PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd10 vs Adelaide 2023

GVGjr
19-05-2023, 04:41 PM
Please list the 3 new things you have learned from today's game against the Adelaide Crows.

westbulldog
20-05-2023, 06:28 PM
1. The small forwards Jones, Scott and Weightman are now settled and doing well as a unit.
2. Rankine thinks he is better than he is.
2. It is a good thing imo that players and supporters can kiss Ballarat goodbye until 2024.

SlimPickens
20-05-2023, 06:43 PM
2. It is a good thing imo that players and supporters can kiss Ballarat goodbye until 2024.

Don’t want the be the bearer of bad news, but we’re back there in round 20.

lemmon
20-05-2023, 07:11 PM
1. The coaching team have their work cut out with Bailey Smith stamping his authority on that midfield group and Treloar on the verge of coming back. Going to be a juggling act getting the best out of them both with centre square spots hard to come by.

2. I think we're seeing Libba's best season. Aging like a fine Barolo.

3. JOD is a defender for the future. Think he has the look of a very good Centre Half Back and he's right in the mix with Gardner, Keath and Bruce for that spot next to Jones. Excellent athlete, attacks it in the air and confident when he does have the footy.

EasternWest
20-05-2023, 07:36 PM
2. I think we're seeing Libba's best season. Aging like a fine Barolo.

It's a Dorian Grey thing. Right now Happy Days has a very sore back, his knees are shot and his hair is receding.

ledge
20-05-2023, 07:43 PM
It's a Dorian Grey thing. Right now Happy Days has a very sore back, his knees are shot and his hair is receding.

Nothing wrong with receding hairline !

azabob
20-05-2023, 07:51 PM
1. Caleb Daniel can play midfield and play it quite well. Building nicely.
2. Bailey Williams he has the potential to be one of the best wingman in the game.
3. JUH is building nicely into our CHF. If he can tidy up his goal kicking he will be even more damaging in the next 2 to 3 years.

EasternWest
20-05-2023, 08:04 PM
Nothing wrong with receding hairline !

Not at all - just saying while Libber doesn't age his identical portrait Happy Days is doing it for him.

Happy Days
20-05-2023, 08:34 PM
Not at all - just saying while Libber doesn't age his identical portrait Happy Days is doing it for him.

Happy to make the sacrifice.

Happy Days
20-05-2023, 08:38 PM
1. Ballarat games are pretty fun! It is cold as hell but the atmosphere is much, much better than at a Marvel game. Would recommend but maybe bring some gloves.

2. Liam Jones is the best key defender in the AFL right now. Not even the most optimistic among us could’ve expected what he’s produced and he’s weirdly growing in confidence every week.

3. Bailey Ball is back. Williams and Smith have maybe never looked better than they have in the last month and Dale had easily his best game for the year today.

We’re really good! Feels much better than being bad.

Bumper Bulldogs
20-05-2023, 08:48 PM
1. We still need to invest in a goal kicking coach
2. We will miss JJ. He is having his best year since 2016
3. I think Doc is hugely under rated. He is the Mathew Boyd of our 2016 team

azabob
20-05-2023, 08:57 PM
4. Rory Lobb >>>>>>>>> Peter Ladhams

Happy Days
20-05-2023, 09:09 PM
4. Rory Lobb >>>>>>>>> Peter Ladhams

Can you imagine if we tried to outbid Sydney like some of us (me) wanted to?

Lobb is a frankly hilariously easy target but he’s getting better every week and his ruck work is fully good. I still think the extra second was an overpay but he’s doing a really nice job.

bulldogtragic
20-05-2023, 09:19 PM

Lobb is a frankly hilariously easy target but he?s getting better every week and his ruck work is fully good. I still think the extra second was an overpay but he?s doing a really nice job.

I?m still happy. I think it was a bit on the overs, but having pick 39 (1st pick of 3rd round) last year and used two 3rds this year to keep us in the second round still. I wonder if we just rationalised it as Lobb for a second, with the previous year?s live trade for 39 and a couple of thirds this year essentially keeping us almost in situ in the second round.

If that?s how Sam Power sees it, we used a previous live trade with North to cover the Pick 30 we offered last year, plus two third rounders this year to keep us in the second round. Sure we will give up 2 x Pick 30?s. But we traded back a Pick 39 (North) and a Pick 35-38 (Bris). From that perspective, it?s not an overpay in net terms. Points trade and three third rounders got the deal done.

