PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Marcus Bontempelli - 200 Games

bornadog
22-04-2023, 10:04 AM
Getting in early.

The Bont will play his 200th game (yes it went fast) against the Hawks next week. Quickly becoming the greatest Bulldog of all time. Already achieved so much and still getting better all the time.

Congrats Bont, you are a star.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/03/04/cfad33e9-fd93-4dcd-9435-5fdfa6517324/lleJOTlh.jpg?width=952&height=592

Grantysghost
22-04-2023, 10:18 AM
Can't wait - should be a brilliant day.

He is the best now I think for me as I have said in other places.

No one has the ability to alter games like he does in my time watching the Dogs.

Hey - who knows he might even be good at this forward lark ;)

Truly blessed to have him.

The statue should be made from that picture too.

EasternWest
22-04-2023, 10:20 AM
The greatest Bulldog that I've seen with my own eyes (which would be an interesting discussion).

Just a wonder to watch. Can do anything, elite hands, tackles and gets down and dirty as well.

Hopefully one day we can marry.

Grantysghost
22-04-2023, 10:22 AM
The greatest Bulldog that I've seen with my own eyes (which would be an interesting discussion).

Just a wonder to watch. Can do anything, elite hands, tackles and gets down and dirty as well.

Over my dead body.

jeemak
22-04-2023, 10:24 AM
Over my dead body.

That'd be an interesting wedding.

EasternWest
22-04-2023, 10:24 AM
Over my dead body.

Don't make this an ever better deal.

Happy Days
22-04-2023, 10:34 AM
200 games wow. I’m not ready for it to be that far over.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 10:50 AM
Time goes so fast. It feels like yesterday he made his debut. Such a wonderful player and does such a good job as the face of the club. I think his game has gone up a notch this year. He is a little more physical and angry around the contest. He has grown into the captaincy role.

I think he is now the best Bulldog I have seen play for our wonderful club. Going past my childhood hero Doug Hawkins and the Rolls Royce Chris Grant.

I have so much gratitude that we get to see him run around in the hoops every weekend.

westdog54
22-04-2023, 08:53 PM
If I've read afltables correctly, he's missed only 9 possible matches since debuting in round 5 2014. He's only 27 and, using Scott Pendlebury as a yardstick, has at least 8 more seasons left in him, possibly more if we managed him well.

He could play 400.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2023, 09:00 PM
Massive achievement.

Wonder how many he’ll end up with?

Libba will be shattered to miss it.

D Mitchell
22-04-2023, 09:12 PM
About all I have in common with the Bont is that we were both educated in Schools conducted by, or, in Bont's case, in the tradition of, the Marist Brothers, a Catholic, French Order of men dedicated to the education of the poor of Marseilles (Marcellin ? Hawthorn, Bulleen). From my seat at docklands, that first goal against Melbourne, human beings can't do that. The Bont's the best footballer I've ever seen, yes, even better than Ted.

1eyedog
23-04-2023, 10:28 AM
Gotta stick up for EJ here. If Bont is racing towards one of the best 5 players to ever play the game he's racing towards our greatest ever. EJ was a movie star and regularly polls in the top 5 players to ever play.

Let's not forget that Ted could do everything as well and was made captain of the AFL's team of the century. His nickname was given while he played not while he was a commentator.

Would Bont even be top 20?

Maybe he will be one day but EJ has him well covered.

I'll admit that Bont is moving into full beast mode again now he has confidence in his body.

Hope he has another big match this weekend.

azabob
23-04-2023, 04:00 PM
Gotta stick up for EJ here. If Bont is racing towards one of the best 5 players to ever play the game he's racing towards our greatest ever. EJ was a movie star and regularly polls in the top 5 players to ever play.

Let's not forget that Ted could do everything as well and was made captain of the AFL's team of the century. His nickname was given while he played not while he was a commentator.

Would Bont even be top 20?

Maybe he will be one day but EJ has him well covered.

I'll admit that Bont is moving into full beast mode again now he has confidence in his body.

Hope he has another big match this weekend.

