PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Bulldogs: James O'Donnell

Vred
06-04-2023, 01:55 AM
Seems like late yesterday it was leaked/reported that the Dogs have signed James O'Donnell - Cat B rookie

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/simon-o-donnell-s-son-signs-for-western-bulldogs-20230405-p5cyh7.html

The Western Bulldogs have signed James O?Donnell, the son of former Australian cricketer Simon O?Donnell, as a convert from cricket.The Bulldogs have signed O?Donnell, who has been playing Premier Cricket for Essendon, as a category B rookie - the same rule that Geelong used to recruit Mark Blicavs from athletics and Collingwood deployed to sign American Mason Cox.
O?Donnell?s father Simon, who is also a well-known media personality, played football for St Kilda, where his father Kevin also played in the 1940s, making James a prospective third generation of the family to play the game at the top level.
O?Donnell is an all-rounder at Premier Cricket level, but has a football pedigree, having played for Victoria in the under 12s, alongside North Melbourne?s Will Phillips and Bulldog Luke Cleary. He concentrated mainly on cricket at Xavier College.

O?Donnell, 21, had a late growth spurt at 18-19 years of age, according to club sources, and is 197 centimetres - making him a potential key-position prospect, although the Bulldogs are open-minded about what positions he might fill. He had been a midfield-sized player when he last played the game.
The Bulldogs? expectation is that he could start playing in defence, where it is easier to learn the game. He has not played football since his latter school days.
O?Donnell tested strongly for athletic traits when assessed by the Bulldogs, showing good speed and endurance.
O?Donnell will join training at the Bulldogs on Friday.

The Bulldogs found O?Donnell via the club?s head of high-performance Mat Inness, who is involved at Essendon Cricket Club. They do not expect O?Donnell to play immediately and will give him time to adjust to the game.

hujsh
06-04-2023, 02:15 AM
I don't hate us doing something a bit different and taking a gamble like this.

Bulldog Joe
06-04-2023, 06:57 AM
I don't hate us doing something a bit different and taking a gamble like this.

We need to always be on the lookout for potential.

Mark Blicavs is probably the best example of someone from a different sport.

westdog54
06-04-2023, 07:14 AM
This scenario is one of the reasons the rookie list was designed for on the first place.

The "Cat B" rookies should just be rookies and everyone else on the main list.

Good on the club for giving James a shot. Circumstances can change in an sorts of ways.

bulldogtragic
06-04-2023, 08:27 AM
A free hit, but for maybe 6-18 months wage. I like it. I don’t see Sam Power wasting club’s resources/money if he didn’t think there was a good chance at a return. If he develops well then he and Busslinger can slowly transition into the team as our KPD’s retire. Nice strategy if the boys turn out ok. Get them Doedee for support…

Kind of reads a little like English. A midfielder as a junior and then a growth spurt into KPP size.

And we still have a Cat A spot open at the MSD. Heading into the ND.

The ‘rich’ clubs have been using Cat B for a long time. We really haven’t with just a year of Tweedie and now Raak. It’s not lost on me that we are doing something out if the ordinary for us, using a luxury in life, that we don’t often get but often watch others binging on them.

GVGjr
06-04-2023, 08:40 AM
I get the free hit component and if Mat Inness and the recruiting team thinks he has the athletic attributes to potentially make it that works for me.

Testekill
06-04-2023, 08:54 AM
Take a gamble, if we feel he has elite attributes that would transfer to AFL then why not it's worth a punt. I can't imagine Power would waste money on a cricket convert that he doesn't think would make it.

Sedat
06-04-2023, 10:25 AM
A free hit, but for maybe 6-18 months wage. I like it. I don’t see Sam Power wasting club’s resources/money if he didn’t think there was a good chance at a return. If he develops well then he and Busslinger can slowly transition into the team as our KPD’s retire. Nice strategy if the boys turn out ok. Get them Doedee for support…

Kind of reads a little like English. A midfielder as a junior and then a growth spurt into KPP size.

And we still have a Cat A spot open at the MSD. Heading into the ND.

The ‘rich’ clubs have been using Cat B for a long time. We really haven’t with just a year of Tweedie and now Raak. It’s not lost on me that we are doing something out if the ordinary for us, using a luxury in life, that we don’t often get but often watch others binging on them.
The Blicavs comparison sounds apt. He can literally play anywhere and really well - midfield tagger, ruck, key defence, wing, could probably play forwad if they didn't have Hawkins and Cameron. I wouldn't put any restritions on where O'Donnell plays - let him develop in multiple areas at VFL level for the next 18 months.

Patrick Cripps is an elite 195cms stoppage and clearance mid, and O'Donnell is only 2 cms taller.

Axe Man
06-04-2023, 10:31 AM
It's great to see us taking a punt on a cat B rookie. We seem to have been either unwilling or unable to get involved in other sport converts or overseas players since the Fiji experiment. The NGA kids like Buku and Raak are a completely different proposition.

As for O'Donnell another developing KPD to pair with Busslinger in the coming years would be ideal.

Mofra
06-04-2023, 10:35 AM
We need to always be on the lookout for potential.

Mark Blicavs is probably the best example of someone from a different sport.
Cox is handy.
Plenty of ex basketballers have done well, then there's the Irish contingent too

Mofra
06-04-2023, 10:35 AM
Take a gamble, if we feel he has elite attributes that would transfer to AFL then why not it's worth a punt. I can't imagine Power would waste money on a cricket convert that he doesn't think would make it.
Alex Keath had since alright for a tall cricket convert as well

Happy Days
06-04-2023, 10:40 AM
Weird that there’s nothing official from the club yet.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-04-2023, 10:44 AM
That rule is there to be exploited and I am glad we did

I wish we would recruit from Ireland also.
Ed Richards is from a famous Collingwood family who we valued higher than the resource rich club.
Now O'Donnel from Saints sitting on top of ladder.
It apeases me that we can be a destination club apart from Treloar being shown the door.
O'Donnel chose FFC rather than his families club deliberately with due consideration it seems.

Stevo
06-04-2023, 10:57 AM
So we have added him now so we can spend the balance of the season developing him? If so could we have done something similar with our open list spot and started the development early or are we more interested in checking the state leagues and adding a 19 year old that was over looked?

soupman
06-04-2023, 11:13 AM
So we have added him now so we can spend the balance of the season developing him? If so could we have done something similar with our open list spot and started the development early or are we more interested in checking the state leagues and adding a 19 year old that was over looked?

Pretty sure we could've provided we signed them prior to the season starting, now we have to wait for the MSD.

bornadog
06-04-2023, 11:16 AM
It's great to see us taking a punt on a cat B rookie. We seem to have been either unwilling or unable to get involved in other sport converts or overseas players since the Fiji experiment. The NGA kids like Buku and Raak are a completely different proposition.

As for O'Donnell another developing KPD to pair with Busslinger in the coming years would be ideal.
we really do need to develop some young KPD. Hopefully James can play

Grantysghost
06-04-2023, 11:27 AM
It's official.

Bulldogs sign ex-cricketer as Rookie (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1300201)

https://i.postimg.cc/nVWRcdkK/Screenshot-20230406-103228.png (https://postimg.cc/z3nSxF43)
The Western Bulldogs have signed former cricketer James O'Donnell as a Category B Rookie.

A talented athlete across his junior years, O'Donnell was pursuing a career in cricket via the district competition for Essendon, playing alongside brother Tom, who is currently in the Victorian squad.

The 20-year-old will become a third generation VFL/AFL player with his Grandfather (Kevin) and father (Simon) playing games for St Kilda during the 1940's and 1980's respectively.

Simon O'Donnell also represented Australia in cricket, playing six test matches and pulling on the green and gold 87 times in ODI cricket during his career.

O'Donnell comes to the Bulldogs with a previous background in football, having played alongside defender Luke Cleary and North Melbourne midfielder Will Phillips in the Victorian Under 12 schoolboys football side.

Previously, O'Donnell had also played junior football for Kew and Xavier College before deciding to pursue cricket, having not played a match since 2019.

Bulldogs National Recruiting Manager, Dom Milesi was thrilled to secure O'Donnell after following the youngster closely in the event that football became an option.

We've had our eye on James across the year and we're really excited that he's chosen to return to football with the Western Bulldogs, Milesi said.

James has a really strong athletic profile at 197cm and 88kg, having a significant growth spurt since last playing football, bringing some versatility to our list.
Everyone is looking forward to welcoming him to the Club and watching him developing in the coming years.

O'Donnell becomes the first alternate athlete signed by the Western Bulldogs as Category B Rookie and is now an additional player on the playing list.

He will arrive at VU Whitten Oval on Friday, April 7.

Bulldog Joe
06-04-2023, 11:49 AM
Alex Keath had since alright for a tall cricket convert as well

Keath did play footy right up to draft age and was an initial Gold Coast listed player.

He rejected that for a cricket contract.

D Mitchell
06-04-2023, 12:15 PM
Both his father and grandfather played for St Kilda, I wonder if it rankles, think Sam Darcy. Simon kicked 100 goals in a season in his final year at school, a feat bettered a few years later by Billy Brownless (150 goals). "How did you go in Matric, Billy ?" "I kicked 100 goals". Simon scored centuries in his first game for Victoria in 1984 and in his first game at Lords, against MCC. James has a good sporting pedigree. A good prospect. Someone at the Club is astute, keeping an eye on him.

Happy Days
06-04-2023, 12:23 PM
There’s a maybe 1% chance this works but that’s exactly what the Cat B list is for. There’s been a sense about the club being unwilling to take this sort of swing in the past so I’m counting this as a breath of fresh air.

