PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Tom Liberatore - 200 Games

bornadog
09-04-2023, 12:30 PM
Getting in early to celebrate Tom's up and coming 200th game v Port Adelaide. Tom has been incredible throughout his 200 games being a clearance king in the AFL, tackling machine (ranked 1) and top 20 in contested poss.

http://t3.gstatic.com/licensed-image?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDk6eYBkWBvWO9tK26DoHmKo6VnJwN4QbvY1rVBKt7 CT7WlSZTFos8L_Wtd36IB6D5hjeOgrxCyjbzLIs

AshMac
09-04-2023, 01:02 PM
Champion of the club. Still shoulders so much responsibility. Still massively underrated for the impact he has - love the way he goes about it.

Thanks for 200 games (on Saturday) Tom!

EasternWest
09-04-2023, 02:15 PM
Undeniably one of our greats and second or third only to Bont and English in importance.

Credit to him too for choosing professionalism over larrikinism. A wonderful player.

macca
09-04-2023, 02:24 PM
He is one of the goats
He has amazing agility, keeps his footing
Champion tackler
One of the best mids of our modern era

He has one of the best escape plan kick snaps i have ever seen even on the right foot

I wish he could win a brownlow to add to his GF medal

Now he has 200 games we get another father and son line.

Happy Days
09-04-2023, 03:18 PM
He’s been an amazing player and has never gotten the respect he deserves. And he still looks really young, fit and cool and has his best years in front of him probably.

Also I named my dog after him which is the highest accolade you can receive as a Bulldogs player.

Go_Dogs
09-04-2023, 03:45 PM
Criminally underrated outside the club, but hard given the field of contemporaries we have around him.

A true Bulldog champion and one we’ve been very lucky to watch over 200 games. Huge achievement too considering some of the injuries he’s had. Still remember being impressed by him at the U/18 state champs in Adelaide… he’s been all I saw that day and more for a long long time.

Jasper
09-04-2023, 04:32 PM
Criminally underrated outside the club, but hard given the field of contemporaries we have around him.

A true Bulldog champion and one we’ve been very lucky to watch over 200 games. Huge achievement too considering some of the injuries he’s had. Still remember being impressed by him at the U/18 state champs in Adelaide… he’s been all I saw that day and more for a long long time.

I could not agree more. Bont grabs the headlines but its often Libba doing the grunt work. I loved his old man but Tom is even better.

The Doctor
09-04-2023, 04:41 PM
How could you not love him?

Go Libba.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-04-2023, 05:53 PM
Let’s get the boys up for this one. We owe it to Libba. The amount of times he get us going is amazing

He really is our barometer. Go Libba enjoy your 200th with a win. And a new tattoo��

Grantysghost
09-04-2023, 06:06 PM
Don't think there's been a better contested ball winner ever in the game.

He's a dog's legend and the start of many amazing chains for the team.

Be stuffed without him.

Shame it's interstate.

aker39
09-04-2023, 07:53 PM
I'll be lucky enough to be there to watch it.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 08:40 PM
I'll be lucky enough to be there to watch it.

I was too slow to react to get tickets.

Uninformed
09-04-2023, 11:51 PM
Don't think there's been a better contested ball winner ever in the game.

He's a dog's legend and the start of many amazing chains for the team.

Be stuffed without him.

Shame it's interstate.

Add to that some serious personality! After his early tackle pushing Dunkley's face into the ground he said to him, 'Sorry mate. Just had to get that out of the way!'

Gotta luv the guy.

MrMahatma
10-04-2023, 06:53 AM
He’s a jet and definitely one of our most important players. At times prob the most underrated bloke in the league, which is crazy given his surname.

Congrats on the career to date Libba. Keep at it and 250 is within reach!

SonofScray
10-04-2023, 11:54 AM
I can?t praise Libba highly enough.

His dad was my favourite, Tony?s last game I was on the boundary for his lap of honour and sobbed uncontrollably. A childhood hero, all the way through to my late teens. he had his work cut out for him to surpass that impact, and he has tackled it admirably.

Tom has put himself up there in the highest echelons in our pantheon of heroes. A premiership player, as someone who is connected deeply to the club through family, emblematic of our best qualities as a club in his work ethic and resilience, really comfortable with who he is and making his own way. When he is out there, I feel like he, more than anyone else, takes us out there with him.

That?s special.

Generation West
10-04-2023, 12:21 PM
i'm old enough to have watched most of Tony's career and all of Tom's and was stupid enough as a teenager to believe that Tony was just too small to be an effective player at the top level. i quickly changed my opinion.

Just like the Ablett question - who is the better player, senior or junior, i often ask myself the same question re Tony and Tom. Both have played in some crap Bulldogs team but also, both have played in a couple of really significant and successful periods for our club.

FWIW - Ablett senior is the better player, but it's marginal and Tom is the better Liberatore, but again, it is a toss of the coin and would respect arguments against for both family legacys.

Congrats Tom on an outstanding career.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2023, 12:27 PM
Libba. Love him.