Not sure why you?ve gone down this path?
This thread is about celebrating Bontempelli achievement in reaching 200 games not a debate if he is the best ever player to pull on the red, white and blue.

whythelongface
23-04-2023, 04:57 PM
What an absolute legend the Bont is. I can still remember that goal he kicked against Melbourne way back in 2014. We are so blessed to have him put on the RW&B week in week out.

Mofra
23-04-2023, 06:08 PM
This thread is about celebrating Bontempelli achievement in reaching 200 games not a debate if he is the best ever player to pull on the red, white and blue.
The fact Bont is in that conversation is a fair indicator of just how good he is. We're going back 60 years to find a comparable player. Bont has been that good.

EasternWest
23-04-2023, 07:41 PM
not a debate if he is the best ever player to pull on the red, white and blue.

That's because it isn't. Bont is.

1eyedog
23-04-2023, 09:06 PM

Only because posters mentioned him as the best ever. I disagreed. It's a forum isn't it?

Its being discussed externally by journalists (Barrett is one on AFL.com) as well.

jeemak
23-04-2023, 11:18 PM
He's not quite at Grant's level, and I never saw EJ.

Grant's the best CHB I've seen, and kicked 554 as a maligned shoulda Brownlow winning forward.......I think we forget how dogshit average everyone around Grant was a lot of the time when we were always saying "we need two of him".

I love Bont but let's just leave it to later when trying to figure out how he fits in with our all time greats. There's a really perverse want in supporters to anoint someone as a generational best player. It doesn't make sense and takes away from the enjoyment of watching him for mine.

It's been an amazing ride to date, sometimes frustrating, but mostly inspiring and something we should all be grateful for.

jeemak
23-04-2023, 11:21 PM
Only because posters mentioned him as the best ever. I disagreed. It's a forum isn't it?

Its being discussed externally by journalists (Barrett is one on AFL.com) as well.

Shit, I didn't see this kerfuffle before I posted.

Aza's going to be after me big time.........

Dogs 24/7
23-04-2023, 11:55 PM
Hes right up there with the best I have seen at our club but I cant say hes the best yet.
Well done Bont, here is to the next 100 games.

Eastdog
24-04-2023, 01:01 AM
An excellent player. Been great to have watched his career progress week in week out. Congrats on 200 games Bont and many more to come.

Mantis
24-04-2023, 09:36 AM
He's not quite at Grant's level, and I never saw EJ.

Grant's the best CHB I've seen, and kicked 554 as a maligned shoulda Brownlow winning forward.......I think we forget how dogshit average everyone around Grant was a lot of the time when we were always saying "we need two of him".

I love Bont but let's just leave it to later when trying to figure out how he fits in with our all time greats. There's a really perverse want in supporters to anoint someone as a generational best player. It doesn't make sense and takes away from the enjoyment of watching him for mine.

It's been an amazing ride to date, sometimes frustrating, but mostly inspiring and something we should all be grateful for.

So, in one breath you can share your opinion and tell us all that Grant was better than Bont, but with the next breath the rest of us need to wait too later on... seriously?

Grantysghost
24-04-2023, 09:43 AM

He's the best ;)

azabob
24-04-2023, 09:58 AM

Yep it is a forum but I sometimes wonder about the choice of threads we as a community make comments on. I find that in positive threads we sometimes give them a negative tone and I'm not sure why.

FWIW only one poster pre your initial comment made the call Bontempelli was the best ever.

bornadog
24-04-2023, 10:23 AM
Yep it is a forum but I sometimes wonder about the choice of threads we as a community make comments on. I find that in positive threads we sometimes give them a negative tone and I'm not sure why.

FWIW only one poster pre your initial comment made the call Bontempelli was the best ever.
Bont's debut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XEEEvzXeKo&t=7s

jeemak
24-04-2023, 10:55 AM
So, in one breath you can share your opinion and tell us all that Grant was better than Bont, but with the next breath the rest of us need to wait too later on... seriously?

Sorry, it was more a comment on what I think than what everyone else should do. Knock yourselves out, compare away.

The bulldog tragician
24-04-2023, 11:07 AM
Bont's debut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XEEEvzXeKo&t=7s

My god. What a time capsule that is with the players around him that weren’t even in our premiership team two years later.

