PDA

View Full Version : AFL Fans and the booing of players

westdog54
08-05-2023, 06:36 PM
The booing of Lance Franklin by Collingwood supporters on Sunday has sparked more discussion on when players should or shouldn't be booked, if at all.

There was an argument made by several callers into SEN (I know, I know) that Sydney and their fans had no right to complain after Jack Ginnivan was booed by Sydney fans last year as he sat on the bench with an injury.

Earlier today, Collingwood put out a strongly worded statement, apologising to Franklin and the Swans, and declaring that the fans had missed an opportunity to celebrate a champion of the game.

It echoed the sentiments of Nathan Buckley, who had this to say on his regular SEN timeslot:

?I love the Collingwood faithful, but I got a message for them.

?Your team is the toast of the town and they're handling themselves on and off the field with class and poise.

?So, let's try and fall in the line on the other side of the fence."

Tom Stewart was asked about whether he thought he would be booked against Richmond this week, after his hit on Dion Prestia last year. His reply impressed me:

?It?s probably fair enough that they?re allowed to boo me.

?I mean, some of the things that happen throughout the league of, of those that are getting booed aren't just, I think.

?But I probably deserve it in this respect.?

It's been a fascinating discussion so far this year.

Stewart being booed, I get it. That was as ugly an incident as we've seen for a while and you can understand why Tigers have might want to give him a piece of their mind.

I look at a couple of the other booing incidents this year though, and I wonder what it's achieving.

Jason Horne-Francis: Why anyone other than North Melbourne Supporters are booing this kid is beyond me.
Rory Lobb: Freo fans clearly forgot his her for to their club in the first place. As for GWS fans, he hasn't been on your list in years. Move on.

Which brings me to Sunday.

Am I missing some misdeed that Franklin has committed against the Pies recently? I'm genuinely confused as to how it came about.

I hope this was a one-off, Collingwood-supporters-being-tools moment but from what I've seen in recent years I don't know what to think anymore.

Help me out here WOOFers, make it make sense.

EasternWest
08-05-2023, 06:46 PM
I can't see why anyone except maybe Hawthorn fans boo Franklin.

GVGjr
08-05-2023, 06:58 PM
I hate the orchestrated booing acts and felt particularly bad for Adam Goodes given what he endured and we now know it took a significant toll on him. Booing a former player is a judgement call for people to make and booing a dirty act on the day seems okay to me but I'm not likely to join in.

People love to judge and ridicule other people so it's not going to stop anytime soon and perhaps doing in a group with others is rewarding or entertaining. I'd say its a small portion that would do it face to face with their target.
Knowing what we now know about modern day challenges people face and that footballers aren't immune to it I would prefer it didn't happen.

I don't know why people starting booing Buddy but I hope there was a genuine reason.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-05-2023, 07:07 PM
Just so weird. Pies fans again. Why boo him now all of a sudden? Didn't boo him last season or the one before that.

It's always pies fans.

Bulldog Joe
08-05-2023, 07:19 PM
Just so weird. Pies fans again. Why boo him now all of a sudden? Didn't boo him last season or the one before that.

It's always pies fans.

Not sure it is always Pies fans, but I detest the continued booing of individual players.

I get that fans are entitled to boo someone for disloyalty such as Dunkley/Ward for us but it should cease pretty quickly.

Individual incidents like Stewart on Prestia or Jeremy Cameron (multiple Johannisen/Harris Andrews) bring some dislike upon themselves.

However, the concerted effort that crosses multiple teams like JHF and the effort against Buddy are just herd mentality acts that are distasteful. I don't think you ever get rid of it because the human is a herd animal with limited reasoning power.

Flamethrower
08-05-2023, 07:46 PM
I just don't get booing players.

If a player like Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar or Katie Brennan wants to further his or her career at another club, it's a business decision and it is up to them.

If a player commits a thug act on the field, perhaps one could boo the AFL for not having a send off rule.

As for champions of the game like Buddy Franklin, Joel Selwood and Adam Goodes, I just don't get it. They should be celebrated.

westdog54
08-05-2023, 08:24 PM
I just don't get booing players.

If a player like Josh Dunkley, Adam Treloar or Katie Brennan wants to further his or her career at another club, it's a business decision and it is up to them.

If a player commits a thug act on the field, perhaps one could boo the AFL for not having a send off rule.

As for champions of the game like Buddy Franklin, Joel Selwood and Adam Goodes, I just don't get it. They should be celebrated.

Dunks have great service to our club and left for a better opportunity. We knew it was coming and we got what I feel was a great trade. No hard feelings at all.

The three names you mentioned in your last paragraph, I'm with you. I just don't get it.

There was one suggestion made to Gerard Whateley this morning that Grundy might be booed when he plays against the Pies. Gerard quite rightly pointed out that Grundy was more or less forced out by Collingwood, and that it would be totally ridiculous.

GVGjr
08-05-2023, 08:31 PM
Does Treloar cop it from Pies fans? He was shunted out of the club and he shouldn't be on the receiving end.

chef
08-05-2023, 09:31 PM
Does Treloar cop it from Pies fans? He was shunted out of the club and he shouldn't be on the receiving end.

No, they applauded him.

