly tested any patience and faith with the pathetic performances from the first two rounds but I am not as down as most dogs seem to be atm. I think the game against Freo is huge.
- I am not into playing youth for the sake of doing so with develop. Buss was mentioned. I think especially with a young KPD there is nowhere to really hide. Can be harmful to development. Like what I've seen from Buss but he looks like he needs some more time in the VFL.

Its:
- TOB I see as a 3rd tall type, really exposed when he needs to go 'big'. I am okay-ish with him in that role, should be just a back up, but we had Keath out and Gardy getting back into it. Now Bruce is out. Assuming a long flight not the greatest way to recover from concussion with Keath. Gardner for Bruce makes sense.
- As with most here, love Arty's energy but simply not doing enough. Would have him as a sub though as we really struggle with sub anyway (ie playing a guy who kills it with CBAs in VFL then playing them as a small forward. Rinse and repeat)
- With no Baz, I'd give Tobias a bit of a crack with the CBAs. If that isn't going to happen and he is only pegged in for fwd time, please don't play him. Would love a bit of a run with on Brayshaw but that's no chance. I honestly think a midfielder could have 50 disposals and 4 goals at 3/4QT, us be in it and we would still not see a close checking job on them.
- Hannan: I don't get it.

In:
- Tobias in 22
- Gardner
- McNeil (don't love it but at least he isn't just another VFL mid racking it in and coming in to play fwd)

Out:
- Arty (goes to sub)
- Juice
- Hannan

hujsh
16-04-2023, 05:34 PM
No good putting him in if he isn't quite fit enough and hasn't earned it.
I've seen plenty of progress in him in the last 6 weeks after what was a very slow start and he will learn enough at Footscray to help prepare him.

TBH I think he looks pretty good right now. If we can give him the Sam Darcy 'have a game or two as an interceptor' experience in in the ones at some point this year without making him responsible for directly defending a key tall it could work out for a week or two. Maybe not this week (I wasn't really that serious initially but am starting to convince myself it's not quite as crazy as it seems) but this year perhaps.

Mofra
16-04-2023, 05:48 PM

He's there for his pressure. Stats there?
I'd expect if VDM was available to play that pressure role Arty would get a rest

GVGjr
16-04-2023, 05:53 PM
TBH I think he looks pretty good right now. If we can give him the Sam Darcy 'have a game or two as an interceptor' experience in in the ones at some point this year without making him responsible for directly defending a key tall it could work out for a week or two. Maybe not this week (I wasn't really that serious initially but am starting to convince myself it's not quite as crazy as it seems) but this year perhaps.

I can see him playing a couple of games later in the year after initially not seeing that as a chance. His running has improved plus he's added some size as well. I don't see the sense in rushing him and if he earns it then lets play him.

Danjul
16-04-2023, 07:29 PM
We've got an imbalanced list with too many limited players.

Lets have a a look at some of the players being mentioned to be dropped.
Arty Jones - Well I suggested that he should have been omitted last week and Weightman's return was the prime replacement opportunity. Other candidates were Charlie Clarke who's had too many disruptions in his preseason to be considered. McNeil seems to be just short of the standards and Vandermeer who would be seriously considered but is injured along with Gallagher.
To replace Arty we will need to get a bit creative.

Hannan - Given the conditions and having 3 talls already in the forward line I think he got his spot because Baz was injured.
Logical replacements in the mix would be the likes of McNeil, McLean who hasn't measured up as a forward this year, West who doesn't really grasp his chances and Garcia who is injured.

Bruce - If injured it's going to be Gards or perhaps Darcy is a chance.

We've gone into the season with a very experienced list but we simply have too many marginal players.We failed to build up a good lead early during night?s game because the forward line was not functioning (apart from Weightman the rest could have stayed home).

We failed to hold our slender lead in Q4 because English and Bont had a well earned rest. The momentum turned significantly, as it had done previously in the game.

I would suggest that A Jones is replaced by Smith, Lobb replaces Hannan as a specialist forward, and Sweet replaces Lobb as the second ruck.

put Lobb in the goal square, Naughton on the Arc feeding the ball in, JUH leading and I don?t care what Sweet does. His prime focus is to keep the forwards out of the ruck and prevent the massive momentum reversal when English has a break.

