PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 19 v Essendon

Scraggers
19-05-2023, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Eighteen match against Sydney for our Round Nineteen match against Essendon at Marvel on Friday night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
13-07-2023, 09:35 AM
Bump

bulldogtragic
13-07-2023, 10:46 PM
Out: JOD, Darcy, McNeil

In: Bruce, Lobb, Buss

azabob
13-07-2023, 11:06 PM
Out: JOD, Darcy, McNeil

In: Bruce, Lobb, Buss

Too top heavy with those ins. No need to bring Bruce in.

JanLorMill
13-07-2023, 11:10 PM
Dureya out please

bulldogtragic
13-07-2023, 11:12 PM
Too top heavy with those ins. No need to bring Bruce in.

Ok, Clarke in.

G-Mo77
What happened with Darcy. I missed most of the 3rd

bulldogtragic
What happened with Darcy. I missed most of the 3rd

Corky.

bornadog
13-07-2023, 11:58 PM
Smith will come back in.

Out JOD and Darcy

In Lobb and Smith

I don't think it will happen, but Duryea should be dropped

JanLorMill
14-07-2023, 12:02 AM
Cleary for Dureya. Cleary might be no good but we will never know if we don’t play him. Give Cleary 2 years!

angelopetraglia
14-07-2023, 12:15 AM
We can't carry all of Garcia, McNeil and Scott. Baz for one of them.

Lobb for Darcy.

josie
14-07-2023, 01:47 AM
JJ if he is ready and Lobb and Smith
for JoD and Darcy and McNeil

I’d also like Cleary to be given another go at expense of Duryea

Bullies
14-07-2023, 08:05 AM
JJ if he is ready and Lobb and Smith
for JoD and Darcy and McNeil

I’d also like Cleary to be given another go at expense of Duryea Can't believe no one wants VDM out. He has no idea how to defend. Papley toweled him up with a minimum of touches.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2023, 08:35 AM
Can't believe no one wants VDM out. He has no idea how to defend. Papley toweled him up with a minimum of touches.

Waste of breath. The club gave him two years m, it’s clearly very happy with him.

EasternWest
14-07-2023, 10:52 AM
Can't believe no one wants VDM out. He has no idea how to defend. Papley toweled him up with a minimum of touches.

I want him out.

That being said, Papley is a gun and Vandermeer has no business being on him, so that's not his fault.

meenies
14-07-2023, 01:36 PM
Bus for JOD
Sweet for Darcy (only first quarter of reserves but has taken 2 masks (his KPI) and deserves an upgrade). Let Lobb reflect one week longer although I value what he brings to the structure and takes players away from others (how many times did JUH or Naughton have a spare man flying with him?)
Play Scott forward. He is a lot better there.
I also thought VDM was OK and want more players with speed not less. Look like he had more confidence in his legs last night.
Garcia for McNeil.
Watch more of reserves for Gallagher & Baker (2 goals each is 1st Q) to see if one comes up.

bornadog
14-07-2023, 04:18 PM
Is Harvey Gallagher ready for a debut?

29 Disposals, two goals in VFL today

whythelongface
14-07-2023, 04:35 PM
In
Gallagher, Busslinger, Khamis, Sweet and Baker (Smith for Baker if ok)

Out
JOD, Darcy, McNeil, Garcia, Duryea

bornadog
14-07-2023, 04:51 PM
In
Gallagher, Busslinger, Khamis, Sweet and Baker (Smith for Baker if ok)

Out
JOD, Darcy, McNeil, Garcia, Duryea

Garcia was a sub - so are you saying one of your ins replaces him

Boots
14-07-2023, 04:59 PM

I want him out. He gives away stupid frees and often seems to make bad decisions, especially by hand.

I vastly prefer Garcia.

Also did I miss something, what happened to Bedendo?

bornadog
14-07-2023, 05:07 PM
I want him out. He gives away stupid frees and often seems to make bad decisions, especially by hand.

I vastly prefer Garcia.

Also did I miss something, what happened to Bedendo?