Rocco Jones
06-04-2023, 12:25 PM
There’s a maybe 1% chance this works but that’s exactly what the Cat B list is for. There’s been a sense about the club being unwilling to take this sort of swing in the past so I’m counting this as a breath of fresh air.

This. Well hoping it's more than 1%.

derb
06-04-2023, 01:05 PM
I wonder if he will play this weekend?

Sedat
06-04-2023, 01:18 PM
I'll gladly take the 1% option over the 0.00000000001% option from our wildly optimistic and rather ill-fated Fijian sojourn about a decade ago.

Happy Days
06-04-2023, 01:31 PM
I'll gladly take the 1% option over the 0.00000000001% option from our wildly optimistic and rather ill-fated Fijian sojourn about a decade ago.

Did that guy we picked up ever make it out of exile?

macca
06-04-2023, 02:34 PM
This is a good Low risk investment with good upside potential , ticks a lot of boxes :
1. Good footy pedigree : dad and grandpa played vfl
2. Athletic traits
3. Has played elite sports
4. Alex Keath can help with support and transition , as someone who has gone through the same system
5. Our staff have done analysis and picked up someone local

I feel very positive on this

bulldogtragic
06-04-2023, 03:56 PM
Did that guy we picked up ever make it out of exile?

Inoke Ratu last I heard was playing average local footy down Geelong league.

Axe Man
06-04-2023, 03:59 PM
Did the players used to have a cricket match against the Melbourne Storm years ago? With O'Donnell, Keath and Cleary we would wipe the floor with them!

mjp
06-04-2023, 04:09 PM
we really do need to develop some young KPD. Hopefully James can play

Well, we've taken two in the past 6-months now - potentially 3 in the past 18 months depending on how you see Darcy - so you can't accuse the club of not trying to get ahead of the game on this.

bornadog
06-04-2023, 06:04 PM
Well, we've taken two in the past 6-months now - potentially 3 in the past 18 months depending on how you see Darcy - so you can't accuse the club of not trying to get ahead of the game on this.

Yes and with Croft coming in next year, plus JUH, the future is bright for KPD's/talls. Power seems to have a plan :eek:

soupman
06-04-2023, 06:13 PM
Very happy with this. This is the kind of low cost (in terms of draft capital and list spots) chances the club should be taking.

westdog54
06-04-2023, 08:51 PM
Inoke Ratu last I heard was playing average local footy down Geelong league.

Last news article I could find about him had him playing for Warrnambool in 2013.

Go_Dogs
06-04-2023, 10:37 PM
Late catching up on this but like it

Eastdog
06-04-2023, 10:40 PM
Pretty cool news. Good luck to James and welcome to the Bulldogs.

derb
07-04-2023, 01:29 PM
Trained with the injured players today.

Doesn't look like he will play in tomorrow's VFL match.

GVGjr
07-04-2023, 02:03 PM
Trained with the injured players today.

Doesn't look like he will play in tomorrow's VFL match.

Yep, very doubtful he will play straight away.

derb
07-04-2023, 06:53 PM
I was hoping we would get a look at him tomorrow in the VFL side.

GVGjr
07-04-2023, 08:10 PM
I was hoping we would get a look at him tomorrow in the VFL side.

Shame because he won't play for at least 2 more weeks.

D Mitchell
08-04-2023, 11:07 AM
Is the VFL playing a curtain raiser today ?

bornadog
08-04-2023, 11:08 AM
Is the VFL playing a curtain raiser today ?

Yes at Punt Rd

D Mitchell
08-04-2023, 11:22 AM
Yes at Punt Rd
Thanks, I tried to Google it. Seems to be starting at the same time as the AFL game

azabob
08-04-2023, 12:03 PM
Thanks, I tried to Google it. Seems to be starting at the same time as the AFL game

I believe it is earlier. Time to see both games.

There is a vfl thread advising the time

Grantysghost
08-04-2023, 12:05 PM
I believe it is earlier. Time to see both games.

There is a vfl thread advising the time

It's at 1.05pm.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1300448/vfl-tigers-name-side-to-face-bulldogs

bornadog
08-04-2023, 12:40 PM

A whole forum on VFL here: https://www.woof.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?32-Footscray-FC-and-Junior-Football

EasternWest
08-04-2023, 04:55 PM
A whole forum on VFL here: https://www.woof.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?32-Footscray-FC-and-Junior-Football

Great work BAD. Now we just need someone to start a contract thread.

bornadog
08-04-2023, 09:58 PM
Great work BAD. Now we just need someone to start a contract thread.

https://media.tenor.com/gOKtl58JMFsAAAAM/laughing-lol.gif

soupman
11-05-2023, 07:14 PM
In this week

comrade
11-05-2023, 07:46 PM
Who? :D

BornInDroopSt'54
11-05-2023, 08:04 PM
Number 18.

angelopetraglia
11-05-2023, 08:08 PM
Number 18.

#18 reminds me of Simon Beasley and Leon Cameron. Just loved watching the Pieman kick bags of goals growing up.

angelopetraglia
11-05-2023, 08:26 PM
Simon O'Donnell is all of us when he heard the news https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1656582415077330945?s=20

jazzadogs
11-05-2023, 08:30 PM
"They do not expect O'Donnell to play immediately and will give him time to adjust to the game."

Bevo: "yeh three weeks should do"

angelopetraglia
11-05-2023, 08:31 PM
"They do not expect O'Donnell to play immediately and will give him time to adjust to the game."

Bevo: "yeh three weeks should do"

Ha. Classic Bevo.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2023, 08:53 PM
JOD VFL Career Prior to Debut:

3 Games (approximately 6 hours of game time, less interchange)
46 Disposals (15.33 av)
20 Marks (6.66 av)
1 Tackle (0.33 av)

EasternWest
11-05-2023, 09:41 PM
Simon O'Donnell is all of us when he heard the news https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1656582415077330945?s=20

That's nice. He seems so proud.

bornadog
11-05-2023, 09:49 PM
Bevo tells him he is in

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1656563074663596032

JanLorMill
11-05-2023, 09:59 PM
Wow and wow again

jazzadogs
11-05-2023, 10:16 PM
Is there any video highlights? I'd love to see how he plays.

FrediKanoute
11-05-2023, 10:45 PM
That's nice. He seems so proud.

He seemed shocked!

EasternWest
11-05-2023, 10:46 PM
He seemed shocked!

Well that too.

divvydan
11-05-2023, 11:06 PM
Is there any video highlights? I'd love to see how he plays.

Very short one posted by AFL twitter account

https://twitter.com/i/status/1656606118293180417

bornadog
11-05-2023, 11:41 PM

Looks like he has a bit of pace. Some good intercepting in those clips

comrade
11-05-2023, 11:45 PM
Obviously can’t take much away from such a short video but looks like he moves well and has good hands. Go well kid.

jeemak
12-05-2023, 12:34 AM

He looks amazing, if I'm honest.

Kicks it quick and flat on the preferred, can use the opposite.

Seems quick of mind. The hit 25 seconds in is something else.

josie
12-05-2023, 01:20 AM
All the best to James. What a story it will be if he plays well.

At 20yo he is a little older than some who debut and having played both cricket and footy, then solely cricket, then returning to footy he is clearly athletically gifted and presumably very focused. Hoping that maturity helps steady the nerves a bit, and if he plays ok that he copes well with the media attention. Slotted into vfl pretty much seamlessly so may surprise us all and do the same in seniors. JJ and other experienced leaders in backline will be crucial as to whether this brave Bevo call will succeed.

GVGjr
12-05-2023, 08:43 AM
For all the science and the focus we place on data and stats footy can still throw forward a good old mystery selection puzzle for all of us to mull over.
We lose one of our gun mids in Treloar and overlook a host of reasonable but somewhat uninspiring replacement options instead opting for a 197cm tall defender who has played very limited football in the last 3 years and only arrived at the club pm the senior list a few weeks back.
To complicate matters just that bit more we already have 3 x 197cm key defenders in the side so we wait in anticipation how Bevo and the MC set up for the game against Carlton.

And now for the player. I saw O'Donnell him when he first arrived at the training at Skinner after being announced as a cat B player.
It was initially to train with a handful of rehab players and the likes of Weightman and Vandermeer more or less took him under their wings and started putting him through his paces with some basic kick, mark and run drills.
I noted on the training thread that he moved well for a bigger boy, held his marks in a one touch style but his kicking had a tendency to look a bit proppy when tested more on the 40mtr range. Plenty to work with though and a few of the track watchers have claimed him as an inspired selection but none of the track watchers predicted this debut game at such and early stage.
Since then he also shadowed Lobb in a training session and has played a few times for Footscray before this surprise announcement.

It's a great news story to see him almost rushed into the side and you can tell on here that we all wish him well but this is where it all gets real for him on Saturday night.

I'd imagine his family and friends are super excited and as nervous as anything and I wonder how JOD feels the morning after the huge announcement? Go well young man and enjoy the experience.

Topdog
12-05-2023, 11:37 AM
He looks amazing, if I'm honest.

Kicks it quick and flat on the preferred, can use the opposite.

Seems quick of mind. The hit 25 seconds in is something else.

Does look really good, love how he is always moving forward too.