The brains trusts have tried everything else, and it?s all been a massive failure. We must start consistently winning like we did in 2021 when we finally brought in Martin and ran 2 genuine ruckmen. That?s what Essendon did, they wore down Grundy and won.

Danjul
16-04-2023, 07:34 PM
Shame for him and the club, he's put in a lot of work and seemed to be settling in well in a new role.
Sorry to hear that. I liked what he was doing.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:18 PM

Buss has come off a shoulder reco and has played two games in the VFL. No way he can play AFL.

EasternWest
16-04-2023, 10:22 PM
Buss has come off a shoulder reco and has played two games in the VFL. No way he can play AFL.

Sometimes it's like you don't even know me.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:24 PM
Sometimes it's like you don't even know me.

:D:D Who are you again. :D

PS: Sorry, sometimes I am too serious in reading WOOF

The Underdog
16-04-2023, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry I thought you learned gentlemen would know that's exactly the point I was making.

Sorry, I did get your point, I was more trying to add to the argument.

MrMahatma
16-04-2023, 11:03 PM
I’d prob go unchanged apart from Keath/Gardi for Bruce.

If we had better options I’d drop Hannan but not sure we do. Maybe West but I’m not really across who’s in VFL form.

FrediKanoute
17-04-2023, 10:05 PM

JJ was good. Used he ball well and gave some run. He is not the problem - the back 6 is better with him there.

Jones - he is not quite ready. Goes in and out - there is talent there, but it needs refining. I would keep him in, but only because the game is in WA
Hannan - why he is picked is beyond me. I get he is tall. I get he is quick. I get the is a good shot for goal - the problem is that he just does not get anywhere near enough of the football and do enough when he gets it to impact the contest. Melbourne made a good call here

My ins this week are:

Gardy for Bruce
Either West or Khamis for Hannan (if you are going to have a witches hat, at least have one that you can move around)

McLean stays as sub.

bornadog
18-04-2023, 12:09 AM
JJ was good. Used he ball well and gave some run. He is not the problem - the back 6 is better with him there.

Jones - he is not quite ready. Goes in and out - there is talent there, but it needs refining. I would keep him in, but only because the game is in WA
Hannan - why he is picked is beyond me. I get he is tall. I get he is quick. I get the is a good shot for goal - the problem is that he just does not get anywhere near enough of the football and do enough when he gets it to impact the contest. Melbourne made a good call here

My ins this week are:

Gardy for Bruce
Either West or Khamis for Hannan (if you are going to have a witches hat, at least have one that you can move around)

McLean stays as sub.

Hannan is the almost man. He almost takes a big speccy, he almost runs down a player, he almost tackles at the right time, he almost gets the possession, he almost gets the impossible goal - but never does.

Mofra
18-04-2023, 10:02 AM
I’d prob go unchanged apart from Keath/Gardi for Bruce.

If we had better options I’d drop Hannan but not sure we do. Maybe West but I’m not really across who’s in VFL form.
The VFL bye last week doesn't help us.

soupman
18-04-2023, 11:19 AM
I think Buss will get named as an emergency, with no actual intent to play him. Just means he is included in the paid for group to travel over for a bonus visit home.

I think it'll be largely unchanged. I think Jones will be the sub, McLean to start. Gardner for Bruce.

azabob
19-04-2023, 08:17 PM
I saw footage of Naughton and Buku going to head to head at training today. Khamis to play as a defender?

GVGjr
19-04-2023, 08:34 PM
I saw footage of Naughton and Buku going to head to head at training today. Khamis to play as a defender?

Perhaps but I'm not sure. Keath is a big chance to come in this week.

azabob
19-04-2023, 08:42 PM

I was hoping Gardner would be ready to go?

Grantysghost
19-04-2023, 08:46 PM

There were no seats left for him when the music stopped in "Bevo's musical chairs!"

Happens to the best of them.

Grantysghost
19-04-2023, 08:58 PM

That would be a no brainer (bad concussion joke).

Bruce -> Keath.

macca
19-04-2023, 09:16 PM
Hannan is the almost man. He almost takes a big speccy, he almost runs down a player, he almost tackles at the right time, he almost gets the possession, he almost gets the impossible goal - but never does.

