PDA

View Full Version : 19 Goals at the Dome - Again

The Coon Dog
12-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Funny little stat after our 3 games at the Telstra Dome.

We have kicked 19 goals in all 3 games.

19.12 v Adelaide
19.11 v St.Kilda
19.14 v Essendon

westdog54
12-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Another one that Bruce brought up, it was the first time we'd ever kicked 120 points for 4 consecutive games.

ledge
12-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I can live with it, wouldnt lose too many games.

1eyedog
12-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah roughly 5 goals a quarter should win you MOST footy matches

katemeehan
12-04-2008, 04:51 PM
wow lets hope it stays that way.

BulldogBelle
12-04-2008, 06:12 PM
If we keep this up things will be looking good!

The Coon Dog
20-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Funny little stat after our 3 games at the Telstra Dome.

We have kicked 19 goals in all 3 games.

19.12 v Adelaide
19.11 v St.Kilda
19.14 v Essendon

19.16 today v Richmond.

I wonder if a side has ever played 4 games at the same venue & kicked an identical number of goals in all 4 games?

LostDoggy
20-04-2008, 11:34 PM
If only we had a backline capable of holding the opposition to 80 points a game.

Interesting stat nevertheless.

katemeehan
20-04-2008, 11:37 PM
19.16 today v Richmond.

I wonder if a side has ever played 4 games at the same venue & kicked an identical number of goals in all 4 games?

Sheeesh. Could have some fancy records going on there

bornadog
20-04-2008, 11:41 PM
We kicked 20 but the umpire didn't give us the goal in the 2nd quarter.

1eyedog
21-04-2008, 04:25 PM
We kicked 20 but the umpire didn't give us the goal in the 2nd quarter.

Very true

ledge
21-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I can live with it, wouldnt lose too many games.

Phew that was lucky!!

LostDoggy
21-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I think we are a show to kick 19 against the eagles to.
Provided we dont play how we did against the tigers.

ledge
22-04-2008, 09:17 PM
It's another umpire conspiracy. They're restricting us to 19 goals every game!

Are you Terry Wallace?

bornadog
22-04-2008, 10:37 PM
19.12 v Adelaide
19.11 v St.Kilda
19.14 v Essendon
19.16 v Richmond

19.18 v Weagles (prediction):D

MrMahatma
22-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Is that a good stat, or are we pretty wasteful with the ball up front? What would be the average goals/behinds ratio?

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 12:40 AM
19 goals a game would win most matches. BUT... Against Geelong, we would only kick 10-14 goals and they would still kick 19+ against our weak defense

wb_age
23-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Is that a good stat, or are we pretty wasteful with the ball up front? What would be the average goals/behinds ratio?

Well according to a stat Bruce McAvaney pointed out during the tigers game was that we've been the most accurate team in terms of scoring.

I believe there is still room for improvement from this group.

The Coon Dog
23-04-2008, 06:07 PM
19 goals a game would win most matches. BUT... Against Geelong, we would only kick 10-14 goals and they would still kick 19+ against our weak defenseWe can always count on you jerry when we want to read something that bags our side!

Do you celebrate when we lose?

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 06:23 PM
19.12 v Adelaide
19.11 v St.Kilda
19.14 v Essendon
19.16 v Richmond

19.18 v Weagles (prediction):D

One particularly beautiful set of numbers I'd like to see again is...

ledge
23-04-2008, 06:30 PM
One particularly beautiful set of numbers I'd like to see again is...

20.08 be better!

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 06:36 PM
We can always count on you jerry when we want to read something that bags our side!

Do you celebrate when we lose?

What I saw on Sunday was rubbish, same as the Essendon game. We arnt going to win a flag in the next 3 yrs, blood more kids i say. Get to a more traditional set up

ledge
23-04-2008, 06:46 PM
What I saw on Sunday was rubbish, same as the Essendon game. We arnt going to win a flag in the next 3 yrs, blood more kids i say. Get to a more traditional set up

I dont care if we play the worst game we ever played in our lives, come out with the 4 points and thats all that matters.
Wonder if we played a terrible game in the grand final and won you would still whinge.
Some teams play the game of their lives and still dont win. Eg Richmond

GVGjr
23-04-2008, 06:50 PM

Give us details of your idea of a traditional structure or set-up and which kids you would be playing and who you wouldn't be playing?

