PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 9 v Carlton

Scraggers
30-04-2023, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Eight match against GWS for our Round Nine match against Carlton at Marvel Stadium on Saturday night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
06-05-2023, 08:55 AM
Bump

azabob
06-05-2023, 11:29 PM
Treloar is an obvious out with Keath and Duyrea under pressure to hold their spots.

McNeil, Cleary and Darcy potential INs.

JanLorMill
06-05-2023, 11:31 PM
Is Maclean fit enough to do a run with on Cripps?

JanLorMill
06-05-2023, 11:34 PM
Treloar is an obvious out with Keath and Duyrea under pressure to hold their spots.

McNeil, Cleary and Darcy potential INs.
Darcy didn’t play- injured
McNeil hardly touched it
Unfortunately Cleary isn’t tall enough to replace Keath

westbulldog
06-05-2023, 11:41 PM
Out
Treloar
Duryea

In
Cleary
Crozier

Stevo
06-05-2023, 11:43 PM
To help shape conversations lets all agree that OBrien is not a key position and Darcy will be a ruck man. :)
Now that that is sorted Treloar replaced by Toby McLean

macca
06-05-2023, 11:44 PM
Out:
Treloar (injured)

In:
McNeil
Sub: McClean ( he needs a few more games)

I hope Young gets picked for Carlton.

josie
06-05-2023, 11:47 PM
Is Darcy injured?

bornadog
06-05-2023, 11:48 PM
Is Darcy injured?

BulldogFan reported yesterday, he was ill, not injured.

macca
06-05-2023, 11:51 PM
To help shape conversations lets all agree that OBrien is not a key position and Darcy will be a ruck man. :)
Now that that is sorted Treloar replaced by Toby McLean

In the book of Bevo's versatility we will make TOB a KPD and Darcy a ruckman.
I am being funny but I won't be surprised if its tried .

1eyedog
07-05-2023, 12:06 AM
Jamarra looks junky at the moment but I guess he gets another run at Marvel?

josie
07-05-2023, 12:35 AM
If it was me I’d be tempted to replace Keath with Darcy or even Khamis, Duryea with Cleary and poor Treloar with McNeil, McLean or West as sub.

I know this won’t happen so replace Treloar with McNeil. McLean or West as sub.

josie
07-05-2023, 12:35 AM
Anyone know how long Windscreens is out for?

GVGjr
07-05-2023, 12:38 AM
Caleb to replace Treloar in the midfield.

jeemak
07-05-2023, 12:59 AM
Some of our defending was disappointing, in that multiple times we didn't keep the ball in front of us or kill the aerial contest and let the ball get behind.

We also compressed the ground a bit high sometimes and it opened up the ground which compounded the issue. However, I don't think we'll be making any changes to the defencive six in lieu of there being a few going through there over the first eight rounds and needing them to gel.

Out - Treloar
In - McNeil/ McLean

I think next week is actually the perfect time to give Toby a run as a midfielder, and see whether he can make something of it as a Treloar replacement for the next few weeks. We've all been saying he's in need of an opportunity to play that role because he's for some reason no longer to play as a pure forward like he did when he started his career, so let's get him in there.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2023, 08:07 AM
I would bring in Khamas as the sub. Toby to replace Treloar.

The only thing that matters is we tag Cripps - as they say you stop Cripps you stop Carlton. I don’t see why Bevo will not tag this guy. JJ to Saad

bornadog
07-05-2023, 11:19 AM

The only thing that matters is we tag Cripps - as they say you stop Cripps you stop Carlton. I don’t see why Bevo will not tag this guy. JJ to Saad

JJ to Saad means he plays forward. I would prefer JJ in the backline.

azabob
07-05-2023, 11:20 AM
JJ to Saad means he plays forward. I would prefer JJ in the backline.

Agree, no way I’d shift JJ from the HB line at the moment.

mjp
07-05-2023, 02:41 PM
Agree, no way I’d shift JJ from the HB line at the moment.

Scott takes Saad.

Smads57
07-05-2023, 03:05 PM
I'll go left field - Treloar out and Khamis in.

Khamis to play the Cody role ('small' marking fwd) and Cody (after a quiet fortnight), gets the midfield minutes in place of Treloar (also gets him away from the heavy tags placed on him recently).

Khamis to Docherty and as someone has suggested, Scott to Saad.

As I said - left field....

For any Skinner Reserve 'training' watchers, might be interesting to see who seemingly 'trains' more with the midfield group this week than at other times.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2023, 04:08 PM
I'll go left field - Treloar out and Khamis in.

Khamis to play the Cody role ('small' marking fwd) and Cody (after a quiet fortnight), gets the midfield minutes in place of Treloar (also gets him away from the heavy tags placed on him recently).

Khamis to Docherty and as someone has suggested, Scott to Saad.

As I said - left field....

For any Skinner Reserve 'training' watchers, might be interesting to see who seemingly 'trains' more with the midfield group this week than at other times.

Like the thinking here Smads.

lemmon
07-05-2023, 06:22 PM
Looked like Bailey Williams spent some time on the ball in the last - reckon we'll see more of that against the Blues.

macca
07-05-2023, 06:41 PM
Looked like Bailey Williams spent some time on the ball in the last - reckon we'll see more of that against the Blues.

It would be great if he could spend some midfield time, to round out his game. He is becoming very versatile for us. : HB, centre and HF.

azabob
07-05-2023, 07:07 PM
What I’m finding is that I’m extremely conservative with positional moves. Especially if the solution is to move someone who has locked down a position in the starting 18.

During the summer my big concern was our two vacant wing spots especially after Williams poor 2022. Williams and Baker for most part have been pretty good.

I guess what I’m saying is leave Williams on the wing, leave JJ at half back.

For mine Bailey Smith and Jackson MacRae to pick up Treloar CBA minutes.

kruder
07-05-2023, 07:07 PM
I like the idea of Cody getting midfield minutes as he did during the preseason but is he fit enough? He couldn't get our of first gear last night.

Jasper
07-05-2023, 07:39 PM
Bevo gave us a flicker of hope that Treloar will be ok but lets go with McNeil into the line up in case he doesnt.

Raels_d
07-05-2023, 07:45 PM
About to report on Channel 7 news that Jamarra also has a hamstring issue

GVGjr
07-05-2023, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the update, that will throw a spanner into the works.

kruder
07-05-2023, 07:48 PM

Buku deserves a crack at it.

chef
07-05-2023, 07:57 PM

Abductor.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-05-2023, 09:50 PM
Buku deserves a crack at it.
Love this, I would be more than happy gif him to get another crack at it.

Hotdog60
07-05-2023, 10:44 PM
Come on people we all know that Robbie comes in for Treloar. :)

Bulldog4life
07-05-2023, 11:14 PM

Canberra is no good for hammies at night. Pretty sure it has happened before to us.

Bulldog4life
07-05-2023, 11:15 PM
Abductor.

Ta chef

1eyedog
08-05-2023, 12:10 AM

Think he needs a rest anyway looks cooked atm.

MrMahatma
08-05-2023, 12:17 AM
Abductor.

Who kidnapped him!?

D Mitchell
08-05-2023, 02:59 AM
How did you know what Ch 7 was to report before it reported ?

MrMahatma
08-05-2023, 07:40 AM
Who sits on Cripps? If he gets 20+ touches, they prob win.

EasternWest
08-05-2023, 08:27 AM
How did you know what Ch 7 was to report before it reported ?

She's Tom Browne

Mantis
08-05-2023, 08:33 AM
Who sits on Cripps? If he gets 20+ touches, they prob win.

Macrae or Libba... but Bevo is reluctant to use anyone in a ''negating'' role so they'll all likely go H2H.