Bullies
20-05-2023, 10:20 PM
1. We still need to invest in a goal kicking coach
2. We will miss JJ. He is having his best year since 2016
3. I think Doc is hugely under rated. He is the Mathew Boyd of our 2016 team Like your call on Doc. Was entertaining listening to him today from the outer. He is certainly the General down back telling everyone where to go and when. No surprise when he missed early in the season we fell apart down back.

Bullies
20-05-2023, 10:23 PM

Lobb is a frankly hilariously easy target but he’s getting better every week and his ruck work is fully good. I still think the extra second was an overpay but he’s doing a really nice job. Marra is enjoying it as well having Lobb up forward as he is now getting the 3rd or 4th best defender as Lobb takes 1 or 2 best.

Dry Rot
20-05-2023, 10:42 PM
1. Weightman is maturing into a good all round small forward, other than a high flying show pony. Great pressure work.

2. TOB is handy if played in the right role..

3. Scott deserves to be in the side as a small forward. Him, Arty and Flea are a good trio and complement the three talls.

GVGjr
20-05-2023, 11:10 PM
1 - Our forward line frustrates me no end. They can execute some exciting things but stuff up the easy options.
2 - I thought all of our defenders were first rate today. Shame about JJ.
3 - If we are going to stick with O'Donnell it has to be as a defender.

I'm going to add a 4th one, really impressed with the way we lined up alongside of the Crows players with the tribute before the game.
Exceptional stuff.

1eyedog
20-05-2023, 11:20 PM

All sounds very suss.

Happy Days
21-05-2023, 01:09 AM
All sounds very suss.

It’s true. My hair is not receding.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-05-2023, 01:23 AM

Baldness is passed on, not by the father but the mother.

EasternWest
21-05-2023, 01:29 AM

Nobody tell him.

Mofra
21-05-2023, 01:49 AM
1. Scott just takes his chances when he gets them. No longer a bit-player, he's legitimately dangerous
2. Cody Weightman can play as an 'uphill skiier' - doing the unheralded stuff
3. Arty's trajectory this year is ahead of even the most optimistic projection. His continual improvement is amazing to watch

whythelongface
21-05-2023, 07:08 AM
1. Our defence, led by Jones, has been outstanding. The highest score kicked against us since Rd 2 has been 71. Our mids have also played a part in this effort. It really shows that defence is the cornerstone of success.

2. After an ordinary 2022 Bailey Williams has stepped. He and Baker provide important links between our defence and forwards. The ability of both to hit the scoreboard is a bonus.

3. Anthony Scott really is Mr Versatile - finding himself more in the forward line this year but also bobbing up in other parts of the ground as required.

SonofScray
21-05-2023, 09:25 AM
1. JOD looks capable at this level as a defender in this system. When JJ went off, he went back and while his efforts were good all day, his impact seemed to go up. He’s a great size, and really decisive with his physical efforts. Big opportunity for him to offer us something down there we weren’t necessarily expecting this season.

2. Baz might‘ve needed Adz to go down to remind him that he can be a big dog. Showing his real strengths again after looking like a somewhat tempered version of the star player he was tracking towards.

3. I like the two games in Ballarat more than I initially expected. It’s a niche experience in a footy world that can be pretty vanilla. Fewer bells and whistles, but also less of an assault on the senses. Crowd makes the atmosphere and its a good vibe.

GVGjr
21-05-2023, 09:38 AM
1. JOD looks capable at this level as a defender in this system. When JJ went off, he went back and while his efforts were good all day, his impact seemed to go up. He’s a great size, and really decisive with his physical efforts. Big opportunity for him to offer us something down there we weren’t necessarily expecting this season.

2. Baz might‘ve needed Adz to go down to remind him that he can be a big dog. Showing his real strengths again after looking like a somewhat tempered version of the star player he was tracking towards.

3. I like the two games in Ballarat more than I initially expected. It’s a niche experience in a footy world that can be pretty vanilla. Fewer bells and whistles, but also less of an assault on the senses. Crowd makes the atmosphere and its a good vibe.

I agree with all the points you've made

JOD makes a far better impact by playing as a defender and we can't keep trialing him as a forward at the moment.
Baz has been building to this sort of form for a while.
It's a great experience going to games at Ballarat and the staff I met or dealt with yesterday were all friendly.