G-Mo77
08-05-2023, 10:27 PM
A guy at work who went was booing Franklin for his cheap shot on Murphy. He's no angel, champion yes but certainly no angel on the footy field so can understand it. Guys like Carey, Buckley, Ablett, Dangerfield have had their share if boos over the years and took it on the chin. This is no different despite the race card starting to be pulled out of the deck. They're fans, they're passionate and emotional they are part of the theatrics and can cheer, boo, cry as much as they please. Should opposition supporters make their opponent feel welcome? No bloody way! Isn't that one of the advantages of playing on the home deck?

I'm getting tired of hearing about this to be honest.

MrMahatma
09-05-2023, 09:23 AM
I’d boo Dunks. Bit of fun.

No idea why they’re booing Lance. Not sure it should be a massive story… yet.

ledge
09-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Booing is just Banter . If I was a player it wouldn’t worry me it’s a kind of connection to the fans.
It usually means you’re a very good player or you did something to upset the fans with something you did to an opposition player or team.
In saying that I don’t understand the booing of Lance.
Just a reminder back in 2001 the swans ran an advertisement leading up to a game against North Melbourne . It was called boo a roo.
Personally the more the media go on about it the more it will happen.
I’m old school. It’s the good v bad , your team/ players being the good and the opposition team/ player being the bad.
But if you met them on the street you admire them.
When I played you did anything to upset your opponent but after game it was a beer and a laugh.

chef
09-05-2023, 10:13 AM
Booing is just Banter

Not always, the Goodes stuff came across as pretty racist imo.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-05-2023, 10:15 AM
Not sure it is always Pies fans, but I detest the continued booing of individual players.

I get that fans are entitled to boo someone for disloyalty such as Dunkley/Ward for us but it should cease pretty quickly.

Individual incidents like Stewart on Prestia or Jeremy Cameron (multiple Johannisen/Harris Andrews) bring some dislike upon themselves.

However, the concerted effort that crosses multiple teams like JHF and the effort against Buddy are just herd mentality acts that are distasteful. I don't think you ever get rid of it because the human is a herd animal with limited reasoning power.

The no reason booing has almost been. It was them with Goodes, they started the Horne Francis neutral booing and now this.

I don't have a problem with reasoned booing. Id never do it myself but I get it and think it's all part of the fun of sports. But when there's no reason you have to wonder where it's coming from.

Grantysghost
09-05-2023, 10:30 AM

Agree - there's booing and there's booing.

This neo booing (yes I made that up) is akin to pathetic racist little trolls sitting behind their keyboards slagging people on social media.

Cowards hiding in the mass using any excuse to spout their vile underlying prejudice.

He may have got a few jeers for some in game stuff, that's OK by me, however it now morphs into something bigger and uglier and personally I'm glad Collingwood showed the leadership to call it out, hopefully before it catches fire.

Bulldog Joe
09-05-2023, 10:40 AM

The Goodes booing was certainly portrayed as racist, but I don't really believe that was the cause.

Goodes was certainly a polarising figure and he did some things on field that attracted the ire of opposition supporters.

This included a perception of preferential treatment often meted out to star players. Selwood and Dangerfield have been subject to similar.

With the Goodes episodes it was called out as racist amid wider publicity and it just grew with the bogan element to become incessant.

The worst thing that could happen with Buddy is to label it racist and embolden the bogans.

Sedat
09-05-2023, 11:04 AM
I didn't see the game but apparently Franklin hit Murphy with a cheap shot earlier in the match? Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, pretty simple explanation why he was booed on Sunday (and fair enough if so). The racial connotations over this specific issue are not helpful or relevant, but that is the hot-button topic that will guarantee the clicks. Does anyone really think Buddy was booed on Sunday out of some racial grounds? He has been nothing but lauded for the champion that he is throughout his decorated career to date.

Pies, Swans and AFEL all launching a coordinated statement designed to nip anything in the bud (no pun intended) might have the opposite effect - don't be surprised if a section of the crowd will now see this as red rag to a bull and boo Buddy every week from now on. That's how dickheads roll, and when you get 50,000 people packed into a stadium there are going to be some dickheads (one of the reasons I stopped going to the footy a few years ago was that life was too short to be in the company of dickheads, which there will invariably be some at the footy).

Colour me cynical, but the Swans have really brought this to the attention because they are currently travelling like busted arseholes and are in real danger of crashing out of finals contention. Classic deflection straight out of the Sheedy playbook.

Different issue but I cannot ever take the Swans seriously when they have a pride round with all the bells and whistles but are holding their hand out for sponsorship $$$ from state owned Qatar Airways. If the Swans didn't have double standards, they'd have no standards at all. And of course their seemingly never-ending whinging over the umpiring in the 2016 GF.

Horne-Francis booing is just bizarre outside of North fans. But again, you can't legislate for dickheads.

What is the end game here? Are we going to legislate against jeering when an opposition player kicks it out of bounds on the full? Or when someone buckles at the knees and wins a contentious free kick in front of goal?

I can see both side to this issue, but in our binary world today it seems like you must take an absolute position one way or the other. It's tiring and frankly this issue is not the slightest bit important compared to day-to-day life.