Takes a mark and instantly faces the front which helps move the ball on quickly.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-05-2023, 04:21 PM
My friend and I spoke briefly with Simon one day.
He is a big unit to be well coordinated.
I'm excited.
Promising cricketer turns to footy and Bevo gives him close attention and says you are ready.
I can't wait.
197cm
88kg
#18.
We beat Collingwood to get Ed Richards, now St Kilda with James.

angelopetraglia
12-05-2023, 05:12 PM
My friend and I spoke briefly with Simon one day.
He is a big unit to be well coordinated.
I'm excited.
Promising cricketer turns to footy and Bevo gives him close attention and says you are ready.
I can't wait.
197cm
88kg
#18.
We beat Collingwood to get Ed Richards, now St Kilda with James.

Heard Simon interviewed today on SEN. Said it was the most exciting thing to ever happen to him. He was so excited.

angelopetraglia
12-05-2023, 05:26 PM
Jumper presentation. A very emotional Father. Lovely words.

Video Link: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1328185/o-donnell-guernsey-presentation?videoId=1328185&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1683868785001

angelopetraglia
12-05-2023, 05:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv6FUkoakAAjCnw?format=jpg&name=large

westdog54
12-05-2023, 05:50 PM
If you haven't seen any of the videos the club has put out since yesterday, stop what you're doing right now and head to the website/app.

It might mean a little more to Summon than it does to James when you listen to the sound of his voice.

macca
12-05-2023, 06:00 PM
Jumper presentation. A very emotional Father. Lovely words.

Video Link: https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1328185/o-donnell-guernsey-presentation?videoId=1328185&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1683868785001

really nice video and quite touching to see father's love for his son.

I have a good feeling about James O'Donnell.

Its incredible we picked him up instead of st kilda, given his father played for them.

GVGjr
12-05-2023, 06:02 PM
Scoob did well to keep it all together.

westbulldog
12-05-2023, 06:13 PM
If this kid is as good a sportsman as his old man, we look forward to him Naughton, Jamarra, Darcy, Busslinger and Cleary in the team together one day.

jazzadogs
12-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Did Bevo pick him just so he could meet Simon? Haha

Jasper
12-05-2023, 06:50 PM
For all the science and the focus we place on data and stats footy can still throw forward a good old mystery selection puzzle for all of us to mull over.
We lose one of our gun mids in Treloar and overlook a host of reasonable but somewhat uninspiring replacement options instead opting for a 197cm tall defender who has played very limited football in the last 3 years and only arrived at the club pm the senior list a few weeks back.
To complicate matters just that bit more we already have 3 x 197cm key defenders in the side so we wait in anticipation how Bevo and the MC set up for the game against Carlton.

And now for the player. I saw O'Donnell him when he first arrived at the training at Skinner after being announced as a cat B player.
It was initially to train with a handful of rehab players and the likes of Weightman and Vandermeer more or less took him under their wings and started putting him through his paces with some basic kick, mark and run drills.
I noted on the training thread that he moved well for a bigger boy, held his marks in a one touch style but his kicking had a tendency to look a bit proppy when tested more on the 40mtr range. Plenty to work with though and a few of the track watchers have claimed him as an inspired selection but none of the track watchers predicted this debut game at such and early stage.
Since then he also shadowed Lobb in a training session and has played a few times for Footscray before this surprise announcement.

It's a great news story to see him almost rushed into the side and you can tell on here that we all wish him well but this is where it all gets real for him on Saturday night.

I'd imagine his family and friends are super excited and as nervous as anything and I wonder how JOD feels the morning after the huge announcement? Go well young man and enjoy the experience.

Great read and I have had another look at the training reports.
Im getting excited at seeing James on Saturday night.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-05-2023, 07:05 PM
Scoob did well to keep it all together.

Haha.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-05-2023, 07:10 PM
I imagine James as Simon's son, prepared himself for this or cricket from an early age.
Achieving promise in cricket, then switching seemingly dramatically to footy is as dramatic as Bevo & co picking him.
No doubt Bevo senses James' readiness for greatness, purpose and drive.
The eldest son drive is powerful, even more so in a powerful person.
Body size and skill proven.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-05-2023, 07:15 PM
I imagine James as Simon's son, prepared himself for this or cricket from an early age.
Achieving promise in cricket, then switching seemingly dramatically to footy is as dramatic as Bevo & co picking him.
No doubt Bevo senses James' readiness for greatness, purposeand drive.
Body size and skill presumed.
Averaging six marks a game with a taste for the contest.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-05-2023, 07:18 PM
No doubt Bevo senses James' readiness for greatness, purposeand drive.
Averaging six marks a game with a taste for the contest, hmmm reminds me of early reports of Naughton and he will grow and bulk up.

HOSE B ROMERO
12-05-2023, 07:41 PM
Number 18.

Trent Bartlett?

Grantysghost
12-05-2023, 08:04 PM
i imagine james as simon's son, prepared himself for this or cricket from an early age.
Achieving promise in cricket, then switching seemingly dramatically to footy is as dramatic as bevo & co picking him.
No doubt bevo senses james' readiness for greatness, purposeand drive.
Averaging six marks a game with a taste for the contest, hmmm reminds me of early reports of naughton and he will grow and bulk up.

x 3!

Grantysghost
12-05-2023, 08:04 PM
Did Bevo pick him just so he could meet Simon? Haha

Did he go to St.Bede's?

bornadog
12-05-2023, 08:07 PM
Trent Bartlett?

Beasley

D Mitchell
12-05-2023, 09:20 PM
That rule is there to be exploited and I am glad we did

I wish we would recruit from Ireland also.
Ed Richards is from a famous Collingwood family who we valued higher than the resource rich club.
Now O'Donnel from Saints sitting on top of ladder.
It apeases me that we can be a destination club apart from Treloar being shown the door.
O'Donnel chose FFC rather than his families club deliberately with due consideration it seems.

O'DonnelL It didn't end well with Bernie Collins. James is the second O'Donnell to have played for our Club, Vincent Roy O'Donnell played 7 games in 1930. James might well be a descendant of the legendary Hugh Roe (Red) O'Donnell, High King. Legend has it that Red Hugh smote and dispatched 22 Kings Men of Carl Town in 1461, a mere 562 years ago.

Eastdog
12-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Good luck to James. Hope he has a great debut. Will see how he goes.

SonofScray
13-05-2023, 01:08 AM
His selection is quite surreal.

I note Bevo bristled at the commentary about him only being around for 35 days, and fair enough too given the association and support extends beyond that, but from our perspective as fans this is a real bolter.

Feels like one of Disney films, like The Rookie or Invincible. Or an old fashioned footy story where a club plucks a relative unknown from the country and they (potentially in our case) star.

Wish JOD well, he’s certainly added some interest to this weekend, no doubt there. Can’t expect too much from him, but a good showing really gets folk up and about I suspect.

Scorlibo
13-05-2023, 09:42 AM
Having watched two out of the three VFL games he's played, I've been very impressed with how involved he's been. A guy with his background you'd expect that maybe he manages to get his hands on it just a few times to begin with, chipping it around in the backline. Yet he's managed to have a real impact, including with intercept possessions and not being afraid to demand the ball when in space.

His selection is a shock, no doubt, but maybe he'll surprise at the next level as well? The mere selection excites me because it implies that the coaching group are liking what they see behind closed doors.

I think Liam Jones has been just okay so far this year, but his supreme athleticism to be first to the ball or close down space is a huge asset for a defensive unit, and I could see how O'Donnell could offer the same ability in time.

Best of luck Jimbo!

EasternWest
13-05-2023, 10:06 AM
O'DonnelL It didn't end well with Bernie Collins. James is the second O'Donnell to have played for our Club, Vincent Roy O'Donnell played 7 games in 1930. James might well be a descendant of the legendary Hugh Roe (Red) O'Donnell, High King. Legend has it that Red Hugh smote and dispatched 22 Kings Men of Carl Town in 1461, a mere 562 years ago.

Subscribe.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-05-2023, 08:10 PM

Mate we gotta talk turkey together. Me 80% Irish by blood, irish catholic marrying irish catholic from early settlers to me.
A Ned Kelly expert student :)
At eight I was one of nine irish scouts in australia and they sent me gaelic comics. The fing Orange William and the Battle of the Boyne, the Scottish fing Plantation....
The fing British %?#&+!@ genocide of irish and aboriginal culture, irish first %?#&+!@ !

macca
13-05-2023, 08:14 PM
Maybe football talent skips a generation ? So remaining on the postive theme, i hope this young james inherited the class footballer gene

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2023, 08:19 PM
I really want this to be an inspired selection.
Go well James.

bornadog
13-05-2023, 08:25 PM
I really want this to be an inspired selection.
Go well James.

Bevo really puts alot of faith in to young players

BornInDroopSt'54
13-05-2023, 10:25 PM
Another leftie so that's why.

D Mitchell
14-05-2023, 02:37 PM
Mate we gotta talk turkey together. Me 80% Irish by blood, irish catholic marrying irish catholic from early settlers to me.
A Ned Kelly expert student :)
At eight I was one of nine irish scouts in australia and they sent me gaelic comics. The fing Orange William and the Battle of the Boyne, the Scottish fing Plantation....
The fing British %?#&+!@ genocide of irish and aboriginal culture, irish first %?#&+!@ !

That's an impressive CV. The lad's real name is Seamus O'Domhnaill but let's not tell anyone else. Ned was my father's hero, dad talked about Ned's bushcraft and toughness rather than persecution by the Victoria Police and he had no idea about the Republic of North-East Victoria theory, surprised when I told him about it. If Ireland-Britain relations are of interest, look up Fintan O'Toole's lectures on youtube. I didn't quite get the 9 Irish scout bit, did you, an x th gen Australian, read Gaelic at 8 years old ? If so that's really impressive.

