PDA

View Full Version : Ted Whitten MCG Statue?

angelopetraglia
20-03-2023, 12:13 PM
Always such a buzz walking to the MCG. It is great to admire the awesome statues around the ground celebrating some of the games greatest players and characters.

One thing I think about every time. Where is the statue for Mr Football?

There are statues of (VFL/AFL Footballers):

Kevin Bartlett
Norm Smith
John Coleman
Ron Barassi
Haydn Bunton
Dick Reynolds
Leigh Matthews
Jim Stynes

Surely Ted sits comfortable in that company? He was the games record holder. He won a Premiership on the MCG. Played in another GF. Also, he lap of honour in 1995 was one of the most touching and emotional moments I have ever witnessed at the MCG. Ted deserves a statue.

How do we make this happen?

bornadog
20-03-2023, 12:16 PM
Always such a buzz walking to the MCG. It is great to admire the awesome statues around the ground celebrating some of the games greatest players and characters.

One thing I think about every time. Where is the statue for Mr Football?

There are statues of (VFL/AFL Footballers):

Kevin Bartlett
Norm Smith
John Coleman
Ron Barassi
Haydn Bunton
Dick Reynolds
Leigh Matthews

Surely Ted sits comfortable in that company? How do we make this happen?

The one I don't understand is a statue for Jim Stynes? Not having a go at the bloke, but he really did nothing extra ordinary to deserve his own statue.

Teddy does deserve one - he was known as Mr Football for a very long time.

angelopetraglia
20-03-2023, 12:20 PM
The one I don't understand is a statue for Jim Stynes? Not having a go at the bloke, but he really did nothing extra ordinary to deserve his own statue.

Stynes gets one because of the MCG Melbourne Football Club bias.

There are only eight VFL/AFL statues. Melbourne has three of them. Barassi, Smith and Stynes.

GVGjr
20-03-2023, 12:32 PM

I tend to agree but I wonder if the reasons behind his statue is him moving from Ireland and winning a Brownlow and stepping in as an administrator when Melbourne were struggling.

bornadog
20-03-2023, 12:43 PM
I tend to agree but I wonder if the reasons behind his statue is him moving from Ireland and winning a Brownlow and stepping in as an administrator when Melbourne were struggling.

they are the reasons, but there are far more deserving players in the history of the AFL

bulldogtragic
20-03-2023, 12:44 PM
What’s the criteria for getting one?

angelopetraglia
20-03-2023, 12:46 PM
What’s the criteria for getting one?

This was from 2016 ...

ABOUT AUSTRALIA POST AVENUE OF LEGENDS

The Australia Post Avenue of Legends is a series of statues placed in Yarra Park, extending from the MCC members entrance of the MCG (Gate 2) up an avenue towards Wellington Parade.

Selection criteria for the Australia Post Avenue of Legends dictates candidates must be Australian, renowned for their sportsmanship and that they or their sport played has a strong connection with the MCG.

The selection committee comprises MCC vice-president David Crow (chairman), MCC committee member Charles Sitch, MCC club manager Mark Anderson and journalists Greg Baum and Mike Sheahan

SquirrelGrip
20-03-2023, 12:50 PM
The Melbourne City Council last year voted to fast track statues of women to address the gender imbalance of statues. Chances of having a new male statue anywhere within the City of Melbourne for the next few years would be next to impossible.

angelopetraglia
20-03-2023, 12:55 PM
The Melbourne City Council last year voted to fast track statues of women to address the gender imbalance of statues. Chances of having a new male statue anywhere within the City of Melbourne for the next few years would be next to impossible.

STATUES AT THE MELBOURNE CRICKET GROUND

Cricket

Sir Donald Bradman
Keith Miller
Bill Ponsford
Dennis Lillee
Shane Warne
Neil Harvey

Australian football

Ron Barassi
Leigh Matthews
Dick Reynolds
Haydn Bunton
John Coleman
Norm Smith
Jim Stynes
Kevin Bartlett (in 2017)

Athletics

Shirley Strickland
Betty Cuthbert

Currently only two females. But both incredibly deserving to be there.

D Mitchell
25-03-2023, 03:22 PM
There's an obvious bias in favour of those associated with the MCG - fair enough. Thinking outside the box, the solution is to enhance the status of the Western Oval, where there's already a statue of Ted, by
(a) continuing development of stands;
(b) demolition of the buildings between Hocking and Beech Streets and turning the site into a car park;
(c) extend a branch line for the 82 tram south along Gordon Street to Barkley Street;
(d) construct a light rail from Avalon Airport to West Footscray Station;
(d) hard lobby the AFL, Cricket Victoria and Cricket Australia to play AFL, Sheffield Shield and Test games;
(e) erect statues of Ray Bright, Les Joslin, Ken Eastwood, Noel Freeman.

bornadog
25-03-2023, 04:52 PM
There's an obvious bias in favour of those associated with the MCG - fair enough. Thinking outside the box, the solution is to enhance the status of the Western Oval, where's there's already a statue of Ted, by
(a) continuing development of stands;
(b) demolition of the buildings between Hocking and Beech Streets and turning the site into a car park;
(c) extend a branch line for the 82 tram south along Gordon Street to Barkley Street;
(d) construct a light rail from Avalon Airport to West Footscray Station;
(d) hard lobby the AFL, Cricket Victoria and Cricket Australia to play AFL, Sheffield Shield and Test games;
(e) erect statues of Ray Bright, Les Joslin, Ken Eastwood, Noel Freeman.

Love your thinking