He reinjured himself - could be season

whythelongface
14-07-2023, 05:10 PM
Garcia was a sub - so are you saying one of your ins replaces him

Good point. Possibly maybe VDM goes sub.
Wonder if JJ is ok for next game.

bornadog
14-07-2023, 05:12 PM
Good point. Possibly maybe VDM goes sub.
Wonder if JJ is ok for next game.

Last injury report was another 2 /3 weeks, but that can also be conservative

westbulldog
14-07-2023, 05:19 PM
We are now making up the numbers, so lets give some players a deserved chance for a change.

In
Sweet (he was matched against Tom Hickey i.e not against a 2nd string vfl ruck), Khamis, Cleary, B Smith, Busslinger

Out
Darcy, O'Donnell, McNeill, Duryea, Gardner

JanLorMill
14-07-2023, 05:42 PM
We are now making up the numbers, so lets give some players a deserved chance for a change.

In
Sweet (he was matched against Tom Hickey i.e not against a 2nd string vfl ruck), Khamis, Cleary, B Smith, Busslinger

and Ladhams with Lobb on our side. I can?t say who won the ruck battle.

kruder
14-07-2023, 06:01 PM

Awesome! The kid has some wheels, neat kick just always worried that they can't win enough ball. That's a great sign indeed.

GVGjr
14-07-2023, 07:35 PM

He has to be close.

angelopetraglia
14-07-2023, 08:48 PM
Ralph

"Rampe’s two week suspension came after Lachlan McNeil suffered delayed concussion after playing out the game. So what might have been a fine at worst develops into a multi week suspension. Sydney might challenge it and say how do we know he was injured in this incident? "

"Rampe is responsible for the concussion if it is clearly this knock that caused it. The Dogs have confirmed McNeil is in the concussion protocol. But with Melican hamstrung and the Swans still some chance of playing finals they might challenge it"

1eyedog
15-07-2023, 10:27 AM

In

Out
Darcy, O'Donnell, McNeill, Duryea, Gardner

That all sounds fine let's roll the dice what do we have to lose really?

Buss is no where near ready but neither is JOD so, meh.

The Doctor
15-07-2023, 11:12 AM
my changes

Gallagher in for McNeill

Busslinger for JOD

Cleary in for Duryea (managed)

Khamis for Darcy (if injured)

B.Smith for Scott

Garcia or Baker as Sub

bornadog
15-07-2023, 12:06 PM
my changes

Gallagher in for McNeill

Busslinger for JOD

B.Smith for Scott

Garcia or Baker as Sub

My only doubt there is Busslinger because not sure he is ready. Will also depend on Essendons forwards.

azabob
15-07-2023, 01:12 PM
My only doubt there is Busslinger because not sure he is ready. Will also depend on Essendons forwards.

I don’t disagree, but would you prefer Bruce or Busslinger to play? It’s an interesting one.

Rocco Jones
15-07-2023, 01:38 PM
my changes

Gallagher in for McNeill

Busslinger for JOD

B.Smith for Scott
t a few s
Garcia or Baker as Sub

Basically my exact changes.

I get we are debuting two players and another two would be having their first AFL game r the season but a few circumstances:
- Buss I think suits the KPD3 role more than anyone left. Get if we go Bruce though.
- Doc is cooked. I am a fan of the onfield coaches but he looks absolutely done to me. Cleary doing well at VFL level.
- Gallagher I think is naturally a wide player. We are struggling with role/depth guys. Get if we go safer route but I think he should be given a game.
- I'd have Khamis in for selection integrity. He was named as an emergency ahead of Lobb and seemed to have a stronger game. Suited to the R2/KPF. If it's purely win now, I'd probably go Lobb but kinda makes dropping him a bit pointless. I would get it I guess with the amount of inexperienced guys we are bringing in.

G-Mo77
15-07-2023, 02:22 PM

JOD isn't/wasn't ready either yet we've put 7 - 8 games into him already. I get the argument and agree with you, it's just that why one set of rules for one and not the other? 3rd string defender is open, perfect chance to play him IMO.

bornadog
15-07-2023, 03:16 PM
I don’t disagree, but would you prefer Bruce or Busslinger to play? It’s an interesting one.

Who plays on Peter Wright?

azabob
15-07-2023, 03:56 PM
Who plays on Peter Wright?