One vivid memory I have of young Bont is him being on Fox footy and Boozehound Robbo asked if he was disappointed when drafted by the Dogs. Bont looked affronted and his answer was, as so much of him always is, perfect. About it being a great club, and being proud to be there. Well we were far from great at that bleak time, but he was such a big part of turning things around. Bont the person is equally as good as Bont the player. His badge, with that dorky and raw look that is captured in this video, was on my scarf on premiership day. We’ve been so lucky to have him and I just hope so much we see him in another premiership team in our colours.

EasternWest
24-04-2023, 11:15 AM

Don't tax my gig so hardcore cruster.

I love Bont but let's just leave it to later when trying to figure out how he fits in with our all time greats.

You're not my Dad.

bornadog
24-04-2023, 12:05 PM
How good was the Bont on Friday night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpCgddDl080

hujsh
24-04-2023, 12:10 PM
How good was the Bont on Friday night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpCgddDl080

I love those clearing handballs giving us space and momentum. Much better than working the phonebox until we run out of options

Bulldog Revolution
24-04-2023, 12:18 PM
Incredible footballer, incredible role model to his teammates, our club and it supporters

Gatorade should consider updating its 'Be like Mike' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AGiq9j_Ak
to 'Be like Bont'

bornadog
24-04-2023, 12:35 PM
In sickness and in health, Bont's legend continues to grow (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1314982/in-sickness-and-in-health-bont-s-legend-continues-to-grow)

The all-time great players never make excuses.

Marcus Bontempelli could have hidden behind injuries and illness in 2022. Instead he toiled through all but one of the Western Bulldogs' 23 matches. Lingering sickness as well as a damaged foot and adductor problem curtailed his normally extraordinary standards. He was merely an OK contributor in a season that ended in an elimination final. He 'only' finished fourth in the best-and-fairest, a placing that would be a source of pride for mere mortals but one that was Bontempelli's lowest in that award since his debut 2014 season.

But Bontempelli is back to his best in 2023. Fully fit, he has resumed being brilliant weekly, with round six's performance against Fremantle in Perth being near-perfect. His cleanness with disposal, even with some handballs that had maximum degrees of difficulty attached, destroyed the Dockers.

At 0-2 after losses to Melbourne and St Kilda, the Bulldogs' season was looming as worrying. Bontempelli has led the way out of the danger zone, steering his side to wins against Brisbane and Richmond, a more than acceptable loss against Port Adelaide in round five before his commanding output last Friday night.

I argued in this column in May, 2021 that Bontempelli had already established himself as the greatest modern era Bulldog, and possibly the club's best-ever. And while his 2022 season was his least effective since he was an 18-year-old straight out of school starting out in the AFL world, it enhanced his greatness because of the adversity he endured.

There will be Bulldogs' diehards who will never allow anyone to be judged greater than Ted Whitten. Chris Grant, Doug Hawkins, Brad Johnson, John Schultz and Gary Dempsey are other Dogs' greats in this conversation.

In 2014, Bontempelli's first year, he was somehow overlooked as the official Rising Star. In the eight seasons since, his finishes in the best-and-fairest award have been, in order, third, first, first, third, first, second, first, fourth. Add to that All-Australian blazers in 2016, 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Winning a best-and-fairest in his third year in a premiership-winning season as a 20-year-old was an extraordinary achievement. Also, I keep saying to those interested in revisiting that year's Grand Final ? please take note of Bontempelli's flawless 22-disposal, six-clearance, seven-tackle, nine-hitout performance. This is taking nothing away from the deeds that day of Jason Johannisen, Tom Boyd and Liam Picken, but The Bont would have been a worthy Norm Smith Medallist.

On that biggest of stages in that win against Sydney, he was two months short of turning 21. He actually captained the Bulldogs that year, when Bob Murphy and Easton Wood missed with injury, becoming the youngest ever in the VFL/AFL to carry such status, and has been permanent Bulldogs skipper since the start of 2020.

He has been incredibly durable, too. He played 16 matches in his first season and has missed just six since the start of 2015, and has regularly played hurt. Game No.200 arrives next Saturday against Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium.