GVGjr
08-05-2023, 08:47 AM
Macrae or Libba... but Bevo is reluctant to use anyone in a ''negating'' role so they'll all likely go H2H.

Macrae would be my pick, he's done a similar role against Cripps in the past and limited his damage.

jazzadogs
08-05-2023, 09:01 AM
Think he needs a rest anyway looks cooked atm.

You don't think that this issue might be why he looks cooked? I think it's reasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt that he has tried to play through some pain/soreness and has struggled with that. It's a skill that I'm sure he will develop.

Side note, another young player with a groin issue (Cody, Garcia, Bedendo being others). We're doing something wrong.

jazzadogs
08-05-2023, 09:03 AM
I like the idea of Cody getting midfield minutes as he did during the preseason but is he fit enough? He couldn't get our of first gear last night.

This is my thinking too. I think Cody's maximum level of 'midfield minutes' at this stage would be 5 minutes per quarter, and that doesn't come close to covering Treloar.

Happy for him to get a taste of it, but the plan to cover Adz needs to be bigger than that.

Grantysghost
08-05-2023, 09:36 AM
You don't think that this issue might be why he looks cooked? I think it's reasonable to give him the benefit of the doubt that he has tried to play through some pain/soreness and has struggled with that. It's a skill that I'm sure he will develop.

Side note, another young player with a groin issue (Cody, Garcia, Bedendo being others). We're doing something wrong.

Superindendant Chalmers voice on....

SKIIIINNEEEEEEEERRRR!

SonofScray
08-05-2023, 11:35 AM

The disruption to training facilities would have to be a factor in some way.

Skinner Rsv is in pretty good nick for local footy and they've done a good thing getting it up to scratch for the Club to use, but its not the same as your own deck.

Mantis
08-05-2023, 04:33 PM

Skinner Rsv is in pretty good nick for local footy and they've done a good thing getting it up to scratch for the Club to use, but its not the same as your own deck.

How is it different?

GVGjr
08-05-2023, 05:02 PM

Players rated it as very hard through November and December training and we had a few niggling injuries as a result.
From mid Jan onwards the ground appeared to be okay. Talked to a guy prior to the Xmas break and he was meeting with our facilities guys later that day and had prepared a couple of scenarios to soften the ground.
I get what you are saying and I think gambled on shuffling players between a temporary gym at the club and a training ground at Skinner and neither of them were ideal scenarios.

DOG GOD
08-05-2023, 05:16 PM

The only thing that matters is we tag Cripps - as they say you stop Cripps you stop Carlton. I don?t see why Bevo will not tag this guy. JJ to Saad

We have never tagged Cripps before, hence the 30+ possessions he normally generates each time he play us.

bornadog
08-05-2023, 05:40 PM
We have never tagged Cripps before, hence the 30+ possessions he normally generates each time he play us.

We did with Macrae a few years ago, and limited him to less than 20 disposals

Ozza
08-05-2023, 05:52 PM

yep....and fancy that, we won the game!!!

Hope we tag him again. At least around stoppage,

JohnGentStand
08-05-2023, 07:36 PM
In: McNeil, Khamis

Out: Jamarra, Adz

Sub: Hannan or West

I dont think we risk Jamarra if any doubt and Buku is a versatile in with some form. McNeil to do a defensive forward role on Saad (other option being Hannan) I know plenty dont like them but they have the speed we need for the role.

angelopetraglia
08-05-2023, 08:19 PM
In: McNeil, Khamis

Out: Jamarra, Adz

Sub: Hannan or West

I dont think we risk Jamarra if any doubt and Buku is a versatile in with some form. McNeil to do a defensive forward role on Saad (other option being Hannan) I know plenty dont like them but they have the speed we need for the role.

Yes. Agree with that. Hopefully no other surprises on the injury front.

GVGjr
08-05-2023, 08:40 PM

yep....and fancy that, we won the game!!!

Hope we tag him again. At least around stoppage,

From memory we played them twice is about 8 rounds. Cripps had something like 38 possessions in their win and a few weeks later about 22 in a loss for them. It can work so lets hope we consider it.

kruder
08-05-2023, 08:50 PM
Classic 8 point game this one, the heat has been put onto Carlton on media street so will be interesting to see how we handle it.

MrMahatma
09-05-2023, 10:43 AM
I know he's been playing well at HBF, but do we use JJ to tag Saad? We have other HB weapons where as they don't really - so while it's robbing Peter to pay Paul, I think we rob Peter of 50c and pay Paul $1.23.

Or does VDM come in and play that role on Saad?

I'd bring Toby in for Treloar. If JUH misses, prob bring Darcy in (maybe form doesn't warrant it so much but I think we can get miss matches).

jazzadogs
09-05-2023, 10:47 AM
I know he's been playing well at HBF, but do we use JJ to tag Saad? We have other HB weapons where as they don't really - so while it's robbing Peter to pay Paul, I think we rob Peter of 50c and pay Paul $1.23.

I'd bring Toby in for Treloar. If JUH misses, prob bring Darcy in (maybe form doesn't warrant it so much but I think we can get miss matches).

I don't think pace is vital to stopping Saad. I think with enough niggling and body work he will stop running to receive, and his damage will be limited.

If we want a damaging forward with defensive capabilities I'd be more inclined to move Bailey Dale, who has been out of form. JJ has been terrific in his natural role.

lemmon
09-05-2023, 11:16 AM

JJ's pace coming out of the back-half has been pivotal in our improvement from the first few rounds. One of our biggest struggles has been scoring from D50 rebounds - JJ and Ed Richards have been vital in improving that.

I think it's a team focus as much as anything. Whoever goes to Saad will be blocked and buffeted so that he can get around for the handball receive anyway - I think the forward 6 need to be really conscious of that, have the awareness to leave their man and get across to cover or pressure when he does have the footy.

We've got good pace and endeavor down there with Cody, Arty, Scott and McNeil - they'll all need to be conscious of Saad at ground level and accountable for him at times.

Think we also need to make the bloke defend. If we can go through his man and put a couple of goals on Saad in the first term, he'll be pretty conscious of how much space he gives up.

MrMahatma
09-05-2023, 04:00 PM
I don't think pace is vital to stopping Saad. I think with enough niggling and body work he will stop running to receive, and his damage will be limited.

If we want a damaging forward with defensive capabilities I'd be more inclined to move Bailey Dale, who has been out of form. JJ has been terrific in his natural role.

Lions appeared to do well tagging Cripps and Saad. I reckon we'd be crazy to not try it. Dale could work too. Or maybe Scott? Someone who is less used to doing their own damage?

Happy Days
09-05-2023, 04:23 PM
We really that scared of Adam Saad? What’s he gonna do, bounce us to death?

Way more worried about their two talls combining for 9 or so goals, or Cripps beating our entire midfield by himself. Hypothetically of course.

DOG GOD
09-05-2023, 05:10 PM
I must’ve missed that game. I thought he was in the “never tag” club with Petracca, Oliver and Neale.

Rocco Jones
09-05-2023, 05:48 PM
I'd bring in Khamis for Marra, Cleary for Doc and Tobias for Adz. I'd only have Toby in if he is part of CBA rotations. Get if both don't happen. My only real issue is selecting Toby and not playing him in the middle at all.

I think it'll be Khamis for Marra and McNeil starting for Adz, with maybe Hannan as a sub. West a bit like Toby but I guess more hope forward. My thinking is that if a small forward doesn't have many tools, I hope they at least have some pace.

