PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 10 v Adelaide

Scraggers
30-04-2023, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Nine match against Carlton for our Round Ten match against Adelaide at Mars on Saturday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
13-05-2023, 11:06 AM
Bump

JanLorMill
13-05-2023, 11:49 PM
Maybe we can try to replace Treloar this week?

bornadog
13-05-2023, 11:52 PM

Hopefully he is back

azabob
13-05-2023, 11:52 PM

With Treloar?

azabob
14-05-2023, 12:03 AM
Does English need a rest?
He hasn’t been great the last few weeks and really stunk it up tonight bad except the last 7 minutes.

jazzadogs
14-05-2023, 12:26 AM
Cody's groin looked sore late, I hope he's alright.

I thought Marra played alright considering he was also under a cloud.

It's hard to see JOD getting to back it up - if the purpose of his selection was to be the third tall and disrupt the interceptors, allowing Lobb to play loose across defence and protect against their talls...then that is less necessary against the Crows. Their dangerous forwards are smaller, and their interceptors are not of the height and quality of Weitering/Mcgovern.

bornadog
14-05-2023, 12:27 AM
Does English need a rest?
He hasn’t been great the last few weeks and really stunk it up tonight bad except the last 7 minutes.

No way

jeemak
14-05-2023, 01:14 AM
It's a massive game for us next week. A win gives us a buffer in the eight, most likely, whilst Melbourne vs. Port, Freo vs. Geelong, Carlton vs. Collingwood and GWS vs. St Kilda all have an impact on our positioning.

Providing we're all good from an injury point of view I'd like to see us go back to our conventional set up and that would see JOD out. Not sure who comes in yet, but I think we want a bit more run in the side against Adelaide.

Vred
14-05-2023, 02:33 AM
If we're looking to replace JOD who played up forward tonight, it would be Buku.
If Treloar is ready, that's a simple swap.

Weightman was pretty terrible up until the 4th, not sure what's going on with him but he looks like his lost confidence.

jeemak
14-05-2023, 05:21 AM
If we're looking to replace JOD who played up forward tonight, it would be Buku.
If Treloar is ready, that's a simple swap.

Weightman was pretty terrible up until the 4th, not sure what's going on with him but he looks like his lost confidence.

With Weightman I'd say it's paying the price for a limited preseason. In his position he just needs to run and run, and after the first week or two I reckon he's fatigued. But, he's getting miles in the tank and should get better.

GVGjr
14-05-2023, 09:36 AM
With Weightman I'd say it's paying the price for a limited preseason. In his position he just needs to run and run, and after the first week or two I reckon he's fatigued. But, he's getting miles in the tank and should get better.

He only missed a couple of sessions and trained in the rehab for all the others. They still work the players pretty hard.
Missing some training or being in the rehab group might be a slight factor in his poor form but the fact that he was able to push into the midfield in the 4th quarter and make an impact indicates to me that perhaps he hasn't yet adjusted to the new dynamic's of the forward line more than a fitness or a fatigue issue.

jazzadogs
14-05-2023, 10:55 AM

On the telecast they showed him getting his adductors/groin worked on, and then he was seen running very 'proppy'. I think he is learning to work through soreness, which is a real skill.

I loved that he was able to have an impact on the game in the final quarter.

Dogs 24/7
14-05-2023, 11:32 AM
Hard to know if we should stick with ODonnell but there must be more deserving players on our list.

Mofra
14-05-2023, 11:49 AM
I have JOD out - as for ins, we'll find out today. Ideally a running player in - McNeill if no VFL players put their hands up

BornInDroopSt'54
14-05-2023, 12:43 PM
If no injuries, no change to a winning team, O'Donnell included.
It would be ridiculous having selected him in such a manner, a very deliberate, considered and bold selection, win then say our bad...

EasternWest
14-05-2023, 01:11 PM
Beveridge almost never takes out a first gamer after one game. I think JOD plays again.

Danjul
14-05-2023, 02:11 PM
If no injuries, no change to a winning team, O'Donnell included.
It would be ridiculous having selected him in such a manner, a very deliberate, considered and bold selection, win then say our bad...
Cannot agree with this. There are better four letter words than bold that could be applied.