To me, Bontempelli deserves to win a Brownlow Medal. He very nearly did in 2021, polling 33 votes against Ollie Wines? 36.

Fully fit again in 2023, he's poised beautifully to do so. Not that he would care too much, given he has only ever focused on his team.

kruder
24-04-2023, 01:15 PM
The Bont is and will be the best Bulldog ever period. We are incredibly lucky to have him and we should have 40k plus there this week showing our appreciation.

The only down side for me is that Libba isn't playing in his 200th, you know he would have been giving his all to help us celebrate the Bont in the right way.

jazzadogs
24-04-2023, 01:16 PM
In sickness and in health, Bont's legend continues to grow (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1314982/in-sickness-and-in-health-bont-s-legend-continues-to-grow)

The all-time great players never make excuses.

Marcus Bontempelli could have hidden behind injuries and illness in 2022. Instead he toiled through all but one of the Western Bulldogs' 23 matches. Lingering sickness as well as a damaged foot and adductor problem curtailed his normally extraordinary standards. He was merely an OK contributor in a season that ended in an elimination final. He 'only' finished fourth in the best-and-fairest, a placing that would be a source of pride for mere mortals but one that was Bontempelli's lowest in that award since his debut 2014 season.

But Bontempelli is back to his best in 2023. Fully fit, he has resumed being brilliant weekly, with round six's performance against Fremantle in Perth being near-perfect. His cleanness with disposal, even with some handballs that had maximum degrees of difficulty attached, destroyed the Dockers.

At 0-2 after losses to Melbourne and St Kilda, the Bulldogs' season was looming as worrying. Bontempelli has led the way out of the danger zone, steering his side to wins against Brisbane and Richmond, a more than acceptable loss against Port Adelaide in round five before his commanding output last Friday night.

I argued in this column in May, 2021 that Bontempelli had already established himself as the greatest modern era Bulldog, and possibly the club's best-ever. And while his 2022 season was his least effective since he was an 18-year-old straight out of school starting out in the AFL world, it enhanced his greatness because of the adversity he endured.

There will be Bulldogs' diehards who will never allow anyone to be judged greater than Ted Whitten. Chris Grant, Doug Hawkins, Brad Johnson, John Schultz and Gary Dempsey are other Dogs' greats in this conversation.

In 2014, Bontempelli's first year, he was somehow overlooked as the official Rising Star. In the eight seasons since, his finishes in the best-and-fairest award have been, in order, third, first, first, third, first, second, first, fourth. Add to that All-Australian blazers in 2016, 2019, 2020 and 2021.

Winning a best-and-fairest in his third year in a premiership-winning season as a 20-year-old was an extraordinary achievement. Also, I keep saying to those interested in revisiting that year's Grand Final ? please take note of Bontempelli's flawless 22-disposal, six-clearance, seven-tackle, nine-hitout performance. This is taking nothing away from the deeds that day of Jason Johannisen, Tom Boyd and Liam Picken, but The Bont would have been a worthy Norm Smith Medallist.

On that biggest of stages in that win against Sydney, he was two months short of turning 21. He actually captained the Bulldogs that year, when Bob Murphy and Easton Wood missed with injury, becoming the youngest ever in the VFL/AFL to carry such status, and has been permanent Bulldogs skipper since the start of 2020.

He has been incredibly durable, too. He played 16 matches in his first season and has missed just six since the start of 2015, and has regularly played hurt. Game No.200 arrives next Saturday against Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium.

To me, Bontempelli deserves to win a Brownlow Medal. He very nearly did in 2021, polling 33 votes against Ollie Wines? 36.

Fully fit again in 2023, he's poised beautifully to do so. Not that he would care too much, given he has only ever focused on his team.

Worth noting that article is written by Barrett, who seems to have calmed down a lot in the last few years and let Kane Cornes take the mantle as chief dickhead in AFL media.

jazzadogs
24-04-2023, 01:26 PM
My god. What a time capsule that is with the players around him that weren’t even in our premiership team two years later.

Tom Williams, Talia and Tom Young our tall defenders in that game. 14 touches and 5 tackles on debut for Bont.

Across his career he is averaging 24 touches a game, with 5 clearances, 5 tackles and nearly one goal a game (185 so far).