The bulldog tragician
21-05-2023, 11:26 AM

You are so right about this. I’m sure no one missed the bombardment of screeching noise and the flashing lights. And leaving the ground, hearing thump, thump, thump of footies as families did kick to kick on the ground was really nostalgic but would be a new experience for quite a few kids.

What I learnt:
1. The turnaround from round 2 was on display. Complete buy in and commitment in tricky conditions in a situation that had danger game written all over it.
2. The Liam Jones comeback has been well beyond my expectations. He’s a reminder too of how long some guys can take to mature. From a flaky and inconsistent forward who seemed to not quite have the right stuff, to this guy who is brave and super aggressive at the ball.
3. Doc Duryea is more than just the tactical leader. He’s slowly worked himself back to playing really good football.

Smads57
21-05-2023, 12:28 PM
With JOD starting fwd yesterday and playing there all game vs Carlton, has Bevo re-created the 4 headed monster fwd line that failed miserably in Rds 1-2. Haven’t we simply replaced a 208 cm player in Darcy with an equally athetlic altho slightly shorter (197 cm) player in JOD?
Love going to Ballarat - has 1970s WO vibes about it.

Before I Die
21-05-2023, 12:41 PM
With JOD starting fwd yesterday and playing there all game vs Carlton, has Bevo re-created the 4 headed monster fwd line that failed miserably in Rds 1-2. Haven’t we simply replaced a 208 cm player in Darcy with an equally athetlic altho slightly shorter (197 cm) player in JOD?

The four headed monster of rounds 1 and 2 didn’t have Weightman and Artie Jones buzzing around the forward fifty. Is JOD a contributing factor to the reduction in opposition intercept marks, or is that happening independent of him?

HOSE B ROMERO
21-05-2023, 02:29 PM
Baldness is passed on, not by the father but the mother.

That's a fact. My Nan had a natural mohican by the time she passed.

GVGjr
21-05-2023, 04:00 PM

I don't think we had 4 key forwards in round 2 due to the Lobb injury but certainly we did have in round one.
Essentially it's a more mobile experiment of what we were hoping to do at the start of the season and at this stage it isn't working.
The clubs initial assessment that JOD was better suited to being a defender looks accurate enough at this stage.

Raels_d
21-05-2023, 05:55 PM
I?m still happy. I think it was a bit on the overs, but having pick 39 (1st pick of 3rd round) last year and used two 3rds this year to keep us in the second round still. I wonder if we just rationalised it as Lobb for a second, with the previous year?s live trade for 39 and a couple of thirds this year essentially keeping us almost in situ in the second round.

If that?s how Sam Power sees it, we used a previous live trade with North to cover the Pick 30 we offered last year, plus two third rounders this year to keep us in the second round. Sure we will give up 2 x Pick 30?s. But we traded back a Pick 39 (North) and a Pick 35-38 (Bris). From that perspective, it?s not an overpay in net terms. Points trade and three third rounders got the deal done.

wow my brain hurts reading this but thank you I think it means good news.

hujsh
22-05-2023, 02:53 PM
Late learning but we've gone from the game changing completely when Bontempelli is off the ground (Port & Freo games) to winning without the main man starring by any means (Hawks, Carlton, Adelaide). The other mids have stepped up.

Matjoh
22-05-2023, 07:07 PM
We need to sign Williams, Scott, Baker and Khamis before the vultures start circling
When and if all hands are on deck at the same time we can win the flag - as long as we learn to kick goals
Naughton at ground level, second third efforts make him the best key forward in the comp

GVGjr
22-05-2023, 07:21 PM
We need to sign Williams, Scott, Baker and Khamis before the vultures start circling
When and if all hands are on deck at the same time we can win the flag - as long as we learn to kick goals
Naughton at ground level, second third efforts make him the best key forward in the comp

Yep, they would be the ones I would target.

hujsh
22-05-2023, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Khamis was looking elsewhere. If he's best as a marking first forward and we have all of Naughton, JUH, Lobb, Weightman and Darcy on the list (maybe Croft coming too) you'd have to imagine there would be other clubs with better capacity to give him opportunity.

JanLorMill
22-05-2023, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Khamis was looking elsewhere. If he's best as a marking first forward and we have all of Naughton, JUH, Lobb, Weightman and Darcy on the list (maybe Croft coming too) you'd have to imagine there would be other clubs with better capacity to give him opportunity.
Yes Khamis might get a game at West coast but so might both of us. Honestly if he wants to go then let him. We ain’t getting much for him

BornInDroopSt'54
23-05-2023, 12:28 AM
That's a fact. My Nan had a natural mohican by the time she passed.