D Mitchell
14-05-2023, 02:47 PM
Maybe football talent skips a generation ? So remaining on the postive theme, i hope this young james inherited the class footballer gene

Kevin O'Donnell. Well spotted. Had Simon not decided to go on with cricket, who knows.

PS I thought about your knowledge of Kevin, went to wikipedia, there's already a reference to James' game last night !

Hotdog60
14-05-2023, 04:23 PM
He would make a handy sub at this early stage can go back or forward maybe wing or centre.
Doesn't play a whole game unless of an early injury so it helps his tank and get some exposure for the future.
He'll most likely go back to VFL next week if Treloar is back but if not swap him and McNeil around.

AshMac
14-05-2023, 08:22 PM
I like what I saw tbh. Didn?t think he?d ever break out game one but he is a great size, looks to move well, got near it with a couple of almost moments and the few times he got it he didn?t cough it up.

Would I have brought him in when we have others playing VFL, probably not, but I don?t watch any VFL

Hotdog60
01-07-2023, 10:10 AM
From whites to red, white and blue: Joke sparks new Dog's rise

James O'Donnell's plans were to take cricket to the next level, but all that changed with an off-hand remark

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/30/c08daac7-9ea0-4281-8032-be55d0111f79/09CaWB23MW4634.jpg?width=1064&height=600

THIS wasn't the plan for James O'Donnell this year. Before Christmas, when the Victorian wasn't training or playing for Essendon Cricket Club, he was sitting behind a desk working as a junior analyst at CitiPower three days a week, spending the other two days in business classes at Monash University.

The 20-year-old had a plan for 2023. At least, he thought he did. It involved cementing a spot at Premier Cricket level and taking the next step with his bowling. It also involved ticking off more subjects and advancing his professional career. But sometimes the best-laid plans can be changed for the better.

After making his debut 35 days after joining with the Western Bulldogs as a Category B rookie in April, O'Donnell has now played five games for the club and will add a sixth to his tally when he returns to face Fremantle at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

So how did a boyhood dream become a reality? How does someone who hadn't played a game of football since his final game for Xavier College in Year 11 end up landing a spot at the Whitten Oval?

It turns out a flippant t?te-?-t?te in the nets between O'Donnell and his new bowling coach at Essendon Cricket Club quickly turned into more. Much more. When the bowling coach is also the Western Bulldogs' fitness boss, Mat Inness, things move fast. Very fast.

O'Donnell played for Victoria at under-12 level and was a decent schoolboy footballer until Year 9 when everyone became bigger and stronger than him. He then started focusing on cricket more seriously, but after a growth spurt in his late teens, footy was always an itch that had to be scratched if an opportunity presented.

This was that opportunity. Inness, who was a first-class cricketer for Victoria and Western Australia before transitioning into a career in high performance, introduced O’Donnell to Footscray VFL coach Stewart Edge and they caught up for a coffee and a kick.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/30/1038c83b-fd98-455e-b687-d55fb228ef22/12WBGe23MW3681.jpg?width=1064&height=600

When Western Bulldogs list manager Sam Power did his due diligence, the club realised they could use the same mechanism Geelong used to sign Mark Blicavs while he chased qualification for the 2012 Olympic Games, the same lever Collingwood pulled to add Mason Cox as a project player back in 2014.

"I started pre-season at Essendon ahead of what was going to be my second full year at Essendon. That was my third winter not playing and I was kicking the footy every other day and missing it a lot. The itch just started to build and I knew I could do it. I didn't know the level I could play and I wanted to find out if I could do it," O'Donnell told AFL.com.au at the Whitten Oval this week.

"Mat Inness was just starting as bowling coach at the Bombers and he was one guy I just started chewing his ear off. I was bowling and I joked to him: 'Do you need a utility in the VFL next year?' Then he asked if I was serious. Deep down it was what I wanted to do. He was only half-serious.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/05/20/7780743a-ef54-49ad-a18e-ac5b916541ae/v5kUCZNS.jpg?width=1064&height=600

"All I wanted to do was try out at VFL because that would be a fast way to find out if I was good enough or not. I thought if I tested myself against those blokes and it didn't work out, I would not have any regrets at 25. Mat put me in touch with Stewart Edge and we went for a coffee. He asked me how long it had been since I played. When he realised it was three years, he came back to me and said, 'Don't worry about the VFL, have a crack at this'. The rest is history."

To be eligible to join an AFL club via the Category B rookie list rule, O'Donnell couldn't have been registered in an Australian Football competition for a minimum of three years. He couldn't train with the Western Bulldogs over the pre-season, but he could train with Footscray. That's what he did from late January until April, watching Beveridge's squad from over the fence at Skinner Reserve on Friday mornings in the pre-season, hoping he would join that program, not daring to imagine he would be playing for them in the months ahead.

But after making his debut for Footscray against Southport in April and playing the next fortnight against Carlton and Greater Western Sydney reserves, the match committee inside the Whitten Oval produced arguably the boldest selection of the season to date when they picked O'Donnell to debut against the Blues in round nine.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/30/9372d496-d91a-48bd-bb9f-3985790f8f35/VFL05FoSS23DT838749595.JPG?width=1064&height=600

"I haven't really had time to reflect on it because it has gone quick, even you play a game and then you're onto the next week. I don't think it will sink in until the end of the season, but in terms of how my life has changed, it has completely flipped on its head. I have always wanted this, I've always wanted to be a professional sportsman," O'Donnell said an hour after being told he would return to help fill some of the holes in the Bulldogs' backline this weekend.

Everything has happened far more swiftly than O'Donnell envisaged. The contract. The debut. The games. Beveridge has been a believer from the start, and it is that ongoing conviction shown by the senior coach and the rest of the coaching department that has allowed him to navigate the meteoric leap from nowhere to the big time.

"I've received great faith from 'Bevo' and the coaching staff. I don't take that for granted. I'm very grateful for that, and in some ways I get confidence out of it," he said. "Although it's happened quick, they haven't chosen me to play because it’s a cool story. I just think I try my arse off and try to be the best I can be. Whether that's resonated with them to put that faith in me, that’s pretty amazing."

Football and cricket courses through O'Donnell's veins. James is the son of former Australian cricketer and St Kilda forward Simon, who has been a popular voice in the sports media landscape for more than two decades. He is also the grandson of Kevin, who played 49 times for the Saints in the 1940s before returning to Deniliquin where he continued to play both sports until he couldn’t any longer.

"I was never able to meet Pa, unfortunately. I was born in 2002 and he died just before I was born. But I learnt a lot about him, not only as a sportsman but a person and my dad is very similar to him. Dad is my idol, he is someone I look up to so much. He is having as much fun as I am right now. I can see that. He is also someone I can lean on, and I always have," O'Donnell said.

"In terms of that lineage, it is cool to have that link. My pa wore 18 for St Kilda and that gives me an extra link to the number. Obviously the name comes with a little bit of pressure, but dad never put that pressure on me. He would never force anything. He would wait for me to ask questions. I'd be lying if I said it wasn’t a burden at times; you want to live up to your old man. But I am my own biggest critic in many ways, so I put the pressure on myself more than what my name puts pressure on me."

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/06/30/52d5175c-4a00-412e-9b5a-7e0f1f2065d7/simon-odonnell.jpg?width=1064&height=600

The dream is the same that it was this time last year, only the sport has changed. O'Donnell has always wanted to be a professional sportsman, he just thought he'd be wearing whites and standing in the field for hours on end, not wearing the red, white and blue and playing a role – in defence, attack and on a wing – in a side hunting a spot in September.

"Growing up the dream was always footy or cricket. Now to have this opportunity, and knowing what it was like to work, play sport and do uni at the same time – and all you wanted to do was get to the position I’m in now – I'll never take anything for grated," he said.

"I love it so much and want to get the most out of myself and reach my fullest potential. I would love to have as long a career as I can and make the most out of this crazy opportunity that I've been given."

Crazy is the right word. O’Donnell’s life has been crazy from the moment he floated the idea to Inness. And it is only going to get crazier if he continues along this trajectory.

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/news/958907/from-whites-to-red-white-and-blue-joke-sparks-new-dog-s-rise)

EasternWest
01-07-2023, 10:40 AM
It's a good article. He seems a good kid. I'm bullish about his future.

Grantysghost
01-07-2023, 11:03 AM
Small world.

Well done Matt Innes!

GVGjr
01-07-2023, 11:08 AM
It's a good article. He seems a good kid. I'm bullish about his future.

We haven't used him in the right way so far but he just seems ultra professional and that sort of intelligent youngster who will just figure out how to succeed.

GVGjr
01-07-2023, 11:11 AM
Small world.

Well done Matt Innes!

It proves there are many different avenues to the AFL and our recruiting network has done well.

EasternWest
01-07-2023, 12:18 PM
We haven't used him in the right way so far but he just seems ultra professional and that sort of intelligent youngster who will just figure out how to succeed.

I get Dosh Junkley vibes without the weird vapidity.

GVGjr
01-07-2023, 01:10 PM
I get Dosh Junkley vibes without the weird vapidity.

Nice comparison. A better balance.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-07-2023, 06:03 PM
apart from one errant pass, that led to a Freo goal, I thought he showed some real good signs today. Very athletic, almost a bigger version of Easton Wood.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2023, 06:06 PM
apart from one errant pass, that led to a Freo goal, I thought he showed some real good signs today. Very athletic, almost a bigger version of Easton Wood.

Might be a heck of a player in the coming years. Some nice signs today, but very raw. Better defender than forward that is no doubt.

hujsh
01-07-2023, 06:09 PM

He'll be great in the Carlton backline in 4-5 years

GVGjr
01-07-2023, 06:27 PM
Played him a position better suited to his skill set and development. He's still got a long way to go but a few positives today.

