PDA

View Full Version : The Moment: Rnd 9, 2023 vs Carlton

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2023, 12:05 AM
The moment, the best, most courageous moment that caught your eye in this evening's game against Carlton. Was it the moment that told you 'we've got this' or 'we lost this one right here'? Or was it the moment that you went 'wow....that is crazy courage'

Or was it a collection of moments that you thought 'oh dear that's sure to produce a flood of WOOF melts on par with GG's post GF loss..':cool:

hujsh
13-05-2023, 11:13 PM
I thought it was Scott miss leading to the Carlton goal to get in front at first. Was an opportunity to take the wind out of their sails and seemed they'd run over the top of us.

...but then... Arty Jones. Once he kicked that goal, almost exactly the shot he just missed in his debut game, I just felt that was the sign it was still our night.

EasternWest
13-05-2023, 11:15 PM
Arty's goal. Had two "better" options inboard but backed himself in. Broke their back.

bornadog
13-05-2023, 11:18 PM
arty's goal. Had two "better" options inboard but backed himself in. Broke their back.

this

azabob
13-05-2023, 11:24 PM
For mine Liberatore goal to put us back in front. Gave us hope.

Mofra
13-05-2023, 11:40 PM
For mine Liberatore goal to put us back in front. Gave us hope.
Mine too. Arty's goal a close second

AshMac
13-05-2023, 11:43 PM
Arty's goal. Had two "better" options inboard but backed himself in. Broke their back.

This Plus Baz?s goal immediately after

The Bulldogs Bite
13-05-2023, 11:44 PM
Libbas goal was great, but the moment for mine belongs to Arty.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2023, 11:52 PM
Yep. Arty for mine this week.

Grantysghost
13-05-2023, 11:53 PM
Duryea's point.

I knew we had it if he was that far forward.

GVGjr
13-05-2023, 11:54 PM
I'm going to lean slightly towards the Liberatore goal but it's a split decision with Arty.
Love them both.

jazzadogs
14-05-2023, 12:21 AM
Without the Libba goal, we don't get the opportunity for the Arty goal. They were excellent finishes in a game that didn't have much finishing - Libba, Arty, Baz and then the final touch from Marra.

A more defensive moment was Liam Jones laying a big tackle on Durdin or Owies in that last 5 minutes.

jazzadogs
14-05-2023, 12:28 AM
OH OH OH I have a new moment.

When Lewis Young shinned the ball at a 90 degree angle and they paid 'insufficient intent' and Buckley said 'I think they've actually paid insufficient talent'. **chefs kiss**

macca
14-05-2023, 12:32 AM

When Lewis Young shinned the ball at a 90 degree angle and they paid 'insufficient intent' and Buckley said 'I think they've actually paid insufficient talent'. **chefs kiss**

there is irony in that , it sums up his football persona. "insufficient intent". Its cruel, but its a ruthless sport.

jeemak
14-05-2023, 12:39 AM
Artypants just in front of Libba for mine. Both finishes were mint.

SonofScray
14-05-2023, 01:10 AM
Coaches pushing Cody up to the contest as the extra man win us the game. Credit to them, they nailed that tactically and it sparked a revival in momentum that we rarely are able to recapture once the rot sets in.

angelopetraglia
14-05-2023, 01:24 AM
Arty. Arty. Arty. And you ain’t changing my mind.

The bulldog tragician
14-05-2023, 01:38 AM
Arty for me. Hasn’t he lit us up. I’m going to love seeing his career unfold.

Because I’m excessively mean spirited I also enjoyed the Moment when Cripps shanked an easy shot at goal and it was marked by Liam Jones.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-05-2023, 02:25 AM
Easy peasy, Arty's two consecutive goals in time on when were were behind.

Vred
14-05-2023, 02:35 AM
Libba a close first Arty second.

kruder
14-05-2023, 03:51 AM
Loved Marra's contest that created Artys goal, was good play all round.