Haha.

jeemak
23-05-2023, 01:18 AM
Yep, they would be the ones I would target.

How do you even know who's out of contract?

ratsmac
23-05-2023, 08:06 AM
1. We need a big win to gain some percentage and we just let an opportunity slip. We had Adelaide on the ropes and we were throwing feather dusters instead of a knock out blow

2. Bailey Smith looks better playing midfield rather than half forward

3. Oscar Baker looks like Phil Maylin!

Bulldog Revolution
23-05-2023, 01:26 PM
1. Ryan Gardner can kick a goal

2. Oscar Baker has been a great moneyball pick, and does indeed look a bit like a modern Phil Shark Maylin (kudos ratsmac)

3. Liam Jones has been a great pickup and seems to fitted superbly back into the club on and off the field

mjp
23-05-2023, 01:35 PM

Ummm.

I guess we need to re-sign Williams.

Scott and Baker - who is chasing them? Scott is 28.
Khamis can't get a game. Who is chasing him??

Bulldog Joe
23-05-2023, 01:59 PM
Ummm.

I am in agreement particularly on Khamis.

We have found he lacks something to play back. (I think pace is an issue)
He has been tried forward with success at VFL level but he is a marking player and sits behind Naughton, Jamarra, Darcy and probably Croft next year without considering how long Lobb will be around. The coach has also put him behind the new toy in O'Donnell.

If Khamis is going to have an AFL career he needs to find somewhere else to play.

hujsh
23-05-2023, 02:04 PM
If Carlton let Silvagni go, Khamis would be a handy replacement on the cheap

The Underdog
23-05-2023, 02:47 PM
How do you even know who's out of contract?

G asks the players when he goes to training sessions. It’s the only real way to find out.

jeemak
23-05-2023, 03:40 PM
G asks the players when he goes to training sessions. It’s the only real way to find out.

I wish there was some sort of WOOF repository we could lean on.

EasternWest
23-05-2023, 03:46 PM

I thought you were the suppository of all information?

GVGjr
23-05-2023, 04:09 PM
G asks the players when he goes to training sessions. It?s the only real way to find out.

Happy to ask any of them tomorrow :)

Flamethrower
23-05-2023, 04:20 PM
1. We need a big win to gain some percentage and we just let an opportunity slip. We had Adelaide on the ropes and we were throwing feather dusters instead of a knock out blow

2. Bailey Smith looks better playing midfield rather than half forward

I would have taken a 45 point win against a red hot Crows pre-game, especially seeing that we kept them to only 5 goals.
We will have 2 golden opportunities to boost our percentage against North and WCE (could be a 30 goal win if the team that showed up against Hawthorn plays us at Marvel) later this year.

Bulldog Joe
23-05-2023, 05:43 PM
I would have taken a 45 point win against a red hot Crows pre-game, especially seeing that we kept them to only 5 goals.
We will have 2 golden opportunities to boost our percentage against North and WCE (could be a 30 goal win if the team that showed up against Hawthorn plays us at Marvel) later this year.

I would expect that WCE will have players trying to impress a new coach for a 2024 and beyond contract.

We are not likely to have a team as soft as the one that fronted Hawthorn.

I hope we need a big boost to percentage by round 23 or Bevo may just be resting players.

The Underdog
23-05-2023, 06:14 PM

Nope. Can’t be done. Technology just isn’t there yet.

(This is absolutely my favourite ongoing bit on WOOF, may it live forever)

bulldogsthru&thru
23-05-2023, 06:22 PM
Nope. Can’t be done. Technology just isn’t there yet.

(This is absolutely my favourite ongoing bit on WOOF, may it live forever)

We could get an excel spread sheet going.

