PDA

View Full Version : Tony Liberatore charged with assault

The bulldog tragician
14-04-2023, 10:19 AM
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/afl-legend-tony-liberatore-charged-with-assaulting-election-worker-20230413-p5d01i.html

AFL legend Tony Liberatore has been charged with assaulting an election worker after an alleged confrontation at a pre-poll booth on the eve of the 2022 state election.

The former Western Bulldogs star, who is the father of current Bulldogs player Tom Liberatore, has been accused of unlawfully assaulting a staff member of the Victorian Electoral Commission at a voting centre in Essendon on November 25.

The incident allegedly occurred after Liberatore was denied access to the polling booth because he apparently arrived as the facility was closing for the day.

A female member of staff was allegedly pushed against a wall during the incident, according to a source aware of the incident but not authorised to speak as the matter is now before the court.

It is unclear whether anyone was injured in the incident. Ambulance Victoria has no record of a call-out for that location and time.

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 10:36 AM
Hmm that doesn't sound like great behaviour on face value.

Really bad timing too with Tom's milestone game coming up.

GVGjr
14-04-2023, 11:34 AM
Hmm that doesn't sound like great behaviour on face value.

Really bad timing too with Tom's milestone game coming up.

It's a poor act by Tony if all that reported is true and exceptionally poor timing for Tom.
It probably won't be a huge distraction.

jeemak
14-04-2023, 11:37 AM
Of all the things..........democracy!

Not great.

Axe Man
14-04-2023, 11:55 AM
Who still waits until election day to vote? Don't think I have been to a polling booth on election day in 20 years.

bornadog
14-04-2023, 12:08 PM
It's a poor act by Tony if all that reported is true and exceptionally poor timing for Tom.
It probably won't be a huge distraction.

He is challenging the charge, so let's see what happens.

angelopetraglia
14-04-2023, 12:16 PM
On the surface doesn't look great. Actually horrendous, especially with a female being involved.

However, two sides to every story. Innocent until proven guilty. Agree, let's see what happens.

GVGjr
14-04-2023, 12:47 PM

Not great.
Politics gets in the way again :)

The Underdog
14-04-2023, 12:59 PM
Who still waits until election day to vote? Don't think I have been to a polling booth on election day in 20 years.

Lots of people still do. Although it’s obviously much lower these days.
Not many wait until 6pm on Election Day though. You’ve got postal voting, 2 weeks of pre-poll voting and 10 hours on polling day to get it done. The booth workers usually do a quick run outside and check if anyone is on the way in before they close too, although that varies. Some can be pretty bolshy about closing dead on 6pm.
Doesn’t look great for Tony regardless.

Jeanette54
14-04-2023, 01:25 PM
I wonder about the delayed timing of the release of these accusations. The age article is behind a pay wall, so I can't access the details.

Personally, I wouldn't miss polling booth attendance. Living in the country it's a chance to catch up with other citizens, have a sausage in bread and a poor coffee from the school/fire brigade/Rotary/Lions BBQ.

Bulldog4life
14-04-2023, 01:32 PM
I wonder about the delayed timing of the release of these accusations. The age article is behind a pay wall, so I can't access the details.

Personally, I would miss polling booth attendance. Living in the country it's a chance to catch up with other citizens, have a sausage in bread and a poor coffee from the school/fire brigade/Rotary/Lions BBQ.

Yep you've got to love a sausage sizzle.

Axe Man
14-04-2023, 01:34 PM

Personally, I would miss polling booth attendance. Living in the country it's a chance to catch up with other citizens, have a sausage in bread and a poor coffee from the school/fire brigade/Rotary/Lions BBQ.

I live in the country and I can go to Bunnings every weekend for those things without lining up for an hour!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-04-2023, 01:40 PM
Could the charges not have waited until Monday after Tom’s 200th?

EasternWest
14-04-2023, 02:10 PM

Not great.

Manifest?

Happy Days
14-04-2023, 02:11 PM
Could the charges not have waited until Monday after Tom’s 200th?

Couldn’t Tony have not done it (allegedly allegedly allegedly)?

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 02:44 PM
Couldn’t Tony have not done it (allegedly allegedly allegedly)?

Voting is an emotive subject.

I actually did this to a crows guy who drunkenly forced his scarf into my face as I was exiting lower ponsford a min before the end of the elim final in 15.

I couldn't stand hearing that song again after a final.

I behaved really poorly however it was so split second it was like someone else was doing it.

#barrackresponsibly

Sedat
14-04-2023, 04:05 PM
Could the charges not have waited until Monday after Tom?s 200th?
Knowing how the gutter media works, I suspect the whole point of releasing the story today is precisely because it is Tom's milestone match. More eyeballs, more clicks.

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 04:10 PM
Knowing how the gutter media works, I suspect the whole point of releasing the story today is precisely because it is Tom's milestone match.

Unfortunately spot on.

All they care about is eyes on.

The bulldog tragician
14-04-2023, 04:15 PM
We all love a good conspiracy theory but I reckon I draw the line at the idea that this is somehow designed to derail Tom’s milestone match.

derb
14-04-2023, 04:25 PM
Nice one tony *sarcasm*.

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 04:25 PM
We all love a good conspiracy theory but I reckon I draw the line at the idea that this is somehow designed to derail Tom’s milestone match.

Fair enough.

I think it's more to tie in with it so they boost each others clickability ( just made up a word ).

Certainly not derail youre right.