He's such a great representative for our club. Garlick is spot on in that video - his physical characteristics are amazing, but his character is what makes him great.

Curly5
24-04-2023, 02:06 PM
What an absolute legend the Bont is. I can still remember that goal he kicked against Melbourne way back in 2014. We are so blessed to have him put on the RW&B week in week out.

AND it never got Goal of the Year - curse these popularity comps.
What's the bloke who pipped him for Rising Star doing these days? Loomis Somethingorother?

D Mitchell
24-04-2023, 02:18 PM

Wasn't it astounding. I was sitting in a direct line with the goal mouth and Bont. I couldn't believe what I had seen

https://www.google.com/search?q=bontempelli%27s+first+goal&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBAU982AU982&oq=bontempelli%27s+first+goal&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30j0i390i650l4.8509j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:e0c33065,vid:2wiwNC3UkP8

Both Whitten and Bont played in Premierships as 21 year olds then, a few years later (5 for Bont, 7 for Ted) captained losing Grand Finalist teams in the first year of new decades.

Happy Days
24-04-2023, 02:21 PM
Bont’s been robbed of a Brownlow, Rising Star, GOTY, and probably a Norm Smith Medal. Hopefully there’s a make good coming on at least three of those soon.

SonofScray
24-04-2023, 05:56 PM
Marcus is a terrific footballer.

He set such a high standard from the get go and has rarely dipped below it, growing his game year on year even through adversity. Few of our players have been quite as complete a footballer as he is. He is capable in every facet of the game, usually at a level that is comfortably up there with the best we’ve seen. Physical stuff? He’s bloody good at it. Classy stuff? He’s bloody good at it. Aerial stuff? He’s bloody good at it.

An extremely fair, well mannered player. The absolute model sportsman.

There’s so much I hate about footy and the type of men that get celebrated in the game. Boof head idiot ex player media circle jerk over shit behaviour and poor sportsmanship like it somehow reflects on how tough they are, or how good they were. Marcus is the antithesis of all that. Bloke is a real man, playing a man’s game.

If he was my son, I’d be unbelievably proud of him.

D Mitchell
24-04-2023, 06:42 PM

He set such a high standard from the get go and has rarely dipped below it, growing his game year on year even through adversity. Few of our players have been quite as complete a footballer as he is. He is capable in every facet of the game, usually at a level that is comfortably up there with the best we’ve seen. Physical stuff? He’s bloody good at it. Classy stuff? He’s bloody good at it. Aerial stuff? He’s bloody good at it.

There’s so much I hate about footy and the type of men that get celebrated in the game. Boof head idiot ex player media circle jerk over shit behaviour and poor sportsmanship like it somehow reflects on how tough they are, or how good they were. Marcus is the antithesis of all that. Bloke is a real man, playing a man’s game.

If he was my son, I’d be unbelievably proud of him.

The beard doesn't suit him, he has to have at least one fault. Grant, Schultz were/are cut from the same cloth.

D Mitchell
24-04-2023, 06:51 PM
Worth noting that article is written by Barrett, who seems to have calmed down a lot in the last few years and let Kane Cornes take the mantle as chief dickhead in AFL media.

Eh ? Barrett's pinching Bornadog's work ?

"...please take note of Bontempelli's flawless 22-disposal, six-clearance, seven-tackle, nine-hitout performance..."

It's a pity there wasn't a break tackle stat that day. I have a mate who is as footy-mad as anyone you've ever met. Bont made the mistake of approaching the fence where my mate was standing on the players' victory lap(s). My mate leaned over the fence, grabbed Bont and gave him the biggest bear hug ever. It was captured on TV. A few days later another mate of mine, interstate, rang me and said "I saw your mad mate L...y on TV. That was the only tackle Bont didn't break all afternoon.

EasternWest
24-04-2023, 07:38 PM
Eh ? Barrett's pinching Bornadog's work ?

"...please take note of Bontempelli's flawless 22-disposal, six-clearance, seven-tackle, nine-hitout performance..."

