PDA

View Full Version : Bankers & Anchors: Rnd 7, 2023 vs Hawthorn

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-04-2023, 04:38 PM
This is the Round 7, 2023 edition of the weekly Bankers and Anchors thread. Once the game against Hawthorn is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

westbulldog
29-04-2023, 08:31 PM
Bankers
Bontempelli, for his 200 outstanding games.
Dogs fans who went along to Marvel to support the Bont's milestone.
Oscar Baker, another good game.

Anchors
Jason Dunstall on Fox 1. "commentating" a Hawthorn game and 2. whinging about the free kicks we are given.
Umpires - 4 is too many, weekly instances of one umpire overruling another.
Cody Weightman, went awol.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-04-2023, 08:55 PM
Bankers

Ed Richards - he's becoming such a critical and reliable performer.
Caleb Daniel - superb game
Bont- his 4 goal assists were so important.

Anchors

Scott- some of his defensive work was very good, but his fumbliness and some poor kicking was disappointing.
Weightman - just blot this game out from your memory and move forward.
Our on ball team in first half- absolutely blanked at centre clearances.

Mofra
29-04-2023, 09:05 PM
Bankers:
Oscar Baker - at a guess his metres gained would be up near the pointy end. Just a "moves it forward" player
Arty - god we need his energy forward. Max effort
Naughton - a commanding presence inside 50

Anchors
Our lack of energy in the first half - did anyone know it was a milestone game?
We lost our shape ahead of the ball a few times, meaning we had to go back to the bad old days (Johnno playing lone KPF) as we tried to maintain possession up the field by over-possessing it.
Weightman was a bit flat, but he went back to flying for marks when out of position while the talls are there. Stay down a but more son

bornadog
29-04-2023, 09:20 PM
Anchors
Our lack of energy in the first half - did anyone know it was a milestone game?

The only thing I can say is coming back from Perth and being away for so long may have zapped some energy

Dry Rot
29-04-2023, 09:39 PM
Bankers
Daniel is an interesting and effective ground level mid
Good to see JJ flying
Baker does what he needs to very well

Anchors
Keath often looks very disturbed with ball in hand
Why do two of our tall forwards fly for the same ball and spoil each other?
Forward delivery is still mostly high bomb rubbish

whythelongface
29-04-2023, 09:48 PM
Bankers

1. Winning ugly, whilst not gaining fans, is better than losing any day of the week. Good effort for roughing it out.
2. Changing our game plan in the 2nd half. We were able to break even In clearances in the 2nd half and nullify their impact. Good coaching
3. Our wings Baker and Williams are playing good consistent football- finding the footy and space. Well done.

Anchors
1. Still trying to figure out our game plan. Looked good last week but this week we didn’t spread as much.
2. Our first half was putrid. Do that against the big boys and it is game over.
3. Hawthorns guernsey- I thought our changed strip was average. Hawthorn’s guernsey must be the worst of the worst. Not a banker for us but hey want to put it out there.

azabob
29-04-2023, 09:49 PM
Bankers
1. Naughton is such a rare player. Our second most important player.
2. Kudos to the midfield turning it around and the team grinding out a five goal win.
3. Bontempelli just because.

Anchors
1. The midfielders in the first half
2. Lobb is fast becoming a liability. Not sure what we are going to do with him.
3. Letting the hawks get a couple of late goals

dalek
29-04-2023, 09:52 PM
The only thing I can say is coming back from Perth and being away for so long may have zapped some energy

Plus the 2 hard games in teeming rain before going to Perth.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2023, 11:35 PM
1. Crowd attendance. Great to see.

2. Baker. I'm becoming a big fan of his discipline to hold width and then run hard to positively move the ball forward. Using it well too.

3. Arty Jones is improving. Brings energy, has great agility and makes good decisions. Plenty to work with.

Anchors:

1. Melbourne's infrastructure. Footscray road closures plus all the tunnel works. There's essentially a decent stretch of road where there's only 2 lanes to get back towards Geelong. Infrastructure in Melbourne is horrendous.