What does that have to do with my question? O’Donnell wouldn’t have played on Wright.

Either Gardner or Keath would obviously pick Wright up.

bornadog
15-07-2023, 04:56 PM
What does that have to do with my question? O’Donnell wouldn’t have played on Wright.

Either Gardner or Keath would obviously pick Wright up.

Plenty to do with your question. Can Bruce play Wright? I have no confidence in any of our backman playing on Wright

bornadog
15-07-2023, 04:57 PM
JOD isn't/wasn't ready either yet we've put 7 - 8 games into him already. I get the argument and agree with you, it's just that why one set of rules for one and not the other? 3rd string defender is open, perfect chance to play him IMO.

I guess JOD played because he has a mature body compared to Buss who is only 19 years old.

I don't mind giving him a go, he has played well in the VFL

Mantis
17-07-2023, 10:50 AM
Plenty to do with your question. Can Bruce play Wright? I have no confidence in any of our backman playing on Wright

Given Dixon kicked 3 on Bruce in about 15min is his last game I'm not sure I have any confidence that he can do the job on 2m Peter... agree with the last bit, but that's the issue we have with no Jones.

Mantis
17-07-2023, 10:52 AM
I guess JOD played because he has a mature body compared to Buss who is only 19 years old.

I don't mind giving him a go, he has played well in the VFL

JOD is only 20 and has never trained his body as a professional footballer before this last pre-season... and that was only in a semi-professional environment.

Grantysghost
17-07-2023, 10:56 AM
JOD is only 20 and has never trained his body as a professional footballer before this last pre-season... and that was only in a semi-professional environment.

Yes, playing Cricket doesn't really prepare you for the rigours of AFL. It's amazing how well he is coping.

bornadog
17-07-2023, 11:05 AM

Didn't realise he is only 20.

Yes, playing Cricket doesn't really prepare you for the rigours of AFL. It's amazing how well he is coping.

Pretty sure he had a preseason with the club. Buzz didn't have a preseason due to injury

Grantysghost
17-07-2023, 11:07 AM
Didn't realise he is only 20.

Pretty sure he had a preseason with the club. Buzz didn't have a preseason due to injury

Think he did a pre-season with Footscray.

azabob
17-07-2023, 11:32 AM
Think he did a pre-season with Footscray.

Correct, pretty much no involvement with the AFL team until we formally signed him.

Scorlibo
17-07-2023, 12:19 PM
I think the best matchup we have for Langford is Williams, so I'd be bringing Baker in to play on the wing, sending Williams back. Then when Wright takes his turn in the ruck, rolling Gardner and Keath over to cover Weideman, Langford and allowing Williams to run off half back.

Out: Darcy, JOD, McNeil
In: Lobb, Baker, Garcia

Sub: Arty Jones

Mofra
17-07-2023, 12:38 PM
Given Dixon kicked 3 on Bruce in about 15min is his last game I'm not sure I have any confidence that he can do the job on 2m Peter... agree with the last bit, but that's the issue we have with no Jones.
Keath and/or Gardner.
Gardner might stop him better, Keath seems to have better positioning.

Gardner still takes an extra second to get boot to ball, and it's Bruce's biggest issue. I'm not convinced we can play both in the same side.

lemmon
17-07-2023, 02:00 PM
I think the best matchup we have for Langford is Williams, so I'd be bringing Baker in to play on the wing, sending Williams back. Then when Wright takes his turn in the ruck, rolling Gardner and Keath over to cover Weideman, Langford and allowing Williams to run off half back.

I like that logic - who goes to Stringer?

azabob
17-07-2023, 02:04 PM
Interestingly the club have just released Harvey Gallaghers highlights from the weekends VFL game.

They also did the same thing with Sam Darcy last week.

Jeanette54
17-07-2023, 02:16 PM

Speaking of Arty, how has he been going in the twos?

Also, it will be very interesting (next year) to see how the youngsters we have invested games in this year, go next year. Will our investments pay a performance dividend?

angelopetraglia
17-07-2023, 02:21 PM
Interestingly the club have just released Harvey Gallaghers highlights from the weekends VFL game.

They also did the same thing with Sam Darcy last week.

