PDA

View Full Version : Labour Day.

Hotdog60
01-05-2023, 06:29 PM
It's Labour Day today in Queensland and I know this day doesn't fall on the same day across the country but may be the Dogs should lobby for this day to be our marquee day and it can be the Victorian Labour Day.
We can market it as the Blue collar event and play against the Feral's on the MCG in a night game (Because I don't want to miss it during the day :) )
Show your union card and general admittance get in for half price.

bornadog
01-05-2023, 06:32 PM
It's Labour Day today in Queensland and I know this day doesn't fall on the same day across the country but may be the Dogs should lobby for this day to be our marquee day and it can be the Victorian Labour Day.
We can market it as the Blue collar event and play against the Feral's on the MCG in a night game (Because I don't want to miss it during the day :) )

Only thing is Labour Day in Victoria is before the season starts.

Hotdog60
01-05-2023, 06:34 PM
Only thing is Labour Day in Victoria is before the season starts.

Bloody Victorians work your dates better.

Tassie team coming and NT to even the comp one for the future season opener. :)

Happy Days
01-05-2023, 06:55 PM
Sounds like something that could only come from the genius mind of Kevin Sheedy

Stevo
01-05-2023, 08:21 PM

Couldnt we have an annual game against the Lions or Suns on the day? Creative thinking.

Hotdog60
01-05-2023, 09:25 PM
Couldnt we have an annual game against the Lions or Suns on the day? Creative thinking.

That works for me but I was drawing on the Labour day theme and the Suns supporters would be all retired CEO's :)

Sedat
02-05-2023, 10:12 AM
Sounds like something that could only come from the genius mind of Kevin Sheedy
Wasn't Sheedy the mastermind of Eureka Day which was an ill-fated marquee game from about a decade ago? I think it was between Richmond and North from memory.

Not sure the union movement circa 2023 is quite what it was at its genesis - they seem to have more in common with the top end of town these days, only with sleeve tattoos.

EasternWest
02-05-2023, 10:20 AM
Not sure the union movement circa 2023 is quite what it was at its genesis - they seem to have more in common with the top end of town these days

I feel personally attacked.

Happy Days
02-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Wasn't Sheedy the mastermind of Eureka Day which was an ill-fated marquee game from about a decade ago? I think it was between Richmond and North from memory.

Not sure the union movement circa 2023 is quite what it was at its genesis - they seem to have more in common with the top end of town these days, only with sleeve tattoos.

That’s actually another piece of marketing genius from Sheedy, coming up with a really bad idea for two clubs that aren’t Essendon on purpose, so something like the First Responders Game between Essendon and Sydney where someone will get lit on fire for charity probably will seem better by comparison.

hujsh
02-05-2023, 11:23 AM

I think the focus should be 'working class' if such an idea were ever come to fruition. Would be happy for unions to be involved in some way or another but too divisive to be a major focus. It's not the club's responsibility to drive union memberships.

Sedat
02-05-2023, 11:46 AM
I think the focus should be 'working class' if such an idea were ever come to fruition. Would be happy for unions to be involved in some way or another but too divisive to be a major focus. It's not the club's responsibility to drive union memberships.
100% on the bolded bits

EasternWest
02-05-2023, 11:50 AM
That’s actually another piece of marketing genius from Sheedy, coming up with a really bad idea for two clubs that aren’t Essendon on purpose, so something like the First Responders Game between Essendon and Sydney where someone will get lit on fire for charity probably will seem better by comparison.

St Kilda likes this.

Grantysghost
02-05-2023, 11:57 AM

I've been saying this for a while.

We could champion it with the Pies, get peeps in their hi vis tops, celebrate the working class.

I don't mind having the unions involved just to drive awareness/attendance.

We could all wear these :

https://www.aflfootyshop.com.au/assets/full/WSTB610-L.jpg

Bulldog Joe
02-05-2023, 05:35 PM

That would need to include St Kilda as one of the teams.
Probably a natural fit with Melbourne.

EasternWest
02-05-2023, 05:36 PM
We could all wear these :

https://www.aflfootyshop.com.au/assets/full/WSTB610-L.jpg

That's an actual assault on the eyes and I'm surprised G hasn't banned you for it.

Grantysghost
02-05-2023, 05:59 PM
That's an actual assault on the eyes and I'm surprised G hasn't banned you for it.