Happy Days
14-05-2023, 04:16 AM
Coaches pushing Cody up to the contest as the extra man win us the game. Credit to them, they nailed that tactically and it sparked a revival in momentum that we rarely are able to recapture once the rot sets in.

Great call. I really feel like we hit our game plan yet played kinda bad tonight. This is a perfect example of our coaches getting it right.

jeemak
14-05-2023, 05:14 AM
Great call. I really feel like we hit our game plan yet played kinda bad tonight. This is a perfect example of our coaches getting it right.

The last few weeks have been like that after the footy chocolate that was served up in the Fremantle game. It seems everything has been set up for the players to get on with it, and it's down to effort/ intent or willingness determining if they do.

Additionally, we're on a bit of a path to scarcity for the opposition, which is exactly what we do when we're playing well.

Mantis
14-05-2023, 08:25 AM
Don?t need to look much further than Libba and Arty?s goals? both were superb finishes.

Is there a better kick for goal off a step in the game than Libba? He rarely misses when in that situation.

AshMac
14-05-2023, 08:43 AM

Him standing a meter off the contest just watching naughton work hard on the goal line to get the ball to Scott for his second(?) also gave me warm memories

merantau
14-05-2023, 07:02 PM
Arty and Libba - hard to separate

Danjul
14-05-2023, 07:17 PM
Nonsense. I saw people on WOOF recommending that last week. One In particular that suggested it said he should be put in there for 5 minutes every quarter to help him get back into form.

I suggest that we get rid of the coaches and get the players reading WOOF. Might do better than falling over the line against weak teams.

GVGjr
14-05-2023, 07:22 PM
The moment for me was the Arty Jones handball to Baz who proceeded with a powerful goal. In a game with a small lead see-sawing over a few minutes it stood out to me as the telling moment of the match.

AshMac
14-05-2023, 08:20 PM
Just watched the replay of the final quarter and it is clear the real moment is when Baz gave Bailey Dale a little peck on the side of the head after his goal

SonofScray
14-05-2023, 08:38 PM
Nonsense. I saw people on WOOF recommending that last week. One In particular that suggested it said he should be put in there for 5 minutes every quarter to help him get back into form.

I suggest that we get rid of the coaches and get the players reading WOOF. Might do better than falling over the line against weak teams.

I would accept the club putting you in charge of the rucks and chair of the selection panel in a heartbeat. So long as I was the chief tactician, it’d be the start of a dynasty.

azabob
14-05-2023, 09:29 PM

Gee I wonder why woof posters suggested that? Maybe because Weightman played some modified minutes in the pre season.

jeemak
14-05-2023, 09:36 PM
Gee I wonder why woof posters suggested that? Maybe because Weightman played some modified minutes in the pre season.

Yeah, but you can't give credit to the coaching team for that..........you can't give them credit for anything!

GVGjr
14-05-2023, 10:11 PM

What a wonderful move by Bevo that day and I believe it even caught Cody by surprise. "Flea swap with Robbie (McComb) you're having a run in the midfield" he barked. After a few impactful possessions I thought that this is why we pay Bevo the big bucks :)

Danjul
14-05-2023, 11:47 PM
Yeah, but you can't give credit to the coaching team for that..........you can't give them credit for anything!
They get credit for everything that works and the players get credit for everything that doesn?t (usually phrased in terms of not trying hard enough).

And that is how it should be.

For example, How much thanks and appreciation did the players get for 2021? My general impression was far too little. But That?s how the world works.

bornadog
15-05-2023, 12:21 AM
Having viewed the replay, the moment I thought we had won was when Naughton pass ed the ball to JUH on his own 15 metres out. That goal meant Carlton needed 3 goals in 4 minutes to win, and I thought no way.

azabob
15-05-2023, 09:28 AM
Having viewed the replay, the moment I thought we had won was when Naughton pass ed the ball to JUH on his own 15 metres out. That goal meant Carlton needed 3 goals in 4 minutes to win, and I thought no way.