Grantysghost
09-05-2023, 11:17 AM
I don't agree @sedat - however I love your posts..so "LIKE"!.

Sedat
09-05-2023, 11:19 AM
You know I love a world where there is healthy debate and a respectful exchange of different ideas and perspectives ;)

ledge
09-05-2023, 11:27 AM

He was booed because he was racist in his comments IMO . He was Australian of the year and spent the speech bagging Australians.
It was ok for him to throw an imaginary spear at the crowd, can you imagine if a white Australian did it?
I find he was his own worst enemy and booing isn?t racist or all aborigines would be booed .
It was the way he came across
Eg the kid who called him whatever name it was: don?t go degrading the kid . Meet them talk to them as a friend, educate them . Don?t persecute him or her
We have to come together and he being the adult could have handled it a lot better . I?m in no way racist I take people on their merits .
How booing is seen as racism is beyond me . He also tackled legs first once and personally that?s what I saw the first reason he was booed .

Scraggers
09-05-2023, 11:35 AM
Let me preface what I'm about to write by saying I don't boo ... I tell my kids not to boo. It doesn't add to theatre; it's mindless. I do yell abuse, but I always try and make it witty (not always successfully).

The Adam Goodes booing annoyed me. It started because he was a dick; faking for free kicks and a couple of cheap shots behind play; behaviour not consistent to that of a champion of the game. It annoys me because the booing continued after the behaviour stopped ... it became racially motivated.

Jason Horne-Francis booing was actually started by North fans during the Gather Round. After they were comprehensively beaten by Brisbane in the hills, a group of supporters came back to watch the Port v Bulldogs game (as well as supporters from other clubs that were there for the round of footy). That is where is started; now supporters think it's funny to continue it, even though it has nought to do with their club.

Highlighting what the Collingwood flogs did to Buddy on the weekend is only going to fuel the mindless numpties this weekend. This has the potential to become racial; I don't think it is there yet.

chef
09-05-2023, 11:37 AM
He was booed because he was racist in his comments IMO . He was Australian of the year and spent the speech bagging Australians.
It was ok for him to throw an imaginary spear at the crowd, can you imagine if a white Australian did it?
I find he was his own worst enemy and booing isn?t racist or all aborigines would be booed .
Eg the kid who called him whatever name it was: don?t go degrading the kid . Meet them talk to them as a friend, educate them . Don?t persecute him or her
We have to come together and he being the adult could have handled it a lot better . I?m in no way racist I take people on their merits .
How booing is seen as racism is beyond me . He also tackled legs first once and personally that?s what I saw the first reason he was booed .

I guess each to their own mate, not sure I agree with any of that.

hujsh
09-05-2023, 11:39 AM

Ahem...

boooooooo

GVGjr
09-05-2023, 11:44 AM

Yep, and it had a massive impact on him. After hearing about how some comments made to Marra impacted him orchestrated booing to any player especially an indigenous one isn't necessarily easily brushed off.

I get booing a dirty act and a returning player but some of this just seems to be organised bullying.

Grantysghost
09-05-2023, 12:19 PM
Crowds are so interesting.

Take the PL.

Two working class areas in the north of England.

Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Liverpool.

God save the King was played prior to matches due to coronation.

Liverpool fans drowned it out with boos.

Newcastle fans sang it at the top of their lungs.

Humans.. I can't work them out.

bornadog
09-05-2023, 12:37 PM
I didn't see the game but apparently Franklin hit Murphy with a cheap shot earlier in the match? Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, pretty simple explanation why he was booed on Sunday (and fair enough if so). The racial connotations over this specific issue are not helpful or relevant, but that is the hot-button topic that will guarantee the clicks. Does anyone really think Buddy was booed on Sunday out of some racial grounds? He has been nothing but lauded for the champion that he is throughout his decorated career to date..

I don't believe anyone has said the booing was on racial grounds?

Sedat
09-05-2023, 12:45 PM
I don't believe anyone has said the booing was on racial grounds?
It has been heavily intimated by the AFEL media. In particular referencing the Goodes situation from 10 years ago as a direct comparison, which is no comparison whatsoever in terms of circumstances.

Peddling division when there is barely any is the media stock in trade.

bornadog
09-05-2023, 12:47 PM
The Boo Splainer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaDsIlPamUc

azabob
09-05-2023, 01:33 PM

Stop being a people pleaser!

At least have the disclaimer on your signature

"Likes" do not endorse my view.

Grantysghost
09-05-2023, 01:39 PM
Stop being a people pleaser!

At least have the disclaimer on your signature

"Likes" do not endorse my view.

Haha - like this.

Bulldog Revolution
09-05-2023, 05:30 PM
I find it incredibly complex to analyse, justify and explain

Adam Goodes was an ageing champion, hanging on by a thread as he aged - he may have acted for the odd free kick, but having seen it what Adam went through I am just uncomfortable with booing an indigenous Australian player on an AFL ground

JanLorMill
09-05-2023, 05:46 PM
It's Collingwood, they boo anything or anyone not Collingwood. They don't know why. A non football person asked me yesterday why everyone hates Collingwood and it fans. I should have given this as an example.

FrediKanoute
09-05-2023, 11:12 PM
As a booer I see it as my right to boo and express my displeasure with a player, former players, umpires, AFL officials etc.