It was not a sensible selection decision and until the last 3 or 4 minutes it had put our season at risk.

The win was despite selection decisions. This club was in a grand final two years ago. What?s been going on since then?

Carlton forwards threw away the game in the first half with some of the worst shots at goal that I have ever seen. We won because our backmen played exceptionally well both individually and as a cohesive group under enormous pressure. The 5 consecutive goals that Carlton put together could have also happened earlier but they prevented them.

That functionality was missing on the forward line (except for the last 5 minutes) and that should be addressed. I saw improvement but we need better forward craft to enhance good individual efforts.

Since when does a feel-good selection outweigh a tactically sound decision?

He might be a superstar down the track, I hope so, but last night was an insult to a few players who are working hard and would probably have done better.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2023, 03:08 PM
Of course we should always to improve our side as much as possible but I think as fans we can massively overrate the effect of the 22nd guy picked. They aren't the ones really winning or losing the game. Again, want to stress, of course we do what we can to improve the side as much as possible.

With JOD, I think it was largely tactically related to the opponent. I feel dropping him after one game would be a bit different. Crows are pretty dangerous with the smalls and quality small users.

I'd say JOD out but can definitely live with him being in or a sub. McNeil either comes in or plays a full one at VFL level. I am really huge on filling the side out with runners or guys who can play a role as small or medium forward. Bevo isn't going to let a player he doesn't fully trust with CBAs, so no point really picking West or McLean unless they look great forward in the VFL. VDM or perhaps Hannan.

dadsgirl16
14-05-2023, 04:01 PM
Watching the VFL game..none of this lot are going to get selected!

1eyedog
14-05-2023, 04:15 PM
Cannot agree with this. There are better four letter words than bold that could be applied.

It was not a sensible selection decision and until the last 3 or 4 minutes it had put our season at risk.

The win was despite selection decisions. This club was in a grand final two years ago. What?s been going on since then?

Carlton forwards threw away the game in the first half with some of the worst shots at goal that I have ever seen. We won because our backmen played exceptionally well both individually and as a cohesive group under enormous pressure. The 5 consecutive goals that Carlton put together could have also happened earlier but they prevented them.

That functionality was missing on the forward line (except for the last 5 minutes) and that should be addressed. I saw improvement but we need better forward craft to enhance good individual efforts.

Since when does a feel-good selection outweigh a tactically sound decision?

He might be a superstar down the track, I hope so, but last night was an insult to a few players who are working hard and would probably have done better.

Agree 100% with everything you've said.

Hotdog60
14-05-2023, 04:15 PM

agree, if it wasn't for the bad kicking this game would be done and dusted.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2023, 04:28 PM

Maybe Cleary.

josie
14-05-2023, 04:36 PM

Cleary is probably best but yeah, pretty poor. West undisciplined (win a free kick with great tackle and play tough guy only to rightly have it reversed, the 50 after that was poor umpiring though) and cannot believe he did not put his body over the ball rather than lean back when kicking for goal. He is better than that and is only letting himself down.

D Mitchell
14-05-2023, 04:46 PM

19 scoring shots to 24. Give 'em 3 of the 4 difference in the 1st Quarter, we still win. Don't change a winning side unless
(a) there's a gun, treloar, to come back in; or
(b) ?

D Mitchell
14-05-2023, 05:05 PM
Beveridge almost never takes out a first gamer after one game. I think JOD plays again.
and why not ? the jump from VFL to AFL ? 3 games is the least. Jones took 5 games to score and now he's exhaulted as the next Lally Bamblett.

Mofra
14-05-2023, 05:22 PM
I really like the signs Charlie Clarke is showing. Just a few 'smart' things that would translate well to AFL. He might be ready in a few weeks.
Cleary is an AFL player, just needs opportunity and time.

Hoping Treloar is right to go.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2023, 05:33 PM
I really like the signs Charlie Clarke is showing. Just a few 'smart' things that would translate well to AFL. He might be ready in a few weeks.
Cleary is an AFL player, just needs opportunity and time.

Hoping Treloar is right to go.

I was going to say the same about Clarke. His performance today a bit like the opposite of when McLean gets it 40+ times in the VFL in terms of translation to AFL.