EasternWest
01-07-2023, 07:45 PM

Ruck you mean

josie
01-07-2023, 07:51 PM

You’re in the Sin Bin Hujsh.

Dry Rot
01-07-2023, 08:17 PM
We haven't used him in the right way so far

How would you use him?

GVGjr
01-07-2023, 08:19 PM
How would you use him?

As a defender, he's not an instinctive forward at this stage.

whythelongface
01-07-2023, 08:53 PM
Really liked his game today. Got to the contest and was took a nice mark as well as spoiling a couple of times. Before today I had my doubts but can see why he is worth the investment

jazzadogs
01-07-2023, 09:01 PM
The weirdest thing about his initial selection for the AFL team was the role we played him in. And there was plenty of 'weird' about the selection in general.

I thought he played well in the bits I saw. I saw Gardner on Amiss, and looked like JOD was mostly on Treacy? Or Jackson?

G-Mo77
01-07-2023, 09:33 PM
The weirdest thing about his initial selection for the AFL team was the role we played him in. And there was plenty of 'weird' about the selection in general.

I thought he played well in the bits I saw. I saw Gardner on Amiss, and looked like JOD was mostly on Treacy? Or Jackson?

Pretty sure it was Treacy but I didn't watch it all. Missed the 2nd and some of the 3rd

bornadog
01-07-2023, 09:37 PM
First time I saw James live and I was impressed with the inexperienced young player. HE has a great build for a footballer and moves really well. Took a couple of very good marks and is still learning the game.

GVGjr
01-07-2023, 09:44 PM

Keath was mostly pitted against Jackson but occasionally Gardner matched up on Jackson.

jeemak
02-07-2023, 10:06 PM
Something I've been thinking about is - would we view JOD's introduction into senior footy differently if he was a first year and first round draft pick?

Would allowing someone of that profile to get a taste early in their careers be more palatable?

GVGjr
02-07-2023, 10:24 PM
Something I've been thinking about is - would we view JOD's introduction into senior footy differently if he was a first year and first round draft pick?

Would allowing someone of that profile to get a taste early in their careers be more palatable?

I'd probably have a higher expectation on him if he were a first round draft pick but not if we were playing him out of position like we have been doing. I was happy enough with his performance yesterday.
It might get interesting comparison to see how Busslinger performs if he gets a game or two.

jeemak
02-07-2023, 11:36 PM
I'd probably have a higher expectation on him if he were a first round draft pick but not if we were playing him out of position like we have been doing. I was happy enough with his performance yesterday.
It might get interesting comparison to see how Busslinger performs if he gets a game or two.

It's more about just getting the guy some experience, in that if we chose to play a first rounder in different spots I reckon everyone would be OK with it.

Because JOD is a Cat B I think it's skewed our perspective and we forget he's a relatively mature body for someone who's been in the system a short time.

ledge
03-07-2023, 09:38 PM
I am impressed he has huge upside . Let’s face it , no preseason, wouldn’t know how each player plays. Probably had to introduce himself to the team first senior game .
His marking and reading of the play yesterday says to me his confidence is building and just one preseason will be massive for him.
I see him as a great intercept mark and looks good on the ground as well.
I would say the club sees huge upside in him and I think yesterday showed some of it .

EasternWest
03-07-2023, 10:16 PM
I am impressed he has huge upside . Let’s face it , no preseason, wouldn’t know how each player plays. Probably had to introduce himself to the team first senior game .
His marking and reading of the play yesterday says to me his confidence is building and just one preseason will be massive for him.
I would say the club sees huge upside in him and I think yesterday showed some of it .

Agree with this ledge the kid will be ok.

Grantysghost
03-07-2023, 10:23 PM

He's a gun. We've hit thy jackpot.

Before I Die
03-07-2023, 10:44 PM

The answer is clearly yes. Just look at the situation last year with Darcy. I think the club views him in a similar light to Darcy. It?s also worth noting that he did a pre-season with Footscray before we selected him, because we knew we were going to select him, so his preparation fitness wise and game structure wise prior to his first senior game pretty much matched that of a first year draftee.

1eyedog
04-07-2023, 01:04 AM
Still a long way away. So is Darcy but I'd rather get him back in the team at JOD's expense ASAP.

D Mitchell
04-07-2023, 07:48 AM
I read somewhere that O’Donnell hadn’t played footy sine year 11. That’s a helluva jump. Good wins paper over errors in performances but I was impressed by his persistence at ground level and that kick to Bont was a beauty.

Bulldog Joe
04-07-2023, 07:48 AM
Still a long way away. So is Darcy but I'd rather get him back in the team at JOD's expense ASAP.

Darcy and O'Donnell do have different strengths.

I like how JOD has the closing speed to get to a contest. I see him as a better actual defender.

If Darcy plays in the back half he is exposed for that lack of speed and is a pure interceptor.

Darcy will be ruck/forward when his body develops.

Grantysghost
04-07-2023, 08:59 AM
Darcy and O'Donnell do have different strengths.

I like how JOD has the closing speed to get to a contest. I see him as a better actual defender.

If Darcy plays in the back half he is exposed for that lack of speed and is a pure interceptor.

Darcy will be ruck/forward when his body develops.

Yes agree Darcy will be Lobb when he retires.

I see JOD as that 3rd tall defender, with the ability to play tall or small.

GVGjr
04-07-2023, 09:07 AM

It could happen, would you play Darcy as a defender?

G-Mo77
04-07-2023, 09:20 AM
It could happen, would you play Darcy as a defender?

I would, when he's ready of course. He's missed a lot of time this season.

GVGjr
04-07-2023, 09:22 AM
I read somewhere that O’Donnell hadn’t played footy sine year 11. That’s a helluva jump. Good wins paper over errors in performances but I was impressed by his persistence at ground level and that kick to Bont was a beauty.

His rise into senior football so quickly is from my perspective unparalleled or at the least very rare.
Sure we've seen players from Ireland come in and perform quickly but while I'm sure someone will pull up other examples this isn't a common occurrence.
It probably doesn't hurt to have a coach like Bevo that hasn't just done one or two token efforts and has been prepared to give an extended run.

Go_Dogs
04-07-2023, 10:02 AM
Thought JOD showed some good flashes. He’s got the benefit of having all the athletic tools to make it and seems like he’s got a very strong work ethic and is a natural sportsman. Quietly optimistic.

Sedat
04-07-2023, 10:21 AM
If JOD was drafted under traditional circumstances as an 18yo in the National Draft, there wouldn't be anywhere near the same blow-back on fast-tracking his development with some games in the seniors. Not sure what the difference is as a 20yo drafted under non-traditional means - we are clearly investing in a future asset and trying to accelerate his development, as we see that he has elite traits/size/flexibility that are in short supply on the list. The only comparable type of player might be Khamis, who would rightly feel a little miffed at being overlooked in favour of JOD. But we're talking about the 22nd-23rd player selected in the senior team.

G-Mo77
04-07-2023, 12:03 PM
If JOD was drafted under traditional circumstances as an 18yo in the National Draft, there wouldn't be anywhere near the same blow-back on fast-tracking his development with some games in the seniors. Not sure what the difference is as a 20yo drafted under non-traditional means - we are clearly investing in a future asset and trying to accelerate his development, as we see that he has elite traits/size/flexibility that are in short supply on the list. The only comparable type of player might be Khamis, who would rightly feel a little miffed at being overlooked in favour of JOD. But we're talking about the 22nd-23rd player selected in the senior team.

In this situation I think the player has been caught in the crossfire from the frustrations of Beveridge's selections. If he was drafted in the traditional sense I doubt that he would have been called up for his first run of games. The inconsistencies with the selections under Bevo have plagued this club for years, supporters are frustrated and then players like JOD, like Hannan, McComb etc get caught up in it all. I questioned the decision to bring him back so quickly when others couldn't get a look. I would have liked to have seen Khamis given a shot at this role but it appears his papers are stamped already.

Anyway, hopefully our coach can settle JOD in this role and stick him there.Let's hope we can develop him further and becomes a reliable part of the back 6 and we don't have to rely on the likes of TOB again.

bornadog
06-08-2023, 02:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnWDupmBvZY

Before I Die
06-08-2023, 03:22 PM
I hope what we saw on Friday puts an end to the criticism of JOD and even more so to the criticism of the MC for selecting him. He has a skill set that exceeds that of any of our other KPD options. I’m not including Busslinger in this as he hasn’t yet had a chance to show his full skill set. He has size, pace, agility, overhead strength and kicking skills. I’d suggest his selection into the state U12 team indicates he also has footballing smarts, though I accept that is not definitive. I may be corrected by those who watch the VFL games closer than me, but I believe he was our best, or one of our best defenders in every game he played at that level. He is far from the finished product but I think we should be very excited about just how good he could become.

Naughton, Marra, English, Darcy, Busslinger, JOD and Croft. All Doggies supporters should be drooling over that list of young talls.

MrMahatma
06-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Like it when he kicks.

EasternWest
06-08-2023, 03:36 PM
I hope what we saw on Friday puts an end to the criticism of JOD and even more so to the criticism of the MC for selecting him. He has a skill set that exceeds that of any of our other KPD options. I’m not including Busslinger in this as he hasn’t yet had a chance to show his full skill set. He has size, pace, agility, overhead strength and kicking skills. I’d suggest his selection into the state U12 team indicates he also has footballing smarts, though I accept that is not definitive. I may be corrected by those who watch the VFL games closer than me, but I believe he was our best, or one of our best defenders in every game he played at that level. He is far from the finished product but I think we should be very excited about just how good he could become.