Matjoh
09-05-2023, 10:42 PM
If Marra and Adz out then Buku and McLean in
Buku for marra, and rotaing mids for Adz with either McNeill, McLean, and Weightman AND I'd maybe give Arty some mid minutes. He's quick and evasive, just like to see how he goes.
Must tag cripps with Macrae. This no tag is bullshit, about time Bevo got on board.
Can't decide the sub out of the Mc's

jeemak
09-05-2023, 10:49 PM
We really that scared of Adam Saad? What?s he gonna do, bounce us to death?

Way more worried about their two talls combining for 9 or so goals, or Cripps beating our entire midfield by himself. Hypothetically of course.

I mean this is really silly because it discounts Saad's effectiveness on occasion when left alone, but also funny because of the death by bounce bit (he actually looks like a South Park parody character when he's running around the joint bouncing the ball).

jeemak
09-05-2023, 11:55 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think we miss Roarke Smith.

When we were playing at our most recent best, he was the guy you could count on to fulfil a role in the front two thirds of the ground, pop up for a goal, hold his position wide if needed, make the most of the majority of the limited touches he was only going to get. Not many of our ins/ outs each week are as reliable as that.

mjp
10-05-2023, 11:21 AM

He's a dependable player.

hujsh
10-05-2023, 11:54 AM
Roarke fills his role well enough but where would he play if fit? The wings are Williams and Baker with Scott rotating through so do we want to drop Scott?

jeemak
10-05-2023, 12:07 PM
Roarke fills his role well enough but where would he play if fit? The wings are Williams and Baker with Scott rotating through so do we want to drop Scott?

I think he'd provide a solid alternative to Scott.

Bullies
10-05-2023, 12:08 PM
Roarke fills his role well enough but where would he play if fit? The wings are Williams and Baker with Scott rotating through so do we want to drop Scott? I also think it is pretty damning on our development of players if we talking about having no one to play a role Roarke Smith does.

Grantysghost
10-05-2023, 12:13 PM
I also think it is pretty damning on our development of players if we talking about having no one to play a role Roarke Smith does.

Butler springs to mind as one that really didn't come on that could have played that wing role.

Mofra
10-05-2023, 01:39 PM

When we were playing at our most recent best, he was the guy you could count on to fulfil a role in the front two thirds of the ground, pop up for a goal, hold his position wide if needed, make the most of the majority of the limited touches he was only going to get. Not many of our ins/ outs each week are as reliable as that. He was probably in our top 5 players in the GF.

bornadog
10-05-2023, 02:15 PM
Out: Adz, JUH

In: McNeil, Buku

Hannan Sub

If JUH is ok to play then Buku misses.

Mantis
10-05-2023, 02:16 PM
I think he'd provide a solid alternative to Scott.

Maybe as the 3rd winger, but Roarke is pretty limited as a forward.

Would you have Roarke in front of Williams or Baker as a starting wingman?

hujsh
10-05-2023, 02:20 PM
Maybe as the 3rd winger, but Roarke is pretty limited as a forward.

Would you have Roarke in front of Williams or Baker as a starting wingman?

I guess the alternative would be if we played the winger through half back instead (so Williams and/or Smith flow through the backline). Not sure it works as well.

FrediKanoute
10-05-2023, 11:31 PM
I am going to go with an only change what is necessary approach so:

Out: JUH - if injured and Treloar

In: Khamis - deserves his spot and has been pushing for a few weeks now; West - we can't replace Treloars speed and separation so lets replace his nouse and hardness at the footy

Rocco Jones
11-05-2023, 03:09 PM
I think with footy now, if you are small and not nailing a role, you need to be fast.

Mantis
11-05-2023, 06:03 PM
James O’Donnell is making his debut on Saturday night… what the actual!

Bevo strikes again!

Axe Man
11-05-2023, 06:05 PM
O’Donnell follows family footsteps in dream debut (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1327895/o-donnell-follows-family-footsteps-in-dream-debut)

Ex-cricketer James O’Donnell will make his AFL debut against Carlton in the red, white and blue.

Just 35 days after signing as a Category B Rookie at the Western Bulldogs, ex-cricketer James O’Donnell will live out a boyhood dream on Saturday night, making his debut against Carlton in the red, white and blue.

The 20-year-old will become a third generation VFL/AFL debutant, following in the footsteps of Grandfather (Kevin) and Dad (Simon), both playing for St Kilda during the 1940’s and 1980’s.

It’s been a stunning rise for the former fast bowler, playing three games of VFL football before receiving the call from Luke Beveridge to make his way into the senior side.

A Round 6 state-league performance first put O’Donnell’s chances on the radar, gathering 17 touches and seven marks in a victory over Carlton, with his ability to cover the ground and contest a highlight.

O’Donnell will suit up in place of Adam Treloar, who misses due to a hamstring strain.

More to come.

DOG GOD
11-05-2023, 06:08 PM
o’donnell follows family footsteps in dream debut (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1327895/o-donnell-follows-family-footsteps-in-dream-debut)

ex-cricketer james o’donnell will make his afl debut against carlton in the red, white and blue.

Just 35 days after signing as a category b rookie at the western bulldogs, ex-cricketer james o’donnell will live out a boyhood dream on saturday night, making his debut against carlton in the red, white and blue.

The 20-year-old will become a third generation vfl/afl debutant, following in the footsteps of grandfather (kevin) and dad (simon), both playing for st kilda during the 1940’s and 1980’s.

It’s been a stunning rise for the former fast bowler, playing three games of vfl football before receiving the call from luke beveridge to make his way into the senior side.

A round 6 state-league performance first put o’donnell’s chances on the radar, gathering 17 touches and seven marks in a victory over carlton, with his ability to cover the ground and contest a highlight.

O’donnell will suit up in place of adam treloar, who misses due to a hamstring strain.

More to come.

wtf ???

chef
11-05-2023, 06:08 PM
Wowser. Who saw that coming.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-05-2023, 06:12 PM
This is shocking on 2 fronts. The obvious being he's playing afl, but then the fact that he's replacing a midfielder??????

This is a bold move and the coaches would want to make sure he's 100% ready for afl otherwise it'll rub some other players who weren't named the wrong way.

ReLoad
11-05-2023, 06:14 PM
Lolz. Ah Bevo you’ve done it again.

since we’ve won a few we need to go back to tanking?

Axe Man
11-05-2023, 06:14 PM
This is shocking on 2 fronts. The obvious being he's playing afl, but then the fact that he's replacing a midfielder??????

This is a bold move and the coaches would want to make sure he's 100% ready for afl otherwise it'll rub some other players who weren't named the wrong way.

Will one of Jones, Gardner or Keath be an unexpected out?

bulldogsthru&thru
11-05-2023, 06:16 PM
Will one of Jones, Gardner or Keath be an unexpected out?

Please not Jones if so

bulldogsthru&thru
11-05-2023, 06:19 PM
Can O'Donnell play midfield? Is this a HUGE message from Bevo to our vfl midfielders that they are nowhere near it at the moment?

angelopetraglia
11-05-2023, 06:20 PM
Wow!!! I did not see that happening.

Happy Days
11-05-2023, 06:29 PM
That’s complete insanity but sure.

Imagine if he’s good. That would be tight.

kruder
11-05-2023, 06:32 PM
I saw him play once thats was enough for me to get him on the main list but I didn?t think he would debut this week;).

If this kid can become a best 22 AFL defender in time what a find he will be. To have him and Buss developing along side the experience of Jones, Keath, Bruce and Gardner is perfect.

Sedat
11-05-2023, 06:39 PM
That?s complete insanity but sure.

Imagine if he?s good. That would be tight.
Wowsers. Biggest selection bolter since Stephen Tiller went from VFL seconds to AFL seniors (from memory with a bye in between).