MrMahatma
14-04-2023, 04:56 PM
Tom Morris kept this up his sleeve until now.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-04-2023, 05:40 PM
Manifest?

will have to consider over a succulent chinese meal

Grantysghost
14-04-2023, 05:58 PM
will have to consider over a succulent chinese meal

Get your hand off my pe;is!

Mofra
14-04-2023, 06:45 PM
It was a pre-poll station - the day before the election

jeemak
14-04-2023, 07:23 PM
I see you know your judo well sir!

1eyedog
14-04-2023, 07:42 PM
You leave Tony Liberatore alone!

We are in his debt.

EasternWest
14-04-2023, 07:53 PM
You sir. Are you ready to receive....

D Mitchell
15-04-2023, 01:26 PM
Outrageous denial of Libba's right to vote. Libba strikes a blow for FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY.

bornadog
15-04-2023, 04:27 PM
Outrageous denial of Libba's right to vote. Libba strikes a blow for FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY.

Depends who he votes for.:D

HOSE B ROMERO
15-04-2023, 04:35 PM
Voting is an emotive subject.

I actually did this to a crows guy who drunkenly forced his scarf into my face as I was exiting lower ponsford a min before the end of the elim final in 15.

I couldn't stand hearing that song again after a final.

I behaved really poorly however it was so split second it was like someone else was doing it.

#barrackresponsibly

No, Jarman deserved it GG after what he did to us in '97.

#gutreactionprevails

D Mitchell
15-04-2023, 06:57 PM
Depends who he votes for.:D
The purist in me says it doesn't matter for whom. The pragmatist says that the human gorilla who shoved poor little Libba against the wall thought he was going to vote against Pearson. It's time to put an end to leftist gorillas targetting frail former football players.

D Mitchell
15-04-2023, 07:03 PM
No, Jarman deserved it GG after what he did to us in '97.

#gutreactionprevails
Gee, he was good footballer.

bornadog
15-04-2023, 07:14 PM
Gee, he was good footballer.

Did you see the Jarman brothers on Front Bar on Wednesday. Big boys now.

The Underdog
15-04-2023, 07:22 PM
I live in the country and I can go to Bunnings every weekend for those things without lining up for an hour!

There?s bigger queues at Bunnings these days than most polling booths in on election day. As long as you don?t go before 10am you?re usually in and out in 5 minutes.

D Mitchell
15-04-2023, 07:23 PM
I didn't, but whatever shape they now are in, Jarman 1997 was brilliant in that last quarter. We had several opportunities to seal it.

EasternWest
15-04-2023, 08:39 PM
The purist in me says it doesn't matter for whom. The pragmatist says that the human gorilla who shoved poor little Libba against the wall thought he was going to vote against Pearson. It's time to put an end to leftist gorillas targetting frail former football players.

Ha ha. Love it.

But yeah, Libba you can't do this.

Axe Man
19-09-2023, 05:17 PM
Bulldogs icon learns fate over ugly polling booth scuffle (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/police-courts-victoria/bulldogs-icon-learns-fate-over-ugly-polling-booth-scuffle/news-story/cb0555957520b67a7dc0fa169b662cb9)

Western Bulldogs legend Tony Liberatore has escaped conviction over an ugly confrontation with an election official at a pre-poll booth prior to the 2022 state election.

The 57-year-old faced the Broadmeadows Magistrates? Court on Tuesday charged with unlawful assault at a voting centre in Moonee Ponds just after 6pm on November 25 last year.

The court heard Liberatore became aggressive after he was told by a female election worker that he was too late to vote.

A police summary alleged he pushed the worker to the left side of her body, forcing her into a wall.

The official did not back down and again told Liberatore he was too late to vote.

?The accused then grabbed the complainant by her right forearm and pushed her with his other hand,? a summary read.

?The accused continued to use his forearm to push past the complainant.

?She let the accused know she would be contacting police and decided to de-escalate the situation and let him vote.?

The official was uninjured during the confrontation.

Police arrived about 6.25pm and were told by Liberatore that the worker also pushed him.

The court heard the Brownlow Medallist has no criminal history and is a significant contributor to charities such as Neale Daniher?s FightMND foundation.

He was placed on a diversion plan following an agreement between prosecutors, defence and the complainant.

Magistrate Bob Kumar ordered Liberatore to make a $1000 donation to the Royal Children?s Hospital and be of good behaviour for a period of three months.

?And that?s done ? now you can say you?ve never been in any trouble before,? Mr Kumar said.

The AFL star appeared via video link as he was recovering from ankle surgery the previous day.

Liberatore ? the father of current Dogs star Tom Liberatore ? played 283 senior games for the Dogs during his decorated career.

He now owns and operates Liberatore First Aid, which sells defibrillators and first aid kits online.

Grantysghost
19-09-2023, 06:07 PM
He really wanted to see the back of Scomo!

Bulldog Joe
19-09-2023, 06:28 PM
He really wanted to see the back of Scomo!

Except it was the state election.

Grantysghost
19-09-2023, 06:36 PM
Except it was the state election.

Ha, well, erm. <insert something witty >

chef
19-09-2023, 07:05 PM
No need to push anyone, let alone a women. He should be better than that.

macca
19-09-2023, 07:56 PM
should have copped the no show on vote fine! would have been easier

jeemak
19-09-2023, 08:19 PM
He made a promise to Paul Dimattina that he would do everything in his power to oust Dan Andrews and didn't want to let his friend down.

But seriously, chill the **** out man.