He wouldn't have modelled for the picture if that was his intention!

jeemak
02-05-2023, 09:38 PM
Yeah, not sure why you'd want to drive union memberships and lose the disproportionate increases in company/ shareholder profits versus wage growth we're all enjoying so much......! :p

hujsh
02-05-2023, 10:49 PM
Yeah, not sure why you'd want to drive union memberships and lose the disproportionate increases in company/ shareholder profits versus wage growth we're all enjoying so much......! :p

Haha sure but it's up to the unions to do that not AFL clubs.

jeemak
02-05-2023, 11:45 PM
Haha sure but it's up to the unions to do that not AFL clubs.

AFL clubs promote corporate interests all the time. Why not employee/ worker interests?

Of course I'm being silly, but this is how normalised we've made the interests of the average Joe another avenue for consumerism to benefit corporates. Then when the merest suggestion of promoting worker/ labour and essentially consumer wellbeing is tabled we think it's ridiculous!

Unions = bad.
Thor Jumpers = good.

hujsh
03-05-2023, 12:36 AM
AFL clubs promote corporate interests all the time. Why not employee/ worker interests?

Of course I'm being silly, but this is how normalised we've made the interests of the average Joe another avenue for consumerism to benefit corporates. Then when the merest suggestion of promoting worker/ labour and essentially consumer wellbeing is tabled we think it's ridiculous!

Unions = bad.
Thor Jumpers = good.

Well, I agree in principle with what you're saying but the only difference I can think of is that clubs are paid to promote those interests. If a union paid to be a sponsor of an AFL club I wouldn't want the club to refuse (though if I were a union member I'd consider it a waste of money)

EasternWest
03-05-2023, 08:38 AM
Well, I agree in principle with what you're saying but the only difference I can think of is that clubs are paid to promote those interests. If a union paid to be a sponsor of an AFL club I wouldn't want the club to refuse (though if I were a union member I'd consider it a waste of money)

That's it boys we're picketing hujsh's place.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 09:33 AM

Maybe hujsh already has a nice fence you can't assume in these situations.

hujsh
03-05-2023, 10:14 AM

I'm in an apartment and WFH so picket away lads

EasternWest
03-05-2023, 10:20 AM
I'm in an apartment and WFH so picket away lads

Good luck getting out or getting your swanky uber eats in.

You're gonna need one of these.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9qHbtqY/5ltd9qizlh621.gif (https://postimages.org/)

hujsh
03-05-2023, 10:40 AM
Good luck getting out or getting your swanky uber eats in.

You're gonna need one of these.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y9qHbtqY/5ltd9qizlh621.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Like I'd waste money on Uber Eats

EasternWest
03-05-2023, 10:54 AM
Like I'd waste money on Uber Eats

Deliveroo then.

I dunno, another one of those companies that doesn't pay their workers.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 11:13 AM
Deliveroo then.

I dunno, another one of those companies that doesn't pay their workers.

"workers" they drive a car, or a motorbike and block the roads for the important people.

Hey btw find out what happened to the St. Albans / Keilor fire station door for me they were reverse parking a big red truck last night and doing ten point turns.

hujsh
03-05-2023, 11:49 AM
"workers" they drive a car, or a motorbike and block the roads for the important people.

Everyone shift your attention to GG he's the real Bourgeoisie pig.

Bulldog Revolution
03-05-2023, 12:59 PM

I would add that in addition to scrutinising the union marketing, there certainly should be stronger rules around the Industry SuperFunds marketing themselves also - I dont want my money thrown away marketing the fund

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 01:22 PM
Everyone shift your attention to GG he's the real Bourgeoisie pig.

My secret shame.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 01:23 PM
I would add that in addition to scrutinising the union marketing, there certainly should be stronger rules around the Industry SuperFunds marketing themselves also - I dont want my money thrown away marketing the fund

I'm making the hand gesture now, you know the one.

EasternWest
03-05-2023, 01:36 PM

Looks like we've got another picket line comrades.

I'm making the hand gesture now, you know the one.

I know the hand gesture I usually associate with you.

Grantysghost
03-05-2023, 01:43 PM
Looks like we've got another picket line comrades.

I know the hand gesture I usually associate with you.

The heart one right?