Big bodied mid who has elite endurance, is 20yo and has a decent frame already, and who has shot up in height since he last played - I get it as a horses for courses. Wonder if he will go straight to Cripps like Vanilla Dunks did with great success last week.

angelopetraglia
11-05-2023, 06:41 PM
Wowsers. Biggest selection bolter since Stephen Tiller went from VFL seconds to AFL seniors in 2 weeks (from memory with a bye in between).

Big bodied mid who has elite endurance, is 20yo and has a decent frame already, and who has shot up in height since he last played - I get it as a horses for courses. Wonder if he will go straight to Cripps like Vanilla Dunks did with great success last week.

Dale Morris. First game. Go and tag Andrew McLeod.

Happy Days
11-05-2023, 06:43 PM
So the circuit breaker for our super tight mid rotations which have only included the same 7 guys for forever exclusively playing the hits is gonna be a sorta tall cricket man who has played 3 proper games ever and wasn’t in the AFL in March?

Okay then.

Sedat
11-05-2023, 06:46 PM
So the circuit breaker for our super tight mid rotations which have only included the same 7 guys for forever exclusively playing the hits is gonna be a sorta tall cricket man who has played 3 proper games ever and wasn’t in the AFL in March?

Okay then.
What's his insta feed like? Can he make a good tortilla?

Happy Days
11-05-2023, 06:47 PM

Would you believe it’s very cricket heavy.

Grantysghost
11-05-2023, 06:50 PM
Would you believe it’s very cricket heavy.

As in his jokes bomb?

Meta post.

ReLoad
11-05-2023, 06:58 PM

Who is his man crush best friend?

What state does his sister play netball in?

Bigdog
11-05-2023, 07:02 PM
Think one of Keath or Gardiner comes out. JOD a has been our best performing back man by a long way at VFL level in his games. Brave call to go this early though.

westdog54
11-05-2023, 07:10 PM
James O’Donnell is making his debut on Saturday night… what the actual!

Bevo strikes again!

It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it works out for him.

Rocket Science
11-05-2023, 07:20 PM
TFW (https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsGDwXbI4xK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==) you've found another Hail Mary reclamation project to throw to the wolves.

https://i.ibb.co/Cwnpyk5/Screen-Shot-2023-05-11-at-5-45-28-pm.png (https://ibb.co/wdKZq9N)

azabob
11-05-2023, 07:22 PM
ROUND 9 TEAM

Carlton v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 13 May, 7.30pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Taylor Duryea, Liam Jones, Ed Richards
HB: Bailey Dale, Alex Keath, Jason Johannisen
C: Oskar Baker, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams
HF: Jack Macrae, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman
F: Arthur Jones, Aaron Naughton, Rory Lobb
R: Tim English, Bailey Smith, Tom Liberatore
Int: Ryan Gardner, Caleb Daniel, Anthony Scott, James O’Donnell
Emerg: Lachie McNeil, Mitch Hannan, Tim O’Brien, Jordon Sweet

IN: James O’Donnell
OUT: Adam Treloar (hamstring), Lachie McNeil (substitute)

whythelongface
11-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Wow. Very surprised- thought Busslinger would have been ahead of him. Like others more surprised that losing a mid wasn’t a like for like replacement. Says more about our lack of midfield depth than anything else.

Good luck to James. Hope he kills it.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-05-2023, 07:32 PM
Who is his man crush best friend?

What state does his sister play netball in?

I'm getting ahead of the trend and booking his famous family in for a motivational session before the price skyrockets.

While we're at it, let's sign his younger, less talented brother up to our category C list.

jazzadogs
11-05-2023, 07:34 PM
What do we see his role being? Surely 3rd tall with Jones and Keath, to provide cover on Curnow and McKay?

If the plan is for him to play wing, or any role other than what he has been playing in vfl, then I don't agree with that plan.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2023, 07:36 PM
Good for the kid. A lot of other guys playing VFL this week with bruised egos.

hujsh
11-05-2023, 07:38 PM
What do we see his role being? Surely 3rd tall with Jones and Keath, to provide cover on Curnow and McKay?

If the plan is for him to play wing, or any role other than what he has been playing in vfl, then I don't agree with that plan.

Then what's Gardner doing?

This is the biggest selection shock maybe ever and GVGjr said I was crazy (direct quote based on my memory) suggesting Bus should play...before O'Donnell was even on the list!

bulldogtragic
11-05-2023, 07:41 PM

This is the biggest selection shock maybe ever and GVGjr said I was crazy (direct quote based on my memory) suggesting Bus should play...before O'Donnell was even on the list!

Could be! I can’t think of something as radical.

macca
11-05-2023, 07:44 PM
I like it, its a complete shock ! throw off Voss's planning .

I have a feeling one of the backmen may be sore. I hope Gardner is ok, as we need him with his 100% TOG ability.

ratsmac
11-05-2023, 07:48 PM
This is a classic Bevo move. Remember 2015/16? This type of move was Bevo's go to and it worked! Since then not so much. When you think about it the team selection has been some what predictable which has been a change under the Bevo regime. I like it but that's not to say I'm not concerned.

Is this type of selection a bit of a back hander to the blokes battling away at Footscray? I do feel for Buku though because from all reports he's put his hand up as much as he could.

GVGjr
11-05-2023, 07:49 PM

Geez, I don't remember that at all, perhaps a sign of my age. :)
I've been impressed with Busslingers development since the end of Jan and wouldn't rule him out from playing some games before the end of the season.

BornInDroopSt'54
11-05-2023, 07:53 PM
Dale Morris. First game. Go and tag Andrew McLeod.

I bet he did the job.
Reports were at training, no-one played well on Dale

GVGjr
11-05-2023, 07:57 PM
I bet he did the job.

It was Scott West telling the coaches how hard it was to get a kick when pitted against Morris.

angelopetraglia
11-05-2023, 08:02 PM
I bet he did the job.

It was Chris Grant's 300th game. Darcy put on a clinic and kicked six goals. Look unstoppable that night. I would say almost at the height of his powers. He then did his knee the next week against the Cats at Kardinia Park.

Morris had nine touches. McLeod only had 8 touches.

"Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade can thank his assistant coaches for helping unearth a player good enough to keep Adelaide superstar Andrew McLeod under wraps in his debut AFL game.

Dale Morris' first game was one of the most pleasing aspects for the Bulldogs in last night's 31-point win over Adelaide, as the 22-year-old kept McLeod to just eight disposals only three days after he was promoted from the club's rookie list."

Link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/morris-makes-impressive-debut-20050425-gdl6ve.html

BornInDroopSt'54
11-05-2023, 08:07 PM
It was Chris Grant's 300th game. Darcy put on a clinic and kicked six goals. Look unstoppable that night. I would say almost at the height of his powers. He then did his knee the next week against the Cats at Kardinia Park.

Morris had nine touches. McLeod only had 8 touches.

"Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade can thank his assistant coaches for helping unearth a player good enough to keep Adelaide superstar Andrew McLeod under wraps in his debut AFL game.

Dale Morris' first game was one of the most pleasing aspects for the Bulldogs in last night's 31-point win over Adelaide, as the 22-year-old kept McLeod to just eight disposals only three days after he was promoted from the club's rookie list."

Link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/morris-makes-impressive-debut-20050425-gdl6ve.html

Ripper report thanks.
O'Donnell is number 18.

hujsh
11-05-2023, 08:15 PM
Geez, I don't remember that at all, perhaps a sign of my age. :)
I've been impressed with Busslingers development since the end of Jan and wouldn't rule him out from playing some games before the end of the season.

I think I was salty after the Saints match (maybe Port) and said we should play Bus (he did look good in the VFL) and you rightly said he's probably not ready just yet given his limited pre-season especially. Now my salty tantrum seems conservative in comparison to the reality

Dry Rot
11-05-2023, 08:15 PM
One of defenders must surely be injured and be a late out.