Naughton, Marra, English, Darcy, Busslinger, JOD and Croft. All Doggies supporters should be drooling over that list of young talls.

I think you're right and you're wrong - the early insistence on persisting with JOD was wrong (although the consensus was definitely that he had something about him) but against the Tigers he looked almost ready to go.

Really has something to be excited about.

GVGjr
06-08-2023, 04:07 PM

I agree with a lot of what you have shared but the MC deserved a kick where it hurts for playing him forward for an extended period when he was clearly struggling. He's a more natural defender at this stage and if we want him to thrive then that's where we need to play him.

I was talking with one of the players sponsors on Friday who's very bullish on JOD but also cautioned that we might see another version of Lewis Young in that we have a player come in and perform well as a defender in his first year but then might struggle to hold his spot his spot in year 2 before getting shuffled around a bit.
It could be an overreaction but something I'll look forward to monitoring and seeing how he goes next year.
JOD is an incredible story and lets hope he becomes a 200 game player for us.

EasternWest
06-08-2023, 04:21 PM
I agree with a lot of what you have shared but the MC deserved a kick where it hurts for playing him forward for an extended period when he was clearly struggling. He's a more natural defender at this stage and if we want him to thrive then that's where we need to play him.

I was talking with one of the players sponsors on Friday who's very bullish on JOD but also cautioned that we might see another version of Lewis Young in that we have a player come in and perform well as a defender in his first year but then might struggle to hold his spot his spot in year 2 before getting shuffled around a bit.
It could be an overreaction but something I'll look forward to monitoring and seeing how he goes next year.
JOD is an incredible story and lets hope he becomes a 200 game player for us.

Can't see the Young comparison at all. JOD has already displayed far more will and aggro that Young ever did.

bornadog
06-08-2023, 05:53 PM
- the early insistence on persisting with JOD was wrong .

We gave JUH games when he probably didn't show he should have - just beacuse he was first pick. Sometimes you just have to develop these kids.

jazzadogs
06-08-2023, 07:14 PM
I agree with others - the issue with JOD's early run of games was not that he got picked, but that he got picked in a role he was not prepared for. He has looked good in defence.

jeemak
06-08-2023, 08:39 PM
Would he be better today if he had have been picked in the twos and played defence rather than the ones up forward, or is he better off having had a taste at the level in any role?

I go with the latter. We put way too much weight on this stuff when the idea is about getting someone out there and giving them a go at the level. Tall talented players get more opportunities, it's just how it is.

Grantysghost
06-08-2023, 09:46 PM
Would he be better today if he had have been picked in the twos and played defence rather than the ones up forward, or is he better off having had a taste at the level in any role?

I go with the latter. We put way too much weight on this stuff when the idea is about getting someone out there and giving them a go at the level. Tall talented players get more opportunities, it's just how it is.

Yep you could see he had something from the first VFL game, I'm pretty happy our coaches saw it too.

In all seriousness where would he go in the next draft? I'm thinking he's a top 20.

Before I Die
06-08-2023, 11:17 PM
Can't see the Young comparison at all. JOD has already displayed far more will and aggro that Young ever did.

I agree, plus Young’s biggest weakness was, and still is, indecision when he had the ball made even worse by poor disposal skills. Whereas JOD showed excellent decision making and disposal skills on Friday. It is, however, early days, but there are certainly grounds for excitement.

jeemak
06-08-2023, 11:50 PM
I agree, plus Young’s biggest weakness was, and still is, indecision when he had the ball made even worse by poor disposal skills. Whereas JOD showed excellent decision making and disposal skills on Friday. It is, however, early days, but there are certainly grounds for excitement.

While you can't listen to MJP most of the time due to his inexperience and wackiness in general, the ONE ( :) ) thing he has gotten right is the mantra that whoever you trade in and out, usually plays at least in a similar way if not in the same way they played at their original/ former club.

Carlton have jerried onto Young's weaknesses and have moved him out of their structure. We basically did the same with Lobb and gave him a whack, and Baker is fringe with us like he was with Melbourne.

hujsh
06-08-2023, 11:50 PM
While you can't listen to MJP most of the time due to his inexperience and wackiness in general, the ONE ( :) ) thing he has gotten right is the mantra that whoever you trade in and out, usually plays at least in a similar way if not in the same way they played at their original/ former club.
Broken clock and all that

azabob
07-08-2023, 08:51 AM

Carlton have jerried onto Young's weaknesses and have moved him out of their structure. We basically did the same with Lobb and gave him a whack, and Baker is fringe with us like he was with Melbourne.

Pies supporters also coming for Lipinski.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Pies supporters also coming for Lipinski.

What’s their gripe/s? I thought they loved him.

azabob
07-08-2023, 09:28 AM
What’s their gripe/s? I thought they loved him.

Not this year. To be fair to Lipiniski he has had injuries this year.

Their gripes are his intensity and sometimes contested work. So kinda the same gripes we had...

bornadog
07-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Not this year. To be fair to Lipiniski he has had injuries this year.

Their gripes are his intensity and sometimes contested work. So kinda the same gripes we had...

We used pick 43 on Art Jones - are we better off?

azabob
07-08-2023, 10:25 AM

I don't think we are worse off.

It is a mute discussion point as people forget Lipiniski chose to leave our club. We wanted to keep him.

Grantysghost
07-08-2023, 10:51 AM

It's too early to tell.

GVGjr
07-08-2023, 10:54 AM
I don't think we are worse off.

It is a mute discussion point as people forget Lipiniski chose to leave our club. We wanted to keep him.

The devil might be in the detail here. Yes we made offers to the likes of Lipinski and Young etc but given we weren't really playing them in their most productive positions or playing them regularly so those offers might be best described as token.
Clearly other clubs saw them in a different light and their sales pitch was more compelling.

Our identification and introduction into the seniors with O'Donnell shows there are some very talented players with AFL level athletic traits but there will likely be some bumps along the way and how the player and club manages those moments will tell the story.
It's still very early in his development but some very positive signs.

azabob
07-08-2023, 10:59 AM
The devil might be in the detail here. Yes we made offers to the likes of Lipinski and Young etc but given we weren't really playing them in their most productive positions or playing them regularly so those offers might be best described as token.
Clearly other clubs saw them in a different light and their sales pitch was more compelling.

Our identification and introduction into the seniors with O'Donnell shows there are some very talented players with AFL level athletic traits but there will likely be some bumps along the way and how the player and club manages those moments will tell the story.
It's still very early in his development but some very positive signs.

Yes, 100% the devil is in the detail. But at the time the club was right; Lipinski was way down the pecking order and you cannot blame him for leaving.

My main point was we didn't actively shop Lipinski and comparing him to Arthur Jones is a mute point.

GVGjr
07-08-2023, 11:05 AM
Yes, 100% the devil is in the detail. But at the time the club was right; Lipinski was way down the pecking order and you cannot blame him for leaving.

My main point was we didn't actively shop Lipinski and comparing him to Arthur Jones is a mute point.

I agree.
The comparisons many focus on regarding the pick received and the player selected with it more than often doesn't make a sense unless the pick received and used is perhaps a first rounder.

MrMahatma
07-08-2023, 11:14 AM

Moot point.

No probs. Here to help.

bornadog
07-08-2023, 12:27 PM

Who is comparing him? That is not the point I was making. We exchanged pick 43 we got for Lippa and brought in Arty? It is too early to call, but at this stage, I am happy with that.

Lippa would never play midfield with the likes of Bont, Libba, Treloar, Macrae, Smith and even Caleb ahead of him. So where would he play?

jeemak
07-08-2023, 12:47 PM
On the wing and complaining about being asked to work on his pace.

Pedro Sanchez
07-08-2023, 03:06 PM
JOD has natural intensity and a thirst for the contest. You cant teach that. And he appears to have some clever skills and talent to.

Young on the other hand never had the former with us. What he did well is take a nice gliding mark across a pack as third man up.

Like what we're starting to see from JOD. He's a player in the making.

jazzadogs
08-08-2023, 12:07 AM

No doubt he is better off, but 3 of his first 5 games were the losses to Gold Coast, Geelong and Port with minimal contribution from him in a crap role. Was the team better off for having him as a decoy forward in those games?

I'm really excited by his potential but I'm still pretty comfortable that the MC got his early selections wrong.

1eyedog
08-08-2023, 07:57 AM
No doubt he is better off, but 3 of his first 5 games were the losses to Gold Coast, Geelong and Port with minimal contribution from him in a crap role. Was the team better off for having him as a decoy forward in those games?

I'm really excited by his potential but I'm still pretty comfortable that the MC got his early selections wrong.

Doesn't make sense to me. We wouldn't be where we're at with him if they didn't select him and maybe he progresses in the VFL and we unearth a nugget or maybe he just stagnates there.

I think West is another who responds at the senior level and I'm not sure why he isn't given an extended run in the firsts. He seems to be able to do smart things that other players can't and sometimes players like these two respond best in high pressure high intensity environments.

I was a doubter and not a fan of JOD's selection but it could turn out to be an inspired decision by the MC and I'm certain Bevo should get some credit for this as well.

Topdog
08-08-2023, 09:24 AM
Doesn't make sense to me. We wouldn't be where we're at with him if they didn't select him and maybe he progresses in the VFL and we unearth a nugget or maybe he just stagnates there.

I think West is another who responds at the senior level and I'm not sure why he isn't given an extended run in the firsts. He seems to be able to do smart things that other players can't and sometimes players like these two respond best in high pressure high intensity environments.