He can almost kick straight , but the rest of the team has the same problem with kicking infront of goal
So it maybe a team problem

Gardner for Bruce
Keep Hannan, dry conditions may get a better result
ARTY for mcClean
Arty the sub

jeemak
19-04-2023, 10:29 PM
Pretty sure Hannan kicked an awesome goal in the wet against Richmond that helped seal the match.

He needs continuity and the confidence that comes with it. If he gets that he'll be a contributor. It's an if though.

GVGjr
19-04-2023, 11:09 PM

Could be a chance as well. I think Keath might be the MC preference if fit.

jeemak
20-04-2023, 01:22 AM
In - Keath/ Gardner
Out - Bruce, Jones

Not sure who to bring in for Jones, there wasn't a lot of promising stuff happening in his actual position prior to the game. But he needs to play at the lower level.

Mantis
20-04-2023, 07:33 AM
Not sure who to bring in for Jones, there wasn't a lot of promising stuff happening in his actual position prior to the game. But he needs to play at the lower level.

And that explains a pretty big issue that we have right now… we’re just shuffling the deck chairs for the last 2-4 spots in the team with no stand out suitors.

mjp
20-04-2023, 11:25 AM
And that explains a pretty big issue that we have right now… we’re just shuffling the deck chairs for the last 2-4 spots in the team with no stand out suitors.

We knew this going into the season...and I think it's closer to 8 than 2. But again, we know this. Most sides are the same...

meenies
20-04-2023, 01:19 PM
I am not sure the deck chairs are the problem for selection. More about what we need to do in play.

See https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-insane-stats-that-show-how-ordinary-dismal-dogs-are-and-theres-no-easy-fix/news-story/e6bca5eeafa8f1857d44637bac01f1f0

I tend to agree with the video and summary they had. This is what they practiced over summer. Moving it out of the defence with a short pass to someone and then CLEAR. This was the drill I kept seeing them do. The consequences of this is that we are outnumbered downfield for that clearance kick. I didn't see us practice what to do to dominate that clearing kick.

I believe we have the right cattle just the wrong execution.

lemmon
20-04-2023, 01:30 PM
Is anyone else concerned about how we counter Darcy and Jackson?

Lobb is there but we're obviously still super reliant on English to have an impact at the contest. I think Longmuir will have Darcy primed to jump into and lean on English all night, wearing Tim down and making it harder to contain Jackson's dynamism when he gets his turn. Cue flashbacks to 2021.

I'd be really considering Sweet this week to try and neutralise Darcy as much as possible and give English some support.

Happy Days
20-04-2023, 01:43 PM
I swear Lobb is a good ruck. I’ve seen it as recently as our last game last year. His best footy before last year was all as GWS’s primary ruck. Time to start acting like it.

soupman
20-04-2023, 02:01 PM
I swear Lobb is a good ruck. I’ve seen it as recently as our last game last year. His best footy before last year was all as GWS’s primary ruck. Time to start acting like it.

Watching him get repeatedly outbodied by Finlayson last week really made me question how aligned I should be with your views.

Happy Days
20-04-2023, 02:03 PM
Watching him get repeatedly outbodied by Finlayson last week really made me question how aligned I should be with your views.

I know, I know. He’s moving around like he doesn’t have knees at the moment.

Rocket Science
20-04-2023, 02:23 PM

Was he putting on a masterclass against Cordy, or Dunkley, or Sam Darcy?

bornadog
20-04-2023, 02:25 PM
I am not sure the deck chairs are the problem for selection. More about what we need to do in play.

See https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-insane-stats-that-show-how-ordinary-dismal-dogs-are-and-theres-no-easy-fix/news-story/e6bca5eeafa8f1857d44637bac01f1f0

I tend to agree with the video and summary they had. This is what they practiced over summer. Moving it out of the defence with a short pass to someone and then CLEAR. This was the drill I kept seeing them do. The consequences of this is that we are outnumbered downfield for that clearance kick. I didn't see us practice what to do to dominate that clearing kick.

I believe we have the right cattle just the wrong execution.

The stats are damming.

What has changed from previous seasons to this season? The game plan.