Premiership Player
Charles Sutton Medal
Five times top three in B&F
Most clearances in Bulldog history
Second most tackles in Bulldog history (His dad has the most)

Decorated player, but I have just loved the way he has gone about it. When you consider he has had two knee reconstructions and also went off the rails earlier in his career, it is quite amazing how he got back to his best footy in the last few years. Even at times Bevo appeared to lose some faith and didn't play him in the middle consistently but he has proved all his doubters wrong. Also, has has played on short term contracts in recent years too.

He has been the heart and spirit in the most recent era. When he plays well we don't lose too often. Agree that he is underrated outside of the club and he is unlucky to have never been AA.

Jeanette54
10-04-2023, 01:31 PM
Like his Dad, Tom is the engine room of this team. I just love how he extracts the ball from the packs and delivers it cleanly to the outside runners. There's also a useful helping of mongrel there when the going gets hard. I have no idea what his scoring stats are, but I would wager his hit/miss ratio from set shots at goal is probably the best of our regular goal kickers too.

We have never been that good at celebrating personal milestones with a win. But I truly believe this is the most important milestone game since the rain hid our tears at Ted's retirement game.

Mofra
10-04-2023, 02:02 PM
I just want more Libba content.

"What's your favourite farm animal?"
"White Crow, because I like the sauce"

Funke disco
10-04-2023, 07:29 PM
Such a blue collar player that embodies the working class spirit of those of us out west. Legend and one of my favourites

josie
10-04-2023, 11:20 PM
I reckon if you took a poll of dog supporters, especially members, Libba would be the most popular current player; for all the reasons woofers have noted in this thread. Even more than Bont and Naughts who are also great players and rightly extremely popular.

A delightful woman (who resides at same aged care as my Mum) is 96 years young and RWB through and through. When I asked her who her favourite player is she said emphatically “Libba, I love ‘im!!”.

bornadog
10-04-2023, 11:35 PM
i'm old enough to have watched most of Tony's career and all of Tom's and was stupid enough as a teenager to believe that Tony was just too small to be an effective player at the top level. i quickly changed my opinion.

Just like the Ablett question - who is the better player, senior or junior, i often ask myself the same question re Tony and Tom. Both have played in some crap Bulldogs team but also, both have played in a couple of really significant and successful periods for our club.

FWIW - Ablett senior is the better player, but it's marginal and Tom is the better Liberatore, but again, it is a toss of the coin and would respect arguments against for both family legacys.

I remember Tony's first game under Malthouse. It was a shocker, but Libba senior was persistent and would never give up. Malthouse seemed to only player Tony in wet conditions where he revelled in the mud. It was Terry wheeler that really backed Tony and he ended up with that Brownlow for a fantastic 1990 season.

Tony was tough bugger and lots of people only remember him as a tagger, but before that he was a hard nut midfielder, at the bottom of packs, feeding the ball out, much like Tom does now.

Tom has lots of his fathers traits, but personally I think Tom is a better player, but then again it is hard to judge players from different eras.

Both Legends of the club.

https://ilglobo.com/media/cache/6c/54/6c5498d53bab81b886d19bbfa4402d9b.jpg

Young Tom with his Dad

D Mitchell
11-04-2023, 01:37 AM
No need to add to the accolades the 2 have earned in this thread. Character. I met Tony only once, briefly in the Social Club during his playing days. He was quiet, unassuming, his public persona is the same. He took an interest in my family, who were with me and said something about his own which impressed me and which I still remember. He’d have been a wonderful father. I’ve never met Tom. I hope he has similar good character.

Eastdog
11-04-2023, 01:48 AM
A Bulldog great Tom Liberatore. His form the last few years has been great. So unlucky not to have won the B&F last year. Congrats on 200 games Libba.

ratsmac
11-04-2023, 02:38 AM
I am also lucky enough to see Libba senior play his whole career. I still remember attending a training session when he first got to the club. He was running laps and would chat with me and my sister every time he past us. He went on to be a club champion and one of my favourite all time players.

The apple didn't fall far from the tree that's for sure. Tom is an out and out gun, just like the old man. I concur with others that he must be the most underrated player going around, at least in the media anyways. I can't remember a player who can extract the ball from a contest and handball it to a team mate not within his line of vision. His awareness around a stoppage his of the charts. Scott West was an expert and Tom is equally as good imo. He leaves nothing on the field.

I'd love to see him get the respect he deserves in the wider football community and in the media but I don't think Tom gives a shit, which makes me love him more.

Congrats Tom on your 200th. Spewin it's in Adelaide so I won't see it live. What a man!

DISHLICKERS
11-04-2023, 02:54 PM
Libba is closing in if not already there as my favourite player at the club.

He is a JET

His kicking skill is sometimes overlooked because of his other attributes. His vision is freaky

I will have something in my eye when he runs out on the grounds Saturday.

Real pity it is interstate.

What a great character also.

Sedat
11-04-2023, 03:01 PM
So we all know Libba has amazing ball-winning ability in tight and is a monster tackler. But in my lifetime, only Greg Williams and Sam Mitchell have him covered for the cleanest hands in traffic and incredible vision by hand. He is also a massively underrated user of the ball by foot.