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Give us details of your idea of a traditional structure or set-up and which kids you would be playing and who you wouldn't be playing?

Wouldn't of drafted Welsh (although he is a good player, and will be this year),wouldn't play Callan (hasnt got it- though he is nice and hard), prefer not to play Eagleton (has been good player but give the kids a chance. Minson is not a full forward, he is a second rate ruck.

Would drop Harbrow and Hill this week for Stack and Ward. Just keep rotating the kids through. Give Okeefe and a few youngsters a game or 2. We are kidding ourselves if we think we would be competitive come finals time with this side (one against richmond).

GVGjr
23-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Wouldn't of drafted Welsh (although he is a good player, and will be this year),wouldn't play Callan (hasnt got it- though he is nice and hard), prefer not to play Eagleton (has been good player but give the kids a chance. Minson is not a full forward, he is a second rate ruck.

Would drop Harbrow and Hill this week for Stack and Ward. Just keep rotating the kids through. Give Okeefe and a few youngsters a game or 2. We are kidding ourselves if we think we would be competitive come finals time with this side (one against richmond).

So your answer about blooding more kids is by dropping two other youngsters to make room for them? I'm not sure that a couple of games is what I would call blooding a youngster. Generally they need to be given an extended run to get a real benefit not just the one or two you are advocating for O'Keefe.
The extended run worked well with Everitt and Harbrow last year.

Regarding the traditional set-up, your answer is that we shouldn't have used a pre-season pick on Welsh and that Minson will never make it as a forward.
By dropping those two talls how does that return us to a traditional set-up?

Even though we haven't lost a game you don't appear to think that anything has been fixed on last season.

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 07:52 PM
So your answer about blooding more kids is by dropping two other youngsters to make room for them? I'm not sure that a couple of games is what I would call blooding a youngster. Generally they need to be given an extended run to get a real benefit not just the one or two you are advocating for O'Keefe.
The extended run worked well with Everitt and Harbrow last year.

Regarding the traditional set-up, your answer is that we shouldn't have used a pre-season pick on Welsh and that Minson will never make it as a forward.
By dropping those two talls how does that return us to a traditional set-up?

Even though we haven't lost a game you don't appear to think that anything has been fixed on last season.

I said rotate the kids through. Doesnt mean keep them in all year, nothing wrong with sending Hill back to the reserves. And Josh Hill stated in a press conference he gained from his one match taste last year. So would Okeefe , Reid,Grant etc etc
Im not worried about 4.5/5 wins from 5 games im more concerned about a premiership. We havnt played much this year to be honest. Geelong, Brisbane, Hawthorn will be the test.

bornadog
23-04-2008, 07:53 PM

I agree we need to play more kids but you can only play so many, Hill and Harbrow are only 19 and Addison is 20. Everritt is 19 and Williams is 21, Griffen 21. Ward and Stack will get a go but they are babies and need to harden their bodies. Stack played well last week and may get a go in a few weeks time. Grant will also get a go later this year. Higgins is 20 but injured. The future looks bright, smile Jerry.

In the meantime we need to keep winning, and we have the best players available playing.

GVGjr
23-04-2008, 07:57 PM
I said rotate the kids through. Doesnt mean keep them in all year, nothing wrong with sending Hill back to the reserves. And Josh Hill stated in a press conference he gained from his one match taste last year. So would Okeefe , Reid,Grant etc etc
Im not worried about 4.5/5 wins from 5 games im more concerned about a premiership. We havnt played much this year to be honest. Geelong, Brisbane, Hawthorn will be the test.

Help me out with how dropping Welsh and Minson from the forward line returns us to a traditional set-up?

I still maintain rotating youngsters in and out unless their form warrants it will not get us a lot of wins. Last year when the wheels fell off we had 4 or 5 youngsters in the team.

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Help me out with how dropping Welsh and Minson from the forward line returns us to a traditional set-up?

I still maintain rotating youngsters in and out unless their form warrants it will not get us a lot of wins. Last year when the wheels fell off we had 4 or 5 youngsters in the team.