Clearly and TOB our two best from what I've seen but I think spot in our side would be for a small/medium forward and/or runner. Clearly would mean perhaps Dale moves up the ground.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2023, 06:04 PM
Watching most of that VFL game, I'd go with McNeil starting and either JOD or Cleary as sub. I like Cleary but we either have to drop Doc or move Dale up the ground for him to fit I think.

SlimPickens
14-05-2023, 06:22 PM
Bring McNeil in. Make JOD the sub.

5 day break for the VFL doesn’t helped. Although noted McLean played limited minutes in the VFL so might be a consideration

westbulldog
14-05-2023, 10:01 PM

The "bad kicking or Carlton win" theory overlooks Duryea 0-1 (sitter), Naughton 1-3, Ugle-Hagen 1-2, Scott
3-1 (sitter missed from what, 15m out ?)

Anyway, fwiw I would have Cleary in and Duryea out.

Hotdog60
14-05-2023, 11:32 PM
Sorry that was about the Werribee Tigers and no one in the VFL putting their hand up.
If the Tigers had kicked straight the game would have been over a lot earlier.

GVGjr
15-05-2023, 08:51 AM
This is a massive game for both clubs and Adelaide have been one of the more surprising teams this season. They've been extracting the best out of their youngsters and then players at the other end of their football journey like Taylor Walker are proving they still have a lot to offer.

I don't see us making any changes unless Treloar is available and I'll be hoping that Naughton, Lobb and Marra really make an impact for us this week.

angelopetraglia
15-05-2023, 09:28 AM
The weather/conditions may impact who we play.

Current Ballarat Forecast for Saturday

Low 4c Max 12c

Partly cloudy. Very high chance of showers. Light winds becoming west to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-05-2023, 09:48 AM
The weather/conditions may impact who we play.

Current Ballarat Forecast for Saturday

Low 4c Max 12c

Partly cloudy. Very high chance of showers. Light winds becoming west to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day.

Will rain limit the damage the crows can do? I haven't watched much of them but they like to move the ball very quickly don't they?

GVGjr
15-05-2023, 10:25 AM
Will rain limit the damage the crows can do? I haven't watched much of them but they like to move the ball very quickly don't they?

Not sure but they do have some impressive and strong midfielders and medium sized forwards we will need to contend with.

ReLoad
15-05-2023, 11:06 AM
There's no way O'donnell should play, the conditions will be polar opposites for the need of a player of his type.

As much as it pangs me to say it, we need a mcomb or similar.

There is no way we should play treloar in these conditions either, its Hammy snapping territory.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-05-2023, 11:10 AM
This will be a big test.

Adelaide are a very capable team.

hujsh
15-05-2023, 11:40 AM
There's no way O'donnell should play, the conditions will be polar opposites for the need of a player of his type.

As much as it pangs me to say it, we need a mcomb or similar.

There is no way we should play treloar in these conditions either, its Hammy snapping territory.

McComb might be a big body but his lack of skill will probably be further exposed. My expectation is worse conditions for handling the ball will offset any 'leveling' effect of the rain on kicking skills. That said I'm not sure we have anyone sitting in the reserves that does have the skills to thrive in the wet (maybe Cleary?) so I'd maybe chuck McNeil in for his pressure.

Happy Days
15-05-2023, 12:14 PM
This will be what our fourth game this year in the wet? And do we ever play a home game at Marvel again?

I’d definitely be bringing in McNeil for JOD and maybe Cleary or Crozier for Keath or Gardner.

azabob
15-05-2023, 05:54 PM
Tom Doedee has entered AFL conconcussion protocols and will miss this week.

bornadog
15-05-2023, 05:57 PM
Tom Doedee has entered AFL concussion protocols and will miss this week.

Adz still 1 to 2 weeks away.

I will go with NO CHANGE.

Axe Man
15-05-2023, 06:07 PM
Tom Doedee has entered AFL conconcussion protocols and will miss this week.

That's handy. Along with Billy Frampton not being on their list anymore to take a million intercept marks like in the corresponding game last year we should go in with some confidence, despite the Crows good form.

Bulldog Joe
15-05-2023, 06:11 PM
I think Khamis has some claims to replace O'Donell.