Did you pick up on the replay it was actually JUH moment?

JUH had to run back towards goal to spoil McGovern who was in a prime position to mark the football and somehow JUH managed to spoil McGovern and not give a way a free kick through front on contact. From that contest he drifted forward to make sure we had an option inside 50m.

bornadog
15-05-2023, 09:40 AM
Did you pick up on the replay it was actually JUH moment?

JUH had to run back towards goal to spoil McGovern who was in a prime position to mark the football and somehow JUH managed to spoil McGovern and not give a way a free kick through front on contact. From that contest he drifted forward to make sure we had an option inside 50m.

Same moment, yes. It was the whole passage of play starting with Libba kicking the ball.

Ozza
15-05-2023, 10:34 AM
The tv version of Arty's goal doesn't do it justice. I was right behind it and the sharp curl at the end was very exciting.

But I think Libba's goal was the moment if I had to pick one.

I'd also say 'the moment' was when Carlton were 8 points down, with still 5 minutes of game time, and people started walking out. We actually texted someone watching at home to check how long because we figured it was only a minute by the way people started walking out. When we went ahead 14 points, the carlton members bay I was in was 3/4's vacant!!!

hujsh
15-05-2023, 10:54 AM
The tv version of Arty's goal doesn't do it justice. I was right behind it and the sharp curl at the end was very exciting.

But I think Libba's goal was the moment if I had to pick one.

I'd also say 'the moment' was when Carlton were 8 points down, with still 5 minutes of game time, and people started walking out. We actually texted someone watching at home to check how long because we figured it was only a minute by the way people started walking out. When we went ahead 14 points, the carlton members bay I was in was 3/4's vacant!!!

Yeah they showed them leaving at 14 points down. I though that was soft, leaving when they were 8 points down is baby territory (even weirder since they stuck around at 31 points deficit without giving up)

ReLoad
15-05-2023, 11:01 AM
A far more visceral moment for me.

I was sitting amongst the Carltonians, one of the wankiest of wank corporate coterie groups you can imagine, and as Jamara kicked his goal in the last, the waft of old money leaving the stadium on mass.

Grantysghost
15-05-2023, 11:08 AM

I was sitting amongst the Carltonians, one of the wankiest of wank corporate coterie groups you can imagine, and as Jamara kicked his goal in the last, the waft of old money leaving the stadium on mass.

Tragic!

angelopetraglia
15-05-2023, 11:10 AM

Ha. Love it. They have been feeling this pain for 20+ years.

mjp
15-05-2023, 12:12 PM
...the waft of old money leaving the stadium on mass.

I (obviously) wasn't there but Foxtel chose to show some shots of Carlton fans streaming out of the venue...I clearly remember thinking at the time that:

1/. They still have time, they just need ONE goal.
2/. You don't beat the traffic leaving 5 mins early...

If you are 5 goals down I get it but it was still game on wasn't it?

Grantysghost
15-05-2023, 12:15 PM
I (obviously) wasn't there but Foxtel chose to show some shots of Carlton fans streaming out of the venue...I clearly remember thinking at the time that:

Their disdain at losing to us is too much to bear.

The cultural divide is massive.

Blue Bloods v Blue Collar.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-05-2023, 12:15 PM

Thought the same. They were only down 14pts with 3 min left at that stage. Shows how frustrated they are.

Happy Days
15-05-2023, 12:16 PM

That’s intergenerational trauma at work my man. Couldn’t ever happen at my consistently successful and well-run club.

Curly5
15-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Arty. And ok, Libba. But I also liked Baz's goal. Sped through the middle and looked like a casual kick, I wondered if it would make the distance but EASILY :)

Ozza
15-05-2023, 12:29 PM
Thought the same. They were only down 14pts with 3 min left at that stage. Shows how frustrated they are.