Yes. I thought exactly the same thing. The kid is probably going to play.

bornadog
17-07-2023, 03:21 PM
Speaking of Arty, how has he been going in the twos?

Also, it will be very interesting (next year) to see how the youngsters we have invested games in this year, go next year. Will our investments pay a performance dividend?

Arty didn't play well the previous couple of weeks in the VFL. Last week against a very poor Swans team, he kicked a couple of goals, and probably should have had at least 4.

Mantis
17-07-2023, 03:22 PM
I like that logic - who goes to Stringer?

Richards?

Scorlibo
17-07-2023, 05:29 PM
Richards?

Seems the best match athletically, and might be able to play his intercept game when Stringer attends centre bounces.

Rocco Jones
17-07-2023, 05:55 PM
Do we select a 3rd KPD?
1- Bruce is clunky and Buss would be making his debut
2- They are going with Weideman + 2MP (who also relieves in the ruck) then Stringer + Langford as mediums

I think we are perhaps better served bringing Cleary in. alongside Ed, to play in medium spots. Maybe Truck down there as well.

bornadog
17-07-2023, 06:04 PM
Do we select a 3rd KPD?
2- They are going with Weideman + 2MP (who also relieves in the ruck) then Stringer + Langford as mediums

I think we are perhaps better served bringing Cleary in. alongside Ed, to play in medium spots. Maybe Truck down there as well.

Cleary is 191cm, so would be ideal to go to backline

DOG GOD
17-07-2023, 07:05 PM
Without Jones it won?t matter who plays on 2MP. If he?s on song he will kick 6 against our backline.
He?s done nothing for about a month. He?s due.

bornadog
17-07-2023, 07:23 PM
Without Jones it won?t matter who plays on 2MP. If he?s on song he will kick 6 against our backline.
He?s done nothing for about a month. He?s due.

Essendon have won 1 in the last ten against us. Last year Peter kicked 4 and they still lost.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-07-2023, 01:32 PM
Do we select a 3rd KPD?

Tend to agree.

Something we did under Eade to good effect. Gilbee was one who at times played on the third tall and then burned them on the rebound.

I think we're 'too tall' when we go with 3 KPDs - they just aren't a good mix.

DOG GOD
18-07-2023, 02:55 PM
Essendon have won 1 in the last ten against us. Last year Peter kicked 4 and they still lost.

He kicked 7.0 round 21 2021 against us…so like I said, if he’s on song, it won’t matter who plays on him. I didn’t say they’d necessarily win the game. I just don’t see a good match up for him.

Mofra
18-07-2023, 02:55 PM
Do we select a 3rd KPD?

Langford plays tall so we'd need to play a medium-tall type on him. He's also pretty strong in the air

Mantis
18-07-2023, 03:10 PM
He kicked 7.0 round 21 2021 against us…so like I said, if he’s on song, it won’t matter who plays on him. I didn’t say they’d necessarily win the game. I just don’t see a good match up for him.

I'm positive we have a better match-up than Cordy & Schache who played on him when he kicked 7.

bornadog
18-07-2023, 03:11 PM

I am with you as I said in another post - I am not confident in any of our talls to do the job. I guess we need to restrict his supply like we did in the Elimination final

GVGjr
19-07-2023, 10:43 AM
A few players in the mix this week. Perhaps we might even see a debut game from Busslinger and/or Gallagher and Lobb and Bruce might be in the mix as well. The MC is meeting today and for whatever I think this might be one of the more critical team selections of the season.

bornadog
20-07-2023, 12:48 PM
* Bevo has mentioned second ruck roll will be between Lobb and Buku - find out this afternoon

* also said just because Smith doesn't go to many Centre bounces, doesn't mean he is not playing midfield.

mjp
20-07-2023, 01:35 PM
* also said just because Smith doesn't go to many Centre bounces, doesn't mean he is not playing midfield.

That's true of course...but he hasn't really been playing midfield and Bevo implying otherwise is not really being honest.

bornadog
20-07-2023, 01:44 PM
That's true of course...but he hasn't really been playing midfield and Bevo implying otherwise is not really being honest.

Where does he play then? He may line up at HFF, but I never see him there

mjp
20-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Where does he play then? He may line up at HFF, but I never see him there

HFF isn't really a position though is it??

