PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 5, 2023 vs Port Adelaide

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-04-2023, 10:08 AM
This is the Round 5, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Port Adelaide is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-04-2023, 12:10 AM
Bankers

1. English - That was a super performance from Tim. He had only two metres less than Bont in 'metres gained - 452. 7th best for the game. This on top of his demonstrated skills below his knees, finesse with ball use, goalkicking, defensive and forward marking. It's taken a while to mature, but the investment in Tim is starting to pay off....he just needs a few mates.

2. Weightman - he looked our most likely forward all night, and his energy, effort, smarts and execution were elite. His first game back too!

3. Liam Jones. He is doing it all back there. Really hope he gets some support soon. Gardner would help. If he can sustain what he's shown across the year, he's got to be in AA conversations.

Anchors

1. Our efficiency inside 50 is painful to behold. We have to work so hard to get scoreboard reward. And when we dominate play and don't score, and then allow the opposition to get one against the run of play, it's demoralising.

2. Hannan and Lobb, I just don't think they were astute pickups. Nor TOB, even though he was good tonight. They're all experienced players with no further upside or development and all with real significant weaknesses to their game. I just don't see top teams seeking those type of players to take up regular roles within the top 22. Lobb aside they're depth players at best.

3. Toby McLean. I thought he could be important....he was.... just not in the way I'd hoped. That was some amateur hour stuff for the time he was out there. He needs to go back to Footscray and lay down a solid few weeks of form before he gets a run. I still really rate his potential, and there is still time, but he's gotta get some rhythm back to his game.

Scorlibo
16-04-2023, 01:04 AM
3. Toby McLean. I thought he could be important....he was.... just not in the way I'd hoped. That was some amateur hour stuff for the time he was out there. He needs to go back to Footscray and lay down a solid few weeks of form before he gets a run. I still really rate his potential, and there is still time, but he's gotta get some rhythm back to his game.

As much as 0 touches and one crucial free against is a terrible return, I thought he should have come on much earlier. It's difficult to work into a wet game in one quarter of footy.

Bankers

JJ at half back - a few weeks in to the switch and this has clearly worked. Feels like we've found a new player.

TOB - his last term was disappointing with Marshall getting the upper hand and that silly turnover in the back pocket, but I reckon he exceeded expectations by a fair margin in the first three quarters. Plenty to like about his game.

Bont - we always get to see just how good he is when it's wet and he makes the ball look bone dry

Anchors

Dale - was beaten by the tag, so will have to face it again. We missed his drive behind the ball.

Mature players not contributing - Baker, Scott, Hannan, Duryea, Williams all of them delivering poor games. We can carry one or two having down games, but not all of them.

Lobb - he's there to convert when forward and compete when asked to ruck. Failed in both categories tonight by missing two routine set shots and not holding down the fort while Tim was off the ground in the last.

dalek
16-04-2023, 08:18 PM
As much as 0 touches and one crucial free against is a terrible return, I thought he should have come on much earlier. It's difficult to work into a wet game in one quarter of footy.

Bankers

JJ at half back - a few weeks in to the switch and this has clearly worked. Feels like we've found a new player.

TOB - his last term was disappointing with Marshall getting the upper hand and that silly turnover in the back pocket, but I reckon he exceeded expectations by a fair margin in the first three quarters. Plenty to like about his game.

Bont - we always get to see just how good he is when it's wet and he makes the ball look bone dry

Anchors

Dale - was beaten by the tag, so will have to face it again. We missed his drive behind the ball.

Mature players not contributing - Baker, Scott, Hannan, Duryea, Williams all of them delivering poor games. We can carry one or two having down games, but not all of them.

Lobb - he's there to convert when forward and compete when asked to ruck. Failed in both categories tonight by missing two routine set shots and not holding down the fort while Tim was off the ground in the last.

Bolded part, I thought he was terrible even allowing for the wet conditions. We seem to lose momentum when he goes in the ruck. The 2 Marshall goals come from inability to get a good advantage in the ruck on the wing. That's 2 weeks in a row.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:14 PM
Bankers

1. Cody Weightman - have missed his enthusiasm, and his forward craft - welcome back.

2. Tim English playing well - premier AFL ruckman (Champion Data )

3. Bont's clearance woirk in the first half.

Anchors

1. Inability to finish this game off when we should have won - one that got away.

2. Bruce's Injury coming at the wrong time.

3. MC - picking guys like Hannan who gives us ZERO - At best a good VFL Player.

Ozza
17-04-2023, 09:01 AM
Bankers:

Bont
English
Weightman

All three are flying (we just didn't know Cody was until he came back).

Anchors:

Libba - Said after the Lions game that although he is doing a lot really well, the way he haphazardly flings the ball out at times can leave us very vulnerable. Well now it cost us dearly. That rubbish from him when we had the game under control completely swung the game in their favour.

McLean as sub decision - I think in the circumstances with the weather, we should have had Toby in and left Arty or one of the talls out.