They came to the game a very frustrated and angry supporter base.
Really turned on McKay from early in the game.
When they did get up and going, were particularly visceral and aggressive and really wanted to 'get up' us as Dogs supporters.
Had the audacity to cry blue murder about the umpiring all night - even though they certainly weren't getting the rough end (the umpiring seemed fine to me and they certainly had a good lead on the FK count).
And then once Libba goaled, were completely dispirited and left.

Had one bloke in particular just teeing off all night on "Ah Bontempelli, don't touch Bontempelli" it was relentless. Couldn't help myself when he said "Ahh well he still hasn't won a brownlow"....."Yeah, but he's got a premiership medallion mate, I don't think he'll swap it either".

bornadog
15-05-2023, 12:47 PM
Arty. And ok, Libba. But I also liked Baz's goal. Sped through the middle and looked like a casual kick, I wondered if it would make the distance but EASILY :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq9RJuzzDR4

Happy Days
15-05-2023, 12:52 PM
I don’t know exactly what’s happened but Barry’s kicking has looked all the way back to 2021 level since he’s gotten off his injury break. Considerably better penetration and the balls are going at a much lower trajectory. That finish is a perfect example of it, a really clean and pretty kick right off the boot.

MrMahatma
15-05-2023, 12:56 PM
Libba's was the moment.

Special mention to Naughton's 2nd poster in the first Qtr for an "almost moment". He kicks that and I reckon we may well have just run away with it pretty easily.

SonofScray
15-05-2023, 01:51 PM
Libba's was the moment.

Special mention to Naughton's 2nd poster in the first Qtr for an "almost moment". He kicks that and I reckon we may well have just run away with it pretty easily.

I remember saying to my cousin that we need a midfielder to kick the goal to break their run, it just wasn't going to come from a forward at that point. Libba getting it done off one step under pressure was sublime.

azabob
15-05-2023, 01:58 PM

I was watching from the couch and I wondered if my eyes were deceiving me as it didn't look like missing!!

azabob
15-05-2023, 02:00 PM
I don’t know exactly what’s happened but Barry’s kicking has looked all the way back to 2021 level since he’s gotten off his injury break. Considerably better penetration and the balls are going at a much lower trajectory. That finish is a perfect example of it, a really clean and pretty kick right off the boot.

I can't remember the game but one game at marvel he was providing the switch kick across the ground in the back half and he was nailing the targets. If he can keep his kicking efficiency 70% plus he is such a weapon.

jeemak
15-05-2023, 02:16 PM
That’s intergenerational trauma at work my man. Couldn’t ever happen at my consistently successful and well-run club.

It's the sweet spot where intergenerational trauma and intergenerational entitlement intersect! And I couldn't be happier for them.

hujsh
15-05-2023, 02:24 PM
It's the sweet spot where intergenerational trauma and intergenerational entitlement intersect! And I couldn't be happier for them.

The harsh reality vs entitlement and unrealistic expectations.

jeemak
15-05-2023, 02:24 PM
I can't remember the game but one game at marvel he was providing the switch kick across the ground in the back half and he was nailing the targets. If he can keep his kicking efficiency 70% plus he is such a weapon.

He did a few of those against Brisbane this year after EW spent the week talking about how he was going to trade him.

He's going just a touch below his career average of 70.3% returning 69.6%, but that's playing a more inside oriented role so it's probably OK.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=6618&pid2=6618&fid1=S&fid2=C

aker39
15-05-2023, 02:31 PM
They came to the game a very frustrated and angry supporter base.
Really turned on McKay from early in the game.
When they did get up and going, were particularly visceral and aggressive and really wanted to 'get up' us as Dogs supporters.

I certainly noticed how nervous and angry they were right from the start, turning on their players as well.

aker39
15-05-2023, 02:33 PM
For me it was Libba's goal.
It came out of no where and not too many players would be able to kick that goal.

He really is a legend.

SonofScray
15-05-2023, 03:09 PM
The harsh reality vs entitlement and unrealistic expectations.

All a bit tragic, really.