PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 5, 2023 vs Port Adelaide

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
15-04-2023, 10:09 AM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in this afternoon's game against Port Adelaide. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'

azabob
15-04-2023, 11:21 PM
Damn that’s a tough loss.

When English went off for a spell in the fourth and the power kick three in quick succession.

We had all the momentum and couldn’t get it back.

Boots
15-04-2023, 11:32 PM
The moment I felt best during the game was Bont gathering and kicking straight to weightman while being tackled. He knew how little time he had and used every last skerrick of it, hands still by his knees as the ball sailed away. Weightman kicked his fourth from that. Just perfect footy by both of them.

Mofra
15-04-2023, 11:33 PM
Todd Marshall's incredible goal from the boundary.
Got the crowd involved and gave Port an extra yard to two.

westbulldog
15-04-2023, 11:39 PM
The Byrne-Jones goal just before half time gifted by a HTB free against Hannan, and later in the game the clear push in the back to Weightman not paid.

SonofScray
15-04-2023, 11:41 PM
When Naughton got legged in the goal square.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-04-2023, 11:41 PM
Libbas blind handball into the middle at our half forward.

We had them pinned down. 8pts up.

That handball went straight to Port players which allowed them to finally break through our defence. They then kicked 4 goals pretty quickly.

angelopetraglia
15-04-2023, 11:43 PM
For me it was O’Brien not getting anywhere near spoiling that Marshall mark. The ball sat up, big pack and we let him pull that mark down. That changed the entire momentum.

Grantysghost
15-04-2023, 11:45 PM
English not in the ruck early in the last.

Whose bright idea was that?

Scorlibo
16-04-2023, 12:08 AM
Damn that’s a tough loss.

When English went off for a spell in the fourth and the power kick three in quick succession.

We had all the momentum and couldn’t get it back.

Bingo. We were up on the back of our clearance work. Lobb didn't get it done versus other part timers, the clearance game swung and so did the rest of the game.

JanLorMill
16-04-2023, 12:33 AM
The Bruce injury

SonofScray
16-04-2023, 12:39 AM
The Bruce injury

Yep, one thing we’ve seen so far is that our backline gets unsettled quickly and is slow to adjust.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 12:55 AM
When Naughton got legged in the goal square.

This^^

Two weeks in a row players get legged in the goal square. WTF do we have 4 umpires.

SquirrelGrip
16-04-2023, 09:14 AM

And Bont not in the middle then either.

1eyedog
16-04-2023, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure if Juice was on Marshall all night but for me it was when Bruce got injured and subbed at 3QT leaving one key back against Dixon / Marshall / Finlayson.

As soon as Juice goes off Marshall starts to get hold of Tim and effectively puts the game out of our hands with two goals in five minutes in the last.

I called for Bruce to be subbed late in the 3rd but it was the wrong call. He does some very ordinary things with the football and Gardner needs to replace him sooner rather than later but he was very solid defensively in the air last night.

angelopetraglia
16-04-2023, 11:16 AM
Todd Marshall's incredible goal from the boundary.
Got the crowd involved and gave Port an extra yard to two.

Agree. They also kicked a number of BIG goals. The Boak goal from the boundary also comes to mind. A few other difficult snaps like Pepper's to open the game. IN a night where a couple of goals was the difference it reall stood out. Those pieces of play do inspire. Where I can't recall us kicking a really difficult one.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure if Juice was on Marshall all night but for me it was when Bruce got injured and subbed at 3QT leaving one key back against Dixon / Marshall / Finlayson.

As soon as Juice goes off Marshall starts to get hold of Tim and effectively puts the game out of our hands with two goals in five minutes in the last.

I called for Bruce to be subbed late in the 3rd but it was the wrong call. He does some very ordinary things with the football and Gardner needs to replace him sooner rather than later but he was very solid defensively in the air last night.

Bruce was more on Dixon for most of the game, and Jones on Marsh with TOB taking Finlayson. That was working pretty well.

AshMac
16-04-2023, 01:55 PM
Marshall?s 2 goals in the last.

Strong contested pack mark with their first F50 in ages. We?d had about 10 bombs in for no return

His kick from the boundary line minutes later.

Knocked all the wind out of our sails

The Underdog
16-04-2023, 02:06 PM

It was a loss, but Lycett had been subbed off so pretty sure either Dixon or Finlayson were in the ruck for the whole last quarter, leaving 2 key forwards. Bruce may have done better in those situations, but we also barely touched the footy in the last 10 minutes.

The bulldog tragician
16-04-2023, 03:32 PM
When something happened to Bailey Smith?s calf during the week. He?s been very good in the tight last quarters of our past two wins providing run and leg speed which were noticeably absent last night.

However if it?s true that Bont was parked up forward for the last qtr? then that just seems an unfathomable decision to me. Don?t you back him to beat a tag by just being Bont?

westbulldog
16-04-2023, 07:02 PM
The Byrne-Jones goal just before half time gifted by a HTB free against Hannan, and later in the game the clear push in the back to Weightman not paid.

For those with the game on tape, the Weightman push in the back happened 3.48 to go in the 3rd 1/4 and wasn't paid, add Naughton being legged - 4 umpires sheesh.

bornadog
16-04-2023, 10:21 PM
When something happened to Bailey Smith?s calf during the week. He?s been very good in the tight last quarters of our past two wins providing run and leg speed which were noticeably absent last night.

However if it?s true that Bont was parked up forward for the last qtr? then that just seems an unfathomable decision to me. Don?t you back him to beat a tag by just being Bont?

Bont seemed to disappear in the second half - was he tagged out of the game.

1eyedog
17-04-2023, 12:18 AM
Bont seemed to disappear in the second half - was he tagged out of the game.

Went forward in the last oddly and was tagged by Drew.

Not sure why this move was made though.

1eyedog
17-04-2023, 12:24 AM
It was a loss, but Lycett had been subbed off so pretty sure either Dixon or Finlayson were in the ruck for the whole last quarter, leaving 2 key forwards. Bruce may have done better in those situations, but we also barely touched the footy in the last 10 minutes.

Finlayson rucked most of the last.

Anyway TOB was exposed because we lost a key player back there and his direct opponent quickly got on top of him.

We were trying to catch water out of the middle though.

merantau
17-04-2023, 05:59 AM
Marshall does the impossible, umpires miss the unmissable, Jamarra's kick touched on the line, Bruce off, English resting, Hannan poleaxed from behind - multiple factors lined up to cruel us.

Ozza
17-04-2023, 08:50 AM
Libbas blind handball into the middle at our half forward.

We had them pinned down. 8pts up.

That handball went straight to Port players which allowed them to finally break through our defence. They then kicked 4 goals pretty quickly.

THIS.

This was the moment - and it cost us the game. We had the game under control and Libba haphazardly flicked it over his shoulder - and everything changed.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-04-2023, 09:42 AM
THIS.

This was the moment - and it cost us the game. We had the game under control and Libba haphazardly flicked it over his shoulder - and everything changed.

Agree.
We all love the amazing vision and skill of Libba in close. But he and our other midfielder still haven't got an appropriate risk management approach in place. That was not the time for Libba to go uber risky like that. The risk to reward ratio did not fit the game's situation.