GVGjr
15-05-2023, 06:15 PM
That's handy. Along with Billy Frampton not being on their list anymore to take a million intercept marks like in the corresponding game last year we should go in with some confidence, despite the Crows good form.

Nick Murray missed last week as well. He's probably been their best tall defender.

Go_Dogs
15-05-2023, 06:50 PM
Not sure but they do have some impressive and strong midfielders and medium sized forwards we will need to contend with.

I have seen them live twice this year.

They’re fast, and when they move the ball quickly they create a lot of space in their F50 and lots of pressure at ground level.

Against Collingwood as the midfield transition was slowed Darcy Moore was able to become very effective down the line as Collingwood pressed. They couldn’t quite get the body on him and keep him out of the contest, albeit a few times they tried.

They will rely a lot on forward half pressure and forcing a switch / slow ball movement with their field position, so we’ll also need to be decisive when we’ve got it.

Going to be a tough game.

McNeil in for JOD my only change.

Rocco Jones
15-05-2023, 10:27 PM
JOD seemed a strategy based selection coming up against the Blues. I'm start McNeil to give us more run.

This week we have the Crows. They have Walker and Thilthrope (who also will spend a bit of time relieving ROB in the ruck). They don't play any tall forwards.

Jones and Gardner spend about 5% of game on the bench combined. Crows have one tall forward on for about 50% and two for 50%.

Add to this that it will probably rain, I think playing Keath is a bad idea. I'd bring in TOB or Clearly for Keath. I'd go with TOB just to be on the safe side if an injury to a big happens. I'd also bring in Cleary for Doc anyway and have Doc as the sub but get we will probably not want to make changes to a backline that is working well.

In short:
Out: JOD, Keath
In: McNeil, TOG
Sub: Cleary

jeemak
16-05-2023, 02:17 AM
JOD seemed a strategy based selection coming up against the Blues. I'm start McNeil to give us more run.

This week we have the Crows. They have Walker and Thilthrope (who also will spend a bit of time relieving ROB in the ruck). They don't play any tall forwards.

Jones and Gardner spend about 5% of game on the bench combined. Crows have one tall forward on for about 50% and two for 50%.

Add to this that it will probably rain, I think playing Keath is a bad idea. I'd bring in TOB or Clearly for Keath. I'd go with TOB just to be on the safe side if an injury to a big happens. I'd also bring in Cleary for Doc anyway and have Doc as the sub but get we will probably not want to make changes to a backline that is working well.

In short:

I get it, but I wouldn't do it.

Keath isn't playing amazing footy and is prone to one/ two bed shitting/s a week - but he always has had that in him and I think it's our perception of him that's changed more than anything else outside of his pace I guess. We need all three big defenders playing with each other each week because that's the only way our defencive unit will continue to improve.

azabob
16-05-2023, 09:48 AM

Who goes to Darcy Fogarty? He is capable of kicking 5+

Mantis
16-05-2023, 10:06 AM

You would think Gardner seems the logical matchup for Fogarty.

Axe Man
16-05-2023, 10:09 AM

At 194cm and 100kgs he is a big forward and requires one of our KPDs. We still need 3 KPDs this week but definitely not 4. Bruce can resume in the VFL if he's right to go.

Bulldog Joe
16-05-2023, 10:31 AM
At 194cm and 100kgs he is a big forward and requires one of our KPDs. We still need 3 KPDs this week but definitely not 4. Bruce can resume in the VFL if he's right to go.

I would think Gardner is the match for Fogarty.

Fogarty is a marking player and Gards should have him for pace.

Their smalls are the threat particularly if it is wet.

angelopetraglia
16-05-2023, 10:38 AM
Bevo. JOD will most likely play again this week. Bruce is most likely to come back via the VFL. Treloar is at least a couple more weeks away.

Mantis
16-05-2023, 10:38 AM
In - McNeil, Cleary (sub)
Out - O’Donnell

Not sure we need to change too much at present.. some good tests ahead which will paint a clearer picture on what our team should look like in the 2nd half of the season.

angelopetraglia
16-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Bevo. Darcy is still some time away.

angelopetraglia
16-05-2023, 10:40 AM
In - McNeil, Cleary (sub)
Out - O’Donnell

Not sure we need to change too much at present.. some good tests ahead which will paint a clearer picture on what our team should look like in the 2nd half of the season.