Why I boo depends on the player, but I would never boo a player because of their race, stance on race or politics in general - sport is not the place for this sort of discourse (its on forums where you can be anonymous and wind people up aka troll!).

So if I wanted to boo Franklin because he is a good player who regularly tears my team a new one then I will. If people want to join me mindlessly and not think for themselves then that says more about them than me, but let them. If Franklin as a player can't channel the energy to lift he game to a level where he silences the boos then maybe he isn't the "champion" player that he has a reputation being.

For the record, I like Franklin and he is not on my boo list. Neither is Horne-Francis.....I don't blame the kid for wanting out of that sh*t show. Dunkley though is very firmly in my cross hairs as a player I would boo. One because he left my beloved team for a quick buck and a sun tan and two because he just comes across as a bit of a w*nker and deserves a good boo. To be fair to Dunk's he seems to be able to channel those boos pretty well.

On Adam Goodes - that was never ok. To boo someone for standing up to racial vilification and abuse is pretty sad......a reflection that you are OK with the vilification they have received.

jeemak
09-05-2023, 11:25 PM
So Fredi, I guess we're then asking supporters to be sensitive towards players who might be good and also scarred by booing inflicted on someone of the same skin colour......who was also good?

jeemak
09-05-2023, 11:30 PM
Whatever's happening aside, I was so pumped for Adam Goodes and those who he said he was representing when he threw that invisible spear at the Carlton crowd.

After it we had people suggesting he should have cleared his right to protest or enact a celebration with the AFL before doing it, and suggesting that he shouldn't have been doing something that might have been inflammatory in the first place.

It was the best example of how far we have to come as a society expressed on a footy field outside of the Winmar gesture. Protest as long as you have permission to, speak up only if you clear what you have to say with us first.

Yep it made people uncomfortable, but when you have no other levers to pull.........

jeemak
09-05-2023, 11:34 PM
Can anyone imagine the sanctioned protest scenario? This is my best take on it:

Announcer: Ladies and Gentlemen, please stand in preparation for Adam Goodes' protest dance

Adam Goodes: Oooggidy boogidy oogidy boogidiy.....throws invisible spear

Crowd: Boooooooooooo (at best - most likely the stadium would have been invaded)

hujsh
10-05-2023, 02:29 AM
We all like to joke but I lost a loved one to that invisible spear. But I guess it's not 'PC' to talk about the real victims.

FrediKanoute
10-05-2023, 04:00 AM
Can anyone imagine the sanctioned protest scenario? This is my best take on it:

Announcer: Ladies and Gentlemen, please stand in preparation for Adam Goodes' protest dance

Adam Goodes: Oooggidy boogidy oogidy boogidiy.....throws invisible spear

Crowd: Boooooooooooo (at best - most likely the stadium would have been invaded)

I'm not sure where we get to with the booing debate. Yeah its not nice, but it is a form of instant feedback even if you aren't sure why they are booing you. Personally I think people boo for a couple of reasons, but they genuinely don't like an individual.....think Toby Greene, Steven Milne......people boo because you are a past player whose leaving has hurt.....think Ryan Griffin, Josh Dunkley, Sol Campbell......people boo because everyone else is doing it and we have a natural inclination to follow the herd......its safe, it offers security, its allows us to conform with our peers even if we don't know why we are booing.

You can't/shouldn't stop the public expression of displeasure in a performance. We no longer throw rotten fruit at poor performances and we should know better than to use slurs of any kind. Booing though is a means of expression that I honestly believ will sanitise the game/sport/theatre to a point where it will be boring!

FrediKanoute
10-05-2023, 04:02 AM
We all like to joke but I lost a loved one to that invisible spear. But I guess it's not 'PC' to talk about the real victims.

Pray tell? Would interested to know if this was metaphorical or actual

Topdog
10-05-2023, 06:23 AM
Whatever's happening aside, I was so pumped for Adam Goodes and those who he said he was representing when he threw that invisible spear at the Carlton crowd.

After it we had people suggesting he should have cleared his right to protest or enact a celebration with the AFL before doing it, and suggesting that he shouldn't have been doing something that might have been inflammatory in the first place.

I must have missed it, what was he protesting?

D Mitchell
10-05-2023, 06:24 AM
I don’t boo, at the footy anyway, so I’m not going to say anything in case I say something.

Grantysghost
10-05-2023, 09:40 AM
The spear thing was nuts however I assume he was at his wit's end by then so I understand it.

GVGjr
10-05-2023, 10:29 AM
The spear thing was nuts however I assume he was at his wit's end by then so I understand it.

He should never have done that and it just made the whole mess worse. I just hate the fact that there was a prolonged campaign to target him and especially to now know how it impacted him.

hujsh
10-05-2023, 10:35 AM
Pray tell? Would interested to know if this was metaphorical or actual

I was kinda confused by the question for a moment (how can someone die to an invisible spear?) but assume you mean did I know someone in the crowd and the answer is no, I was just joking about how stupid it is for anyone to have been upset by that (ooohhh he threatened us, a crowd of randos, with his invisible spear)

hujsh
10-05-2023, 10:38 AM
He should never have done that and it just made the whole mess worse. I just hate the fact that there was a prolonged campaign to target him and especially to now know how it impacted him.