He is playing as a high forward and is pretty consistently on the forward side of the winger...
If you want to call that a midfield role then go for it - to me it isn't often Smith who is the extra at around the ground ball-ups and BTI's but he does that sometimes...Macrae seems to do that most of the time...and he is also playing as a high forward.

To me - positionally - you pretty much are who you defend because that will dictate your starting position in transition.

Mantis
20-07-2023, 02:16 PM
HFF isn't really a position though is it??

He is playing as a high forward and is pretty consistently on the forward side of the winger...
If you want to call that a midfield role then go for it - to me it isn't often Smith who is the extra at around the ground ball-ups and BTI's but he does that sometimes...Macrae seems to do that most of the time...and he is also playing as a high forward.

To me - positionally - you pretty much are who you defend because that will dictate your starting position in transition.

And given the 2 players you mentioned, and the rest of our mids don't put a focus or priority on defending it leaves much to do too few.... and exposes our defence to clean ball which we can't deal with.

mjp
20-07-2023, 02:34 PM
And given the 2 players you mentioned, and the rest of our mids don't put a focus or priority on defending it leaves much to do too few.... and exposes our defence to clean ball which we can't deal with.

Well...our mids are getting tonnes of it and the oppo aren't really defending them either...the issue is we are getting burned on t/o and just holding the ball inside 50 for 30 seconds instead of 2 would make a BIG difference...you know, Bont pushes forward, Merrett chases him...ball turns over 'cos Zirk-Thatcher marks it - Merrett finds himself in 15m of space cos he wasn't where he should have been re- Bont, Zirk-Thatcher releases by foot to Merrett, now Bont is chasing...

It's a story as old as time itself. We need to improve the f50 connection and at the very least we need to SLOW THE OPPO DOWN.

(All of that said, I would be tagging Merrett this week).

bornadog
20-07-2023, 02:42 PM

Brenton Sanderson said the same this morning in his analysis of the game.

Who tags him?

Sedat
20-07-2023, 02:53 PM
Well...our mids are getting tonnes of it and the oppo aren't really defending them either...the issue is we are getting burned on t/o and just holding the ball inside 50 for 30 seconds instead of 2 would make a BIG difference...you know, Bont pushes forward, Merrett chases him...ball turns over 'cos Zirk-Thatcher marks it - Merrett finds himself in 15m of space cos he wasn't where he should have been re- Bont, Zirk-Thatcher releases by foot to Merrett, now Bont is chasing...

It's a story as old as time itself. We need to improve the f50 connection and at the very least we need to SLOW THE OPPO DOWN.

No surprise that our best run of sustained form was when Arty Jones was providing strong defensive pressure in our F50 and pressuring the opposition D50 rebounders - and of course Liam Jones was in imperial form in that stretch as well. As a result, we defended the ground from turnover much better.

Arty losing form (to be expected for such an inexperienced player in a tough position) and Liam getting injured has exposed us on both fronts - frontal pressure has dropped significantly, and defending from turnover has been badly compromised.

Mantis
20-07-2023, 02:54 PM

If we weren't interested in tagging Gulden, or Daicos or any other mid who hurts us post-clearance why would we change tact this week?

And for me it's ok if Bont doesn't do the heavy lifting defensively, he's our main weapon going forward, but others need to cover, but the others are flat out doing their job so have no capacity to cover others.

GVGjr
20-07-2023, 03:17 PM
Brenton Sanderson said the same this morning in his analysis of the game.

Who tags him?

I'd go with Daniel

bornadog
20-07-2023, 03:20 PM
I'd go with Daniel

Good suggestion and Daniel will win plenty of the ball as well.

GVGjr
20-07-2023, 03:36 PM
Good suggestion and Daniel will win plenty of the ball as well.

Daniel would make him work hard if he tries to rack up a lot of kicks across half back.

G-Mo77
20-07-2023, 03:43 PM
Buku will be in, the vibe didn't sound to good for a Lobb return. My guess will be Smith, Buku, Cleary

Rocco Jones
20-07-2023, 03:55 PM
I think Lobb is in and Bevo is just giving Buku some love and/or letting Lobb know role isn't his automatically. But trying to predict Bevo is madness and if you are right, it means you are on the same wave length as a mad man anyway. Mad/genius perhaps.

