PDA

View Full Version : A mid season draft ?

LostDoggy
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I have read a couple fo threads about how the new teams could be implemented into the comeptition and I noticed that the Doc made mention of players like Urch and Cloke that could be candidates.

The way I see this is that the AFL needs to build up its playing numbers asap so that the new teams can access players that have been in system for a couple of years.

I recommend that all teams should have a full book of rookies and in fact a full list of players. When we look at the Bulldogs, as we often do, we recently lost the services of Gavin Hughes and to this end we have no way of bringing another player into our club.
Sure it won't hinder our senior list but I was wondering if their would be any merit in having midseason drafts so that potentially a Cloke, Urch or even a Cam Lockwood could be added to a senior or rookie list for the balance of a season?

I see no downside to this other than the cost which the AFL should cover because the upside is that potentially the expansion clubs have a bigger list of players to select from.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

GVGjr
11-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I like the idea of this. The AFL is the showcase for footy and if there is players from the state competitions that could be brought in by teams struggling or struck down by injuries then I think it's a good idea.

Go_Dogs
11-04-2008, 03:19 PM
I like the idea of this. The AFL is the showcase for footy and if there is players from the state competitions that could be brought in by teams struggling or struck down by injuries then I think it's a good idea.

Agreed, but possibly too logical for the AFL.

GVGjr
11-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Agreed, but possibly too logical for the AFL.

We need to find 80 more players and looking at this lists currently this might be difficult. At least this option might bring a few more players into consideration and bring them closer to the requirements of senior football.

The Underdog
11-04-2008, 03:47 PM
I guess the one question it brings up is money and salary cap.
Could we really justify paying another player when we operate on such a fine edge?
I do kind of like the idea from the perspective of players who may have been overlooked, but didn't the original one flounder because not that many teams were participating?

GVGjr
11-04-2008, 03:55 PM
I guess the one question it brings up is money and salary cap.
Could we really justify paying another player when we operate on such a fine edge?
I do kind of like the idea from the perspective of players who may have been overlooked, but didn't the original one flounder because not that many teams were participating?

Unless I am reading the opening post wrong I think there is two points here.

1 - This could be a short term rule to help bring in a few more players into the professional AFL environment which means that they could potentially be selected by the expansion teams further down the track.
They would need to replace an injured or retired player like Hughes so the cost would be minimal and they would play for match payments. It could also be funded by the AFL until the expansion teams are up and running.

2 - Finding the extra 80 players will weaken the competition unless the AFL start to get more players aligned to the clubs sooner rather than later. For any team that might lose players to the expansion teams having a great rookie list to chose from or gauge can only be a good thing.

I think the idea has some merit but the devil is in the detail.

hujsh
11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Do people think we would have drafted Pods if there was a mid season draft in 05?

LostDoggy
12-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Do people think we would have drafted Pods if there was a mid season draft in 05?
Maybe but only because of all the injuries not his ability, he isn't an AFL standard footballer.

I like the idea of the mid season draft over the next few years. If a team has a lot of injuries to ruckman then why shouldn't some good ruckman in the state leagues get an opportunity.