I think in some ways it's a perfect response. Revealed a lot about our country and certain groups within that it was even a point of discussion.

soupman
10-05-2023, 11:09 AM
Can we just stop booing? In a league full of the most tedious hot topics ever thought up this booing chat is right up there with the worst of it.

It's the classic culture war bullshit we have copped in politics forever, so can we just all agree to stop booing regardless of reasons so that we don't have to discuss the merits and justification of booing anymore, regardless of what "side" you fall on?

Grantysghost
10-05-2023, 11:12 AM
I think in some ways it's a perfect response. Revealed a lot about our country and certain groups within that it was even a point of discussion.

It was a really sad time for the game and Adam. It did expose a lot of people for sure.

It's still happening. I'm getting people messaging me that are so livid about the booing thing they're losing their minds.

To be honest, I think some people are just really angry for other reasons and channel their pain somewhere where there is a perceived unfairness.

jeemak
10-05-2023, 11:27 AM
It was a really sad time for the game and Adam. It did expose a lot of people for sure.

It's still happening. I'm getting people messaging me that are so livid about the booing thing they're losing their minds.

To be honest, I think some people are just really angry for other reasons and channel their pain somewhere where there is a perceived unfairness.

Can't we all just boo Dan Andrews again?

That really brought the community together.

Topdog
10-05-2023, 11:40 AM
oh was the spear thing after all the booing started? I really have to watch that documentary at some point.

hujsh
10-05-2023, 11:51 AM
oh was the spear thing after all the booing started? I really have to watch that documentary at some point.

I think the Collingwood girl was the start, then people booing him for being so mean to the poor little racist white girl, then the spear thing at Carlton fans booing him as a bit of an up yours. Followed of course by more rage at the uppity black man not knowing his place. That's not what MLK or Ghandi would do tut tut.

hujsh
10-05-2023, 11:53 AM
Can't we all just boo Dan Andrews again?

That really brought the community together.

Let's go national. Lets laugh at Tony Abbott again (without giving him any actual power this time)

Grantysghost
10-05-2023, 11:55 AM
I think the Collingwood girl was the start, then people booing him for being so mean to the poor little racist white girl, then the spear thing at Carlton fans booing him as a bit of an up yours. Followed of course by more rage at the uppity black man not knowing his place. That's not what MLK or Ghandi would do tut tut.

Gandhi slept naked with his under age niece so that's a good thing right? ;)

jeemak
10-05-2023, 11:59 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Goodes#Booing_saga

A couple of years after the initial incident, again on Indigenous Round.

hujsh
10-05-2023, 12:18 PM
Gandhi slept naked with his under age niece so that's a good thing right? ;)

Ghandi was a weird unit to be sure. I think a Hindu nationalist too but might be misremembering. MLK though, based AF. So based people have to pretend he didn't say half the stuff he did and just use that one quote constantly.

G-Mo77
10-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Boston Celtics getting booed by their home crowd. Imagine if that happened in the AFL? Many people would be triggered.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-05-2023, 12:24 PM
Boston Celtics getting booed by their home crowd. Imagine if that happened in the AFL? Many people would be triggered.

Would they boo their hockey team?

G-Mo77
10-05-2023, 12:38 PM
Would they boo their hockey team?

I don't follow hockey but I guess they would. I'd imagine crowds would be similar in different codes.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-05-2023, 12:50 PM
I don't follow hockey but I guess they would. I'd imagine crowds would be similar in different codes.

I would think so too. Just checking if that sort of booing is racially motivated.

Although Boston fans have been called out numerous times for being the most racist.

Axe Man
10-05-2023, 12:55 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/gkGcKtJC/Boody.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

(Stolen from The Mongrel Punt)

Sedat
10-05-2023, 03:09 PM
https://twitter.com/TheOnlyLongy/status/1655762972906770432

Sydney are a bunch of hypocrites - always have been.

Rocket Science
10-05-2023, 04:04 PM

Oh they boo plenty in hockey and when suitably moved don't hold back.

After a flat start to the season the coach of the New Jersey Devils was not only getting booed by home crowds but they were launching into loud, lengthy "FIRE LINDY" chants during games.

Of course the team soon went on a 13-game winning streak which prompted equally loud "WE'RE SORRY LINDY" chants.

Yanks are weird, but I've never seen them ritually hound a black man out of the game.

Grantysghost
10-05-2023, 04:59 PM

After a flat start to the season the coach of the New Jersey Devils was not only getting booed by home crowds but they were launching into loud, lengthy "FIRE LINDY" chants during games.

Of course the team soon went on a 13-game winning streak which prompted equally loud "WE'RE SORRY LINDY" chants.

Yanks are weird, but I've never seen them ritually hound a black man out of the game.

Gold.

Well, I think they've left African Americans out of entire professional leagues eg the NFL in the 30s and 40s.

westdog54
10-05-2023, 05:47 PM

I was curious about this post and your thoughts on Goodes' acceptance speech, so I took the liberty of searching for a transcript of it.