Mantis
20-07-2023, 04:06 PM
Daniel would make him work hard if he tries to rack up a lot of kicks across half back.

Daniel was following Gulden around for parts last week and didn't get close to curbing his influence... would like to think that if has a role on Merrett then he stops Merrett as his 1st priority and then helps us in attack if he can.

Bullies
20-07-2023, 04:13 PM
No surprise that our best run of sustained form was when Arty Jones was providing strong defensive pressure in our F50 and pressuring the opposition D50 rebounders - and of course Liam Jones was in imperial form in that stretch as well. As a result, we defended the ground from turnover much better.

Arty losing form (to be expected for such an inexperienced player in a tough position) and Liam getting injured has exposed us on both fronts - frontal pressure has dropped significantly, and defending from turnover has been badly compromised. It proves what a waste of time and space it is having McNeill in the team as he is supposed to be our "pressure" forward. I agree re Arty. He is only young and he blew up after a few games but once he gets a bigger engine and a big pre season he should be the go to.

Sedat
20-07-2023, 05:23 PM
It proves what a waste of time and space it is having McNeill in the team as he is supposed to be our "pressure" forward.
I can understand the repeated opportunities - we were 6-0 with McNeil and Scott providing the defensive heat in our F50 for the first 6 rounds of 2021. But to be fair it is 2023 and not 2021, otherwise Keath and Bruce would be in AA calculations.

Grantysghost
20-07-2023, 05:32 PM
I can understand the repeated opportunities - we were 6-0 with McNeil and Scott providing the defensive heat in our F50 for the first 6 rounds of 2021. But to be fair it is 2023 and not 2021, otherwise Keath and Bruce would be in AA calculations.

I wonder who else we have though?

azabob
20-07-2023, 07:20 PM
Essendon v Western Bulldogs
Friday 21 July, 7.50pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Laith Vandermeer, Ryan Gardner, Josh Bruce

HB: Bailey Dale, Alex Keath, Ed Richards

C: Caleb Poulter, Marcus Bontempelli, Oskar Baker

HF: Jack Macrae, Aaron Naughton, Adam Treloar

F: Cody Weightman, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Anthony Scott

R: Tim English, Caleb Daniel, Tom Liberatore

Int: Bailey Smith, Rhylee West, Taylor Duryea, Buku Khamis

Sub: Bailey Williams

Emer: Rory Lobb, Jordon Sweet, Riley Garcia

IN: Khamis, Bruce, B.Smith, Baker

OUT: Darcy (injured), McNeil (concussion), O’Donnell (concussion), Garcia (sub)

azabob
20-07-2023, 07:22 PM
Interesting Williams is the sub

azabob
20-07-2023, 07:26 PM
Also looks like no Sam Draper for the bombers.

JanLorMill
20-07-2023, 07:28 PM
Baker in on the back of poor vfl form must be the good bloke selection. Cleary mustn’t be a good bloke.

whythelongface
20-07-2023, 07:30 PM
I get the Bruce inclusion but i don’t agree with it. Rather Buss given the chance. Happy with the other 3. Williams as the sub is interesting.

whythelongface
20-07-2023, 07:31 PM
Baker in on the back of poor vfl form must be the good bloke selection. Cleary mustn?t be a good bloke.

Baker was excellent last week and should be included

Axe Man
20-07-2023, 07:32 PM
Strange move to make Williams the sub but perhaps he just needs a little freshen up?

Good to see Buku get a chance but he won't have it easy when he goes into the ruck with Essendon playing 2 rucks in Phillips and Bryan.

Sam Weideman finally dropped after failing to kick a goal for 2 months.

Grantysghost
20-07-2023, 07:33 PM
Baker in on the back of poor vfl form must be the good bloke selection. Cleary mustn’t be a good bloke.

Didn't he kick 3 goals and have 25 touches?

Grantysghost
20-07-2023, 07:34 PM
I get the Bruce inclusion but i don’t agree with it. Rather Buss given the chance. Happy with the other 3. Williams as the sub is interesting.

