PDA

View Full Version : 3 things I learned vs the Hawks

GVGjr
29-04-2023, 06:45 PM
You know the drill, please list 3 new things you learned from today's game against the Hawks.?

westbulldog
29-04-2023, 08:40 PM
One day Arty Jones will set the forward line alight, he is doing more 1%'ers each game.
Keath and Duryea may well be in their last season.
Naughton could be leading the Coleman if he kicked straighter.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-04-2023, 08:46 PM
1. Credit to the Hawks, but geez, we just lack the killer instincts that the top sides have to really get an easy kill against the bottom teams.
2. JJ is getting back to some consistent form behind the ball. I wasn't sure he still had that level in him anymore. Good to be wrong.
3. Caleb Daniel first had me convinced early he was not a midfielder. His performance for the last 2 thirds of the game has me convinced now he can be.

Mofra
29-04-2023, 08:57 PM
1. McNeill / McSteal. Does it every round he plays
2. We simply have to grab a mid with one of our first picks this year
3. Oscar Baker has been a very good freebie. Took the space in front of him a few times the way all of our players should when given a chance to run with the ball

Dry Rot
29-04-2023, 09:52 PM
1. When JUH leads and it is honoured, he is very dangerous but the second condition rarely happens

2. We are too Naughton focused. Came off today, won't against the best teams

3. Even Sicily's mother probably does not like him

josie
29-04-2023, 10:38 PM
1. When JUH leads and it is honoured, he is very dangerous but the second condition rarely happens

2. We are too Naughton focused. Came off today, won't against the best teams

3. Even Sicily's mother probably does not like him

Glad a woofer commented on Marra. I thought he was good tonight, growing in confidence and those two goals were not easy and crucial. Tried to run to different F50 positions than Naughts a few times I can remember too. He is also doing some nice things around the ground including pressure acts.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-04-2023, 11:40 PM
1. Marra is quietly becoming a much more complete player as noted above. He actually has better forward instincts than Naughty. Interesting to see us deploy him as a defender for the last 10 minutes or so, wonder why that was?

2. We need to move on from Duryea and Keath. In 2021 I thought they were AA standard, but they're struggling now. Still both have moments, but I'd prefer to invest time into Cleary and Gardy.

3. Baker could become one of the more dangerous wingers in the game.

bornadog
29-04-2023, 11:55 PM
1. Baker was good but needs to stop banging the ball into forward 50 to no one in particular

2. Arty showed he is starting to get the hang of the game.

3. Some strange decisions by umpires tonight - can't each ump stay in a zone and not over ride each other.

merantau
30-04-2023, 08:17 AM
Arthur Jones is progressing nicely, has pace, elusivity and can kick a goal.
Treloar is a pro. Awful first half but really lifted after that.
Our ball use must improve. Hawthorn showed us up.

bornadog
30-04-2023, 11:09 AM
Our ball use must improve. Hawthorn showed us up.

We ran at 76% DE and Hawks 70.4%

Bulldog Joe
30-04-2023, 02:45 PM

Stats.

They never tell the full story.

A 50 metre kick to a contest is efficient and a 50 metre pass to a leading forward 30 metres out directly in front is also classified as efficient.

The think they are still different

Mofra
30-04-2023, 02:49 PM
Glad a woofer commented on Marra. I thought he was good tonight, growing in confidence and those two goals were not easy and crucial. Tried to run to different F50 positions than Naughts a few times I can remember too. He is also doing some nice things around the ground including pressure acts.
He had a really nice moment off the ball in the 3rd quarter. Just worked so hard off the ball to get a little step on his opponent then take an 'easy' mark. His workrate seems higher than last year

AshMac
30-04-2023, 04:33 PM
He had a really nice moment off the ball in the 3rd quarter. Just worked so hard off the ball to get a little step on his opponent then take an 'easy' mark. His workrate seems higher than last year

Good call - he is at more contests and appears to be more composed in them which is a great sign of fitness and work rate

bornadog
30-04-2023, 05:00 PM
Stats.

They never tell the full story.

A 50 metre kick to a contest is efficient and a 50 metre pass to a leading forward 30 metres out directly in front is also classified as efficient.

The think they are still different

No way they used the ball better than us. They made lots of errors, especially in the last. We were lucky they weren't more skillful.

Bulldog Joe
30-04-2023, 06:14 PM
No way they used the ball better than us. They made lots of errors, especially in the last. We were lucky they weren't more skillful.

My comment is that the 76% DE doesn't tell us much.

We gave up too many turnovers against the side that was bottom of the ladder to the extent that they are no longer bottom of the ladder.

bornadog
30-04-2023, 06:56 PM
My comment is that the 76% DE doesn't tell us much.