To cap it off, he is already in the Vietnamese AFL team of the century. Love this bloke so much.

angelopetraglia
11-04-2023, 08:07 PM
Channel 7 News interview with Tom and Tony https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1645711417423822848?s=20

Vred
12-04-2023, 06:35 AM
My favorite player by a large margin, complete jet, underrated, and overall heart and soul of this club.

I fear the day he hangs up the boots, the Bulldogs just aren't the same without a Liberatore in the team, hopefully his young son' comes on sooner than later.

Congrats on 200 games mate.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-04-2023, 08:33 AM

Lovely contribution Generation West. I agree with your sentiments. There was a patch in 1987 when I think we won 6 or 7 in a row after having ha a shocking start to the season. I think we were 0-3 or 0-4 and had copped a couple of pumping's in that as well! That was the first time Libba Snr came to my attention. He and Angelo Petraglia had a influential stretch of games during that run of wins.

Tom is an exceptional football player. And its a credit to him he's been able to remain as influential as he has been given his two ACL's. I'm really thrilled for him to reach the milestone, and I'm hoping he's still got some ways to go as an influential midfielder.

bornadog
12-04-2023, 09:35 AM
My favorite player by a large margin, complete jet, underrated, and overall heart and soul of this club.

I fear the day he hangs up the boots, the Bulldogs just aren't the same without a Liberatore in the team, hopefully his young son' comes on sooner than later.

Congrats on 200 games mate.

What happened to his younger brother? Did he quit footy?

Bulldog Revolution
12-04-2023, 11:19 AM
Incredible footballer

I hope the club get Colin 'Funky' Miller to do another video for him

Vred
12-04-2023, 12:34 PM
What happened to his younger brother? Did he quit footy?

Believe so, Oliver sadly didn't follow in dad/brothers footsteps, pretty sure he played up until U16 and then stopped.

angelopetraglia
12-04-2023, 07:33 PM
More great content https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1646050996743991297?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

bornadog
12-04-2023, 09:46 PM
More great content https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1646050996743991297?s=46&t=oMlyiNHry1lhUs8p7uzZ_A

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2yvv5luNMI

Grantysghost
13-04-2023, 04:04 PM
This is pretty cool too. I note with interest Baz's words.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1306079/players-leave-their-messages-for-libba200?videoId=1306079&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1681353332001

bornadog
13-04-2023, 04:14 PM

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1306079/players-leave-their-messages-for-libba200?videoId=1306079&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1681353332001

Was that GVGjnr in the background collecting autographs :D:D

hujsh
13-04-2023, 04:21 PM

What you think it's a farewell?

Grantysghost
13-04-2023, 06:05 PM
What you think it's a farewell?

Ha no. Just that Libba seems the type that would be there for you when you're down.
The Cordy ket photos are evidence of this.

bornadog
14-04-2023, 03:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdETV5hmRyI

Mitcha
15-04-2023, 11:40 AM
Much like Simon Atkins back in the day, Libba only requires a split second with the ball as he seems to read the play far better and earlier than most of his opponents. Elite decision maker with the ability to kick off one step with either foot and outrageously good by hand who seems to know where his teammates are and is able to put them into clear space. All Dogs supporters know how good this bloke is, not sure about the rest of the football world. Go well tonight Tommy you weird and wonderful icon of our club.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 12:38 PM
Much like Simon Atkins back in the day, Libba only requires a split second with the ball as he seems to read the play far better and earlier than most of his opponents. Elite decision maker with the ability to kick off one step with either foot and outrageously good by hand who seems to know where his teammates are and is able to put them into clear space. All Dogs supporters know how good this bloke is, not sure about the rest of the football world. Go well tonight Tommy you weird and wonderful icon of our club.

Well said. Loved watching Axe back in the day.

D Mitchell
15-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Well said. Loved watching Axe back in the day.

Atkins had/has an identical twin brother who played VFA footy. There was a rumour that in one game, the twin played in Simon's jumper. I'd like to think it happened, love the mischief of it. Anything in it do you think ?

azabob
15-04-2023, 01:53 PM
Atkins had/has an identical twin brother who played VFA footy. There was a rumour that in one game, the twin played in Simon's jumper. I'd like to think it happened, love the mischief of it. Anything in it do you think ?

His brother actually played for Sydney.

GVGjr
15-04-2023, 02:08 PM

I can recall that Simon's twin did an interview with one of the radio stations in their booth and about half way through Simon came in and took over.

D Mitchell
15-04-2023, 02:40 PM
His brother actually played for Sydney.

Thanks, Paul, played 2 games. I still like the thought of a Simon-Paul switch, though.

azabob
15-04-2023, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Paul, played 2 games. I still like the thought of a Simon-Paul switch, though.

I also love the thought of that!

We need TwoDogs to come back; as I’m certain he’d be able confirm or deny the story.

bornadog
15-04-2023, 03:52 PM
I remember before a game, a friend arrived at our spot at Western oval and said looks like bad news, Simon is out, I just saw him in the next bay amongst mates. Little did he know it was his twin. Paul did play reserves for us.