PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Opinion: Oskar Baker > Lachie Hunter (but Bedford would have been even BETTER)

mjp
17-03-2023, 01:49 PM
So: Caveat #1.

Lachie has never been my fave player but I have 100% appreciated the way he has been able to lock-down an outside mid role for the best part of a decade and just been SO darned reliable.

But - when we were scouring lists to find new players, Baker was (almost) the perfect selection.

He's played a bit, he runs, he understands width and he kicks it a mile. When I say 'played a bit', I mean he knows enough about senior footy (and gotten enough kicks in the teeth at selection tables) to understand he is NEVER going to be Bont - so he plays within his limitations (which gives him an immediate tick over and above 85% of players on AFL lists).

Lachie - well, he is a club legend and I am sad he isn't with us now...but his last two years in particular have ranged between disappointing to disruptive...he needed to go.

My ONLY caveat here is that Melbourne had an even better fit for us on their list than Baker (Bedford) but the Giants stole him!

hujsh
17-03-2023, 01:59 PM
Hunter was a hard one to judge at times. Lots of touches but his impact on our ball movement at times made you wish he actually got less of the ball. Will be interesting to he how he goes in the Dees system tomorrow.

Baker looks a good bargain pickup which we haven't had in a while.

Mofra
17-03-2023, 02:14 PM
Until I watch Baker run a game out as an outside player at senior AFL level, I'll reserve judgement.

I loved the way Hunter ran back hard to block space as a wingman. His tank just helped our rotations so much.

bornadog
17-03-2023, 03:05 PM
Until I watch Baker run a game out as an outside player at senior AFL level, I'll reserve judgement.

I loved the way Hunter ran back hard to block space as a wingman. His tank just helped our rotations so much.

Agree with this.

Hunter at his best was a gauge on how we were travelling. However, with the issues he had over the past two years, we have done the right thing. Let's see what Baker can do

FrediKanoute
18-03-2023, 04:44 AM

I am with you on that one. There were things I liked in the preseason game, but need to be convinced.

bornadog
18-03-2023, 12:37 PM
Interesting comment from Lachie saying if he was going to tag a player it would be Libba.

GVGjr
18-03-2023, 12:53 PM
Interesting comment from Lachie saying if he was going to tag a player it would be Libba.

If I was coaching against us Libba would be my target.

Grantysghost
18-03-2023, 12:56 PM

Melbourne have done that in the past.

jeemak
18-03-2023, 02:35 PM
Did he give any reason why? For instance, because it stops the ball at the source?

bornadog
18-03-2023, 02:42 PM
Did he give any reason why? For instance, because it stops the ball at the source?

Not really:

Former Bulldog and current Demon Lachie Hunter said if he could tag any Dogs midfielder, he would pick Liberatore, highlighting how he is rated internally.

GVGjr
06-07-2023, 09:48 AM
Noticed this on AFL.com. I think many suspected that we picked up some of his salary but it really does put the trade into some perspective

Melbourne duo Brodie Grundy and Lachie Hunter, as well as Fremantle's Jaeger O'Meara and Collingwood's Tom Mitchell, are others having parts of their salary – and some into the future – being paid for by former clubs.

bornadog
06-07-2023, 09:58 AM
Noticed this on AFL.com. I think many suspected that we picked up some of his salary but it really does put the trade into some perspective

Melbourne duo Brodie Grundy and Lachie Hunter, as well as Fremantle's Jaeger O'Meara and Collingwood's Tom Mitchell, are others having parts of their salary – and some into the future – being paid for by former clubs.

Be interesting to know how much and for how long

GVGjr
06-07-2023, 10:04 AM

In terms of tenure it would likely be for the duration of his contract which expires at the end of 2024 so just 2 years.
It might have also limited our ability to get more involved in other trades last year.

It seems we were keen to get him out.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-07-2023, 10:33 AM
It seems we were keen to get him out.

Disappointing it came to this given he was a reasonably decorated player with us and F/S.

Had/has his flaws (in game) but a very clever player who when fit was (and would still be) clearly our best winger.

How has he been going at Melbourne?

GVGjr
06-07-2023, 11:04 AM
Disappointing it came to this given he was a reasonably decorated player with us and F/S.

Had/has his flaws (in game) but a very clever player who when fit was (and would still be) clearly our best winger.

How has he been going at Melbourne?
Melbourne mates rate him highly.

Bullies
06-07-2023, 11:09 AM

How has he been going at Melbourne? Agree. B & F winner as well. He would perfect for us on the wing at the moment. But circumstances meant for the benefit of both player and club that they part ways.

Baker is a fringe player at best so really no comparison.

ReLoad
06-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Agree. B & F winner as well. He would perfect for us on the wing at the moment. But circumstances meant for the benefit of both player and club that they part ways.

Baker is a fringe player at best so really no comparison.

Hunters last 2 years with us were the same, nothing more than a Fringe player.

hujsh
06-07-2023, 11:32 AM
Small bits I've seen, Hunter's style seems less likely to clog up Melbourne's attacking moves. When he stops and props he seems able to release other runners and keep things moving. With us he seemed to quite often seemed to contribute to us getting bogged down with a series of handballs in a circle until he or someone else kicked it forward around their body to the opposition key back or ruckman.

bornadog
06-07-2023, 11:42 AM
Small bits I've seen, Hunter's style seems less likely to clog up Melbourne's attacking moves. When he stops and props he seems able to release other runners and keep things moving. With us he seemed to quite often seemed to contribute to us getting bogged down with a series of handballs in a circle until he or someone else kicked it forward around their body to the opposition key back or ruckman.

He seemed to kick a lot back to defensive half. Was frustrating, but at his peak he was pretty good.

G-Mo77
06-07-2023, 12:19 PM

I've always been an advocate for a transparent list of salaries in professional sports. There is too much guessing from everyone and to have it hidden at AFL house like this opens doors for corruption.

GVGjr
06-07-2023, 04:47 PM
He seemed to kick a lot back to defensive half. Was frustrating, but at his peak he was pretty good.

There was a 3 or 4 year patch where he was a terrific player for us.

hujsh
06-07-2023, 04:49 PM
His numbers this year are above 2022 and 2021 but still way down on his best years. Maybe that's for the best for Melbourne though he's not someone you necessarily want having 30 touches

Bulldog Joe
06-07-2023, 05:23 PM
His numbers this year are above 2022 and 2021 but still way down on his best years. Maybe that's for the best for Melbourne though he's not someone you necessarily want having 30 touches

He has been pretty good for Melbourne every time I have seen them play.

Baker has been nowhere near as good for us but still better than Lachie had been in the previous 3 seasons.

Whatever Lachie's issues were/are he is clearly benefitting from the change. We are also probably better because of that change also.

Hope Lachie continues to do well but further premiership success is for the players left at the Bulldogs.

EasternWest
06-07-2023, 07:17 PM
He has been pretty good for Melbourne every time I have seen them play.

Baker has been nowhere near as good for us but still better than Lachie had been in the previous 3 seasons.

Whatever Lachie's issues were/are he is clearly benefitting from the change. We are also probably better because of that change also.

Hope Lachie continues to do well but further premiership success is for the players left at the Bulldogs.

Yeah so far it's a win win. I think Lachie is a bit of a boofhead but that's no hanging offense. He was a great player for us and I'm happy he seems in a good place.