Bevo currently live on the presser. Just said JOD will most likely play again. Give him another chance once he has got a taste.

Mantis
16-05-2023, 10:43 AM
Bevo currently live on the presser. Just said JOD will most likely play again. Give him another chance once he has got a taste.

Yeah I saw that…. I know Bevo has big wraps on JOD and I understand the want to fast track him with senior games, but conditions won’t suit and not sure we can carry a player who may not contribute against a fairly good team.

Lots of opportunities ahead for JOD, but not sure a game in Ballarat against a slick team is one of those.

angelopetraglia
16-05-2023, 10:46 AM
Yeah I saw that…. I know Bevo has big wraps on JOD and I understand the want to fast track him with senior games, but conditions won’t suit and not sure we can carry a player who may not contribute against a fairly good team.

Lots of opportunities ahead for JOD, but not sure a game in Ballarat against a slick team is one of those.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, I was just paraphrasing Bevo. However, from what Bevo just said, he is a lock.

Mofra
16-05-2023, 10:46 AM

In short:
They also have Fogerty, and gun small forwards.
It's be tempted to debut Charlie Clarke and give Weightman some more rotations, giving us the option of rolling Caleb back if we need to stop their smalls

Mantis
16-05-2023, 10:50 AM
They also have Fogerty, and gun small forwards.
It's be tempted to debut Charlie Clarke and give Weightman some more rotations, giving us the option of rolling Caleb back if we need to stop their smalls

Clarke seems a long way off from a physical stand point… plus would like to think that the mix of JJ, Dale, Richards and Duryea give us enough cover for their small/ mid sized forwards.

Curly5
16-05-2023, 10:59 AM
With a hole in the lung :eek: I wouldn't expect Sam to be back before the bye at least.

MrMahatma
16-05-2023, 12:07 PM
This is such a huge match. The crows are great to watch and loaded with talent. We can 100% take them down but it won't be easy. Given match-ups around us on the ladder this weekend, this is a huge opportunity to continue the move up the ladder and stake a real claim on top 4.

We need to limit their I50s cause their fwd line is dangerous.

If it's wet, I'd be bringing in McLean as a bigger body who can get his hands dirty, and dropping JOD. Apart from that, we have the squad to get to work and win.

Axe Man
16-05-2023, 12:10 PM
At this early stage the forecast isn't that bad with 0-2mm and:

Very high chance of showers, most likely later in the day.

Of course that will likely change but the majority of the game could be dry.

Happy Days
16-05-2023, 12:45 PM
Surely Clarke isn’t getting a game off the back of 6 disposals and 0.1 in the twos.

hujsh
16-05-2023, 12:49 PM
Surely Clarke isn’t getting a game off the back of 6 disposals and 0.1 in the twos.

Much as O'Donnell was a surprising inclusion he was at least getting 15+ disposals regularly.

Matjoh
16-05-2023, 06:56 PM
Big big game. Just when we start looking good we tend to stuff up. The crows will test us again. I feel a need for speed but we don't have a lot to inject. We know no Adz, Flea looked sore, and assuming Bevo isn't playing games he said JOD is in.
So McNeill in for JOD who subs. IF JOD is a fake call then either VDM or Crozier in, both if Flea is out. I would have liked Roarke Smith in but he's still weeks away.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-05-2023, 12:11 AM
With a hole in the lung :eek: I wouldn't expect Sam to be back before the bye at least.
Not a hole but a collapsed lung wasn't it?

BornInDroopSt'54
17-05-2023, 12:14 AM
Big big game. Just when we start looking good we tend to stuff up. The crows will test us again. I feel a need for speed but we don't have a lot to inject. We know no Adz, Flea looked sore, and assuming Bevo isn't playing games he said JOD is in.
So McNeill in for JOD who subs. IF JOD is a fake call then either VDM or Crozier in, both if Flea is out. I would have liked Roarke Smith in but he's still weeks away.

We are all good.
You worry too much :)

jeemak
17-05-2023, 12:29 AM
Not a hole but a collapsed lung wasn't it?

It's mostly a misleading term, collapsed lung. Usually air needs to escape to the chest cavity to then put pressure on the outside of the lung to stop it from expanding.