THE FULL TRANSCRIPT OF THE ADAM GOODES 2014 AUSTRALIAN OF THE YEAR ACCEPTANCE SPEECH

?It?s an honour to win an award for doing stuff that you love and that you believe in. For me, I chose that life is all about actions and interactions. I believe that our choices and how we interact with each other creates our relationships and this in turn creates the environment that we live in.

Our environment shapes our communities which then shapes the country that we all live in. Growing up as an indigenous Australian I have experienced my fair share of racism. While it has been difficult a lot of the time, it has also taught me a lot and also shaped my values and what I believe in today. I believe racism is a community issue which we all need to address and that?s why racism stops with me.

There are always two ways we can look at a situation. We can choose to get angry. Or not. We can choose to help others. Or not. Or choose to be offended. Or not. We can keep our silence or educate ourselves and others about racism and minority populations.

It is not just about taking responsibility for your own actions but speaking to your mates when they take out their anger on their loved ones, minority groups or make racist remarks. It means treating people the way you want to be treated, whether that?s your manners, the way you talk to people, whether they are your loved ones or the person serving your dinner. It?s about how you choose to give back and make a difference to those around you, your community or your country that goes outside of just yourself.

I believe we are all connected whether we like it or not. We are all equal and the same in so many ways. My hope is that we as a nation can break down the silos between races, break down those stereotypes of minority populations, indigenous populations and all other minority groups. I hope we can be proud of our heritage regardless of the colour of our skin and be proud to be Australian.

I?m not here to tell you what to think, or how to act to raise your children. All I?m here to do is tell you about my experiences and hope you choose to be aware of your actions and interactions so that together we can eliminate racism.

I?m so grateful for this award and this honour, however the real reward is when everyone is talking to their mates, to their families and their children, having those conversations and educating others about racism. What it looks like, how hurtful and how pointless it is and how we can eliminate it.

The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals. To me, everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it?s the people and the interactions between us that makes this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day.

Would you kindly point out the parts of the speech where he was, as you so eloquently put it, "Racist in his comments" and "bagging Australians"?

I've read it through three times now, and I'm just not seeing it.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-05-2023, 06:52 PM
Gold.

Well, I think they've left African Americans out of entire professional leagues eg the NFL in the 30s and 40s.

Whilst there were a few African Americans in the very early professional football days, it wasn't til 1946 that the unofficial football colour bar was broken.
Baseball was much more overt about its racist policies right up until Jackie Robinson forced the issue and brought about change.

D Mitchell
11-05-2023, 08:18 AM
I was curious about this post and your thoughts on Goodes' acceptance speech, so I took the liberty of searching for a transcript of it.

Would you kindly point out the parts of the speech where he was, as you so eloquently put it, "Racist in his comments" and "bagging Australians"?

I don't purport to speak for Ledge. The premise of the extract is that Australia is a racist country. The first sentence of the second paragraph excepted, it's especially evident in that and the penultimate paragraph. If Ledge takes umbrage at that premise, then "bagging Australians" is reasonable.

bulldogtragic
11-05-2023, 08:25 AM

Colin Kaepernick?

G-Mo77
11-05-2023, 08:56 AM
Colin Kaepernick?

Ahh yes, there you go. There would be more.

SonofScray
11-05-2023, 09:51 AM
Booing in and of itself is not abuse. There is room for heckling and booing in the game. It’s all part of the pantomime and carnival of sport.

Fans primary focus should be on barracking for their team first and foremost. The best atmospheres are generated when we express our passion positively and towards our own tribe.

The next best element is when there is a rivalry and the hatred and passionate dislike for the opposition, for simply being the opposition, like a pantomime villain gets booed and hissed and told they’ve got chewy on their boot. Think about how savage our fans were in 2016 to GWS. It was incredibly hostile and it would have been unpleasant to be anyone other than a Dogs fan in that stadium. It was fantastic. So long as you are on the right side of it.

Occasionally the booing of players is dumb and misguided. Some dogs fans booed Daniel Cross when he rolled out for Melbourne ffs. Fans other than Norf supporters booing JHF in the absence of him doing anything to their teams is dumb. If he is kicking goals, celebrating towards the crowd, belting players, fair enough. But that wasn’t happening.

Goodes started to cop it more intensely after he advocated against racism and became the face of some uncomfortable truths. Those boos became more than just boos.

Buddy copping it still just feels like a champion player with history of some cheap shots being cast as the villain. I wouldn’t routinely boo him against us, but if he clipped someone, or was having a shot in a close game, he’s copping it.

hujsh
11-05-2023, 11:50 AM
I don't purport to speak for Ledge. The premise of the extract is that Australia is a racist country. The first sentence of the second paragraph excepted, it's especially evident in that and the penultimate paragraph. If Ledge takes umbrage at that premise, then "bagging Australians" is reasonable.

If Australia is so unable to engage in genuine reflection as to consider a person talking about their experience of racism 'bagging' them then they deserve to be bagged at the minimum. Of course Australia is at least partly racist.

The real answer I'd want though is in what way was Goodes' comments racist? That's the more confusing one TBH. Not that I expect you to answer that for Ledge to be clear.

ledge
11-05-2023, 12:41 PM

He said we can choose to get angry .. he did get angry . Pointing out a child in a crowd isn’t bringing the community together it’s causing more problems . Fact is he wasn’t booed for race it was the double leg slide that started the booing.
Booing is not racist . It’s a bit like lidia Thorpes claims about racism then becomes racist herself.