He did his knee against these guys too.

I'm worried about Bruce. Fingers crossed for him.

Axe Man
20-07-2023, 07:39 PM
He did his knee against these guys too.

I'm worried about Bruce. Fingers crossed for him.

Hopefully playing on the resting ruckman will be more within his capabilities than Charlie Dixon was. Leave Wright and Langford for Keath and Gardner.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-07-2023, 07:40 PM
Didn't he kick 3 goals and have 25 touches?

Yeah he was good last week.

Don't know what Cleary needs to do though.

HOSE B ROMERO
20-07-2023, 07:47 PM
Great to see Buku finally in. Looked good down back last year against the Pies. And playing forward this year for Footscray has been really consistent. Strong overhead and has a nice action kicking for goal.

Grantysghost
20-07-2023, 07:48 PM
Hopefully playing on the resting ruckman will be more within his capabilities than Charlie Dixon was. Leave Wright and Langford for Keath and Gardner.

You know he's going to 2mp... It's a given Axe!

G-Mo77
20-07-2023, 07:48 PM
Great to see Buku in, hopefully gets a decent shot at it and not one and done. Doubt it but we'll see.

Absolutely bizarre to have Williams as sub.

GVGjr
20-07-2023, 07:52 PM
And chance that Khamis swings back and lets Bruce do the relief ruck work?

westbulldog
20-07-2023, 08:00 PM
fullback line of Vandermeer Gardner and Bruce, start praying

G-Mo77
20-07-2023, 08:01 PM

If they do this I'd be disappointed as they've played him as a Fwd/Ruck pretty much the whole season. It's a position I would play him, he should have been there instead of TOB or JOD but we've made him learn the Fwd/Ruck role. To go against that would be ridiculous so it probably will happen.

Grantysghost
20-07-2023, 08:09 PM

Zero. Bevo said its between Lobb and Buku for the second ruck role in presser.

Grantysghost
20-07-2023, 08:12 PM
Unless.... He's playing us all for whiteboards...

Bevo you magnificent bastard.

bornadog
20-07-2023, 08:12 PM
Baker in on the back of poor vfl form must be the good bloke selection. Cleary mustn?t be a good bloke.

Baker 22 disposals and 3 goals

jeemak
20-07-2023, 08:27 PM
Interesting Williams is the sub

He's been in and out of games since playing really well for the first half of the year. His inconsistency week to week, and within games would drive the coaching team batshit. It certainly does me.

jeemak
20-07-2023, 08:28 PM

No no no no!

The MC and especially Bevo are crazy mate. Crazy!

hujsh
20-07-2023, 08:28 PM
If Bruce is playing on the resting ruck no reason he can't follow them into the ruck occasionally too

Grantysghost
20-07-2023, 08:30 PM
He's been in and out of games since playing really well for the first half of the year. His inconsistency week to week, and within games would drive the coaching team batshit. It certainly does me.

Spot the fk on.

He is one guy who seems to get a free ride with supporters for the most part and I don't get why.

Just doesn't do enough.

Duryea is the other.

jeemak
20-07-2023, 08:32 PM
Really happy for Buku, let's hope he can snag a few and compete with intensity doing his best to keep Lobb out.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2023, 08:35 PM
Really happy for Buku, let's hope he can snag a few and compete with intensity doing his best to keep Lobb out.

I always secretly knew you were anti-lobbite. Then you just say the quiet part out loud.

jeemak
20-07-2023, 08:40 PM
I always secretly knew you were anti-lobbite. Then you just say the quiet part out loud.

If he's doing enough to keep Lobb out then he'll be playing really well, and contributing a lot. It will mean Lobb's probably playing really well too, as the MC will look to get him in as soon as possible.

JanLorMill
20-07-2023, 10:45 PM
Sorry I was thinking the week before. I?m not much of fan but we don?t have much else

kruder
21-07-2023, 01:10 AM
Garcia is a strange one, why did he play as sub then get dropped the week later? Makes no sense at all.

jeemak
21-07-2023, 01:45 AM
Garcia is a strange one, why did he play as sub then get dropped the week later? Makes no sense at all.