In other cases lungs are just soft cocks.

Critter
17-05-2023, 10:29 AM
TOB played really well in the Footscray game on the weekend. JOD struggled, as you'd expect from someone who had been selected well before he was ready. Maybe common sense will prevail and we'll see a swap on Saturday.

Axe Man
17-05-2023, 10:36 AM
TOB played really well in the Footscray game on the weekend. JOD struggled, as you'd expect from someone who had been selected well before he was ready. Maybe common sense will prevail and we'll see a swap on Saturday.

Are you suggesting TOB plays forward? He hasn't really played there since his Hawks days has he? I guess it didn't stop us playing JOD forward after 3 games in the backline in the VFL.

Boots
17-05-2023, 11:01 AM
I don't have much evidence for the below, call it gut feel.

I suspect we will go in with no changes, given what Bevo has said about JOD.

I also suspect we won't try too hard to negate their forward line because I don't think we can deal well with fast smalls. I think it's going to be mostly decided in the midfield, but because of the weather it won't be a shootout but an arm wrestle.

I suspect we will win the clearance count given recent form, and Marra and Naughton will do well even in the wet. However, they may have the edge because of Cameron, who always gets away from us and scores 3-5.

bornadog
17-05-2023, 11:38 AM
I don't have much evidence for the below, call it gut feel.

I suspect we will go in with no changes, given what Bevo has said about JOD.

I also suspect we won't try too hard to negate their forward line because I don't think we can deal well with fast smalls. I think it's going to be mostly decided in the midfield, but because of the weather it won't be a shootout but an arm wrestle.

I suspect we will win the clearance count given recent form, and Marra and Naughton will do well even in the wet. However, they may have the edge because of Cameron, who always gets away from us and scores 3-5.

Cameron who ? ;)

Axe Man
17-05-2023, 11:47 AM
Cameron who ? ;)

Maybe Charlie Cameron has returned to the Crows after all these years?

MrMahatma
17-05-2023, 12:14 PM

I think Leon has snuck down there for a hit out.

Boots
17-05-2023, 12:23 PM

Oops, my bad. That was some crazy bad "gut instinct". :D

I have nothing to say in my own defence. Assume my whole post is invalidated haha

Axe Man
17-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Oops, my bad. That was some crazy bad "gut instinct". :D

I have nothing to say in my own defence. Assume my whole post is invalidated haha

That would be some rotten luck if we had to face Charlie vs both the Cows and the Bears.

Boots
17-05-2023, 12:30 PM
That would be some rotten luck if we had to face Charlie vs both the Cows and the Bears.

I think I said in the 2023 season redemption thread that I don't quite trust the team yet - apparently I don't trust anyone else's list management either

Critter
17-05-2023, 04:20 PM
TOB can play either end. As you say, he spent a bit of time forward at Hawthorn. He's an accurate kick, can take a good grab and is mobile. Nice attributes for a forward. His flexibility would be useful should Keath or Gardner have some flighty moments. We play North in a few weeks, I reckon that's the time to play JOD again

Scraggers
17-05-2023, 06:02 PM
With Riley Thilthorpe out and Tex under a cloud, it may be an opportunity to bolster our midfield and drop a tall defender. Given the weather forecast as well, I would give Keath the afternoon off and bring in Tim O'Brien to replace him. (not that TOB would play midfield) I would also give JOD the arvo off but apparently Bevo has committed to him playing this weekend.

bornadog
17-05-2023, 06:06 PM
With Riley Thilthorpe out and Tex under a cloud, it may be an opportunity to bolster our midfield and drop a tall defender. Given the weather forecast as well, I would give Keath the afternoon off and bring in Tim O'Brien to replace him. (not that TOB would play midfield) I would also give JOD the arvo off but apparently Bevo has committed to him playing this weekend.

Unless Bevo is thinking JOD for sub

angelopetraglia
17-05-2023, 06:07 PM
Forecast is looking more grim.

Min 5 Max 11
Rainfall 1mm to 3mm
Chance of rain 95%

Cloudy. Very high chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. Light winds becoming northwesterly 20 to 25 km/h during the morning then tending westerly 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

azabob
17-05-2023, 07:08 PM

Which midfielder you bringing in?