1eyedog
11-05-2023, 01:25 PM
https://twitter.com/TheOnlyLongy/status/1655762972906770432

Sydney are a bunch of hypocrites - always have been.

This was 22 years ago to be fair. Times change.

I don't have an opinion on booing generally but feel if you cheap shot a player during the match you're gonna get booed. I'm not sure if Buddy did give Murphy a whack but if he did you have to accept the crowd will boo him. If he didn't and he was booed for no reason it would be weird. Same goes for JHF and Ginnivan.

Buddy's been playing for a long long time and has never been booed previously so it's difficult to say its potentally racially motivated. What I do think though is the more the media and Collingwood et al. bring attention to it the more Buddy will get booed and it will spiral out of control. That's a given.

It may already be too late.

SonofScray
11-05-2023, 01:36 PM
This was 22 years ago to be fair. Times change.

I don't have an opinion on booing generally but feel if you cheap shot a player during the match you're gonna get booed. I'm not sure if Buddy did give Murphy a whack but if he did you have to accept the crowd will boo him. If he didn't and he was booed for no reason it would be weird. Same goes for JHF and Ginnivan.

Buddy's been playing for a long long time and has never been booed previously so it's difficult to say its potentally racially motivated. What I do think though is the more the media and Collingwood et al. bring attention to it the more Buddy will get booed and it will spiral out of control. That's a given.

It may already be too late.

I'd say it'll ramp up, simply to spite the ludicrous takes that booing should be stopped.

hujsh
11-05-2023, 01:40 PM
He said we can choose to get angry .. he did get angry . Pointing out a child in a crowd isn’t bringing the community together it’s causing more problems . Fact is he wasn’t booed for race it was the double leg slide that started the booing.
Booing is not racist . It’s a bit like lidia Thorpes claims about racism then becomes racist herself.

Pointing out anyone that hurls racial abuse towards you is fine. If they're a child keep their name out of the media (and the parents can leave with them). It's not Goodes job to teach every racist why they're wrong the same way it wasn't that SANFL players job to teach Walker not to use racist slurs but we seem to put more onus on black and indigenous people to respond to racism correctly than racist people to not use racial slurs (that's the amazing part, they can still be racist if they don't shout it out at a stadium)

Happy Days
11-05-2023, 01:46 PM
The expectation that POCs have to educate racists on how to not be racist is some dumb circular logic victim blaming ludicrous bullshit.

Booing players you have no relationship to is stupid and cringe. If you absolutely have to boo someone then go watch pro wrestling. This topic is exhausting.

chef
11-05-2023, 01:50 PM

So Goodes shouldn't point out someone being racist towards him?

Maybe JUH should have just sucked it up too.

chef
11-05-2023, 01:51 PM
The expectation that POCs have to educate racists on how to not be racist is some dumb circular logic victim blaming ludicrous bullshit.

Booing players you have no relationship to is stupid and cringe. If you absolutely have to boo someone then go watch pro wrestling. This topic is exhausting.

Maybe rape victims should have to educate their rapists too while we are at it.

GVGjr
11-05-2023, 02:42 PM
So Goodes shouldn't point out someone being racist towards him?

Maybe JUH should have just sucked it up too.

I don't buy the age of the person saying racial slurs being something the victim of those comments needs to consider. It was a night game and it's a fair assumption to believe she was there with parental supervision. I'm not sure the young lady had received the appropriate education parents need to instill in their children.

Good point about Marra

westdog54
11-05-2023, 03:13 PM

First things first, are you suggesting that the solution is to ignore racist abuse?

Secondly, my daughter was almost as tall as me when she was 12. It shouldn't be up to Adam to figure out how old she is. He's got every right to call out racist abuse if no one around the perpetrators will.

Third, on the 'slide tackle' excuse, the idea that this justified league-wide booing is flat out ridiculous.

Lastly, maybe if white Australians had the balls to call out friends and family members for racist abuse, then people wouldn't have to worry about being offended by imaginary spears depicted in traditional dances.

westdog54
11-05-2023, 03:18 PM

I hate to break it to you, but Australia has a history of racism that:

1) It has never really come to terms with
2) Has its remnants that exist far more prominently today than we should.

If you're interpreting an indigenous man asking people to educate family and friends about racism as "bagging Australians", then I'm afraid that Adam Goodes isn't the one with the thin skin here.

bornadog
11-05-2023, 03:30 PM
Anyone watch Ted Lasso last night ie episode 9 of current series. Hopefully players don't need to react like they did in that episode.

Sedat
11-05-2023, 03:48 PM
I hate to break it to you, but Australia has a history of racism that:

1) It has never really come to terms with
2) Has its remnants that exist far more prominently today than we should.
Apologies for going off-topic, but I doubt there is a single country in the world today that hasn't had a violent history of racism and/or discrimination against certain sectors of their society based on nothing more than their immutable characteristics. There are laws in place in Australia that criminalise any form of racism, which is light years ahead of the vast majority of countries in the world today. And that is why massive numbers of migrants and POC are desperately wanting to make Australia home - would they honestly do so if there was any truth in the broad (and fundamentally incorrect) assessment of Australia in 2023 being a racist hell-hole? It's just not the case, despite the media amplifying every single isolated case for clicks because race is a dynamic hot-button topic for them.