It's a pity there wasn't a break tackle stat that day. I have a mate who is as footy-mad as anyone you've ever met. Bont made the mistake of approaching the fence where my mate was standing on the players' victory lap(s). My mate leaned over the fence, grabbed Bont and gave him the biggest bear hug ever. It was captured on TV. A few days later another mate of mine, interstate, rang me and said "I saw your mad mate L...y on TV. That was the only tackle Bont didn't break all afternoon.

Such a L..y move.

Great story though. Hard to believe it's been 7 years.

dalek
24-04-2023, 07:58 PM
Congratulations on reaching 200 games, Marcus.

D Mitchell
24-04-2023, 08:19 PM
Tomorrow's ANZAC Day. Lest we forget.

Happy Days
24-04-2023, 09:18 PM
Also unrelated Bont story that I can’t remember whether I’ve mentioned before but on the morning of the (real) Grand Final I saw him out the side window of my car going for a run, which seems insane to me but whatever. We looked at each other and before I could say anything encouraging he gave me a knowing nod, and I knew everything was gonna be okay that day.

azabob
24-04-2023, 09:28 PM
Also unrelated Bont story that I can’t remember whether I’ve mentioned before but on the morning of the (real) Grand Final I saw him out the side window of my car going for a run, which seems insane to me but whatever. We looked at each other and before I could say anything encouraging he gave me a knowing nod, and I knew everything was gonna be okay that day.

I now anoint you TwoDogs 2.0

EasternWest
24-04-2023, 09:29 PM
Also unrelated Bont story that I can?t remember whether I?ve mentioned before but on the morning of the (real) Grand Final I saw him out the side window of my car going for a run, which seems insane to me but whatever. We looked at each other and before I could say anything encouraging he gave me a knowing nod, and I knew everything was gonna be okay that day.

I dunno man, that's sounds more like a lucid dream.

Matjoh
24-04-2023, 09:29 PM
Pinching sonofScray stuff here but its so apt that it needs repeating because it's worth repeating and was what i was thinking too

Thanks sonofScray

Dogs 24/7
24-04-2023, 10:27 PM
Pinching sonofScray stuff here but its so apt that it needs repeating because it's worth repeating and was what i was thinking too

Thanks sonofScray

SOS is a gun contributor and I agree with both of you.

Happy Days
25-04-2023, 01:23 AM
I dunno man, that's sounds more like a lucid dream.

If I didn’t have a witness I’d swear it didn’t happen too. He was wearing a Boston Red Sox cap.

EasternWest
25-04-2023, 04:59 PM
If I didn’t have a witness I’d swear it didn’t happen too. He was wearing a Boston Red Sox cap.

https://i.postimg.cc/c4N3Jxs5/images-34.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Not a reliable witness.

Bulldog4life
26-04-2023, 02:35 AM

That line is worth much more than just a like. I love it. Can I be Matron of Honour?

EasternWest
26-04-2023, 08:15 AM
Can I be Matron of Honour?

I wouldn't have it any other way.

bornadog
26-04-2023, 10:14 AM
Some of Bont's great goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdxsoLM_5do

The bulldog tragician
26-04-2023, 11:19 AM
Some of Bont's great goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdxsoLM_5do
I heard Tom Boyd comment on THAT goal in the PF. That it was so much more difficult than it looked, to be running full pelt and control the ball by paddling it out in front and be able to steady and steer it through. What a talent our Bont is.

bornadog
26-04-2023, 11:32 AM
Bont on SEN today listen here (https://twitter.com/SENBreakfast/status/1650982883920850944)

chef
26-04-2023, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'll make the cake.

EasternWest
26-04-2023, 12:12 PM
I'll make the cake.

I dunno, you've hurt me too many times before.

chef
26-04-2023, 12:15 PM
I dunno, you've hurt me too many times before.

Im supplying 25 places for you to choose from, what more can I do?

chef
26-04-2023, 12:15 PM
Bont/Helmet double header on Saturday. Bring it on.

EasternWest
26-04-2023, 04:23 PM
Im supplying 25 places for you to choose from, what more can I do?