D Mitchell
17-05-2023, 09:27 PM
Hard to know if we should stick with ODonnell but there must be more deserving players on our list.
Selection shouldn't be merely a reward for the deserving. The most important consideration should be what the electee can contribute, well, what the Coach perceives his contribution to be. Falling away, rapidly, after that is reward for performance in the 2s, further down, development of the incumbent. Bev must have seen something in O'Donnell that would contribute to a win and we won. I want young O'Donnell, the son of a bloke who struck a century in his first appearance at Lords, to succeed but only if he contributes.

Grantysghost
17-05-2023, 09:33 PM
Forecast is looking more grim.

Min 5 Max 11
Rainfall 1mm to 3mm
Chance of rain 95%

Cloudy. Very high chance of showers, most likely in the morning and afternoon. Light winds becoming northwesterly 20 to 25 km/h during the morning then tending westerly 15 to 25 km/h during the day.

Think of the cash though.

We've got a roof!

Scraggers
18-05-2023, 01:59 PM
Which midfielder you bringing in?

Against Carlton, Caleb had a few runs through the midfield at centre bounces. Given that TOB can play big or small, I would give Caleb more midfield time and TOB can play there or replace Keath. Both Caleb and Keath were named on the bench.

If JOD doesn't get a game, I would bring Hannan in to free up Macrae

mjp
18-05-2023, 05:40 PM
If JOD doesn't get a game, I would bring Hannan in to free up Macrae

...but Macrae's going GREAT in this role...why would you mess with that??

Doing things like this can just make us weaker in two positions as Hannan might fail to match Macrae's performance level and - for the moment at least - Macrae seems better suited with a bit of a 'role' vs the old free-wheelin' Jack!

Scraggers
18-05-2023, 06:36 PM
...but Macrae's going GREAT in this role...why would you mess with that??

Doing things like this can just make us weaker in two positions as Hannan might fail to match Macrae's performance level and - for the moment at least - Macrae seems better suited with a bit of a 'role' vs the old free-wheelin' Jack!

You make a very valid point ... let me rethink my strategy :p

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2023, 07:19 PM
TOB is in. Not sure who for though.

Grantysghost
18-05-2023, 07:23 PM
TOB is in. Not sure who for though.

Keath

bulldogfan
18-05-2023, 07:24 PM
Tex is rested

bornadog
18-05-2023, 07:30 PM
B: Taylor Duryea, Liam Jones, Ed Richards
HB: Bailey Dale, Ryan Gardner, Jason Johannisen
C: Oskar Baker, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams
HF: Anthony Scott Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman
F: Arthur Jones, Aaron Naughton, Rory Lobb
R: Tim English, Bailey Smith, Tom Liberatore
Int: Jack Macrae, Caleb Daniel, Tim O?Brien, James O?Donnell
Emerg: Lachie McNeil, Mitch Hannan, Luke Cleary, Jordon Sweet
IN: Tim O?Brien
OUT: Alex Keath (omitted), Lachie McNeil (substitute)

bulldogsthru&thru
18-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Wow Keath omitted. Maybe matchup based with TOB being more agile for the conditions and opponent.

Walker, Dodee and Thilthorpe are big outs for them. No excuses.

Vred
18-05-2023, 07:38 PM
They don't have talls in the forward line. No excuse for us now.

josie
18-05-2023, 07:44 PM
I?ll put the moz on Windscreens but I think his disposal is much better than Keath.

Who do Crows have as intercept defenders and do we think O?Donnell will play similar role to last Sat, to reduce their impact?

GVGjr
18-05-2023, 07:50 PM

They're a good side but I don't think there were a lot of excuses anyway but being honest Tex being out should help.

lemmon
18-05-2023, 07:57 PM
Doedee a big out for them as well.

Do we send someone to Dawson? He's had a huge season, gets it out on the inside and is one of the most damaging mids by foot in the comp.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-05-2023, 08:01 PM
Maybe Keath is having a spell (?)

SlimPickens
18-05-2023, 08:21 PM
Maybe Keath is having a spell (?)

The Keath, TOB and Bruce are playing for the same spot. Horses for courses

GVGjr
18-05-2023, 08:36 PM
Doedee a big out for them as well.