We gave up too many turnovers against the side that was bottom of the ladder to the extent that they are no longer bottom of the ladder.

Turnovers were 61 to us and 64 to them. I think the stats tell the story of the game.

Bulldog Joe
30-04-2023, 07:03 PM
Turnovers were 61 to us and 64 to them. I think the stats tell the story of the game.

Considering the aspirations of the respective teams I don't take any solace from those stats.
Given our age experience profile we should expect to be significantly ahead on the turnovers

merantau
01-05-2023, 06:35 AM

Yes, I noticed that and it makes me want to know more about the criteria they use to decide on what's efficiency and what's not.i seemed to recall a lot more long kicks from Hawthorn hitting targets in space - not so many from us. Is a 15mt kick backwards to a team mate in the goal square given the same weight as a 50mt pass to a team mate inside forward 50? I don't know.

hujsh
01-05-2023, 11:58 AM
Yes, I noticed that and it makes me want to know more about the criteria they use to decide on what's efficiency and what's not.i seemed to recall a lot more long kicks from Hawthorn hitting targets in space - not so many from us. Is a 15mt kick backwards to a team mate in the goal square given the same weight as a 50mt pass to a team mate inside forward 50? I don't know.

Yes. An effective kick either is marked by a team mate or is contested.

Critter
01-05-2023, 12:12 PM
1. Anthony Scott needs to do some work on his right leg - both in the gym and at training. Two goals went begging on Saturday.
2. Keep the small forwards - Jones, Weightman, Scott/McNeil - in place. Their effectiveness is growing week by week in that the pressure they apply is causing doubt and confusion among opposition defenders.
3. JJ continues to be a major contributor in defence. His value grows weekly.

josie
01-05-2023, 01:05 PM
1. Anthony Scott needs to do some work on his right leg - both in the gym and at training. Two goals went begging on Saturday.
2. Keep the small forwards - Jones, Weightman, Scott/McNeil - in place. Their effectiveness is growing week by week in that the pressure they apply is causing doubt and confusion among opposition defenders.

Thanks Critter. I will now keep a close eye on which foot Scott uses and if he can improve his right leg. This is one of the reasons I enjoy woof, analysis and insight from those who likely have played the game and/or are more observant than me.

Mantis
01-05-2023, 01:06 PM
1/ For both Scott & McNeil to prosper in the team they need to sharpen up their kicking skills. Both butchered a number of chances on Saturday night.
2/ Our midfield depth is looking paper thin and we need our best to perform at or near their best every week.
3/ It's not easy to win, especially when you don't play at your best so we bank the 4 points and move on.

SonofScray
01-05-2023, 01:23 PM
1. The balance with the talls and smalls in the forward line is looking more conventional and just about right.
2. We still look susceptible physically when teams come to play a hard nosed, aggressive game.
3. There are a lot of Doggies fans that must pick and choose when to show up. No judgment but I never really saw our fan base like that before.

Mofra
01-05-2023, 01:57 PM
Yes. An effective kick either is marked by a team mate or is contested.
A long kick to space is also considered an effective kick

DISHLICKERS
01-05-2023, 02:43 PM
1. Post Libba is going to be sad. We really missed him and always will. GUN player
2. Oscar B has been a good pick up.
3. Jones has been a terrific pick up.

Sedat
01-05-2023, 02:50 PM
3/ It's not easy to win, especially when you don't play at your best so we bank the 4 points and move on.
Of the bottom 4 clubs this year, I'd be buying shares in the Hawks - aside from their awful 2nd half on Easter Monday, they are clearly playing to a system, bringing consistent defensive heat, and are staying in games for much longer as a result. That's all you can ask for when you are at the start of your rebuild timeline. I'll gladly take the scrappy win and move on.

bulldogsthru&thru
01-05-2023, 02:53 PM
Of the bottom 4 clubs this year, I'd be buying shares in the Hawks - aside from their awful 2nd half on Easter Monday, they are clearly playing to a system, bringing in consistent defensive effort, and are staying in games for much longer as a result. That's all you can ask for when you are at the start of your rebuild timeline. I'll gladly take the scrappy win and move on.

They were impressive given their rebuild status. We took care of business in the 2nd half like we should have, but the hawks made us earn the win.

GVGjr
01-05-2023, 04:07 PM

Good points Critter.
1) Just need a bit more from Scott
2) The smaller forward set-up is giving us a point of difference from last season.
3) It's very fortunate that we didn't lose JJ. He's adapted back to his defenders role with aplomb.

1eyedog
01-05-2023, 06:37 PM
Of the bottom 4 clubs this year, I'd be buying shares in the Hawks - aside from their awful 2nd half on Easter Monday, they are clearly playing to a system, bringing consistent defensive heat, and are staying in games for much longer as a result. That's all you can ask for when you are at the start of your rebuild timeline. I'll gladly take the scrappy win and move on.