A 26th, obviously.

bornadog
26-04-2023, 04:39 PM
Bont press conference here (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1316636/marcus-bontempelli-lucky-to-be-part-of-such-a-privileged-space-?videoId=1316636&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1682479512001)

bornadog
26-04-2023, 06:02 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuswkftaYAEDiZ9?format=jpg&name=medium

The bulldog tragician
26-04-2023, 09:11 PM
My blog about The Great One.
https://www.bulldogtragician.com/blog-posts/the-bont-years

Grantysghost
26-04-2023, 09:27 PM
I hereby decree : all WOOF AVATARS should be the great man until Sunday.

Plus share any Bont stories.

I stood on his foot at a player sponsors function, and felt sick for a week thinking he'd be out the following game.

EasternWest
26-04-2023, 09:42 PM

I stood on his foot at a player sponsors function, and felt sick for a week thinking he'd be out the following game.

Look I love Bont as much as anyone but nobody replaces DFA.

angelopetraglia
26-04-2023, 09:47 PM

Ha .....

angelopetraglia
26-04-2023, 09:50 PM

I'm sticking with the #38 for Petraglia to recognise the fine contribution of those with Italian heritage.

Liberatore x 2
Giansiracusa
Dimattina
Contessa
Delmenico
Pagnoccolo
BONTEMPELLI

Go_Dogs
26-04-2023, 09:51 PM

Why just until Sunday? Seems a bit off.

GVGjr
26-04-2023, 09:52 PM

Done :)

Happy Days
26-04-2023, 10:23 PM

I agree. In the sense that it required no one to replace DFA.

Happy Days
26-04-2023, 10:25 PM
Anyway I tried telling a Mark Bont story and EW called me a liar. So now you’ll never hear about the time I saw him at the supermarket, or the time I accidentally sat at his table at a restaurant.

FrediKanoute
26-04-2023, 10:55 PM
He is almost perfect. Needs to produce a young Bont so we have a father son in 18 or so years! One Bont is not enough

D Mitchell
26-04-2023, 11:02 PM
I'm sticking with the #38 for Petraglia to recognise the fine contribution of those with Italian heritage.

Liberatore x 2
Giansiracusa
Dimattina
Contessa
Delmenico
Pagnoccolo
BONTEMPELLI

You missed a few

Eduardo Whittena
Cristoforo Grantini
Briano Cordi
Simone Beasli
Raimondo Walka
Giorgio Bissetta
Luca Darci

bornadog
26-04-2023, 11:10 PM
My blog about The Great One.
https://www.bulldogtragician.com/blog-posts/the-bont-years

Great read once more.

bornadog
26-04-2023, 11:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UHmYcEEcSw

JanLorMill
26-04-2023, 11:28 PM
You missed a few

Raimondo Walka

There is no K in the Italian alphabet

JanLorMill
26-04-2023, 11:30 PM

Liberatore x 2
Giansiracusa
Dimattina
Contessa
Delmenico
Pagnoccolo
BONTEMPELLI
Delre
Dinatale
Macri
Guzzuppe
Talia

azabob
27-04-2023, 09:45 AM
Anyway I tried telling a Mark Bont story and EW called me a liar. So now you?ll never hear about the time I saw him at the supermarket, or the time I accidentally sat at his table at a restaurant.

TwoDogs 2.0 at it again...

EasternWest
27-04-2023, 10:35 AM
I agree. In the sense that it required no one to replace DFA.

Sometimes I wonder if you even have a heart.

Anyway I tried telling a Mark Bont story and EW called me a liar. So now you?ll never hear about the time I saw him at the supermarket, or the time I accidentally sat at his table at a restaurant.

Liar is a strong word. Besides, I trust you. But Frank the rabbit is a different story.

jeemak
27-04-2023, 11:32 AM

I saw him at Leo's in Kew.

Daughter of the West
27-04-2023, 05:30 PM

There?s so much I hate about footy and the type of men that get celebrated in the game. Boof head idiot ex player media circle jerk over shit behaviour and poor sportsmanship like it somehow reflects on how tough they are, or how good they were. Marcus is the antithesis of all that. Bloke is a real man, playing a man?s game.

All of this in spades. Not only is he an incredible athlete, he is an incredible person.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I have told my boys that if they wish to ever be footballers they are to model themselves on the Bont and no one else, both on and off the field.