Keen VFL watchers - what do you make of this?

GVGjr
11-05-2023, 08:18 PM

They all trained on Wednesday so if this holds true it's a late out.

The bulldog tragician
11-05-2023, 08:20 PM
Could be! I can?t think of something as radical.
Ryan Gardner straight off rookie list into a side. We lost by 10 goals to WCE. Sorry to bring the mood down but I?ve never seen a more nervous debut.

1eyedog
11-05-2023, 08:20 PM
Bevo's on crack. Expect him on Curnow.

angelopetraglia
11-05-2023, 08:21 PM

Also, we lose our prime midfield mover. We replace with a light framed defender?

Before I Die
11-05-2023, 08:22 PM
The VFL report comments on his versatility and his club profile mention a growth spurt since he last played plus is athletic background. My guess, though it’s very unBevo, is that he is being brought in to tag Cripps. With Treloar missing Bevo may see this as a way to curtail Cripps without further curtailing our own midfield. O’Donnell may well be the only player we have in the VFL with the physical attributes, size and endurance, necessary to run with Cripps.

GVGjr
11-05-2023, 08:24 PM
Ryan Gardner straight off rookie list into a side. We lost by 10 goals to WCE. Sorry to bring the mood down but I?ve never seen a more nervous debut.

He'd been on the Cats list for 3 years I think and then played a lot for Footscray before the mid season draft.
From memory we played him at CHF and in the ruck and in his 2nd game that ploy got him injured.

Go_Dogs
11-05-2023, 08:26 PM
Interesting. No one saw that coming.

I wonder if to tag Cripps is a thing?

Glad Marra has got up. Feel he could be a positive against the Blues under the lid.

1eyedog
11-05-2023, 08:28 PM
Wowsers. Biggest selection bolter since Stephen Tiller went from VFL seconds to AFL seniors (from memory with a bye in between).

Big body in terms of bean stalkish? Can't throw this kid to the wolves why does Bevo hate us?

1eyedog
11-05-2023, 08:29 PM
The VFL report comments on his versatility and his club profile mention a growth spurt since he last played plus is athletic background. My guess, though it?s very unBevo, is that he is being brought in to tag Cripps. With Treloar missing Bevo may see this as a way to curtail Cripps without further curtailing our own midfield. O?Donnell may well be the only player we have in the VFL with the physical attributes, size and endurance, necessary to run with Cripps.

Lol he'll blow up late in the 2nd.

Is this the weirdest selection under Bevo? I think it is.

Grantysghost
11-05-2023, 08:37 PM
TFW (https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsGDwXbI4xK/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==) you've found another Hail Mary reclamation project to throw to the wolves.

https://i.ibb.co/Cwnpyk5/Screen-Shot-2023-05-11-at-5-45-28-pm.png (https://ibb.co/wdKZq9N)

Haha and you realise you agreed to it being filmed.

Grantysghost
11-05-2023, 08:38 PM
Think one of Keath or Gardiner comes out. JOD a has been our best performing back man by a long way at VFL level in his games. Brave call to go this early though.

Duryea out surely, SOS as a hbf.

jazzadogs
11-05-2023, 08:45 PM

Fair to say I forgot about him haha

azabob
11-05-2023, 08:48 PM
Duryea out surely, SOS as a hbf.

Ha! You wish.

bornadog
11-05-2023, 08:54 PM
Just got home and saw this. I am stunned to say the least

angelopetraglia
11-05-2023, 08:57 PM
Just got home and saw this. I am stunned to say the least

James is stunned. His Dad is stunned. The Woof community is stunned. Bevo works in mysterious ways.

EasternWest
11-05-2023, 09:39 PM
James is stunned. His Dad is stunned. The Woof community is stunned. Bevo works in mysterious ways.

In Jod we trust.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-05-2023, 09:49 PM
Wow.

I was pleased by what I had heard about JOD, but this is the most left field selection I've ever seen.

kruder
11-05-2023, 09:55 PM
I think it says more about Mclean,Mcomb,West,Mcsteal,Hannan and co to be honest. I'm really enjoying the turn around particularly defensively but there is no doubt the backend of our list needs a decent clean out, it was obvious watching the VFL last week.

bornadog
11-05-2023, 09:56 PM
Wow.

I was pleased by what I had heard about JOD, but this is the most left field selection I've ever seen.

I am just wondering where he plays? We have Jones (199cm), Keath (197), Gardner (197), and now JOD at 197 in the side, plus our three forward talls.

Rocco Jones
11-05-2023, 10:12 PM
I am just wondering where he plays? We have Jones (199cm), Keath (197), Gardner (197), and now JOD at 197 in the side, plus our three forward talls.

I think it's more about mobility rather than height. From what I've seen, he moves just as well as Doc, if not better. I might be wrong as I have only seen him on TV. Bont is 192cm and moves alright. I think JOD more medium/mobile tall in role I think. Caleb playing mid/fwd.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-05-2023, 10:14 PM

And Tim at 208 cm.

Is this Bevo attempting to get in the record books for fielding the tallest team in history. Jordon Sweet must be peeved.

macca
11-05-2023, 10:17 PM
And Tim at 208 cm.

Is this Bevo attempting to get in the record books for fielding the tallest team in history. Jordon Sweet must be peeved.

I don't really know where to put Sweet.

If Andrew Phillips better than Sweet ? Phillips been in the afl system since the giants been around and now starting to play regular football ?

Sweet is not Matthew Flynn who is a decent mark.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-05-2023, 10:17 PM
That's what i love about Bevo. He's always full of surprises

Growing up in the Beveridge household must have been an interesting experience.

jazzadogs
11-05-2023, 10:18 PM
I think it says more about Mclean,Mcomb,West,Mcsteal,Hannan and co to be honest. I'm really enjoying the turn around particularly defensively but there is no doubt the backend of our list needs a decent clean out, it was obvious watching the VFL last week.

Khamis the obviously unlucky one for me, in that they seem to have similar attributes.

HOSE B ROMERO
11-05-2023, 10:21 PM
I don't really know where to put Sweet.

If Andrew Phillips better than Sweet ? Phillips been in the afl system since the giants been around and now starting to play regular football ?

Sweet is not Matthew Flynn who is a descent mark.

Was just alluding to Sweetie being given a game because he's tall.

I don't think he's up to AFL standard but would play if Tim got injured. But maybe not...

lemmon
11-05-2023, 10:33 PM
Reckon it's the most surprising selection I've seen - maybe surpassing Andrew Hooper debuting in a final?

Surely he's been brought in for a specific role. Think it has to be that one of the talls backs will be a late out or they think he's suited to Cripps. Worry for me if it's the latter considering he didn't do a pre-season and may never have played midfield in his life!

bornadog
11-05-2023, 10:38 PM
Reckon it's the most surprising selection I've seen - maybe surpassing Andrew Hooper debuting in a final?

Surely he's been brought in for a specific role. Think it has to be that one of the talls backs will be a late out or they think he's suited to Cripps. Worry for me if it's the latter considering he didn't do a pre-season and may never have played midfield in his life!

Is JUH a late out?

FrediKanoute
11-05-2023, 10:43 PM
Khamis the obviously unlucky one for me, in that they seem to have similar attributes.

Haven't seen JoD play, but Khamis worries me about his footy smarts. Athletically he is amazing and if JUH is out he should come in, but I don't want him in the backline.

Mofra
11-05-2023, 10:47 PM
Cat B rookie with 35 days in the system debuts against the last two Coleman medalists.
Only Bevo

MrMahatma
11-05-2023, 10:54 PM
I wonder what is the tallest team in history? This would go close.