100% agree I don't mind the Hawks. Day has gone to a new level under Mitchell and they have a very strong (still young) midfield. Mitch Lewis is a gun and makes them 20% better.

jazzadogs
01-05-2023, 11:18 PM
3. There are a lot of Doggies fans that must pick and choose when to show up. No judgment but I never really saw our fan base like that before.

One of only two day (if you would even call 4.35 day) games in Melbourne in the finalised section of the fixture. So many night games which rule out a lot of families and travelling fans.

I really liked the timeslot and was proud of the crowd - whether it was for Bont, because we are playing better, or just because it was a convenient time, it was great to have 41,000 at a home game. And there weren't a heap of Hawks fans.

bornadog
02-05-2023, 12:07 AM
One of only two day (if you would even call 4.35 day) games in Melbourne in the finalised section of the fixture. So many night games which rule out a lot of families and travelling fans.

I really liked the timeslot and was proud of the crowd - whether it was for Bont, because we are playing better, or just because it was a convenient time, it was great to have 41,000 at a home game. And there weren't a heap of Hawks fans.

4.35 on a Saturday is ideal

Mantis
02-05-2023, 08:28 AM
4.35 on a Saturday is ideal

Yep... much easier to take children at that timeslot... and there were lots of kids in the crowd.

Ozza
02-05-2023, 08:43 AM
It is interesting how we, the audience, have adapted to the 4:30 timeslot over the years. It was originally seen as a horror timeslot where games were hidden.....but now at least the Saturday twilight, is pretty popular.

azabob
02-05-2023, 09:22 AM
It is interesting how we, the audience, have adapted to the 4:30 timeslot over the years. It was originally seen as a horror timeslot where games were hidden.....but now at least the Saturday twilight, is pretty popular.

Sunday twilight definitely is still a rubbish time slot.

Ozza
02-05-2023, 11:19 AM
Sunday twilight definitely is still a rubbish time slot.

Would be good if one of the teams made it their own to a certain extent.

In the early years of the Crows, they often played home games at 5:40 on a Sunday night and it became a Sunday night staple. Unfortunately there is little to no interest, outside of WA, in watching the Eagles and Dockers so their 4:40/2:40 games disappear on the Sunday.

Sedat
02-05-2023, 11:49 AM
Would be good if one of the teams made it their own to a certain extent.

In the early years of the Crows, they often played home games at 5:40 on a Sunday night and it became a Sunday night staple. Unfortunately there is little to no interest, outside of WA, in watching the Eagles and Dockers so their 4:40/2:40 games disappear on the Sunday.
Yep, I used to love squeezing the last morsels out of the weekend with a blockbuster at Footy Park. From memory, they started even later than 5.40pm, might have even been a 6.40 start time (7.10 in Melbourne) and was pure prime time fodder. Would also help with the fixturing overlap.

Dogs 24/7
02-05-2023, 05:10 PM

I think it works on Sunday but it's not for everyone. It looks like Thursday night will become a normal slot so I can see Sunday 4.40pm can still work.

Daughter of the West
03-05-2023, 12:02 AM
Yep... much easier to take children at that timeslot... and there were lots of kids in the crowd.

There was also an email that went out specifically chasing the kids, we got one saying that it had been noted that the pups hadn't attended any games this year and that the Bont would love to see them at Marvel for his big game. It certainly tugged the heartstrings of mum - the biggest pup would have loved the experience (if it didn't involve an eight hour plane ride)!

Mantis
03-05-2023, 08:15 AM
There was also an email that went out specifically chasing the kids, we got one saying that it had been noted that the pups hadn't attended any games this year and that the Bont would love to see them at Marvel for his big game. It certainly tugged the heartstrings of mum - the biggest pup would have loved the experience (if it didn't involve an eight hour plane ride)!

Previous to the Hawthorn game both of our home games had been at night, and one on a Thursday… not sure how the club expects you to take ‘pups’ along when you don’t get home until well after 10.30pm?

Ozza
03-05-2023, 03:35 PM
Yep, I used to love squeezing the last morsels out of the weekend with a blockbuster at Footy Park. From memory, they started even later than 5.40pm, might have even been a 6.40 start time (7.10 in Melbourne) and was pure prime time fodder. Would also help with the fixturing overlap.

I couldn't recall when the games started - so I looked up that iconic match they had against North when they won by 2 points and Modra kicked 10 and saw it was 5:40 (5.10 local) - but they may well have had games that were later. I certainly remember it being at least a dinner-time game as a kid and as you say - a real treat to keep milking the weekend.