We are so very, very lucky to have him.

Mitcha
28-04-2023, 12:19 PM
I have no words other than to say this.
Some players win Best and Fairests (think Scott West, Daniel Cross).
Some players win games with 15 minutes of brilliance (think Jake Stringer).
Then there are the types that do BOTH and that underlines the greatness that is the Bont.

bornadog
28-04-2023, 05:53 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuxZ5mNaYAIpyQl?format=jpg&name=medium

Bulldog Legend
29-04-2023, 10:42 AM
I was watching from the opposite end forward pocket and you could see from the moment he touched the ball he knew where the goals were knew what he wanted to do and knew his skill would be the opponents
How it didn?t win goal of the year was as mysterious as not winning the rising star award

Bulldog Legend
29-04-2023, 10:43 AM
We won’t see another like him so let’s enjoy him whilst we have him!

jeemak
29-04-2023, 11:31 AM
I was watching from the opposite end forward pocket and you could see from the moment he touched the ball he knew where the goals were knew what he wanted to do and knew his skill would be the opponents
How it didn?t win goal of the year was as mysterious as not winning the rising star award

I think unfortunately the goal of the year was/ is voted by the footy public online, so the Port crowd got behind the Port guy. As for the Rising Star, there's a thread where people are pretty salty as it seemed there was a widespread "fix" across footy people/ media to give it to the crab.

Grantysghost
29-04-2023, 11:33 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuxZ5mNaYAIpyQl?format=jpg&name=medium

No I am Arthur.

ratsmac
29-04-2023, 11:51 AM
This was posted on a Western Bulldogs forum on Facebook. Now I don't know if Cliff Barclay is a member of WOOF, but with level headed posts like this he shouldn't be on Facebook!

People have began to compare the Bont to the great EJ Whitten. Impossible to imagine once it would have been considered sacrilegious. EJ was a giant, there was no one like him. A player who could play at any end of the ground, captain of the AFL’s team of the century. A premiership player. A one time games record holder. He had a stand named after him, a ground, a bridge, a medal and two statues. He was on the TV, while still playing he hosted the footy panel, he even commentated on the wrestling, and was an absolute media star. Considered by many of his era to be the greatest player ever. There is no-one else that footy has honoured so. When sick and dying, he said good bye to adoring crowds at the MCG. Everyone loved him. However it was more than just his football that set him apart. He was a loveable rascal, he had cheek and humour. His character for many represented everything they wanted in a footballer, our captain. He was special. The Bont is different in many ways but his character too looms large over the Bulldogs. From the time he kicked that unbelievable goal as an 18 year old against Melbourne he has always been a match winner. Courageous, authentic, caring and honest. He is a true leader. Like EJ he won a Premiership while young and later captained us to a Grand final. Like EJ his presence on the ground is impossible to miss. Like EJ he is more than just a player. We need to enjoy him while we have got him. We are watching the impossible happen. Someone is actually climbing the stairs to stand beside EJ as a peer.

Here here Cliff!

Jeanette54
29-04-2023, 12:02 PM
I was never old enough to have seen Allan Hopkins play, but my Grandfather did, and he named him as the best Bulldog ever to pull his boots on. I am old enough (and lucky enough) to have seen much of EJ's great career, and I always felt he was the greatest Bulldog ever. Charie Sutton, quite rightly, also has his supporters when it comes to this mantle.

It's never been just about pure football ability, plenty of others have had that in spades, but it's about the man. Respect isn't given easily; it has to be earned.

And you Marcus, are now regularly spoken of as being worthy of inclusion in this very exclusive group. The fact that you have achieved this rare honour in only two hundred games speaks volumes about the type of man you have showed us that you are.

Go out and enjoy your 200th, safe in the knowledge we both love and respect you.

azabob
03-05-2023, 08:26 PM
https://youtu.be/_ByJSMcmc3M

azabob
03-05-2023, 08:29 PM
Kudos to Bont and the club for pulling this together.

jeemak
03-05-2023, 10:31 PM
The pregame content was excellent, awesome stuff from the club.

You can also tell how much of a box ticking exercise it seemed as the game wrapped and the song was sung.