2. Scott. I'm not sure what his role actually is but I don't think we're getting enough. I don't mind him as a player but I think he needs a spell in the VFL.

3. Forwards. At times we just don't move and instead want the 'long ball'. A number of times we had the ball and were looking for an option, but our forwards refused to lead. A long ball is forced, and Naughton/Lobb/Marra are all within arm's reach of one another along with their opponents. Good luck marking that.

bornadog
30-04-2023, 12:08 AM
Bankers

1. Arty first goal in AFL - has worked hard for it.

2. The support for Bont by the attendance

3. JJ's running goal - great to watch.

Anchors

1. Weightman - just couldn't get into the game

2. The continual long bombing into the F50 - frustrating to watch

3. Treloar's first half, abysmal - to his credit he did turn it around

jazzadogs
30-04-2023, 01:02 AM
Bankers
- The move back to defence for JJ. He has been back to his best - and funnily enough Bailey Dale has been really struggling. Perhaps it's time for him to move back to the forward line and complete the loop?

- Arty getting his first goal. Stoked for him. I thought it was his best game even before the goal, but glad to see him finish it off.

- a great crowd, including my little three month old boy in his knitted cardigan and earmuffs. The only thing he cared about were the flashing lights on the roof, but I don't think he missed much out on the ground. I had a lot of fun getting to take my boy to a game for the first time.

Anchors
- lack of intensity, particularly over 50/50 ground balls. Caleb Daniel had one that is stuck in my mind. Not good enough.

- I thought English worked his way into the game, but overall a disappointing night against two very young ruckmen. He has set a very high bar for himself so far this year and I don't think he reached the level tonight.

- the standard of umpiring across all games is as bad as ever. Letting players spin two full loops before disposing is putting then at massive risk of being dumped and hitting their head. Blow the whistle.

josie
30-04-2023, 01:42 AM
Bankers
- The move back to defence for JJ. He has been back to his best - and funnily enough Bailey Dale has been really struggling. Perhaps it's time for him to move back to the forward line and complete the loop?

- Arty getting his first goal. Stoked for him. I thought it was his best game even before the goal, but glad to see him finish it off.

- a great crowd, including my little three month old boy in his knitted cardigan and earmuffs. The only thing he cared about were the flashing lights on the roof, but I don't think he missed much out on the ground. I had a lot of fun getting to take my boy to a game for the first time.

Anchors
- lack of intensity, particularly over 50/50 ground balls. Caleb Daniel had one that is stuck in my mind. Not good enough.

- I thought English worked his way into the game, but overall a disappointing night against two very young ruckmen. He has set a very high bar for himself so far this year and I don't think he reached the level tonight.

- the standard of umpiring across all games is as bad as ever. Letting players spin two full loops before disposing is putting then at massive risk of being dumped and hitting their head. Blow the whistle.

Good on you taking you?re bubs to presumably his first game and even better protect his hearing with ear muffs. Hope the cardigan was a hand knitted one with RWB!!

azabob
30-04-2023, 10:09 AM
Jazzdogs, I think I was sitting across the aisle on the right from you a row in front. Aisle 32; I was in row H.

Bulldog Legend
30-04-2023, 10:24 AM
Bankers
1. Naughton is such a rare player. Our second most important player.
2. Kudos to the midfield turning it around and the team grinding out a five goal win.
3. Bontempelli just because.

Anchors
1. The midfielders in the first half
2. Lobb is fast becoming a liability. Not sure what we are going to do with him.
3. Letting the hawks get a couple of late goals
Disagree with Lobb, he is doing exactly what we need and will continue to improve given he did have an ankle operation during this season

Dogs 24/7
30-04-2023, 10:36 AM
Disagree with Lobb, he is doing exactly what we need and will continue to improve given he did have an ankle operation during this season

Did he have an operation? The training reports dont indicate that.

Grantysghost
30-04-2023, 10:41 AM
Did he have an operation? The training reports dont indicate that.

He had a clean out is my understanding.

jazzadogs
30-04-2023, 10:42 AM
Good on you taking you?re bubs to presumably his first game and even better protect his hearing with ear muffs. Hope the cardigan was a hand knitted one with RWB!!