Never said drop Welsh and Minson. I said i wouldnt of drafted Welsh and Minson isnt a forward. Im not that worried about losing games, as Kevin Sheedy said "doesnt matter how many games u lose, its how many u lose on the way to a premiership". or something along those lines.

The Eagles are the perfect model once again. They are down, but there side is filled with quality kids and they will lose games in the next 2 yrs but dominate in 3

GVGjr
23-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Never said drop Welsh and Minson. I said i wouldnt of drafted Welsh and Minson isnt a forward. Im not that worried about losing games, as Kevin Sheedy said "doesnt matter how many games u lose, its how many u lose on the way to a premiership". or something along those lines.

The Eagles are the perfect model once again. They are down, but there side is filled with quality kids and they will lose games in the next 2 yrs but dominate in 3

I'll ask for the 3trd time, how do you return us to the traditional set-up you have talked about?

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 08:51 PM
I'll ask for the 3trd time, how do you return us to the traditional set-up you have talked about?

YOu dont over night. You have to draft well and blood kids

hujsh
23-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Your words are sounding allot like that of a team like Carlton Jerry. We can't play youngsters and loose matches because we would have no members and there would be deportation to WS talk in the media.

OK, i accept that playing younin's can take you to a premiership eventually (ala Hawthorn) but we can't afford to do it

But imagine the Membership numbers if we were something like L W L L L which we could be without Welsh and our experienced players.

hujsh
23-04-2008, 09:29 PM
YOu dont over night. You have to draft well and blood kids

We are drafting well (or at least it seems so) and playing kids.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Jerry, you should shut up now, they're all making you look like a dill.

ledge
23-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Glad GVGjr and Jerry arent drinking in a bar and having this discussion lol

GVGjr
23-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Glad GVGjr and Jerry arent drinking in a bar and having this discussion lol

I'm actually am enjoying this discussion with Jerry. I think Jerry is just talking philosophically rather than dealing with the reality of the playing list that we have and dealing with the 2008 season.
I get most of what he is saying and understand where he is coming from.

1eyedog
23-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Yeah but didn't we go through a drafting process (Cooney, Griffen, Ray, Williams and Everitt) between 2004-2006? These kids are now coming on or showing signs and we are winning matches even when we are playing bad, draft well, blood young kids (see above), I believe we have also drafted well from other clubs, Jerry says Welsh is a good player and will be this year but he wouldn't have drafted him:confused: doesn't make sense. Hudson is also a fantastic acquisition. Minson is a second-rate ruckman yes but he is young, was it Robert Walls who said you need to add an extra year to the development of a player for every inch over 6 foot that he is? Where is the line between finishing low on the ladder, drafting well and trying to win premierships? If Jerry had some kind of rationale to these statements that would be an interesting and valid discussion point for me.

westdog54
24-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm actually am enjoying this discussion with Jerry. I think Jerry is just talking philosophically rather than dealing with the reality of the playing list that we have and dealing with the 2008 season.
I get most of what he is saying and understand where he is coming from.

He's not talking philosophically, he's using cliched, baseless and hollow cop-outs and suggesting absolutely nothing.

He says he wouldn't draft Welsh and that Minson is a second rate ruck but he still says keep them in the side.

He says to 'blood more kids' but he names kids that are nowhere near ready when Callan Ward is just about ready to go.

He's making a fool of himself

LostDoggy
24-04-2008, 11:26 AM
In the next 2yrs we will lose West,Johnson,Akermanis plus Hudson and Welsh arnt young. In 2yrs Gilbee,Hargraves,Gia,Harris,Hahn,Boyd and Morris will be around the 28-29yr bracket. I think we need a mini cleanout and a rethink about where we are headed. Even the most loyal of supporters must be able to see we are just making up the numbers this year in the 8. I think to many Bulldogs members/staff are happy just to make the 8, after 54yrs of mediocrity. We dont need to bottom out ala Carlton 07, we just need to fast track a few kids. Im not sure this is possible with Eade at the helm when he is fighting for his coaching future, but a slight backward step would go a long way to making us a genuine flag contender in 2010.

bornadog
24-04-2008, 01:19 PM
In the next 2yrs we will lose West,Johnson,Akermanis plus Hudson and Welsh arnt young. In 2yrs Gilbee,Hargraves,Gia,Harris,Hahn,Boyd and Morris will be around the 28-29yr bracket. I think we need a mini cleanout and a rethink about where we are headed. Even the most loyal of supporters must be able to see we are just making up the numbers this year in the 8. I think to many Bulldogs members/staff are happy just to make the 8, after 54yrs of mediocrity. We dont need to bottom out ala Carlton 07, we just need to fast track a few kids. Im not sure this is possible with Eade at the helm when he is fighting for his coaching future, but a slight backward step would go a long way to making us a genuine flag contender in 2010.