I was a doubter and not a fan of JOD's selection but it could turn out to be an inspired decision by the MC and I'm certain Bevo should get some credit for this as well.

But we could and should have played him in defence where we were short of players instead of him being lost in attack

soupman
08-08-2023, 11:29 AM
Yeah JOD looks good and there is maybe the tinyiest argument that playing him in a nothing role for 3-5 games where he was basically a non-factor in close losses and was being hidden as much as possible until it was late enough to sub him out without humiliating him was beneficial to his development, butI don't think it is a good argument.

Any credit the MC gets through his selection in those weeks is almost entirely attributable to luck rather than design.

I think it's no coincidence that his best week thus far (and first time he has actually contributed) has been when he has played in a role where we actually want him to do stuff, and I am completely unconvinced he would've been worse off having spent an extra 5 weeks in the VFL practicing that very role.

1eyedog
08-08-2023, 01:55 PM
But we could and should have played him in defence where we were short of players instead of him being lost in attack

100% agree. Beauty for us now is that it doesn't matter how we got here with him, we're here.

EasternWest
08-08-2023, 03:02 PM
Yeah JOD looks good and there is maybe the tinyiest argument that playing him in a nothing role for 3-5 games where he was basically a non-factor in close losses and was being hidden as much as possible until it was late enough to sub him out without humiliating him was beneficial to his development, butI don't think it is a good argument.

Any credit the MC gets through his selection in those weeks is almost entirely attributable to luck rather than design.

I think it's no coincidence that his best week thus far (and first time he has actually contributed) has been when he has played in a role where we actually want him to do stuff, and I am completely unconvinced he would've been worse off having spent an extra 5 weeks in the VFL practicing that very role.

100% correct

jeemak
08-08-2023, 03:36 PM

I honestly have no idea how you can be so definitive about it.

Would someone else playing as the 22-23 player on the list have made any difference in those games we lost? Maybe, but probably not.

Do young players get humiliated by having quiet games in positions unfamiliar to them at the start of their careers, or do they get humiliated by getting smacked in their natural positions under high pressure? Honestly I don't know, but I can see a case for the latter just as much as the former. Also throwing someone who's barely been at the club for a couple of months deep into our defensive set up probably carries some risk.

The amount of handwringing over a few games giving someone a taste at the level has me really surprised. Young players just want to play and any opportunity is better than none, unless they're genuinely not ready physically or mentally.

AshMac
08-08-2023, 08:43 PM
I really liked what I saw on Friday. O'Donnell looks like a kid who is calm under pressure, makes good decisions and has a confidence to back himself regardless of the opposition around him. Couple that with what looks like supreme athleticism and i can see why the MC has persisted with him. I think he is the real deal. Play him as a third tall for the next 12-24 months and let him grow in every aspect of the game. You cant teach what he has, but you can teach the polish on top of it.

D Mitchell
08-08-2023, 09:11 PM
The son of anyone who scores a century in his first knock at Lords gets his foot in the door in what ever sport. From our point of view, James may well end up a godsend of Bont equivalence but, at the expense of representing Australia. This may end up a touch more complicated that we'd thought.

Grantysghost
16-08-2023, 04:32 PM
Re-signed for 2 years

bornadog
16-08-2023, 04:35 PM
Re-signed for 2 years

Is he still classified as a category B?

Grantysghost
16-08-2023, 04:37 PM

Erm... I need someone with a brain to work that out.

EasternWest
16-08-2023, 04:53 PM
If only there was a comprehensive compendium of this information that we could refer to for such answers.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2023, 04:54 PM

He can stay as a Cat B rookie for 3 years. With his permission. Assuming he cares about our list and ability to have an extra player on it (while he stays Cat B), I assume he agreed to that. Or I hope he has.

azabob
16-08-2023, 04:58 PM
If only there was a comprehensive compendium of this information that we could refer to for such answers.

The owner of the compendium has gone MIA...

azabob
16-08-2023, 05:00 PM
He can stay as a Cat B rookie for 3 years. With his permission. Assuming he cares about our list and ability to have an extra player on it (while he stays Cat B), I assume he agreed to that. Or I hope he has.

The article does not advise us either way.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1406616/o-donnell-signs-for-two-seasons

James O’Donnell will remain in the red, white and blue for the next two seasons after re-signing with the Club until at least the end of 2025.

The Category B Rookie has endured a wild ride in his first season at the Kennel, drafted in April before making his debut 35 days after joining the Club.

The 20-year-old has since played 10 games, spending the large majority in defence playing important roles on dangerous opposition forwards.

O’Donnell is a third generation VFL/AFL player, following grandfather Kevin and Father Simon representing St Kilda during the 1940s and 1980s respectively.

The youngster was thrilled to sign on at the Club into the future.

“It’s just pure excitement to have re-signed,” O’Donnell said.

“The last four months have just been incredible, to sign for two years and for the Club to put faith in me to hopefully influence a successful team is very exciting. I am over the moon.”

“It’s been a whirlwind journey; it is surreal. It hit me between the eyes a little bit – but each step I’ve taken forward I’ve had so much fun.

“From the start of the year being at Essendon Cricket Club to now, playing a few games and signing on, it’s been special.”

Bulldogs’ GM of List Management and Recruiting, Sam Power, was happy to secure O’Donnell for a further two seasons.

“James is still in the infancy of his career, but we’re really excited about him committing to the club and continuing to grow as a footballer,” Power said.

“He has the attributes to become a good defender over time, having strong athletic traits and a team first mentality.”

bulldogtragic
16-08-2023, 05:03 PM
I’d assume he’s staying Cat B. There’s absolutely no good reason to move him unless he threw a mega tantrum. Referencing team first leads me to believe that did not happen. Since I do not think that would happen, I’d assume 100% he’s staying Cat B.

Plus usually the language is about elevating rookies. He’s just had his contract extended/re-signed.

G-Mo77
16-08-2023, 05:09 PM
I'm assuming he stays as Cat B?

EasternWest
16-08-2023, 05:22 PM

Which compendium though? I know of no such thing.

bornadog
16-08-2023, 05:35 PM
Some highlights here

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6CWIBxlbkdA?feature=share

Dry Rot
16-08-2023, 06:08 PM
O?Donnell is a third generation VFL/AFL player, following grandfather Kevin and Father Simon representing St Kilda during the 1940s and 1980s respectively.

I am sure that Saints fans are very happy for him.

Bullies
16-08-2023, 06:19 PM
I really liked what I saw on Friday. O'Donnell looks like a kid who is calm under pressure, makes good decisions and has a confidence to back himself regardless of the opposition around him. Couple that with what looks like supreme athleticism and i can see why the MC has persisted with him. I think he is the real deal. Play him as a third tall for the next 12-24 months and let him grow in every aspect of the game. You cant teach what he has, but you can teach the polish on top of it. Not sure if you saw him talking to Riewoldt during the game but Riewoldt was actually telling him how to read a forward and where they run. He told him how he would have been out of position on a number of occassions if the mids knew how to deliver the ball. Obviously Riewoldt knew he was hanging them up but JOD said he learnt a heap from him.

GVGjr
16-08-2023, 06:23 PM
Not sure if you saw him talking to Riewoldt during the game but Riewoldt was actually telling him how to read a forward and where they run. He told him how he would have been out of position on a number of occassions if the mids knew how to deliver the ball. Obviously Riewoldt knew he was hanging them up but JOD said he learnt a heap from him.

I seem to recall Jarryd Roughead doing the same for Reuben William in a VFL game. Getting a gun forward to do some work with young defenders could be invaluable.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2023, 06:26 PM
I seem to recall Jarryd Roughead doing the same for Reuben William in a VFL game. Getting a gun forward to do some work with young defenders could be invaluable.

Jarrad Grant could come back. I’m on board. He could surprise on the track and end up back on the list. It’s still possible.

azabob
16-08-2023, 07:11 PM
I'm assuming he stays as Cat B?

You missed the previous seven posts trying to figure that very question out?

Axe Man
17-08-2023, 06:49 PM

Haha, just got back from overseas and have updated for Scott and O'Donnell re-signings. Did I miss any others? The board hasn't exploded so I'm assuming McComb is still waiting for his 5 year extension? ;)

azabob
17-08-2023, 07:02 PM
Haha, just got back from overseas and have updated for Scott and O'Donnell re-signings. Did I miss any others? The board hasn't exploded so I'm assuming McComb is still waiting for his 5 year extension? ;)

Where did you go?

EasternWest
17-08-2023, 07:26 PM

Updated what?

bornadog
17-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Welcome back hope the trip went well

bulldogtragic
17-08-2023, 09:39 PM
Updated what?

Stop the nonsense EW, you know exactly what he means.

Ironing on these numbers onto his duffle coat.

Please a little seriousness from time to time.

jeemak
18-08-2023, 02:02 AM

On that note, where is Axe?

jeemak
18-08-2023, 02:05 AM
I?d assume he?s staying Cat B. There?s absolutely no good reason to move him unless he threw a mega tantrum. Referencing team first leads me to believe that did not happen. Since I do not think that would happen, I?d assume 100% he?s staying Cat B.

Plus usually the language is about elevating rookies. He?s just had his contract extended/re-signed.

If he's good enough we should put him on the main list and start paying him accordingly with the appropriate contract arrangements.

jeemak
18-08-2023, 02:07 AM

Excuse my lateness and apologies for not understanding anything you're talking about when it comes to updates that simply can't exist due to no practical vehicles to facilitate them.

Mofra
18-08-2023, 05:29 PM
Stop the nonsense EW, you know exactly what he means.