Mofra
11-05-2023, 10:56 PM
I wonder what is the tallest team in history? This would go close.
Round 1? Sam Darcy certainly bumped the average up a bit

Rocco Jones
11-05-2023, 10:58 PM
English. 208cm
Lobb 207cm
L Jones 199cm
Keath 198cm
Gardner 197cm
Ugle-Hagan 197cm
O'Donnell 197cm
Naugthton 196cm
Bontempelli 194cm

bornadog
11-05-2023, 11:00 PM
English. 208cm
Lobb 207cm
L Jones 199cm
Keath 198cm
Gardner 197cm
Ugle-Hagan 197cm
O'Donnell 197cm
Naugthton 196cm
Bontempelli 194cm
and Macrae 192cm

comrade
11-05-2023, 11:48 PM
Rocket would have killed for this height through 2008-2010. Not even our ruckman was 200cm!

jeemak
12-05-2023, 12:28 AM
Rocket would have killed for this height through 2008-2010. Not even our ruckman was 200cm!

Imagine a key forward as tall as Jacko!

hujsh
12-05-2023, 12:44 AM

He had Peter Street which is all the ruckman any coach needs

jeemak
12-05-2023, 01:21 AM
He had Peter Street which is all the ruckman any coach needs

PETER STREET!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wouKI_myXxk

Mantis
12-05-2023, 07:26 AM
I think it's more about mobility rather than height. From what I've seen, he moves just as well as Doc, if not better. I might be wrong as I have only seen him on TV. Bont is 192cm and moves alright. I think JOD more medium/mobile tall in role I think. Caleb playing mid/fwd.

Caleb has been playing mid/ forward so nothing changes there.

Our defenders last week were made up of the following 7 players - Jones, Gardner, Keath, Dale, Duryea, Richards & JJ? do we need an 8th? Maybe we do?

G-Mo77
12-05-2023, 08:47 AM
Cat B rookie with 35 days in the system debuts against the last two Coleman medalists.
Only Bevo

I'm excited about seeing a new player in the mix. I haven't watched much of Footscray this season so can't really comment too much on his form so bo debate from my end. Only Bevo you say, that has me worried. These left field selections normally end up poorly.

azabob
12-05-2023, 08:53 AM
Is JUH a late out?

I hope not as the emergencies are not a great like for like for Jamarra.

azabob
12-05-2023, 08:54 AM
Maybe Sam Darcy was earmarked to come in this week and his injury opened the door for O'Donnell?

D Mitchell
12-05-2023, 09:59 AM
Curious selection. There are already 3 197 cm plus Defenders selected where there looks to be a need for 2 only. Treloar brings pace to the mix. Pace replaced by height. What is lacking in the side is pace to facilitate pressure on the opposition in possession of the ball. In O'Donnell's 3 VFL games his totals are 46 disposals, 20 marks, impressive considering that in one of those games he was named on the bench, but 1 tackle so his selection isn't intended to improve pressure. Curious.

bornadog
12-05-2023, 10:01 AM
Curious selection. There are already 3 197 cm plus Defenders selected where there looks to be a need for 2 only. Treloar brings pace to the mix. Pace replaced by height. What is lacking in the side is pace to facilitate pressure on the opposition in possession of the ball. In O'Donnell's 3 VFL games his totals are 46 disposals, 20 marks, impressive considering that in one of those games he was named on the bench, but 1 tackle so his selection isn't intended to improve pressure. Curious.

My gut feel - he doesn't play in the backline.

Happy Days
12-05-2023, 10:01 AM
Wonder if there’s any resentment from some of the fringe guys over a guy who wasn’t at the club in March (and may be seen as having not put in the off season work) getting a game ahead of them.

Mantis
12-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Wonder if there’s any resentment from some of the fringe guys over a guy who wasn’t at the club in March (and may be seen as having not put in the off season work) getting a game ahead of them.

#playbetter

Happy Days
12-05-2023, 10:05 AM
#playbetter

But what if they hadn’t thought of that?

Mantis
12-05-2023, 10:14 AM

#playbetter.

I'm a big follower of pro golf and there has been talk about resentment amongst the players about the opportunities that have arisen over the past 12-18 months with LIV golf coming in and the re-vamped US Pgatour which has had a massive boost in prizemoney with ''elevated'' events where going forward only the top 60-80 players get a start... the simple statement coming back for those missing out is to play better and the opportunities will open up for them too.

azabob
12-05-2023, 10:19 AM

#playbetter

#playbetter.

I found this quite amusing.

#playerbetter
#postbetter

Happy Days
12-05-2023, 10:24 AM
I found this quite amusing.

#playerbetter
#postbetter

Never

GVGjr
12-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Potentially but there is genuine excitement across the group when players are given those debut games.
As excited as we are for JOD, from my perspective I hope it inspires the likes of Cleary and Khamis more than taking a bit of air out of their tyers.

MrMahatma
12-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Round 1? Sam Darcy certainly bumped the average up a bit

I got bored and checked.

Rd 1 average: 190.7cm
Rd 9 average: 190.2cm

Darcy v SOS, and Hannan v Cody the large differences.

(I used McNeil as 23rd man in Rd 9).

lemmon
12-05-2023, 11:26 AM
My gut feel - he doesn't play in the backline.

The more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued.

I just can't see him going to Cripps. Stopping Cripps happens at the stoppage, are we really going to rip up our stoppage structures, take out an actual midfielder and pop in a raw key back who may have never done a midfield drill in his life, let alone attended a centre bounce in a game of footy?

We know that Carlton lose when they play slow footy and bomb long, hoping for McKay and Curnow to mark against multiple opponents. We also know that our aerial intercept game has improved but still isn't great. From what we've seen of JoD - he seems like a pretty good option for that intercepting tall - he marks well, disposal is okay and covers the ground.

I wonder if we've brought him in with specifically that role in mind? Maybe he starts on a wing, Bailey Williams plays more inside the contest to take some of Treloar's minutes and O'Donnell rolls back to play as a relatively loose interceptor on an undersized opposition? That's my best guess at the minute, the plan is to really slow the Blues' ball movement and pick off the high ball.

Critter
12-05-2023, 11:55 AM
Potentially but there is genuine excitement across the group when players are given those debut games.
As excited as we are for JOD, from my perspective I hope it inspires the likes of Cleary and Khamis more than taking a bit of air out of their tyers.

Interesting then that they chose not to announce his selection in front of the playing group, but on a balcony at Whitten Oval with just the coach and a couple of support staff.

Critter
12-05-2023, 11:58 AM
If all players line up as selected on Saturday night, then with this selection Beveridge is taking a massive gamble with his cachet within the club, its supporters and, more particularly, the playing group. One reasonable game in the VFL - in a career to date spanning 3 VFL games and no senior football since leaving school - and O’Donnell leapfrogs the entire list of players not selected in this game. There’d have to be some noses out of joint.

It makes me think there has to be an injury yet to be announced.

If it’s Jamarra who comes out then this selection makes no sense at all, as either TOB or Buku would be a much better replacement that JOD - no matter how well the latter played in the VFL the other week. The only way this makes sense is if Liam Jones is injured and won’t play. Then I get it.

Otherwise, a whiff of ego hangs heavily in the air.

G-Mo77
12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
If all players line up as selected on Saturday night, then with this selection Beveridge is taking a massive gamble with his cachet within the club, its supporters and, more particularly, the playing group. One reasonable game in the VFL - in a career to date spanning 3 VFL games and no senior football since leaving school - and O’Donnell leapfrogs the entire list of players not selected in this game. There’d have to be some noses out of joint.

It makes me think there has to be an injury yet to be announced.