We were told that the group will be working on a tighter defence system all over the ground, after all that was the big problem last year and the end of the previous year. I don't think the new game plan is working. Our kickers are constantly under pressure to hit a target and they are fluffing their lines no one is bouncing and carrying the ball out of defence and moving the ball quickly and subsequently not finding someone up field and forced to bomb the ball upfield.

We need to change urgently.

Mantis
20-04-2023, 02:41 PM
Is anyone else concerned about how we counter Darcy and Jackson?

Lobb is there but we're obviously still super reliant on English to have an impact at the contest. I think Longmuir will have Darcy primed to jump into and lean on English all night, wearing Tim down and making it harder to contain Jackson's dynamism when he gets his turn. Cue flashbacks to 2021.

I'd be really considering Sweet this week to try and neutralise Darcy as much as possible and give English some support.

I don't get this suggestion at all, especially given Sweet's inability to play anywhere else on the ground except in the ruck.

bornadog
20-04-2023, 03:05 PM
Keath confirmed to replace Bruce

Bulldog4life
20-04-2023, 03:18 PM
Keath confirmed to replace Bruce

Sorry for Brucey. He did better than expected in his new backline role. We certainly missed him when he went off against Port.

bornadog
20-04-2023, 07:29 PM
In Keath

out Bruce, Hannan

Ozza
20-04-2023, 07:37 PM
O'Brien in the side.
Yeah. Ok.

hujsh
20-04-2023, 07:39 PM
In Keath

out Bruce, Hannan

So Mclean the shadow in as the sub last week I assume. I hate how the post the ins and outs since they introduced the sub rule BTW

Danjul
20-04-2023, 07:46 PM
I don't get this suggestion at all, especially given Sweet's inability to play anywhere else on the ground except in the ruck.
I agree and I am looking forward to Lobb having a better game than Sweet usually does. He hasn?t yet.

Note:
Lobb gets 95% game time and spends most of it standing near the goals. That?s why 50% of his disposals against us were goals last year. The game that caught our eye - 100% game time, 7 disposals, 4 goals. Freemantle didn?t use Lobb in the ruck that much, in that game not at all.
Sweet gets 75% and spends most of it doing heavy body work.

1eyedog
20-04-2023, 08:20 PM

Agreed. Also, it would legit be pissing the 4 years of development we've put into English against the wall if we do this now.

It would be nonsensical to bring Sweet into the ruck now that English is on the verge of exploding to AA level.

If we were going to do this it would have been anytime over the past 4 years other than now.

Why bring Sweet in to ruck 15% of the game? Where do we hide him for the other 85% of game time?

Rocco Jones
20-04-2023, 08:27 PM
Tobias sub HFF
Tobias in 22 as HFF
Tobias dropped
Tobias dominates VFL with non stop CBAs
Tobias back into side
Tobias sub HFF
Rinse and repeat

Serenity now if he has another extremely quiet night as a small forward.

azabob
20-04-2023, 08:32 PM
The stats are damming.

What has changed from previous seasons to this season? The game plan.

We were told that the group will be working on a tighter defence system all over the ground, after all that was the big problem last year and the end of the previous year. I don't think the new game plan is working. Our kickers are constantly under pressure to hit a target and they are fluffing their lines no one is bouncing and carrying the ball out of defence and moving the ball quickly and subsequently not finding someone up field and forced to bomb the ball upfield.

We need to change urgently.

Wrong place to open this debate, but i honestly can?t see any difference between last year and this year. It seems same old same old.

Mantis
20-04-2023, 08:54 PM
Tobias sub HFF
Tobias in 22 as HFF
Tobias dropped
Tobias dominates VFL with non stop CBAs
Tobias back into side
Tobias sub HFF
Rinse and repeat

Serenity now if he has another extremely quiet night as a small forward.

He played on the wing in the last qtr last week, but I’m aligned with your thinking… he either plays in the midfield or not at all… but we don’t have any other options in the role he’ll be asked to fill.

bornadog
20-04-2023, 09:01 PM
B: Jason Johannisen, Liam Jones, Tim O’Brien
HB: Bailey Dale, Alex Keath, Ed Richards
C: Jack Macrae, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams
HF: Toby McLean, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman
F: Arthur Jones, Aaron Naughton, Rory Lobb
R: Tim English, Tom Liberatore, Adam Treloar

Int: Taylor Duryea, Caleb Daniel, Oskar Baker, Anthony Scott

Emerg: Mitch Hannan, Lachie McNeil, Jordon Sweet, Buku Khamis

angelopetraglia
20-04-2023, 11:43 PM
Who will be the sub? Hannan would be my guess.

