PDA

View Full Version : 3 things I've learned - R3 vs Brisbane

GVGjr
29-03-2023, 09:42 PM
You know the drill, please list 3 new things you learned from our Round 3 clash against the Brisbane Lions.

GVGjr
30-03-2023, 08:48 PM
Bump

westbulldog
30-03-2023, 11:25 PM
1. Naughton is a great competitor but a totally unreliable kick for goal.
2. Baker was worth recruiting.
3. Lobb is either injured or disinterested, not contributing.

Mofra
30-03-2023, 11:29 PM
1. I was wrong, Bruce's positioning in defence was good tonight. He can play there.
2. Good kicking is good football, Marra showed it tonight
3. One of Arty or Weightman has to be in each week. Players who "bring their own energy" are worth more than what their stats sheet says

macca
30-03-2023, 11:39 PM
1. We can simplify our footy with focused effort , contest , defence and team work . It puts more pressure back on the opposition to work harder or spill the errors.
2. Bruce was solid tongiht and it released Keith further up the ground for chop out marks. keith took some telling marks in the last quartrr and stopped their run
3. Loved seeing Arty energy , it uplifts the team

westdog54
30-03-2023, 11:40 PM
1. We really miss Dunkley. But will get over it.
2. With a bit of luck, Tim English could be AA ruck this year.
3. Omnia Vincit Amor (Love conquers all).

macca
30-03-2023, 11:45 PM

Westy have you seen his youtube channel ? Its awesome ... not Really not much to miss

Agree we will get over it and somone will stand up and the opportunity

F'scary
30-03-2023, 11:46 PM
1. Garcia needs some smarts.
2. Lobb is not performing . No more excuses.
3. Keath isback

F'scary
30-03-2023, 11:47 PM

Re number 3 do you want to conquer my arse ?

EasternWest
30-03-2023, 11:51 PM

This is about your third bizarre comment tonight. RUOK?

F'scary
31-03-2023, 12:16 AM
It is the police

AshMac
31-03-2023, 12:22 AM
1. Nice to see Macrae, smith and Treloar all have good games. They are so important to us
2. When we played on we had some nice transition but that final 60m into our F50 looks awful
3. Brisbane didn?t do enough running in the off-season

1eyedog
31-03-2023, 12:28 AM

I mean I'm excited by tonight's result as well but this is just F scary.

The Bulldogs Bite
31-03-2023, 12:45 AM
1. Trio of JJ, Dale and Richards is good for our ball movement from the back half. Let's stick with it.

2. Spirit counts for a lot and we had a lot of it tonight.

3. We really miss Weightman. Badly.

SonofScray
31-03-2023, 12:51 AM
1. JUH is a young man that can thrive in the big moments. Maybe not learned, but affirmed.

2. A chain of possessions out of defence going from Keath to Jones to Bruce in any order is absolutely the most awkward and hilariously effective, as well as dangerous and terrifying passage of play you can have in football.

3. Despite the tension amongst the faithful and coach, the moments that Arty and Bont narrowly missed could have blown the roof off tonight. Can’t dispute the passion of our most rusted on fans who were there tonight.

GVGjr
31-03-2023, 01:27 AM
1 - Oskar Baker proves that the stigma some have about recruiting players from the State leagues is wrong.
2 - Marra has immense pride in his heritage. I knew he was proud but it's next level proud.
3 - After a tough week footy can still be a lot of fun

MrMahatma
31-03-2023, 02:20 AM
1. Scott competed hard and should always be in the team.
2. Bont should almost never handball. In our midfield he’s the only 50+ kick
3. Marra is just warming up. So glad we have him.

Boots
31-03-2023, 09:01 AM
1. We can tackle and apply pressure when we want to, but we still can’t take marks.
2. I dearly love watching our boys play with conviction.
3. When the doggies are up and about this forum really doubles down on the puns. Good show all.

Boots
31-03-2023, 09:03 AM
1. We can simplify our footy with focused effort , contest , defence and team work . It puts more pressure back on the opposition to work harder or spill the errors.
2. Bruce was solid tongiht and it released Keith further up the ground for chop out marks. keith took some telling marks in the last quartrr and stopped their run
3. Loved seeing Arty energy , it uplifts the team

yeah the ?back to basics? approach REALLY worked. Can we please play simple every week, we?re incredible when we do.