Do we send someone to Dawson? He's had a huge season, gets it out on the inside and is one of the most damaging mids by foot in the comp.

It could only be Macrae I suspect.

Rocco Jones
18-05-2023, 10:12 PM
TOB for Keath this week makes a lot of sense. They have Fogarty, Himmelberg and Gollant as their tall forwards. Himmelber relieve in the rock. Jones and Gardner both able to play big TOG%. Looks will it'll rain too. Think it's a good idea to play a more mobile player with better disposal in the KD3 type spot.

Think we go:
Gardner on Fogarty
Jones on Himmelberg
TOG on Gollant

Jones and Gardner should have some 'spare' TOG too.

jazzadogs
18-05-2023, 10:52 PM

On the contrary I think it could be their smaller forwards who kill us. Wet weather, we will need to make sure we are out numbering them at the foot of every contest. Our midfield will need to put in a strong shift as they have been doing. Big tackle numbers incoming.

Rocco Jones
18-05-2023, 11:00 PM
j
On the contrary I think it could be their smaller forwards who kill us. Wet weather, we will need to make sure we are out numbering them at the foot of every contest. Our midfield will need to put in a strong shift as they have been doing. Big tackle numbers incoming.

Agreed. Tex out helps though. Borrowing your point, I think it makes TOB over Keath a good call. Others us more mobility, intercept marking and better disposal. Keath's strength/height/1:1 a bit of a waste as 3rd tall.

MrMahatma
19-05-2023, 12:36 AM
We just dropped like, 8cm in total height. So much different.

Win the ball and hit the forwards.

Go well lads.

dog town
19-05-2023, 03:20 PM
The weather app I use for footy on a weekly basis which is usually very accurate has it only 20% chance of rain in Ballarat during the match. Would suggest it’s looking pretty good at the moment will just be cold.

Bulldog Joe
19-05-2023, 03:32 PM
The weather app I use for footy on a weekly basis which is usually very accurate has it only 20% chance of rain in Ballarat during the match. Would suggest it’s looking pretty good at the moment will just be cold.

While you may consider it adequate forecast and accuracy are mutually exclusive terms.

1eyedog
19-05-2023, 08:12 PM
The weather app I use for footy on a weekly basis which is usually very accurate has it only 20% chance of rain in Ballarat during the match. Would suggest it?s looking pretty good at the moment will just be cold.

The quicker we cash in and get out of this hell hole the better.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-05-2023, 12:49 AM
The quicker we cash in and get out of this hell hole the better.

We kids at Whitefriars Donvale played a game in Ballarat against a big orphanage with the wind blowing the cold rain horizontal.
I went to punch the ball from a guys hands, hit him in the nuts, his elbow jerked back onto my chin.
There after I remember running around dazed, concussed.
I did not know where I was or what we were doing there.
Bad day in Ballarat.

comrade
20-05-2023, 02:10 AM
Is this the most balanced side we?ve ever selected under Bevo?

2 key defenders and an intercept marking 3rd tall, 2 key forwards plus a genuine 2nd ruck/forward and a nice spread of mids rather than a surplus that need to be shoehorned inside 50.

Happy Days
20-05-2023, 02:20 AM

2 key defenders and an intercept marking 3rd tall, 2 key forwards plus a genuine 2nd ruck/forward and a nice spread of mids rather than a surplus that need to be shoehorned inside 50.

Automatically disqualified because we picked a cricketer who’s been in the AFL for 2 weeks but I get your point.

jeemak
20-05-2023, 02:59 AM

Automatically disqualified because we picked a cricketer who?s been in the AFL for 2 weeks but I get your point.

Yeah sorry Comrade even thought HD is only slightly right and you mainly are you're out of the clique because you haven't been posting enough so we have to be mean to you in the first instance in the hope that you'll stay and post more.

Hope you understand.

GVGjr
20-05-2023, 09:12 AM

I think so but as you would rightly know you have to wonder if it's the right side given the conditions today.

dog town
20-05-2023, 10:55 AM
While you may consider it adequate forecast and accuracy are mutually exclusive terms.

Looking pretty good on the radar. Last of the significant rain passing through now.