Bumper Bulldogs
21-04-2023, 07:48 AM
I would think that is Williams or McClean on the wing. It the choice

Then it’s Noel or Scott on the HF role

azabob
21-04-2023, 08:46 AM
I would think that is Williams or McClean on the wing. It the choice

Then it’s Noel or Scott on the HF role

McLean on a wing doesn’t fill me with any confidence. He is really struggling with his running and keeping up with the pace of the game.

azabob
21-04-2023, 08:48 AM
Who will be the sub? Hannan would be my guess.

Maybe we should give McNeil a shot at the sub role. Plus that would make GG one happy camper, maybe not the rest of this board, but at least GG is happy.

Grantysghost
21-04-2023, 09:18 AM
McLean on a wing doesn’t fill me with any confidence. He is really struggling with his running and keeping up with the pace of the game.

Agree, is this a "you kicked arse against them last time" move?

Grantysghost
21-04-2023, 09:18 AM
Maybe we should give McNeil a shot at the sub role. Plus that would make GG one happy camper, maybe not the rest of this board, but at least GG is happy.

Haha. I do like McNeil. He's gives everything plus he's a point of difference to all the plodders we have.

Happy Days
21-04-2023, 11:02 AM
I like McNeil too. I know ~ p r e s s u r e a c t s ~ are a joke but at least it’s something positive that I can clearly identify that he does to make us better. As opposed to one or two others who the best we can hope for is them staying out of the way and not getting the ball.

It’s not a coincidence that the best we’ve looked in the last 3 years is with him, Weightman and Scott buzzing around.

1eyedog
21-04-2023, 11:02 AM

Is he though? He had a good 2022 finals match and has played one full game and come on in the last quarter as a sub twice. Also found the footy 45 times in the VFL. If we're keen on him in the side how about we give him a string of three games? He has been afforded zero continuity.

If it turns out he's our Trent Cotchin then fine but I still think he has something to give.

DISHLICKERS
21-04-2023, 11:59 AM
I would like to see Buku get a run.

I always get a buzz seeing number 24 out on the field (Dempsey, Wallis and Biggsy)

bornadog
21-04-2023, 12:03 PM
Is he though? He had a good 2022 finals match and has played one full game and come on in the last quarter as a sub twice. Also found the footy 45 times in the VFL. If we're keen on him in the side how about we give him a string of three games? He has been afforded zero continuity.

If it turns out he's our Trent Cotchin then fine but I still think he has something to give.

I don't know why we have played him on a wing. Either we stick with him as a small forward (like his early years), or he becomes part of the midfield rotations.

1eyedog
21-04-2023, 12:35 PM
I don't know why we have played him on a wing. Either we stick with him as a small forward (like his early years), or he becomes part of the midfield rotations.

Because we have a massive hole in that position. Baker has helped considerably but Williams is just treading water. There is definitely a spot there but like you l'm not convinced he is a wing man. It's forward or bust it seems.

The hope I have for Toby is all around his footy smarts. He is a very smart and creative player but we haven't seen that for a long time due to injuries and form.

I like the idea of him in the forward line he's an excellent mark for his size and he is a very clean set shot with a beautiful action. He needs continuity to build confidence though but we know what he is capable of.

Playing McComb, Hannan, Jones, Scott et al. in front of him is a real head scratcher for me. Scott is a solid role player but he should be outside best 22 for mine because he is so limited. I'd like Toby to get a block of games under his belt and reassess where he's at around mid-season.

He deserves at least that doesn't he?

Axe Man
21-04-2023, 01:03 PM
I would like to see Buku get a run.

I always get a buzz seeing number 24 out on the field (Dempsey, Wallis and Biggsy)

I mean those guys were good but they are no Nick Bruton!

Rocco Jones
21-04-2023, 02:36 PM
Thing with Tobias, I don't mind if we don't give him CBAs at AFL level, just playing him in a role at VFL level that is something resembling what role we see him playing in AFL