If it’s Jamarra who comes out then this selection makes no sense at all, as either TOB or Buku would be a much better replacement that JOD - no matter how well the latter played in the VFL the other week. The only way this makes sense is if Liam Jones is injured and won’t play. Then I get it.

Otherwise, a whiff of ego hangs heavily in the air.

I really want to celebrate this selection, I really do but like some of the things you highlighted Critters it seems rushed and it seems like a Bevo square peg, round hole selection. I'm not Footscray follower this season so like I said earlier I can't comment on how he has been playing so for all I know he's been outstanding? Like you said though, no games in 2 years, 3 VFL games it's a very odd selection.

I'm excited to see how he goes though, it's great for the kid.

Axe Man
12-05-2023, 12:36 PM
Has Bevo got a press conference today? Will be fascinating to hear his reasons for JOD's selection.

MrMahatma
12-05-2023, 12:41 PM
No way he plays on Cripps.

bulldogsthru&thru
12-05-2023, 01:20 PM
Interesting then that they chose not to announce his selection in front of the playing group, but on a balcony at Whitten Oval with just the coach and a couple of support staff.

That's a good point. Maybe it was really last second?

It's a very left field selection and I think it will put a few noses out of joint too. But it does depend where he's playing. No midfielder at footscray is banging the door down. If he plays defence though, you'd think Buku or Cleary would have gotten the nod.

ratsmac
12-05-2023, 01:23 PM
No way he plays on Cripps.

Cripps would be licking his lips if he saw JOD walking towards him at the start of the game. Surely Bevo isn't that silly

Rocco Jones
12-05-2023, 01:28 PM
From what I've seen from JOD at VFL level, I see him closer to role Hayden Crozier would play than a KPD. I think as fans we can overrate height in terms of lack of mobility. If you are mobile, it's a bonus to be tall. Also, you don't have to be tall to be immobile! I obviously don't know how JOD will transition to AFL and I have only watched him on TV but he seems to be more mobile than Doc.

I think we have the 3 KPDs, Ed, JOD, JJ and Dale sharing the back 6 TOG. With bench time, that pretty much fits. Caleb to play mid/fwd, he takes Adz' time with CBAs. Baz didn't have a CBA last week, so maybe he gets a few.

MrMahatma
12-05-2023, 01:32 PM
From what I've seen from JOD at VFL level, I see him closer to role Hayden Crozier would play than a KPD. I think as fans we can overrate height in terms of lack of mobility. If you are mobile, it's a bonus to be tall. Also, you don't have to be tall to be immobile! I obviously don't know how JOD will transition to AFL and I have only watched him on TV but he seems to be more mobile than Doc.

I think we have the 3 KPDs, Ed, JOD, JJ and Dale sharing the back 6 TOG. With bench time, that pretty much fits. Caleb to play mid/fwd, he takes Adz' time with CBAs. Baz didn't have a CBA last week, so maybe he gets a few.

Means Jack or Libba are trying to cool Cripps a bit, and maybe someone else goes with him around the ground.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2023, 01:32 PM

I thought this too. Maybe to have VFL coach there. He and the group would barely know each other ha! But yeah, I was thinking possible late out too.

1eyedog
12-05-2023, 01:49 PM
The more I think about it, the more I'm intrigued.

I just can't see him going to Cripps. Stopping Cripps happens at the stoppage, are we really going to rip up our stoppage structures, take out an actual midfielder and pop in a raw key back who may have never done a midfield drill in his life, let alone attended a centre bounce in a game of footy?

We know that Carlton lose when they play slow footy and bomb long, hoping for McKay and Curnow to mark against multiple opponents. We also know that our aerial intercept game has improved but still isn't great. From what we've seen of JoD - he seems like a pretty good option for that intercepting tall - he marks well, disposal is okay and covers the ground.

I wonder if we've brought him in with specifically that role in mind? Maybe he starts on a wing, Bailey Williams plays more inside the contest to take some of Treloar's minutes and O'Donnell rolls back to play as a relatively loose interceptor on an undersized opposition? That's my best guess at the minute, the plan is to really slow the Blues' ball movement and pick off the high ball.

He's playing the TOB third man up role down back to assist with Curnow and McKay.

lemmon
12-05-2023, 02:01 PM
He's playing the TOB third man up role down back to assist with Curnow and McKay.

Which is pretty curious considering TOB was doing a decent job of the TOB role and seems to be available for selection.

Axe Man
12-05-2023, 02:08 PM
MORE late changes are expected to be seen across the AFL after the League told clubs they had flexibility with their named 26-player squads.

Club football bosses met on Tuesday to be briefed on a range of matters, including the introduction of Tasmania's side and the likely list build concessions as well as other discussions on future trading and free agency rules.

Also up for discussion was the naming of teams, after the recent questioning from a number of senior coaches on why substitutes had to be listed as omissions from the starting 22 when they were locked in to be the tactical substitute. Each team names four emergencies as part of its squad.

But the AFL clarified the situation this week with clubs told they can operate with a mentality that any player from its list of four emergencies can be included in the starting 22 without explanation required and that the players who are late withdrawals can also all play at state league level.

Perhaps this clarification from the AFL this week was in our thinking. Basically clubs can change the makeup of their 22 from within their squad of 26 for any reason. The team that runs out may not be the current 22 and no injuries need be involved. We know Bevo likes to play games.

Mantis
12-05-2023, 02:45 PM

Which means there is no spot for one of Keath or Gardner??

I probably see Jones going to McKay, Gardner to Curnow and Keath to Silvagni/ 3rd man up... how do we fit in O'Donnell if all 3 mentioned are selected?

Rocco Jones
12-05-2023, 02:48 PM
Which means there is no spot for one of Keath or Gardner??

I probably see Jones going to McKay, Gardner to Curnow and Keath to Silvagni/ 3rd man up... how do we fit in O'Donnell if all 3 mentioned are selected?

I don't see him as KPD3 and more a guy who can intercept but also mobile enough to keep up with a non tall. My fear isn't him mobility but obviously stuff like getting lost/out of his depth playing AFL so soon.

MrMahatma
12-05-2023, 03:12 PM
Will need JJ & Dale to run, run, run it out of D50!

angelopetraglia
Bevo fronted the media today.

-James has done an entire pre-season with Footscray
-It is careless to say he has been here 35 days.
-He has been under our watch for a while. He is incredibly impressive.
-We thought he would not even complete a pre-season.
-Has has surprised us. Everything we have thrown at him he has been able to manage.
-He is tall. Athletically he is at the highest end.
-We have schooled him at a couple of roles. Where we may not have a lot of depth.
-He was originally an inside mid. A forward. Also a back.
-Played a handful of state league games and he has done well.
-We think he will go very well. It is a really big game. He is looking forward to it.
-It is one of the aspects that is pure and emotional in letting people know they are playing their first game.
-He is pretty versatile. We will put him in the mix somewhere. Sorry, I can't give it away.
-He won't be playing on Curnow or McKay that would be too much.
-In round #3 we had to make some changes, we are interested in how they will react.
-Liam Jones was talking about their defensive line today in our meeting. He has brought some insights.
-Jamarra is fine, he got through everything
-Josh Bruce is almost ready to go. Could be ready for selection next week.
-Sam has a puncture in the lung. He has had for a few weeks. We need to be careful with him. He could still take a number of weeks.
-Treloar. Hoping only this week and at the most another couple. That would be the best result. Adam is amazing, he can cope with things and still be an influential player. I told the boys today we will need to cover him as he has been fantastic this year.
-Dunkley. Had a great battle with Cripps. We looked at the tape. He played a terrific game. We watched every single stoppage. Cripps went to Neale at every stoppage which gave Dunkley some freedom. So he had freedom not only accountability. As we know Josh is a very good player, we didn't want to lose him. Every time Fagan says our recruiters have done a good job, it is another little dagger to the heart.
-Hopefully our troops can curb the influence of their good players. Will Cripps go to Marcus? Possibly. It is a little complicated what you try and and orchestrate.
-How do you help get Cody off the chain? He works so hard in team defence. Cody will get the rewards at some time. We need to ensure that he is not a sitting duck. He gets sat on because he is a good player. We need to help him.