As a second-generation Australian of migrant background who grew up in an almost exclusively Anglo Saxon country town, I can tell you first-hand racism in this country has virtually disappeared compared to a generation ago. That doesn't mean people shouldn't call it out when it still happens, but the self-loathing from the inner city echo chamber does nothing to alleviate the issue.

Goodes had every right to call out the racism he received. If Buddy does receive it, he will also have every right to call it out as well.

westdog54
11-05-2023, 04:28 PM
Apologies for going off-topic, but I doubt there is a single country in the world today that hasn't had a violent history of racism and/or discrimination against certain sectors of their society based on nothing more than their immutable characteristics. There are laws in place in Australia that criminalise any form of racism, which is light years ahead of the vast majority of countries in the world today. And that is why massive numbers of migrants and POC are desperately wanting to make Australia home - would they honestly do so if there was any truth in the broad (and fundamentally incorrect) assessment of Australia in 2023 being a racist hell-hole? It's just not the case, despite the media amplifying every single isolated case for clicks because race is a dynamic hot-button topic for them.

As a second-generation Australian of migrant background who grew up in an almost exclusively Anglo Saxon country town, I can tell you first-hand racism in this country has virtually disappeared compared to a generation ago. That doesn't mean people shouldn't call it out when it still happens, but the self-loathing from the inner city echo chamber does nothing to alleviate the issue.

Goodes had every right to call out the racism he received. If Buddy does receive it, he will also have every right to call it out as well.

I'm third generation of migrant background and I can assure you without a shadow of a doubt that racism hasn't even come CLOSE to disappearing in this country. If declaring that makes me part of an inner-city echo chamber then fine.

Grantysghost
11-05-2023, 04:35 PM
I love all the opinions, some really smart commentators on here more than anywhere.

Just getting the feels it's maybe descending a tad into territory woof doesn't need to go ;)

Sedat
11-05-2023, 05:49 PM
I'm third generation of migrant background and I can assure you without a shadow of a doubt that racism hasn't even come CLOSE to disappearing in this country. If declaring that makes me part of an inner-city echo chamber then fine.
You have every right to keep calling it out when it happens against you, and it sucks that it keeps doing so.

I personally feel like racism on the whole has virtually disappeared compared to 30-40 years ago - the media demand for it certainly outweighs the supply in 2023. Others are more than free to disagree.

I worry the genie is out of the bottle now with regard to Buddy - as SOS and 1ED have surmised, I suspect there will be a handful of dickheads at every game from now on that will boo him every week.

westdog54
11-05-2023, 06:23 PM
You have every right to keep calling it out when it happens against you, and it sucks that it keeps doing so.

I personally feel like racism on the whole has virtually disappeared compared to 30-40 years ago - the media demand for it certainly outweighs the supply in 2023. Others are more than free to disagree.

I worry the genie is out of the bottle now with regard to Buddy - as SOS and 1ED have surmised, I suspect there will be a handful of dickheads at every game from now on that will boo him every week.

I'm not doubting for a moment that we've come a long way, but recent experiences, both my own and those of my 11 year old son, tell me we've still got a hell of a long way to go.

Even then, I would never pretend to believe that my experience allows me to speak about racism on the same level as First Nations people.

There's still an active distrust that exists and not without reason. The conversations need to keep happening. When those conversations involve loved ones they're even tougher. But it's the only way forward, and when it comes to racism, standing still is moving backwards.

jeemak
26-05-2023, 07:34 PM
This is a bit insensitive to the families of those who either lost their lives or were maimed as a result of Adam Goodes' invisible spear.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1661952387068891136

westdog54
26-05-2023, 08:19 PM
This is a bit insensitive to the families of those who either lost their lives or were maimed as a result of Adam Goodes' invisible spear.

Damnit you beat me to it!

Grantysghost
26-05-2023, 09:57 PM

Is it just me or do statues never actually do the person justice.

3d print something why are we obsessed with statues!

JanLorMill
26-05-2023, 10:36 PM
If I was a Carlton fan I’d boo Mackay.

bornadog
27-05-2023, 01:00 AM
If I was a Carlton fan I’d boo Mackay.
He has lost the plot

D Mitchell
28-05-2023, 10:25 AM
At the end of the Hearts v Hibs Derby yesterday in the Scottish Premiership League, the 2 managers confronted and jostled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S032s0LULTE

Can you imagine Bev and Dew doing that ? For all Hawthorn-racism; booing and antics at AFL headquarters, footy's in a good space.

HOSE B ROMERO
28-05-2023, 03:33 PM
At the end of the Hearts v Hibs Derby yesterday in the Scottish Premiership League, the 2 managers confronted and jostled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S032s0LULTE

Can you imagine Bev and Dew doing that ? For all Hawthorn-racism; booing and antics at AFL headquarters, footy's in a good space.

As part of retro round, i'd love to see the coach's on the sidelines 5 metres apart.

The commentary and music on that clip was hilarious.