AshMac
24-05-2023, 09:05 AM
1. Baz may look good on a billboard with his rig out but he looks 100x better w 34 touches. Getting 2021 Baz back is a game changer

2. % looks like it?ll be important and we missed a golden opp to win by 100 points

3. For the first time I can think of Bonts body language was off. He was clearly frustrated ojt there and to me looked sore

dog town
24-05-2023, 10:15 AM
1. Baz may look good on a billboard with his rig out but he looks 100x better w 34 touches. Getting 2021 Baz back is a game changer

2. % looks like it?ll be important and we missed a golden opp to win by 100 points

3. For the first time I can think of Bonts body language was off. He was clearly frustrated ojt there and to me looked sore Bont couldn’t move laterally very well even before he had the little knee issue from what I could see. Potentially been carrying something for a few weeks.

hujsh
24-05-2023, 10:50 AM

3. For the first time I can think of Bonts body language was off. He was clearly frustrated ojt there and to me looked sore

If we continue to put in good defencive performances the % will correct itself. It's much easier to fix a bad % if you can keep the against column low and we're the 3rd lowest score against team now. Any wins we get will have a bigger impact on our %.

Feel like I just said the same thing 3 times but anyway...

Bulldog Joe
24-05-2023, 11:09 AM
If we continue to put in good defencive performances the % will correct itself. It's much easier to fix a bad % if you can keep the against column low and we're the 3rd lowest score against team now. Any wins we get will have a bigger impact on our %.

Since the abomination of round 1 and 2 we are actually the lowest with only 511 points conceded in 8 rounds.

azabob
24-05-2023, 12:26 PM

Well this is the thread for 3 things...

Matjoh
25-05-2023, 05:16 PM
Ummm.

Ummm,

I didn't say anyone was chasing them, I said we should sign them before vultures circle, its a hyperbole [because their contracts are due and they are playing good football in my opinion].
Over the years and recently we've had many players who can't get games as you say = young x 2, Lipinski hrovat stevens hayes greene, cordy, it goes on - can't say they were all "good" or all young but got games elsewhere.

Grantysghost
25-05-2023, 05:18 PM
Khamis, time to move on. Love the story however not sure he's going to feature in our plans going forward.

JanLorMill
25-05-2023, 06:14 PM
Ummm,

I didn't say anyone was chasing them, I said we should sign them before vultures circle, its a hyperbole [because their contracts are due and they are playing good football in my opinion].
Over the years and recently we've had many players who can't get games as you say = young x 2, Lipinski hrovat stevens hayes greene, cordy, it goes on - can't say they were all "good" or all young but got games elsewhere.
Not sure anyone of those you mentioned have hurt us. We have gone the other way too often re-signing or having to long a contract for the likes Gowers, Lloyd, Porter, Wallis, Butler, Dickson, Suckling, Wood, martin, etc

jeemak
25-05-2023, 06:28 PM
Here's an interesting question, if Patty Lipinski was still with us (and injury free) would he be getting a game?

hujsh
25-05-2023, 06:38 PM
Here's an interesting question, if Patty Lipinski was still with us (and injury free) would he be getting a game?

What a question. It's possible he goes in the middle ahead of Daniel or Smith but that may be a worse outcome for us

D Mitchell
25-05-2023, 07:18 PM
It's a very good question. Paddy played every game in 2022 and is an automatic selection at C'wood, 2023's most exciting team in the competition yet struggled with us. In theory, I've seen him once since he left, 13 May last year but my memories are of Treloar's outstanding game, I can't recall noticing Paddy at all. That said, I rank C'wood's current direct and fast game plan ahead of our more cautious and possession oriented version. I'd say he's a better fit at C'wood and I've no reason to think he'd be any different, in and out, had he stayed.

bornadog
26-05-2023, 04:21 AM

If PL was still with us we may not have Arty Jones

dog town
26-05-2023, 05:15 AM
It's a very good question. Paddy played every game in 2022 and is an automatic selection at C'wood, 2023's most exciting team in the competition yet struggled with us. In theory, I've seen him once since he left, 13 May last year but my memories are of Treloar's outstanding game, I can't recall noticing Paddy at all. That said, I rank C'wood's current direct and fast game plan ahead of our more cautious and possession oriented version. I'd say he's a better fit at C'wood and I've no reason to think he'd be any different, in and out, had he stayed.
He has regressed back to his normal output by the end of last season, he would be doing the same for the pies if available as he was for us.

The only role available for us that he might have latched on Toni’s a wing position but it was never his best role.

ratsmac
26-05-2023, 06:50 PM
Tom Mitchell may have taken Lipinski's spot. Patty might be in the same position at Collingwood when he returns that he was with us on the fringes

macca
26-05-2023, 06:54 PM

No he won't because he cannot tackle.

Mitchell at least has an agressive streak in him, he hunts for the ball.

I don't see the hunger in Patty. His more of an outside mid, who is slow.