Mantis
31-03-2023, 09:05 AM
1/ It helps when you try... that's all we ask for.
2/ JJ may not be done as defender.
3/ We badly missed Treloar against St.Kilda.

GVGjr
31-03-2023, 09:10 AM
1/ It helps when you try... that's all we ask for.
2/ JJ may not be done as defender.
3/ We badly missed Treloar against St.Kilda.

One of the players sponsors I know is a very pragmatic bloke and he often say this. "If they show up to play, I'll show up to watch"
He also made the same comments last night about point 2 and 3 you detailed.

Happy Days
31-03-2023, 09:28 AM
1. When you have a love in your life it makes you stronger than anything you can imagine.

2. Riley Garcia is, strictly within the parameters of an AFL game, kind of a dickhead. So is Joe Daniher but I already knew that.

3. Jack Macrae still cares about football.

bornadog
31-03-2023, 09:37 AM
1. Restrict the turnovers, win the contested ball and clearances especially centre and winning is easier.

2. We are still not moving the ball fast enough from the backline, but got away with it.

3. Bevo is still a genius

hujsh
31-03-2023, 10:44 AM
1. When you have a love in your life it makes you stronger than anything you can imagine.

2. Riley Garcia is, strictly within the parameters of an AFL game, kind of a dickhead. So is Joe Daniher but I already knew that.

3. Jack Macrae still cares about football.

Must be a designated role. With Vanders injured someone has to give dumb frees and 50s away

bornadog
31-03-2023, 10:48 AM
Must be a designated role. With Vanders injured someone has to give dumb frees and 50s away

Bont was unsually giving frees away - 6

Boots
31-03-2023, 10:52 AM

it felt like it was because he was tackling so hard. Quite a few holding the man calls I think across the team. You’d expect a bit of ill discipline with that much sustained effort.

bornadog
31-03-2023, 10:53 AM
it felt like it was because he was tackling so hard. Quite a few holding the man calls I think across the team. You’d expect a bit of ill discipline with that much sustained effort.

None were crucial to give away goals.

Bulldog4life
31-03-2023, 12:12 PM
1. The boys are back in town.
2. Our forward line will be more dangerous when Cody is back. Miss him a lot.
3. I am still in the camp In Bevo we trust. Well done Bevo.

ReLoad
31-03-2023, 01:12 PM
1. The Bevos time is up camp can stand down for a while (i am one of those btw!)
2. Oskar selling candy was ace, but I just about imploded when Bont had that shot on goal from the middle, if that went through I could die right then a happy man.
3. Dunkley is the blandest of the bland. in the dictionary under bland there is a picture of him (with Ads cut out of the picture)

Bonus learnings
4. Everyone is getting stuck into Lobb, but I thought he offered something different (i.e a second ruckman!) and he kicked a couple, so not overly critical despite him being clearly underdone.

merantau
31-03-2023, 01:49 PM
1. I prefer Dr. Jekyl to Mr. Hyde
2. Our defence was excellent tonight - Daniher, Hipwood, Cameron, McCarthy etc never got a look in.
3. Oskar Baker can play and will be a lock this year.

EasternWest
31-03-2023, 03:05 PM
3. Dunkley is the blandest of the bland. in the dictionary under bland there is a picture of him (with Ads cut out of the picture).

https://i.postimg.cc/tJRNPsX0/images-35.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Disapproves.

josie
31-03-2023, 05:17 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/tJRNPsX0/images-35.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Disapproves.

Arrested development - a classic show.

hujsh
31-03-2023, 05:27 PM
Arrested development - a classic show.

What're you talking about that's clearly a still of Dunkley's draft profile.

DOG GOD
31-03-2023, 07:13 PM
1. Baker is an upgrade on Hunter.
2. Naughton should play further up the ground more often. Looks a totally different player when he has room to move.
3. JJ put a smile on my face. Looked determined and focused.

westdog54
31-03-2023, 09:01 PM
1. Baker is an upgrade on Hunter.
2. Naughton should play further up the ground more often. Looks a totally different player when he has room to move.
3. JJ put a smile on my face. Looked determined and focused.