Yes hand knitted with the red and white stripes in the right position...not too low! And no robodog haha.

EasternWest
30-04-2023, 10:43 AM

I'm somewhere in the middle. If we get a couple of goals a game out of him then it's hard to be unhappy with that, but I feel like he's not as involved in general play as I'd like him to be.

jazzadogs
30-04-2023, 10:47 AM
I'm somewhere in the middle. If we get a couple of goals a game out of him then it's hard to be unhappy with that, but I feel like he's not as involved in general play as I'd like him to be.

First couple of games were horrible but that was immediately pre and post ankle surgery. It doesn't matter how minor the surgery is, it's still surgery with its associated inflammation and recovery times.

His last month has been much closer to what I'd expect from him. It's the first time I've seen him live since the Dees in round 1 and I felt there was a significant improvement in his bodywork and contest. We missed him with a few kicks which made him look poor, but were really on the kicker.

bornadog
30-04-2023, 11:00 AM

If he can kick a couple of goals each week and chop out in the ruck, he is doing his job

Grantysghost
30-04-2023, 11:08 AM
If he can kick a couple of goals each week and chop out in the ruck, he is doing his job

This is pretty accurate.

Just wouldn't mind seeing him be a bit more of a presence physically. Not sure it's his go though.

bornadog
30-04-2023, 11:10 AM
This is pretty accurate.

Just wouldn't mind seeing him be a bit more of a presence physically. Not sure it's his go though.

Yes agree with that

EasternWest
30-04-2023, 11:14 AM
First couple of games were horrible but that was immediately pre and post ankle surgery. It doesn't matter how minor the surgery is, it's still surgery with its associated inflammation and recovery times.

His last month has been much closer to what I'd expect from him. It's the first time I've seen him live since the Dees in round 1 and I felt there was a significant improvement in his bodywork and contest. We missed him with a few kicks which made him look poor, but were really on the kicker.

Fair enough, that all makes sense. FWIW I'm still right on board the train.

robb
30-04-2023, 11:22 AM
Bankers
Daniel is an interesting and effective ground level mid
Good to see JJ flying
Baker does what he needs to very well

Anchors
Keath often looks very disturbed with ball in hand
Why do two of our tall forwards fly for the same ball and spoil each other?
Forward delivery is still mostly high bomb rubbish

I think Keath is still a bit out of sorts from the concussion he previously suffered. I can see the old Keath starting to come through again and hopefully his best is not far away

azabob
30-04-2023, 11:52 AM

His opponents are running off on him and creating options. He doesn?t compete hard enough when the ball is in the air.

Why is Naughton still contesting boundary throw ins in the F50 and Lobb is in the goal square.

Watching him live last night exposes a lot he does not do and what he does do isn’t making up for it.

azabob
30-04-2023, 11:54 AM
Fair enough, that all makes sense. FWIW I'm still right on board the train.

The pro or anti train?

hujsh
30-04-2023, 11:55 AM
His opponents are running off on him and creating options. He doesn?t compete hard enough when the ball is in the air.

Why is Naughton still contesting boundary throw ins in the F50 and Lobb is in the goal square.

Watching him live last night exposes a lot he does not do and what he does do isn’t making up for it.

I think because Naughton is the right mix of strong and agile to steal a goal from the contest. Not sure I've seen Lobb do that but I'm also neither an avid GWS or Freo watcher.

azabob
30-04-2023, 12:08 PM
I think because Naughton is the right mix of strong and agile to steal a goal from the contest. Not sure I've seen Lobb do that but I'm also neither an avid GWS or Freo watcher.

If that is the reason I find that to be bonkers.

EasternWest
30-04-2023, 12:28 PM
The pro or anti train?

Don't ask me to get off the fence.

Pro.

D Mitchell
30-04-2023, 02:42 PM

Naughton contesting throwins next to the point post I can understand but there were occasions when English took ballups or throwins with Lobb in front of the goal square and Naughton in it. Perhaps English should have been outside F50 for the clearance kick.