Mantis
I don't see him as KPD3 and more a guy who can intercept but also mobile enough to keep up with a non tall. My fear isn't him mobility but obviously stuff like getting lost/out of his depth playing AFL so soon.

We're certainly doubling in that area with already 2 or 3 others who play the role being suggested.

I'm intrigued to see how we line up, and how we use the debutant.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2023, 03:13 PM
Will need JJ & Dale to run, run, run it out of D50!

Ed's not too bad and TOD also okay if he can keep his head/not be overawed. I think we are really going with defence over attack down back though, yeah.

lemmon
12-05-2023, 03:16 PM

I think the other interesting thing with the Blues' forward line is that, Silvagni aside, their smalls are genuine smalls - they don't really have a 'hybrid' forward in their team. Durdin, Motlop and Owies are all sub-180cm players and particularly agile on the deck.

I haven't seen O'Donnell play but if we are going the 4 bigs, one of them will have their work cut out if/when they end up opposed to one of the mosquito fleet.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2023, 03:27 PM
We're certainly doubling in that area with already 2 or 3 others who play the role being suggested.

I'm intrigued to see how we line up, and how we use the debutant.

Yep. Obviously match ups will change and I see JOD really being a team defence contribution selection. Basically, I guess I see us as going:
- Jones v Curnow
- Keath v McKay
- Gardner v Silvagni (opponent JOD suits most though I'd think)
- JOD maybe on an undersized opponent who isn't too dangerous. Allows him to help intercept/be the extra tall
- Ed, Dale and Doc doing their thing on smaller guys.

- Gardner v

Rocco Jones
12-05-2023, 03:30 PM
I think the other interesting thing with the Blues' forward line is that, Silvagni aside, their smalls are genuine smalls - they don't really have a 'hybrid' forward in their team. Durdin, Motlop and Owies are all sub-180cm players and particularly agile on the deck.

I haven't seen O'Donnell play but if we are going the 4 bigs, one of them will have their work cut out if/when they end up opposed to one of the mosquito fleet.

Yep. They seem to have Owies and Durdin there to create a bit of pressure but aren't particularly dangerous in terms of scoreboard. Perhaps we are trying to expose them there, playing JOD on either Owies and Durdin, hoping they don't offer too much of a risk leaking goal wise and allowing JOD to offer aerial support.

Mantis
12-05-2023, 03:31 PM
Yep. Obviously match ups will change and I see JOD really being a team defence contribution selection. Basically, I guess I see us as going:
- Jones v Curnow
- Keath v McKay
- Gardner v Silvagni (opponent JOD suits most though I'd think)
- JOD maybe on an undersized opponent who isn't too dangerous. Allows him to help intercept/be the extra tall
- Ed, Dale and Doc doing their thing on smaller guys.

And JJ?

I can't see how one of Keath or Gardner doesn't play... it doesn't make sense otherwise.

bornadog
12-05-2023, 03:34 PM

-We have schooled him at a couple of roles. Where we may not have a lot of depth.
-He was originally an inside mid. A forward. Also a back.

Thanks for the details as I missed this today. The above two areas are the important factors to take out of JOD selection. This tells me he doesn't particularly play in defence

angelopetraglia
12-05-2023, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the details as I missed this today. The above two areas are the important factors to take out of JOD selection. This tells me he doesn't particularly play in defence

The inference from Bevo was that he has shot up lately. Before that he is was a natural inside mid. He is also supremely talented athletically. He also mentioned that they did something similar with Ed Richards, Dale and Bailey Williams. Play them in a number of positions. Teach them all aspects of the game. He can play many roles. He is versatile.

lemmon
12-05-2023, 03:43 PM
-He is tall. Athletically he is at the highest end.
-He is pretty versatile. We will put him in the mix somewhere. Sorry, I can't give it away.

Feels like a game of Cluedo!

I'm only half joking, but we're absolutely sure English is fit and they don't see O'Donnell as a hybrid ruck, aren't we? ;)

angelopetraglia
12-05-2023, 03:47 PM
Feels like a game of Cluedo!

I'm only half joking, but we're absolutely sure English is fit and they don't see O'Donnell as a hybrid ruck, aren't we? ;)

Ha. I would not put anything past Bevo. But it sounds like he will be a 3rd intercepting tall.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2023, 03:50 PM
And JJ?

I can't see how one of Keath or Gardner doesn't play... it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Oh yeah I forgot JJ. Him too. Shit. My maths out ha.

I don't see it as too many talls as much as I see it as too many guys suited to backline. Maybe Dale and/or JOD share wing time? I see JOD from my limited time watching his limited time in VFL on TV as being suited to a role on the wing but has he even played there since turning 17 ha? JJ I definitely think we need to keep at HBF. Dale been struggling. I wanted him to tried on the wing during pre-season. Dale could go forward as well perhaps?

Mofra
12-05-2023, 03:54 PM
For all we know JOD will sit on Hollands all game and completely kill their outside run. Acres started well but is declining week on week.

Rocco Jones
12-05-2023, 04:07 PM
For all we know JOD will sit on Hollands all game and completely kill their outside run. Acres started well but is declining week on week.

Yep. That's a good stab at it.

Mitcha
12-05-2023, 04:08 PM
Is anyone else thinking JOD to play as a tall athletic winger which then releases Bailey Williams back into the midfield where he spends some time working Cripps over with his bigger frame and ability to also find the footy himself which he did frequently as a junior back in SA. Means our structure doesn't really change that much other than losing Treloar's leg speed.

Critter
12-05-2023, 04:18 PM
Is anyone else thinking JOD to play as a tall athletic winger which then releases Bailey Williams back into the midfield where he spends some time working Cripps over with his bigger frame and ability to also find the footy himself which he did frequently as a junior back in SA. Means our structure doesn't really change that much other than losing Treloar's leg speed.

This is well within the bounds of possibility. Good thinking.

MrMahatma
12-05-2023, 04:37 PM
I just don't reckon JOD is gonna have the tank to do anything except play pretty much D50. I hope he does but the pace and distance he'd need to cover the ground as a wing etc would be way above anything he's ever done.

bornadog
12-05-2023, 09:58 PM
https://scontent.fmel16-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/346617757_621246489604537_3321980007917827178_n.jpg?stp=cp6_ dst-jpg&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=CtUntiGJ4P0AX8dm203&_nc_ht=scontent.fmel16-1.fna&oh=00_AfBA2GPcXxtX9vvbk9A4v0Jz78VbyjQRFfxkXZww6l1-mw&oe=6462D1FB

1eyedog
12-05-2023, 11:29 PM
I just don't reckon JOD is gonna have the tank to do anything except play pretty much D50. I hope he does but the pace and distance he'd need to cover the ground as a wing etc would be way above anything he's ever done.

Yeah no chance. Deep back.

Bulldog Joe
13-05-2023, 07:40 AM

It is Bevo.

Anything is possible.

Happy Days
13-05-2023, 10:01 AM

Bevo specifically ruled out playing on McKay or Curnow.

Happy Days
13-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Honestly I know he’s only been in the AFL for 5 weeks and I’ve never seen him play but am willing to bet he’s better than Jack Silvagni.

bornadog
13-05-2023, 08:03 PM
No late changes

McNeil sub