I think it's as simple as him being out for Smith, with Bailey Williams getting a bit of a smack in the process. So maybe not simple, but justifiable.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-07-2023, 02:15 AM
Esserdon have blocked FFC normal members as before.

Mantis
21-07-2023, 07:48 AM
I think it's as simple as him being out for Smith, with Bailey Williams getting a bit of a smack in the process. So maybe not simple, but justifiable.

I think it’s a ridiculous decision.. why bring him back into the team off a really long lay off after just one VFL game and then yo-yo him out?

Maybe it was done out of necessity, but there were others players who he could’ve selected last week ahead of Garcia… I hope the messaging has been really clear though.

With everything being equal I’d hate to be a fringe player under Bevo.

Mantis
21-07-2023, 07:58 AM
A key defensive trio of Gardner, Keath and Bruce is deadset nightmare fuel.

Hook it into my veins! :cool:

G-Mo77
21-07-2023, 08:37 AM

Hard liquor tonight before the bounce. Might ease that nightmare a little

Mantis
21-07-2023, 08:42 AM
Hard liquor tonight before the bounce. Might ease that nightmare a little

I might start drinking now!

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2023, 12:27 PM

How much are you looking forward to Keath handballing at Gardner's feet, only for Ryan to cross the ball to Bruce, who then misses a target by 20m......

merantau
21-07-2023, 12:54 PM
Too much negativity is not good for anyone. Let's get first use of the ball, use it well, get numbers around the contest and kick straight. That will take care of the result. Go Dogs!

Mantis
21-07-2023, 01:44 PM
How much are you looking forward to Keath handballing at Gardner's feet, only for Ryan to cross the ball to Bruce, who then misses a target by 20m......

Which way is the bar?

mjp
21-07-2023, 01:45 PM
Too much negativity is not good for anyone. Let's get first use of the ball, use it well, get numbers around the contest and kick straight. That will take care of the result. Go Dogs!

I know what you're saying but I smile when I think of some of the Gardner growing pains...he has a crack and he's ours.

I know it can be frustrating to watch but to me - Keath, Gardner and Bruce really do embrace the footy club and whilst I'm sure they'll have me tearing my hair out (and there's not much of that) I don't begrudge them an opportunity...they'll give it their best and more than anything right now that's what we need...

EasternWest
21-07-2023, 01:50 PM
I know what you're saying but I smile when I think of some of the Gardner growing pains...he has a crack and he's ours.

I know it can be frustrating to watch but to me - Keath, Gardner and Bruce really do embrace the footy club and whilst I'm sure they'll have me tearing my hair out (and there's not much of that) I don't begrudge them an opportunity...they'll give it their best and more than anything right now that's what we need...

Can't like this enough. They're flawed but they're ours.

Rocco Jones
21-07-2023, 01:56 PM
Who do Gardy/Keath/Bruce play on?

Bruce on the resting ruck
Keath on 2MP
Gardy on Stringer/Langford

Axe Man
21-07-2023, 02:11 PM

Keath on 2MP

Sounds good (well maybe not good but the best we can do) to me. Gardner on Langford and Ed on Stringer.

Mofra
21-07-2023, 03:29 PM
Gardner really is a "no stone unturned" type and I love his effort.

My concern is how we get the ball out of defence. With both Bruce and Gardner there, it's going to take an eternity to switch the ball to the fat side if Essendon defend the get out kick effectively.

Luckily we have Naughts and Marra's hands. One of them simply has to play high at all times. That means Buks deep? I suppose it's where Lobb played

Rocket Science
21-07-2023, 04:46 PM

Keath on 2MP

https://i.ibb.co/b2RYKLj/Screen-Shot-2023-07-21-at-3-44-43-pm.png (https://ibb.co/BrKvCjH)

HOSE B ROMERO
21-07-2023, 06:33 PM

Gardy is the one i trust the most on current form.

HOSE B ROMERO
21-07-2023, 06:37 PM

That's just what my folks used to say about my sister and i.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2023, 07:03 PM
can't like this enough. They're flawed but they're ours.

vdm?

jeemak
21-07-2023, 07:04 PM
vdm?

Especially VDM.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2023, 07:06 PM
Especially VDM.

That was for EW in particular, thank you.