Which players would go in your mini cleanout and when?

westdog54
25-04-2008, 08:18 PM
In the next 2yrs we will lose West,Johnson,Akermanis plus Hudson and Welsh arnt young. In 2yrs Gilbee,Hargraves,Gia,Harris,Hahn,Boyd and Morris will be around the 28-29yr bracket. I think we need a mini cleanout and a rethink about where we are headed.

Ok, so who do we drop out of that list? Name names.

Even the most loyal of supporters must be able to see we are just making up the numbers this year in the 8.

BS. While we are winning games and undefeated we deserve our spot in the 8. End of story.

I think to many Bulldogs members/staff are happy just to make the 8, after 54yrs of mediocrity. We dont need to bottom out ala Carlton 07, we just need to fast track a few kids.

You failed to mention Ward when you mentioned kids before, despite it being obvious that he is ready to step up. Do you think he should miss out in favour of those that aren't ready when we are sitting 3rd on the ladder? If so, why? If not, what are you trying to say by not including Ward?

Im not sure this is possible with Eade at the helm when he is fighting for his coaching future, but a slight backward step would go a long way to making us a genuine flag contender in 2010.

He's been freed up of his football manager role and can focus entirely on coaching. As a result we sit 3rd.

A slight step backwards means bottom 3/2/wooden spoon. Why do you wish that on a club you claim to support?

And how do you expect us to cope when another 6000 members drop off?

Topdog
27-04-2008, 10:27 AM

So in other words, we lose 3 players (which i doubt btw), 2 other players become old and about 20 odd players get to the prime of the career, whilst most of our KPP's will be under 25? Actually doesn't sound like a shocking position to be in.

Hopefully we don't rush things and give our young players a game or 2 this year without over doing things.

Whilst we are sitting pretty near the top we don't need to make any big changes esp. when 3 players who everyone considered to be in our best 22 are scheduled to come back in the next few weeks.

1eyedog
27-04-2008, 01:46 PM

jerry, I enjoy your controversial posts, but if you are going to make statements like this you need to elaborate on your ideas in order for them to have any meaning or merit, otherwise your just shooting off at the mouth and will be ignored.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Even the most loyal of supporters must be able to see we are just making up the numbers this year in the 8.
I compeltley disagree with that. I would by lying if I said that I thought, that we would be premiers this year, but we have a much stronger list than we did last year and as long as we do not lose to many key players we could definatley make an impact in the finals this year.

Mofra
27-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, the 19 goal hoodoo took quite a bit of breaking didn't it?

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, the 19 goal hoodoo took quite a bit of breaking didn't it?

I KNOW! I was sitting there at three quarter time thinking that, having kicked 19 to this point, surely this is the game we break 19 goals, and then we do everything but score -- hit the post, smothered 10 yards out, drop undroppable marks. It was like a 19 goal curse! But we broke it, finally, off the sweetest boot in the business!

That's ONE (relatively minor) curse gone.

Mofra
28-04-2008, 09:14 PM
I KNOW! I was sitting there at three quarter time thinking that, having kicked 19 to this point, surely this is the game we break 19 goals, and then we do everything but score -- hit the post, smothered 10 yards out, drop undroppable marks. It was like a 19 goal curse! But we broke it, finally, off the sweetest boot in the business!

That's ONE (relatively minor) curse gone.

I reminded my dad of the hoodoo, and he was thinking I was a loon until about 10 minutes into the last quarter.

As soon as I said we hadn't lost a 4th quarter this year, we kicked the goal. Was painful waiting for it, yet I'll take a 20 goal effort with a 10 goal win any round :)