You'll love this footage then:

https://fb.watch/jCmvU2FrjL/?mibextid=NnVzG8

AshMac
31-03-2023, 10:22 PM
Loved this passage of play - watched JJ?s run the whole way and thought it was vintage J

Really glad they cut Naughtons kick off the replay

AshMac
31-03-2023, 10:23 PM
Just watched Fagans press conference and he seems like the best bloke. Loved what he said about Jamarra

hujsh
01-04-2023, 01:45 AM
Just watched Fagans press conference and he seems like the best bloke. Loved what he said about Jamarra

I'm really wondering if this is earnest or a great dry piece of humor

Bulldog4life
01-04-2023, 12:45 PM

He does feature in the Hawk's report. Just saying.

azabob
01-04-2023, 01:11 PM
1. Oscar Baker is better than advertised.
2. Richards proved he can lock down on a small forward and still provide attacking run.
3. Arty Jones deserved his debut and was not handed to him

What I still do not know

1. Why does Naughton ruck in our F50 and not Lobb when they are both playing forward?
2. Does Keath or Bruce get dropped for Gardner? Bruce especially is doing better than expected.
3. Can the players keep the same intensity week in week out, quarter from quarter?

Happy Days
01-04-2023, 01:51 PM

I think it’s another attempt at “aww shucks”-ing his way out of getting outcoached. It’s pretty much his signature move.

Grantysghost
01-04-2023, 01:57 PM
I think it’s another attempt at “aww shucks”-ing his way out of getting outcoached. It’s pretty much his signature move.

Yes I'm a lovely guy, really I am... Guys I am.

Flamethrower
01-04-2023, 02:07 PM
1. Oscar Baker is better than advertised.
2. Richards proved he can lock down on a small forward and still provide attacking run.
3. Arty Jones deserved his debut and was not handed to him

What I still do not know

1. Why does Naughton ruck in our F50 and not Lobb when they are both playing forward?
2. Does Keath or Bruce get dropped for Gardner? Bruce especially is doing better than expected.
3. Can the players keep the same intensity week in week out, quarter from quarter?

From what I have read Lobb has an ankle issue that can be aggravated by the kind of contact that occurs in a ruck duel (moreso around the ground where the ruckmen are side to side rather that at centre bounce where they face each other). It flared up Thursday night which is why he was subbed out.

azabob
01-04-2023, 02:12 PM
From what I have read Lobb has an ankle issue that can be aggravated by the kind of contact that occurs in a ruck duel (moreso around the ground where the ruckmen are side to side rather that at centre bounce where they face each other). It flared up Thursday night which is why he was subbed out.

If that’s true why on earth play Lobb?

BornInDroopSt'54
01-04-2023, 02:23 PM
No quote.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-04-2023, 02:26 PM

Yes I noticed. Seemed to be symptomatic of our approach to the game to tackle and bump hard ergo Garcia taking it to whiteline fever level.
He'll be OK, a little ball of attack on ball and man like Daulhaus.

BornInDroopSt'54
01-04-2023, 02:38 PM
1. Faith is better than reason.
2. Our collective heart still beats and powered us to this one.
3. Something was not right within the collective to start the season.

hujsh
01-04-2023, 08:03 PM
I think it?s another attempt at ?aww shucks?-ing his way out of getting outcoached. It?s pretty much his signature move.

I meant more Ashmac's reaction. Saying he's a great bloke and bringing up Jamarra would immediately remind me of that other little issue that's been brushed aside recently.

Uninformed
01-04-2023, 09:16 PM
1. We do have someone to go with the Charlie Cameron types (and can still generate serious drive!)
2. All good things start with pressure
3. Our recruiters can pick 'em.

D Mitchell
01-04-2023, 11:16 PM
This is about your third bizarre comment tonight. RUOK?

"It's over. It's all over."

"...the dam wall is (has ?) busted" Bruce McAvaney. That's a great signature, Liam Picken's goal, the sealer, the first time I relaxed all day.

Dry Rot
01-04-2023, 11:57 PM
Baker can play a good role, impressive.

We look better when Naughton plays higher up the ground and is more involved

Jones Jn potentially could give us something we don't have up forward

BornInDroopSt'54
02-04-2023, 12:00 AM
"It's over. It's all over."

"...the dam wall is (has ?) busted" Bruce McAvaney. That's a great signature, Liam Picken's goal, the sealer, the first time I relaxed all day.

I feel a vacuum in that situation.
I like your subscript, Bruce will forever remain in my brain for his call in '16. He showed heart and gave his all.