Ironing on these numbers onto his duffle coat.

Please a little seriousness from time to time.
Do modern players know what a duffle coat is?
I haven't seen Cody Weightman wearing one, so I'm guessing no.... although he didn't know who Nirvana was, so I might be giving him too much credit.

jazzadogs
18-08-2023, 08:44 PM
Do modern players know what a duffle coat is?
I haven't seen Cody Weightman wearing one, so I'm guessing no.... although he didn't know who Nirvana was, so I might be giving him too much credit.

I have seen a duffle coat and have some knowledge, but I can't say I really understand them or why they were so popular/part of footy folklore. Might need to start a thread about duffle coats.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2023, 09:43 PM
If he's good enough we should put him on the main list and start paying him accordingly with the appropriate contract arrangements.

We can pay him whatever we want from the Cat B list of any rookie. Only the base wage sits outside the TPP. We can pay him more, it (the extra) just then counts in the TPP. FYI.

azabob
18-08-2023, 09:49 PM

We can pay him whatever we want from the Cat B list of any rookie. Only the base wage sits outside the TPP. We can pay him more, it (the extra) just then counts in the TPP. FYI.

jee FYI, Stay in your lane.

bornadog
18-08-2023, 10:18 PM
I have seen a duffle coat and have some knowledge, but I can't say I really understand them or why they were so popular/part of footy folklore. Might need to start a thread about duffle coats.

https://i.pinimg.com/1200x/d9/83/bd/d983bda0d9a06d276a92f9a0664f0d3a.jpg

bulldogtragic
20-08-2023, 05:11 PM
Great game by the kid.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2023, 05:12 PM
Great game by the kid.

He was actually fantastic and he was against a very good player in Allen

Well done, big future.

bornadog
27-08-2023, 11:07 AM
A bargain find

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4cd5t7XkAABIq7?format=jpg&name=large

Hotdog60
27-08-2023, 11:35 AM
He was one of the few players in the first two quarters that was busting a gut. We may have found a diamond in the rough. :)

Testekill
27-08-2023, 11:38 AM
I'd back him in to be our preferred CHB next season. Hopefully Busslinger will be ready to come in as well as he & JOD are both good users by foot.

D Mitchell
27-08-2023, 01:12 PM

Issued to the RAN in Australia but both the Army and RN in Britain. After the war, Army Disposals (shops that retailed surplus and unused military gear) in Melbourne were full of them so became cheap winter gear in the '50s. Really popular in the '60s among teenagers, not just football supporters, just about every teenage boy had one.

Go_Dogs
27-08-2023, 01:46 PM
Yep, JOD gets it. He thinks through the game and makes good decisions both ways.

He’s going to be a 150 game player.

merantau
31-08-2023, 07:58 AM
I have big hopes for JOD. He's got all the tools to become a top player.

GVGjr
31-08-2023, 09:06 AM
I have big hopes for JOD. He's got all the tools to become a top player.

He's certainly one of the positives to come out of an otherwise disappointing season.
I've mentioned a few times that he really trains like an elite athlete and if he can add a bit more poise and composure to his kicking skills he should be a regular player for us right through 2024 and beyond. There is a bit there to get excited about.

1eyedog
31-08-2023, 09:14 AM
I actually think he kicks the ball really well under pressure.

MrMahatma
31-08-2023, 09:20 AM
Definitely like what I’ve seen so far and given his “game” inexperience, but his otherwise more physical maturity, don’t see why he can’t really lock a best 22 away all next year after a full preseason training in defence.

He’s a good get. And credit to both him and to the club for landing him for free, during a period where we’ve not had much access to draft captial. We may have scored 2 x 10 yr key defenders last year with him and Buslinger. We may look back on that offseason in a few years as being a real game changer.

EasternWest
31-08-2023, 09:36 AM
I actually think he kicks the ball really well under pressure.

I agree with this. His kicking looks good to me and will only get better in time.

1eyedog
31-08-2023, 03:01 PM
I agree with this. His kicking looks good to me and will only get better in time.

There was a play, not sure where it was maybe Ballarat, where he spoilt the ball, scooped it up, took off and delivered a lace out 20 metre pass along the boundary running flat out with a forward on his back.

I thought here we go there's probably only 25% of players across the competition that could make that kick and this bloke is a Cat B rookie and nearly 6'6.

EasternWest
31-08-2023, 04:25 PM
There was a play, not sure where it was maybe Ballarat, where he spoilt the ball, scooped it up, took off and delivered a lace out 20 metre pass along the boundary running flat out with a forward on his back.

I thought here we go there's probably only 25% of players across the competition that could make that kick and this bloke is a Cat B rookie and nearly 6'6.

Stop I'm excited just reading that.

1eyedog
31-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Stop I'm excited just reading that.

It was probably a fluke.

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 05:07 PM
We need to see more. I'm excited. Really excited. My prediction is he will make it as an elite defender.

However, we should just temper our exitement a little. I think I read this actually on this forum, many moons ago. But for players with less than 20 games, we judget them differently. We look at things through rose coloured glasses. We elevate the exciting parts (i.e. the elite kick in Ballarat) but we forvive the negative elements easily and put it down to lack of experience. We don't give experienced players the same leeway.

1eyedog
31-08-2023, 05:11 PM
We need to see more. I'm excited. Really excited. My prediction is he will make it as an elite defender.

However, we should just temper our exitement a little. I think I read this actually on this forum, many moons ago. But for players with less than 20 games, we judget them differently. We look at things through rose coloured glasses. We elevate the exciting parts (i.e. the elite kick in Ballarat) but we forvive the negative elements easily and put it down to lack of experience. We don't give experienced players the same leeway.

Stop interrupting my healing process angelo!

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 05:12 PM
Stop interrupting my healing process angelo!

Ha .......

jazzadogs
31-08-2023, 08:58 PM

A Sockeye Salmon rule, wasn't it?

Who had a better debut, Lewis Young or JOD? .....

hujsh
31-08-2023, 09:11 PM

They're inverse of eachother. Young had a great first game and over time his weaknesses were exposed. JOD was quiet initially but built up once moved to defence and began to show what he's capable of, finishing the year strongly.

Prefer JOD's trajectory even if Young's first game is arguably better than JODs best game thus far (and to be fair it was only years later Young would have a game as good as that again)

angelopetraglia
31-08-2023, 09:11 PM

Possibly. But I think I read it here and it has always reasonated since.

jazzadogs
31-08-2023, 09:19 PM
They're inverse of eachother. Young had a great first game and over time his weaknesses were exposed. JOD was quiet initially but built up once moved to defence and began to show what he's capable of, finishing the year strongly.

Prefer JOD's trajectory even if Young's first game is arguably better than JODs best game thus far (and to be fair it was only years later Young would have a game as good as that again)

Yeh my point was that Young had an impressive first game which he has never replicated. JOD had an impressive end to the season but there are no guarantees that he progresses to the kpd we want and need.

I definitely wasn't trying to say that Young is better, just reinforcing the relevance of the 20 game rule.

hujsh
31-08-2023, 09:25 PM
Possibly. But I think I read it here and it has always reasonated since.

Sockeye Salmon a poster from the Rocket era of WOOF used to state it often. Before 20 games they're world beaters and after 20 games they're duds that should be delisted (I've forgotten the exact words)

hujsh
31-08-2023, 09:27 PM
Yeh my point was that Young had an impressive first game which he has never replicated. JOD had an impressive end to the season but there are no guarantees that he progresses to the kpd we want and need.

I definitely wasn't trying to say that Young is better, just reinforcing the relevance of the 20 game rule.

Definitely no guarantees and didn't think you were saying Young was better. I do think there is more cause for optimism with JOD than there was with Young. Patton really had him retreat into his shell and (so far) nothing really equivalent has shown itself in JODs game.

EasternWest
31-08-2023, 09:29 PM
Definitely no guarantees and didn't think you were saying Young was better. I do think there is more cause for optimism with JOD than there was with Young. Patton really had him retreat into his shell and (so far) nothing really equivalent has shown itself in JODs game.

No shade on Young but JOD looks like he's up for the fight.

jeemak
31-08-2023, 09:30 PM
I think the thing that makes me think his kicking (and marking/ spoiling attempts for that matter) is going to be OK, is that even after a few bad ones/ misses he still kicks the ball with intent/ confidence.

That was a big issue for Lew Young.

jazzadogs
31-08-2023, 10:12 PM
I shouldn't have brought up Young haha.

Cameron Wight another kpd who looked good early days then faded.

Agree with everyone that JOD seems to have the right mix of attitude, skill and resilience. Excited to see his future.

FrediKanoute
31-08-2023, 11:09 PM

Agree with everyone that JOD seems to have the right mix of attitude, skill and resilience. Excited to see his future.

Wayde Skipper anyone?

EasternWest
31-08-2023, 11:34 PM

Wayde Skipper anyone?

The Big Sauce?

bornadog
01-09-2023, 10:16 AM
Sockeye Salmon a poster from the Rocket era of WOOF used to state it often. Before 20 games they're world beaters and after 20 games they're duds that should be delisted (I've forgotten the exact words)

Nah, the 20 game rule was don't judge the player till they have at least played 20 games.

hujsh
01-09-2023, 10:18 AM
Nah, the 20 game rule was don't judge the player till they have at least played 20 games.

I thought that was the moral but the point was we overrate them early and then over correct once we realise their faults

angelopetraglia
01-09-2023, 10:23 AM
I thought that was the moral but the point was we overrate them early and then over correct once we realise their faults

Agree 100% with this.